Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Worn_Traveler
Council Member
Send Message
Post Pirate RP: PM To Join
on: December 19, 2003 06:37
Benjamin "Bloody" Smith looked around at the crew- or what was left of it. Hm, Owen Windbock, the boatswain ahd miraculously survived- in a boat no less! The Quarter Master, fiery haired Brian, was alive, and then there was "Cut Throat" Bill. Benjamin wasn't surprised he had survived, he was among the strongest and best men on the ship, not to mention a natural leader- he took initiative.
Several others- O' Kelly, the Irish scum, was alive, and "Bloody" Ben regreted it. He was among the worst men on the ship- an alcholic, like most of them, but the thing was he drank all the time- in many a battle Ben had seen him sit down behind a tree, yank out a bottle of rum and drink, drink, drink.
Then there was several others that equally irratated Smith. There was the Spanish sailor who was too hot tempered and had already shot three men, then the English Johnson who had gotten them into many a fight by letting his mouth open and go on and on and on. There were barely any sea worthy sailors left besides the officers and Cut-Throat Bill.
Smith climbed up the main mast and inspected the sail. It had been ripped to shreds in the storm, and without it they would not sail nearly fast enough for the likes of Smith.
"Ahoy, there, Bill, get the crew together. We need to have a talk-" he glared at a few of the sailors drinking on the poop deck. "Get to work, ya land-lubbers! Curse the day the cap'n hired the lot of ya!" They immediately jumped up and began repauiring the sasils, rigs and ropes.
Their ship, the Barnacle Roost, had taken a beating during the storm. The Captain fell overboard, along with most of the crew, and the ship, laden with riches from a series of raids, had nearly sank. If not for Smith and Black, the ship would have foundered and sank, it's sails torn and it's crew killed.
Smith had been the first mate, and it was now time to elect a new Captain. They had to do that before anything, the ship would need someone to guide it, and very few common sialors could do that. Only the most experienced sailor would be able to sail without his main sail.
The remnant of the crew had assembled on deck. Sliding down a rope, Smith joined them and walked to the front of the circle where they stood.
"As ya all can see here, the ship is in need of a cap'n, with the rest of the crew overboard, may their souls rest in Davy Jones's Locker, may they rest in peace. Now, I'm the firs' mate, so a course, I'm the new cap'n. Any objections?"
O' Kelly stepped forward, in one hand a dagger and the other a bottle of wine he had looted. "You always was aimin to take over, well I'll see to it we take a better cap'n than you ever well be! I saw you push over the cap'n!"
There was a lid blast and a cloud of smoke. When it cleared, Smith was holding two pistols, one loaded and the other just fired. O' Kelly crumpled, slowly, and slithered to the ground. He was dead in seconds.
"Any other objections?" Smith asked, a smile on his face. No one spoke, or even breathed at that, except for maybe William Black, who didn't get his nickname "Cut throat Bill" from being a wimp. Smith shoved the two pistols in between his belt and sailors pants and smiled. "Alrighty, then. Bill, you're first mate, the rest of ya can have your old posts. Now, back to work on that sail, bilge rats!" The crew quickly scurried away, but Bill remained behind. The new Captain would have something to say to him.
Smith waited until the rest of the crew was busy with their tasks before beginning. "Bill, that treasure in the hold is worth alot of pieces a eight, and I want you to make sure that it's divided acordingly- one share for the crew, one and a half for the officers, and two for me. I aim ta buy a new ship with that there treasure, so make sure it stays in the hold. And the new code is bein enforced, as of now, matey. See to it that anyone 'aught breakin the rules is deal' with accordinly. We sail for Tortuga."
Bill nodded and stode off to the hold to divide the treasure. Smith walked up to the quarter master, Brian, and motioned towards the barrels of salted pork- the only food on board, and asked the question that had been bothering him ever sinse he had to throw most of the food overboard during the storm. "Do we have enough to reach Tortuga?"
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
Post RE: Pirate RP: PM To Join
on: December 19, 2003 07:46
"Cut-Throat" Bill walked over the deck of the Barnacle Roost his face grim and angry. They were on their way from a particulary bloody battle, when they were hit by a storm, which got rid of most the crew including the captain. Bill looked around at who was left, and the irritation in him welled. He saw to no surprise the "Bloody" Ben had survived. He knew that is would be near impossible to bring that man down. He was more of the attitude of kill now, ask later. More like himself. He did not get his name for being compassionate on others, especially when raiding a ship. Others of the crew survive, Owen Windbock, Brian, and then that slug of a man: O'Kelly. He was also a little frustrated that Johnson survived, shooting him a menacing look.

"Ahoy, there, Bill, get the crew together. We need to have a talk!" Bill turned to see the first-mate, Smith, yelling at him. Bill nodded and turned. "Alright, you scurvage dogs! You 'eard the firs' mate! Get yer sorry, good for nothin' butts up on deck!" he yelled, his voice deep and rough, as he walked around the deck, stamping below deck, rousing everyone together.

They all came, grumbling, their faces far from pleasant and nice. Bill just glared at them, daring any of them to step a toe out of line. If it weren't for him and Smith, the whole ship and crew would have been lost. Bill watched as Smith slid down a hanging rope and joined the crew.

"As ya all can see here, the ship is in need of a cap'n, with the rest of the crew overboard, may their souls rest in Davy Jones's Locker, may they rest in peace. Now, I'm the firs' mate, so a course, I'm the new cap'n. Any objections?"

Bill said nothing, not one to show his emotions on his sleeve. It wouldn't have been wise to disagree anyways, especially to a pirate such as Smith. O'Kelly soon found that out.

O' Kelly stepped forward, in one hand a dagger and the other a bottle of wine he had looted. "You always was aimin to take over, well I'll see to it we take a better cap'n than you ever well be! I saw you push over the cap'n!" he yelled, in his Irish lilt. The fool was obviously drunk, but a fool none the less and he had to be dealt with. Bill just shook his head.

There was a lid blast and a cloud of smoke. When it cleared, Smith was holding two pistols, one loaded and the other just fired. O' Kelly crumpled, slowly, and slithered to the ground. He was dead in seconds.

"Any other objections?" Smith asked, a wicked smile curling on his face. No one spoke, or even breathed at that, except Bill. He didn't fear "Bloody" Ben, he had seen far worse and didn't come by his name for a being a coward none-the less. Smith shoved the two pistols in between his belt and sailors pants and smiled. "Alrighty, then. Bill, you're first mate, the rest of ya can have your old posts. Now, back to work on that sail, bilge rats!"

All of the crew scuttled off, like the rats they were, but Bill remained behind, his eyes glowing with malice, awaiting his orders.

"Bill, that treasure in the hold is worth alot of pieces a eight, and I want you to make sure that it's divided acordingly- one share for the crew, one and a half for the officers, and two for me. I aim ta buy a new ship with that there treasure, so make sure it stays in the hold. And the new code is bein enforced, as of now, matey. See to it that anyone 'aught breakin the rules is deal' with accordinly. We sail for Tortuga."

"Aye sir" Bill nodded in his gruff voice, as he turned around and went down into the hold. The treasure that filled the hold was immense and would have sunk the Barnacle if Smith and himself had not acted quickly. Bill set about, dividing the treasure, his still dirty and bloody hands tarnishing the gold and precious things. His lip curled at the fact that Smith would get more than him, he was not by far a better pirate and there was plenty here to get a new ship withough taking the better share. As he made the piles, Bill put the better of the treasure into his own, hiding it, but also making sure that a good share of it went to Smith, so as not to arouse his suspicion. It is true that Bill didn't fear Smith, but he was also a man not to be crossed with. The task was done, the rest of the crew maybe getting a scanty share and giving himself a slightly better one than the rest of the officers, but not so much to be noticable.

So they were headed to Tortuga, Bill thought. What scoundrels will we meet there, he wondered. His face darkened, and he cracked his knuckles at the thought of picking up more worthless crewmates. They already had plenty of those.

