Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First910111213Last >>
Author Topic:
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Oh yes, happy 239th return of that historical day to all of you!

We are currently experiencing a heat wave of (nerarly?) historical temperatures in Germany. It was around 36°C / 97°F in our greater Nuremberg area today. Just to put that into perspective, the highest official temparures ever recorded in Germany were just over 40°c / 104°F, both in the last 40 years (2003 was certainly one of those years). And it may get hotter tomorrow.

It is currently past 10:30 PM here, and we still have around 28°C / 82°F. I will probably be around here for the odd hour, because going to sleep with such heat is not something we are accustomed to.

Wishful thinking: Image
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hyserical temperature here too, highest ever at 37C (can't do that superscript thing). Decided to lie down a lot. Then a crazy continuous thunderstorm passing by way over the Pennines. Very flashy and noisy. Cooler now and lots of rain. Other than that life much the same although I've started helping out the local environment group turning waste ground into wildlife areas for the kids. My arms ache. Also started looking to get a camper van (RV), and go around this blessed realm. Not until autumn though, they'll be cheaper.

Bad scene with the fires down the west coast over the pond there. We only got to hear about it because of the football World cup in Vancouver. (USA 5-2 win over Japan, yay!!) but then there's been worse things going down in the south. Hopefully some good will come of both.

Keep it real peeps.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Had a mediocre 4th but made the best of it. I did see a great parade and fireworks display. My husband is not one for holidays. So saw the fireworks by myself. It was beautiful and fun to watch so that made up for some of the day.
It has been crazy weather here cool and then hot rainy for an hour then the sun comes out and the cycle continues.
USA has had so many shark attacks this year. I don't like to swim in the ocean so I would not have to worry but the attacks have been in shallow water.
I am going to go visit my daughter today. I will be gone a week. Have a great week everyone.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
The fires situation locally has gone from bad to worse .... Currently there are four fires in the vicinity and a huge fire on the mainland that produced a significant haze for several days until the wind changed direction. It caused a number of health problems for people with asthma and COPD. I ended up with a migraine that laid me low for two days (something I haven't had in a number of years). I can't see it improving much in the near future.

So far we've manage to avoid a total water ban but it may be coming sooner rather than later. My lawn is a lovely "blond" right now which nicely removes the necessity of having to mow it.

Fortunately, we don't have a shark problem here as we're on a strait, although we do have many orca pods swimming around. They are fond of the sea lions but leave swimmers and such alone. Mind you they've been known to check out the odd boat or two. We have a nice beach locally but I'm not really that fond of swimming (unless it's necessary) so I only go there when the neighbour's walk their dog on the beach.

Have an awesome visit with your daughter, awelyn. And the rest of you have a wonder back end of the week.

BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Oh dear, ES, not sounding good at all. I'm so sorry to hear about the fires AND your migraines. As a fellow sufferer, I concur that often environmental problems can trigger them. I haven't had a lawn for a very long time. The only time the grass grows is when it rains, which as you have noted, is not often. Though I live relatively near the ocean, it's been literally years since I went to the beach - partly because of crowding and partly because I can't afford to be out in the sun much. Swimming is iffy with me because I can't get my head under the water.

I'm just glad it's Thursday. I have Monday off. So looking forward to retiring in January 2017, though I wish I could have this past one. Ah well. Gives me time to get things in place before my income shrinks. Take care all and be safe, ES.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
BelleBayard said:... So looking forward to retiring in January 2017, ...

I will be following you into (in my case early) retirement on 01 May 2017. That is when I end my active phase with my company. Final retirement will then be on 01 March 2019. Nominally, it is a working part-time thing, but very few people actually do part-time for the entire duration. And in the current scheme, the only option (which I prefer anyway) is full-time for half of the duration, and no-time for the second half.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Mine's full retirement from the VA, but that doesn't mean I won't do anything work-wise, just not for the VA and not as a nurse. I'm over it... Done and finished. Burned to a proverbial crisp. >.<
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Speaking of crisp ...... we finally have some rain which is supposed to last through the weekend followed by slight lower than seasonal temperatures. I don't think there will be too much rain, but the cooler weather will certainly help the forest service. Looking at the news last night, forest firefighters have been brought in from as far away as Mexico and Ontario to give assistance.

It's amazing what a little cooler weather and as smidgeon of rain will do. The birds are positively ecstatic .... as are the cats

It's a very lovely change. I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings to all. I hope you are enjoying good summer weather.

ES - my thoughts are with you and all the folk in BC, as well as Saskatchewan. Fire on such a scale is a scary force of Nature. I feel for all the people displaced and dispossessed by the blazes. Wishing strength and courage and safety to all those who are exhausted from fighting them day and night. A bit of rain must be a welcome relief. If I could send a good soaking for a few days, I would do it !

