Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
~Caradhriel~
Council Member
Send Message
Post Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: August 30, 2005 11:43

The other day I was watching TTT with my mum. It came to Helms Deep where Haldir poppin his clogs.

My mum, looking generally confused, said"I thought Elves were immortal?"

"They are."

"But he just died."

"Coz he got an axe in the back of his head."

She still didn't understand (sometimes she can be a few beers short of a six-pack, if you get what I mean) so I had to go into a LONG speech about how elves die if they are weary of the world, have a broken heart or an axe in their heads.

So has anyone else out there ever been asked a really stupid question about LotR by their parents/childrens/friends, ect.?

Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: August 31, 2005 04:47
*lol* You should hear my my relatives (luckily my parents and brother all love LotR). When I watched FotR with my friend for the first time (she hadn't read the book, but I had) I had to explain just about everything, including who were the bad guys:rolleyes:

Some other stupid questions:

Uncle (during some part of FotR): So this Aragorn person, is that him? *points at Legolas*

Grandmother (during Bilbo's party): Did they have fireworks back then?

Teacher (seeing me write in Tengwar all over my schoolbooks): Ooooh! Can you write in Arabic? I didn't know that!

And of course, the classic "Why is this ring so important?"
:rolleyes:
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 05:25
(Reading LotR)
Them: "Whatcha reading?"

Me: "The Lord of the Rings"

Them: "Never heard of it."

:banghead: Lol.
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 07:25
*lol Celede and orthanc5*

Hehe....that's hilarious. Actually, I'm the one who started asking all the stupid questions in the first place. Example:

Me: "Hey dad, what's that elf's name again? Is it Nicholas?"

Me: "Soooo....Saruman made the Ring, right?"

Yeah....I actually thought "Count Dooku" made the ring and Legolas' name was Nicholas. :blush:
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 06:00
Hmm I used to have this as my sig, and admittedly it's not as stupid as some of those others, but once I was watching RotK with a friend who had not seen it before and when it got the the Houses of Healing scene where Aragorn is doing the athelas trick on Eowyn, and he asked what was wrong with her, and I had to explain... "Well, her arm's broken, and the Black Breath..." and he immediately said "What, was stinky? They didn't brush for 1000 years?"

... I thought it was hilarious. I guess you just had to be there.
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 31, 2005 10:52
I was testing my un-LotR knowledgeable friend on how many LotR names she could do. She got Bilbo, Frodo, Legolas, etc, but then it came to this...

Her - "I know there's that evil wizard dude. I know his name, I just can't remember it..."
Me - "It starts with an 'S'."
Her - "Um... Soloman!"
Me - "Saruman. Close."

purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 07:16
I have to admit to some stupid questions the first time I watched. I think I had a half hour long fight with my brother over whether Gandalf was dead or not... *Cringe*

But since then I've had a couple. I'm not sure what I can remember though... Most of the time people don't come to me any more because I give them a lecture with facts from the silm/unfinished tales/home books mixed in so, so they leave more confused than they started. XD
Nenthule
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 08:01
I heard the question once "Harry Potter's quite similar to LotR isn't it... d'you think Tolkien's copying Rowling?"

:banghead:
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: September 01, 2005 11:08
Here are some of the stupid questions that have been asked to me: :rolleyes:

A friend (while watching RotK): "Is Aragorn a King?"

My mom (while watching FotR): "What's with the ring?"

My father (while watching TTT): "What's that walking tree?"
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 01:37
I could have sworn I posted this already.
My mom and step dad were watching TTT. I wasn't there, my mom told me this in a letter.
Stepdad: Why are there trees walking and talking?
Mom: Those are ents.
Stepdad: But why are there trees walking and talking?

I'll admit I was one who bombarded a friend with questions. I had never read the books. My last encounter with The Hobbit was when my parents were still married and my Dad read an "embellished" version to me. I was about 7.
I was a mess. I couldn't tell Merry from Pippin and I had Saruman and Sauron all confuzzled. :blush:
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 08:09

My mom (while watching FotR): "What's with the ring?"

