Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1516171819Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Thank you, Gandolorin. I initially was going to retire last year January, but my husband insisted he has to be 65 minimum to retire. Now who knows when this will happen. I am seriously considering telling him I'm going to retire anyway and if he wishes to continue working, go for it. It's raising my blood pressure and stressing me out and that's not good. Appreciate the big hugs to everyone as yes, it's been a really tough year... Year of the Fire Monkey. I have to look it up and see what sort of things the Asians have to say about it. *sigh* Returning virtual hug.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I'm so sorry to hear about the dissention in your household, Belle.

Personally, I think deciding whether or not to retire has to be one of the most difficult decisions anyone can make, and I'm not sure there is ever a perfect time.

I think, ultimately, you just have to do what feels right to you, especially if the job has begun to demand more of you than you're prepared to give.

I'll be thinking of you, and sending positive thoughts your way. Image
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Belle, does this have something to do with Social Security payments? (If I'm being nosy about things that are most likely none of my business, just give me the "... where the sun don't shine" comment).

I'm curious for two reasons. I have a US Social Security number that I can fire off in about two seconds, from summertime jobs in 1973 and 1974. And my deceased (2013) mother received widow's Social Security payments even here in Germany, after her 65th birthday, if I remember correctly (that would have been 1993). When you are eligible for what percentages of nominal payments, depending within limits on your income, from our "Renteversicherung" has been something subject to shifts (unanimously downwards) for some decades. Just wondering if there are similarities.
BelleBayard
Send Message
I can receive full SS benefits at age 66 - I have my military pension and will have a VA pension as well. I think we'll be fine. He does not. Therein lies the proverbial rub. If you take your SS benefits before 66 (in my age group, 63 going on 64) it's reduced. Hence I don't plan on doing so.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds, on general terms, not in specifics, about as confused as what I have to deal with - just your own situation. The bit with your hubby is a totally different situation from ours, as we are a one-income family - which is thankfully sufficient for us (not due to any genius efforts of my own, mostly the luck of inheritance on a small scale.)

Stuff can get complicated when you're over 60, somehow (as I have been for less than one week).
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
OMG it's been a little while since I was here and I'm sad to hear that almost everybody has some difficulties.I'm very sorry Belle, Awelyn, Neenime, and hopefully the bad situation will get better and return to what you used to.Take care all of you.

ES:spring bulbs already!! I'm so jealous it is -42C here with the windshield.

BELLE:The lost of height when we age has to do with the less liquid we have between the disks in out spine.Is it true?I heard that somewhere.And what do you call the liquid we have between the disks.The year of the monkey is not suppose to be good,hope it's not true.

So once again all of you take good care of yourself.There is a say in french that says''breath calmly and let the wind pass''.I know sometimes it's hard to do.

SWABBY nice to see you
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
But Belle if it is causing health issues it would seem better to retire or go on and move to Colorado and get a part time job to help with the money part. I want to be able to enjoy my retirement. My daughter has gone part time so I don't have to watch my grandkids as much and my granddaughter will start preschool in September. I hope things work out for you.
Gandolorien thank you for understanding.
Have a great week.
Dimple good to hear from you. Hello ES.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
awelyn418 said:... Gandolorien thank you for understanding...

awelyn, I just wish that the understanding would not be, as it was with the insurance company's response that you posted, of something so manifestly evil - and yes, I unfortunately do not find a more fitting description for such things.

Supposedly, one (normally? *sigh* another contentious word) should mellow with age. Looking at my last about twenty years, if there is one thing I have definitely not done is become more mellow. And since I am incorrigible bookworm, I have found that not a few people who are immensely more knowledgeable than I am on topics that interest me, some even possessing true wisdom (as far as I can tell), have trod a similar path. If they reprimanded gently, but firmly X years ago, they now have taken the kid gloves off and take no prisoners.

But then, Albert Einstein reputedly once said that there are probably only two things that are infinite - the universe and human stupidity. He was still not entirely certain about the universe ...

*sigh*

(I hope Spring brings us more enjoyable topics ...)
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings.
I maintain that I'm 18, simply with 22 years experience, and that I don't get older, I level up, and it would seem there is a forum here for similarly leveled folk, so I thought I might say howdy.
Peace,
Ringil's Wrath
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

BelleBayard
Send Message
Welcome, Ringil's Wrath!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
By your reckoning, Ringil's Wrath, I'm level 42.