Gandolorin and Belle - congratulations on your approaching respective retirements. I know they are a little way off yet, but savour the anticipation. I can tell you that I am loving semi-retirement and truly enjoying a slower pace of life. Consequently I am far less stressed !

May was spent preparing the yard and house for the big party celebrating our youngest son's graduation from medical school I can hardly believe that "our baby" is now a physician. He has moved to Winnipeg (8 hrs West of here) and bought a house. He will be there for 5 years studying ear-nose-throat surgery.

In June we had a marvelous trip to visit Bob's brother and family near Bergen, Norway. We spent a week with family as well as a few days on Oslo and Stockholm. Saw many Viking displays and real Norse runes. Europeans sure know how to travel in style - the ferries are uber-comfortable with little kiosks where you can buy beverages and snacks. The airport washrooms in Helsinki were panelled in a lightly stained wood and had bird song playing gently in the background ! We walked through houses that dated back to the Hanseatic League and toured fortresses in Oslo and Bergen from the 12th century. We both just love walking through history like that. Fjords and mountains, as well as an unexpected concert on the Hardanger Fiddle, rounded out our wonderful trip. Now we are home and glad to be here.

Wishing you all well.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Send Message
Oooh... that sounds lovely, Neenime! I have always wanted to travel in Europe, but doesn't appear that will happen in this lifetime. Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, Serbia - lands of my forebearers. Ah well, such is the way it goes. I'm lucky to travel back and forth to Colorado to visit my daughter and then it's a rush with no stopping to enjoy the scenery. I hope that changes a bit once we don't have such a timeline to follow. Take care all!
awelyn418
Send Message
Had a great visit brought two of my grandsons home with me.We are having very high temperatures this week. A heat index warning every day this week. We have been swimming almost everyday in our above ground pool.I am trying to keep them interested and having fun.
Es sorry about your dry weather . I hope you get some rain soon that will be enough to help. I also hope the fires stop .
Belle I know you are looking forward to your retirement to your dream home in Colorado.
Gandolorin I wish you a grand retirement too.
Neenime I saw your photos on Facebook wonderful vacation.
Have a great week.

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Just watched the video of Sir Christopher Lee that's posted on the Home page. Such a marvelous voice and he was obviously a character. It seems he and Peter Jackson loved to tell stories, so it was hard for the floor director to keep things moving.

We'll miss him.

How's everyone today ?

Awelyn - still having a heat wave ? I'll bet your grandsons are happy for that pool. Hubby and the dog and I went for a walk at the marina on Sunday when it was hot and stuffy at our place. The temperature difference can be 5*C or more, compared to our place which is about 15 km inland.

Belle One of the things I appreciate about retirement is the option to be "semi-retired". I still love what I do, but now I decide how much and how often and with whom. It gives me more time to spend with family, to read and to putter in my garden. I wish you and Gandolorin the same freedom.

Tolkien's new book - anyone know whether it's out yet ?
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Send Message
Haven't heard yet, Neenime. Will do some research as to when it's expected.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hi all. Just checked and the new book is out in late August.

Was reading the latest edition of Amon Hen, from the Tolkien Society. There's a book by linguist Mark T Hooker that looks at various aspects of Tolkien's writings. He looks at word meanings and the languages they might have dervied from in our world. Another discussion was about Bilbo's ancestor named Mungo. The patron saint of Glasgow is also named Mungo and one of his miracles involved retrieving a ring from the mouth of a fish. Well, well, well.

In another article in Amon Hen, there is mention of several scholarly articles in the peer-reviewed Journal of Interdisciplinary Science Topics by students at U of Leicester. They calculated the BodyMass Ratio of various races in Middle Earth and how much lembas the Fellowship would have had to take to survive their trek.

Fascinating ! Tolkien's spirit continues to enchant us !
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime said:Hi all. Just checked and the new book is out in late August.

Was reading the latest edition of Amon Hen, from the Tolkien Society...

Neenime, what is the title of the new book? I have not heard the slightest whisper of such a thing here in Germany!

And as to Amon Hen, do you mean 253? It's the May 2015 issue and the last one I have received. But then we have had a postal strike here, my National Geographic Germany July issue also only arrived recently, while it normally arrives a month "early" (yes, some of our magazine publishers have adopted that brain-dead US idiocy).
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all

While everybody is talking about heat wave here after a super thunderstorm,because here too it was suffocating,we had a nice change of air,cool, dry, sunny just what it takes to work outside or walk in the woods.We had about 40 to 50 ml.of rain that was a lot.I wish I could have send some to you!Unfortunately it will not last we will have a grey week end

NEENIME,I wish I could see Europe but it will not be on this life time I'm afraid.Your trip sounded lovely,many things to discover and see and memories to bring back.I'm very curious too to know the title of this book!

