Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
Post War of the Dragon
on: October 11, 2003 03:28
IMPORTANT NOTE: Hello everyone. Just to let you all know that I have no problem with you joining this RPG. I would prefer, however, that someone PM me before hand so I know who and what to expect. Thank you very much. Eladriewen.

This is for the moment a vaguely scripted RPG.
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: War of the Dragon
on: October 11, 2003 03:36
A cloaked stranger made his way down a shadowed path. He'd been alone now for the past few months on his journey south, and had found himself to be rather enjoying it. The pathway was rarely traveled and for that he was grateful. It gave him a sense of privacy.

Having walked through most of the daylight hours, he decided to take a rest on the side of the road. A fallen tree provided a perfect seat out of the way and out of site of the pathway just to his right.

Sighing in relief, he made his way over, tossed down his pack, and sunk down into the soft ground. He pulled out a bit of cheese and bread and let his hood slide down from his face.

His skin was black like the shadows, and his eyes the color of amber. A silver stream of hair ran from his head to his midback with long tendrils of braids in the flow. His ears were pointed, immediately giving him away as an elf. His face was drawn tight in muscles, along with the rest of his body giving him a firm, tough, handsome look with a mild ruggedness. He was handsome despite the oddities in his complexion, and as he sat in quiet thought and ate, he hummed to himself an old tune from the homeland he had left so long ago.

[Edited on 12/10/2003 by Eladriewen]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 04:43
'The tracks are fresh,' Amaril of Lórien thought as he inspected the ground. the dirt seemed hardly touched by an untrained eye, but to the elf they told enough. There had been a familiar stranger in these parts.

His blue eyes shifted from the ground to the darkening sky above. The sunset was beautiful. Golds and crimsons poured over the hillside as the earth welcomed the dusk. It would be a chilly night, though it bothered Amaril little.

His leather travelling boots shifted as he stood before his horse, Berethon. The creature shifted and snorted in impatience for his master to mount. They had been going at a reasonably slow pace for at least an hour after his master found the tracks, and he yearned to run again.

Wrapping his cloak about him to hide from prying eyes, Amaril smiled and stroked the horse's mane.

"Patience, Berethon," Amaril replied softly. "We are tracking a very cautious being. He does not want to be found, but we shall surprise him." The horse nickered in delight to be off again.
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 04:55
The black elf's ears pricked at the sound of a neighing horse. The soft thud of shoed hoofs on the soft ground barely reached him, but it did. He stopped his drifting thoughts and cast his eyes northward once more. Was someone following him, or was it a mere traveler? A voice raised high in song. Still, he was unsure.

The baying of the horse did not help to quell his worries either. He would not risk being captured out in the wilds, or robbed, or worse. Of course his skill was great with his weapons, but he refused to fight when there was no need.

These days, however, fighting was a need if one wished to survive.

Sighing at the sudden inconvenience, the elf threw his pack on the other side of the log, covered the tracks that showed he had left the trail, and climbed into a tree to await whoever was on the path. He also covered the tracks that lead to the tree. They would not find him so easily, and with the sun setting, the encroaching darkness gave him a high advantage against this person should they indeed pose a threat.

Taking rest in the crotch of a black walnut tree, he waited. The horse came to the crown of a nearby hill. The elf smiled.

Waiting.

Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 05:38
Amaril softened his song until it ceased to carry on the wind. His cloak blew softly around him as he eased off his horse. Berethon shook his head and his master absently rubbed his snout. Something was not right.

Even as night descended, his eyes had little trouble piercing the inky blackness. But there was an absence of a trail at the bottom of the hill. It looked as though the person had merely disappeared into thin air.

The skin on the back of Amaril's neck crawled. He had not anticipated for this newest revelation. The person, 'or should I say elf,' thought Amaril, knew he was being tracked. He would have to be extra careful.

Throwing the hood back over his brown hair, Amaril all but melted into the background. The trees had been forever his home, and he had learned many survival tactics as a scout of Caras Galadhon. He danced among the tree limbs as he surveyed the ground.

'The tracks have been swept away.' He nodded to himself. Carefully, he unsheathed his short sword. It rang as it escaped it's scabbard. It had seen many battles, but tonight, it would not be needed.

Amaril dropped to the soft earth below and stood behind a tree. He glanced about and spotted something quite unusual.

A pack. And the pack looked familiar. He was around somewhere. Amaril looked about quickly. Goosebumps developed on his skin as he realized he was more than likely being watched.

Suddenly, he felt movement above of him. The black walnut tree groaned in warning, but it came too late. the dark mass hit him full in the back, taking him to the ground.

[Edited on 12/10/2003 by Legolas{Greenleaf}]
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 05:44
His prey had walked blindly into his trap. Smiling, the dark elf did not even bother to draw a weapon, though the Lorien elf below him had.

With a movement the tree groaned beneath him. Now was his moment. He fell from the bows and rushed the elf to the ground. A blur of shadow and grace tumbling through the untame grasses.

It seemed that long moments had passed before they at last came to a still. The dark elf smiled eagerly, believing he had the upper hand. But suddenly, as if lightening had flashed across the sky, he found himself pinned to the ground with a sharp, unfriendly dagger at the tender flesh of his throat.

Anger welled up within him. He had underestimated his opponent for the first and last time, and it had cost him his life. So it comes to this after all. He thought sadly. He turned his countenance upon his attacker and sighed, ready to make a last request as was the way with elves before undoing the life of a foe. But the moon broke through both canopy and cloud to reveal the livid face of one elf to the other.

'Amaril?'

Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 07:45
'Siphon!' Amaril exclaimed. He could not hide the surprise in his voice. He had half hoped that his friend had come down from the north, but had not expected to see him on the North South road.

Withdrawing the sword from his friend's neck, he rose and reached down to pick up the dark elf. He swept him into a quick embrace before stepping back.

'I have not seen you since the War, mellon nîn(my friend),' stated the Lórien elf as he swept away the dust that coated his yellow tunic and brown pants.