With the job done, Bill made his way back on deck and nodded to the new Captain Smith. He then turned away and went off to yell at one of the crew who was doing an awful job of repairing the ship to make it ready to sail.

Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 09:37
"I'm not going back!" hissed the captive in a menacing tone. Cathrine Morgan stared hard at the British naval officer who towered over her. He was grinning with satisfaction.
"My dear girl" he began in a mocking tone "I don't know what your worried about. Your little family reunion won't last long, you're going to the gallows in the morning."
"I doubt it." said Cathrine flattly.
"Oh, really!" he said laughing, clearly amused. "I'm sorry to tell you, Miss Morgan, but your little escapaid is over. And how exactly did you plan to escape? I don't remeber giving you a choice in the matter. What are you going to do? Shoot me?"
"Don't tempt me." she all but spat at him.
"You don't have a gun and your hands are tied." He laughed quietly.
That's it! I've had enough of you, bub...
Cathrine rose to her feet, grinning fiendishly as she revealed her unbound hands to Commador Talbot.
"You've got a point, Commmador. I don't have a gun." she said in a pleasant tone. She took a step forward. Talbot didn't move, he just stared at her.
Without warning she lunged forward and snatched his loaded pistol from its place on his hip. She leapt back a step and cocked the gun, pointing at his chest.
"That's alright," she said grinning "I'll you use yours"
For a long moment neither moved. A look of rage was kindled in the man's eyes. He couldn't take it any longer. He flew forward, yelling like a mad man and grabbing for the gun. A shot rang out, but it went wide. When the smoke cleared, he was standing with one arm wrapped around Cathrine's throat and the other holding the gun to her temple. "I'll show you what it's like to challenge a man, you filthy little wretch!" he roared.
"What are you gonna' do? Kill me?" she shot back.
It wasn't the smartest thing to say.
With all his strength, Talbot flung the young woman against the wall. She crumbled to the floor, coughing and choking. She heard the cell door slam shut with a metallic clang and found herself in the dark.
So ended Cathrine Morgan's second night in Tortuga.

((Morgan talks more like a proper Englishman than pirate, right now, but don't worry, the pirate dialect will rub off ))
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 11:55
Brian calmly watched Smith ask if there were any other objections. At first it started "him" a little bit, but by this time Brian never gave a second thought. Brian took a knife that had been on the ship and shoved it into his belt to replace the one he had lost to the sea.

Brian quickly counted the pillaged bottles of wine and a few other pirates were happy to add a bottle or two to the supply.

Hearing Smith's voice Brian turned to him. He hated to give Smith half answers. "There is a chance." Brian answered. "If we have to we can strain the rations to make it last. If we have to we can throw a line over and fish so we don't starve. Tortuga isn't that far away. If we have good sailing we can make it last. The good news is our weapon supply has been replenished." Brian answered. He had a bit of a scrape on his face, quite a few cuts, and various bumps and bruises, but other than that he was alright.

Brian didn't feel the need to be seen by the doctor. He also felt that he didn't need to have any part of his anatomy removed by the doctor for having a bruise, a bump, or a cut on it.

Brian took nothing from anybody and just about all the pirates knew it. Brian had once drove his knife into the table inbetween him and another pirate who tried to rob him. He knew how to fire a pistol and weild one too. Brian was good at counting and had a head for figures, that was why he was made quarter master. Brian also knew how to fish and fish well.

What no one except Brian knew was that he was infact a she! Brian had originally been named Brianna and hid her secret well. No living man ever knew of her secret and she would kill any man who found out.

Brianna had left her family and escaped to avoid an arranged marriage. She had disguised herself as a boy and shined shoes until she was made a cabin boy. Her ship had been taken by pirates and she had been bounced around until she came under her current Captain. She had adapted to pirate life fairly well.
Worn_Traveler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 12:57
"There is a chance." Brian answered. "If we have to we can strain the rations to make it last. If we have to we can throw a line over and fish so we don't starve. Tortuga isn't that far away. If we have good sailing we can make it last. The good news is our weapon supply has been replenished."

Smith was relieved instantly. "Well 'at's good news," he stated, looking towards the barrels of pork. "I sent the mate to coun' up the loot, so that's somethin you won't be doin- besides, by the time you've 'anded out these weapons to the crew we'll be in harbor at Tortuga, and there won't be time to count up the loot then." With that he turned and observed the pirates repairing the ship.

They were sailors, of course, but above all they were pirates- fighters- and they weren't exactly the best of those, but they were least of all seamen. They could barely tell a sloop from a gunship or the main mast from a secondary. The sloop they were in would have been in terrible condition, if the boatswain Owen had'nt been there. He was currently directing the repair of the ship, extremely irratated at the fact that barely any of the pirates were making anything better.

Smith strode over to the boatswain and silently informed him they were heading to Tortuga. "But don't tell the crew- they'll drink and 'et so drunk they won't be good for us for days. Just make sure this 'ere boat is ready to sail by the time we reach Tortuga- I halways wanted me own flag ship, but if worst comes to worst 'an she's beyon savin, at least have the boarding boats ready. Just incase we 'ave ourselves a bit of prey before we reach 'arbor. Got it?" Without a response, Smith turned to the crew. "Alright, me mateys, git to work bafore I get you ta work someone place else, eh? And you there, Owen, be a good man an' have her ready to sail- or else you'll be joinin O' Kelly, eh!" With that, he disapeared below deck, leaving the control of the ship to the officers. He was ready to get someone new, if they didn't do their jobs right, and he made sure they were well aware of that when he gave a parting comment from inside his cabin through the floorboards. "Anybody up there slackin off 'an 'ave your hands tied and yur feet walkin the plank, so get lively!" to his amusement, he thought he heard the footsteps begin to quicken in pace, like rats scurrying out of their slumber after being caught in the bilge.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 02:19
In Tortuga:
Kalispel Andover rumaged around in his pocket and brought out some coins, which he then set on the table in front of him. He took a swig from his mug and glanced angrily at the tavern keeper on the other side of the room, as the he others laid their coin on the table. The rum was watered down, as usual, but if that's what the consequence was for cheap drink, then that's what it was. The room buzzed noisily and roars of bawdy laughter erupted now and then. Serving maids jostled about, serving men their drinks, and trying not to come too close to any of the distatseful ones. A lovely blue-eyed maid with curly black hair nudged past Kalispel. It was unusual to see uncolored women working here, in Tortuga. He smiled charmingly at her, and nodded politely. A slight blush creeped up her cheeks and she lowered her head. Kalispel grinned and quickly returned his attention to the group of people around him. Another young man, Taylor, Kalispel thought his name was, handed him a pair of dice. He took them in both hands hoping his luck wouldn't fail him, and let them fall to the table.
'Hah! Snake eyes!' Kalispel grin grew wider as he happily collected the money on the table. 'Pleasure doin' business with you boys, but I'm out for the night,' Kalispell said, stuffing the various coins in his pocket. The men around the table glared grudgingly at him. They knew Kalispel didn't cheat, but all the same, they didn't like him much anymore.
After pushing the rickety chair under the table, Kalispel headed for the door, but stopped by the tavern owner on the way. He set his mug down on the counter, none too gently and and looked at the round man for a moment. Turning away, he sighed, deciding he should save his breath. The man wouldn't change his ways, and Kalispel knew it wasn't worth it. he thrust the door open and stepped on to the night streets of Tortuga.
((Hope that was okay!!! It may take me a few posts to gt used to the time period, so bear with me if I'm a little off.....))

[Edited on 21/12/2003 by Vende]
ladyknight1224
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 03:10
In Tortuga

Edward Cook was wandering in the dirty streets of Tortuga, unaware of were he was, or how to get out of there.

