Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
I_Luv_Frodo
Council Member
Send Message
Post Aragorn and Eowyn's Romantic Realationship
on: April 30, 2003 11:52
I wanted to know what other people thought about the Aragorn/Eowyn "thing". My English teacher was really upset by it. She said that in the books Eowyn loved Aragorn but Aragorn was always faithful to Arwen. And it's true. Do you think that the "love triangle" is good or do you think it's better in the books.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: Aragorn and Eowyn's Romantic Realationship
on: April 30, 2003 01:45
hmmm well i didnt think aragorn made any advances towards eowyn in the films... or showed any romantic interest. i thought that the film makers tried to heighten the romantic tension by making aragorn believe that arwen had gone to the grey havens....
Elbereth339
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2003 02:16
i agree w/ k, Aragorn never made any advances on Eowyn, the only thing that resembles it was when it went into slow-mo, but that was the film makers trying to highten the romantic tension, like k said
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2003 03:40
Some people see Aragorn as flirting with Eowyn in TTT, but I really don't. I think that he was just being friendly and courteous. He didn't realize she was seriously falling for him until that moment on the way to Helm's Deep when she looked at him and laughed after Gimli fell off his horse. You can actually see his face shut down as he realizes what she's feeling.

Then I think he probably has a talk with himself, something like this: "Face it, Arwen is gone. You have to move on. What's wrong with Eowyn? She's attractive, she's nobly born, and she's obviously crazy about you." But I think that's his head talking; his heart never turns away from Arwen.

That's what I see in TTT, anyway. I'll be very interested to see how they handle the scene between Aragorn and Eowyn before he leaves for the Paths of the Dead in ROTK.
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: April 30, 2003 03:58
I never thought he showed any sort of romantic interest in Eowyn. I barely think he would have ever gone to Eowyn even if Arwen were already in Valinor.

He pitied her, and knew she was suffering, but nothing much beyond that.

I remember Viggo saying something like "Aragorn realizes that there's this woman who could be more perfect for him....." However when I watched the movie I didnt' really see this. Their relationship was very one-sided and he barely paid any attention to her except in the scene with the little sword fight.

(Notice how it's ok for a man to wander off and be interested in other people, but it's not for a woman?)
sepdet
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 12:02
Cressida hit the nail on the head.

In the movie, Aragorn thinks Arwen's gone for good. He has no idea there's a triangle.

Aragorn comprehends Eowyn's situation in the movie, just as in the book, and clearly feels a great deal for her predicament. When he's riding off to fight the Wargs, he's looking back at her, remembering their last conversation where he all but promised her she'd be able to fight. And there he is, going off to fight, and she isn't.

The look in his face is "ouch".

He saw her light up like the sun when her uncle came back to himself,
and that whole journey from Edoras he's watching her wake up from a long, miserable exile within her own home. I think he understands something of her loneliness--he's been in different constraints, yet they are akin in some ways. And he understands the losses she's been through. He admires her.

The movie Aragorn is rather younger, less sure of himself, so he is in spirit much closer to Éowyn than in the books.

But the most critical thing, as I said, is that Aragorn is getting over Arwen in the movie, and as far as he knows, she is gone forever. He's lost her. He's desperately lonely. He keeps it utterly and completely bottled up. But Eowyn picks up on what's troubling him and asks him about it, in a way giving him sympathy for the heartache that's tearing him apart.

She's reaching out to him. And he has no reason, as far as he knows, not to reach out to her.

But I think Cressida's right-- he's looking to Eowyn as a kindred spirit and an extremely attractive person whom he genuinely likes, but his heart hasn't given up on Arwen.

[Edited on 5/1/03 by sepdet]
elvenwitch
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 03:53
I totally agree with Cressida. Aragorn's face just...went blank after he saw her feelings. But also it was really funny when Legolas :drool: gave Aragorn that necklace. eowyn was in the background and it looked as though she thought that Legolas was the "LADY" that had given him the pendant! Even so, her feelings for the ranger were still really apparent and I got the feeling that Aragorn was actually trying to shake her off at one point. but oh well.
Arien_Aldaríon
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 07:45
I kinda liked the whole luuuv thing
Tara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2003 04:30
I think there was definitely some sexual tension going on between the two in the movie. About Aragorn's look to Eowyn before going to fight the Wargs... It did appear to me as if he wanted to get one last look at her or something. That is how I interpreted it at first, but sepdet's explanation makes more sense to me. The look also could have been some minor foreshadowing of his "tumble off the cliff" as if to say..this is the last time I will see you...ahh but I am probably overanalyzing it now....and he does see her again.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 12:37
Well, I have a few friends (who haven't read the books) who seem to think that Aragorn is flirting with Eowyn, and I have tried to explain to them the idea of what Cressida said, but I think people are so used to seeing love triangles in movies, that people unfamiliar with the story see Eowyn and Aragorn and Arwen and think "Oooooh love triangle!" which is not the case at all.

