Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Happy New Year everyone. Toast Tolkien on the 3rd,tomorrow for me. To the Professor!Belle get better.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Image ..... a toast in honour of the Professor's birthday.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Image Oh yes; and I choose his preferred beverage.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Cheers to The Professor. This brilliant little man has touched the lives of millions for several generations now. How fortunate we are that he put pen to paper !

Our NERDS group had a Hobbit-like feast, exchanged Dwarf-worthy comments as we watched An Unexpected Journey and toasted at Oxford-time (4 PM here in Thunder Bay) with a glass of cider.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/113588651988160/

How glad I am that I have met all of you because of The Professor and his wonderful woks. Cheers to all of you !
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Well, El Nino is alive and well here in California (at least Southern California). The past two days we have had flash flood warnings, thunder and lightning warnings, high wind warnings, and even TORNADO warnings near the coast. Lots of flooding. We seriously have no idea how to deal with this much rain. None, none, none... tons! *sigh* On top of that, migraine today and just now feeling like a human being. Happy New Year everyone... Wonder what the Professor would have thought of us here? Hehehe
awelyn418
Send Message
What a wonderful group we are and the 3rd is my husband's birthday too. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and I had a margarita. We came home and I was busy watching Downton Abby and went for wine at 9 pm but I was all out so toasted Tolkien with water unless you could consider the margarita at 5 a proper toast.
Belle I saw the flooding I am so sorry and Missouri has had flooding as well but we have flooding unlike your area.Your poor head.
I am so glad I know you all because of the Professor. You are a great group of people. Have a great week.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Oh Belle, that does sound terrible. Glad that you are safe. I hope that the bad weather passes soon.

Awelyn I hope you head is better today! A toast is a toast, say I. It's the gesture and its intention that matter.

My husband and I are in Southern Ontario (Hamilton) to celebrate Ukrainian Christmas with his side of the family. It's lovely to see them - great folks who are very devote to our heritage. Christmas Eve

This is Ola (sister-in-law), Jaroslav (Bohdan's brother), Olena (my mother-in-law) and I.

[Edited on 01/07/2016 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks for the well wishes. My head is better, but the weather is to continue crazy the rest of the week. We shall see. Heh...
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Enjoying time with family for Ukrainian Christmas, in Southern Ontario. Hubby and I also attended a workshop where we could take photos of various raptors (birds of prey) in captivity.

Here is my favourite - Frodo.Image

[Edited on 01/12/2016 by Neenime]

[Edited on 01/23/2016 by Neenime]
BelleBayard
Send Message
The image wouldn't come up for me, Neenime. Perhaps the person blocked the link on FB or took it down?
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Yes we are a very fine group and all because of this wonderful man.

BELLE; is the weather much better?I'm glad you're alright

I forgot all about the professor's birthday...well there is always next year.

Nice picture of your family NEENIME.

There is not much happening here except that it's snowing again...it's winter!

Have a good evening all
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I was like a child in a circus today.I went bookshopping and did I ever shop!!!!.For Christmas my husband gave me gift cards from different bookstores and it was only today that I was able to go.I bought 10 books some paperback and some hardcover and I really treat myself good.Often I buy books from Kobo and read from my reader but the feeling of buying real books is not just the same.For instance to see the cover, to smell the book and feel the paper bring me a great pleasure.Anyway that's the way I feel and I just wanted to tell you.I'm a bit childish in a way but it feels good

Have a nice evening...reading perhaps?
awelyn418
Send Message
those on Facebook know I have had something like food poisoning and I have really been ill. Now tonight I find out my eldest daughter who is 44 and is going through menopause is pregnant. She is now on the way to the hospital with high blood pressure and she is bleeding. The doctor said she is probably going to miscarry. I am very worried about her. Prayers and healing thoughts are appreciated.
Dimple wonderful adventure. I feel the same way about books and readers.
We had our first snow last night just a dusting about an inch with ice under that and more is forecasted tonight. We shall see. Have a great night.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Oh dear... So sorry to hear that, awelyn. I wonder if that was some of what was going on with her during Christmas. Wishing for the best outcome and sending lots of healing prayers and thoughts her way.

Sounds like fun, Dimple~

Cool weather - clouds this morning, hence a lovely sinus headache. Got better once the front moved on, but oh my... Still dry after all that rain earlier. Hope we get some more.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN: this is really not a good day for your daughter and you and I'm sorry to hear that.I'll be thinking about you and wishing for the best.Maybe you were not so far out during Christmas time when you said that perhaps she was going through her menopause and that she was acting strange.

BELLE: wish you all the rain you want.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Been watching the CNN reports on the coming snow storm. I hope everyone in its path stays safe and warm.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all.

Awelyn - prayers and hugs for you, your daughter, and your family.

For those of you in the snowstorm - be safe. Don't let Saruman hurt you ! Winter storms can be nasty, so I hpoe you've all been able to hunker down safely somewhere and have taken precautions for the essentials such as warmth, water, light and some
Tolkien to read.