'That is true,' answered Siphon. 'But I am here now. And at the end of a friend's sword no less.' He mock glared at the dark haired elf as he brought himself to his full height. Even at his full height, though, he was still an inch shorter then the fair skinned being.

Amaril laughed. 'Ah, but you would not be at the end of my sword if you had not surprised me so by jumping on me from the height of a tree.'

'I thought you a robber,' Siphon indignantly replied. 'My first instinct was to attack.'

Frowning, Amaril noticed that the dark elf held no weapon in his hand. 'You did not draw your scimitars. If you are planning on attacking someone, at least have a weapon on hand. Have you forgotten everything I taught you?'

Siphon snorted. 'Taught me...What have you taught me?'

'To not take someone by surprise when they have a sword in hand,' Amaril laughed as he clapped the Wargn on the back. 'Come, let us talk of happier things. What has been happening in the North?'

Siphon laughed and responded in kind. His voice faded out as they climbed back up the hill to where his pack still lie.
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 09:33
'Not much my friend.' Siphon stated honestly as they traversed farther down the trail. 'I have spent most of my time in Bree lately. I had hoped to find a challenge or two, but little of interest has come to my ears.'

Amaril lead Berethon by the reigns, and together the Wargn and the Elf walked side by side. It seemed as though they had never parted. Siphon continued, enraptured in his story.

'I worked for taverns and farmers, earning a living here and there when good men would take me. When I could find no one I turned to the forests and made my living there. Nothing ever happened to perk these ears of mine. Bree is a nice town, do not misunderstand. But for people like me it holds little.'

The leaves around them were still green, but there was a slight chill in the air that forewarned of the coming of fall. Each of the travelers wrapped their cloaks tightly around themselves and continued on.

'I see.' Amaril responded.

'What of you, then?' Siphon smiled, an eager twinkle in his eye. 'What have you been up to these days? It seems as if a hundred years have passed since we said goodbye all those years ago. Pray tell, I wish to hear all you have done!'

They went on, a bout of silence following Siphon's question as Amaril gathered his thoughts.

[Edited on 12/10/2003 by CarolP]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 02:19
Silence fell upon the old friends as Amaril considered Siphon's question. He did not want to put heavy burdens upon his shoulders. He remembered his friend saying that he was there to listen to his troubles, but his would sadden the dark elf.

Breathing in deeply, he bent over and picked up a piece of wood. The silence dragged on until he decided he should at least break it.

'Lórien is emptying,' Amaril whispered, not turning to meet the Wargn's amber eyes. Those eyes could be quite disconcerting when he wanted them to be, and he did not feel like coping with them tonight.

'What do you mean emptying? Surely the woods are still home to many of the Northdell (light elves). They are not all gone...' Siphon trailed off. The reality that the Elves' time was over hit him fully every time he looked upon his old friend. Amaril had been in Middle Earth since the Fall of Gondolin. He could not picture the world without the older being.

Picking up another stick, Amaril stood and looked at the younger being with akin to pity in his eyes. Every time he brought up the subject of the Grey Havens, Siphon refused to speak of it, saying that the Elves were still needed on these shores. He did not know if he would be able to say good-bye to any more of his old friends. It would be hard enough saying good-bye to the Wargn.

'The time of the Elves has gone, mellon nîn. My kin are leaving these shores. They can find comfort under the eaves of these great trees no more. Sooner or later, I shall depart as well.'

Another silence, only this one draped over the forest like a blanket, muffling all noise. Siphon was the first to break eye contact. He wrapped himself within his cloak and picked up a branch himself. It would be a quiet, tense night around the fire.
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 02:47
The troubling knowledge of Amaril's soon to come departure from Middle Earth never sat well upon the Wargn's shoulders. Being what he was, he had few friends that he could rely on, and none came close to Amaril.

It seems as if we're saying goodbye again after just meeting up. Siphon mused by the fire. Berethon snorted a few yards away, indulging on the rich grass of the pasture they had come to rest in. Amaril sat across from him, his eyes seemingly entranced by the fire. Siphon knew otherwise of course. The elf's thoughts were back to Lorien and the coming of their leave-taking to the Havens.

Siphon could not go with. He wasn't sure if he would were the choice presented to him. It was a hard choice in truth. Leave behind your people, or leave behind your friends. Of course the Wargn would never ask Amaril to stay, even though he would sorely miss his friend's presence. His place is with the elves. Siphon thought. I am a passing thing. The immortal see many things come and go. I am simply another face in a long life that has come and will soon find itself gone.

The thought was not pleasant or hopeful, but it was true. It gave Siphon hope that this would not be as painful for his friend as it would be for him. Desiring nothing more than finding a release from his newfound dreads, Siphon turned to his friend.

'When have you last eaten?' he asked, moving immediately to his pack before his friend could answer.

'This morning. I'm not hungry, you needn't-'

'You're eating. Don't bother arguing. You know better.' He smiled slyly and threw a hefty chunk of bacon on a small pan and placed it near the fire, tilting and spinning when he saw fit.

'What are you making?' Amaril queried, raising his eyebrows and eyeing the contents of the pan.

'A new concoction I created when near starving to death in the woods somewhere.' Siphon went on. The expression upon his friend's face was ghastly, and the Wargn could not help but laugh.

'I am joking! One of the better cooks in Bree taught me this recipe. Unless your elven tastes are too high, you may find it quite satisfying.'

Amaril sighed, shaking his head and chuckling all at once. 'I suppose there is no arguing over it?'

'Has there ever been?'

'If you're cooking kills me,' Amaril grinned, 'I will come back to haunt you.'

'And if my cooking kills you,' Siphon replied in a similar fashion. 'I will steal your horse!'

Amaril laughed.

~*~

It wasn't long before the meal was prepared. Siphon eagerly handed a large plate full of food to his companion and then settled down with a lesser portion of his own. He indulged in his meal as Amaril peered at it curiously.

'What sort of mixture is this, exactly?' he asked, poking a sausage.

Siphon chuckled. 'Won't you trust me old friend?'

Amarl raised an eyebrow. 'How many times do I recall you saying that in our past together with me only having less and less of a reason to trust you each and every time.'