He had just hit the shore in a small boat, with nothing but a few pieces of food, an empty bottle, and a sack with a few articles of clothing stored inside. He then looked down at the clothes he was currently wearing. His white shirt was now a dirty gray color, for it was sweat stained, and extreamly dirty. His pants had been cut off at the ankle, and he wore no shoes. His brown skin was streaked with sea spray, sweat, and dirt, while his short black hair was covered in dust.

He had tried to pack light, for escaping from a very popular ship yard, stealing some clothes from his master, and leaving without his consent should be done very quietly and carefully.

He moved his head from side to side, trying to find somewhere to sleep for the night. He saw a tavern on his left, and he stopped to look at the sign swinging back and forth on rusty iron chains. The sign was so dirty, that he could not make out the name of the tavern. He went up to the front of the tavern, and opened the door when he was suddenly was bumped into by a strange fellow.

[Edited on 20/12/2003 by ladyknight1224]
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 03:11
Smith was relieved instantly. "Well 'at's good news," he stated, looking towards the barrels of pork. "I sent the mate to coun' up the loot, so that's somethin you won't be doin- besides, by the time you've 'anded out these weapons to the crew we'll be in harbor at Tortuga, and there won't be time to count up the loot then." With that he turned and observed the pirates repairing the ship.

Brian nodded his understanding. "I'll hand them out first thin' after we move the food bellow decks." Brian took a breath as he took hold of one of the barrels and began to help move the food and wine down bellow decks. He had to constantly shoo away other pirates who might try to "tap the admiral" so to speak. "Git away!" He shouted at them while waving his hands. "Yer gonna have to earn yer keep before you git any of this." He scolded them. "The ship must be fixed before there be any celebration. Yer gonna have to prove yer worth to Cap'n Smith first."

Once the food and drink was safely secured Brian began to check the weaponry and the amunition. After he was satisfied he began to hand them out to his fellow pirates who survived the experience first. The men he felt he could trust. The others would have to wait until Brian knew he could trust them or until he knew they wouldn't try to revolt.

After tying a few knots into a bit of a net Brian took the best weapon they had and knocked on Smith's door. "Here you are, Cap'n. Finest weapon I could find for you." Brian said. "We've moved all the food and drink to where it'll be safe. I've handed out the weaponry to our friends who survived our battle. I haven't handed them out to the others yet. I've got to get back to repairing our ropes."

((I also posted in the OCC about the days I'll be gone due to my grandpa having a stroke. I didn't know where else to post and figured that'd be the best spot. Oh, and tapping the admiral was an actual phrase. PM me if you want to hear the story behind it.))

[Edited on 20/12/2003 by yankeegirl]
Keriann
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 06:49
John was sitting up on the slope overlooking Tortuga. He was sitting just inside the overhang that the trees provided. On his spot he could see everything that there was too see in the city. There was a small abandoned cottage just out of sight where he had been staying. He had found it abandoned when he first arived here, after running away from his job on a "Fancy Ship".

The light from the rising moon revieled a tall, lanky boy of 15. His dirty brown hair was messed up from the ocean breezes. His fair skin was also dirty, but he was dressed in breeches, and a shirt.

Down in the city he could see movement at the tavern. He rarely went in there, but accasionally he was up for a game of dice, which he never won because of that fellow Kalispel. Apperantly a couple of people had collided in the doorframe. With a sigh, he got up deciding that he would go watch the oncoming fight that was likly to occur

(Starting out in the woods is a tradition for me )

[Edited on 20/12/2003 by midnightlego13]
Thonnas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2003 07:36
((OOC: Here comes the boatswain! I also think it would help if you put "In Tortuga" or "Barnacle Roost" at the top of your post so we's can keep track of where we ares.))

Barnacle Roost
Owen Windbock listened to the first mate, Bloody Benjamin Smith, bark out orders. "As ya all can see here, the ship is in need of a cap'n, with the rest of the crew overboard, may their souls rest in Davy Jones's Locker, may they rest in peace. Now, I'm the firs' mate, so a course, I'm the new cap'n. Any objections?"

O' Kelly stepped forward, in one hand a dagger and the other a bottle of wine he had looted. "You always was aimin to take over, well I'll see to it we take a better cap'n than you ever well be! I saw you push over the cap'n!"
"Any other objections?" Smith asked, a smile on his face. No one spoke, or even breathed at that. Smith shoved the two pistols in between his belt and sailors pants and smiled. "All-righty, then. Bill, you're first mate, the rest of ya can have your old posts. Now, back to work on that sail, bilge rats!" The crew quickly scurried away.

Owen was used to being barked at by his superiors. Their old captain wasn’t much different, and Owen hadn’t been saddened when they lost him to the sea.

He took a glance at all the sailors around him. Most were inexperienced when it came to ships, and that was a bad thing to have when you were trying to repair one.
“Aw, Rudy! Get back to work, stop pickin’ your fingernails!”

“Come on, Hastof! You’re tearin’ this ship apart! Or what’s left of it!”

“Rudy, what did I say! I’m gonna chop your finger off!”

He was still checking the masts, seeing what was wrong with the ship and what they could fix when Smith strode over to the boatswain and silently informed him they were heading to Tortuga. "But don't tell the crew- they'll drink and 'et so drunk they won't be good for us for days. Just make sure this 'ere boat is ready to sail by the time we reach Tortuga- I halways wanted me own flag ship, but if worst comes to worst 'an she's beyon savin, at least have the boarding boats ready. Just incase we 'ave ourselves a bit of prey before we reach 'arbor. Got it?" Without a response, Smith turned to the crew. "Alright, me mateys, git to work bafore I get you ta work someone place else, eh? And you there, Owen, be a good man an' have her ready to sail- or else you'll be joinin O' Kelly, eh!" With that, he disappeared below deck, leaving the control of the ship to the officers.

Owen was furious! “Tortuga, he says! And like we’re in any position to get there with this sorry resemblance of a ship! I sometimes wonder if that Bloody Ben knows a darned thing about boats, for this is about to sink.

“Rudy, I’ll give you ten seconds to run!”
Worn_Traveler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 11:09
Barnacle Roost

There was a knock on the door of Smith's quarters. He looked opened it, and there was Brian. "Here you are, Cap'n. Finest weapon I could find for you." Brian said. "We've moved all the food and drink to where it'll be safe. I've handed out the weaponry to our friends who survived our battle. I haven't handed them out to the others yet. I've got to get back to repairing our ropes."

"Good work, lad. Now get to those ropes, and tell Cut-throat that the men 'ave got to be ready to fight on the morrow, so if anyone is in need of medicine or 'njunred, bring 'em down to the quarters. And no rum for the crew until they've fixed me ship! He's in the bilge, countin up me-" he paused and corrected himself. "Our treasure. Now lively, lad!"

After Brian had left, Smith took out a chain of several long skeleton key and walked over to the chest in one of the corners of the room. It had belonged to the previous Captain, and he was eager to see what was inside. He was hoping for some rum, but he doubted it was anything more that personal effects.

Smith fitted s couple of the keys in before he got a good match. He unlocked it, heard the "click" of the lock, and slowly opened the lid. "come on, rum!" he thought. He opened it up-and fell backwards!

There, in humungous heaps, was gold, silver, gemstones, dubloons, pieces of eight, every currency of the world! Glass beads, fine wines, pearls galore! But it was not these that made Smith fall back- it was the aged, yellow paper on top of it all.

Smith looked at it, and there on the map was roughly every main island in the Caribbean. And in red ink were lines drawn from one to another- and on the path were drawn huge ships- the Spanish Treasure fleet.

Smith considered this carefully- the fleet had been dying off lately, and were traveling in smaller and smaller convoys. Easy, big targets. They couldn't go fast- the only problems were the guns. They carried up to one hundred and twenty cannons on each- Smith had been a sailor for the fleet before he became a Pirate, and well knew the risks of attacking one. He had helped sink many a pirate ship before he became one- only well planned attacks were successful. And this map was the key to planning everything. Smith thought for a second. "This here ship, a sloop, aint good enough to attack one of those monsters. They'd git blone away and sink to Davey Jones's locker before we even got close. But, what we need here is a gunship- a diversion!"

