Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First3031323334Last >>
Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Olvar!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
Hello Olvar, welcome to CoE! Perhaps you can tell our members a little bit more about yourself? Makes it easier to get to know each other . For some inspiration, you can have a look at the first post of this thread.
Enjoy your membership!
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
ccgaylord
Council Member
Send Message
Hello
Name: c.c. gaylord (pen name)
How I found CoE: a friend told me I needed to get on this site, so here I am.
Hobbies/interests: world history; brit. lit.; collecting old books; writing; see bio for more...
Seen the movies: Yes. I watched the Fellowship of the Ring a year after it first came out but wasn't too impressed. I watched the entire trilogy last year...and was hooked. I think RotK was what did it for me.
Looking forward to meeting everybody.
Image "Only the heart knows how to find what is precious." -Dostoevski
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello c.c. gaylord, welcome to CoE.
You should never do what friends tell you, only what you think is best yourself . But in this case you can congratulate them, because they introduced you to one of the best LotR / Hobbit / Tolkien fan sites in the world! Don't take my word for it, just browse around the vast lands of Middle-Earth our site.
Enjoy your membership and don't hesitate to ask any questions should they arise.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcolme ccgaylord!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Ovar and C.C. Gaylord!
"Sundown: 'Sexy, right?' Abby: 'Oh yeah, baby. You're so hot right now, if I was a chicken I'd lay hard-boiled eggs.'" ― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Retribution
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Olvar and ccgaylord! Great to have y'all here with us!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Gandalfs_Pipe
Council Member
Send Message
Hey everybody!
Name: Yes i am indeed Gandalf's pipe.

I found CoE just by searching how to learn Elvish for begginers! I'm looking forward to learning Sinadrin and to meet and get to know all of the lovely people here!

I read The Hobbit a few years ago and my interest in Middle Earth was sparked again by the movies. I also tried to realy the LotR books when I was in primary school but I guess I didn't quite have the patience for it yet.

A few hobbies that interest me would be computer programming, WWII history, and playing lacrosse.

Hope that I'll be able to chat with some of the nice people here!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Pipe (May I call you that?)
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Gandalf's Pipe! It's nice to have you here.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello and welcome Gandalfs_Pipe. I could have sworn I left you a reply yesterday, but it seems to have vanished!
Either way, you've come to the right place to learn Sindarin. Our Elvish forum is teaming with goblins elvish students, so dive right in!
The name of the wind
Council Member
Send Message
I knew the name of the wind and he carried me all the way here to keep me safe and meet new people so I will say Hello to one and all. I am new to this site and looking to increase my lore of middle earth and make new friends along the way.
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello The_name_of_the_wind, welcome to CoE. For Tolkien goodness you've come to the right place. Grab a pint and settle yourself in at our lovely inn .
Sundown
Council Member
Send Message
Howdy Gandalf's Pipe! I am a computer programmer(by day - mostly websites; but I dabble in a lot of other types as well) so, I would welcome that chat!

Name Of The Wind, welcome to CoE!
"Sundown: 'Sexy, right?' Abby: 'Oh yeah, baby. You're so hot right now, if I was a chicken I'd lay hard-boiled eggs.'" ― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Retribution
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Hello and Welcome to everyone! Nice to meet you all, and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome everyone!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings Name of the Wind!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome The name of the wind! Great to have you here with us.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome everyone to CoE.
Jebus
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone!
I just found the site today in my journey to a better understanding of the Elvish language and everything else Middle Earth has to offer.

- Jebus
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome to CoE Jebus!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello Jebus, welcome to CoE. Enjoy your membership!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Jebus! So glad to have you here with us!
kittkatt0601
Council Member
Send Message
Post Hello!
on: November 02, 2014 07:26
I am a 13 year old girl, and I am trying to learn Sindarin. I thought that I may as well get an account while I am doing this. I have read The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring, but I still have to read The Two Towers and The Return of the King, so no spoilers please!
Cranberry
Council Member
Send Message
Hi guys!
I guess I'll just do the standard form

Name Cranberry (now guess which berry/fruit I like best )
Age 16
Gender Male
Where are you from (country/state)? Austria (not Australia! )
How did you find CoE? I was browsing the web trying to find resources to get familiar with (learn is probably a stretch) with the Elvish tongues, Sindarin in particular. Well, I guess it's probably inevitable not to end up here then. When trying to do the forts exercises, I saw one kind of "had" to register here, so I figured out I would just do that.
What are your hobbies and interests? Well, guess what, I like LOTR No, I'm quite interested in the fantasy area and reading in general; am however quite interested in politics and history; languages and am not the worst tennis player.
Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Yes I did! Plus the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales; all of which in German though.
Do you have any questions about finding your way around CoE? I'm fine at the moment, thanks.

