Council Member
Send Message
-sits up- ugh! Who drugged the coffee? -eats candy-

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
looks askance at arrow

"Nobody drugged the coffee. I think you crashed after eating all that candy. Do you really think you need to eat more of it? A sandwich or a wrap would be better. I'm happy to make you one. What would you like in it?"

stands up and heads toward the kitchen

"Smaug has now bought toothpaste."
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Eh, turkey wrap would be wonderful. -follows E-S-

limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
"I'll go..." (Stares after E~S and arrow forlornly as they leave for the kitchen.) "First."

(Picks up the donkey and sticks it on a wall. Ties the scarf around her eyes and spins around several times, while holding the tail. Moves forward slowly, trying not to trip. Reaches the wall but feels that it is blank. Gropes along the wall, trying to find the donkey.)

“May the hair on your toes never fall out!”

[Edited on 11/10/2015 by limwencaevudoriel]
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
So, uh, anyone care do dress up and do some live action RP?

limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
(Turns her head towards arrow's voice) "Yes, please. Do you have an idea for a story, or shall we try that murder mystery?"

(aside) Oh, the irony. We'll be playing a "live action" RP within a virtual RP. A virtual live action RP, perhaps?

[Edited on 11/10/2015 by limwencaevudoriel]
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
"Let's do the murder mystery!" Comes back in, dressed as Tauriel.

limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
(Slides scarf off her eyes and takes some paper and a pen from the cupboard. Folds five paper pockets and writes a person's name on each one. Tears another piece of paper into five sections and writes "no" on four pieces and "yes" on the fifth. Pulls the scarf back down and puts one torn section into each pocket. Removes the scarf and puts the pockets and the pen back into the cupboard.)

(to arrow) "Nice costume. Where did you find it?"

[Edited on 11/11/2015 by limwencaevudoriel]
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
"I made it. There are more in the box, but only of lord of the rings. Me and my friends sewed each one." -points to huge box-

Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
"Nice- can I borrow one?"
~Cool_Name~
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
(Approaches the box and looks through it. Takes out a flowing white gown and cloak and a silver circlet. Leaves the room and re-enters it dressed as Galadriel.)

"We'll start the game when everyone's finished getting ready."

(Goes into the kitchen and comes out carrying a mixing bowl of water. Puts it in the cupboard.)

Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
*Goes inside, comes out with random green-brown dress and bag.*
~Cool_Name~
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
*being somewhat older than her compatriots, and feeling exhausted ES leaves the party and heads for home*

"I'll leave you to it. I really need to get some sleep. If the party is still going later, I may check back in to see how things are going.

'night all!"
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
"Bye, ES! Was nice to see you!"
~Cool_Name~
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Stands watching others.- so, what's this murder mystery?

limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
(Waves sadly at E~S as she leaves the room.)

"I was originally going to wait until Cenor and E~S were ready, but E~S just left and Cenor appears to be asleep. Perhaps we should start without them. Do you think we should keep them as suspects?"

(Finds a Sindarin dictionary in the cupboard and looks through it feverishly, crouched on the floor. Flips pages back and forth, then stops in exasperation.)

(to Name) "Do you have a name for your character? If not, I've been trying to translate 'cool name' to Sindarin. It could literally translate to 'Himeneth', though I suspect that the dictionary entry for 'cool' is referring to temperature. For the past while, I've been trying to find a suitable synonym for 'cool'. What do you think of 'Maereneth' which means 'good name'? I've also found the word 'aglar', which means 'glory, brilliance or splendour'." (to the room at large) "If you know more Sindarin than I do, could you help?" (shrugs) "Perhaps we'll start the game anyway."

(Stands up as straight as possible in front of the cupboard and speaks solemnly, with a deeper voice than usual.) "My dear friends, a shadow has fallen upon this gathering at Lothlórien. Haldir has discovered near our borders the body of Gorthnir, who was struck down with an arrow and has now departed for the Halls of Mandos. The arrow was found to have been of Elven make and shot with great accuracy. I believe that Gorthnir's death was the work of Sauron, despite the final blow being at the hands of an Elf, who is likely to have no memory of this deed. You have been called here in order to identify who loosed the arrow, through reason and deduction. I shall then seek the aid of Elrond and Mithrandir, so we may remove the curse and guard ourselves against this threat. Does anyone wish to put forth an opinion?"

[Edited on 11/15/2015 by limwencaevudoriel]
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
-as taureil- I think we might investigate the body thoughly

limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
"When I examined Gorthnir's body, I noted no marks, save the arrow wound on his chest. I invite you to further investigate the body, Tauriel."