(Now THAT'S a starting point for a bunch of tangents to go shooting off on! )
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome Ringil's Wrath:

I was on Pinterest last night and I found that citation about books and since there are a fair number of bookworm here I thought sharing it with you:

''What an astonishing thing a book is.It's a flat object made from a tree with

flexible parts on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squilles.But one glance

at it and you're inside the mind of another person.Maybe somebody dead for

thousands of years.Across the millenia an author is speaking clearly and silently

inside your head directly to you.Writing is perhaps the greatest of human

inventions binding together people who never knew each other, citisens of distant

epochs.Books break the shackles of time.A book is proof that humans are capable of

working magic.''

Carl Sagan

I think it's wonderful and so true.
Ringilswrath
Council Member
Send Message
Hello Belle, pleased to meet you.
Dimple, that is a wonderful quote from Carl Sagan. He was always one of my favorite scientists and writers. He can make the act of reading seem like sorcery!
Level 42 you say? My friends say I'm level capped. I can tell them not by half!
Peace,
Ringil's Wrath
ImageImage

"Are you sure about that? It might just be a tie!" ~ Duo Maxwell, MS Gundam Wing

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Welcome to the group, Ringil! It's nice to welcome a new person to the group. Image

I have to confess to have reached Level 42, drifted into the stratosphere beyond it, where you begin to experience the "Benjamin Button" phenomenon; quite marvellous actually.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all.

Special welcome to you Ringil. We are experienced in life but young at heart here, so I am sure you will fit in fine.

Belle- So sorry that you are feeling the burden of needing to work longer. I hope that you find the strength you need, or a reasonable alternative to your current work. It can be soul-sucking when the workplace is bad. Hugs to you.

Awelyn- wishing you and your daughter well. Isn't it terrible that we need insurance advocates? The for-profit model of health insurance is just ridiculous. Here in Ontario, there is a trend to companies refusing to pay for the treatment recommended by experts. It's maddening ! Good luck in the fight to get what is just.

Hoping that the stormy weather has passed and that everyone is safe.

Had my stress test yesterday. Went up to 98% of max heart rate ( if I understood the technician properly) , huffing and puffing but without any symptoms. The attending doc said it was a normal heart record, so unless there was something unusual in the Holter test from two weeks ago, I think all is well. Still, very glad that I had the tests done and grateful for a health system that makes it all possible.

Our son in Nursing is just a few weeks away from finishing his training. His final clinical placement is in mental health, my old stomping ground. He is enjoying it so far. Has had two job interviews already, though the cuts expected to health budget and nursing hours in this province don't bode really well. We've had to help him out financially and I am glad that we can do that.

I borrowed The Return of the Shadow from the library. I was hoping for more background to the Ring story. Instead, I find that it's a detailed comparison of manuscripts and versions of the trilogy. A bit too detailed for my taste. I think I will go back to Tolkien' s original works and immerse myself in his poetic language and rich imagery.

Wishing you all a day of small treasures of joy and goodness.

[Edited on 02/24/2016 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks, Neenime. The kind thoughts are always appreciated. Perhaps it's just that I've worked so very long at this. My psyche is tired of wanting to help people and not being successful within the boundaries laid out for me. I am determined to retire in January unless I drop over dead before then. So we tighten our belts? I believe I deserve the time to do the things I want to do before I can no longer do them. *sigh* Wishing all a wonderful day.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Good for you Belle. Listen to what your gut tells you. Besides, there is no reason not to continue with some part time work even after retiring from this job. I am doing that in my semi-retirement and it's working out well. I needed to get out of a place that was run on excessive rules and fears rather than working for excellence. Besides, as an RN I imagine there will be plentry of opportunities for you. Sadly, there is less full time work with full benefits any more, but the part time model works well at our age.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I agree with Neenime, Belle.

I found once I left the stress of day to day work and retired, I was able to do as much vacation coverage as I wanted at different doctor's offices. Just the change of seeing different patients was a pick-me-up. I did that for bit until I decided I really didn't want to work at all.

I confess, after retiring, it took me a solid three months to decompress. I guess, because I was trying to get everything "just so" for my replacement, I put a lot of extra stress on myself over the three to six months before I retired. Mea culpa .... but I don't think the situation is unusual.

Now I'm happy watching the daffodils push through, and the crocus and hyacinth blooms opening. No more work for me .... ha! I seem to be busier than I was when I was working, but I own the clock so things get done when they do.

