Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Are you a bookie?
on: August 09, 2003 11:40
It has come to my attention (doesn't that sound awesome?) that a lot of people in the moviesforum debate next to one another. Some people will try to discuss something in depth (and posts these long boring posts to clarify points that were challanged by people trying to clarify there points...) and then some people will just post: Legolas is awesome; or Everyone should have a Sam.

I got this feeling that a lot of people here either haven't read the books or don't care much for them. Hey, that's okay, but I'm just curious - so do me a favour, answer the poll truthfully and if you care to elaborate on what you chose and why, please do!

[Note: I know we had a topic like this, but I couldn't find it when I looked, so I decided to create a knew one.]
I read the books before I saw the movie
61% (9)
I read the books after I saw the movie, and I prefer the books
30% (4)
I read the books after I saw the movie, and I prefer the movie
6% (9)
I never read the books
2% (3)
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
Post RE: Are you a bookie?
on: August 10, 2003 12:12
I read the books after the movie came out. But I prefer the books. There's only so much you can discuss about the movie before you go on to mistakes and how hot Legolas is. (I'm sure Figwit will disagree with that.)

But the book is endless, people have been reading it for decades and are discovering new things, new topics open for debate are not centered around just three movies.

IMO to understand the whole thing the only way to go about it is reading the book. Without that LOTR is just another entertaining movie.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 02:55
I read the books about two years beofre the films came out, when I was too young to understand them properly. I also tried to read the sil- big mistake, I didn't get past the first page.
When I heard the films were coming out I went back and reread the books, this time understanding it a lot better and managed to read the sil, unfinished tales and the histories of ME. When I saw the films I loved them too (and couldn't help noticing a certain elf too)
So I read the books before seeing the films but didn't understand them until later.
Moogan1689
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 06:19
when i first saw the movie, i have to admit i had no idea what was going on. then i borrowed my mom's bf's bbc LotR on cd and i got into it. I then started to go to the movie and understand what was happening. then i started reading the books and i absolutely loved the books. there's so many things that are different with the books than the movie. but i love both!:heart:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 06:57
well i have to admit to only reading the books cus i thought i would get the movie more - kind of... i always intended to read the books, much like i inteded to read shakespere and dickens and other classics. and i even started the hobbit on the way to america when i was 19.. but didnt like it.

so i put it off... always another stephen king to read you know and then i heard the film was coming out and thought it looked good and that was my catalyst for reading the books. (goodness me i think only a scientist could manage to fit the word catalyst into a discussion about reading )

now i adore the books, and the film. but mostly the books- they are great to read and i cant believe i waited this long!

Elven_Redwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 01:38
Same here Eloise! I tried to read LOTR when I was younger and got stuck in the war chapters. I started to read them again when the movies came out, and have now read them four times. I like both the books and the movies; they compliment each other well!
Rider_of_the_Riddermark
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 02:36
I saw the movie and then read the books. I knew about the books way before I saw the movie but had never read the books. I knew, after I saw the movie (even if they had totally screwed the story up) that I wanted to read the books, so I did! I much rather prefer to read a book than watch a movie. I'm a book junkie and not afraid to say it!
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 04:37
i had first seen the movie and decided to read the books which i loved a lot better and now I read the books a lot and annoy my friends by pointing out every single little thing they changed in the movies and how it was an essential part of the story. Of course, I still like the movies, but i think the books are waaaay better
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 04:37
i had first seen the movie and decided to read the books which i loved a lot better and now I read the books a lot and annoy my friends by pointing out every single little thing they changed in the movies and how it was an essential part of the story. Of course, I still like the movies, but i think the books are waaaay better
truegirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 05:37
I read the LOTR triology and the Silmarillion over 15 yrs ago and fell in love with Middle-Earth and the history of the Elves. Although I've enjoyed the movies, I far prefer the books. Still, it's nice to see the stories played out on the big screen even if they've been a bit, er, altered.
Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 02:39
Non-bookie over here!

Yes, I am a non-bookie...or pretty close to it. I first bought the LotR seven years ago. I ead the hobbit, but I didn't like it. When I reread it again...I much preferred it.

I moved on to FotR, I don't remember how far I got. I didn't like the writing style, I kind of read on and off to the end. I did the same with TTT, I didn't retain any of the information. I got no where wih RotK.

I've read the Appendices a few times through...for some reaon I can't get enough of them. It makes no sense, I know.