Smith locked the chest and leaned out of his door, facing the hold. "Bill- git over here! I've got a proposition for ye!"
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 02:41
In Tortuga:
"Watch where your walkin'" Kalispell growled as somwone bumped into him. He glanced up to see dark skinned, brown-eyed, younger man looking at him. He appeared somewhat bewildered, as if he wasn't sure where he was. Kalispel raised an eyebrow. "If your lost," he grinned " I suggest you find some place to stay. This part of Tortuga can be unfriendly at times,' he snickered. By this time, a young man with disheveled brown hair had made his way into the street. Kalispel recognized him from several games of dice, of course, he had won. 'You're the lucky one, this time, kid, I was just leaving,' Kalispel smirked.
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 03:16
Barnacle Roost

"Good work, lad. Now get to those ropes, and tell Cut-throat that the men 'ave got to be ready to fight on the morrow, so if anyone is in need of medicine or 'njunred, bring 'em down to the quarters. And no rum for the crew until they've fixed me ship! He's in the bilge, countin up me-" he paused and corrected himself. "Our treasure. Now lively, lad!"

"Right, Cap'n." Brian said. He quickly and quietly shut the door as he left. He jumped onto a small barrell and scanned the crowd. He could see nervous men staring back at him. "Are any of you gents injured?" He demanded. "If you are, step forward!" When no one moved Brian frowned and folded his arms. "I know some of you gents are lyin'! Some of you are injured! I'm gonna take you to see our Doctor who's bellow deck in the quarters." Brian jumped off the barrel once he saw a few men step forward. One looked badly injured while the others weren't so severely hurt. "Right, come with me!" He ordered as he spun around. He quickly led them to the doctor. "Here you are, Doctor. Cap'n says we can all have our rum once we fix up the ship."

Brian hopped up the stairs to make another announcement. "Our cap'n says no rum or anything until this ship here is fixed up! In the meantime, it's best to look alive." He shouted.

Once he was done he went back to the ropes. Some could easily be repaired or tied into knots to be fixed. Others would have to be scrapped. What was it that sailors in the navy used to fix their ropes. Something called crochet, Brian remembered. He had heard of a few stitches and it may be what was needed to fix their ropes.

((Sailors really did use crochet back then to help fix their nets. It's really amazing what you can get from some books.))
Keriann
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 05:55
[/i]Tortuga[/i]

John ignored Kalispell's rude comment about his luck with dice,
and proceded to the boy that he had just collided with in the
bar. The boy had brown skin that was very dirty. "Are you lost?" John asked. The boy replied that he had just run away,
and that this was his first time in Tortuga.

"Come on, I have a house up on the hill if you're interested he told the boy." After thinking it over he replied that he would be glad to have someplace to stay, that was out of the city. "By the way," John said, "my name is John what's yours?"
The somewhat muffled voice replied that his name was
Edward.

They started off up the hill, but something was troubling John. Very few people ran off to Tortuga, except those that wanted to live the pirates life. Was his older friend one of these. Finally he couldn't take it anymore. John stopped dead in his tracks, startling Edward, and asked, "Why are you in Tortuga, do you wish to become a pirate?"

Later he might wish that he hadn't been so hasty, but John always spoke his mind nomatter what.
goldenberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2003 11:37
((i was gona wait till the ship had landed.... but i am starting to get too impashent.))

tortuga

Foxlea Bate's got shoved threw the massive crouded streets of Tortuga. his so called 'master' or captin haroosa was dragging him by the arm towards the nearist pub so he could get drunk and gamble. and Foxlea is just to sit their makeing shour the men dont cheat and looking at their cards. this was always his role and if he dint do it properly he would get a beating. he dint care much, it was only when the captin yanked his hair and dragged im around on the ship insulting him did he start to care. he would never argue back or complain. for unlike the other crew he was a slave. he had been since he was eight and he was starting to get fed up with being bourt and bourt over and over again. he rolled his eyes as the captin pushed him to the floor by his chair and started in a gameof poker. Foxlea had been temptin a' many time to tell the other men that his captin kept a royal flush under his hat ready incase someone bet big.
Foxlea gave a yawn and watch while the captin strarted to get himself drunk. after his ninth beer Foxlea was pritty shour the captin was seeing double. so quitely he slipped out of his sight and legged it for the door, skidding out into the cold streets with the folling shouts from the peopke who had noticed.
"AF'TER IM'!"
not dareing to look back he ran down an allyway into anouther street and down anouther. he dint stop running until he was shour his followers where gone. then comeing out of the shadow he walked down the street happily.
he had finaly done it, mounths of planning and raiding of the weapon room and treashure supply had finaly got him out of that hell hole. but he knew someone would recornise him, he needed to get employed and fast, if he was under the governings of anouther captin then he would be safe. he looked around the shop stools for a while bored and not knowing what to do. he checked that none of the money he had stolen or the weapons he had 'borrowed' had came off. but they where all their.
he wonderd around a while more before he was grabbed and pulled into an ally. five pirates two of whome he recornised as the ones his old captin gambled with the rest his dint know.
"ha! we found ye now boy! and i'de say you'll get a thurrer beating for this one!" said one of them. but foxlea had came up with a way out of this one.
"proove that i belong to im'!" he snapped at them, the pirates staired at him.
"proove that i belong to ol'd haroosa!" Foxlea smiled, he knew they had no way.
"is righ't, jim. we got no proof'" said one on the right.
"i'll blow is brain's out before i lets im' go!" snapped the one called jim pulling out a pistole and pointing it at Foxlea's head.
*bang!* let off a pistole some of the pirates flinched as jim fell to the floor dead. Foxlea had got out one of his own pistoles and shot him.
"now if you'd kind'ly gent's would just get a' movin on now" foxlea said pointing his pistol and anouthers heaad. the others shuffled off leaveing dead jim to decay.
putting the pistole back in his belt he smiled to himself.
"god i love freedom!" as he walked into a pib near the port front to get himself a bottel of rum.

((this long enouth for you? or do you want it longer?))

[Edited on 21/12/2003 by goldenberry]
ladyknight1224
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 06:59
In Tortuga

"Do you always ask people of their past at stupid moments?" Edward asked. He knew that he could easily beat this snippet of a boy into a pulp, but decided to wait to become a pirate for that.

"Its a long story, kid. We best go inside." He grabbed the boy's thin shoulder, and pushed him into the cabin. It had a small straw bed in the corner, with a wooden table, and two chairs. The floor had been swept clean by a twig broom that lay across the floor. "You keep a tight ship little one. My own quarters weren't as nice as this one."

He turned to the boy and smiled. The boy was impatianly tapping his foot, and waiting for Edward to answer his question. "All right John, here's the story. I had worked at a coffee house from the time I was six. I have worked there ever since a few days ago, liftin' barrels and such. Now, I want to become a pirate. I'm sick of workn' there, and my master has a tendincy to not treat me so nicely." He waited for the boy to ponder about his long intro, and to give him a response.
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 04:58
Bill continued to through money into the piles, grunting occasionaly over a real big piece. It was the same under every command, yet this time Smith changed the rules a bit. He finally was able to invoke the code he had been talking about for so long.

Bill perked his ears and slowly stood up as he heard footsteps enter the hold. Grabbing his dagger into his hand, he waited silently until the right moment. Swiftly turning around, he caught the sailor by surprise, Bill's strong and big arm, covered in tatoos covering his throat, his other hold his blade up to his belly, ready to strike. Bill grinned menacly showing his capped teeth, as he saw it was Brian. Brian cowered a bit, and Bill grunted and started to chuckle as he released the lad. Brian rubbed his throat as he watched Bill

"What d'ya want?" Bill barked out.

"Just came down to give you this," Brian exclaimed as he handed Bill his weapon. "Also Capt'n said to have the men ready to fight on the morrow and also to have the injured be. . seen by the doc. I have already informed most of the men."

