Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post Ecards - News and Info
on: May 28, 2003 06:26
For me to post news and info about Ecards on CoE, and for anyone to make suggestions or ask questions.

This thread used to be "Concerning Ecards."

[Edited on 28/5/2003 by Ringhilwen]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
Post RE: Ecards - News and Info
on: May 28, 2003 06:27
You cannot upload an ecard that has been taken from another website. All of the ecards in our data base have been made by our members, using pictures, phrases, quotes, and other things that they find. You can use any pictures of the characters, etc, to make your ecards, as long as there are no ads for other sites on them. All ecards that you upload must have the CoE Website on them (see any current card for how this is done). The guidlines for ecards can be found on the Ecard submission page.
rioka
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:27
I noticed there wasn't any so I was wondering...
Do you accept original drawings for eCards as well?
I have in mind to send some in...
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:28
We'd love to have ecards with your original art, as long as they look good, as Rivka said.

Another thing about Ecards...if you use LOTR art from any source, it would be great if you could start adding a line beneath the "Middle Earth Greetings..." part, that says "Image by _________"

Another staff member recently brought this fact to my knowledge, and even though it's HIGHLY unlikely we'll get in trouble, it's nice to cover our bases.:blush:
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:28
Ok, this thread is now going to contain any ecard news I have, or for you to post questions about ecards that you come up with. Also, suggestions are more than welcome! :heart:

On suggestion from Lady-Arwen, I have added two Holiday Categories, one for Mother's day and one for Father's Day. Also, a new section has been added for "Just A Note - Support" cards, as I received several submissions for that category.

REMINDER: Every Ecard that you submit must have the small tagline "Middle Earth Greetings by www.councilofelrond.com" or "Middle Earth Greetings brought to you by www.councilofelrond.com." This does not have to be large text, and you can see any ecard in the gallery currently for reference on how this is done.

Thanks!
:heart:Ringhilwen
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:29
Added a new e-card category...Just a Note - Thinking of You....I thought that it was slightly different from both "Hello" and "Support" cards. I also removed some obsolete categories, which had no cards in them. If anyone *really* has a problem with me removing the "United Nations Day' category, please let me know.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:30
Oh oh oh oh....I have another HUGE point!

I've gotten a lot of ecard submissions lately, and it's VERY clear that people have not been reading the instructions, or are not clear on them, so I'm going to reiterate some of the most IMPORTANT points here...

~ All Ecards MUST MUST have a line that says "Middle Earth Greetings by www.councilofelrond.com" or "Middle Earth Greetings www.councilofelrond.com". This is an absolute necessity, and cards will not be approved by me unless they have this line, even if they are perfect! This doesn't have to be huge, and can go at the very bottom or along the side. See the ecard gallery for examples!

~ If you submit an Ecard with LOTR art on it, please include a small line saying "Art by __________"

~ Please do not just take plain images from the gallery and submit them to me as ecards. Number one, they don't have the tag line, and number 2, they are boring. Cards are usually personalized for the category in some way. Again, see Ecard Gallery for details.

~ Quality of the images you use does matter, so try to use high quality pictures/art, that aren't pixelated or blurry. Additionally, make sure that the text you add does not distort the picture.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:30
Alright, new Ecard stuff...

- Added a category (thanks to Elruwen for the suggestion) for all Pagan Holidays.

- I've seen a large jump in interest for making ecards, and because of this, i've become just a little stricter in the things i look for. I've become a lot more picky about the quality of the images, so from now on, any cards that are blurry, have distorted text, or are overly pixellated, probably won't be accepted. In order to keep the point values for ecards at 2 points (which is a lot for just making cards), I have to accept high quality ones. So, please keep that in mind when submitting cards to me for review.

Thanks
:heart:Ringhilwen
Chrissy_Lee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:31
I sent some in...and I was wondering..will I get notified if you put them in the gallery? :dizzy:
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:32
I don't notify you personally over PM if they are added to the gallery. I only contact you if there is a problem with your submission. You can either periodically check the gallery for your card, or check in My Account > User Points. If you have received ecard points from me, the card is in the gallery. Chrissy, I know two of yours are in the gallery, and you already got the points for them.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:32
Hey all - it seems like things with the ecard submissions are a little messed up since the server move. If you have submitted ANY ecards since then, I have not received them. If you can though, please hold off on submitting cards for a bit, until we can see what's wrong with the folder. Thanks!
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:33
I just submitted a card for the section "Real Life Party" and got this:

Warning: getimagesize: Unable to open '/home/council/www/modules/Cards/images/bilbopartycardfinished.gif' for reading. in /home/council/modules/Cards/upload2.php on line 116

Is this the server or was something wrong with my card? It was only 28kb, the dimensions were 320w x 135h.

Sorry, I didn't read this thread until I got this problem, so if the problem isn't fixed yet, sorry. :blush:
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 28, 2003 06:33
Hey all - it seems like things with the ecard submissions are a little messed up since the server move. If you have submitted ANY ecards since then, I have not received them. If you can though, please hold off on submitting cards for a bit, until we can see what's wrong with the folder. Thanks!

