Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Miss_Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: September 18, 2005 07:24
Me and my mum were actually watching Harry Potter, but this is basically what happened...

mum (seeing Dumbledore): Hey, isn't that pretty much Gandalf?
me: Not really...
mum (seeing dementors): Hey, aren't those pretty much Ring Wraiths?
me: Not really...
mum: Hey, I didn't know wizards used broom sticks to fly...
me: ...
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2005 11:42
My sister always askes,like clock work when the scene with elrond and isildur in mt doom or the scene with frodo and sam in mt doom"why don't he just push him in" :twitch:

OMG, that's kinda scary because at the part with Elrond and Isildur my sister and I always joke about how it'd be easier if Elrond "booted" him in!
LOTRluver43235
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 12:17
I've never been asked any stupid questions, but this one kid kept saying that Frodo was really "Froho the hobo" and he wanted to take the ring to a pawn shop and sell it for money. but the same kid was also convinced that watching south park to learn French was appropriate.

Edit: i just remebered when my family was watching FotR on time, my older brother once asked if Boromir and Aragorn we brothers. TTT hadn't been released yet, so i guess it was a legit. question.

[Edited on 20/9/2005 by LOTRluver43235]
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 01:27
I heard the question once "Harry Potter's quite similar to LotR isn't it... d'you think Tolkien's copying Rowling?"

:banghead:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I hate Harry Potter...and i know that it was Rowling that copied Tolkein. Again, GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!! :twitch:
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 01:37
No one in my family likes lotr, let alone knows whats going on.

One day, i was watching TTT:
My grandma: Are those trees? (having seen the ents)
Me:*twitch* no, their Ents.
My grandma:ANTS?!
Me: ENTS!! E-N-T-S!!!!
My grandma: They look like trees...
Me: trust me...their Ents..
My grandma: whats an ent?
Me: a sheperd of the forest.
My grandma: were?
Me: there! *points to t.v*
My grandma: you mean the trees?
me: :banghead:

And then i was watching Rotk, cying at the beautiful ending:
My aunt: so, why did he have to destrioy the ring?
Me:*through tears* Cause it was evil.
My aunt: so what happened to the Precious guy?
Me: gollum died.
My aunt: so why were the midgets crying?
Me: The HOBBITS were sad to see frodo leave!
My aunt :whats a 'hobsnot'?

I got tons....so many uninformed people.....:twitch:
punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 05:18
whats a 'hobsnot'?

Ok, I've heard some bad ones, but that is too funny! :twitch:

[Edited on 21/9/2005 by punk_angel]
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 11:21
Tehe. I liked the one with your grandmother.
LOTRluver43235
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 12:31
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I hate Harry Potter...and i know that it was Rowling that copied Tolkein. Again, GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Potter was NOT copied from LotR!!!!! Rowling has read Tolkien, but there are distinct differences. Frodo is an adult. Harry is a teenager. The trio doesn't directly represent any members of the Fellowship. There is no Tolkien equivulant to Quidditch or broomsticks. There are similarities, but only because they are the same genre, Fantasy. And am I right in saying that many of us here at CoE also belong to TU or the CoS Forums?

P.S. Maybe if you read it, you'd know

[Edited on 24/9/2005 by LOTRluver43235]
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 01:13
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I hate Harry Potter...and i know that it was Rowling that copied Tolkein. Again, GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Potter was NOT copied from LotR!!!!! Rowling has read Tolkien, but there are distinct differences. Frodo is an adult. Harry is a teenager. The trio doesn't directly represent any members of the Fellowship. There is no Tolkien equivulant to Quidditch or broomsticks. There are similarities, but only because they are the same genre, Fantasy. And am I right in saying that many of us here at CoE also belong to TU or the CoS Forums?

