Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post Things that bug me - Mistakes of ROTK
on: December 08, 2003 09:15
This will be a similar topic to the ones we've had 'topped' here for FotR and TTT (the FOTR thread is now un-topped):

Go ahead... list all the items that bugged YOU! It doesn't matter if someone else has already mentioned them, you can list them again... this is your place to spout off (politely, of course). Everyone is allowed their opinion, so even if you disagree... that is not the purpose of this thread. It's purpose is let each of you express just what's bugging you about Return of the King!! The cast, the filming, the dialog, the editing, the music, the story, the changes from the book...\

Again, make sure to remember to keep everything polite (no bashing of other's opinions, since everyone is welcome to their own. All movie forum and board rules still apply...no need to get nasty!
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Things that bug me - Mistakes of ROTK
on: December 08, 2003 11:08
one huge problem I have: it's taking much too long!
Elfhild
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:39
I agree Figwit : much too long..... maybe my expextations was too high *sighs*, but I returned home early this morníng after trilogy-marathon and was actually dissapointed over ROTK.. can´t pinpoint exactly why but I am.

One thing I notised is several scenes (especially those with Arwen and Elrond) looks like a hole lot of different takes that are cut together randomly.... it´s particually in the first part of the film... wired :dizzy:

The look on Galadriels face just before she enters the ship, and that goodbye scene.... wayyyyyy too long *sighs even deeper* maybe I´ll just have to see the film again a few times to appreciate it more (didn´t have to with TTT - loved that one right from the first minute, still does).

Ooohh the scene with Legolas on the Oliphant :cry: :angry: :cry: why did PJ use that in the film??? compared to all the other stunts and computermade tricks..... pleeeeaaasse. Better stop now before I get to wound up - again :evil:
Curu
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 04:35
I don't think it was taking much too long at all. One thing, though: after Frodo and Samwise had the orc armour on, Frodo had his hobbit clothing on again. I may have just missed something, but it seemed odd. I thought he had lost his clothes. And the last battle: it didn't seem as great as the previous battles in the film. I think they emphasized the others too much.

But nonetheless... PJ did a wonderful job!

[Curu]
Skye
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 07:13
I agree, Curu! i don't think you missed anything. I noticed too when suddenly Frodo wasn't in orc gear anymore and had his clothes, and Sam was missing his pack...
I felt that a lot of stuff was cut out, not only from the book but also from this theatrical version. There were so many loose ends that didn't get tied up at the end! Whatever happended to the Palantir? Where was the scene where Merry swears service to Theoden, which was even in a preview?! And what happened to Faramir after Gandalf saves him from his crazy father? There are more but i can't remember...I guess the extended will clear a lot of this up.
One thing that truly bothered me though was Denethor's death. What's with running off the cliff?!?! That looked ridiculous. It would have been much more powerful and cool if he had just burned to death, even in front of their eyes.
Well, I'm done. Overall though, it was an AMAZING movie!!!! THe last half hour alone... wow!
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 07:21
- a Rohirrim soldier vanishing in mid air after getting kicked by an oliphaunt - CG problem methinks?
- Theoden's hair colour seems to vary rather randomly
- Gollum Gollum should *not* be a figure of fun. OK, a joke or two - but not the same jokes, all the time
- I thought it was very bitty - snapping from shot to shot really quickly...
- oof! yes - the oliphaunt surfing
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 09:49
Well, I will agree with the surfing thing. . a little too much CG fun! And Gollum's character personality did stray a bit. I didn't like how they made him split Sam and Frodo. And finally, even though this was correct to the books. . I just hated Denethor's character! I wanted to strangle him so much!
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 11:32
I agree. The Legolas/single-handedly taking down an oliphaunt thing is absurd. Also, did anyone else notice that Sam's brooch is backwards?

~Haldir
atalante_star
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 11:58
I agree. The Legolas/single-handedly taking down an oliphaunt thing is absurd. Also, did anyone else notice that Sam's brooch is backwards?