Well then guys, that's me. Hi, again
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, everyone!! I hope you all have a fantastic time here!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Cranberry said:Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Yes I did! Plus the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales; all of which in German though.

Hi Cranberry, welcome to CoE, a great place to be. I also started out with LoTR in German back in 1983 (after having seen the Ralph Bakshi movie), but progressed to the English version quickly (I did grow up bilingual, so that was and is no problem for me).
To really capture the magic of JRRT's writing, I definitely suggest reading the originals, if possible (as it seem very much to be).
The last time I read something in German first and then (practically starting the second directly after finishing the first) English second was "Die Kinder Húrins" / "The Children Of Húrin." As this is Silmarillion stuff, I noticed the difficulty in translating especially the more archaic language found here into German.
JRRT was one of the great masters of the English language from its Anglo-Saxon beginnings (Beowulf etc.) to his death. There are subtleties in his writing that are at times untranslatable into any language, so the original alone gives full satisfaction, nach meiner Meinung.
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Cranberry and KittKatt! I hope y'all have a wonderful time here with all of us LotR fans.
Cranberry
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:
Cranberry said:Have you read the 'Lord of the Rings' & 'The Hobbit' and/or seen the movies? Yes I did! Plus the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales; all of which in German though.

Hi Cranberry, welcome to CoE, a great place to be. I also started out with LoTR in German back in 1983 (after having seen the Ralph Bakshi movie), but progressed to the English version quickly (I did grow up bilingual, so that was and is no problem for me).
To really capture the magic of JRRT's writing, I definitely suggest reading the originals, if possible (as it seem very much to be).
The last time I read something in German first and then (practically starting the second directly after finishing the first) English second was "Die Kinder Húrins" / "The Children Of Húrin." As this is Silmarillion stuff, I noticed the difficulty in translating especially the more archaic language found here into German.
JRRT was one of the great masters of the English language from its Anglo-Saxon beginnings (Beowulf etc.) to his death. There are subtleties in his writing that are at times untranslatable into any language, so the original alone gives full satisfaction, nach meiner Meinung.

Okay, thank you. I mean, I very much liked it in the German version, but I was quite unlucky with a few formulations which I thought couldn't be what Tolkien wrote, Sam calling Frodo "Chef" for example. But I'll probably give the English version a try

[Edited on 11/03/2014 by Cranberry]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Welcolme KittKatt & Cranberry! Enjoy your memberships!
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Hello kittkatt0601 and Cranberry, welcome to CoE .

Good luck with the elvish lessons kittkatt, you'll find many fellow students in the elvish forums.
Same to you Cranberry, you've come to the right place for learning Sindarin! And I agree with Gandolorin, the original version is a must-read if you want to truly capture everything.

Enjoy!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Cranberry said:... but I was quite unlucky with a few formulations which I thought couldn't be what Tolkien wrote, Sam calling Frodo "Chef" for example...

That sounds like you have the new translation by Wolfgang Krege from the year 2000. I have the older translation (bought it for my wife) by Margaret Carroux, from 1969/70. From what I've heard, Krege "modernized" some parts Image, and as you write 'calling Frodo "Chef" for example' was severely criticized. Seems a mix of the two versions done by a dual native speaker would give you the best translation.
Cranberry
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:
That sounds like you have the new translation by Wolfgang Krege from the year 2000. I have the older translation (bought it for my wife) by Margaret Carroux, from 1969/70. From what I've heard, Krege "modernized" some parts, and as you write 'calling Frodo "Chef" for example' was severely criticized. Seems a mix of the two versions done by a dual native speaker would give you the best translation.

Yes I do, when I bought the book I was of course not familiar enough to know that there are two translations, and even now that I know it, I rarely see a Carroux-Translation in a bookshop or wherever. The main bad thing that bugs me about the Krege-Translations, probably because I don't know the Carroux and therefore can't really compare the two, is that they published the Appendixes as a sepereate book, forcing you to pay for a total of four books, when they just easily could have added them to the third book. But yeah, I guess there are more terrible things in life

[Edited on 11/05/2014 by gondolinian]
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator

Send Message
Guys,

Very interesting discussion, but for discussions about the books, I suggest you move to the books forum . That avoids cluttering the introduction thread with off-topic talk.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Gando stands rightly corrected by Gondo.
<< First3031323334Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email