O.k, my list of blatantly copied Potter stuff:
1.) Wormtail is the servant of a dark lord...as is wormtongue.
2.)"he who must not be named" and the dwarves reffer to Sauron as "One who's name we fear to speak."
3.) Shelob and Aragog. both attack the two main characters.
4.) aragog and Aragorn
5.) Gandalf and Dumbledore
6.)gollum and Doby
7.)Elves and Veela
Now, it would seem that Tolkien copied Rowling...too bad LotR was written years before that sorry excuse for an author was even born!!!! (I mean Rowling of course!). Point made, case closed.
ThunderPichu
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 02:35

2.)"he who must not be named" and the dwarves reffer to Sauron as "One who's name we fear to speak."
4.) aragog and Aragorn
6.)gollum and Doby
7.)Elves and Veela
Now, it would seem that Tolkien copied Rowling...too bad LotR was written years before that sorry excuse for an author was even born!!!! (I mean Rowling of course!). Point made, case closed.

A bit off topic, but I find that strange. Why do you dislike HP so much? And why, if you don't, take it out on J.K. Rowling?
And I'm sorry if this sounds insulting, because it isn't meant to be, but you compare Gollum with Dobby, Aragog and Aragorn, and Elves and Veela? *surprised and confused*

On topic, I remember telling one of my friends about the Silmarillion and having to explain to difference between Dior and Earendil, Valinor and Middle-earth, and Morgoth and Feanor... * chuckles fondly*
One of my least favorite questions is 'isnt Orlando Bloom/Leglass/Argorn/Frodo hott?!?!?!?11' *facepalm, headdesk*
My answer to all except Frodo is 'no', and to Frodo 'he has blue eyes'. I'm shallow, aren't I?
Cloveress
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 06:57
OK, this one is just absurd.

Friend(walking in on me watching the Rivendell scene in FOTR): Is this Romeo and Juliet?

Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 09:52
Friend(walking in on me watching the Rivendell scene in FOTR): Is this Romeo and Juliet?
LOL, that was funny!:evil: But it's kinda sweet.
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 12:27

4.) aragog and Aragorn
6.)gollum and Doby
7.)Elves and Veela

A bit off topic, but I find that strange. Why do you dislike HP so much? And why, if you don't, take it out on J.K. Rowling?
And I'm sorry if this sounds insulting, because it isn't meant to be, but you compare Gollum with Dobby, Aragog and Aragorn, and Elves and Veela? *surprised and confused*

On topic, I remember telling one of my friends about the Silmarillion and having to explain to difference between Dior and Earendil, Valinor and Middle-earth, and Morgoth and Feanor... * chuckles fondly*
One of my least favorite questions is 'isnt Orlando Bloom/Leglass/Argorn/Frodo hott?!?!?!?11' *facepalm, headdesk*
My answer to all except Frodo is 'no', and to Frodo 'he has blue eyes'. I'm shallow, aren't I?

Quote upon quote. *sigh* First of all...i know its off topic, secondly, i'm not taking it out on Rowling...i dont like Harry Potter and feel alot of her stuff was copied. Or at least heavily influenced. I know if you really liked something you read, you subconcously start to make your writing a lot like it. But i feel with the name similarities and so many others....its more than just coincidence. Thank you for being polite, though Thunderpichu.
LOTRluver43235
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 02:36

Quote upon quote. *sigh* First of all...i know its off topic, secondly, i'm not taking it out on Rowling...i dont like Harry Potter and feel alot of her stuff was copied. Or at least heavily influenced. I know if you really liked something you read, you subconcously start to make your writing a lot like it. But i feel with the name similarities and so many others....its more than just coincidence. Thank you for being polite, though Thunderpichu.

when is anything not a coincidence? Can I just ask that we all lay off on JKR??? she's an amazing writer and so is Tolkien. can't we just be happy that children are reading instead of watching reality TV? geez. we sound like the H/Hr, R/Hr shipping wars. apology to the mods for being off topic!!!!
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 09:05
Point well taken, LOTRluver43235. Apologies....talent is talent, and any kid who would rather read than watch Spongebob should not be critizised for choice of book...sorry, off topic.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 11:22
Hey! I like Spongebob!
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 12:40
I'm not saying Spongebob is bad...my room is full of Spongyness...but what i'm saying is kids spend way too mauch time watching t.v or on ther internet. *guilty look* and i was trying to say that when a kid actually would rather read then watch any t.v, they should not be picked on for choice of book, Tolkien or Rowling. Maybe we should just have another post entirely for this disscussion 'cause i'm sure were making the mods mad being so off topic...but Spongbob is good...
Eressëa
Melkor's Apprentice
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 10:36
LOL Would you perhaps try and stay on topic Especially as you will not accidentally bash various authors and television shows etc. Remember, discussion on thing unrelated to Tolkien belongs to The Palantír and The Prancing Pony