Yup. But it was the other films as well - at least part of the time (haven't scrutinised every scene with Sam in to see LOL)
iaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 01:18
I was very disepointed with the part when Aragorn comes with the army of death, in the book it seems to bee a very beautiful moment with many big ships.

In the movie Aragorn comes with a small brown ship, not specifacly beautiful.

The sails sould have Gondors logo on them,

and the ships comes precisly when Theoden is dying.

sorry fore my bad english :heart:
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:02
The sails sould have Gondors logo on them

Why????? They weren't Gondor's ships, they were Corsairs from the enemy side. Aragorn and the army of the dead take them over and arrive without challenge because the orcs think they are on their side. They don't identify themselves until the last minute. When they first arrive in the books the Rohirrim think they are the enemy and the forces of Mordor were 'enheartened'. And why would the enemy have beautiful ships? They are not beautiful in the books.
Not a 'mistake' at all.

I did miss the 'Mouth of Sauron' bit from the book though.

My only real complaint is that it was too short, I too sat through the trilogy, but I found that ROTK could have been longer and not bothered me at all. Although today I am rather exhausted from the very late night and the emotional roller coaster ride.

p.s. don't hit me but I liked the 'Leggy moment'.
iaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:15
bur I have the book here in my arms and I says that the ships first are dark and the army´s of mordor think that the ships´s belong to them,,, bur then a big sail shows,,, with the three of gondor and seven stars

it was the logo of elendil
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 02:46
Ahh, now I see the confusion. What they saw was 'a great standard'. Not a sail, but the standard that Arwen had made for Aragorn and in the book was brought to him by the Rangers prior to the paths of the dead. A standard of Gondor indeed with the White Tree and the Seven Stars. Of course the Dunedain Rangers aren't in the film at all. Anyway you may be right in that it is missing, I didn't notice it there. I think PJ has instead changed it a bit when he has Arwen step out from behind that beautiful white standard at Aragorn's coronation. The surprise for Mordor is when Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn jump off the ship and the army of the dead appear behind them.

By rights he should have got the standard and the sword in TTT, and his own horse of course, but he didn't.
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 04:15
DENETHOR.:evil:

Yes, an awful potrayal. Legolas did get too much CG fun.

And...

WHERE THE HAY IS THE MOUTH OF SAURON?!

..ehe...just had to let that out. GREAT movie, however.
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 04:57
Gandalf bumping Pippin and demanding that he "Get up!" irked me a little. That was out of character.

Merry's miraculous recovery from stabbing the Witchking. Aragorn must have intraveniously given him the athelas

Me and my Mom noticed something, but I wanted to confirm it, did anyone else think that Frodo's missing finger magically reappeared in certain scenes? We know it's gone (Mom speculated they might have re-attatched it since it didn't go into the fire) we saw his hand maimed and bandaged in Ithilien. But in some of the Shire scenes, he appears to have a complete set of fingers again, although the next shot I did notice a maimed finger. Anyone else? :dizzy:
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 05:03
I did notice that part of one finger was missing, and I think it was consistently missing after Mount Doom.
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 05:05
Over all I loved the movie, it was just beautiful. But of course, I liked the book better.
But anyways, there were a few scenes that weren't put together very well. You can just tell where they cut stuff out for the extened edition. They needed to explain a bit on how Eowyn and Faramir met. I mena, in the battle of Pelinor Fields, you see Eowyn collapse on the battle field and then you don't see her till the end of the movie when she's with Faramir. It just didn't make much sense. And also with Merry, first you see him all injured and sick, and then you see him riding off to battle. Just a bit confusing. But, like I said, the movie was great, can't wait to see it again!
elven_angel22
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 05:25
The movie was great, but their were some things that bugged me.

After Eowyn and Merry stab the Witch King they both collapse but then later on they are perfectly fine. They didn't explain that very well.

Same with Faramir. They shouldn't of cut the scene with the houses of healing, hopefully it will be in the extended version.

The way the eye of Sauron moves was weird.

I did miss the Mouth of Sauron and Faramir/Eowyn romance too.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 06:50
p.s. don't hit me but I liked the 'Leggy moment'.

