- Eowyn and king of Angmar
- beacons lighted on the mountain-range
Marlinia
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Most Memorable image of ROTK
on: January 03, 2004 05:38
- Gandalf riding off to fight the Nazgul as his staff lights up
- Pippin singing as Denethor is eating the Faramir an his men are riding to their death
- Eowyn admitting how she went travelled with the army just to see Aragorn
- Eowyn and Merry confronting the witch king
- Theoden's and Eowyn's last moments together
- Arwen surprising Aragorn
- Denethor's suicidal death
- Gandalf and Pippin spending a few moments together before Orcs break through another gate
- Pippin saving Gandalf's life
- Sam crying to find Frodo has turned him away
- Sam and Frodo together after the ring has been destroyed
- Everyone bowing down to the four hobbits
- many more
ElvenBeauty321
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 07:53
Wow, so many great scenes it's almost impossible to just choose a few. But the moment I read the title of the thread I got the image of Aragorn, with the army of Gondor and Rohan around him, and countless enemies pouring out of the Black Gate. Then Sauron calls to him, and you see him step forward, not knowing what he was going to do. Then he turns, looking at his followers and says, "For Frodo!" Then he charges alone towards the orcs. Then Merry and Pip where the first to follow him.

Ok, and other's I think of are:

~Legolas trying to get to Aragorn when the troll has him
~Legolas running up the Oliphant as he's killing enemies and counting
~Sam saying "Don't go where I can't follow"
~Pippin asking if they'll see each other again and Merry responding he didn't know
~Faramir when he asked his father if he would have rather Faramir died and Boromir lived
~Pippin singing as Faramir and his men charge into certain death
~Gandalf whacking Denethor with his staff when he starts freaking out
~Eowyn telling the witchking she was no man right before slaying him
~As each member of the fellowship enter Frodo's room, each looking their best and some seeing each other the first time in a long while
~Aragorn saying 'hannon le' to Legolas at the end while they clasp arms
~Aragorn saying the hobbits bow to no one and everyone bowing to them
~The four hobbits silently sitting in the inn, watching normal hobbit life go on around them

Woops, got carried away But it 'twas a wonderful movie. I could have gone on forever there...
Sullie
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 08:51
When I got out of ROTK, I had a lot of images in my mind. The top ones were:

*Sam carrying Frodo up the mountain
*Sam crying when Frodo told him to leave
*Frodo when he decides to keep the ring for himself *shudders*
*Aragorn bringing the army to Minas Tirith from the boats
*Everything with Frodo and Sam and Gollum
*Pippin and Merry being separarted
*Pippin singing for the steward while good ole Faramir was attacking Osgillith

That's not it but I'd waste a lot of people's time saying everything I remembered.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 03:45
Most of my memorable moments have been mentioned, but here goes:

1. lighting of the beacons.
2. Sam carrying Frodo (and the wistful hobbit theme piping at that moment).
3. Eowyn whipping her helmet off.
4. Frodo ensnared in Shelob's webs...chilling.
5. Frodo not being able to remember the Shire.
6. The look of evil on Frodo's face when he claims the ring.
7. The eagles delicately plucking Frodo & Sam off the side of Mt. Doom.
8. Faramir's eyes tearing up when Denethor said that he wished that he were dead instead of Boromir.
9. Aragorn's, "For Frodo!"
10. Frodo kissing Sam at the Grey Havens
11. Frodo's smile as he leaves the GH.
12. Pippin trying to save Faramir from the pyre.
13. Pippin singing.
14. Well, every scene Pippin was in, for that matter.
15. Entrance of the Witchking from Minas Morgul...loved the high-pitched screeching of the nazgul, and that moment just
before the signal beacon goes shooting up into the sky...terrifying!
16. Sam curled up in a ball, weeping.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 01:34
All those scenes mentioned here and one particulary: the rohirrim and Eowyn & Merry shouting "death" and storming towards the orcs.

Sam's desperate face shouting "NO" at mount doom (the music that was used in the trailer dramatised that scene pretty well)
Aragorn_Of_Gondor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 05:18
Another memorable image of ROTK is when everyone stops fighting the moment the Ring has been cast into the fires of mount doom and everything starts crashing down. The look and the sad expressions on Aragorn, Gandalf, Merry, Pippin, Legolas and Gimli's faces are the most memorable moments when they think that Sam and Frodo had purished.