Thanks
LOTRluver43235
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2005 10:44
apologies, Eressëa. it just bugs me when people bash Harry Potter. I pretty much answered this thread in my first post, so there's really nothing else to say.
Frodo_MinasTirith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 04:56
I was talking with my aunt and Lotr came up. She asked, "So did that elf girl ever give up her immortality?

And when I was watching The Fellowship of the Ring with my dad he said, "What's he (Gandalf) looking for? He's bad right?
"No, he's one of the good guys."
"Oh.."

And when I was watching TTT with my dad and he says, "So what's with the talking trees?"
"They're ents."
"They're trees."
:rolleyes:...

Then later on when Smeagol is telling Gollum to go away my dad said sounding surprised and confused, "There's two of them?"

I was watching Rotk with my sister and it was at the part where Gandalf has just walked up and said, "Hail Denethor son of Ecthelion." Then at the end of that scene my sister goes, "Who's Denethor?"

I was playing Lord of the Rings trivial pursuit at my best friends house with her and her family. One of the questions was somewhere along the lines of, Who is Eowyn's father? My friends mother confidently responded, "Faramir!" My friend and I were both literally rolling with laughter.

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 10:35
My friend and I were sitting on a school bus and talking about the LoTR movies:

Friend: I think that Frodo should have died like he did in the books, don't you?

Me: You haven't read the books, have you?
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 12:46
Heehee, breca.

Me: "have you heard of lord of the rings before?"
my friend: "what's that!?"

One time my mom's friend said fotR was the stupidest movie she ever saw. Imagine my shock.
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: October 01, 2005 05:54
No one in my family knows much about LOTR, except for the fact that I'm obssessed with it. And my friends too, sometime back, they're better now. Some are even as obsessed as I am

So I finally forced my friend to watch LOTR with me. We finished FOTR, and went on to TTT. And the part where Gandalf comes to Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli in Fangorn Forest arrives. My friend thinks he's dead, so I'm waiting for her reaction. Well, there was no reaction. So I asked:
"You do know who that is?"
Friend: "Yeah, he's that bad guy who beat up Gandalf, right?"
Me: "Saruman? No, he's Gandalf!"
Friend: "Oh, well he looks like Saruman, anyway."
Me: "That's 'cos they're both wizards."
Friend: "Oh... what's a wizard?"

My sis and I were talking, and Elrond came up.
Sis: Oh, where's that?
Me: Where's what?
Sis: Elrond. It's a place isn't it?
Me: ...

And so many of my friends get confused between 'Frodo and Sam' and 'Merry and Pippin'.
When there's a Frodo and Sam scene, they'll ask, "How did Merry and Pippin get here?"

Another one of my friends, while watching the part where Frodo and Sam are tired and walking to Mordor, asked me,"Why don't they just drive?"

I know there's more, I'll tell you when I remember.

[Edited on 2/10/2005 by SeenZ]
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 08:28
" 'why dont they just drive'?" Yeah, Seenz's friend, just give frodo a minute, he'll grab his car keys, he and sam will hop into frodo's funky little Miata, and they'll be on their way to Mordor. Thats the reason the journey was so troubling.......have you SEEN the gas prices?! Phta! I've had people say stuff like:
"Why dont they fly on the eagles?"
"Why does half-dead frodo have so much energy all a sudden?" (after watching the mount doom scene were gollum attaks them outside the doorway)
"Do Aragorn and the blonde elf chick like each other?"
"Dang! Why are those guys so short?" (hobbits)
and....i'm not kidding
"Why dont they mail the ring to someone in Mordor and have THEM throw it in...i mean, the fire doomy thingy cant be too far from anyone in Mordor right?" *shudder*
frodoismyprecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 01:31
These are definatly the stupidest LotR questions I've been asked
Sister:Whoes that pretty girl?
Me: Legolas
Sister:Oh I thought it was Pippin.