Belle That's odd, that you couldn't see the image. I didn't block it or take it down. The other one, of my family is also from Facebook and it was visible to others. Hmmmm. Maybe a temporary problem on the FB site? Here it is again. Perhaps the site will cooperate today. Neenime and Frodo

We've been watching The Shannara Chronicles on TV. Not bad at all. It's been a long time since I read that book so I can't speak to how well they are following the story, but I must say that my family and I are enjoying it.

[Edited on 01/23/2016 by Neenime]
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes! That's one beautiful owl and lovely to see you, too!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Nice photo NEENIME lovely owl and also nice to see the face of the people we talk to
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I hope all the over 40 members of Scottish descent (and not) have the opportunity to enjoy one of the Robbie Burns celebrations that will be taking place tonight.

My most memorable experience included an exploding haggis. The wee critter was piped in with the usual pomp and ceremony, but was most unhappy about the ritual "killing" and decided to fight back.

I thought it a truly "Robbie Burns" moment.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
As I thought I remembered, and checked on Wikipedia, Haggis is something some Scots (Highlanders?) consider edible, which is why Wikipedia calls it a Scottish dish. The sentiment has yet to get anywhere near the geographical borders of Scotland. From what is described in Wikipedia (and other descriptions), between the Haggis and my tummy, it wouldn't be the Haggis fighting back and / or exploding (before you complain, E~S started on the topic of the Haggis, which never leads to a dainty discussion! Think "Alien" quadrilogy - perhaps, as I just realized, that brings us much closer to Haggis than any of us realize?)
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN:how is your daughter doing?
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all. I toasted Mr Burns but regretted that I hadn't baked the Ukrainian version of haggis ( in my mind). It is called Kyshka ( blood pudding sausage). It's a favourite at our house.

awelyn hoping your daughter is doing ok. How are you? This calls for all your strength and patience. Hugs for all of you.

I've been enjoying the latest edition of Mallorn. They had interesting articles about Galadriel's hair and about the literary device of having characters with parallel stories and "distorted mirrors". It's nice to get the publications by email now, rather than waiting over a month for international delivery.

On Facebook, I saw this item and wished I could attend.

http://www.tolkiensociety.org/events/stuart-lee-talk-tolkien-author-of-the-millennium/

[Edited on 01/30/2016 by Neenime]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
awelyn I do hope you're feeling better and that your daughter is okay.

The weather here has been very unsettled, although the temperatures have been seasonal. We have been receiving buckets of rain, thanks to several "Pineapple Express" weather systems coming in off the Pacific. My back yard is currently under water as it is unable to drain quickly enough thanks to the blue clay that underlies the topsoil.

Enough spring bulbs are popping through the soil to make me think that spring is just around the corner. I can't wait for it to arrive as I find this time of the year a total downer. I received my Vesey's catalogue so I'm looking for new plants to incorporate into my beds. I think I will get some blueberry bushes and possible a couple of red currant bushes to plant along the southern exposure of the house. I had a vegetable garden there but I gave it up because my neighbours have huge gardens and provide me with everything I need.

Anyway, have an awesome weekend, everybody!

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
ES. Oh my! The heralds of Spring already in BC! Mind you, I wouldn't like to have my back yard under water. We still have three feet of snow, though the last batch was lovely powdery stuff that was easy to shovel. I made trails for the dog with my snowshoes on Fruday instead of doing my usual Zumba exercises.

Our NERDS group has booked the hall for our annual Tolkien Fair. Since Reading Day falls on Good Friday, we elected to hold our event earlier, on March 20th. Looking forward to the displays and meeting new folk who love Tolkien.

I had a little excitement last week. After 24 hrs of persistent though very mild and localized chest discomfort I called a 24 medical advice line. The nurse wanted to call an ambulance for me, though I had no acute symptoms. I politely declined and asked my son the Nursing student to take me in. No indicators of heart attack or abnormalities in the tests. It's not worse on exertion, so not sure what's going on. The doc has referred me for Holter testing ( 24 hr monitoring of heart rate while I go about my daily activities ) and a stress test. I suspect it's structural - muscular or costochondriasis. My chiropractor said one rib was a bit out of alignment, which might explain the very focussed pressure.

I wasn't too worried and I am glad to get I checked out. I've had it before bu so briefly that it doesn't warrant a trip to Emerg and by the time I see my family doc about other things, I forget to mention it.

Oh the joys of aging !

Hoping you are all well. Hugs to all.

[Edited on 01/31/2016 by Neenime]
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime, please get yourself well checked out and treat the situation with utmost seriousness. You probably already know this, but heart attack symptoms in women are sometimes misdiagnosed. The horrible disease took my mother at age 48, my brother at 56, and has been trying to take me for years. Hopefully, it's nothing to do with your heart at all, and is something minor.
awelyn418
Send Message
Neenime I agree with Swabby and I had jaw bone pain last Thursday and I told my doctor Friday about she did an EKG in her office and I am fine ecept for having a herniated disk in my neck and a sinus infection. Yes, great joys of aging and I am under 5 ft now. I guess it's the Hobbit in me coming out . I had a scary thing Thursday my daughter miscarried and hemmoraged and she had no pulse two times blood pressure bottom out and she was in shock. Later after she was out of emergency surgery her husband told me how close she was to dying. I wept as I was sick on narcotics and could not have driven to her 3 hours away. I am looking forward to January being over and hoping February is better.
Swabby good to see you on here buddy.
Es your yard is going to be in full bloom before you know it.
Have a good week.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
awelyn - so sorry to hear about you're daughter's travails. I hope she recovers soon. It's really scary when a medical crisis occurs in the family and you can't be there for support so I'm not surprised you had a cry. Image

Since stress can cause a myriad of symptoms that mimic heart attack symptoms, it's always best to get a medical opinion: better to be safe than sorry.