The scene with Faramir saying "You wish now that our places have been exchanged. That I had died and Boromir had lived." I really like Faramir in ROTK more than in TTT. He was Great!
I felt bad for him. Poor Faramir.

Return of the King is the most memorable movie ever and always will be. Thank You Peter and the Cast! Thumbs up to the special effects crew/vision imagery crew! Eagles Kick-butt! and of course, The Witch King, thanx for making him so terrifying!!!
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 09:42
There are many wonderful images of RotK, and all that have been mentioned are very good ones to remember . I have seen RotK 3 times and My most memorable image is when all the Hobbits and Gandalf are at the Grey Havens. Elrond, Celeborn and Galadriel are by the ship waiting for the others. Elrond holding his armes out to Bilbo. Gandalf saying his goodbys to Sam, Merry and Pippin. As Gandalf head for the ship he then turns and calls for Frodo. Frodo saying his goodbys to Merry and Pippin, then turns to Sam and embrace him, and all this time Merry, Pippin and Sam are crying their heart out. Frodo just gives a strait expression, not happy and not sad. When Frodo boreds the ship he slowly turns to his dear friends and smiles. As I watched Frodo's face lighten up with happyness I also saw all the weariness leave him. I saw the pain that he carried for so long decease from his body, and true happyness showed through that wonderful smile .
GirlJockey17
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 07:35
Here are mine~

~The look on Pippin's face when he says, "I saw him!"...so sad...

~The look on Faramir's face when his father tells him he would've rather had Boromir live, and Faramir die...

~When Shelob stings Frodo, and he looks like he's dieing...

~When Frodo is all cocooned up and looks like he's dead...

~Gollum holding the ring as he's falling into the lava, and that music plays. SUCH good music...

~Sam's door shutting at the end of the film, and then the words, "The End" appear... :cry:

I swear if this film doesn't win Best Picture at the Oscars this year, I'll boycot the Academy Awards forever... -_-
AlatarielofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2004 09:31
The whole movie!!! I've seen it three times now and all I can say is wow! Especially...
-Pippin's song :cry:
-Sam showing up in shelob's lair and in the tower
-Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli jumping out of the boats when the orks are expecting reinforcements
-The beacons
-When Merry and Pippin are separated...."I don't know whats going to happen, Pip":cry:
-Killing the Witch King
-The Rohhirim coming at the Battle of Pellanor fields
-Arwen arriving at the coronation:heart:
-Arwen's vision of her son:cry:
-When Arwen does the "The crownless again shall be King" poem
-Elrond giving Aragorn the sword
-the battle before the black gate ("For Frodo") :cry:
-Sam and Frodo laying on the rock after the ring is destroyed and Frodo can see the shire and Sam can see Rosie Cotton dancing
-When Frodo wakes up in minis Tirith and everyone comes in to greet him
-Faramir and Eowyn together:heart:
-Frodo sitting in Bilbo's desk, writing his book
-The grey havens...hobbits hugging, crying, Frodo's smile
-"I'm glad you're with me Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things"-"well, I'm back"

...and alot more
Lindir
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 03:51
The beacons lighting up along the mountain peaks. That scene gets me every time I see it - it's the combination of the music and scenery that just makes the hair raise on the back of my neck!!:love: I listen to The White Tree on the soundtrack, and it still has the same affect on me ... played loudly, of course, for full impact!!

Lindir
Orchrist
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 05:12
There's just so many; like Lindir I loved the beacons lighting on the mountain tops, Sam holding Frodo when he can't go any further, the scene where they're on the rock surrounded by lava thinking they're going to die.
When Denethor tells Faramir he wishes he had died instead, the look on his face is just heartbreaking,and Frodo saying goodbye to Sam, the first time I saw the movie that scene kept playing over and over in my head; well, basically, lets just say the whole thing!
bootsgrandma
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 06:43
:love:

1. Sam carrying Frodo
2. The grey Havens
3. Pippin's song
4. "For Frodo"
AH HECK! The whole blasted movie!!!!!

Poppy_Brook
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 06:52
Ok, as much as I want to say it was something by my all time faves, Merry and Pippin, I have to go with that one tiny moment where Frodo looks up at Mt. Doom and begins to crawl. The music changes to a subtle note that tears at my heart strings, the camera moves to mimic the Hobbit...its bliss...its magic...its bloody perfect!