Grandma: Elvish? dosn't that have something to do with Elvis?
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 12, 2005 10:38
I have friends who are new "Converts" to LOTR...Thankfully they haven't asked any silly questions yet. Unfortunatley they've never seen the EEs! :cry:
LarienElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 12:57
I hate it when people ask me stupid questions but at the same time it makes me feel really intelligent. Why can't the whole world know as much as we do about LOTR?!

Anyway one of my friends asked me just today "What was Gimli's uncle's name from the first movie?" I looked at her, confused for a few seconds thinking "Gimli had a uncle? How could I have missed that?" Then it hit me, she was talking about Frodo. " You mean Frodo? His uncle's name was Bilbo They are hobbits, not dwarves. How could you get the two confused?" I asked, to which she replied " Yeah Frodo, that the one! Anyway you call short people dwarves in real life, so hobbits & dwarves are pretty much the same."
Silence followed before I launched in to a long lecture about the OBVIOUS differences about hobbits & dwarves.

The ignorant people must be informed!
LarienElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 01:20
The good thing is that whenever anyone has a question about LOTR they come to me. Sometimes I cannot help but give a long lecture, but it saves getting alot of stupid questions if I dumb it down as much as possible.

It seems that alot of you have managed to get their families to watch LOTR. My father took my two younger brothers & I to see the films when they first came out. My brothers went through a stage where they loved it but now that is yesterdays news. My father was never really into it in the first place & back then I thought any one who attempted to read any of Tolkien's works was either crazy or very brave But my mother simply refuses to watch them because to her they are these big long boring movie with too much information & back stories to take in. Although I used to ask her every day to watch them, I am still holding her to that promise she made just to shut me up.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 11:02

Then it hit me, she was talking about Frodo. " You mean Frodo? His uncle's name was Bilbo They are hobbits, not dwarves. How could you get the two confused?"

:twitch: Oh sure, Gimli and Frodo! Can't you see the family resemblance? **Cracks up**

LarienElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 07:35
**Laughs** Wow, you're fluent in elvish?
Not fluent, but I know a bit.

I heard a new one today, between my friend Steven and I:
S: You know, that blond chick is pretty hot.
M: Oh, Eowyn? Yeah, she's is pretty. I love that the female characters are [more than that] he cuts me off here
S: Eowyn? No, the one that went with the group.
M: pause Wait a minute. You mean... Legolas?!?

I swear, he used to be a cool guy. I had thought he was intelligent. But, in his defense, he never saw the movies or read the books, and he had seen a picture where Legolas did look a little... feminine. But still...

EEW! But he could have also been reffering to Galadriel when he said " the blonde chick".
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2005 11:01
Well, Galadriel didn't go "with the group"...Yikes, that guy is freaky. :nono:
Beloved_Star
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 04:08
my mom and sister thinks lotr is really stupid. mom refuses to watch it. my sister always says- why don't they just get a hellicopter, fly over the volcano and drop the ring in, or fly on the eagles and do the same thing. i'm like, if they used a hellicopter(which they don't even have) threre wouldn't even be a movie or it would be very short! she says duh, thats the point. i mean, come on! lotr is the greatest movie in the world. i don't know how i ever lived w/out it.
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2005 05:15
Yeah..............
My mom really doesnt like LotR either. i took her to see the third movie and all she did was sit around in the theater and complain about how long it was and how she needed a cigarrette.....*sigh*

I have a new one:
Today in drama, i was talking to my friend and i have been obsessed with lotr since i met her, and i was talking about the third movie and she said: "You mean theres another one?"
i just looked at her. she said "Another lotr movie." i shook my head and told her there were only three and that 'the hobbit' might be a movie soon. she said "You mentioned a fourth....RotK. I know the other three. Fellowship of the ring, the two towers and the prisoner of azkaban." i just stared at her.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 11:15
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: Ooook...
punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 11:42
Wow... just, wow. :twitch: