Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post What scene would you add...?
on: February 17, 2003 09:16
If you could add any scene to the Fellowship of the Ring movie that was in the book that wasn't in the movie...which one would you add?
Alot of people would say Tom Bombadil and Goldberry (which is not a bad idea...they're great characters) but my opinion is a little different.
Probably the absolute cutest scene in the book (in my opinion) is when Sam, Frodo, ands Pippin arrive at Crickhollow and Merry and Fatty(?) are waiting for them with three bathtubs. Pippin starts singing and splashes water all over the room!!(its so funny...) it really helps to establish Pippin's character, as well as everybody elses. It wasn't neccesary to the movie (and pretty immpossible since they never went to Crickhollow) but I guess the scene could have been in Bag End.
So what scene would you add...?
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: What scene would you add...?
on: February 17, 2003 10:12
Those are my favourite scenes in the book! I really wish that they had Crickhollow in the movie. And the barrow-downs. I would love to see how tht would have been shot. I often wonder what the barrow-wights would really look like! :evil:
Or maybe more interaction between Frodo and Bilbo. And they could have shown that it was really a long time after Gandalf tells Frodo of the Ring's actual power and before he sets off on the road to Rivendell. It was like 10 years or so in the book, but a few seconds on screen. I think it would be important to show that (at least the way i see it).
I am so critical at times, anyone please feel free to contradict me!

Luv
~~*iarfalaswen*~~
Lintelómiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 12:36
Being the predictable, annoying Legolas-fangirl I am, I would have liked to see a little more Legolas-Gimli-interaction, I guess. For example:

- Legolas dragging a mourning Gimli away from Balin's tomb;
- the "The Dwarves did not make the evil" "I said not so; yet evil came"-discussion at the shore of Nimrodel;
- Legolas taking Gimli with him on his wanderings into Lothlorien;
- Legolas comforting Gimli at their departure from Lothlorien;

and so on!

[Edited on 17/2/2003 by Lintelómiel]
sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 07:47
My first thought was Farmer Maggot and his wife. They are good characters, and it would've given us more time to see the hobbits as hobbits without Great People around them, without necessitating the entire Old Forest/Barrowdowns sequence. I mourn Frodo's brave moment at the Barrowdowns more than the loss of Tom, because I wished there were time for a little more of Frodo as party leader before Strider took charge.

My second is Barliaman helping Frodo in Bree-- especially bringing the letter of Gandalf to Frodo with All that is gold does not glitter, and also getting Bill for them in the morning. They didn't come on Merry's ponies, but one could explain it as Butterbur's attempt to make up for not sending the letter.

My third wish is to have the Council of Elrond have the "Sword that was Broken" prophecy and Gimli/Gloin's news from the Mountain. Er, that is, to have a council, instead of just a ring-triggered argument. I gather it may be different on the Extended DVD.

Regardless, the movie as it stands is pretty danged near perfect, in my eyes. This from someone who tends to quote along word for word while listening to the Beeb audiotapes of the books. Every change made sense to me and didn't appear to violate the spirit of Tolkien, apart perhaps from some fundamental philosophical changes like having Aragorn start out with doubts.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 12:25
I would have wanted to see these scenes:

* Frodo scaring off the Ringwraiths: By Elbereth...! Wonderful part...

* The feast in the Halls Of Fire in Rivendell

* Gimli naming the Mountains in Hollin

* Legolas going to find the sun (and more of Legolas - Gimli bickering)

* Durin's hymn in Khazad-dûm (I wouldn't have minded if Gimli had to recite it rather than sing, but it's such a mighty set of verses...)

* Galadriel singing praise of the splendour of Khazad-dûm

* the original confrontation between Éomer and the Three Hunters

* more of the internal quarrels of the band of Orcs and Uruks

and lots more

to choose only one? that's an impossible question!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 12:49
Legolas going to find the sun

:love:

also i would add in more of Gimlis dwarven pride. its a shame that alot of his character got missed in developing the otheres so some of his reasons for doing things seem odd (to non book readers). when he takes frodo down to look in the mirror mere. and other scenes - the mountians as figwit mentioned and some of the arguments that show hes just as proud of his heratige and traditions as the elves, men and hobbits.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 12:56
. when he takes frodo down to look in the mirror mere. and other scenes and some of the arguments that show hes just as proud of his heratige and traditions as the elves, men and hobbits.

yes k, I quite agree... it's kind of sad that most movie goers see the Dwarf as a funny odd creature, whilst in the book he drags along with him his entire splendid culture. now he gets defined by compearing him to the others (taller than a Hobbit, not as gracious as the Elves...)

Nimloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 03:30
also i would add in more of Gimlis dwarven pride. its a shame that alot of his character got missed in developing the otheres ...

I agree, k - Gimli's character is rather underdeveloped. I almost felt as if he was being degraded to a buffoon in a pantomime. Maybe it had something to do with poor John Rhys-Davies only being able to be on set every fourth day because he had to recover from the make-up in between ...

I would have liked to see the scene where Gimli takes Legolas to the Glittering Caves. But I do seem to remember reading somewhere that that will be on the dvd ... I hope so!
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 05:46
-- The original meeting of Frodo, Sam, and Faramir. I wanted so badly to see Sam scold him, standing while Faramir sat and still be eye-to-eye.

-- Aragorn and Gandalf's disagreement about which way to go: Caradhras or Moria.

-- The pressure placed on Aragorn after Gandalf's fall. They hint at it (the expression on his face before he runs up the stairs and during the Celeborn/Galadriel meeting in Lorien

-- Bruinen scene with Frodo vs Wraiths as opposed to Arwen

-- Sam and Frodo climbing down the elven rope**

-- Eomer and Gimli's exchange concerning Galadriel**

** -- may be on the extended DVD, so I'm not despairing quite yet

[Edited on 2/18/03 by Parmadur]
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 07:13
More development of the Council of Elrond...like the reason the Dwarves have come and more of an explanation of why Boromir's there...I know he speaks of a dream but there's not a whole lot of explanation of why he showed up.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 09:28
good news to all who want more of gimli's dwarven pride...theres so much much more of that on the x10ded dvd!!!:love:
theres so much more character developement its unbelievable.

great ideas yall!!

~Newra
ps
i think PJ said that a deleted scene (that wil obviously be in the x10ded dvd of ttt) would be of the rope frodo and sam climb
CelebElin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2003 06:29
I thought that for the most part the movie was good but here's what iwould add::

*make is seem longer until the quest begins (wasn't Frodo supposed to be like 40 or 50??)
*Tom Bombadil...he's a great and very perplexing character
*the Barrow downs
*and.......most of all the passing of theelves (morethan they show in the xed dvd)...with Frod o speakingelvishand stuff!!!!:heart: i loved this scene in the book.
*and alos the Hall of Fire in Rivendell, that was a good scene too.

Also fro TTT i thought there should have been more Ent charactter development (I LOVE:love: Ents) and more Merry and Pippin (with the Ents!!!!!)
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 20, 2003 09:01
(celebelin...love your signature!!!)
i saw somwhere, not sure if its true but i hope it is, that there's alot of deleted scenes in ttt, including more the treebeard and merry and pippin, including the entwash! which will be awesome!!! i know the main reason for skipping so much like tom and the barrow downs the more of the woodelves was for time. as pj and fran said, tolkien was very leisurly as far as time, but they didn't have that leisure. oh well. still, you are all right that it would have been cool with those scenes, but other than that the movie couldn't possibly be any better, in my opinion!!

