Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
Post Favorite Elvish Phrase from the movies?
on: December 03, 2003 12:23
I find that even though I don't know Elvish well, I LOVE the Elvish lines in the movies. They're beautiful! So, having sought out their translations, I wondered if anyone else felt the same way and had an Elvish movie line they loved.

My favorite so far is "Lasto beth nîn. Tolo dan na ngalad." Trans: "Hear my voice, come back to the light." Not only does it sound good, but I like the imagery of moving out of darkness into light. This idea of hearing a voice call you to life rings within my soul!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite Elvish Phrase from the movies?
on: December 03, 2003 02:55
I like this one:
I amar prestar aen… (The world is changed)
han mathon ne nen… (I feel it in the water)
han mathon ne chae… (I feel it in the Earth)
a han noston ned gwilith (I smell it in the air)
From the prologue.
~*Arwen_Undómiel*~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2003 06:59
My favorite has to be when Arwen and Aragorn are in the Garden of Twilight in Rivendell talking back and forth in Elvish. It is so beautiful! But when it comes down to it, I love all of the Elvish lines.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2003 07:25
Hmmm... probably the whole Elvish bits between Aragorn and Arwen. The Brigde Scene and the Dream Sequence, in particular. Mmmm... Elvish :drool: LoL
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: December 03, 2003 09:18
The "battle-elvish" as I like to call it. What Elrond speaks to his warriors in the prologue, and what Aragorn and Legolas speak at Helm's Deep. Or any of Elrond's lines in general.
eldir
Mirkwood Enigma
Send Message
on: December 04, 2003 03:25
To be honest, I like them all too.
But if I had to pick a favourite, I would probably choose Haldir's line to Aragorn in FotR-istannen le ammen. Ok, I know this sounds pretty basic, but I like it because it's easy to remember/pronounce/use and my Haldir said it.
LuthienofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2003 03:55
I find that even though I don't know Elvish well, I LOVE the Elvish lines in the movies. They're beautiful! So, having sought out their translations, I wondered if anyone else felt the same way and had an Elvish movie line they loved.

My favorite so far is "Lasto beth nîn. Tolo dan na ngalad." Trans: "Hear my voice, come back to the light." Not only does it sound good, but I like the imagery of moving out of darkness into light. This idea of hearing a voice call you to life rings within my soul!

Couldnt agree with you more Charis!!!!!!!!!!!!
mírfain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2003 05:04
I love all the elvish lines!! but my favorite is:

I amar prestar aen…
han mathon ne nen…
han mathon ne chae…
a han noston ned gwilith.

(The world is changed.
I feel it in the water.
I feel it in the Earth.
I smell it in the air.)
neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2003 08:27
My personal favourite is Ae U estheliach nad, esthelio han, esthelio ammen (If you can't trust anyhting else, trust this, trust us) even though I'm not sure if it's spelled right.
Amdir_Edhellen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2003 11:40
There's a few lines from the movie that I just ADORE. (I've been so into Sindarin lately...)

I love the opening, of course, (who doesn't?) but some of my favorites are the ones that they slightly mistranslated.

For example:

Aníron i e broniatha, ad ae periatham athar i methid en-amar hen.

Aragorn said to Galadriel when he left Lothlorien. It was translated as: I would have her leave these shores and be with her people. It is literally: I desire that she will endure, even if we are divided beyond the ends of this world. How beautiful is that?

Also when Galadriel says to Aragorn: Nadath nâ i moe cerich. Dan, ú-‘eviditham, Elessar. lit: Things be that it is necessary you do(there are things you have yet to do). We will not meet (again), Elessar. That's a nice farewell, ay?

and of course, in my signature it says, "they have passed the long years, you do not have the woes you now carry" said from arwen to aragorn.

Man, I'd love to learn elvish.:heart:
fiore
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 03:51
hi i'm fiore this is my first message in this forum, (soory for my english, be patient):blush:
i like this sentence:
I amar prestar aen…
han mathon ne nen…
han mathon ne chae…
a han noston ned gwilith.

but i don't understand y Galadriel speak it into Sindarin and not quenya, (i know that this Sentence is said by Treebeard) but Galadriel is a Queen from Valinor and she should speak into qenya or not?
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 01:37
I love love love the scene between Galadriel and Aragorn in lothlorien in the EE. Both of them spoke elvish so well and fluently that we wonder how it can NOT be a real language.
And also Celeborn's line to Aragorn ("you are being tracked" don't know how to spell it in elvish) was great too. I wish that Celeborn had even more lines in EE thou...
Charis
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 03:21
Aragorn said to Galadriel when he left Lothlorien. It was translated as: I would have her leave these shores and be with her people. It is literally: I desire that she will endure, even if we are divided beyond the ends of this world. How beautiful is that?