LoL, me too :blush:

Yea, the way the Eye did that whole spot light thing was a little weird.

*EW* The raw fish thing (in the beginning with Smeagol and Deagol) I *REALLY* could have done without! ick.

The House of Healing should *not* have been cut. I understand they didn't have much of a choice, but really now... its absence just left a lot of things very unclear.

The dead were not how I imagined them at all. They were all too green for my liking, LoL. Oh well... if I may quote Kermit the Frog on this one, "It's not easy being green."

I thought that Pippin battling the Palantir was a little too... dramatic. I dunno, it just came across as strange to me.

The inconsistency of Theoden's hair color did bother me a bit...

Basically, there were a lot of details left all too vauge. There just wasn't enough time to get in everything that needed to be included. I can't wait until the DVD comes out... there's still a lot of explaining left to be done.
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 07:05
I didn't really see the point and purpose to the scene about Deagol and Smeagol in the beginning, I just didn't see why it should have been placed in RotK as opposed to sometime in TTT where it would have been better suited. Or maybe it's just the fact that they kick off the movie that way. If your intent in an opening is to grab an audience, I don't think that their choice in scene was particularly good.

And I agree, I liked the Leggy scene.
juhsstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2003 07:33
i think the opening deagol smeagol scene was meant to set the stage for the whole mistrust motif between sam and frodo (with a bit of engineering by gollum). and also simply to emphasize the power of the ring to control its bearer. i thought it was rather cool and dark actually. in bakshi's animated LOTR, they showed deagol being dragged through the water by a fish, and i was thinking, how could PJ do that, it would look absurd and is the kind of thing which works only in animation. well, he did it! :dizzy:
morchant
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 05:01
Didn't the "Arwen will die, if the ring isn't destroyed"- part bother anyone else? I mean, why Arwen? Weren't they all going to die if Sauron got the ring in his hands (well...)???

And Legolas killing the oliphant was so.. tacky.

And -I'm not sure but I think- in the book the finger that Gollum bit off was in Frodo's right hand and in the movie it was in the left.

And some others too, but I still just LOVED it.
morchant
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 05:07
Yes, forgot one...

When Gollum drops into the Mountain of Doom.. He just sinks.. Shouldn't he burn and melt and so on...? I mean, It is hot lava, where he drops into...
Aurora_Celeste
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 05:30
Ooh, goodie:

- I had a huge beef with the way Denethor died. I think it would have been more effective to just burn him locked up (the way it happened in the books). Also, even though they had Gandalf saying over and over, "He's just crazy, he really does bring in the love," they made Denethor look like a total fool. While I'm on that, Gandalf is understanding of Denethor... and then pushes him into the fire. Okay. And jumping to his death? First of all, no way would he have made it that far. The edge was like a mile away. His clothes would have burned in 2 seconds and he would have burned really fast. No way he could run that far, and then jump. No way he could run at all. Crazy stuff. And how come the guards just stood there and let him die? I couldn't possibly think what was going through their minds:

Guard 1: Hey, Bob. Boss is on fire.
Guard 2: What should we do?
Guard 1: Aren't you the fire marshall?
Guard 2: I thought you were the fire marshall.
Guard 1: I was last week, it's your turn this week!
Guard 2: Oh, sh!t. I put my time sheet in my back pocket, and my wife did the laundry!
Guard 1: Too late, he just jumped to his death.
Guard 2: ... Crap.

- Merry rides to the Black Gates. Umm, okay. He was totally dying and then all of a sudden he's fine and dandy?

- The Faramir/Eowyn cut was a HUGE nono! How could they cut that when there were so many other scenes that just didn't fit? The plot stream just fell into chaos. Eowyn has the guy she love tell her he didn't want her and leaves her. Great! They tell her she can't fight because she's a woman. Wee! She's mortally injured. Yay! Her father dies. Life is beautiful! Same for Faramir. He's got no family left... isn't that just peachy? These characters needed the end of their journey. It made no sense that all of a sudden they were just fine. No sense at all. And that's what I feared would happen when I read their scenes had been cut. I was really hoping Peter would deliver in that area, but he didn't.