Bill nodded, "Right. Now back to work!"

Brian left in a hurry and went off to do his duties. Bill watched him go and started to laugh at himself in a crazy way. "The injure'd to the doc. . at least it will lighten the boat some."

Growling to himself he bent over and started to tally the rest of the treasure when he heard Smith yell down to him.

"Bill- git over here! I've got a proposition for ye!"

Bill straightened again and looked up the hold stairs just in time to see Smith's boot swish out of sight. Narrowing his eyes shrewdly he walked up the stairs and made sure to secure the hold door behind him. Turning to the other crew members he barked out, "If any of ya touch this here door or even think about taking any of the treasure, ya'd wish that the doc was the only person ya had to face. This here boat seems to be too heavy and it's been high time we lighten her belly."

Turning on his heel, he left the sailors to their own imaginations. Bill had twice over weighed and counted the treasure, if anything was taken, he'd know about it. He entered the captain's room without knocking, closing the door behind him. Smith was bent over the table examing something. He looked up and grinned as he saw Bill enter. Bill looked back, pulling out his dagger to clean under his fingernails.

"So, "Bloody" Ben. Whatcha have in mind?" he growled out in his low, rough voice.
Worn_Traveler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 06:59
Barnacle Roost

Bill entered the captain's room without knocking, closing the door behind him. Smith was bent over the table examing something. He looked up and grinned as he saw Bill enter. Bill looked back, pulling out his dagger to clean under his fingernails.

"So, "Bloody" Ben. Whatcha have in mind?" he growled out in his low, rough voice.

Smith handed him the yellowed piece of paper. "This was the cap'n's bafore he was killed. Take a look- do you know what these here red lines are?"

Bill studied the map and shook his head no. "These are the treasure fleet's trade routes- they carry hundreds of tons of treasure and trad out each year, but the thing is it's dyin'- they travel in convoys with less than ten ships now, if my guesses are correct. With this here map we can know exactly where every ship will be and when- the key to ambushin 'em!"

Bill looked at him in doubt. "With a sloop?! Any fool knows we'd get blown away by a convoy in this here ship, weather it be in good condition or not-"

Smith cut him off. "Ai, that part is true, but don't take me for less than a fool. With all this treasure we got here in the hold, zI was thinkin more along the lines of one of them gunships in the harbor!"

Buill was still uncertain. "Even with a hundred cannons, we still aint gonna be able to take on a the Treasure Fleet! You fool, you aint got the right to be cap'n on this ship, you don't know a thing 'bout it!" Bill raised a threataning dirty dagger up to Smith's neck.

"Put it down, Bill. No need for mut'ny on my ship! I aint no fool- the gunship won't fight any treasure fleet and win, that's for sure!"

"Than what would you get the damned thing for?!" Bill was getting angry at the Captain for his seemingly ludicrous logic.

"We get the gunship so that it can briefly engage the warships- while the sloop sneeks in and takes the treasure ships. They're slow, lightly armed and lightly manned. Easily taken by a crew of fitty or less. The sloop fills up with treasure, makes a run for the shore, and dumps it. We can catch up again and take the rest of the convoy- until we've got it all! The convoys go slow- we could make plenty of trip from the high seas to the island, and still catch up with them each time.

"Now, Bill, is the part where you come in. I want you to be Cap'n of the gunship."

Bill put the dagger back in his belt- not answering yes, but not ready to say no either. "And what of me share of the treasure- what will I get while you're loadin up with treasure?"

"Your men will get a full share of the treasure- and you will get two. And, as a little hm, down payment, you might say-" he held out his hand to Bill and slowly dropped several coins into his hand. "For your service, for your stength, for your cooperation-" he paused, turned and kicked open the chest filled to the top with treasure. "And an even half of that'll be yours at the end- for your loyalty, which is yet to be considered."

"Ai," Bill drawled out slowly. "Partners, you say?"

"Ai, partners! Equal in every way- and when we're finished fightin, you can take any capture boat you wish- and pretty soon we'll have our own little fleet! What says you?"

Bill nodded slowly, then a bit more vigourously. He spit into his palm and held it out to Smith. Smith took it, shook, and shouted "Ai!" heartily.

Tortuga

Smith hopped off the ship and landed on the deck with a light thud. he surveyed the seen- drunken Pirates everywhere. The kind of people he would need- easily conviced to sign on, and cannon fodder.

Bill and the other officers shortly were next to Smith, their figures dark and shadowy in the night. They all started off towards the ebst recruiting place- the local pub.

Smith strode into the middle of the room and shot a pistol into the air. No one even took notice of him. In frustration he turned and shot the bar owner behind the counter. every one was dead silent.

"That's the second one this week!" Someone called out through the silence. Smith took no notice of him, it wasn't uncommon for bartenders to get shot- they were the first people you see after you lost your girl, money, or anything for that matter.

Smith addressed the crowd. "Hello, people of Tortuga. The name's Benjamin- Bloody Benjamin- Smith. I'm lookin for seaworthy men- ambitious ones willing to go to the ends of the earth to get rich, spoil, plunder, steal, murder, burn, kill, and enjoy themselves immensly."

Nearly the entire bar rushed out of their seats.

"That was a good one, gotta remember those lines," Smith whispered to his officers right before the wave of Pirates hit. "Oh, and tell your friends too! I'm lookin for a navigator!" Smith shouted above the din of the crowd.

"Hey, that'd be Morgan!" someone shouted.

"Where be he?" Smith asked in response.

"In the jail- he's gonna be hung tommorrow!"

"Bill, see that that's changed- me ship needs a navigator, and this Morgan sounds like the right type- jailbird!" he cakled, all the while the rush of pirates getting closer. "Sign on, me mateys! Oh, and I like to know a bit about me crew before they get on me ship, so don't be afraid to tell old Ben your plight, eh! Bartender, get a round of ale for these fine-" he looked and saw that he'd shot the bartender. "Owen, go fetch these men some rum!"

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by Worn_Traveler]
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 21, 2003 07:32
Bill entered the dark dank pub, the place full of brawls and fight. He raised an eyebrow in disgust. He hardly held approval for any pirate until they earned it, which was close to never. Smith's voice faded into the din, until a bang rang out, bring Bill to attention again. The bartender fell over dead before he hit the ground. The call for more crew members was answered with eagerness. Scum crawled all over Bill as they tried to get closer to Ben. Bill just shoved them off, daring anyone to touch him again. They all eyed him nervously and then continued on to Ben, steering clear of Bill.

"Oh, and tell your friends too! I'm lookin for a navigator!" Smith shouted above the din of the crowd.

"Hey, that'd be Morgan!" someone shouted.

"Where be he?" Smith asked in response.

"In the jail- he's gonna be hung tomorrow!"

"Bill, see that that's changed- me ship needs a navigator, and this Morgan sounds like the right type- jailbird!" he cakled, all the while the rush of pirates getting closer. "Sign on, me mateys! Oh, and I like to know a bit about me crew before they get on me ship, so don't be afraid to tell old Ben your plight, eh! Bartender, get a round of ale for these fine-" he looked and saw that he'd shot the bartender. "Owen, go fetch these men some rum

Bill nodded and turned, leaving the rum behind. There will be plenty of other opportunities for drinking later, and he always preferred his rum in a more quiet setting anyways, without any filthy rats who call themselves sailors brawling all over his table. He was a gambler also, and always liked a nice long game of dice or cards over his drink, which they would not be having this night. Growling at the crowd, they made way for him as he left the pub, quickly filling in the gap at his wake.

"Damn rats," he cursed silently under his breath. Looking around, the air was warm and dank on his skin as he made his way to the jail. The air stank of a filthy, putrid smell, like decaying animals. The night was dark, but lit up from the glow coming from bar and harlot windows. No night for pleasure, this night was all business.