Siphon blushed, though the color of his skin did not permit it to be seen.

'Come now. I'm eating it just fine. You don't see me writhing on the ground, clutching at my throat.'

'Yet.' Amaril muttered. He took one bite and swallowed, prepared for the worst.

[Edited on 13/10/2003 by Eladriewen]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 03:22
The meat tasted salty to Amaril, but no less delicious. He was momentarily surprised at how good it actually was. He was so used to soldier rations that he had forgotten what good food tasted like.

He glanced up and found Siphon grinning at him. Putting the plate down, he grudgingly met his eyes.

'I have to admit, it tastes pleasant to me,' Amaril muttered as Siphon leaned back, obviously pleased with himself. Since the last time they had spent time together, his cooking had improved ten fold. He ate his portion of the meal and leaned back against his horse. Berethon had laid down behind him and was content to close his eyes as his ears shifted every so often.

He craned his neck to look up at the stars. They were like faint lights glowing in a far off village. Each one twinkled, as if winking at him and he could not help but feel awed by them. Such majesty the sky held.

'Where were you headed?' Siphon asked, whispering as the quiet of night fell upon the forest. He had wanted to meet with his friend in a tavern in a nearby village, but fortune intervened and set the friends on the same path.

'I do not know, really,' Amaril answered distractedly. 'Anywhere but Lórien...' He trailed off and spoke no more of his home. It would do him no good to dwell on his past life there. 'If you would have me, I would like to travel with you for few days.' He did not want to impose on the dark elf, though he would enjoy his company immensely.

'You are always welcome to travel with me, my friend,' the Wargn smiled friendly. Amaril sighed. It was almost like old times, when the thought of the leave-taking did not weigh so heavily upon his mind. It would be nice to escape the present for a while, especially in the company of a close friend.
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 03:39
((I found a spot to jump in right here if that's ok!))

Moiraine trekked silently through teh woods, her own thoughts her only company, and had been for many years. Somewhere off to her left, she heard quiet mutterings of a converations. She quietly with elven grace tiptoed near a bush near the camp. She listened cosftly to the converstaion.

"So the elves are leaving Lorien as well..." she thought unhappily. "Elves must have truly finished their time then..."

[Edited on 13/10/03 by galadriel_elf_queen1]
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 03:50
Hiding his joy that Amaril had indeed enjoyed his meal, Siphon took to setting out his bedroll. Amaril did the same as well.

'Who should take watch tonight?' the Wargn asked, placing his hands on his hips.

'Do you really think it necessary to post watches here? We're near the Gap of Rohan, what trouble could befall us?'

Siphon shook his head. The amber eyes that were always so alert darted around them in suspicion. 'I trust to nothing. And you, a soldier of Lorien, should know to do the same!'

Amaril smiled. 'There are dangers that lurk in Lorien that do not dwell outside Rohan, my friend.'

'And there are dangers that dwell in the shadows of these mountains that the eyes of elves such as yourselves would not see.'

'Is that so?' Amaril raised an eyebrow. 'Very well, if you are so eager to have a watch posted, you may have the honor of taking the first one.'

Siphon shrugged and settled himself before the fire, crossing his legs at the ankles, and his arms over his chest. 'Very well. Good night Amaril!'

'Good night Siphon. Wake me later on if you feel necessary.'

'We shall see.' The Wargn stated. Amaril settled himself in the blankets of his bedroll and drifted into a light slumber. His eyes were open to the sky above. The elves were alert even in sleep, but Siphon knew that Amaril's mind drifted in dreams and memories. Any disturbance would rouse him from his slumber, but Siphon had no desire to take away precious sleep from travelers.

Sighing, the Warn cast his own eyes to the stars. He loved the night time. The darkness was comforting, as was the silence that usually followed. The extension of shadows played the advantage to any Wargn out in the wilds.

Siphon's kind naturally loved the darkness. It was an extra blanket of security in a dangerous world; and the Wargn were always in need for a place to hide.

Not desiring to think about his past, the Wargn started to hum to himself as he awaited the approaching dawn.

~*~

Dawn came and went swiftly. Amaril awoke to find Siphon putting away camp things.

'So, any creatures of the night attack as I slept?' Amaril jestered.

'Not tonight.'

'Perhaps we will find an inn later today where you can rest easily?' Amaril added hopefully.

'We shall see.' said Siphon with a slight shrug of his shoulders. 'Shall we be off then?'

Amaril nodded, putting away his bedroll and sliding his thin pack onto his shoulders.

'Yes, let us be off then.'

They started down the path in silence. The crimson hues of morning still cast out over the sky set the mood for their journey. Siphon was joyous that he had a companion on this long venture south. The North-South road often had travellers, but none of them paid much friendly attention to the Wargn.

With a noticeable lightness to his step, the Wargn walked side by side with the elf, who still held Berethon by the reigns. Together, they made their way toward the Gap of Rohan.

[Edited on 13/10/2003 by CarolP]
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 04:28
Moiraine watched the two throughout the night trying to learn if they were trustable. Either way she wasn't sure. She decided to follow them a little farther. As soon as she watched tehm heading for teh Gap of Rohan she ran ahead and quickly hurried to reach it before them....
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 12:49
The pair walked side by side for a handful of hours. Now and again they would converse or joke if the mood hit them, but always silence would creep up on them once more. The sun moved painstakingly slow across the sky, its red beams gleaming off the mountain peaks, sending streams of light dancing excotically into the shadows at their feet.

Siphon did what he could to keep a conversation going for the first few hours of their trek, but he eventually gave up and took to listening to the sounds around them. Now and again, he thought he heard the soft press of a foot on a thick patch of grass some meters behind them. He sensed a feeling of heated desire and excitement rise from the south as they started eastward. The suspicion that someone followed them laid heavily upon his mind for sometime.

Amaril, however, drifited in unpleasant memories and pondering. He was happy to be with close company once more, but at the same time he was not. He did not like to be reminded of what he would be leaving behind.

