Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sora_summernight
Council Member
Send Message
Post Glorfindel vs Arwen
on: June 09, 2002 03:06
Glorfindel has my vote, he was my favourite character.....

[Edited on 9/9/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 14/5/2004 by atalante_star]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Post RE: Glorfindel vs Arwen
on: June 09, 2002 04:48
yeah that was me, Yano...I said I didn't buy it in the film that Elrond would send his only daughter out against Ringwraiths after what happened to his wife Celebrian. Anyway, my vote's for Glorfindel.....I don't have anything against Arwen in the movie personally (yet! heehee) except for that scene...it just doesn't fit....
FrodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2002 06:07
Agree, Yano, biut would have prefered the book's interpretation of Weathertop and flight tot he ford.
SomeStranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2002 06:22
Oh, definetly Glorinfeld, (not for marrying Aragorn, of cource, lol)

Although I like Arwen, the whole part before Aragorn I didn't quite enjoy.

Although I could understand the director - don't you think that for first-timers it would be a bit too confusing, to add another character and all..
Hathaldir
Ent Enthusiast
Send Message
on: June 09, 2002 10:47
I can see why PJ did it, but I really wish he hadn't. This is the one point (and only one) that I think Bakshi's version is better on. Still no Glorfindel, but Legolas instead! (even if
he does look like a cross-eyed ballet dancer)

Glorfindel's scene would have been great, and the part I always remember is Frodo's view back to where Asfaloth had taken him from, and he saw Glorfindel shining white.
elbereth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2002 06:00
well I was really looking forward to seeing who would be Glorfindal...but that was changed...but I don't remember Elrond sending out Arwen to look for Aragorn...I thought that she went out herself to look for them since maybe she was worried about Frodo.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 02:00
Well that's just an assumption on my part (that her father sent her) and it's never indicated in the movie...I suppose that movie Arwen could have taken matters into her own hands and left without her father's permission..
Elerrina
Lady of the Golden Wood
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 07:12
I suppose that movie Arwen could have taken matters into her own hands and left without her father's permission..

Somehow, even though Arwen was an adult Elf, it doesn't appear to me that she had that much autonomy. Just my opinion in that case, tho.

I like your new icon Aowyn! It is new, isn't it?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 12, 2002 07:45
Why yes it is, Elerrina....I needed a change.
I also got the impression that Arwen wouldn't "go behind her father's back" (I hate using that term but it's the only one I can think of at the moment) and go find Aragorn and Frodo on her own. On the other hand, in the books it seems like she knows her father won't approve of her choice of Aragorn and she chooses to become involved with him anyway ( of course, do you really have a choice if you love someone? Depends on who you ask I guess).
I guess it's all a matter of who's interpreting, in what way...
Silme
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2002 01:06
I remember a time when the only film interpretations of the books we had were the Bakshi and Rankin Bass versions, so the Glorfindel/Arwen bit really doesn't bother me. I actually thought it was rather clever, since I wondered how they were going to make a film audience understand why Aragorn would choose Arwen over Eowyn if they only saw her once in Rivendel and again at their wedding. It was a interesting way to give her character some developement without changing too many other elements.

What I did miss however, was Frodo telling the Wraiths "you shall have neither the ring, nor me!" That's always been one of my favorite moments in the book, and it's too bad we didn't get to see it in the film. Oh well, film isn't a perfect medium after all, and it really could have been worse. In a perfect world, we would have gotten Glorfindel and Tom Bombadil.
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: July 02, 2002 01:26
Glorfindel all the way! Arwen did do the part well-I love that part wher'e she's racing along the crest of the hill-but the whole scene at the ford, with the shining Glorfindel, and Frodo's bravery-he's made out to be such a wimp in that part of the movie-would have been really, really cool. Maybe all of us should get together and act out all the scenes they took out of the movie (Tom Bombadill, the Ford, the Hall of Fire, Gildor, etc, etc.), film them, then somehow add them to our copies of the movie (If we all had VHSs) There's a creek in my neighborhood we could use, and a horse farm (Horse stables?) down the road. Ahh, I know it wouldn't work. But I can dream, can't I?
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2002 02:09
yes gil,Arwen did look good racing towards the ford,but i would have liked 2 see frodo on the horse,as it was in the book .
And like u said,frodo seemed 2 week 4 my liking....
but u know..i kind of like your suggestion about acting out those missed out chapters ourselves,now that would be fun!!it probably wouldnt look as good,but at least we would get it right!! LOL
Silme
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2002 03:35
I suppose the one thing that does bug me is that it did take away from Frodo's character a bit. I'm hoping he'll get a chance to kick some bum in the next two installments.
Anor
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2002 04:33
I think we need to remember that this is Jacksons transformation and interpretation of Tolkiens work and he has every right to change what he wants- personally i think Arwen is prettier and i love the lines she has in the movie- 'If you want him, come and claim him!'
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2002 03:39
yes slime,i hope frodo does get his act together!and im sure TTT will be really good

