Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Movie of Silmarillion?
on: May 11, 2003 07:42
Is it possible to make a movie of Silmarillion? Maybe it will be kind of...strange, you know, there's so many people in the book, and...to make a whole movie of it. Maybe it could be some short movies?
Well, Peter Jackson is the one to do it, at least that's my thoughts. After RotK there's nothing left, and to look forward to Silmarillion - perfect! But I don't think Silmarillion gonna be a movie.:cry:
What do you think?
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Movie of Silmarillion?
on: May 11, 2003 08:02
Unfortunately, I doubt it will

I'd really like to see it as a movie as well, for parts such as Beren and Tinuviel and Finrod and Barahir and all the Silmaril stuff, but I sort of doubt they could do it.

The problem is that it's more like so many stories put together and not so much one continuous plot line.

Someone was thinking about doing a ballet renindition, but that got discarded somewhere along the line.

Actually I heard in one interview with PJ that he and Philippa Boyens had made up their minds that if Fran Walsh couldn't manage the Nazgul scream they would tell her that they had decided to do the Silmarilion as a movie So mean!

It would be really neat if they could just do some of the best parts at least though.

~*~Lady Arwen
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 04:21
I think The Hobbit has a better shot at becoming a movie than the Silmarillion - the scope of that is just much too large. Maybe if they decided to make just, say, the Story of Beren and Luthien, it would be doable, but I still don't think it will happen.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 11, 2003 08:02
well, I have been thinking about it, and I think if they made a series (like Ian McKellen had suggested to do with the Hobbit) for television, it could work - but they'd still have to cut a lot out... the entire beginning just wouldn't work on the screen I fear
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2003 05:31
That would be an accomplishment wouldn't it?

I think that the Simarillion is just too complex and mystical. It would end up being almost a documentary. The main characters would constantly be changing. It would not be interesting to anyone, except maybe us Tolkien fanatics.

Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 12, 2003 07:36
I agree with Figwit. I think a series would be a much more sensible format for the Sil, because it does cover so much. Hey, maybe we should make it! Seriously though, I have a baseless suspicion that the Sil will turn up in an animated form first, same as LOTR. Maybe someone will decide it'll appeal to kids and do a tame magic-wands-and-pixies version of it. Hope not! I really want to see Maedhros, don't know why...
Kiss
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 12, 2003 09:17
Maybe someone will decide it'll appeal to kids and do a tame magic-wands-and-pixies version of it.

ooooh Faramirs First Kiss! *Figwit chokes on her drink*
smeagol_the_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 01:09
I have to agree with Ringhilwen, the Hobbit does have a better shot at becoming a movie than the Silmarillion. Plus, not everyone has read the Silmarillion and would not understand the movie. Than again not everyone has read the entire book series of the lord of the rings.

----------------------------------------------------
"Wraiths, wraiths on Wings."

Erunáme_Undómiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 07:25
Never going to happen. Most of the Silmarillion is narration which means very little dialogue which is crucial to a movie. The only way possible to convey the stories would be to have actors doing the actions and a narrator telling what's going on. That would be extremely boring.

Beren and Luthien's or Turin's story are about the only ones that would have a chance on screen. The only problem is they aren't that long. I don't think an entire movie could be made out of 37 pages or so.

It's a shame that the Silmarillion can't be made into a movie. I would love to be able to see all the places just as we've gotten to see Middle Earth through the LOTR movies. It would also be wonderful to see more of the lives of the Elves. The best would be getting to see Valinor and the Ainur. But it seems I'll just have to rely on my imagination and the artwork of John Howe, Alan Lee, and Ted Nasmith.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 13, 2003 09:13
Unfortunately I don't think it has any hope of becoming a movie..As Figwit says, it would be more sensible to do it as a series..But even then it would most likely not work. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the Hobbit though; would love to see the Battle of Five Armies on the big screen!
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 06:15
Yep, pinning my hopes on the Hobbit. They are toying with the idea of making it into a series, but it's already several stage plays. I saw one in Feb and it translates very well to drama. The main problem would be that they'd have to make Ian Holm look like he did in the prologue, which they did by taping his skin tight under his wig! That's a lot to put a guy through if you're filming a feature length film.
Kiss
EvenstarFairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2003 06:34
i wish they had a movie for the hobbit or the simarillion!
if anything, the hobbit could be a movie... but i think the silmarillion would probably b a tv mini-series.
Annúnagar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 08:00
Hi folks!
Did you hear about this?: www.ancanar.com
It will be a movie supposedly inspired by the Tolkien work, not specially by The Silmarillion but sounds interesting...
BoromirsBabe
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2003 11:50
Hmm...the Sil just wouldn't work as a movie, even if one of the stories was done(like Beren and Luthien), because it really wouldn't make sense if one wasn't familiar with the whole book...it's just to complicated and comlex.
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 05:05
well, I have been thinking about it, and I think if they made a series (like Ian McKellen had suggested to do with the Hobbit) for television, it could work - but they'd still have to cut a lot out... the entire beginning just wouldn't work on the screen I fear