Wow! I didn't know that. And it is so beautiful!
Tinuvien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 04:35
I love Elvish.. and I know almost all the phrases from the movies. Hmm.. I have LOTS of Favs...
*Like Ringhilwen said: the battle lines are very cool.. by Elrond, Viggo,(@Helm's Deep) and Orlando Bloom (I think). It's cool to hear them shouted a little bit .
*ALL of LIV'S lines. Oh my goodness. SO pretty. I love this, which I hope she says in the 3rd movie:
"Law hir nin, o dollen i diew, enedach newe lu gwannad on gwaith lin?" (SPELLING is terrible.. sorry)... it's just very pretty. You'd have to hear her say it.
*Legolas' lines in Helm's Delp in the Glittering Caves .
*Aragorn is OK.. but it's not my fav.
THANKS!:love:
Minyaana
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 10:43
''But no more than just a memory'' ; Aragorn's answer to Elrond after Elrond saying their (Aragorn and Arwen's) love will be ever green in the West...

Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 09, 2003 12:08
''But no more than just a memory'' ; Aragorn's answer to Elrond after Elrond saying their (Aragorn and Arwen's) love will be ever green in the West...
That's not Elvish. I forgotten it: Liv's Elvish is marvelous, so beautiful. Anvanya.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2003 06:30
I love all the Elvish lines and I think Liv does a marvellous job my favourite would have to be: Ae U estheliach nad, esthelio han, esthelio ammen If you trust in nothing else, trust this, trust us.
I think it's beautiful in Elvish and in English, such an emotive line. But then I love that whole dream sequence. I'm actually a lot better at Quenya than Sindarin but I'm learning.
Mithrellas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2003 06:06
My favorite elvish line is the words Arwens says to Frodo when she rides up in a blaze of light on Asfaloth. How does it go????? Anyway, that is by far the most beautiful elvish line in all three movies. Liv speaks elvish the BEST of all the cast.
djinnj
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 12:29
I don't recall who asked why Sindarin was used but here's an answer. The Eldar returning to ME from Valinor discovered that their brethren who had remained spoke a changed language (Sindarin). The found it easy to learn since Quenya and Sindarin were clearly related, and eventually Sindarin became the commonly spoken tongue. Also, Quenya was not permitted in Doriath because Thingol was angry about the Kinslaying, so that probably accelerated the decline in Quenya as a commonly spoken language.

Of course, the Numenoreans used Quenya as a scholarly language, so there are remnants of it in Gondor even as late as the end of the 3rd Age.
Warrior_of_Minas_Tirth
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 10:17
my favorite has to be when Aragorn arrives at Helms Deep and Legolas says "You're Late" I just loved that part, it added humor in a place where it was needed.
dark_lord
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2003 07:04
I like Aragorn's speech to the elves before the battle of Helm's Deep
Lady_Joan_of_Ingatestone
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 08:23
That part in TTT when Arwen cries and says "you have my love, father." Just the way she said it made me feel so sorry for both of them.
fishi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 06:34
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta.

Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place I will abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.

I like.
LuthienReborn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 05:24
I love it when Elrond says I give all hope to men, and Aragorn says I keep none for myself. Does anyone know the elvish version of this? I really want to know!!!
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 05:29
I don't know why, but I really like "le aphadar aen" and "natha daged dhaer!". I also like "ah, Aragorn en Dunedain. Istannen le ammen." I'm not sure why, I just like the way they sound! :love:
Also, "mae carnen, Brego, mellon nin" will always have a special place with me cause it's the first elvish phrase I knew without subtitles! lol...YAY ME!
chaffiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 01:06
mines definatly

Natha daka thia!!

[there all going to die!!]

Macilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 05:39
My favorite Elvish line is:

A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas.
(Show them no mercy for you shall receive none.)