HA!!! That's hilarious!
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 08:39
"Did they finally find the ring on Mt Doom?"

--question I usually heard from many people here in Taiwan, including my teacher from USA. They thought LOTR is a treasure-hunt story...
~LadyofMirkwood~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 09:50
My Mom thought that Gollum was a vampire, (In TT when before he become's Frodo's guide.) And she also thought that Frodo was an angel in ROTK when he wakes up after Mount Doom. My Dad is ALWAYS asking questions about the movies, and yes, I've been asked a LOT 'what's with the ring?'
But I was pretty bad with questions too. I auctually thought that Legolas was Leg-less for a while.... :blush:
Silmaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 06:02
I got quite a few silly ones...

Sis: Now was this A.D. or B.C.?
or
Mom: Are those the fairies? (When Haldir comes to Helm's Deep)
nippip_dna_yrrem
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 06:04
My sister used to ask me a bunch of stupid questions, but she doesn't anymore...
For Example:
"Who's that?"
"Didn't he die in the last scene?" (This happened with my Dad as well, and it's inevitably about someone who wasn't even in the last scene.)
"So he's the king?" Referring to Boromir, Denethor, or Faramir.
and my favorite just because it's completely unanswerable:
"What's going on? I'm confused..."
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 01:22
My sister called me up after watching TTT, asking me where Gollum went and what happened to him because he just disappeared. I couldn't figure out what she was talking about until she said that Smeagol told Gollum to leave and never come back. She thought that Smeagol and Gollum were two different people.
punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 02:44
My mom read the trilogy once in the seventies. In the theatre for FotR, right after the prologues, she turned to me and said, "Is any of this going to be important later?"
When I went to see RotK for the second time, one of my friends (who had never read the books) said, "Hey! That's that ranger Argon (seriously) guy! Why is he wearing a crown?"
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 09:20
My mom read the trilogy once in the seventies. In the theatre for FotR, right after the prologues, she turned to me and said, "Is any of this going to be important later?"
When I went to see RotK for the second time, one of my friends (who had never read the books) said, "Hey! That's that ranger Argon (seriously) guy! Why is he wearing a crown?"

Yes, because LotR is really a tale about Argon and his friend Boron, and their adventures with Zinc, Iron, Aluminum, and Mercury. :evil:
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 02:30
Oh gosh, you guys are killing me! I think the funniest thing that happened was when my mom referred to the Prancing Pony as a nightclub!!! My sister and I were in stitches laughing over that one!

Also if my sister and I see an LOTR character somewhere other than LOTR (i.e. Sean Bean in National Treasure) and we tell her she just asks, "Which one was that?"

She also asked if Pippin kicked the bucket after he looked in the Palantir.
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 07, 2005 02:14
I think the funniest thing that happened was when my mom referred to the Prancing Pony as a nightclub!!!

Lol, Club Prancing Pony! Maybe that's why Shirefolk always consider hobbits from Bree so strange.
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 09, 2005 11:18
hehehe this is a cool thread :rolling::disco:

First of all I must say some of the embarrassing questions I asked :blush::blush: -the main one I remember concerns Elrond... however you must realise that I had borrowed the Matrix no 1 and 2 from the video store and had just gone to see number three in the week before seeing the Fellowship (yes I was a bit behind -I only saw the first two LOTR movies about a month before the third on came out :blush::blush::blush: ). Anyway we started watching number one and I saw Elrond (Hugo Weaving) on the battlefield during the prologue (I didn't say anything but due to my previous week of movies I immediately thought 'ah that's a bad guy')... then later after Arwen had taken Frodo across the Fords and Elrond begins to do that dreamy bit... I said to my sister
'Wait -he's a bad guy isn't he? How did Frodo end up there after he was just saved by that good one back then? What happened?' My sister said 'No he's a good guy'.
I said 'No he can't be -he's a bad'
'No he's like one of the goodest and oldest good elves in the whole story!!!'
'Are you sure?'
'Yes.'
'So he's good then...ok'
:blush::blush::blush::blush:
So due to this rather embarrassing lot of questions I have to say questions from others that I have heard don't seem near as bad in comparison. Anyway some of the comments I've overheard have been (this was an argument between some people at my school -I was a silent LOTR fan at school -no one knew - until the last few months or so I'm finally coming out of my shell). One guy says to the other 'Saruman made the orcs'
'No it wasn't; Saruman made the Uruk-hai'
'Well who made the orcs'
'Sauron made the orcs'
'No he didn't'
'Have you read the books?... well then don't argue with me I've read the books and Sauron made the orcs'