It's amazing how much height women lose as they get older. Men do lose some height, but not so dramatically. It's seems the more petite you are, the more you lose. My paternal grandmother lost about 4 inches, and I take after her in terms of height and build. I'm taking Vitamin D and calcium to try and stave off the inevitable.

swabby - Nice to hear from you.

Have a great week!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Chest pain is no joke (had it in 2011 because of blood pressure) - the Holter will see if there are any arrhythmias of concern, but they should probably do a stress test as well to make sure no EKG changes with exercise. awelyn, so sorry to hear about your daughter's issues and yours as well. Ask your doctor once you feel better to do a bone density test on you (DEXA scan) to make sure you don't have osteoporosis. There are treatments for that and it's something everyone needs checked as you age as it can cause pathological fractures. I have it and so far I've not shrunk (yet). At this point, 2016 has NOT been pleasant. Hoping the rest of the year is better for everyone.
awelyn418
Send Message
Belle they did the test and I don't have osteoporosis. My daughter is slowly recovering and now her insurance say they are not going to pay for her surgery because she did not need it or the hospital stay over night. I am filled with rage. She needed it or she would have died. They have an insurance advocate at her husband's work and they are talking to him Monday. I swear I will go to my congressman and send letters to Oprah,Ellen ,Tv stations and social media. I know I am just one person but I believe even one person can mame a difference.
Neenime how are you?
Dimple and Es my croquis are up and blooming. It just the yellow so far but I have white and purple too.
Tomorrow my 6 month old grandson goes to daycare until I can heal. My daughter is taking a part time position and I will watch him with my husband for 5 hours a day. He takes a 2 hour nap so I think it will be ok . If not back to day care but I have not had to watch him but one time and my husband did the lifting and picking up. I just cuddle and sing and gave him kisses and hugs.
Have a great week.
awelyn418
Send Message
Gandolorin all most forget reply to your Haggis .You are to funny my friend.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Glad to hear that you don't have osteoporsis, awelyn, but good grief about your daughter's insurance. It may have been how the hospital coded the bill (insurance is such a pain). Definitely wouldn't let it go. That's just not right. So happy you're able to spend some time with your grandson. Take and hope things turn out.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
awelyn418 said:... My daughter is slowly recovering and now her insurance say they are not going to pay for her surgery because she did not need it or the hospital stay over night. I am filled with rage...

Not that our German health insurance system is perfect (it has gotten worse the more it has become americanized), but reading things such as you write also fills me with rage, awelyn. The US system it twice as expensive as comparable systems (Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain ...), so so much for private health insurance systems being more cost-effective. I have the very angry suspicion that the US system is so cost-ineffective because of the psychopathic mind-set to deny those insured of justified reimbursements. How to do this? Hire tons of lawyers to argue that the reimbursements are unjustified. If I am not entirely off the mark, the general opinion of lawyers in the US (or the Anglo-Saxon world) is approximately equivalent to that of used-car salesmen? Sorry if I seem a bit like Wolverine, but the current Presidential Primaries just leave me aghast ... Image
BelleBayard
Send Message
Depressing news for me. My husband now tells me last night "We'll need to consider working at least another year." I've already extended 2 years for him and now I must for another? No moving to Colorado and continuing to struggle at my job as things become more and more untenable there. :/ At this rate I'm afraid I'll be working till I'm 70. It's not that I don't intend doing things after I retire, but my body is starting to let me know I can't continue like this. Do I like the money I make? Of course I do! Will I continue with the same lifestyle after I retire? No! I understand eating out, going to the movies, buying new books, and that sort of thing will come to a halt or at least be very, very curtailed. We have to sit down and talk. I get upset and so does he and then it's stupid things said. *sigh* Oh well... Will be here same time next year most likely and possibly the next. Gah! Sorry... just ranting.

Hoping those on the east coast/southern US are okay with that brutal weather. Here it went from winter, unusually cold temps down to 20's at night and only 50's during the day to summer-like in the high 80's. Supposed to cool off. My worry is with the rain we had a lot of growth, then drying to a crisp - plenty of fire hazards. Very weird weather. Take care all!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I'm very sorry to hear that, Belle. I can vaguely commiserate, if only that I'm seven plus months into my two-stage early retirement plan. The full-time at reduced pay phase ends April 2017, the no-time phase February 2019. Extending the active phase beyond April 2017 is a thought that would now seriously dampen my mood, though I suspect you might consider my situation something of a "luxury problem."

And many other posts above also sadden me. All I have had to contend with the last few days was the first tiresome cold in quite a few years, which is now fading. All I can say is

Image Image Image
<< First1415161718Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email