It was the first Elvish phrase I learned (except for the exception of 'hannon le').
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 05:14
Sindarin is so beautiful, isn't it? I just felt that I had to learn it..*nerd*, but anyway, here we go:

Boe a hyn...neled herain...dan caer menig?
'And they should be... three hundred against ten thousand.'
Said by Legolas before the Battle of Helms Deep. I'm not very fond of Legolas/Orlando, but he delievers this line very well!

Anirne hene beriad i chên lîn.
Ned Imladris nauthant e le beriathar aen.
'She wanted to protect her child.
She thought in Rivendell you would be safe.'
Elrond says this line extremely well! I love it!

Nadath nâ i moe cerich. Dan, ú-'eveditham, Elessar.
'There is much you have yet to do. We shall not meet again, Elessar.'
Cate Blanchett makes this the best Elvish line ever! :cry::cry:

Oh, and then we've got the Old English lines, they're the best. I'd love to learn that language!
Menegroth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 06:06
Look at my signature!!!
Pads
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 10:55
Elrond: Ónen i-Estel Edain. (I give hope to Men)
Aragorn: Ú-chebin estel anim. (I keep none for myself.)

I like this scene, just like the sound elvish. Although I have to say that the scene in TTT between Aragorn and Legolas (Boe a hyn - neled herain dan caer menig? and so on); I always think that Legolas's lines sound a bit like 'Schwytzerdütsch' - the kind of german the Swiss speak.

I'm currently especially into elvish writing, it just looks so beautiful.
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 01:17
I amar prestar aen…
han mathon ne nen…
han mathon ne chae…
a han noston ned gwilith

Yes I know this isn't very unique but I absolutely love that part at the beginning of FotR! :heart: Elvish is soo beautiful!
Half_Hobbit141
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 01:53
My fave is "e taiglia la saheith" "you shall receive none". 'course I like to say it cause I'm half-elf (half-hobbit).
ElvenBeauty321
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 02:23
Oooo! I just love elvish. It's such a beautiful language. I love all of it in the movies, it's great to hear it spoken. I agree with all the lines that have been said so far, each is as enchanting as the next. The 'battle' elvish is probably my favorite though Hehehe

I also remember an elvish line no one's metioned yet that I quite like. It's Frodo's line in Shelob's Lair. "Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima! (Hail Eärendil brightest of the Stars!)"
CelticMoon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 10:13
I love the lines
Elrond: Ónen i-Estel Edain. (I give hope to Men)
Aragorn: Ú-chebin estel anim. (I keep none for myself.)
because that is practically whan Aragorn's mother says to him in the Appendixes.
I also love when Arwen says:
Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!
Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer, Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!
(Waters of the Misty Mountains listen to the great word; flow waters of Loudwater against the Ringwraiths!)

And then the whole river comes. *sigh* it's great. It goves me shivers! But I love all the Elvish
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2004 02:33
Love all the lines already mentioned. The Bruinen spell was the first Elvish I ever learned!
For some reason, the following strike my fancy:
- "Andelu i ven" (The road is too dangerous), said by Strider (Aragorn) to Arwen when they are arguing about who is going to ride to Rivendell with Frodo. Eventually, Aragorn concedes that Arwen is the better rider and gracefully ends the conversation with:
- "Be iest lin" (According to your wish)
Also, when the fellowship, minus Gandalf arrive in Lothlorien, Aragorn tells Haldir:
- "Haldir o Lorien. Henion aniron. Boe ammen i dulu lin. Boe ammen veriad lin." (Haldir of Lorien, we come here for help. We need your protection.)
And, of course, my ultimate favorite, already mentioned in this thread several times: The argument between Legolas and Aragorn where Legolas says:
- "Aragorn, nedin dagor hen u-erir ortheri. Natha daged daer!" (Aragorn, they cannot win this fight. They are all going to die!)

Pads, I'm actually from Switzerland, and I laughed out loud when I read your post. You put the finger EXACTLY on what has been bugging me about Legolas's Elvish! It does come out sounding terribly nordic and all chopped just like SwissGerman, instead of the flowing welsh like sentences which Arwen utters, and the slightly romance language flavored lines which Aragorn has. I guess since it's not an actual living language, everyone is going to put their own flavoring into it...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email