Like I said earlier, the cards are still a bit messed up. Give us a little longer to fix it, and then you should be able to upload cards just fine. It is a server change-over problem, nothing wrong with the card.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: June 09, 2003 05:50
Alright - looks like we're good to submit ecards again, as it seems to be working fine. However, if you have a card to submit that is a GIF file, rather than a JPEG file, hold off on submitting that until the thumbnail creating program is fixed to handle GIF's. Thanks, and I look forward to seeing everyone's cards!
Chrissy_Lee
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2003 02:54
Thanx! i sent some in, lol! So glad they're back up now!
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: September 08, 2003 08:34
Alright guys - I get soooooo many card submissions that lack the "Middle-earth Greetings from www.councilofelrond.com" (or a close variation). Just so you know, this line is REQUIRED. Simply putting the CoE link on the card is not enough, and if the line isn't on your card, I won't consider validating it. You'll be asked to fix it.

Also, Ecards are one of the best ways to get points, and because they're worth so much (2 pts is a lot for just a card), I'm pretty picky about the quality of them. I'm currently in the process of making a "Guide to Creating Ecards" which should give you all good tips and things you should and shouldn't do while making ecards. Hopefully it'll explain things a little better. But, really don't be offended if your card isn't immediately accepted without some work needing to be done. I'm not mean, really! Heck, some of my cards were rejected by M back in tha day!
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 10:44
just a quick question. are you allowed to take pics from this site and use them for ecards you make?? it seems like the answer would be yes, but i want to make sure...

~Newra
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 09:34
Ahhh! You better be able to, thats what I've done for all of mine! I should think so, otherwise I've broken quite a few rules.
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 02:20
Yes you can. If you couldn't then Ringhilwen would not accept them.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: October 31, 2003 06:55
Because I forgot to post it in this thread, the submissions page for eCards has been changed slightly. It now lists the updated submission guidelines, including requiring a small piece of text saying "Image by ______" if you're using artwork. Additionally, it reiterates the fact that EVERY CARD must have the "Middle-earth greetings by www.councilofelrond.com" line on it somewhere. Over half the cards I receive do not, and it's an automatic reason for me not to accept the card. You can make a slight variation to this line (for realms for example), but you cannot just write www.councilofelrond.com on the card. I won't accept it.

Also, about making eCards: There's also a link on the submission page to a small guide/tutorial that I created. It gives basic tips and info about making cards, such as text techniques, image quality, and extra features. Please check it out if you have questions about why your eCards aren't being accepted.
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: November 05, 2003 09:14
Click on eCards on the left hand main menu. At the very bottom of that page (the page with all the categories), there's a link to the form where you can submit cards.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 08:59
Then you cannot send them an ecard.
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 09:23
atalante, can I send Ecards after creating them...or is that not allowed?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 09:56
You can still send ecards after you create them! Lol, when I create ecards it's usually because there's a certain type I want to send to someone but CoE doesn't have it yet. At least I'm pretty sure you can.. *looks worried*
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 10:12

[Edited on 7/11/2003 by monasua]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: November 06, 2003 12:40
This thread used to be called "Concerning eCards", which is mentioned in the very first post in this thread. Besides, we only need ONE thread for discussing ecard submissions and problems, so please don't dig up or start another one.
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 10:51
I submitted an Ecard today, has it been accepted?
OlorinTheWhite
Wandering Istari
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 12:04
The admins try to review submissions as often and as quickly as they can, but there are no guarantees. If you're patient, you'll probably be able to find out yourself if your submission has been accepted. Give it a week or two, and check back with the ecards section and your points.
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2003 02:49
I think sending Ecards is fun
Eslyssa
COE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 12:00
This may be totally impractical, but it just occurred to me. Is there any way to have a method of sending E-Cards or the equivalent over PM?
monasua
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2003 07:15
Can messages be included in Ecards?
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2004 08:34
How do you write something on any image that you upload? Liike, we are supposed to write "Middle-Earth greetings from www.councilofelrond.com" but how do we write that over the picture? Also, are you supposed to save the image into a word document or something? Thank you
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 07:30
How do you write something on any image that you upload? Liike, we are supposed to write "Middle-Earth greetings from www.councilofelrond.com" but how do we write that over the picture? Also, are you supposed to save the image into a word document or something? Thank you

Most people, to make ecards, use image/graphics programs in order to create their cards, since they generate the best quality. There *are* ways to add text without image programs, but it's usually difficult and the images end up being poor-quality.
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 12:46
hmm....i just uploaded an e-card and got the message

"Warning: getimagesize(): Read error! in /home/councilo/public_html/modules/Cards/upload2.php on line 58

Warning: getimagesize(): Read error! in /home/councilo/public_html/modules/Cards/upload2.php on line 117"

on top of the page. what does it mean? do i have to try again or is there a problem with the size? sizes are 226w and 350h
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 01:45
Was it a .jpg or a .gif?
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email