When the movie came out, I silently boycotted it. Then one night in November it was premiering on cable, I couldn't find the remote so I was like, "Eh, I'll wach it." Well, I absolutely loved the film! *Yay!* I got the EE for Christmas.

I tried to read the books again, but I had too many other things going on at the time. So here I am.

But darn it, I'm proud to be a non-bookie. (This post made no sense, o well )

Diva
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 03:16
I read the books for the first time a few years before the movies came out, but at that time it kinda ended on that. I read them, I liked them, and left them. I did not get *that* much into LotR back then, perhaps because I was too young or perhaps because back then I was interested in different things. I have always been a bookie, but like k said - there had always been others books to read So I read it once and kinda did not think about them much.

Then I got into RPG and found myself going back to some certain parts of LotR as I liked to sneak into the story with some ideas from the books. I found it much interesting to kind of connect the worlds in which me and my team were playing and the elements of Tolkien's universe. I found it a way to enrich the story pretty much, and so I was slowly getting into the books again. I also attempted to read the Sil at that time.

But because I am quite obsessed and had once made a decision that I would read Tokien's works only in english [I am not a native speaker of english, though], the Silmarillion was a bit too hard a piece of writing for me to read, so I left it. I was tempted to read a translation, but I had seen it once in a bookstore and decided that, after all, I would wait until I can understand the original.

Then the first movie was released, which was a few years after I actually read LotR and I did not remember much. A couple of my friends kept on discussing the differences between the books and the movie, so I decided to re-read them again and check for myself [as I did not completely trust my memory ] This time, it got me hooked. I went back to the Sil and this time managed to read the whole piece, much to my own surprise I liked it a lot more than LotR [which I also loved!]

So now, I read LotR about once a year, but since the first reading I have read the Silmarillion 4 or 5 times, and am currently somewhere in the middle of it again, and am still deeply in love with it.
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 11:48
i watched the movie w/ my family on christmas day 2001 and was still a hp fan but after a while, when i watched it a second time, thats when i really got hooked on it and then i read the books but i really prefer the movies.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 12:22
I read the books when i much younger(not saying "how young" ) after much urging from my Mom, who's a total Tolkien bookie and I enjoyed them but I was more into mysteries/dectective genre...anyway, fast forward to the 2nd movie ( I never saw the first, till i got the DVD) - I went and was totally sucked right back in! I was also naturally confused - Faramir a baddie? Elves at Helm's Deep? so i had to dive back in and give myself a memory check and realized what i had missed by giving the books just a quick read...needless to say, i'm hooked and enjoy them more after my 3rd time than the first.

Just a quick question, when you read the books for the very first time - what impression did you take away? For me Tolkien's descriptions of the lands of ME stuck with me more than the people.

The movies are wonderful but I prefer the books!
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 04:33
I only saw FOTR because we went on a field trip with my ACE class to see it.... man.... :dizzy: But then, the next year, we went to see TTT, but we had to read the book first this time. So, since I had never read FOTR, I rented the movie and watched it SEVERAL times and fell in Love :love: Then, quite ironicly, The Hobbit was on our summer reading list (which I don't understand cuz it's 5th grade reading level) and so I read The Hobbit, then LOTR, then The Hobbit again, then LOTR again, then The Hobbit AGAIN, then school started. I am now trying to read the Sil, but don't have much time with all of our required reading. So.... movies first, then books. But I love the books.... they can't be beat. I really like the movies, too.... I mean, there's just something about seeing all these things that, before, only lived in our imaginations, brought to life. It was amazing, but you STILL can't beat the books
Gwenhwyfar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2003 06:27
I read and loved the books many years ago and was very nervous about the movies, but FOTR put all my fears to rest. (Then TTT came out and now I have new fears. :dizzy: ) I am really glad to see that the movies seemed to make many people want to read the books. There is so much the books offer that no movie could capture. On the other hand, the movies have provided some really stunning and beautiful visualizations of this make-believe world -- even making it almost believable! In the end I think I am really glad we have both.