:heart:
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 06:14
In no particular order...

- When Merry & Pip say their goodbyes at Edoras and Pip shouts, "MERRY!"
- When Eowyn pulls off her helmet and shouts, "I am no man!" and kills the Witch-king.
- Legolas and Gimli at the Black Gate
- Gandalf and Frodo leaving at Grey Havens
- Aragorn at the Black Gate when he says, "For Frodo"
- After the Ring is destoyed, Frodo embracing Sam as he weeps when he confesses his love for Rosie (awww :love: )
- The look on Frodo's face as he leaves Middle-Earth
- Gandalf explaining death to Pip as they wait for the Orcs to break into Minas Tirith

Oh and so many more... Those are the few that come to mind.
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 06:18
I have just a few - going to see it again this week some time.

The parting at the Grey Havens - sad but wonderful

Faramir's face when his father tells him he wishes he had died rather than Boromir - heart breaking

Frodo's look when he says he's keeping the ring

Sam's whole performance on the volcano/mountain - he's a great actor

Aragorn and Arwen meeting at the coronation - her peeking around the standard - his reaction to seeing her

I'm sure there were lots more. When I go and see it again I may remember more.

fosca44
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 08:31
After my first viewing:

Pippin's shocked and devastated face as Gandalf spurs Shadowfax on and they leave for Minas Tirith - it truly broke my heart when I heard that cry "Merry!"

And I don't have any clue why this stuck in my head, but Pippin swearing allegiance to Denethor, and his hesitation to kiss Denethor's ring

As well as the part where Shelob is crawling above ignorant Frodo, and you feel the urge to shout "Look up! Watch out!" - I think it's one of the most chilling things I've seen in a movie for years
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2004 10:14
*Most* memorable (visual) image? That would have to be Sam carrying Frodo up the mountain.

But up there with that are Eowyn standing defiant and helmetless before the Witch King; thousands of horses sweeping down into Pelennor Fields; and the look of evil on Frodo's face at Mount Doom.
MissShire
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2004 11:52
I have oh~so many, but I'll only post a few since I have the tendancy to get carried away...

*when everyone bows down to the hobbits
*when Aragorn walks up the the Black Gates then turns around and says "For Frodo."
*the sceen when everyone is taking up the battle cry then you see Eowyn and Merry start yelling too
*when Frodo is being held in the claws of the Eagle and he has that look on his face of relief and the look of "I did it."
*and the one that gives me chills EVERY time is when all those horses come galloping down the hill to join the battle. Amazing.

Again, I have SO many more, but I don't want to take up any more of your time!
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 03:15
A big one for me would be when Aragon says, "My friends, you bow to no one." I was absolutely bawling my eyes out at this point. What am I saying? I still cry everytime I watch it!
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 06:36
One? just one? So hard to choose! Any image from the Mount Doom sequence, from Sam holding Frodo to when they were carried off by the Eagles.
EvenstarPrincess435
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 12, 2004 02:59
Return of the King was sooo awesome! I loved it :love: I would never be able to pick just one the whole movie is sooo memorable. I'll only name a few of my favorites because if I named them all you'd be sitting here for ages! :blush: My MOST favorite ones are:
1) When the beacons were lit from Gondor to Rohan it's just one of the more emotional scenes, becuase it means war and death u know?
2) When Faramir and his men were coming back and they were being attacked by the Nazgul and Gandalf and Pippin came out and Gandalf shone the light and the Nazgul went away.
3) When Aragorn said, "My friends, you bow to no one." That part ALWAYS makes me get chills, it's sooo wonderful!
4) When Sam comes back to his home and says, "Well, I'm back." That was sooo lovely!
:love:
Lyse
~Arwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 10:48
the speech Aragorn makes when the fight in front of the Black Gate starts, and the image of everyone bowing to the hobbits in the coronation scene when Aragorn says "my friends, you bow to noone" *chills*
Sam's wedding (awww!!)

A big one for me would be when Aragon says, "My friends, you bow to no one." I was absolutely bawling my eyes out at this point. What am I saying? I still cry everytime I watch it!