The Wargn would often try to pull him from his thoughts, but Amaril was in no mood to enjoy light talk and jesters. The thought of brooding seemed pleasant, despite the beauty around them both and the perfection of the weather during their walk.

When Siphon stopped in his trail, Amaril at first did not notice. He continued on, lost in thought, until he realized that the second pair of booted feet that he would often stare off at had gone.

'Siphon?' Amaril called questioningly, his head darting around to catch site of his friend. As his head turned west and north, he saw his black skinned friend glaring off toward the south, his eyes were pressed together in a squint,and his gaze was focused. His pointed ears shifted. So slightly that Amaril might not have caught it. But he did, and he knew what it meant. Siphon had heard something he had not. 'What is it?'

'I know not.' called the Wargn back to his friend. 'But I do not like it. I sense something but I cannot pin point its source or reason.

Amaril frowned. A warning from the dark elf was nothing to ever take lightly, especially when those penetrating eyes held that fire in their depths.

'Would you like to scout ahead?'

There was a bout of silence in which the Wargn considered this. At last he smiled and shook his head, swiftly quickening his pace so that he might catch up with his companion.

'I do not think they mean to cause us harm. Perhaps they are curious about us.'

'Or about you.' Amaril pointed out. 'Your kind are rare these days. Rarer than mine own.' Siphon frowned at his companion, who turned his eyes quickly away. 'I am sorry.'

'No, perhaps you are right. Still, I would not give them too much thought. Not yet. There is a small tavern we are coming upon before the gap. We can stop there and grab a small meal and a drink. Perhaps we will meet up with our friend there.'

Amaril smirked. 'Sounds nice.'

They continued on, still in silence. Each had their ears tuned to the wind, but they heard nothing else as they walked.

[Edited on 13/10/2003 by Eladriewen]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 02:04
The minute Amaril walked into the tavern, sweet pipeweed invaded his nostrils. He held back a gag as Siphon led the way through the throngs of people. The old tavern sat in the middle of a quaint village. It wasn't a very large town, but it seemed that many of the inhabitants found their way here, to enjoy a pint-or two or three-of the village's ale.

The bar was at the front of the building, where many men congregated to share a joke, drink their pints, and smoke their weed. A few glanced up at the hooded strangers, but many took no note of them. The boards underneath them shifted but made no noise to note their passing upon the old wood.

Amaril kept his hood up to cover his pointed ears. Many would find an elf an exotic thing in this day and age and would oggle at him as often as they could. He did not welcome their eyes tonight. He did not even know why he followed Siphon into the village in the first place. He wanted some answers from his friend, and he was determined to get some.

They found a small table in a corner of the room, close to the population, but still far enough away not to arouse interest. It was sticky, and stunk of stale ale and men unwashed. A waitress made her way over.

'What will you gentlemen be having this evening?' she asked in a high voice.

'A pint of your best,' Siphon answered methodically.

Amaril glanced over at him and tried to hide his smirk. He seemed as if he had done this often before. It would not be out of his character if he had.

'Same as him,' the elf answered, lowering his voice to a natural man's tone.

She gave him an odd look before nodding and leaving to get their orders. They did not speak to one another until half way through their first pint.

Setting down the goblet, Amaril set his gaze on the Wargn. He had noticed many times before that he need not call his friend in order to get his full attention. All he had to do was stare at him a few seconds before the dark elf glanced up from whatever he was doing. He knew that his friend did not like it, but he had questions that needed answers.

Amaril did not need to wait long. Siphon had stopped sipping his drink and looked up from his goblet. He did not meet his friend's gaze. The elf's eyes were deep and sorrowful. He could rarely meet them and not break contact first.

'What?'

'Just a couple of questions, friend,' Amaril stated.
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 02:19
Moiraine smiled, if not little more than a smirk. These men hadn't ever discovered where she was. Good. She turned and walked down the stairs from her perch at the top, trying not to be to conspicious. Not yet anyway.

She went straight over to the bar, ignoring the two fellows she had been following. She smiled at the man behind the counter, and the man immiadately melted. She was pretty, in most mortal men's eyes gorgeous, but she usualy didn't flaunt it unless it was to her advantage.

"Hello, this seems to be a charitable place." she said, smiling sweetly, though to someone wise to her tricks would have thought it sweetened with poisoned honey. "But might I ask who those two men are in the corner? They seem to be very antisocial."

"I..I don't know milady." the man stuttered, eager to please. "But they came in just a little while ago."

Good so I did beat them. Moiraine thought happily, but not allowing any of it to show on her face.

She brushed the man's hand as she turned away. "Thank you so much for your information."

She went down the the table not to far from the men's she had been folowing. Just close enough to hear what they were saying...

Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 02:28
The Wargn felt his blood chill at the statement. It was inevitable, he guessed, but to approach the situation so soon made him feel slightly cornered.

'Very well.' Siphon smiled, though uneasily, and the gleam in his companion's eyes made it evident that the elf saw right through his attempt at innocent ignorance. 'What questions do you have for me?'

'First of all,' the elf started. 'Why did you have us meet here? In this particular tavern? So far south from our preferred places of dwelling?'

Siphon smiled. 'It's convenience.'

'It's lack of convenience you mean.' the elf retorted. 'You were originally planning on heading in this direction anyway! What brings you so far south from Bree?'

'Nothing that concerns you.' the Wargn assured him calmly. He did not want this conversation to escalate into a verbal brawl. 'You need not worry.'

'Have you business here? Has something happend?' Amaril frowned. 'Are you in some sort of trouble?'

'No!' Siphon interrupted there so as not to allow his friend any worry. The Wargn loathed it when people fretted over him. 'No, I am in no trouble. I have simply come because someone has called my services.'

Amaril chuckled. 'And who would that be?'

'The king of Gondor, my friend.'

There was an impressed look that grew and faded through the blue eyes of the Lorien elf. 'What use would he have for your services?'

'There is trouble in the north, so I have heard.' Siphon began. 'Disturbing sounds and clouds of blackness rise over the Iron Mountains. The elves of Mirkwood grow fearful that some great power dwells there that has been forgotten. Nevertheless, King Aragorn has called that I travel north and seek it out.'