(it was hard for me to bite my tongue walking past this)

As always the favourite parent questions -'So tell me again why didn't Aragorn go to the Undying Lands?'
'He wasn't elvish Mum he couldn't go'
'But he did so much good'

Now for some comments (from family, friends etc)

'Why didn't Elrond take the Ring to Mordor -or even go with them -he's such a wimp!!!'
'Why didn't they help Gandalf up?' (when he fell in the Mines of Moria)
-'Why on earth did they ever bring that idiot Pippin along, what good did he ever do?'

I can't think of the others right now :rolling:
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 05:46

Lol, Club Prancing Pony! Maybe that's why Shirefolk always consider hobbits from Bree so strange.

Hahaha! That's a good one!
gerin_estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 06:09
This happened recently actually...
My friend and I were studying together, and in between we started talking about Lotr. (She knows pretty much nothing about lotr by the way) So somehow Elrond's name pooped up.
Friend: Wait, who's Elrond?
Me: The elf in Rivendell. You know, the one who healed Frodo.
Friend: eh?
Me: Ok. You know, when Frodo was stabbed by the Ringwraiths, and this elf came to save him. (referring to the movie)
Friend: Oh! Elrond's that elf?
Me: No, That elf's father is Elrond. Ok, remember when Frodo woke up in Rivendell, and there was an elf there?
Friend: OH! Elrond's the guy with the beard and the pointy hat thing!
Me: No, Elrond's the healer. The one who appeared behind that guy with the pointy hat.
Friend: OOOOO
About 5 minutes later.
Friend: Who's Elrond?

Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 11:48
I saw TTT with my cousin Laura, and during one of the scenes with Wormtongue in she said, "Who's that guy?"
I replied with "Wormtongue."
She obviously didn't hear properly, because she shouted, "Wormtail!!!?"
I cracked up laughing, so couldn't correct her. Then she said, again very loudly, "Isn't that plagerism(sp?)? J. K. Rowling should sue!"

Also, when I was reading the Silmarillion, my friend asked what I was reading, and I showed her the cover. She then spent about half an hour trying to pronounce it; "The Silmakilli...no wait, I can do this! The Simari..."

[Edited on 27/12/2005 by Anoria_Miriel]

[Edited on 14/4/2006 by Anoria_Miriel]
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2005 05:28
This is another one I have heard often, too. Kind of offence:

"Are Frodo and Sam gays?"

And I think you might have heard this in the theater while seeing ROTK:

"Is it finished yet now?"

[Edited on 11/9/2005 by Josephine_jfh]
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2005 10:59

Friend: Oh! Elrond's that elf?
Me: No, That elf's father is Elrond. Ok, remember when Frodo woke up in Rivendell, and there was an elf there?

Oh sure, Arwen looks like a male elf...I don't think Elrond would wear lipstick...But maybe purple dresses!
punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2005 05:12
The other day, my mom was getting really naggy, and I started talking in Elvish. (I mumble in a lot of languages, but this time was Elvish.) She heard me and said 'Nat, you know I hate it when you speak Spanish.' ;D
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2005 10:41
**Laughs** Wow, you're fluent in elvish?
nikkiethehobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 08:24
ok, there are a lot from me, i have a really daft family, and a couple of daft friends too, well here goes:

-why did gandalf come back?
-is gandalfs staff batery operated?
-why couldnt you just send the ring to that place where that wizard and that short guy go at the end?
-wormtail was in middle earth?!? Lord Voldemort wont be there!
-are merry and pippin twins?
-why is that girl elf running from thoes hooded guys?
-why cant no-one put the ring on?
-i thought wizards had brooms
-when is lord of the rings 4 comming out?

and a load more, you'll get bord of reading if i go on, either that or insulted but just one more...everyones favourite...

-whats with the ring
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 09:02
Well I have said some strange ones in my time but sometimes I get stuff like this...

Why is this movie so dark? (My uncle, no clue what he was on about!)

Why did that guy with the pointy hat fall down there? That was a bit stupid wasn't it.

How come she doesn't die? (referring to Arwen)
Me: Cos she is an elf, and they are immortal
Oh okay then....
Five minutes later.
So how come she looks dying there?

Why can't they just destroy the Ring now? Why do they have to go all the way to that volcano thing?

Oh and this was one from my friend who doesn't like LOTR as much as me but she has seen it.
Friend: You know when that guy falls off the cliff in Two Towers?
Me: Ummm what?
Friend: That guy...who is dragged along by that hyena...
Me: oooh you mean Aragorn and the Warg.
Friend: ummm yeah sure...well why is he alive in this film?
Me: Cos he survived the fall...
Friend: but then why didn't he wake up properly until that woman came?
Me: Arwen? well she wasn't really there, he was kinda just imagining it.
Friend: oh right....
Me: k
Friend: hey Emma?
Me: yeah?
Friend: who is Arwen again?

punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2005 05:44
**Laughs** Wow, you're fluent in elvish?
Not fluent, but I know a bit.

I heard a new one today, between my friend Steven and I:
S: You know, that blond chick is pretty hot.
M: Oh, Eowyn? Yeah, she's is pretty. I love that the female characters are [more than that] he cuts me off here
S: Eowyn? No, the one that went with the group.
M: pause Wait a minute. You mean... Legolas?!?

I swear, he used to be a cool guy. I had thought he was intelligent. But, in his defense, he never saw the movies or read the books, and he had seen a picture where Legolas did look a little... feminine. But still...
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 02:19
We had some free time during class, and I was on CoE, again. And then my friends says, "So you're on this Council thing again, are you?"
"Yep."
And then she says, "We'll, if she wants to get her counselling from some guy named Elrond, then so be it...!"

Lol and that had me in stitches.
Josephine_jfh
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 05:49
I heard a new one today, between my friend Steven and I:
S: You know, that blond chick is pretty hot.
M: Oh, Eowyn? Yeah, she's is pretty. I love that the female characters are [more than that] he cuts me off here
S: Eowyn? No, the one that went with the group.
M: pause Wait a minute. You mean... Legolas?!?

Hehehe... It reminds me of my embarrassing experience: Remember the scene of ROTK that Legolas stood in front of the hall on Edoras with his hood on, Aragorn walked near and then Legolas turned to told him, "The eye of enemy is moving..." At that close-up shot, I confused: Who is this Elf beauty? Arwen?

I think every Kiwi people has been asked such a question by the tourists:
"Hello, is here the location of LOTR?"
Whitewizard
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 09:45
My sister always askes,like clock work when the scene with elrond and isildur in mt doom or the scene with frodo and sam in mt doom"why don't he just push him in" :twitch:
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: September 17, 2005 11:37
Well, this just recently happened when my father saw LotR again in HBO:

Dad: Why do they have to destroy the ring and who are they?
Me: Because it might destroy Middle-Earth and they are Frodo and Sam...
Dad: Ohh... so they're the boys who climbed that walking three in the other movie?
Me: No, they're Merry and Pippin.
Dad: So who's Frodo and Sam.

:dizzy:
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email