Here's a bit of Thursday humour.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Last night I was watching a documentary about retiring ,finance and how people will manage it when the time comes.And I was surprised to learn how the mentality changed over the years.Not many years ago ,say 10 to 15 years,people who could take their retirement around 55 to 60 years old were considered like big winners and if you could not you were a looser, now it is the other way around.People who wants,and it is a matter of choice and I may add money too,to continue to work are viewed like a contributor to society.They do it because they enjoy having people around them,they see themselves as persons of experience who have a lot to offer to society,they want to be in society and not just around it,even if it is just part time,a day or two.But there are also the ones that have to keep working and don't enjoy it anymore and for them it is a chore.Sometimes it is a matter of choice and sometimes not,unfortunately not all have the chance to have a pension from their employers or participate to a private one.Many don't know what they're going to do when their working days will be over and that must be very unsettling I will find it terrifying.
BelleBayard
Send Message
I think we should be okay financially. Yes, I could continue to work until I'm 70 or 80, but do I want to full time? No. Will I want to put my hand in here and there? Yes. I plan on volunteering at the local fire department as they do a fair amount of business in that rural area so I will not be bored. I sew and do many other things.

A piece of very appropriate news as Oestara approaches. Both our lady bunnies have given birth today successfully in their kindling boxes. Don't know how many yet as don't want to disturb the newborns right away, but will check on them Saturday. So tickled that both of the mamas got it right this time and gave birth inside the boxes instead of on the wire like the last time. Very grateful for awesome advice from a family who are homesteading in the Rockies and have many creatures they raise for food and comfort. Definitely an upswing to the week.

[Edited on 02/26/2016 by BelleBayard]
awelyn418
Send Message
It was so nice reading all that has been written I feel like I am home when I am here and hello Ringilswrath nice to see new people here. My little Shi-tzu had to be put down today. But she had lived a long and happy life. I will miss her. I am looking forward to April I am going to have a 4 day holiday at a Tolkien event in Shaker Village in Kentucky. I will relax ,talk and discuss Tolkien,eat delicious food drink some wine and enjoy my friends So have a great week(what's left of it) and a great weekend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
BELLE:How are the bunnies doing?And what is Oestara?

AWELYN:I'm sorry to hear about your little dog but it is a comfort to know that she had been happy wih you and well taking care of during many years.You made her happy and she made you happy and that's a good thingDo you think of having a new ,cute and nice puppy soon?

Snow,snow,snow and snow will it ever end??? We're expecting about 45cm sunday and monday.I'M already tired just to think about it.

Have a nice evening
BelleBayard
Send Message
Bunnies two days old and still just little pinkies. Oestara is the Celtic celebration of spring... life and fertility... Occurs around the time of Easter. Warm here in the 70's, but there's been snow in the mountains of Colorado where my daughter's family is living (in our retirement home).
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
awelyn - I am so very sorry to hear that you've lost your dog. They're so much a part of your daily routine that everything becomes a bit discombobulated when they're no longer there. A new puppy certainly does go a long way to lifting one's spirits, but they're also a lot of work.

Dimple - ..... better you than me with the snow. We have spring bursting through the ground here: daffodils, crocuses, snowdrops, hyacinths, and tulip. Not to brag (well, maybe a little), but we only had one snowfall this winter, and it was barely more than a skiff.

Belle - Congratulations on the new bunnies! We have tons of wild bunnies here (drop-offs mostly) and they're beginning to have their young as well. They're always so cute, and totally unafraid of being picked up. Having new, young life around, is always so life affirming.

Have a great week everyone!

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Oestara, Easter, Ostern ... very interesting, how close the Celtic and Germanic terms appear to be to each other, and quite unrelated to Spanish Pascua, French Pâques and Latin Pascha (though that is a later form, apparently).
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple I still have three dogs and two cats. I do not plan on replacing any of my animals when they die. My children with families have their own pets and I want my animals well cared for and there are times I worry about the ones I have if something would happen to me. I need to talk to vet and see what he suggests.
No snow here but I see other parts of the United States is getting snow and winter conditions.
My granddaughter and I were playing a game I made for her. It is a singing game. She asks where certain people are and I sing the answer. Example where's mommy? She's working at the bank. We went through so many and then she stumped me. Where's everybody. I said I don't know and she said how about the birdies and I said they are in a big tree. She makes me laugh. Have a good week .
Thank you Es she was a great dog. Her mom and dad were show dogs. When she came to me. She had never walked on grass. Because she had been in a kennel all her life. So she tippy toed when she went outside she finally adjusted.
Belle two day old bunnies how sweet. I am glad it is not to hot for them. Do you plan on having bunnies in Colorado?
Goodnight friends.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Hello, awelyn! Yep, we certainly do, but will keep them in a barn during the cold weather and fenced in when it's warmer, only because of the many predators up in the mountains. The bunnies now have a dusting a fur on them and are getting their ears (they are born pretty much without and totally naked). We'll have our cat or cats depending on if Miss Kitty makes it that long and our dog. When they go, we will replace them only because our lives would be so empty without them. However, if we started doing poorly I would start looking for good homes.

