Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Faerfaen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Costumes - Sewing
on: June 25, 2004 07:21
hey, so does anybody else design their own costumes or have any pics of their reporductions or anything?

Oh yes!

Costumes, I've not gotten to yet. Eventually I'd like to do one for myself, but first I have to design and make an outfit for a buddy who's going as Haldir's sister for halloween this year.. should be fun!

I'm also *just* starting to learn how to do jewelry, but haven't gotten any father than the design stuff yet. Ditto for tapestries.

However...
The room decor I've been busy with these last couple months:
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Journal&file=index&jop=browse&mode=view&id=32750

The elven sword I made a while back:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=ad7e4b85da8f6a54040c85b2c398aab4&threadid=36078

A couple little daggers (more finished than the photos show, I'll have to post new pics sometime):
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Journal&file=index&jop=browse&mode=view&id=26723

And the cover I made for Gildor-Inglorian's WONDERFUL Sindarin texts --
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Journal&file=index&jop=browse&mode=view&id=26722
(updated with his name, of course.. still have the .bmps around here someplace.. )

and again.. I LOVE that butterfly crown you did! Very inspirational! Are you planning on soldering most of it from wire? What will the main body be made from -- cast or cut or what? And silver, I presume? How cool!

[Edited on 25/6/2004 by Faerfaen]
Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 12:05
I've made 2 costumes now, an elf and a hobbit. the elven one isn't finished yet, but here's a progress pic:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/tinorapster/DSCN3562.jpg

and here's the hobbit costume:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/tinorapster/hobbit.jpg

the elven dress is actually dark green, but it looks black in the pic.

Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: June 26, 2004 02:19

The room decor I've been busy with these last couple months:
Faerfaen ... looks nice - I like the hanging leaves and the window treatment, especially the glass elven crest decoration. (Last picture is my favorite lol) Great job on the weapons and Sindarin workbook cover too.

Eruvyreth_Himiel ... beautiful costumes - love the design on the elven one.

I'm reminded of my patterns and pieces of fabric sitting in my closet, along with sewing machine, patiently waiting for the day when I have more time for all my planned projects. *sigh* ... someday someday - meanwhile seeing everyone's ideas here keeps me inspired .
Arwen~of~Lothlorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 01:01
I'm fairly new to costuming, self-taught. Found it to be not so bad. There were many tears at first because I didn't know a thing about sewing but not so bad in the end. I've made 2 LOTR costumes and am now working on a fairy costume for the Ren Faire, and a vampire costume that's a mosh between LOTR, Underworld and my own design.
Alleycatscratch has pics of my reproduction of Arwen's Mourning Gown here:
http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/scrapbook/Morwen/Mourning.htm

I haven't posted my Bridge Dress yet because I'm still beading-meh. After I finish all the new stuff, I'm planning to get back into LOTR costuming. Any suggestions for the next one? I'm thinking about Eowyn's Riding Gown from ROTK. Or the Dernhelm armour. Or an Easterling. Or a Lorien guard. Or another Arwen costume...help! I can't decide!
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 01:23
Ooh very nice Arwen~of~Lothlorien .

As for what to make next ... well an Easterling costume sounds interesting, something different anyway.
Ellwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2004 02:17
I was looking at simplicity patterns today, and noticed that pattern #4940 (top left corner photo) has a dress that looks almost exactly like Arwen's red dress.

I thought I'd post here incase no one was aware of this pattern.

Arwen~of~Lothlorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2004 01:19
Thanks very much Goldsand! The Easterling costume was one I wanted to do last year, but I thought it a bit much to tackle then. It probably still would be, but I think it would be fun and certainly a learning experience!
Ellwen: I think #4940 is Simplicity's interpretations of Lord of the Rings costumes. The green one looks like Eowyn's Green Wool, and the other is Eowyn's shieldmaiden gown. #4942 has Theoden, Elrond, and Legolas-type costumes (they don't say so, of course, but the similarity is there).
But it is a nice pattern, don't you think? I've been trying to get one as soon as they were released, but none of my local fabric stores carry them yet! Eee!
Ellwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 06:47
Yes you're probably right, and I agree it is a nice pattern. I'm going to look at my local fabric store to see if they have the pattern in stock yet. I haven't made any LOTR dresses, yet
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 27, 2004 10:11
I have that pattern, I bought it recently at the local fabric store, on sale for $2! It's very nice, I mainly wanted the sleeves though.
Has anyone else noticed that all these patterns have princess seams, while the actual dresses in the movie usually had no such thing, and were flat in front, shaped at the side seams? I want to make a truly authentic looking costume, so I'm semi-drafting (using a pattern armhole and basic shape) a pattern for a gray/blue version of Eowyn's white dress. They say that if you have a small figure (which I do) you can wear a dress without the princess shaping. Has anyone seen a fitted A-line pattern without princess seams that would work for these costumes? I am having to do some major adapting, but I was wondering if there were such a thing.