Well, that's a quite good idea. I still think that it would be great to see it on the cinema. So maybe, a movie, but with short stories? I agree with BoromirsBabe, it's really hard to understand anything if you haven't read the book.
But if they choose to do a TV-serie probably it will come out in US first. And we Europeans will have to wait. It's always like that.
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2003 09:01
yes, I also think that Silwould make a better tv series than a movie. It just makes more sense since each chpater is pretty much a different story. I would just hope that a person who really knows the stories would be chosen as director
Incedofilius
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 09:27
Imagine the size of the cast! If it can be done then I'm sure PJ would do it. After Tolkien made it clear that the Silmarilion needed to be published as a pretext to LotR, don't you think he would wish the same for the movies?
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 08:42
The cast as Incedofilius said, would be huge!

But still, think of it. While it would be wonderful for us Tolkien Fanatics, how many more people would go and see it? It wouldn't create the money needed to bring any profit, for the budget would have to be HUGE. Then you run into the fact that most of the scenes are unfilmable. It is just too big of a project.

Though we can dream...
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 02:31
I agree, it is a wonderful idea, but it can't really happen in real life. It would be like trying to make a movie of the entire Old Testament, or the history of the Earth. A TV series would be good, if they were able to put enough money into it to do it right.
theniece
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 03:59
Mmmmmmm?? A movie. Well, frankly I havent had the time yet to read the book, but from what I've heard from my friends, it's a sort of history book with many story lines in it. I think it would definitely be hard if not impossible to make a movie out of it. Or, Peter Jackson could come up with a single story line and throw in all the characters into it. Wouldn't that be cool?
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 08:51
I really don't think it is possible to make a Silmarillion movie. There are to many stories and way to many characters. For people who haven't read the silmarillion, it would just be so comfusing. Too bad:cry:
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 06:35
I would LOVE a movie of the Silmarillion but it would never happen. A shame, as I would love to see a young Galadriel and the character of Feanor.
But it would be much too long. The Tale of Beren and Luthien would make a whole film in itself...now THERE is an idea. Wouldn't it be great? It would be such a great mixture of adventure, beauty, evil, love and sacrifice. It would blow the Box Office away! Now how do I contact Peter Jackson...?
Elven_Smith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2003 07:24
I think a Silmarillion TV series is a possibility, although probably not with PJ. I don't see interest in the Sil. reaching critical mass anytime soon, and besides, PJ has already had enough say in Middle-earth. Give me a chance.

The Sil. would require very creative scripting-- the writers would basically have to rewrite the entire thing, the same stories but from different points of view so they wouldn't be so heavy on narration. As someone pointed out earlier, narration would kill it. I think each episode should be told from the point of view of one character, who could be developed more fully than he or she is in the books. Also, I think it should begin from the point of view of the Sindar in Beleriand, rather than the Noldor. Less back-and-forth that way. It would also allow Feanor's antics in Valinor to be summarized in a flash-back, which would be rather ackward to depict directly.

The series wouldn't have nearly as big a budget as the movies, so everything would have to be scaled down-- battlescenes, sets and locations, big name actors... but it could happen in a decade or two.
Allbrex
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2003 10:18
Actually many of you will be happy to learn that they are making a Silmarillion movie. Well, at least a chapter of it. A man in search of the Hidden City of the Elves. I can't remember the city's name but it will include the battle of Glorfindel vs the Balrog. I believe Morgoth will make his appearance in this movie as well. I'll try to find more info for you all

-Too bad PJ isn't making it :/

[Edited on 30/10/2003 by Allbrex]
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 12:02
Do you have a link to where it says something about that?
Allbrex
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 03:19
Here you go my fellow Elven fans
http://www.ancanar.com/
Allbrex
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 03:29
Well it "says" its not based off of Tolkiens works. But the story line is so similar to a chapter of the Silmarillion, it might as well be. Too bad they didn't go through a major studio to produce the film, but I'm sure it'll be worth a watch for most ringers.
Elven_Smith
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 06:30
I'm not sure Ancanar is a Tolkien-based film. Where on the site does it say that a Balrog or fire demon will be included?
From what I've read, it's more like this: Ancanar's father is dying, and Ancanar, frustrated by human mortality, tries to steal eternal life from the elves. Rather like the Downfall of Numenor, just no island and a happy ending. Plus, the movie seems to be set in the Fourth Age.
But I'd be very happy if it turned out to be 'Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin' in disguise.