in regards to your comment Anor,i don't really think its fair to say that PJ has the right to change what he wants in the book 4 the film! i mean,he didnt write the book 4 starters! If tolkien were alive,im sure PJ wouldn't have made the movie so different..
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 09, 2002 06:52
if Tolkien were alive PJ wouldn't have made the movie

he would stop from the moment he found out the professor was a mad controll freak

no, honestly, we all want our babies to be what we want them to be, but in the end: when you have told your story, you have got to let go - Shakespeare did his best work whilst changing someone elses story to make it more exciting for the crowd
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2002 12:36
Well,figwit,i guess PJ would run away scared!lol
but maybe Tolkien would "let it go" as u say and give PJ the thumbs up

i personally liked the movie version too-Arwen did look good riding the horse!and i liked the way she said "if u want him come and claim him!"
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 10, 2002 08:33
yes cutehobbit, I also liked the way Liv looked in that scene
as a book-fan, I was a little bit disappointed about the changes in her character, but from the director's point of view, it does make sense

well, that's the wonder of life: everybody's always a little right and a little wrong
cutehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2002 12:26
well said figwit,everyone is a little right & a little wrong!lol,especially when it comes 2 directors.
since u mention that u are a book fan,may i ask u a small question?? admittedly,i am reading the fellowship now,but i always imagined Arwen 2 be the way she was in the movie-like Luthien(sorry,i think i misspelled that-i hope u know who i mean) . After all,she was the last born of Luthien's kind and i thought Arwen would be like her character??

but i guess ill find out at the end of the book!
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 13, 2002 10:25
just keep reading on and on untill you reach the appendices.... I personally have a very dinstinct image of what Arwen should've been like, it's in the Movie Section / Poll: Discussion - about the changes to Arwen... there are some interesting views on her there
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: July 13, 2002 10:33
i don't like how they changed her role...but consider the flack the movie would get if they had no strong female character throughout. I mean..Galadriel's just creepy in the movie (i don't agree with THAT one either, but don't get me started on that).

I would have liked to see Glorfindel, but I can live with Arwen. the one thing I can't stand about her though is how passive she is. Like..there's no emotion in her voice. Either that or too much. And she speaks fairly slowly as well.

Cutehobbit, I don't mean to sound like a meaniehead here (good lord I said meaniehead...) but when the rights were bought to film Lord of the Rings, artistic license was handed over, so yes, he does in fact have the right to change whatever he pleases. MUCH TO MY DISMAY...
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: July 13, 2002 10:33
hmm...okay I'm not just saying this because I drool over Arwen...which I do :drool: but I'm gonna have to say Arwen, she did a really good job as Arwen..very belivable as an elf and just good acting all together, and seriously...what did Glorfindel do in the first place...the same thing Arwen did only alot less...and I agree, yes she stole one of Frodo's best lines..sure...but then what does he do...his sword breaks and he falls of the horse...wow!...okay I'm done...I'm sorry but I'm apparently the only one...Arwen!...you have my vote lovely :love:
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 13, 2002 11:05
mmmm VoS, are you sure you're being objective about this?

anyway, what I wanted to say, Trig, is this: you know the scene where Arwen stand behind Aragorn and does the 'heir of Isildur' thing? she speaks slow, without any emotion, and yet that is how I imagined Arwen to be
Liv Tyler is perfect in that one scene, and that makes up for all the other scenes where she ... er... close your ears VoS *sucks*

about Cate Blanchett as Galadriel: again I think she's perfect - don't forget that she was not only very old, but she was also sick of Middle Earth, she wanted very much to go overseas and not just since a few weeks but since a whole era!
I think she got that 'old' feel very well... I don't think magic always has to be beautiful and warm and everything...
I never really liked Galads until I saw Cates performance ... well, except for the bonkers thing
and there's one thing that makes me appreciate her even more: the HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:love: :love:

Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 14, 2002 10:06
Fig, I will give you that Arwens's effective in the scene about the heir of Isildur

Galadriel,well..they didn't have enough time to get her true 'self' across. I don't have any problems with how she went nuts when Frodo put out the Ring, because i understand it. And when I read the books, she doesn't seem very 'natural' at all right then. I don't like how people who haven't read the books and went and saw the movie (75% of my friends) came out thinking she was a villian, because they didn't have enough time to set her up. When she comes down the stairway, the general thought amongst my friends was that she was going to kill someone before the night was over.

The entire scene with Frodo, I think, was actually well done. It conveys Galadriel's fear of the Ring, which let's face it, she was scared of not having the strength in her to say no and what she would do once the Ring was hers. I think after that, she started to come off more as she was in the book. Helpful but mysterious though above all a 'good guy' so to speak. But I also think that the transition came across too late.