(breaking out of character and whispering to arrow) "Feel free to make up clues, by the way. We currently don't have much information to go by."

"Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you."
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
"Maybe we should look at his belongings? Do you see anything, Tauriel?"
~Cool_Name~
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Well, a note. -holds up paper

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
This thread is starting to take on the form of an RP thread which does not belong in this Forum. If you wish to take it to that level, please open a thread in the appropriate section of the RPG forum.
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
Sorry, E~S. Should we stop playing this game within a game? Having said that, you said that a murder mystery game would be exciting when I first suggested it. Perhaps I should have explained further, as I assumed that a murder mystery game would involve role-playing. However, you also didn't object when arrow first mentioned "live action RP", which occurred before you left. The virtual sleepover didn't have any rules when the thread was first created. Should we put some in place now?
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
-watches silently as my elders try to reach a decision-

Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
-still tries to wrap her head around the whole idea...-
~Cool_Name~
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I don't have any objection to you having a game within a game as long as you don't take on the identity of a third party. Some guidelines (as opposed to rules) would be welcome. Any suggestions?
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
In that case, it appears that we can continue our murder mystery game, as long as flyingarrow and I stop playing as Tauriel and Galadriel. Are you sure that you don't want to play, E~S?

As I am the newest member of this thread, I'm not sure that I'm particularly useful for suggesting guidelines, but here are my thoughts. Firstly, is it that we can't add a second layer of role-playing or that we can't use characters created by Tolkien? As far as I can tell, this is a role-playing game, in which we play as ourselves in the setting of a sleepover. In my case, I considered myself to be "in character" when my text is neither in italics nor an aside. Wouldn't a murder mystery game require that second layer of role-playing, as none of the sleepover attendees have committed a murder? By my current reasoning, the problem lies in using a name other than our usernames.

It also appears that we're able to add to the sleepover space as we play. For example, it began as a gym with mattresses and pillows, but a kitchen and a cupboard were added. Items such as food and the bow and arrows also materialise midway through the game. I suggest that all players are allowed to mention new objects in the room, as long as they don't contradict each other.
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds good, and I think I could play a victim- that would also make it possible for me to bring in random evidence, you could think of it as some form of ghost. Then we had a victim and could simply go on...
~Cool_Name~
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
Would that mean you know who the murderer is and we'll have one less suspect? Right now, no one knows who the murderer is, so the game focuses on the role-playing and really uses trial and error. Originally, when we decide on a single suspect, I was going to use a "Mirror of Galadriel" to see whether that suspect is guilty.
limwencaevudoriel said:(Slides scarf off her eyes and takes some paper and a pen from the cupboard. Folds five paper pockets and writes a person's name on each one. Tears another piece of paper into five sections and writes "no" on four pieces and "yes" on the fifth. Pulls the scarf back down and puts one torn section into each pocket. Removes the scarf and puts the pockets and the pen back into the cupboard.)

limwencaevudoriel said:(Goes into the kitchen and comes out carrying a mixing bowl of water. Puts it in the cupboard.)

[Edited on 11/30/2015 by limwencaevudoriel]
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
*Looks with wonder, thinking about how the two got this ideas*
~Cool_Name~
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
-re-enters- wphew!!! I've been gone a while! Hi ! What'd I miss?

limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
"Hello, arrow. Not much has happened - we've just been trying to decide how to play the role-playing game from now on. We haven't come to much of a conclusion yet, unfortunately. Do you have any ideas?"

"I would love to be an Orc."
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
(waves cheerfully) "Hello, E~S! It's good to have you back. Could you explain that greeting, please? Also, if you have any ideas about how to play our murder mystery game, could you help us?"

"Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you."
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
* waves back*

"Hi limwen! I see that things have gotten quiet around here. I guess everyone has finally fallen asleep."
I'm not sure how you can realistically set up a murder mystery in this thread. It seems to me that to create a scenario of this sort, you will need to create variable theories as to why the murder has taken place, characters of different natures, clues, and possible solutions.

It will be a huge undertaking, and one I feel is better suited to the Roleplay Forum where plots, characters, and such can be properly defined.

Finally, unless you have enough people who are willing to fully commit to the project, the thread will eventually peter out.
I believe the initial intention of this thread was that it would be a simple slumber party, and that is how I would like it to stay.
limwencaevudoriel
Council Member
Send Message
I suppose so. Perhaps we'll be best off abandoning that game, then.

"Believe me, it does get boring being the only one awake. Having to be quiet can be a big restriction." (Holds up bow and arrows.) "I was just about to make some hot chocolate in the kitchen - would you like to come?" (standing up and picking her way through the pillows, mattresses and people) "By the way, what does 'bump' mean, with regards to your greeting?"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email