~Newra
Gypsy
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2003 09:27
I think I'd add the 'A Conspiracy Unmasked' bit. I found it very touching, the way Frodo expects no-one to know about the ring and EVERYONE does! Also it's a good bit of character developement for Merry. I think it's him that says this, which has to be one of the cutest quotes in the book; "We are your friends Frodo. We are horribly afraird....but we are coming with you". *sniff sniff* so touching.
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: February 20, 2003 02:37
*points to signature down below* That would be my first choice

More about why Merry and Pippin joined Frodo and Sam on their journey would have been nice. One second they're stealing carrots out of Farmer Maggot's field, and the next they're on a great quest, with no explanation as to why or how they came to join the others.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Furry-footed_Nerf_Herder
Pippinatic
Send Message
on: February 20, 2003 05:35
I would love to see the part where Treebeard adds hobbits into the song about the races, that would be awesome. Also I think that I would like to see more of the journey of Pippin and Merry with the orcs, I felt that it was cut short. It felt like they were traveling for only a few days.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 22, 2003 08:16
well, supposedly there's going to be more of that as well.
elven_princess2935
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 11:28
I can't think of much right now, but what I can think of right now would definately be the scenes with Tom Bombadill. I would also like to see Legolas sing that song about Nimrodel. :love:
soph-cat
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 09:12
I WOULD ADD GLORFINDEL

*cries*
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2003 11:42
Probably the absolute cutest scene in the book (in my opinion) is when Sam, Frodo, ands Pippin arrive at Crickhollow and Merry and Fatty(?) are waiting for them with three bathtubs. Pippin starts singing and splashes water all over the room!!(its so funny...)

I competely agree!!!!!! that was one of my favourites!!!! everytime i think about it i start laughing but then Pippin is one of my fave characters:heart:! I think that would be the scene I would add, although there are probably others that I can't think of right now!
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 12:03
I just remembered a million other scenes that I want to see! so bear with me...or just skip over me..this could be a while lol!
In FOTR:
-more of legolas and gimli, i felt they were a bit underdeveloped, but i was really happy with the way the developed legolas in two towers (see lintelomiel's post )
-the feasting and the hall of fire in rivendell!!!!!!!! it was really awesome!
- basically just make the movie 6 hours long
In TTT:
seeing as there hasn't been an extended dvd yet, i'm listing everything but some might be on it (fingers crossed)
- gimli and eomer's exchanges about galadriel
- gimli in the glittering caves at helm's deep! but I have hope that some mention of this will be given in EE or ROTK...
- more post-battle stuff! maybe it was just me, but it seemed to end a bit abruptly y'know?
- more frodo/sam/faramir as I feel that we needed to get to know faramir a little more...
- more eomer! more merry and pippin! etc etc etc
i heard that the first cut of ROTK was 6 hours long!:O :love: I suppose this is bad because they will have a lot to cut, but someone said that with the actual theatrical cut, new line were gonna let PJ go to three and a half to four hours!:love: probably not true though..but does anyone wonder how they will fit almost half of TTT and all of ROTK into a 3 hour movie??
Karin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 02:45
Scenes I'd like to add in Fellowship of the ring:

Old man willow

Crickhollow

Glorfindel rescuing Frodo instead of Arwen. I really like her character in the movies but this scene is so GLORFINDEL!

More about the hobbits, Hobbiton and Barliman(it's his swedish name -I don't know it in english...)

More about Legolas-maybe a little about Mirkwood and where he comes from.

The dwarves!
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 06:54
When the hobbits are with Strider and they discover Bilbo's stone trolls, thinking they are real, and Strider hits one with a stick yelling something like "Get up old stone!" (don't bite me if I misquote, I don't have a book handy ) It would have been neat to see more of Aragorn's sense of humor, he had a good one

The Ford. It would have been awesome to see Frodo ride the elven horse on his own

The blindfolding of the Fellowship in Lorien and Gimli and Legolas' disagreement about the stiff necks of eachothers races

There's more I would have liked to see, but I still love the movie, so I'll stop now
Gorothtellumaiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2003 03:02
I know it sounds biased cuz I luv Orlando Bloom:love: but I would've put more scenes w/ him and Gimli in. Also the barrow-downs. In the second movie I would DEFINITELY have put more on the Ents and the whole thing w/ the Huorns @ Helm's Deep in, cuz that scene ROCKED in the book! I can't wait to see Shelob!:evil:
GuardofLorien25
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2003 06:43
Personally I agree with Newra I really liked the part with Pippin's bath song. It really gave an introduction to what he was really like. A silly little Hobbit. It does make a lot of sense why people would like to have Tom Bombadil and Golberry that was another one of my favorite parts in the book. I loved how he kept saving the hobbits from the forest. But the scene I would like to have seen in the movie that wasn't there would probably be the Pippin Bath Song part.
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: March 08, 2003 06:06
What about GILDOR!? I would very much like to see Gildor save little Frodo Baggins hehe. Tqoud be very nice indeed.