The way I see it, Aragorn pities Eowyn. Not much more, really. There is sort of a deeper connection between the two, I think. But I don't see any romantic feelings conveyed from Aragorn to Eowyn. I have always felt that when Aragorn is speaking with Eowyn, or watching Eowyn, it is sort of a painful reminder for him that Arwen is *or so he believes* gone. Some interesting posts here!

Celebroch
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2003 07:02
I like how Faramir puts it in the book ROTK...that Eowyn looked to Aragorn as a soldier looks to his capitan...and adores his capitan. It's just that Eowyn mistook that feeling for love. And Aragorn still really loves Arwen.
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 19, 2003 07:58
Well, hard question, but, the "love triangle" in the movie, isn't...right. Éowyn loves Aragorn but Aragorn is faithful unto death to Arwen. The whole thing doesn't feels right in the movie. For those who haven't read the books first, maybe Éowyn and Aragorn seems to have a little "flirt" - and that's not the way it is. Really hope PJ isn't tryin to change anything there. LotR isn't just a love story. We want Glorfindel back.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 19, 2003 08:26
LotR isn't just a love story. We want Glorfindel back.

wow Nevthóniel, where did that one come from?

LOTR is not a love story, agreed, but there is love present in the story: the love of Gimli for Galadriel; the love of Éowyn for Aragorn and between her and Faramir and in the background the love between Aragorn and Arwen.
PJ simply took something he considered important (and interesting) and put it on the foreground.

What happens in TTT however, is not Arwen's fault, but a change in the plotline: if Aragorn hadn't returned the evenstar (if he hadn't broken up with her), there would be no flirting with Éowyn (if it's even there, cause I'm not sure it is).
However much I hate this change, it's not because PJ pushed Arwen on the foreground. I'm getting kind of tired of all this Arwen-bashing...
Eowyn18
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2003 01:05
Aragorn and Eowyn do not match.

FARAMIR AND EOWYN FOREVER!!!!!!!
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: May 20, 2003 02:32
Figwit said:
I'm getting kind of tired of all this Arwen-bashing...

I'm with you Figwit. When I saw the topic of this thread I thought to myself, what romantic relationship???

Eowyn obviously was enamored of Aragorn, but I could see no return of affection from him. He merely treated her with the respect deserved of a "daughter of Kings". He was nice, but not flirty, no way, absolutely not
Tara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2003 04:55
Hmm..me thinks the ladies protest too much....I mean I think you are all in denial.

I understand that the books portray their relationship in a very different light, but this is the movie forum and I think that in the movies there is definitely something being implied..at least.

Does anyone notice Aragorn's expression when he says.."You have some skill with a blade" There is definitely some flirting and tension between them. As to why PJ would add this aspect to their relationship..it adds more conflict and tension...and makes their interaction more interesting.

Also, if Aragorn wasn't flirting back a bit, I think it would make Eowyn appear a bit pathetic. Again..I am speaking only of the movie..in the book she doesn't appear pathetic to me at all. I think it is hard to get certain points across when when going from book to movie...especially when it comes to the characters motives.
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 12:25

I'm getting kind of tired of all this Arwen-bashing...

So am I! I'm just tired of the fact that NO ONE can seem to give poor Arwen a break! If you don't like her that's fine, but that doesn't mean you should continue to bash her over and over telling everyone loudly how much you hate her. Think about it for a second, I really doubt you hate her as much as you say you do anyway.

As to Aragorn and Eowyn, I seriously think that they were almost hinting that Aragorn might have been drawn to Eowyn, but his heart was all ready entirely given to Arwen, and no matter whether he thought she was in the havens or no, it doesn't change the fact that he's entirely in love with her. The very fact that, the moment he was alone, his thoughts were all on her again!

Then too, he almost tended to treated Eowyn like a younger sister, somewhat the way Eomer did, realizing that she deserved his respect, that she needed protection from things she didn't recognize as dangerous and that she needed understanding from someone.

In some ways they really just played up aspects of the book taking them from where they had been subtle and making them a great deal more obvious.

~*~Lady Arwen
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 02:51
Does anyone notice Aragorn's expression when he says.."You have some skill with a blade" There is definitely some flirting and tension between them.

Nope, sorry, I didn't see flirting on his part there. Surprise, courtesy, respect, an attempt to put her at her ease ... but not "Wow, you're hot."

Also, if Aragorn wasn't flirting back a bit, I think it would make Eowyn appear a bit pathetic.