Reaching the jailhouse the guards stood up, rum heavy on their breath. "Yer can't pass,"one pig-like guard drawled. "This is only fer persons bein' hanged ‘morrow." They pointed their guns at Bill, the nozzles swaying unsteadily. Bill just sighed, rolling his eyes before pulling out his pistol and shooting the both of them. As they fell, Bill just laughed.

"Wanna run that by me again? Didn't think so," growled Bill as he stepped over their dead bodies. No one really took much notice to him, that happened very often and no one dared to go up against Bill, him having a nasty look on his face.

The doors clanged open as he made his way down the steps, pushing another guard down them in front of him. He found himself where the cells were, full of pirates ready to hanged on the morrow. Holding up his pistol, Bill yelled to the crowd.

"Me name is "Cut-Throat" Bill and I be looking for a one Morgan." Waiting for a response, all the pirates started to yell and grope through their bars, yelling that they were Morgan. Bill sighed again and cocked his pistol, pointing it at a pirate. "Now who be the real Morgan," he whispered maliciously. The pirate backed away stammering, and pointing towards a cell further down. Bill looked that way, the cell being at the end of the hall in darkness. He looked back at the cowering pirate and nodded, "Me thanks." He then shot the man and moved on mumbling under his breath, "But I don't take a liking to cowards.

Waling up to the last cell, his boats clicking on the stone, echoing through the now silent corridor, for none of the other pirates dared to speak up, he stopped in front of the bars and stared. He couldn't believe his eyes. He found himself facing a woman. Growling under his breath he started to walk away.

"Hey! Aren't you going to free me?" Morgan cried out. "I am the person you are looking for!"

Bill stopped. "No the person I be looking for is a pirate! One who knows how to navigate, not some upstart lass who doesn't know her place. This be a man's domain and a man's job!" he said quietly through the bars. "We be takin' on no woman. . tis dangerous bad luck it is."

(Ooc: have fun convincing Bill Vanimacar! :evil: )

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by woodstar]
goldenberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 12:35
Foxlea stared up at the vast ship's, he was standing on the dock when on ship came in. this one unlike the rest was in a right state and it was more or wreak then a ship. he had seen less holes in a spunge. thow by the looks of their shourt crew they would be imploying. Foxlea smiled to himself, he was a freeman and now he was going to bag himself a job with what looked like real pirates. he followed the captin of the crew and his men at a distance to the local (and nearist) pub. and waited for them to get inisde. a few seconds later a pistole shot. and a few dozen people ran out of the door, in either fright or in eagerness to get their friends. he waited pashently for the last one to come out which was a very mean looking pirate that could proberly throttel you to death without trying and he headed off towards the jail.
funny place for a pirate to be going he thourt to himself before entering the pub. it was rather empty by now. he walked past the captin he had seen earlyer up to a bar stool and looked down at the dead bar kepper.
"i'll just 'elp miself to some booze if ya dont mind!" he said smirking at the dead bar keeper leaning across the table and grabbing a bottel of rum.
"now i 'ear theirs a position of employment." he said out load as thow to no one in perticular, takeing off the cork off the bottle of rum with his teeth. he stared down at the dead bar keeper again and pulled out his pistole and waved it at him.
"ya know. ide be more simperfetic for ya if i dint know you swiveled on cards!" he took anouther swig from the rum. he looked at the captin.
"oh sorry. im Foxlea bate's anything you wanna know about summin sharp and pointy or gose bang im ya guy. master in manufactoreing, identifying , fixing and sharperning of weapons. and i ave loads of exsperance too. and am trusty to the end!" the last bit wasent esacly a lie he hadent exsacly been trusty with his last captin, but that guy he had been tempted to shoot for age's and when he got back from this voyage with a good amount of booty he was going to do just that.
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 06:41
Barnacle Roost

Brian left in a hurry and went off to do his duties. Bill watched him go and started to laugh at himself in a crazy way. "The injure'd to the doc. . at least it will lighten the boat some."

Brian quickly jumped up the stairs as he heard Bill laugh. He knew Bill was right about the Doc--that he would lighten the load some. He knew life was hard on the pirate ship and the Doc was harsh. Brian himself had refused to see the Doc on all occasions for fear of "his" secret would be discovered. He had survived many an experience and wound. The only time he'd let himself be treated by a doctor was when they were off ship and he could safely escape and dress in women's clothing again to see a Doctor.

Tortuga

Brian hopped off the ship as he headed towards the tavern with his fellow pirates. He pushed past fellow pirates and ignored their comments of how he was a bit smaller than they were. While he was slightly above average height, he still was on the slender side.

"Lookit this little one!" A drunk man roared grabbing Brian by the shoulder. "Hardly any meat on 'im!"

"Do that again and I'll break your arm." Brian snapped as he yanked his arm out of the man's grip.

The man laughed harder. "Ah, but a brawn one he is! Have a drink half pint!" He shoved a glass of wiskey into Brian's hand.

Brian threw back his head as he gulped the wiskey down. He handed the glass back to the drunken man. "Thank you for the drink." He began to push his way back out of the crowd to find Smith.

Brian went to the jail cells with his knife in his belt. He heard the sound of a gunshot and knew someone had upset cut-throat Bill. He figured it must've been an act of cowardness or lying. Either way Bill was unhappy. Brian's eyebrows went up seeing Morgan. He was surprised to find a fellow woman behind bars.

Brian stopped when he heard an imprissoned comment on him. "'E sure looks like someone." the imprissoned man said. "Like t'at fishin' girl."

Brian whipped the knife out of his belt and grabbed the imprisoned man by the collar. He pulled the man close to him and began to speak. "Quit makin' up your stories." Brian scolded in a tone that was hard and harsh. "Many people have red hair and blue eyes. Just because I do it don't make me anyone other than who I am. And I am Brian."

"It was a mistake! Yes, I made a mistake. I thought he was someone else." The imprissoned man said as he backed away from Brian quickly.

Brian shook his head as he replaced his knife. "The fool's drunk or dumb...or both." He said.

Bill stopped. "No the person I be looking for is a pirate! One who knows how to navigate, not some upstart lass who doesn't know her place. This be a man's domain and a man's job!" he said quietly through the bars. "We be takin' on no woman. . tis dangerous bad luck it is."

Brian half listened as he watched Bill. He knew Bill would not be willing to free Morgan. He pitied Morgan, Brian himself had disguised himself as a man and joined up with Bill. At the same time Brian wondered what Bill would do.

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by yankeegirl]
Keriann
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 07:41
"All right, if thats how your story plays out, then I'll believe you, for a spell." John was grinning, and looking up at the boy called Edward. Edward was currently looking out the window. "There's something going on at that stinkn' pub that you found me at. If it's pirates, I want to check it out."

John looked at him, with a gaping mouth. "There is NO WAY we are going back down there, Edward. No way!" John tried to pull him from the window, but couldn't suceed. "Come on, we're going down there." An all excited Edward grabbed John by the dirty shirt by the neck, and proceeded to run down the hill that they had walked up previously.

Well, its either walk, or be dragged. Looks like Edward doesn't know his own strength, and apparently, he doesn't know that people can run on their own.

They came up to the pub door, and they entered. The pub was a mob scene, with people fleeing, screaming, vomiting, and begging on their hands and knees in front of a very tall man, who was drinking a bottle of rum. Edward then proceeded up to the man, with John in tow. "Were do we sign up to become pirates?" Edward questioned. The man looked at Edward, and then at the muscles on his arms and chest. Edward waited for him to respond, while John looked at the scene in the pub
Thonnas
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 07:52
Tortuga

Owen gave Bloody Ben a cold glance. It was bad enough that it had taken so long to get the old ship into the shape that Ben wanted it to be in, now he was a bartender getting drinks for some pirate wanabees. He saw the owner of the bar on the floor and, spitting on him, walked over the body and over to the bartender's side of the counter.