- The Fall of Gondor went too long, and yet not very emotional (for the characters, with the exception maybe of Pippin).

- Eowyn is mortally injured, and yet she goes over to Theoden like nothing happened. Again, they really needed to show the Houses of Healing.

- Why did they say Arwen was dying if they weren't gonna do nothing about it? You know, we're ALL technically dying, of course. And if the ring isn't destroyed, we're ALL going to die. So, you know, why?

[Edited on 18/12/2003 by Aurora_Celeste]
Gilwen_the_Sorceress
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 05:35
Well, many many cuts, many cuts and missing scenes, I get dissapointed really. Was expecting to see more mature scenes.
I don´t know many things were great but the books are still so much better
ROTK had many dramatic scenes but for me the only true moving scene was Boromir´s death of all LOTR

Ohhh Faramir, why he was so ignored? The House of healings, the romance I know, tooo many scenes, too many time, too many characters well, it was not easy to take LOTR to movies
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 05:53
Oh, The King of the Dead reminded me of Captain Barbosa in POTC...
Becki
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 05:57
Yeah, there was alot of things that they hadn't explain or missed out, but I read somewhere,(on this site if I remeber correctly), that Extended RotK wil be 5 hours long! I can see when they can put an extra 1 and an half in though.

Still a great movie anyway! I was speechless afterwards! All I could say was 'WOW' afterwards

~Becki
Legolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 06:03
Man I love this movie!!!

Since, however, this is a problems thread I will put my very small number of complaints here.

1) Denethor's death was simply wrong. I always rather liked the old boy even if he wasn't the nicest guy in the world. Gandalf pushing him into the fire was wrong, just wrong. To add insult to injury as the flaming steward staggers in pain off the edge of the walls people laughed. Never since the wisecrack about Aragorn being gay becuase he kissed Boromir have I been so angry:angry:!

2) I think the endings, although splendid, seemed to be thrown together ad hoc. I knew what to expect, becuase of all the reviews, but many people in the theater stood up, sat down, stood up, sat down, and from what I heard not everyone was enjoying that. Of course, I hope they add another few hours in the Extended Version!!!

3) The last complaint I have was not really with the movie, but with the people in the theater. I don't know how your movie going experience was, but I seriously questions the taste of many of the people in the theater. Something that really bothers me is people laughing when nothing is funny... indeed just the opposite. They laughed when Denethor died, they laughed when Frodo and Sam broke up, and worse of all, there were a few chuckles when Theoden died. Yes, laugh it up boys, you've almost ruined my night.

Through it all, however, the Return of the King is a perfect end to the the greatest trilogy in history... bar none! Ah yes, Oliphant surfing is quite cool by the way.
Aurora_Celeste
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 06:28
Legolin, I'm sorry your theatrical experience was so bad. I was really worried about this happening to me too, which is why I went to a very early showing (no teenagers). So my audience was great. They were very interactive but not annoying. They laughed and cried (when it was necessary) and were very involved. And they didn't talk much either. And the best part? No babies! We have a real problem around here with people taking their babies to see movies. But thank God there weren't any in our theatre.

If I go see it again, I'll definitely catch an early showing.
Puppet_Master
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 06:40
Oh my god, holy shoes!

First Legolas, now Super Legolas. OK, only for the pleasure of teenage girls. I can forgive that
Frodo, ok, enough. I know he was the true hero but ok, other characters deserve more too.