What's pathetic about responding to a handsome, courteous guy with a sense of humor, even if he's not flirting with her? I don't think Eowyn is the type who believes that it's only acceptable to fall for a guy who is interested in her first. She gives her heart based on the merits she sees.

[Edited on 21/5/2003 by Cressida]
Tara
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2003 05:10
Good points Cressida...You changed my mind about Eowyn appearing pathetic if Aragorn wasn't flirting back.

I don't think his expression, tone of voice, posture or words hint at all to him trying to put her at ease...not right away at least...maybe as their conversation progresses. This is just my interpretation of a small, rather insignificant nuance and I'm willing to concede.
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2003 12:00
OK, Tara, I guess we can agree to disagree about the "skill with a blade" line! I promise I'll look at it again when I get the DVD and see if it changes my mind.

I'm glad you agree about Eowyn not being pathetic at least!
_Tinuviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2003 04:43
I personally think that Aragorn remained faithful to Arwen also. He simply pitied her and wanted to be her friend, but that was all. When the scene with the sword appeared he seemed to feel sorry for her and encourage her, but that was all. Also when he saw her standing in the sunlight he did not compliment her or anything like that and he never took off the evenstar or stopped thinking about Arwen through the film.
I_Luv_Frodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 08:01
I agree that there wasn't really a "love triangle" in the movie. Aragorn pitied Eowyn and loved Arwen.
Ember_Stryder
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 08:32
IWell,we all know any relationship between Eowyn and Aragorn would be doomed,because he needs to be true to Arwen and she's gonna end up with Faramir!
Argonath
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2003 10:56
I don't think you can necessarily read into the movie that Aragorn falls in love or develop romantic feelings towards Eowyn. Of course, its open to personal interpretation but I don't think PJ can be blamed for forcing that interpretation upon us. On the contrary, he may be a bit too obvious about the Aragorn/Arwen love affair at times. Though I like it. I enjoy the extended role Arwen plays in the movies. Mostly thanks to Liv Tyler, she lights up the screen every time.

Mostly I think the confusion is mainly due to the change in story-telling channels; adapting the books to movie format. In movies you don't have the same ability to convey inner and subtle meanings. So you have to polarize and enhance the different emotional states. This sometimes leads to over-clarifying perhaps resulting in the perception based on the movie that Aragorn responds romantically to Eowyn.

I think the discussion highlights that we just define "flirting" as different things and respond to different cues. I guess that's why relationships are hard in real life as well...
lessien_ciryatan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 06:32
I think you're right. It's better in the book (but aren't books always better? lol) But I can understand why they did it that way for the movie. Girls like romance and they wanted to attract the girl crowd, too, so they added romance here and there. Not that I like it like that way, but hey, Jackson couldn't please everyone, and I have friends who want even more romance!
Tricksy-hobbitses
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 07:08
Aragorn in love with Eowyn? No way. No how. Aragorn was head over heels, over the moon in love with Arwen. Even if he thought she was in the Gray Havens, I find it extremely unlikely that he would fall in love with another woman, even someone as cool as Eowyn. There was a bit of a spark between the two in the movie, but as soon Eowyn asks him who gave him Evenstar, his thoughts turn to Arwen. When he's badly injured after falling off the cliff, who did he see in his thoughts? Arwen. Who does he love? Arwen. Aragorn+Arwen forever!
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 08:08
I think Eowyn and Aragorn have a very deep, genuine respect for each other. They are very much alike, and she looks up to him as he very much admires her. Its just the fact that that maybe she interprets his feelings for her as more than what they actually are, though he no doubt cares very much for her. When she finally realizes that, she slips back into this almost depressive state, much like she was when Theoden wasn't quite himself.
broadsword_chick
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2003 01:37
The whole Aragorn/Arwyn/Eowyn thing is not a love triangle.

For the past couple of years, I have had this really good guy friend, but we're only friends. We hang at school and have been in swordfighting and drama together and are pretty close, but I don't:love: him and he doesn't:love:me. He does have a really, really sweet awesome grlfriend who he is totally in :love: with, and she and I get along fine. To me, this is what the Aragorn/Arwyn/Eowyn thing looked like in TTT, except for maybe Eowyn had a little thing for Aragorn that I don't think he had for her.
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 07:43
I hope this isn't considered bad taste (admins, feel free to delete my post if it is), but I just wrote a fanfic about how Aragorn might feel toward Arwen and Éowyn in the movie:

Under a Starless Sky

The story is rated PG-13.
elven_angel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 08:15
I don't think there is a love triangle at all. I think Eowyn's crush on Aragorn was sort of like a fangirl's crush on an actor, it wasn't true love. Aragorn even said "in me she loves only a shadow and a thought: a hope of glory
and great deeds, and lands far from the fields of Rohan."(he says something like that in the movies too, I think.) When she meets Faramir she falls in love and as I'm sure all of you know they live happily ever after.