"Mangy pirate wanabees, don't even know what they're getting into," said Owen to himself as he poured the beer into large mugs. "They're going to be assigned to me, if I know that Smith. Fella doesn't know the difference between portside and starboard. 'Give 'em to Owen!' He says. 'He needs me sailors.' I need experienced sailors, not some muts tht sign up drunk in a bar."

He put the mugs on a tray and served them out, all the while they were talking to Smith about their past and signing up. Owen looked around for a barmaid whose company he would enjoy.

He swaggered over to the closest one, a brunette that was busy serving drinks herself. "Hello, missy. What might be your name?"

The barmaid turned around, a dagger in her hand. "Where did you get that?" Owen asked.

"I will be the one talking here, pirate," she whispered. "Don't you ever approach me again, or I'll slit your throat."

"Aye, missy, I reckon I won't be seein' the likes of you 'gain. But just one last thing." Owen pulled out his gun. "I would step back if I were you."

One of Owen's crewies jumped up in front of Owen. "Master Windbock, that's not much of a way to pick up a girl."

"Mate," said Owen. "I don't really care right now. I'll shoot you too, savvy?"

The mate stepped out of the way of Owen. Shame, Owen thought. T'would have been a real pleasure.

Owen put his gun away, only to find that the barmaid escorted him to the prison with a knife to his throat. They moved to the prison, walking past two dead bodies as they went along, and they saw Cut-throat Bill talking to one of the prisoners. "Wait a minute," said Owen. "I know that girl... from somewheres. Can't place my finger on it though." The barmaid threw him into one of the cells, and he stopped thinking for a while, hoping Black of Smith would see that he got out. He didn't think he had done anything wrong by the maid.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 08:21
Tortuga:
Kalispel laughed as the two boys walked off, where to, he neither knew nor cared. Sighing, he leaned agianst the wall, thinking if there was anyone who owed him money he could pay a 'visit' to. He raised his eyebrow as a group of pirates walked into the bar. Turning to face the door, Kalispel heard a shot ring out, but no one payed attention. The pirate who fired the gun turned and shot the bar owner, obviously quite vexed.
'Good riddance if ya ask, me....' Kalispel muttered to himself, as he entered the tavern, once more, and shoved his way through the crowds of people to reach the bar. He shrugged and hopped on the counter to sit, with a stolen bottle of wine and watch the festivities. The sight of all the tavern-goers clamouring and being knocked this way and that provided Kalispel with plenty to laugh at.
Taking a swig from the bottle, he dropped off the counter and approached the one of the pirates, who appeared to be the leader.
'So you're looking for sea-worthy men, are you?' Kalispel asked, grinning. 'Well, you won't find many here, I however can say that I have had quite a bit of experience sailing for the English Navy. The finest in the world, I may add,' he attempted to bow with a flourish, but was rudely knocked over by someone else clamouring to be heard. Getting to his feet he grabbed the man by the shirt and quickly punched him in the face. He went tumbling backwards into the bar, where Kalispel walked back and kicked him several times in the side.
'However,' he said, turning to the brown-haired man, 'I was expelled for conduct most unbecoming to a gentleman of His Majesty's service.' Kalispel straightened his shirt, before taking a swig from the bottle, only to find that it was empty. He shrugged and went behind the counter to root around for another.

[Edited on 22/12/2003 by Vende]
Worn_Traveler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 09:05
'So you're looking for sea-worthy men, are you?' one man asked, grinning. 'Well, you won't find many here, I however can say that I have had quite a bit of experience sailing for the English Navy. The finest in the world, I may add,' he attempted to bow with a flourish, but was rudely knocked over by someone else clamouring to be heard. Getting to his feet he grabbed the man by the shirt and quickly punched him in the face. He went tumbling backwards into the bar, where Kalispel walked back and kicked him several times in the side.
'However,' he said, turning to the Smith, 'I was expelled for conduct most unbecoming to a gentleman of His Majesty's service.' The man straightened his shirt, before taking a swig from the bottle, only to find that it was empty. He shrugged and went behind the counter to root around for another.

"You! What be your name?"

"Andover- Kalispel Andover."

"Ai, Kalispel! You're on the crew, matey- Owen, get the rum!" Smith had talked to several more people when two boys ran into the bar, one nearly dragging the other.

"Were do we sign up to become pirates?" one of them asked, the other quite annoyed at being dragged into a pub. Smith studied the boy- muscular, strong- good for manual labor, he thought, but he didn't know if he was any good at sailing.

"What be your experience as a sailor? Navy, pirate- none?" Even if he had no experience, Smith knew he'd be a good man to have around the ship. The other boy would be a perfect cabin boy, but he waited for their responses anyways.

"Owen, where are you? get the rum! Fine then, Brian, get the rum!" smith looked around- all his officers were gone. "Excuse me for a moment, gentlemen. I've got a crew to look after- I'll be back in a moment." With that, smith ran off towards the jail.

yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 09:44
"Owen, where are you? get the rum! Fine then, Brian, get the rum!" smith looked around- all his officers were gone. "Excuse me for a moment, gentlemen. I've got a crew to look after- I'll be back in a moment." With that, smith ran off towards the jail.

"Be right back!" Brian called over his shoulder. He ran back to the ship occasionally jumping over loose plank boards as he went. He stepped into the ship and walked past his fellow pirates.

Brian went down the steps and grabbed a bottle of the rum. Before he could go back he stopped for a moment and decided to grab a second bottle just in case.

Brian was partially greatful that there was a shard of a mirror on the table. Lifting it up he inspected his face. He couldn't see THAT many signs of Brianna in his face. Shaving was another matter that she had found her way around. Brian quickly checked his bandaged chest.

With a deep breath Brian jumped back up the stairs and off the ship. He was relieved his secret hadn't been discovered. And yet Brian feared what would happen if his secret was. He hoped her captian wasn't suspcicious of him. That was the last thing he needed.

"Here we are! Some rum!" Brian gasped out as he held a bottle out. "I went and came back as quickly as I could."
Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 10:31
((sorry I'm so behind, but thanx for ushering Morgan in! much abliged))

Morgan had been watching the harbor through a small crack in her cell wall, when musket fire and evil laughter echoed down the hall. "Names' 'Cut-throat' " said the trigger happy visitor. "I'm looking for one Morgan." Before the girl could get a word in, all the prisoners threw themselves against their bars screaming that they were Morgan. Cat just leaned back against the walls with her hands on her knees. A shot rang out and the jalbirds fell silent. The pirate sauntered up to one of the condemmed and pointed his gun at the man. "Where's the real Morgan?" he said. The mangy prisoner pointed a trembling finger down the hall. "My thanks." said Bill and pulled the trigger. It wasn't long before the pirate materialized out of the gloom. He stared at her for a moment, mouth agape, before turning back the way he'd come. "Hey! Aren't you gonna' let me out? I'm Morgan, the one yer' lookin' for!" she said. He stopped and wheeled to face her. "No, the person I be looking for is a pirate! One who knows how to navigate, not some upstart lass who doesn't know her place. This be a man's domain and a man's job!" he said quietly through the bars. "We be takin' on no woman. . tis dangerous bad luck it is."
Morgan just shook her head. "bloody pirate..." she muttered under her breath, then she spoke up. "It's also bad luck to run yer ship aground 'for getting in the harbor good, which ya nearly did. I should know, I watched." she said. "If your' lookin' for a navigator in that tavern, good luck: there aren't any. The only sailors on this rock that know bow from stern in rough weather are in Her Majesty's service and can't be beaten, begged, threatened or bribed into workin' for anyone else. Besides," she paused "Bill is it? You don't look like the one in charge. Where's your captain?" she yelled after his retreating figure. "Aye, go on an' sink yer bloody sea hag, for all I care! 'Least I won't worry about hearing of ya again!"

[Edited on 12/22/2003 by Vanimacar]
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 11:09
"Bill is it? You don't look like the one in charge. Where's your captain?" she yelled after his retreating figure. "Aye, go on an' sink yer bloody sea hag, for all I care! 'Least I won't worry about hearing of ya again!"

