Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Reviving the Book Club?
on: January 17, 2016 02:08
I'm considering picking a Tolkien authored book and discussing it in the Book Club while doing so. I'd like to start in March or April, so that I have some time to prepare.

Is anyone else interested and are there any suggestions as to which book to discuss? It can be one of the early books, or one of the more recent non-Middle-earth volumes.

Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds interesting how about the Silmarillion?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I could go for reading The Silmarillion again. I have read it many times, but the time I read it with a book buddy was the best and the easiest to understand.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
The Silmarillion is the next on my list after I finally finish the Hobbit.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
My original paperback Sil actually looks like it would survive another read! (The middle third of my paperback TT is lose-leaf ). And anyway, I have an unread hardcover backup.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
I have a lot of stickies in my Sil because I used it for research when I wrote fan fic a long time ago. I'd go for doing it again as well. Just have to find it amongst the boxes. Already sort of packing for our move next year to the wilds of Colorado.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Looks like we have a book. I'll need help once I get us going.
Should we try the old format of Questions, a Quote to discuss and some Illustrations to support the text?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Could we also have a general discussion about what we have read?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
A general discussion sounds like a good idea. I hope to participate as much as possibly, though college homework may get in the way a little.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I would definitely be interested in rereading The Silmarillion, and very interested a general discussion about it.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, but yes, questions, quotes and an illustration is great.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
I'll set a target date of March first, as I have to figure set up the forum for the book.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds great to me. Will we be reading a chapter every week?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Linda, are you serious??? As I have experienced this week, trying to stop me reading any book that interests at any arbitrary point (and yes, in that sense even chapters are arbitrary!) is like trying to stop an avalanche on a steep slope!

Guess I'll have to do one, perhaps two feverish read-throughs in the first week to be able to settle down to a weekly discussion. But then, I have not taken part in any discussion here to date, so we shall see.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
March 1st sounds good to me.
DragonxKing
Council Member
Send Message
I'd love to get involved with this.
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings, I am new to this site but would love to join in a discussion of The Silmarillion. It is my favorite book, but have never had a chance to discuss it with fellow fans. This should be fun!
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, Gando, yes I am serious. How can we possibly read more than one chapter a week and still have time for discussion? Not everyone is here everyday nor at the same time so it will not be rapid fire posting as in a chatroom. Some chapters are just a few pages long but others are much longer than that. I believe there are nine of us that will be reading. We all can't read a chapter in one day, hurry and get here to see what we will be discussing, post, wait for the others, discuss, post again and so on. Some chapters might warrant more discussion than others as well.

Your comment on doing one or two feverish read-throughs amused me. Feverish? The Silmarillion doesn't deserve to be read feverishly. It is a book to be languished over. To be savoured. Sipped, not gulped.
elfmaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
This I would be very interested in joining, if that is okay??? I have only read the Sil once, and I have been meaning to read it again.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
You would be most welcome, elfmaiden! It's always nice to see new members participate in site activities.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I think sweet Song is the only one of us who never read The Silmarillion. I hope she enjoys it and I am glad she will be reading it with us as a book club.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
It is certainly not a book to be rushed through in one sitting. There are many stories and many themes, and all require our full and engaged investigation. Even a week is too short a time in this busy and distracting life we lead. Perhaps it is not fitting to circumscribe our deliberations with a crude and restrictive delineation such as a week. No. Each part should be read and discussed until there is little more to say and then, and only then, should we move on.

Forgive the flowery language, I've just finished watching the BBC 'War And Peace' series. Pretty good but it did get a bit soap scripty in the middle.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:Your comment on doing one or two feverish read-throughs amused me. Feverish? The Silmarillion doesn't deserve to be read feverishly...

To me, The Silmarillion is by now a compressed summary of about 7 books of HoME, parts of UT, and The Children of Hurin (which I have in German and English versions). So what will most likely make it feverish is not the actual reading, but the memories of more expanded versions of some tales, including some early versions which were later discarded, sometimes contradicted - including interruptions in reading to go back to those other sources. Maybe like my first viewing of FoTR the movie in the cinema back in January 2002, which I had to repeat about three days later, because I had not really seen the movie due to making mental lists of PJ's errors (and then I bought both the cinematic and the extended versions on DVD ...) Need to get it out of my system, to be able to concentrate on what is actually written in the Sil - or something like that ... Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Tomorrow is March 1. Will the reading of The Silmarillion begin? Will there be a format to follow?
elfmaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
I'm going to start reading today....Is anyone else?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Sorry for the delay. I've had some medical issues and a stack of appointments, but I'll try to get everything started on Sunday. Note that the Book Club forum will still contain the wrong book title until I can get someone to change it.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I hope you are feeling better. Should we start to read the Ainulindale?
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
I am prepared to start reading the Ainulindale. In fact, I may just go start reading it now.
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I read a few pages a little while ago.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
I need to find and crack my Sil once more. Have one with a lot of stickies in it from when I wrote Elrond fanfic. If others want to go again, I'll do my best to reread it yet again.
Galadriel87
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, I'd love to read this eventually. I just need to read the Hobbit and LoTR books again before moving to that..

[Edited on 03/25/2016 by Galadriel87]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I think I'll do a re-read of Children of Hurin.....
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I'd love to join in, if it isn't too late! I've read The Sil once, but I'd love to read it again with all of you.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
It's never too late. . And, welcome back! It's nice seeing you around. Image
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome back, Maxie! Image And as E~S posted, it's never too late - especially since we've only progressed to chapter 2 of QS proper (and the latest post comments on chapter 1).
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email