"Who then should govern Gondor and those who look to this City as their queen, if my desire is not granted?"
-Aragorn 'The Steward and the King'

The book Aragorn was completely devoted to Arwen, and even if Arwen had gone to Valinor, I don't think he would have ever married. The movie Aragorn was slightly different. I think he was just as devoted to Arwen, but thought that she was leaving Middle Earth and so he was trying to decide if he could ever love Eowyn during TTT.

Eowyn+Faramir forever!!!
Arwen+Aragorn forever!!!:heart:
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 02:12

The book Aragorn was completely devoted to Arwen, and even if Arwen had gone to Valinor, I don't think he would have ever married. The movie Aragorn was slightly different. I think he was just as devoted to Arwen, but thought that she was leaving Middle Earth and so he was trying to decide if he could ever love Eowyn during TTT.
Even in the movie, Aragorn was totaly devoted to Arwen. Although he had to get used to the idea she was leaving to Valinor. I could not see that he was 'making up his mind' or 'decide that he could love Éowyn'. In the EE, he even gets a little bit tired of her (during the march to Helm's Deep), for he never gets any rest. Or so it seems to me. Admiration and respect should not be confused with romance (for I am a girl and I very much do not like romantic stuff in movies in general, except in this movie).

I do not think that a long and deep love like Arwen's/Aragorn's can be thrown away thát easily. I thought, they were in love or loving each other for about 60 years or so.
diendrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 08:08
I didn't see a love triangle at all. Eowyn was in love with the idea of being in love. She had been lonely, her brother was gone, finally her predator, Grima, was gone...and she was alone in a castle with no one her equal to marry. How perfect that this handsome stranger come to the Kings home and be available! Who else would Eowyn fall for? It must have been predestined which is why Thoedin is silently encouraging their relationship. But Aragorn never commits himself to any feelings for her. He stays faithful to Arwen. I see very much in this movie his will to live alone as a ranger, or king if needs be, if he cannot have the one woman who sacrificed her life for him. He confronts Eowyn in the " blade scene" more as an older brother..trying to help her to see her place as a princess more than as a warrior. He cares for her as a brother, not a lover. I don't think there is any question of this. Where does Aragorn return her feelings? What lines? He doesn't even like her cooking...but he's polite and doesn't deny his own character...that is why he acts with honor towards her. When they are walking from Edoras and she is asking about Arwen, I think what he portrays there is a little embarrassment of her inquiries. She is actually very forward towards him and he's not sure how to handle it even tho he knows he doesn't want a relationship. I think he shut her down quite politely when he spoke of Arwen. The look when they are headed to the battle with the wargsriders...I don't know. He has affection for her but it wasn't a romantic affection. Eomer also loved his sister and defended her. Aragorn was a very affectionate person towards everyone. His compassoin toward Frodo when he thought he was hurt...towards Gandalf as he watched him fall...towards Legolas when the elf came to apologize, towards everyone...I don't think his compassion towards Eowyn in the face of danger was anything more, or less.
JMHO
diendrial
ForgottenTears
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 07:30
Eowyn loves Aragorn or at least she thinks she loves him, she just hasnt had anyone treat her like that, plus she's 22. Aragorn loves Arwen no one else. He would not have got married if she left.
He is not flirting with Eowyn. Its just he does not want to be mean to her. Come on Its not like he's gonna blatantly say "I dont like you Eowyn, I have a Fiance, so get over it, and leave me alone."

Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame fora Man's heart than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave that cannot be returned.

ladyelessarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 12:02
I think that PJ maintained the integrity of Aragorn's and Arwen's love in the films. While the films not the books presented a tension in Arwen's seeming parting from Middle Earth, Arwen and Aragorn remained faithful to each other in spirit until their eventual reunion.
Gwathhenator
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 12:45
As far as flirting goes with Aragorn, I don't think he did any, but what I was mad about was Eowyn flirting with him. The scriptwriters just threw her at him pretty much. In the book they share about two scenes.
a) She hands him the parting cup etc.
b) Night camp at Dunharrow, the closest to flirting
It's really ruins Eowyn's character to do so much flirting and when she gets to Faramir in the EE (I'm still stewing about it not being in the theatrical version, that and everything els pretty much) it'll just make her look like a flake or something.

But also it was really funny when Legolas :drool: gave Aragorn that necklace. eowyn was in the background and it looked as though she thought that Legolas was the "LADY" that had given him the pendant!

Okay, that comment threw me. Where'd you get that I idea???
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email