I almost laughed when I opened the pattern book and saw two full pages with the titles, "Feminine Fellowship" and "The King Returns". Very thinly veiled references, I guess that they can't say, "LOTR Costumes" because it's copyrighted. They are getting less and less subtle!

Your pardon for the lengthy post!
Ellwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 10:53
Andreth, have you checked the dressmaking details at Ally Cat Scratch dot com? I have been looking at all the costume making details on that site and I doubt there is a more accurate set of directions anywhere.
Andreth_Laiqualasse
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 11:31
I have checked Ally Cat Scratch. That is where I've been getting most of my info for this costume. It is great, isn't it?
Ellwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2004 03:28
Yes! It's brilliant! But oopsy I spelled it wrong, forgot the E in Alley. :blush:

I was looking in a fabric store today in the fashion district. I found some fabric that by my memmory at least, looked exactly like what was used for Galadriels Mirror Dress. :drool:

It was only $139 a yard too!

In that case, I'll take 5 yards..... I wish.....:sob:

[Edited on 30/7/2004 by Ellwen]
Healer_of_Ithilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2004 02:36
$139?? That's ridiculous.. well, I don't know, perhaps it was wedding dress fabric or something.. golly.

I've made the Fellowship Cloak from the Alley Cat Scratch pattern... it would have turned out flawless, but I was making it for my 6' 6" brother, so it didn't have the bottom corners in quite the right spot, they were more up around his shoulders, lol, and then the rest of the cloak went down. But it looked good.

I made my own Éowyn dress, but I don't like it very much. The pattern I used (Butterick 3552, I believe... I think.. ) Then I made my brother an Aragorn costume, and my other brother, my latest and best costume--Gandalf the White. And of course, at the theatre on opening day, no one understood. The only cared that we looked like loons.
Lathronethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 04:15
Healer, got any pics?

Meltintalle
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2004 11:19
Costumes! *grins widely* I loooooove costumes!

Anyway, I'm kind of designing my own Arwen/Legolas costume. (For lack of a better description, of course.) It's a riding skirt like the underskirt for Arwen's chase dress, so that if I get really inspired, I can make the coat/dress; and since I'm not quite that inspired right now (and I've got the fabric) I want to do Legolas' tunic in blue for the shirt. Alleycatscratch is great, been there, looked at as much as I can, but I can't seem to find the pattern number they suggest for Legolas' tunic. Anybody made it, or have any ideas?

Thanks!
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 06:46
I don't know what's more fun. making the costumes or actually wearing them. However, I always have trouble with the sewing machine. How the heck do I operate that thing?
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:11
I want to be Arwen for halloween...what do you think is the easiest dress to make?

Mod Note ... this post and subsequent 7 posts were originally under thread titled "What is the easiest Arwen dress to make?" Originally dated from Sept 2004

[Edited on 1/14/2006 by Goldsand]
Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:21
Well, they all vary, but you can take a look around www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr to see which would be most in your capabilities to make. Just look at the arwen section.
Happy sewing!
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:25
Alright thanks!
Healer_of_Ithilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:27
I would say the easiest to make is her dream dress, but you probably don't want to go around on a chilly October evening with that thin thing on... Brrr.

Hmm. Her mourning dress with the veil seems to me somewhat easy, just thinking of the general shape of it as I am now. Trim at the neckline, fake buttons down the front, and a red sash type thing. Correct me if I'm wrong... But also I've seen a lot of reproductions of that dress, and you can't really go wrong, they all look very accurate.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:29
I think one of the easiest dresses to make is Rivendell Farewell. The hardest part of that dress would probably be the neck.
Good Luck!
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:31
Alrighty I know its a little bit past halloween, but I never got around to maknig my dress!!!! I've decided to start now, and I have decided on te requiem dress. Has anyone else ever made this? If you have, what material did you use for the actuall dress part, the neckline part, the upper sleeve and the lower sleeve? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:34
Yeah, I've heard the easiest is the dream dress. As for the requiem dress (one of my favorites), I'm really not sure. It looks similar in design to the Red dress Arwen wears when she is sick. I would think it is about the same level of difficulty to make.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 11:37
Yay requiem is my favourite dress! The blood red, requiem, and coronation are the same pattern. It is the same level of difficulty...if you want to make it accurate...you will need to dye the velvet for the over-dress.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:01
I was wondering: Does anyone know of any patterns that are good for Lord of the Rings based costumes? In my experience, Buttericks has some of the best fantasy costume selection, but I also found some in Simplicity.
What I'm specifically looking for right now (and others feel free to leave requests!) is a little girl's hobbit dress style. See, my little sister (she's nine) is wanting to do a Rosie-style dress for Halloween, and she wants to sew it with me (*such a sweetie!*) and we were trying to find a good pattern. I persuaded her to do a girl-hobbit (lass?) dress, but we need some pointers in the right direction.
We are looking for a full length skirt, and adaptable to full sleeves, because it's always frozen here by October.