[Edited on 13/8/2003 by Gwenhwyfar]
kingurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2003 05:06
I read the books after I'd seen the first two movies, and am in the process of re-reading them. I saw LotR b/c it looked kinda interesting, not knowing it was the story that came after the Hobbit(which I read when I was younger and hated). I instantly fell in love with it and decided to read the books, and absolutley loved those, so I'm reading them again. I prefer them to the movies any day, simply because they're more in-depth and I LOVE the way Tolkien wrote them, The language is gorgeous, and I understood the story so much better after I had read them.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2003 01:14
I read the books before the movie, and really enjoyed them. Then I went and saw the movie, and absolutely loved it. I didn't really know if I was going to, but although it was different to the books in a few ways, I liked it, though in a different way to the books.

Simbelmyne
LegolasMorkwood10
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 11:01
I started reading the books after I saw the movies and I love them!
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 07:01
My relationship with LOTR is actually rather complex, but I count myself as a "bookie" overall. Here's the full rundown for anyone who cares

1. Saw the animated Return of the King on TV when I was about 10. I liked it fairly well but forgot it almost completely.

2. Starting at about age 11, tried several times to read either The Hobbit or LOTR. Finally gave up sometime during my teens.

3. Heard that the movies were being made. Figured this was my last chance to read the books and develop my own mental pictures without the movies interfering. Started with The Hobbit in summer 2001.

4. Did not quite finish reading The Fellowship of the Ring before my first viewing (January 2002). I had gotten as far as "The Mirror of Galadriel," but I knew what was going to happen to Boromir (I don't remember how I knew that), so the movie didn't have any real surprises.

5. Finished The Two Towers in July 2002 and The Return of the King in October 2002. Once I was done, I was glad I had finally read all of LOTR, but I didn't think I was so attached that I'd mind if anything major was changed for the movies.

6. Went to see The Two Towers in January 2003 and was astonished at how upset the changes made me! I guess I was more of a "bookie" than I realized.

[Edited on 7/9/2003 by Cressida]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 10:31
Technically I'm a non-bookie, I suppose, but I wish there was a more specific title for me. Long story... I always intended to read LOTR because I'm a major fantasy fan and everyone's always saying LOTR was the greatest fantasy ever written. From the age of about eleven I had the Hobbit on my bookshelf (which I had to read first, because I hate reading books out of sequence) and every few months I'd get it down and try to read it and I don't think I ever got further than about page 30.

When I saw the trailer for FOTR I knew I'd go and see it because my dad and I watch every sci-fi/fantasy film which comes out. Some of the people at school began reading or re-reading LOTR but having just absolutely HATED the HP films because of the changes from the books I thought I'd be better off reading the book afterwards. But, as I've said, I have to read books in order, so I forced myself to read the Hobbit. I liked the plot and the characters of Gandalf and some of the dwarves and incidental characters, but Bilbo annoyed me (I'm sorry Bilbo! I love you now!) as did his style of writing, and I was still about 100 pages off the end when I went to see the film, a week after I started reading. Usually I can read a book as long as the Hobbit in one day, after school. For some reason, though, I was already really into the idea of LOTR and I have a collection of pictures of elves I drew as an excuse not to read the Hobbit.

Then I went to see the film anyway and fell instantly in love with it. I got home and read the rest of the Hobbit in an hour then rushed out to buy LOTR. I now have the trilogy on my shelf but have only read FOTR and most of TTT. I am still determined to read the books after seeing the films (although certain temptations are threatening this resolve) because I konw if I do anything else I'll just nitpick my way through the whole of ROTK like I did with HP. That doesn't mean I'm not very very into Tolkien's beautiful world: I'm trying to find out everything I can without actually finding out the plot of ROTK and I really enjoyed the Sil. Which I read in a day. While the Hobbit took me several years, overall.

I think the films are an absolutely stunning example of the media and are my favourite films ever made. Without them, I would never have got into the books, at least nowhere near the obsessed state I am in over them currently. The books are awesome and are the most carefully constructed books I have ever read, and love every tiny detail of Middle-earth I can get my hands on. I didn't vote in the poll. I couldn't tell you which I prefer, but by reading the books after the films and suffering the title of non-bookie I am able to enjoy both as the high point of their genre.

Kiss
Ersulwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 11:31
I read The Hobbit about 5-7 years ago.... After I half of year I found TLOTR....
After that I regulary read it 3-4 times a year....
I like the book much more, than film...
I always prefer books more than films.... (of course if it`s interesting )
Cressida
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 05:35
Kiss,

Cheer up, only 3 months or so to hold out! I think your choice is a valid one, and in some ways I wish I had done the same thing myself. When I was working through my upset over the changes in TTT back in January, I frequently regretted having read the books first. Besides, this way you still have something to look forward to after you see the movie!