'Then why do you travel south?' Amaril pressed.

'I must first tell him that I accept the offer. He has also offered me payment before I head off so as to provide myself with necessities along the way. A small gift, I suppose, of gratitude.'

Amaril frowned, just as the Wargn believed he would have.

'When did you plan on speaking of this matter to me?' he asked, there was a hit of anger in his voice that Siphon believed he deserved.

'Well, in all honety, I hadn't.' Siphon admitted. 'I knew that the leave taking in Lorien would be soon, and I would be granted, in my journey north, the ability to enter into Caras Ghaldon to say goodbye to you. Continuing on my own way as you sailed steadily on to yours.'

There was a long moment of silence between the friends. It was Amaril's turn to say something now. His thoughts drifted between anger and confusion at the situation now being presented to him.

[Edited on 14/10/2003 by CarolP]
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 03:09
((oh I have an idea))

Moiriane flinched at the word sail. She hated the water, one of the few things she feared. She walked over to the men. "It would grieve you indeed to know that the ships to the Grey Havens have stopped sailing, due to unforseen circumstances." she pursed her lips uncertainly.

The Wargn turned and stared at her. "It is impolite to listen in on others' conversations."

She smiled. "I wasn't listening. I already knew whatever news you were speaking of, I just felt I happened to have a bit of imformation that you might find useful. But perhaps, if you find the news brought to you by a woman to inferior-" she cast a wicked glance back at him. "-then I'll be going now."

She strode out the door of the tavern and into cold sleet. Apparently it had started raining while they were inside. Just as she felt she was out of sight she turned the corner and waited. If what she had learned was correct that they would react...
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 03:28
Amaril's feelings had quickly gone from shock, to betrayal, to flow blown anger. Siphon never wanted him to find out about his most recent journey. Considering that it had nothing to do with him, he understood, but the voice of betrayal oft blocked out the voice of reason. His blood boiled in his veins. Was he not the dark elf's friend? Could he not be trusted with such information? He would loyally follow the Wargn even to the deepest bowels of the earth if need be. He had thought he knew that.

He clenched his teeth together. What would he do now, that the choice was set before him? Go on to the Grey Havens, or travel with his closest friend to Minas Tirith? He felt torn suddenly. Such a choice should not be presented to him. It was too hard to choose.

He ground his teeth and suddenly frowned. Why did he think that the choice was hard? The answer should have been plain: Follow his best friend.

'There is no separation in our paths, Wargn,' he answered coldly. 'I am coming with you.'

Siphon looked to protest but was cut off by his friend's glare. His eyes were like icy daggers, and he quickly looked down at his goblet. 'I cannot ask you to come with me. You must leave sometime. Now is the time to do it.'

Shaking his head, Amaril leaned back in his chair. 'And miss out on the most exciting thing that has happened since the third age? I don't believe so.'

Starting to get annoyed, Siphon glared back. The Elf could be so bullheaded at times, he often wondered if his father wasn't part mule. 'You have fought bravely and justly for ages, my friend. You know as well as I. You should not put yourself in grave danger. Not when you are so close to leaving these shores.'

Leaning forward, Amaril's eyes knit together in a frown. 'Do not presume to know what I have gone through, young one,' he whispered hoarsely. Siphon rolled his eyes. Every time they debated, Amaril would find some way to work in the 'I have seen more years than you could imagine' speech.

'Believe me when I say I have not had more of an urge to leave than I do now. But I will leave when I am no longer needed. Not when my best friend obviously needs my bow and arrows.'

'I am capable of taking care of myself in battle, Northdell,' Siphon answered indignantly. The older elf always felt obliged to worry about him. It annoyed him to no end. He was going to go on but was cut off.

A stranger suddenly made her appearance known. 'It would grieve you indeed to know that the ships to the Grey Havens have stopped sailing, due to unforseen circumstances.' she pursed her lips uncertainly.

The Wargn turned and stared at her. 'It is impolite to listen in on others' conversations.'

She smiled. 'I wasn't listening. I already knew whatever news you were speaking of, I just felt I happened to have a bit of imformation that you might find useful. But perhaps, if you find the news brought to you by a woman to inferior-' she cast a wicked glance back at him. '-then I'll be going now.'

[Edited on 14/10/2003 by Legolas{Greenleaf}]
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 03:48
Siphon stared as the woman left them alone once more. Just as the door closed behind her, he turned his eyes upon his companion.

'If what she says is true my friend, then you should head quickly to Lorien and see what problems are being presented.' The elf only continued to stare back at him. Siphon sighed. 'I grow weary of your stubborness, Amaril!' his voice was beginning to show an edge of anger. 'Your duty and place is calling to you! Do not give it up foolishly on my account. I will no have it!'

Amaril shook his head. It was all Siphon could do to swallow his fury.

'Because you are older does not mean you necessarily know better! There are times that call for following your head, Amaril, and times that call for following your heart! This is no time to follow the calling of your heart when the rest of your life is at stake! You are an immortal! I am not! My time in this world will soon come to an end. I will die. Do not throw away your only chance to be with your people for the rest of eternity to spend what would be to you a handful of meaningless years of your life with me!'

The Wargn's breath caught in his chest. The icy chill of his words stung him, and he waited in trepidation for his friend's response. Suddenly he wished he could go back and reword every last sentence, every display of frustration and anger. But he waited. It was all that he could do.
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 04:56
'You are an immortal! I am not! My time in this world will soon come to an end. I will die. Do not throw away your only chance to be with your people for the rest of eternity to spend what would be to you a handful of meaningless years of your life with me!'
Siphon's words echoed in Amaril's skull. He was right of course, but how could he forsake his friend now? He had never felt as lost in all his long years as he did now. He kept his eyes trained on the door, as if he were waiting for the mysterious woman to reappear.

'I made my choice,' Amaril whispered softly. 'If what she said is true, then I have already lost my chance of sailing.' He stood then, squaring his shoulders and shouldering his bow once more. 'You are right. At times, it is best to listen to one's head than it is to listen to one's heart.' He looked away from his friend then. He could not cope with the emotions churning through him right now. He could not leave these shores, and he could not follow his friend. Siphon would not have it.