AWELYN,it's always nice to have a pool and splash in it when it's so very warm!And yourself,how are you my dear
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
The title of the book is ''The story of Kullervo'' and will be released on august 27th.Go to the Tolkien Society and it's all there and will tell you what is the story about.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Dimple. À propos of a post in a different thread, I suddenly had a sneaking feeling that I had read something along those lines right here on CoE. And sure enough, under "Home", it is the third post from the top. Image

It HAS been hot here the last couple of days ... wish, wish, wish Image
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We've finally had cooler weather following two days of rain last week. It has helped the forest fire situation and boosted the plants in the garden. We're not on full rationing (yet) other than the usual summer stuff: no watering lawns, washing cars, etc. I water on even days which is plenty for my boxes. My neighbours who have vegetable gardens also have wells so they're okay.

*sigh* I'm going to have to buy a car. The old girl (a 1997 Dodge Caravan) is starting to give up the ghost. Fortunately, I will receive a small bequest from my late Uncle which will cover the cost of a new one, i.e. something around 2010-2012. I'm looking for a small SUV; likely a Ford Escape. Any suggestions from anybody?

Have a great weekend!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Neenime, I currently have a 2012 Subaru Forrester that replaced my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe. I needed the AWD and I'm finding shifting difficult with my arthritis. Fairly decent gas mileage as well as nice handling. I've heard Escape's are decent, too. I test drove more than one type before deciding and would recommend that as well. Find what fits you best.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all.

Gandolorin Yes, as Dimple said, the book is Story of Kullervo (which is a Finnish legend). Here is a link to the article at the TOLKIEN SOCIETY

I signed up for the on-line membership this year. Last time I was a member, the paper publications took almost 2 months to arrive and I found that not very satisfying. Now I get a link and can read things in a more timely way. The society and I both save money, save paper and both benefit. BTW - their membership is now just over 1,000 worldwide !

Re: vehicles : my friend has a Honda CRV which has AWD. She loves it. We had a Honda RDX, which was great when my husband had to drive long distances in winter, but the turbo was a gas hog. Honda products are generally very reliable.

Hobbit music I was listening to the BOTFA soundtrack today. Absolutely loved Ironfoot, from the Extended Edition. I must not have heard the whole album before, because I would have noticed this song. Sounds very Celtic (particularly Scottish) and is quite stirring. Then I sang along with Billy Boyd's The Last Goodbye. Ahhhh, so bittersweet. Here it is .

[Edited on 07/19/2015 by Neenime]
awelyn418
Send Message
ES I have a Ford Escape and I love it. I am glad your weather is cooler. I think of you when I watch a show on television called Alone. They drop 9 people in an area with 10 things for survival. You can bring some things from home. No guns though. It was on a island somewhere in British Columbia.
Dimple I am fine. A little older and I am not as spry but I keep busy and active. I love the swimming and it helps my joints.I am glad you have had cooler temps. Sorry about all the rain. Sindy lives in Ohio and they have had so much rain this year as some of my friends in Kentucky have experienced flooding.
Gandolorin snail mail can be so frustrating. Neenime I am glad you are enjoying retirement . Hi Belle and I hope you are having a good week.
I am going to get my oldest grandchildren to stay with me for 5 days. They are so much fun. Boy and girl 16 year old twins.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just a short comment in case I have caused confusion: I'm still a working stiff right now, non-work phase starts on 01 May 2017 ...
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME:The Last Goodbye,so moving...it brings back memories not only from the movies from the beginning but also memories of the people who shared and viewed the films with me
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple that song makes cry.
Gandolorin well I am sure you are looking forward to retirement.
We have had nice weather here. I plan on swimming with my grandchildren today. I just love talking with them and they both play acoustic guitar.I love listening to them play.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN:When my daughter lived with us I loved listening to her when playing piano,it was pleasant and relaxing.It's too bad I don't play,the piano still here but it is silenced.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone.I hope you've all had a good weekend.

We've just said goodbye to a visitor from Ukraine. He is my third cousin (I think) - my father's mother and his mother's mother were sisters. He's a lovely fellow who manages a feroalloy plant in the Georgian Republic for an American company, though his home is in Ivano-Frankivsk in western Ukraine. We showed him around the city, got reacquainted and sang a few old Ukrainian folk sons over a glass or three of brandy. Good times !

It's been hot here, but we've had enough rain that the well is in good shape. That's a blessing.

Awelyn - glad you're having time with your grandchildren. Family is so important.