Did you manage to become a Faramir fan from the TTT movie? If so, then I guess there's hope....
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 07:21
Yet another opportunity to tell the tale about my discovery of Lord of the Rings...

I was forced to watch the movie by my father, and soon after read the trilogy to clear up the details. Then I read the Hobbit. I had tried before, but decided to quit after the first two chapters because it didn't really catch my interest. The Simarillion soon followed, to clear up the questions from the trilogy.

Over all I love the books, but I am not a bookie. I think. I try to enjoy the movie as a movie and not with a it-should-be-an-exact-copy-of-the-book attitude.
pippinsscarf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 03:57
I read fotr after the movie came out and i finished ttt before the movie came out im in the process of finshing rotk but i like both
Iarlachien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 04:20
I saw a commercial for FOTR on the Sci Fi Channel at my grandparents' house in November before it came to theaters, and remembered that I had a box-set of the trilogy gathering dust at home ((a Christmas present from the year before)).
I really hate seeing a book-turned-movie without reading the book first. Why? Bragging rights, of course.
So in the space of three weeks or so, I read the entire trilogy. I finished ROTK the day before FOTR came out.
Yes, I consider myself a bookie, but at the same time I agree with Londe: I like to enjoy the movies for the movies, and not look at them with a This-Should-Be-A-Exact-Duplicate-Of-The-Books.
I am a bookie. I am in love with Tolkien's works, and I've read The Hobbit, LOTR, The Silmarillion, and the first two HOMEs. The books will always come first, but I'm not going to complain about the movies. Sure, they cut things out and changed things about ((hee)), but in my opinion, they're still the best movies I've ever seen. The End Of My Rant.
whittyb
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2003 10:23
I read the books before I saw the movie

Thats me.
I find the books better because theres so much more to the tales than in the movies.

Simple and short

[Edited on 8/9/2003 by whittyb]
Linithiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2003 12:03
I read The Hobbit several times when I was a lot younger, and then a few years later I got the LOTR books. I started to read them quite a few times, but I was just too young, and they were too long and complicated for me to get further than half way through TTT.
Then I was given the radio version on LOTR on tape, and I loved it so much that I must have listened to it about a dozen times, so I knew the story really well. Eventually, though, I stopped listening to it so much, and for a few years I forgot about LOTR.
When I heard that a film of LOTR was coming out in December, I started reading the books again a few months before - I was then 14, and the I was able to get to the end of them, although it took me several months.
I love the films, but I definitely prefer the books. I'm reading them for the third time now, and I've read the Silm. There's just so much more depth to them, and so many details in them are left out of the film, as it would be impossible to get them all in. I think the films capture the spirit of the books very well, but a lot of the changes to the plot in the film (Faramir, Elves at Helm's Deep, Aragorn falling off a cliff) really annoy me. I am a bookie!
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2003 05:41
I guess I'm with the majority (which feels really wierd because I generally go out of my way to be in the minority, but anyway) I read the hobbit when I was really young and my dad knew how much I loved it so he bought LOTR for me - and I've been in love ever since - though I have to say it was a certain King-to-be who caught my eye first, followed by the elf, the other man, the other elf, the brother of the other man.....etc...:drool:
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 08:01
I'm a die hard bookie! Really, I am! I devour big fat fantasy novels and I love it! I live on fantasy...
Anyways, now to the point of this discussion: I've read the books before the movies came out. I felt that, as a fantasy addict, I just had to read them, since Tolkien is a classic in the genre. Unfortunately, English is not my native language, so I read them in Dutch (library). At that time, they didn't get me as hooked as I am now, however. To me, the rather archaic language made it kind of.... well, I'm going to be really honest and just spit it out... boring. *ducks away for the rotting tomatoes and eggs being thrown at her
Then, the movies came out, and I felt an incredible urge to go and see Fellowship, which I did. I had chills running along my spine all the time (with me, that means that I absolutely love it! Songs that move me, will do that to me too). I've returned to the theatre five times, and I took up the books again. This time, however, I was smarter, and actually bought them in English! I joined some discussion groups, and I participated in a TTT study with in-depth discussion, so I felt all ready to go and see the movie. Which, the first time, was a disappointment. I was dumbfounded when I saw Aragorn diving over the cliff, I was confused when I saw the Elves arrive at Helm's Deep, I was angry when I saw how harsh and rude they'd made Faramir, and I was shocked when they let Haldir die! But, after all, a movie is not a book, so when I had gotten over the desillusion, I went back, and absolutely loved it. I'm really obsessed now, much to my boyfriend's annoyment sometimes, cause I drive him crazy with my relentless babbling about Tolkien and Middle Earth (and Aragorn :love: :drool: :blush: ).
In short, you could say that the movies have rekindled my interest, and made it a blazing fire. But I must admit that the books are waaaaaay better, especially in their original language. In my own language, I find that archaic language boring, but in English, I can't seem to get enough of it. How weird is that?