He took a deep breath, and muttered, 'But I have learned in my long years that one's heart oft keeps beating after one's mind has stopped thinking.' He pulled from a coin purse two gold coins. Dropping them on the table, he met the Wargn's amber eyes, perhaps for the last time. 'Good-bye, mellon nîn.'

And with that, he turned and left, following after the lone woman.Image

[Edited on 14/10/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 02:49
Moiraine waited till Amaril walked out the door. She stepped infront of him a steely glare in her eyes. "You are just going to leave him." she stated simply, a cold light in her eyes. "You would leave your greatest friend. You would think, that if your friendship meant enough, you would care to stay with him. At least you have a friend, one who would stick with you for years, whether you were immortal or not. You... you shouldn't..." her voice quivered a moment and tehn regained composure.

"Surely you do not think that your part in this tale could be ending." she said softly, staring into his eyes, ignoring the fact that she was wet, and cold, with her hang dragging damply down her back.
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 03:18
Amaril regarded her with a steely glint in his eye. She spoke true. How could he turn his back on his best friend? Surely if his part in the tale were ending, he would feel more complete and sure of himself then he did right now. It had been hard to turn his back on Siphon.

'If only it were so simple, maiden,' he finally responded. 'If only it were so simple as to walk away. But I cannot.' he leaned closer to her and whispered hoarsely. 'Back in the tavern, you said that you had news that we would find useful.' Through the sleet, he squinted his eyes. 'What news do you bear?'
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2003 04:14
(((how do ya like my new avvie? Its my char....)))

Moiraine squinted at him through the sleet before shaking her head. "Its quite chilly out here if you don't mind, and I believe whatever news I have should be told to both you at the same time. After all, it was in the beginning his mission correct?" she paused. "But I think the first must be introductions." she turned and walked back the the tavern hiding her smile.

It is working accordingly. Good. she thought. Of course, I knew it would. It had too...
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 12:16
Siphon had watched Amaril step outside of the inn in a blind rage that had been kept contained. Not seeing that there was much he could do now to ease the message of his words, he decided to find his way upstairs into a halfway decent room.

Moving to the bar keeper, he signaled his intentions and immediately the man bowed in response and headed upstairs. Siphon followed soon after. The halls and corridors were dark. The candles in their holds were nearly burnt down to nothing. However, the Wargn minded little.

The innkeeper unlocked a room and handed Siphon the key. 'Two beds sir, in case your friend be comin' back.' The dark elf sighed and nodded his thanks. Entering the room he decided to sit up for a while. Amaril, in due time, would realize where he had gone and inquire about his companion to the bartender. Unless Siphon had truly angered the elf.

He waited impatiently for the Northdell to return. Long moments passed. The Wargn began to grow angry. Not with Amaril, but with himself. The lingering silence allowed his words to come back to him in full force time and time again, reliving each and every moment. Biting his lip, Siphon stood to exit the room. His weapons were all attatched to his belt tightly, and he prepared himself should they be needed against a troublesome villager in the streets.

But as Siphon opened the door,a figure stood in the threshold. A pair of blazing hazel eyes bore into the amber colored ones. The blonde hair was tied back into a fashionable pony-tale, with tendrils of braids hanging from the crown of his head. Long bangs hung limply at his cheeks and eyebrows, framing the glare of the eyes and making them appear, if possible, even more intense. A smile danced across the man's face.

He was a human, and he was an assassin. Dedicated to the art of life taking and deception. He was a master at his work, and did well to make sure those who crossed his path learned that lesson well. Usually, however, they never lived to apply the benefts of it.

'Hello Siphon.' he smiled. There was an unnerving calm to his voice. 'I had hoped that, our next meeting would be under....better circumstances but..'

'What do you want?'

'It seem that someone is not happy with you. I have been hired to...relieve the of that, should I say?' Siphon sighed, biting his tongue to restrain bitter words. This day was not his. The assassin continued. 'I know you have friends waiting for you downstairs. I'm afraid I will have to interrupt that meeting.' A flare crossed his eyes. 'You won't be meeting them.'

'We'll see!' Siphon snarled.

He moved to draw a scimitar but too late. The assassin dove and they both ended up crashing through the second story window. Glass shards went everywhere. Blood ran into Siphon's eyes, disrupting his vision. Immediately the attack came. The flash of twirling blades shone in the moonlight, and Siphon prepared himself for a sturdy fight. He only hoped no one had heard then. Particularly his companion.

After such a quarrel, this would not be a proper introduction to an apology.
~*~
Yet, as soon as the assassin had dove to battle him, he sped off into the darkening streets of the city. Sighing, and realizing that he should know better than to leave the safe haven of the inn, Siphon shook his head and gave chase.

He wouldn't let this man get away so easily.
~*~
But as Siphon trailed the tracks of the assassin more carefully, he noted that they lead out of the village. With a mournful sigh he turned his head back toward the sight of the inn. He was a fair distance away, but he could still see the illuminated windows in both stories. He thought also that he saw two figures standing outside, gazing suspiciously at the outside.

One sentence came to the Wargn's mind as he turned to the open road before them once more.

'Goodbye indeed, my friend. May your ships guide you home.'

And with that he went forth from the village.

[Edited on 15/10/2003 by Eladriewen]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 01:11
The stranger turned to re-enter the tavern when a noise of breaking glass struck his consciousness. Normally, in a human village, breaking class would not have concerned him so, if not for the strange feeling of impending trouble that accompanied it. His senses screamed at him to do something, anything.

So he drew his sword. It gleamed off the faint light emitted from the tavern, but his eyes needed it not. They scanned the area for any trouble, but found none. He dropped the curved sword to his side and frowned. Usually his senses were rarely wrong. What could have sent them off?

The strange woman turned and regarded the elf with an odd look. He didn't blame her. He probably looked like an idiot. But just then, a blonde haired man dashed past him and off toward the edge of town. Amaril knitted his brow together. He ran like a man was after his blood. Or maybe he was the one after someone's blood.