Denethor, now Pig Denethor. Noble saves the protrayal of the character because he´s great, but with that scenes of the food, Denethor is nothing more than a charmless villain, vulgar Senescal who is not the Lord he is in book, because movie doesn´t explain really what´s going on there.:angry::angry: Denethor´s character is portrayal as a complete idiot, there´s no clue he´s just a desperate guy who doesn´t know what to do.
Pyre of Denethor, ruined for not showing those interesting dialogues between Denny and Gandalf ¡Why ignored that!! To make the scene. And that final, not movieng as the book, for the same reason of turning Denny in just pig Denny:angry:
Great Noble/Denethor but it could be soooooo much better
Gandalf karate kicking Denethor, ehh, I like the idea of Gandalf kicking Denny but...don´t know ehh.
Ignoring Puppet Faramir:angry::angry:
Who Eomer
Useless Gimli,
Super Legolas Did I already said that?
Eowyn, the girl who only is in love with Aragron, ok, saved by the great great scene of Theoden death.
No Puppet Faramir/In love-of-Aragorn-Eowyn romance:angry::angry::angry:
Super Legolas
Pig Denethor
Who Eomer
i_luv_orlando_b
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 06:43
I wouldn't know if there were any mistakes, since I haven't read the book. The Leggy part with the oliphant was great! Not enough Legolas for me. I could have done without that Smeagol eating the raw fish CLOSEUP! That was soooo gross! And the Denethor eating while Faramir was being "killed". I'm not a big fan of Faramir, but that was so mean! It bothered me how Frodo and Sam put on the orc outfits and then they didn't have them on. And I hate how it didn't show what happened to anyone besides the Hobbits and Elrond, Galadirel and Celeborn. I'm hoping it will in the Extended Edition. And the Army of the Dead looked so fake! And the leader of them was a bit too much like Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean! But I still luved this movie SO MUCH!!!
KingPippin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 07:11
i like it for the most part but the Palantir part was disappointing to see it happen in Rohan!
i love the 'voice of saruman' and 'palantir' chapters and not see them potrayed in any movie! i thought that was rather cheesy for it to happen in Rohan.. although Pippins part was good

i didnt like the ending. they left too much out
with no Gimli/Legolas ending.. ????
no marriage of Aragorn/Arwen... ????
too much little details were left out..

my favorite part though was the small detail of Aragorns beard becoming more fuller as he reached his claim to fame!

yes i agree with the crowd in the theater was rather annoying i had many cell phones interruptions and people wisecracking the story.. i wanted to yell ..:angry: RESPECT THE MOVIE!:angry:

i missed the surfing oliphaunt.. dam!:dizzy:

[Edited on 18/12/2003 by KingPippin]
atalante_star
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 07:53
another little thing I've just remembered .... how did Aragorn get a lit torch half way through the Paths of the Dead??? A torch that looked suspicioiusly Gondorian.......

and .....

TTT already established that a fairly
large and steep hill (the one Sam fell down) was pretty close to the Black Gate. The hill seemed to disappear in ROTK and if it was still really there why didn't Aragorn array his army in front of it so he would not be surrounded.

[Edited on 18/12/2003 by atalante_star]
Drao
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 08:25
Things that bugged ME:
Narsil reforged only now
and, gimli underestimated
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 18, 2003 08:36
too much CG. some of it wasn't particually realistic enough (although there's a close up of gollum and i really have to applaud the CG guys for the detail in that).

the legolas/olipaunt thing didnt bother me as much i expected it too (and was made v spiffy with gimli's line straight afterwards. whole cinema laughed so loud at that!). again the thing that bugged me most was the CG legolas sliding down the trunk. looked kinda off

you know the beacons? where do the people who light them live? there werent ay houses up there (and who'd want to live there anyway?) and if they werent up there to start with how'd they get up there so fast and how did they see the other beacons if they werent up there? seemed wierd...

that orc general. why did they have to go for such a dodgy looking orc? he looks like a diseased pig that been hit in the head with a shovel! atleast lurtz looked cool lol (k hes an uruk, but you get my drift lol)

the bulging eye of sauron. when the eye is looking round the CG was kinda dodgy. it just seemed to stretch instead of rotate lol. made it look really odd

eomers eyebrows scrunch up in the middle all the time.. its funny lol

witch kings helmet didnt make him look scary. something wasnt right... the black ragged sheet look was creepier (and better lol)

but yeah ths is just me being really picky lol. they dont bug me too much, they're just silly things lol

and i cant wait to see the rest of the eowyn and faramir storyline in the ROTKEE! that look they gave each other at the coronation was soooo sweet! :love:
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email