Navaer!
Alaere

[Edited on 11/9/2003 by Alaere_Dûnhilien]
Legolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 08:35
I suppose my tale begins about a month before FotR. I was glancing through a movie magazine and happend to come across an article about LotR. I was never in to fantasy so I just kept going, until a picture of Sean Bean caught my eye. He was always one of my favorite actors, so I decided to find out a little more about this movie.

Anyway, I began reading the books and was halfway through the Two Towers when FotR came out. I loved the movie and the books and since they were both fresh in my mind it made it all the more enjoyable.

Since then I have read the Lord of the Rings several times, the Silmillarion, Unfinished Tales, History of Middle Earth, several ME encyclopedias, and a book on ME maps, not to mention watching the movies more times than I can recall.

I suppose now I would be considered a fairly knowledgable person concerning Tolkien, and it all began with one photo of Sean Bean.
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 10:08
I read the books several times, LOTR, Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion and The Hobbit, along with any other morsel I could find with Tolkien's name on it (Tree and Leaf, for example). I was ready to be very angry about the films and went to see the first one with trepidation. I do, naturally, feel an urge to say to Arwen, "What have you done with Glorfindel?" After all, she even has his horse! I miss Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs. However, I think Peter Jackson is a genius and I love the two films I have seen and expect great things of the third.

Having said that, no flm could ever match the mastery of Tolkien's writing. I will never tire of reading the books. I'm actually reading LOTR again now. I think a lot of people will be drawn to the books through the films, and that can only be a good thing.

Neneithel
FrodoGurly43
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 03:50
For me it was Watched FoTR, then read the book. Read a little of TTT then watched the movie. Finished the book and went straight into RoTK. So the only book I read before the movie was RoTK, and a little of the TTT.
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2003 10:55

Well, my mum first persuaded me to read the hobbit when I was about 10. I really really liked it, and eventually I was given the box set of LOTR as a christmas present. I was hooked from the first page!!! I liked it because it was ever so much more deeper and darker and more complex than the Hobbit and the range of place and character was breathtaking. When I finished ROTK I felt like crying. Since then, my bookshelf has filled with more Tolkein books like the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales etc.
I was really excited when I heard a film was coming out. I knew there were obviously going to be changes and parts that would be cut out-I just didn't realise how much. But I really enjoy the films, but in a very different way. I don't find it ruins the reading experience at all: I imagine the characters just the same as when I first read the book, and some things in the film were almost exactly the same as how I pictured them.
I really like both films and book but I would have to say the books will always be my favourite.
Thanks Figwit for providing this forum!!!
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2003 04:49
I voted "I saw the movie, then read the books, and prefer the books"

Well, my story started later. My dad had read LOTR in college and could never get it. When the movies were WELL in theaters, he read them. There is a theatre in Daytona Beach (I live 30 min. north of the Racer's Heaven (lol) but I'm really connected with it so its almost like I live there) that shows movies that are usually out of theaters. So while I was in vacation in Canada in June 2002 my dad saw it FOUR times. Then in July he took me to see it. I liked it, but not as a fanatic. But I slowly became one in the course of a month or two. TTT came out. I liked it. Then I made a mistake. My sister had seen the movies with me. We wanted to read it. She took FOTR, and stupid ol' me took TTT. I think I was still reading it or read it and saw TTT again. I was slowly getting on to the "Mad at TTT" craze. I read ROTK, then FOTR. I loved the books, but still owed to the movies. I later read the Sil and then finally the Hobbit.

I believe the books are better because there so much in depth and discussions are good. BTW, my favorite book is TTT but I know its going to be my LEAST favorite of the Three.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email