Amaril had a sinking feeling that he knew who that someone was.

Without so much as a comment to the woman, Amaril ran back the way the man came, searching the ground for anything: blood, weapons, bodies hidden in the shadows.

Amaril swallowed hard. If indeed he did find a body, he did not want to know who it was.

But, he found nothing, save broken glass. He crouched down to investigate. Using his sword, he picked around the glass and found disturbing evidence; blood covered the ground and a tussle had resulted. Amaril tilted his head back and looked at the gaping whole where the window had been. Whether Siphon had been targeted or not, he would go after the man.

Rushing past the confused woman, he made his way back toward the front of the tavern. From there, he could track the man easily enough, for he did not look like he was trying to hide his passing. More warning bells went off in his head, but he ignored them for the moment. A mistake for sure, if not deadly, but he needed all his concentration on the task at hand.

Through the sleet and rain, he made his way toward the edge of town. He squated down and searched the grass. There was the man's passing marks, but another set accompanied them. With the woman following him, they both ran after the markings in the grass.
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 01:37
The man knew what he was doing, Siphon had to give him that. The mountains loomed directly over the path that the assassin had intended for him. The darkness would put the man at a disadvantage, but only a slight one over the Wargn. Sighing at the inconvenience and the bitter turn this journey had taken, Siphon started slowly forward.

A small corner of his plagued mind thought back to Amaril and the strange woman. Had they heard the crashing of glass? Had they followed him out here? The Wargn shook his head. He wouldn't allow those thoughts. He had other things on his mind.

Wiping blood droplets from his eyes, Siphon moved through the shadows of the Misty Mountains. His eyes gazed forward despite the blur. He saw nothing, heard nothing, and sensed nothing. There was more to this man then what met the eye.

Easing near the outer wall of a small ring of rocks, Siphon kneeled. Still he saw nothing. He took this oppotunity to check some of the larger cuts he had received from crashing through the window. Nothing too bad except the gash above his eye. His arms were the worst of it, but they would heal soon enough.

He began to move forward, but heard at last what he was waiting for. The falling of loosened gravel from just over head. The Wargn smiled. His assailient had made a terrible mistake. Siphon kneeled and prepared to leap up to the crevice and meet the devilish man. But instead, he came down upon Siphon.

Hard heel met the soft flesh of mid back, and the Wargn was down on the ground seeing stars before he knew what was happening.

'You're so predictable!' the assassin laughed. 'Like a moth to the flame, you are lured here by the desire to do what you think is right.' His cold blade traced the line of the Wargn's spine, then came to rest at the base of his neck. 'Don't worry, I'll leave your corpse for your friend to see.'

Siphon growled. With a swift movement he did not believe himself capable of doing, the Wargn brought both legs up and kicked the knee caps of the assassin. He went down instantly.

The Wargn pulled himself up and drew the other scimitar from its sheath. He stood threateningly over the man and snarled. 'You will leave them out of this. You will leave now. Do not come after me or my companions again.'

'I'll leave your companions alone,' the assassin promised. 'As soon as I bring your head to my master!' he launched himself with frightening agility at the Wargn, but Siphon's blade was already poised and ready. The scimitar slipped right between his ribs with ease.

Blood bubbling from the wound, the assassin fell to the ground never again to rise. The Wargn took a deep breath, and then doubled over in pain. The assassin's dagger had found his side.

'No matter.' The Wargn argued with himself. He dragged the body of the assassin to the shadows of the mountain and left him there, wrapped in his cloak in hopes to hide him from the eye both trained and untrained. With a few words of his own tongue he placed a hand over his wound and spoke a healing incantation to lessen the pain. With that he moved out of sight, covering his tracks in case there were others who would be interested in finding him that night.

Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 02:30
The sleet had ended a few minutes ago, but it had washed away many of the tracks. Amaril sighed tiredly. All he wanted right then was a glass of Dale's strongest wine. He wiped away moisture that had collected on his hood and peered through the darkness. They had come upon a small clearing, surrounded by a ring of rocks. There, the tracks ended but the grass was flattened and covered with blood.

A battle. They had fought, and only one walked away alive. He prayed that the dark elf was the one that had walked away.

He had established about a mile back that he was indeed following his old friend. The indentation in the grass had given him away. Any other tracker would have dismissed the marks, but he had tracked the Wargn many times before, and knew what to look for.

'I believe that if we split up, we might find them quicker,' he whispered to his companioin. She eyed him distrustfully for a few seconds before conceding to his request. The split, she going right and he going left.

They had not gone far from each other before Amaril heard a faint sound of exclamation. He perked his ears up and ran to the other side of the ring. Kneeling down next to the stranger, they both inspected a corpse, obviously hidden and left to rot. He grimaced when she threw aside his cloak to reveal a deep wound between his ribs. The wound still wept his blood upon the ground.

'The wound was fatal,' she whispered to him. 'He died instantaneously.'

Nodding, he was relieved to see that the face of the attacker was not familiar. Amaril gave himself enough time to breathe again. He had unknowingly held it while looking upon the deceased man.

Picking up the man's hand, he closed his eyes and said a quick prayer over the deceased. He could not turn his back on a dead man, even if this man was killed in a just fight. He opened his eyes to close the man's eyes forever when something caught his eye. A tattoo of some sort, expertly printed in his skin forever. Brushing his thumb over it, Amaril examined it further.

The tattoo was a design of some sort, with loops woven in and out of each other. it was a sort of maze for the eyes. Narrowing his eyes, Amaril recognized the logo.

An assassin. Putting the man's hand down gently, he tried to quell his feelings of anger. Yet another man out for his friend's blood.

The strange woman was standing now, over them both, looking back toward the far side of the clearing. She must have heard something. Standing as well, Amaril drew his curved sword again. Stepping in front of the woman, he noticed she had her weapon in hand as well.