Have a wonderful day !
BelleBayard
Send Message
Poking my head in. After that lovely rain, we're back to temps in the 90's, more like our usual baking summer. Have had to put the misters on the bunnies in our backyard every day and sit in the house in the AC.

Neenime, sounds like a lovely time! Glad he was able to visit.

awelyn, wish I was closer to my granddaughter. She's learning how to ride and care for horses now, something I passed down to my daughter and she seems to share it. Her father, who used to frequent CoE, also rode so it comes from both sides. I'll be glad to retire and be close to them.

Hope you all have a good week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
The day was so hot today it was insane,at supper time it was 100F we are not used to these temperature.Québec is special about weather it's always in the extreme,too hot,too cold,too windy,too humid.It's hard to have a ''normal''temperature.One year we had a really bad summer,it rained from spring to fall.people were so fed up they flew where the sunshine was like Cuba, Mexico,Florida,Côte d'Azur ect.One winter the snowfall was so bad we could'nt open the patio door the snow went from the bottom to the top of the door.Some say that Québec is the hole of the planet because of it's weather...they are not totally wrong.Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy and cooler,hopefully my little Felix will eat,he didn't today.Bulldogs mind very much the heat,I had to wash his face with a cold facecloth,he enjoyed it but refused his food anyway,I cross my finger that it is only the heat and not something else.

have a good evening
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Our drought is getting rather serious by our standards. This is the greater Nürnberg (Nuremberg) area, so northern Bavaria, but not on the northern borders.
All around us, some other regions of Germany have occasionally had too much rain (and hail), we would be satisfied with 10% or less of what they had. Even our last thunderstorm (storm?) did not last more than at most half an hour, rain-wise. I may be pessimistic, but my feeling is we did not have a single month in 2015 that reached long-term averages in precipitation, the tendency was rather to set records for lack of it. I can't remember the last time they mowed the "lawn" (rather a meadow) that we look on from our loggia (that's a balcony that's indented into the building and thus not visible from the side).
And we have had very many afternoons in the mid 80s to mid 90s F, even above, which may cause inhabitants of Arizona (?) to shrug, but this is hot for here (and next week could be a real blisterer, with each day above 95° F).
awelyn418
Send Message
Monday I was informed by a friend that her husband had passed away that day. He was 55. His name was Jef Murray and he was a well known artist with Tolkien themes and Narnia and fantasy. He was also a friend that I could talk to about anything. He could paint,sketch,sing and what a great teacher he was too. I have had such a hole in my heart since I read his wife's text. They did not have children but they shared such a great love. It was so obvious when you saw them together. I will miss him so much and he wife is devastated. It was sudden his death from a heart attack. Please pray for his wife Lorraine.Thursday is his visitation and Friday the funeral in Atlanta,Georgia. It is breaking my heart that I can't go to either/ He dressed as a blue wizard at our ALEP gatherings more than his occasional ranger. So in his memory and to say goodbye we are wearing blue.
Our weather has been hot but unlike some of you . We have had rain and now this week our temperatures are comfortable. It was raining today and my granddaughter Lily went to the French doors and started singing wain,wain go away come again anodher day. She loves running in our yard.
I hope all have a good week for weather,animals and you people.
BelleBayard
Send Message
So sorry for the unexpected loss. He will move on to the Undying Lands, where he can walk with Gandalf and the Fellowship as well as Elrond and his kin. So difficult for us left behind. Much sympathy to you and his wife. Lorraine was my mother's name. Definitely praying for her. Too young to be lost so soon. His talent and joy in life will be missed.
awelyn418
Send Message
Thank you Belle.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN: So sorry for the lost of your friend.it is so very young to die.We can remember him by loking at his artwork and how much he touch us all though his work.So hard for family and friends left behind.Sincere sympathy to you and his wife.

We finally had the chance to paint our front balcony today,it was at last sunny and no showers all day.Tomorrow if Mother Nature allowed we will do the other one.I cross my fingers for another nice day.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all.

What a sad thing to lose such a talented artist as Jef Murray. His vibrant use of colour made Middle Earth come alive. I was impressed by him as a speaker at a Tolkien conference I attended in 2006. He was clearly a man of faith, speaking about Catholic influences in Tolkien's writing. Sending blessings and comfort to all those touched by his loss.

Sorry for the bad weather that some of you have been having. It seems that all over the planet we now have more extreme weather. I strongly suspect that human pollution and other activity have played a large role in this. It pains me that so many politicians and powerful business interests still deny climate change and resist making changes to our use of fossil fuels. Minds like Saruman's, I guess.

By the way - just ran across this article on Facebook and thought some of you might enjoy it. Blue Wizards

[Edited on 08/09/2015 by Neenime]
<< First910111213Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email