I cry everytime I HEAR the song, in the exact time where I know that part happens, go figure

Aragorn, whispering "for Frodo..."...brilliant.

ditto
~Arwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 10:54
of course, there are more...just TOO many to mention, but I just wanted to point out...the kiss that Aragorn gives Arwen...daaaammnn!!
lotr_freak17
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2004 04:32
There are too many to pick from here are a few:
-The 4 hobbits at the Green Dragon
-Sam carrying Frodo
-Pippin singing (Faramir sacrificing his life)
-The Grey Haven scene
-Arwen & Aragorn meeting
-Merry fighting for Rohan
-Separating of Merry & Pippin
Miss_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2004 11:36
My most memorable moment from RotK was when gandalf and the eagles appeared to take frodo and sam home. It was the best part, because i hadnt read the book at that point, so i was thinking: are they really going to die?
arual88
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2004 12:09
My most memorable images have to be:
- Pippin's song as Faramir rides to Osgiliath (beautiful)
- Smeagol's song when Frodo is caught in Shelob's web (soon to be....EATEN!)
-
-The look on Smeagol's face when he finally gets his ring back.
-And of course "my friends, you bow to no one" What a line!

Totally awesome film but those are a few of my faves.
Tinuvie
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2004 03:21
The whole film blew me away, and will always be my favourite. I love 'Into the West' it's such a beautiful song, but here are some of my favourite moments:
-The lighting of the beacon fires
-The sound of the horn and the shot of the Rohirrim when they ride over the hill to Gondor.
-"I can't carry it for you Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you."
-Aragorn's speech before the black gates "Soldiers of Rohan, of Gondor, my brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear taht would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of Fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of men comes crashing down. But it is not this day. By all that you hold dear, on this good earth I bid you stand, Men of the West!!!"
I loved Eowyn and the witch king, because I loved that scene in the book, and of course all the endings "My friends, you bow to no one", Howard Shore's music...In fact everything about it....
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 13, 2004 02:11
There are so many

Sam and Frodo on the rock after the Ring has been destroyed

Aragorn when he says thanks to Legolas and Legolas tells him to look in Arwen direction (nonverbally)

Legolas and the Oliphant

Elrond saying 'Put aside the Ranger become who you were born to be'

Arwen asking Elrond to 'tell me what you have seen' and that whole bit about choosing mortality

The For Frodo bit at the Black gate

I could go on forever but there are just a few
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2004 03:27
Hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, how does anyone pick?

-when Arwen sees her son
-Merry and Pippin dancing and singing at Edoras
-Aragorn: "What does your heart tell you?"
-Pippin singing
-watching the orcs and trolls marching, and the sound of the drums
-"The dead do not suffer the living to pass," ......"You will suffer me!"
-Merry and Pippin running after Aragorn says "for Frodo!"

and so on, and so on!!!!!!!:love:
Dûngaladwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2004 07:20
You can't ask what is the most memorable moment, bcuz THE WHOLE MOVIE is memorable!:love:
Lathril_of_Aldeen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 05:33
-Pippin and Gandalf on the balcony at Minas Tirith (where it's obvious that Billy Boyd is standing on his knees). Especially where Pippin says, "I don't want to be in battle, but waiting on the edge of one is even worse." (My brother said something similar to me while he was waiting at his army base to be sent to Iraq. Apparently, waiting on the edge is worse! )

-Frodo waking up in Minas Tirith and seeing eveyone for the first time since Mount Doom.

-The shot where Frodo kisses Sam on the forehead before leaving for Valinor.

Is it strange that all of these shots have hobbits in them? I wonder what Freud would say about that?
Elvish4ever97
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2004 03:01
I can't believe no one said the shot of frodo when they are all crying outside of the mines and he gives you that death turn and stare like the whole world is gonna blow up! I mean common that is like totally memorable!!!!
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 04:00
My most memorable scenes from RotK
~When everybody bows to the hobbits. I mean, the music, the expressions, it's one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie! :heart:
~When Frodo's finger got bitten off. I knew it was coming, but that was gross. And bloody. Ouch! Not a good memorable image
~ Merry and Eowyn on the Pelennor Fields. It's so awesome when they kill the Witchking!
~The hobbits good-bye. The whole thing plays through my mind. *Wipes a tear* Lovely! :sob:
~ When Gimli says: "I never thought I'd die side by side with an elf." Legolas says "How about a friend?"
i_am_the_precious
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2004 11:35
the bit wen aragorn says 'you bow to noone'. i cry at taht every single time and ive seen it a lot!!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email