Moving toward the supposed noise, the elf soundlessly stepped in front of a larger rock. Perhaps Siphon was hiding. Or injured. Probably injured, since the dark elf was always on the move. Rarely injuries kept him immobile, but the assassin looked to be a formidable opponent. Stepping behind the rock, he was surprised to find no one.

Just then, a knife found his throat and he stopped midstep.

[Edited on 16/10/2003 by CarolP]
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 02:42
Siphon held the man tight for some time, desperatey making attempts to ease his breathing so that it was not so obvious that he was wounded.

He moved to end the man now, but Siphon realized as he held his prisoner that this was no mortal man. It was an elf. A few more haggard breaths inhaled and exhaled, and Siphon spoke.

'Your name?'

There was a bout of silence before a chuckle escaped into the night air.

'You know my name, fool. Release me or you'll sustain five massive head injuries before you hit the ground.'

The Wargn also chuckled, though weakily, and released his friend. Moiraine was with them in an instant, a weapon drawn and readied. Amaril smiled and turned to face his companion. But the smile soon faded.
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 03:02
(((Wow you guys move fast...)))

Galadria pulled out both of her daggers when she saw a knife at her companion's throat. She had hers out and ready to slit before she realized it was the other man she had saw in the tavern. She stepped away, but then saw that Siphon was bleeding, though it had been staunched by a magic of some sort. She stared at him. "How deep is it?" she asked seriously.

He shook his head. "Not that-"

Not even caring for his answer she placed both hands at his temples and she saw him twitch as she flowed a healing magic into him. She knew it was painful but she quickly glanced at Siphon and saw that the wound had dissapeared. She allowed herself a slight smile, though she hid it immiadetily.

He stared at her with almost a little distrust in his eyes. "Don't worry it's healed not made worse." she said quietly. "Now if you will please explain why we found a dead body back there and you wounded I believe we could all get on wth our little lives."

Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 12:51
There was no way to get around the answers, Siphon knew that. But he wasn't at all eager to share information either. Especially with this woman he barely knew. Seeing Amaril again made him feel rather awkward as well, after having had such a terrible argument with him in the tavern. But there was no way around it, and the fact that he would have to divulge some dark happenings of the past few years.

'He was an assassin. The man you found.' it was a rather pathetic introduction to such a massive situation, but it was all he could formulate in his mind right now.

'Yes, I saw the markings on his hands.' Amaril stated. Siphon nodded.

'His name was Amarik. I know this because I met up with him many times in the past under better circumstances. We were friends then, or close acqaintances, even had a few small adventures together while we spent our time in Bree. We had grown close, or so I thought. I soon found out that my companionship with Amarik had been pretense. He had been sent to keep an eye on me until the time was right to take me out of the picture. He was working for a higher cause. I know nothing of it.
King Aragorn offered me protection in return for services to help him discover the troubles up north. Of course I accepted. It is very rarely that I find an enemy that is a severe threat to me. But this one,' Siphon made sure not to meet there eyes. 'This one is different. I accepted Aragorn's offer. I go now to Gondor. Or at least, that is the plan. I know nothing more.'

He frowned, waiting the response of others. Not caring to stand he took one of the surrounding rocks as a seat and waited as his companions processed the information.

[Edited on 17/10/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 03:58
Amaril had almost laughed when Siphon had indulged that he had almost been friends with his would-be-killer. Now that the truth about the assassin had been dragged into the light, he was even more acutely aware of how many were out for his friend's blood. Sighing deeply for the second time that night, he rubbed the bridge of his nose and walked over to his friend.

'Come, Wargn,' Amaril urged gently. 'We have a few miles to walk in order to get back to the village. We need to rest if we intend to leave for Gondor by first light.'

Cocking his head, Siphon glanced up at his light friend. In the meager light, he glowed like he were the only light within miles of darkness. A beacon, perhaps even a safe haven, for the lonely traveler. Rising to his feet on his own accord, he eyes his friend warily.

'You said 'we',' he finally answered, moving back toward the village. 'I thought that there was no 'we' in this situation.'

Clapping the dark elf on the back, he helped him support his weight. 'You have proven to me once again that you need my help in certain areas.' Looking over at his friend, he grinned. 'Like learning not to fall out of windows.'

The Wargn laughed then. It lifted the small burden off of Amaril's heart. He had been afraid that the small rift that had been built after their initial fight had widened. But it seemed it hadn't.

Stopping, they both turned and looked toward their female companion. She had not moved to start after them, like she had followed Amaril. The light elf smiled, and beckoned her to walk with them. The stranger hesitated for a second, before accepting the offer and walking back with them, side by side.

[Edited on 17/10/2003 by Legolas{Greenleaf}]
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 04:15
Despite his stoic nature, Siphon accepted the help from Amaril. He was overjoyed to find that he would once again be traveling with his closest companion once more. A new friend also at their side, he wondered if all of this was too good to be true.

The miles back would be long and grueling. Despite the woman's healing power, he still ached. There was a healthy knot forming on his back he was sure, and breathing hurt still. He felt guitly for weighing Amaril down, but the light elf didn't seem to mind too much, and he was silently grateful for the assisstance.

As they walked he tried to ease himself more and more off his friend's shoulder until at last he was walking, although somewhat clumsily, on his own.

Silene followed them, and that gave the Wargn time to think. Time to fear, more like it. What if they sent another assassin at him? What if this time Amaril was hurt? Or this new woman accomanying them? Could he live with himself if something happened to them? Even worse, if something happened while they were trying to defend him.

Siphon shrugged the thought away. He wouldn't allow himself to think it. He would die before such harm befell his companions. There was no question about it. None at all. Together they continued toward te village, each lost in their own thoughts.

[Edited on 17/10/2003 by CarolP]
galadriel_elf_queen1
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 03:16
Moiriane walked quietly next to the two men next to her, deep in thoguht.

Why was this assasin after him? she wondered, not letting her thoughts penetrate her face. She glanced back up at her two compainions and smiled, a slow sercet smile. She stopped, mid-step, and sat down on the ground, unhindered by her long skirts.

"I think its time I tell you who I am, and why I'm here." she said softly, looking into each man's eyes in turn.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email