Very foggy out this morning, can't see across the street. Rather like it, but driving in it can be more than a bit dicey since most go far too fast when the visibility is awful. Take care all.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Well, it started snowing lightly yesterday afternoon, and continued so that by this morning, which meteorologically is the beginning if Spring, we had about two inches of snow - the kind which is good for making snowballs and -people. Only the third time this astronomical winter, and melting away quite quickly.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
BELLE: I would love to see pictures of your bunnies if you're able to take them.

AWELYN: This is a really sweet game and the fun of it is that you don't know what the child will come up with.Children are so special.

GANDOLORIN:You seem knowledgeable about languages,is it a keen interest of yours only or you studied it?

ES:Brag,brag,brag and turn the iron in the wound(lol).We finally had 55cm in 3days,it took us 5hours and a half to shovel and snowblowing it,we did it in two days because it was too much to do it all in one day.I will be in good shape when spring comes to work in the garden I'm telling you!

Have a good evening all
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Dimple_Bumbleroot said:... You seem knowledgeable about languages,is it a keen interest of yours only or you studied it?...

I have spoken German and English my entire life, had French and Latin in high school, have some small Hindi residues from our stay in India in the first half of the 1960s, a few crumbs of Korean form my stay in South Korea in 1988, and have been on vacation in Spanish-speaking countries eleven times (and Portugal and Crete three times each). But my interest in languages was certainly sharpened by my interest in JRRT starting in the mid-1980s, with Tom (Thomas Alan) Shippey being by far the greatest source of philological information - and not just about JRRT.

[Edited on 03/06/2016 by Gandolorin]
awelyn418
Send Message
It has been very good weather for two days but is getting ready to rain now. My cats are just loving it. My dogs hate rain. Have a great week.
Dimple I hope you are not having snow now.
Gandolorin I wish I knew another language. I can sign to the deaf and speak a few words of Spanish like good morning ,thank you,goodnight and some single Spanish words and that is all.
Belle glad you will have your bunnies.
ES my goodness Spring is at your house.
Goodnight.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
awelyn418 said:... I can sign to the deaf ...

Never got that far. A very good friend of mine is very hard of hearing (without his hearing aids his loss is around 70 decibels of the frequency he hears best). He taught me the finger alphabet, of which I have forgotten the odd letter by now.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
The spring monsoons have hit the Island, deluging us with torrents of water and high winds. Followed by a day, or two, of iffy sunshine with cool temperatures. I have a wee pond in my backyard now and all I need is a couple of ducks to complete it. (Wouldn't my cats be thrilled?)

I've managed to finish my spring clean-up with a little help and the place looks really good.

I bought five appliances and a range hood from Sears, and they will be delivered on March 30th. I'm particularly excited about the new stove. My current one is over 25 years of age (as is the fridge, which is struggling). My other appliances (washer, dryer, and dishwasher) date back to 1997 when I renovated my house. Everything was on sale, and I got a deal on Sears points due to the size of my purchase ($450.00 in points) so I am very pleased.

I'm now in the process of looking for a new car. I've pretty much decided on a 2016 Hyundai Tuscon FWD and am just looking over the Consumer Reports (good review), and other resources to see if it's a good deal. I hate buying new cars. Everything is so deceptive about the process from the 0.0% interest fee on the top model; to the difference between "Premium" vs "Standard" when it come to models. Fortunately, I can pay cash so I will do some hard negotiating for a good deal. I may take my neighbour with me as they tend to deal with women differently when a man is present ..... asshats. LOL

All is all it's going to be an awesome spring!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
It is quite impressive Gandolorin.I'm a french canadian and I started to learn English in my twenties when we moved to British Columbia.I never learned the english grammar so once and a while I make mistakes when I write.Where I live there is not so much english people(Québec city) so I don't have the chance to practice as often as I would like but I read a lot in english and I watch t.v. too so I'm make sure not to loose the little bit that I have.I don't know if it's true or not but I heard that when speaking more than one language both sides of your brain are enhanced so if it's true I guess we're doing alright lol

AWELYN: No everything is quiet snow wise and it started to melt with temperature above 0C and the sun is quite warm.Hoping that it will continue like that and that finally winter will be something of the past.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know if speaking more than one language has exactly the effect on the brain that you mention, Dimple (and I have read a lot about this topic, but the books span about twenty years of publication), but there is no question that speaking more than one language is a good thing. One has the greatest benefit, if I remember correctly, if one grows up bilingual (at least). If you learn at least two languages in the years when your brain is the most receptive, you have an advantage in learning every additional language. Learning music during this formative time, meaning learning to play an instrument, or to sing in a choir, as I guess, has similar beneficial effects. That is where I am a total dud, and must take a very far back seat to my wife, who learned to play the piano. So we complement each other ... Image
<< First1516171819Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email