Allbrex
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 07:51
That's exactly what it sounds like to me Elven Smith. Just a replica of the Tuor and Gondolin (cough hidden Elven city cough) story. We'll have to wait and see.
LuthienofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2003 01:04
it was already soo hard maing a movie out of LOTR so i dont think that Peter Jackson will succeed in making a movie out of the Sillmarillion
obsessed_with_lotr
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2003 11:15
The Silmarillion explains all the other books, that's its 'main identity' to me, kind of. Its mainly exposition (explaining), it has no plot at all, and that's not really a movie most people would see, in my opinion.
arb
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2003 09:42
It might work fine as a long mini series but as a movie, I agree that there is too much going on to make it a good movie.

Out of boredom, I tried to come up with my own script with the story being told mainly from Galadriel's and Finrod's points of view. I got about as far as Eol's encounter with the sons of Feanor and then abandoned the script. The opening scene of the pilot would be Finrod telling a child Galadriel the story of the awakening of the elves and establish Galadriel's eagerness to travel to Middle Earth and then cutting immediately to Araman with the host of the Noldor briefly camped trying to decide how to get to Middle Earth. The darkening of Valinior and the oath and Kinslaying would not be explained until a few episodes into the series when Angrod reveals to Thingol everything that had transpired. Then the whole scene involving that would be shown in flashback.

I had one episode thought out where Melian encounters Galadriel looking at her tapestries in Doriath and then, in flashback again, explains the whole war with Morgoth. In the end, I realized that having it in Galadriel's and Finrod's points of view would be too complicated. Because 1)Finrod dies before some important events occur 2) Galadriel spends most of the Silmarillion tucked away in Doriath and thus would be ineffective with stories dealing with some important events, namely the battle of unnumbered tears and the fall of Gondolin. I tried to solve the second problem by her and/or Celeborn and Finrod having some premonitions. In one episode I tried to think up, involving Aredhel and Maeglin, I had Galadriel, Celeborn, and Finrod riding around when they notice Aredhel in the borders of the dark forest. Then Celeborn explains to them the story of Eol and then ends it saying that it is too late to save their cousin and that he fears that great evil will come of this deed.

Eventually though, everything just seemed too complicated and convuluted. too many characters. Too many plotlines. Plus, alot was starting to look too fanficy.

Now if a treatment were to be done, here would be some suggestions for actors.

Stuart Townsend as Caranthir(well I can picture him in the confrontation with Angrod).

Josh Harnett as Maeglin(I cannot stand Josh Hartnett but I can see it working).

After seeing Mayor of Casterbridge, I thought James Purefoy(who played Farfae) would be a good Finrod but he's a little old. I unfortunately can't see anyone pulling his character off.
Arwen_Evenstar_2003
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 03:58
It would have ben a super movie but I don't think anyone will film it...
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 06:31
Yeah, i agree. Also, it doesn't have a plot really as much as it explains a lot of things from LotR. I'm sure all us fans would see it if someone did it, but I don't think it would be too interesting. I doubt anyone will want to do it
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 01:01
Okay, everybody get ready...here come Newra with a crazy opinion....*drumroll*

I think there is actually a very small chance that PJ will be able to make the Hobbit, unless he starts it very quickly. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for him to make it, but think of the realities. Ian Holm is obviously out of the picture. I know, it's awful, but he IS too old. He couldn't be Bilbo.

Also, Ian McKellen is getting up there in his years...

Plus, PJ is already working on King Kong, which is going to take a while, most likely.

And they have to get the rights to make the Hobbit.

I think he could and should do the Silmarillion, but just the story of Beren and Lúthien. Trying to do the whole thing in a movie would be impossible. They could incorporate a lot of the Sil into just that story, though, like the Silmarils and the creation of Middle-earth. Plus, an entirely new cast of actors to fall in love with!!

Anyway, just my thoughts.

~Newra
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email