I wouldnt mind that addition of Glorfindel either. I can see the reasons for the cut, but still .

Definitly wouldnt exile Eomer. Would stick closer to the book on this one.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 09, 2003 01:09
(this obviously does not apply to evry1, but...yall NEED to see the EE of FOTR!!!!!
(theres so much more...you could never live without it if you only knew.....)

~Newra
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 17, 2003 07:08
One of my favorite characters is Tom Bombadil, so naturally I'm a little miffed that the scenes with him and Goldberry were cut. However, that is not the entire reason I wish more of Tom was shown in FotR.

To me, one of the most important scenes in FotR was when Tom finally asks to see 'the precious Ring', puts it on and is completely unaffected by its powers.

Too often have I heard, "Oh, if only there was hope!". For these four Hobbits, there is hope lying within Tom Bombadil. This being, this enigma, is completely unaffected by the Ring and all the Evil it contains. Another Tom vs. the Ring moment I found interesting was the fact that Tom could see Frodo even though Frodo was wearing the Ring! To me, that is incredible. For not only could Tom Bombadil withstand the powers of the Ring whilst it was on his finger, but he could see *through* the effects of the Ring. Until now, no one has been able make light of the Ring.. except Tom.

I am also aware that too much hope could equal many cheesie moments. But I also believe, that where the Ring is concerned, one cannot have *enough* hope. This Ring, this seemingly insignificant trinket, has the power to corrupt and destroy anything that comes into its path. So why NOT add a bit more hope to the movie? (:
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2003 04:54
The part in FOTR where the fellowship is camping near the base of the mountains and the wolf-like thingados come and attack them and Gandalf sets the trees on fire and Legolas' arrow catches fire in midair-any one else know wut I'm talkin bout-or agree??
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 09:55
yeah, the wargs. good idea!

~Newra
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2003 12:22
Several:

~The brave Frodo moment at the ford "By Elbereth..." that was so one of my favorite moments in the trilogy
~More of the Merry/Pippin and the orcs.
~The Aragorn/Gandalf agrument as to where to go. Added a new meaning to Gandalf "dying"
~More Ents!
~More of the Legolas/Gimli fights. It showed Gimli's dwarven pride.
Vyse
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 10:57
well im only halfway through reading FOTR so i cant make too many changes lol.
i havent even got to legolas/gimli yet but i would love more of their arguements. in TTT i loved the tossing of gimli to the bridge and him saying "promise you won't tell the elf"! ^_^
and the bath song and splashing is kinda funny.
tho in the book i despise tom bombadil! i can just imagine the irritating songs in my head lol! i just dont like characters that r too happy in anything i think lol
so cutting tom for me was a plus.
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 12:45
*gasp!!!* lol, everyone's entitled to their own opinion! though, ive always had a picture in my mind that tom looked kinda like peter jackson...lol, wierd i know. (and i always thought goldberry was the bomb!)

~Newra

ps
mdcribb, do u have the ee of fotr???
Ovëlyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 12:57
Boo for cutting Tom! *sticks her tongue out at Vyse * Hehe, just kidden! Like Newra said, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. (:

Oh yeah, *high 5's Newra* because Goldberry is definately very cool. I've always thought of PJ as being really Hobbit-ish.. to the point where I'm convinced he *is* a Hobbit (or was in a past life), lol.

Ovëlyn
CelebElin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2003 01:02
yeah booo for cuttin tom he wa agerat charater and i think he was important b/c he couldn't be effectd by the ring. i think that's y they cut him out. one of the points in the movie, i think, is that no one can resist the ring and tom kinda disproves that. oh well
i don't know about pj looking like tom but if that what u imagin. I think that pj just looks plain human. i don't know for sure how i pocture tom,kinda like a mix of races, i don't know y though. *shrug*
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email