I'd also be glad to help others find patterns for their costumes!

Mod Note ... this post and subsequent 6 posts originally in thread titled "Patterns". Originally dated from June 2004

[Edited on 1/14/2006 by Goldsand]
Lathronethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:03
This is so funny, i totally just looked up a whole bunch of new patterns on the websites for the Big Three [Vogue/McCall's/Butterick] and also on Simplicity, which really is the BEST.

So anyways here's what I found:

Capes

Butterick 4050

Hobbit Lass

Butterick 6196

McCalls 4107

Female Elves

McCalls 3797

And the following ones are Simplicity and they dont have links cause they're all weird about it...

Capes - 5794
Eowyn/Arwen - 4940
Human And Elven Men - 4942
Hobbit Lass - 8855 and 9966
Female Elves - 9891

i think that's all i can come with for now, im sure there are LOADS more.

People out there, add to the list!!!

-lathroneth

Edited to shorten links

[Edited on 6/29/2006 by Goldsand]
rosebud18
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:05
Hello!
If you are still looking for a pattern, here is a website that has a list of patterns that would be a good base for a hobbit cotume. http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/makingem/Patterns/Hobbits.htm I'm not sure if any of these are children's sizes, but maybe you could find something you could use.

Hope this helps,
rosebud18
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:08
I found something that is GREAT for anyone who can sew.
A simplicity pattern that includes Arwen's mourning dress, and 2 Eowyn dresses. One is with her "vest." I don't recognize the other, the dresses are different colors than the actual ones.
I got mine at WalMart.
Simplicity pattern number 4940
www.simplicity.com
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:11
And if anyone wants as close to a direct link as you can get

http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=4&type=19&sec=0&id=59&startrow=1
it's like on the second or third row of pics.

And right next to it! For anyone going for the Elrond or Legolas or almost-Theoden look, 4942 looks pretty good!
~Mirimë~
Elf Maiden of Loríen
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:13
Has anyone made Arwen's blood red (aka dying) dress from ROTK? Which pattern do you think is best? And also what would you estimate the difficulty to be?

Thanks
~Mirimë~
_Mouth_of_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 12:15
I'm planning to make Eowyn's refugee dress for graduation and bought the McCall's 3653 pattern (the dress on the right),
here

Haven't started it yet, but the pattern looks somewhat complicated. I'll keep you guys posted!

Edited to shorten link

Turwaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 10:04
Well...My friend and I are going to the Renaissance Festival this weekend , and we decided to make some Renaissance-y dresses to go in. We have (some what) a pattern for the bodice, the skirt, and she has a shirt to wear, but I don't . I think it would be awesome to have Arwen's type of sleeves, and I've found out how to make a basic Renaissance style dress.

...I need help on making the sleeves. (I would buy a pattern, but the only money i have is some spare change from Ecuador...and a Mexican Peso )

Mod Note - this post and subsequent 7 posts were originally under thread titled "Making an elven dress (and its sleeves)". Originally dated from May 2005.

[Edited on 1/18/2006 by Goldsand]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 10:06
Well, in the spirit of have-a-go, I'd suggest something like this:

Make the edge with the arrow pointing to it the same length as the diameter of the sleeves on the pattern, plus two inches to allow for hems. Make the long black edge twice the length that you want the sleeves to hang down, plus two inches. Sew the green edges together and hem the black ones. You get what is essentially a cone with both ends missing. You can then sew the small end of the cone to the sleeves. If there aren't any sleeves on the dress already and you want the flare to start at the elbows, just make a tube to go between the shoulders and the cone. Before you waste any fabric, get the size right by drawing the shape on bits of newspaper taped together, and you can then use this as your pattern as well. Hope that helps!
Turwaithien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 10:08
OMG Thank you!!!

:love: *huggles muchly*
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 10:10
*hugs back* my pleasure! It would be cool if you could post a picture when you're done!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email