Granted the problem with that of course is that after reading the book and knowing how it was, it's sometimes kind of hard to step back and say 'okay, her attitude, power, grace, majesty and fear would be near impossible to convey on the screen without one dominant emotion/state prevailing' and I suppose in this case, her emotion towards fear of the ring was what was most viewers reacted to most strongly.

But I'm getting off topic...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 14, 2002 10:31
. When she comes down the stairway, the general thought amongst my friends was that she was going to kill someone before the night was over.

LOL I never thought of it that way....because I already knew about her. That's funny.
Trignifty
Send Message
on: July 14, 2002 01:17
Yeah, I was like that too. Because I knew what was going to happen, she didn't bother me all that much. But I don't like how people 'unversed in the worldy ways of Tolkien' have taken negatively to her. At least the ones I know. Because she's exactly the opposite.
Figwit
Send Message
on: July 14, 2002 10:13
LOL, well, I guess it's understandable, but then they probably didn't pay much attention to what happens after the Birthbath of Doom scene....

well, I understand your opinion Trig... you have a nice way of stating your view
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 07:00
Glorfindel. Oh yes, Glorfindel.
Not only did Arwen "steal" the part of another character, but she stole Elrond and Gandalf's credit for the river flood.

And, I don't know about you guys, but I was rather looking forward to seeing an Elf lord revealed in his wrath when the remaining Nazgul were driven into the river.
UtopiaEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2002 10:20
Well, I really wish Glorfindel's part was kept (I rather liked him), but I also agree with most of you. Those who don't bother to read the books would have been confused by the marriage...it would have seemed kind of random. But I don't really like how she was portrayed as the elf version of Eowyn. Actually she reminds me of Drew Barrymore's character in Ever After. Come on, the daughter of Lord Elrond is going to be roaming the woods alone as this ass kicking elf chick? I think not. But I can live with the changes. I think Liv Tyler is absolutely beautiful, but I'm not sure I liked her as the character. *shrugs*
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 29, 2002 03:21
-Arwen- i did miss Glorfindel but I tought that replacing him with Arwen did not hurt the plot and enhanced Arwen's role for the non-readers.
Rather than just being the girl that Aragorn is to marry she now has a solid place in the story; It puts her up with Galadriel and Eowyn as strong female characters.
Also we neede a couple of women in the film for the men to moonl over ( I noticed that the women have no shortage of characters to drool over in the film) :heart: :heart: :heart:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 11, 2002 08:14
i dont think it would have mattered to me if the scene had remained as it was in the book.

i could have coped with missing Glorfindel. its the whole "if you want him come and claim him thing" and the fact that frodo doesnt get to show off his bravery.

if they had kept that bit in i wouldnt have minded arwens role.

Rather than just being the girl that Aragorn is to marry she now has a solid place in the story; It puts her up with Galadriel and Eowyn as strong female characters.

she still could have had a strong female role fighting off the wraiths at the bank.

but anyway. PJ changed it and its still a great film. my vote goes to glorfindel

Gwenevere
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2002 11:38
Oh, I defintely think that Glorfindel should've been there instead of Arwen. The movie made Arwen seem as if she was a shield-maiden and she is quite the opposite.

"If you want him, come and claim him" gets me every time. I saw the movie before I read the book, and I was very pleased to see that it wasn't Arwen who showed up. Not like I have anything against her ^_^;

TTT should prove to be very interesting. I hope they don't mess with it too much.
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: September 06, 2002 10:34
hey hey now!...without P.J there would be no LotR movie...and we'd be stuck talking about Bakshi! . Like I said...Arwen did the same thing and got the job done (even though she did take Frodo's greatest line) but besides that...psssh!...who cares! (yes I know everyone here does) but seriously, if Glorfindel was there instead of Arwen, do you really think the part would change...just because it's Glorfindel...he was just expanding on Arwen's character to show that she wasn't just some elf fluzie from Rivendell that Aragorn the pervy hobbit fancier falls in love with...so in essance...Glorfindel...just had to take one for the team!

And as for Tom...well...I just won't go there...
Hathaldir
Ent Enthusiast
Send Message
on: September 06, 2002 01:14
Glorfindel.... he was such a nice elf, whi did Arwen had to replace him? I hate PJ he such a fat dude! :angry: :angry: :angry: Tolkien would have never permit them to have erased Tom and Glorfindel, Arwen didn't even spoke in the books! :angry: Glorfindel is better!

Do you hate PJ for making the whole movie? If he hadn't, this site probably wouldn't be here.
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: September 09, 2002 07:10
Look on the bright side: PJ could've invented an entirely new character instead of building on one that already existed.

And, as much as I hate to say it, Glorfindel was expendable. The Ford scene was more or less all he did in the book, so why should they pay another actor thousands/millions of dollars to appear for a few minutes when Liv's salary was already frozen?

(another post that sounded better in my head... I'm so off today)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email