Bill froze in midstep. Pulling out his pistol again, he had a right mind to shoot the sorry lass where she sat, but thought better of it, not wanting to waste another ball on her. Grinding his teeth he continued on down the row, not really noticing the coming and leavings of Brian.

"Hey Bill!" he heard a familiar voice call out. Turning around he saw Owen in a cell, leaning up against the bars. Bill grinned.

"Well, well, well. Not even in port for two minutes and yer get yer sorry self locked in a cell." Bill drawled, striding up to the bars, showing a wicked grin at Owen. "I have a right mind ter leave ya here, but Smith would'n like it none." Bill took a step back and aimed his pistol at the lock.

"Ya best be wantin to take a step back now," he called out right before shooting the lock. The lock broke open with a clang. Owen stepped through them, muttering under his breath. "Next time, I won't be savin' ya!" Bill threatened. Yet, Bill always liked Owen somewhat. He was a rough pirate who liked to gamble himself and knew how to sail pretty well.

Turning around, he heard Smith come down the steps with a grunt looking at the dead bodies.

"Now where be Morgan?" Smith asked looking around.

Bill grunted, "Morgan be a lass. I ain't freein' no woman." Bill was a stubborn man, no matter the situation and also a very superstitious one, growing up on the sea. "Very bad luck it is" he muttered. He followed Smith to Morgan's cell again, his eyes narrowed.
Worn_Traveler
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 01:43
Smith walked through the door to the jail, over two dead bodies. "Had a run in with Bill, eh?" he chuckled, right before stepping into the jail. He walked down the steps and saw the rest of his officers, Owen and Bill, in the jail, but no navigator.

"Where be Morgan?" He asked, sauntering up towards them.

"Morgan be a lass. I ain't freein' no woman. Very bad luck it is" Buill explained, but he walked with Smith to Morgan's cell anyways.

"Ai, she is a woman," Smith commented. "Alright, let's go- Owen, I really could use some rum!"

"Smith, we need a navigator on borad or yur little plans you've been makin below deck will never work out," Owen stated, obviously aware that the ship would never make it ten miles out of harbor without a navigator.

"Ai, we do- so go find one!"

"There aint no other navigators in the entire town- and if they are, they'll be too drunk to do anything. This woman here- it might do you good, Smith. Think- she don't drink nuthin, she don't fight, and she won't be much good against ya if there's a mutiny."

"Owen- could you go get me some rum?" Smith asked. Owen made a firm no- something most people wouldn't have done in the face of Smith. "Fine, if your really deadset on this, mate, go ahead and free 'er. But ye be warned- if any bad luck will come o' this, it'll all be on you! Now go, free her, so she can sail your pretty little ship you care for so much, but blasted! Get me my rum! I'm in the rum cap'tal o' the Spanish Main and not a blessed drop a drink!"

"Ai, sir, I'll have your rum ready in a second." With that, Owen turned back to the cell, shot off the lock, and released Morgan. He then produced a bottle of rum from one of the soldier's supply cache.

Opening the bottle, Smith looked at Morgan. "Now, little lady, ye be warned that on my ship, there be no rules- take this." He handed he a pistol from his belt. "Just walk around like this," Smith said in between swigs, getting more drunk and more drunk with each drink. He stumbled around with the pistol waving from right to left unsteadily and stopped, turned and cocked it. He pointed it at Owen's head, who quickly ducked to the left. "Walk like that and the crew will get the pic . . ." He didn't finish the sentence. In about twenty seconds he had drained the entire bottle, and was now thoroughly out for the night.

"So, I guess we better be down at the tavern recruitin' more hands, eh?" Owen asked looking at Bill. With a silent nod, they all walked off, leaving Smith there to sleep it off.

Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 02:16
Tortuga

Morgan crawled out of the cell and excepted the pistol. It wasn't long before her new captain was dead drunk, so she followed Bill and Owen outside. She retrieved her own weapons from the dead guard in the hallway, tucking the sais and the new pistol into her belt."By the way, Bill" she said as they made their way back to the tavern,"who gave ya' the idea I don't drink?" He looked back at her and couldn't surpress a grin. The fact that she'd narrowly escaped death was alreadt forgotten.

((sorry this is so short, but i can't think of anything else to do, at least not till morning.in the story that is ))
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 02:30
"So, I guess we better be down at the tavern recruitin' more hands, eh?" Owen asked looking at Bill. With a silent nod, they all walked off, leaving Smith there to sleep it off.

Bill walked back into the pub, his eyes looking like fire. Looking around, he spotted the rest of the crew having a few drinks and getting cozy with the barmaids. Growling, he looked back at the crowd, all of who were expecting to see Ben. Standing on top of a chair, he shouted, "Any of you scurvy dogs looking to speak with Smith, will now have to speak with me. He be . . .slumbering at the moment and is not to be bothered!"

Pointing over to Owen next to him, "After I am through with ya, you will be seeing Owen here, who will deem you sea worthy or not!"

Grabbing the list of already signed on pirates, he looked around the room. " And if ya are already on the list, best come and talk with me so ya can meet the crew! We are to be ready to sail by morn!"

He then stepped back and waited for the onslaught of eager pirates to come to him. Turning to Owen, he said quietly, "If any of them deem unseaworthy, see to it we never meet up with them again. And get me some drink! I will need it if I am to deal with these blasted pirates!" And on second thought he turned to Morgan who was right behind him and added, "Get the lass some drink too! Let's see just how much talk she is!"
ladyknight1224
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 03:13
Edward was overcome with joy. He couldn't believe that he was going to become a pirate, just because he was muscular. He realized he wasn't that bad at stearing the ship, or taking care of the sails either. He and John were standing away from the barmaids, and paying more close attention to the man called Bill.

Edward did a double take. Bill was standing next to a woman! I thought nobody took on women in this business. I thought they was bad luck. Ah well, she may be worthy. He took a swig of the ale that someone had handed to him.

Edward wanted to wait to talk to Bill, after all of the scum had their turn. He was in no hurry. He had all of his things, and not any family to say goodbye to either. John might however. Edward decided to abanden his plan. He turned to John, and muttered for him to be on his gaurd, and to stay were he was. He walked up to Bill, and stood strait infront of him.

"I'd be on the list, sir. We want to know if you find us seaworthy, and I mean 'we' by me, and the lad over there." He pointed to John, who at the moment was dumping his ale over a very drunk man's head. "I can do manual labor, and I'm good with the sails and the stearing of the ship. John over there would make a fair cabin boy, and he could man the sails as well as any seamen. What say you Bill?"

yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 03:14
He then stepped back and waited for the onslaught of eager pirates to come to him. Turning to Owen, he said quietly, "If any of them deem unseaworthy, see to it we never meet up with them again. And get me some drink! I will need it if I am to deal with these blasted pirates!" And on second thought he turned to Morgan who was right behind him and added, "Get the lass some drink too! Let's see just how much talk she is!"

"Have some rum." Brian said as he placed the bottle on the table firmly. "Cut-Throat sent me to go get some and then he falls alseep on me." He handed the other bottle to another pirate. "An' come now, we pirates can't be all that bad." He said and then laughed.

Brian looked towards Cut-Throat's fallen body and laughed again. "I think we best get 'im somethin' to drink when we wakes up! Don't need him havin' no anger or hangovers when we wakes up. Won't do at all."

Finally taking a seat Brian helped himself to a cup full of rum. He was surprised to find Morgan freed when he was away. While he knew he'd have a fellow girl aboard the ship with him, he knew he couldn't reveal his secret to anyone. One wrong slip and Brianna would be walking the plank before she could even blink.

"A brave lass you are to stand against Cut-Throat." Brian said to Morgan. "Not many women would do that...let alone live to tell the tale."

((Sorry this is a bit on the short side. Dad needs my help. I'll do my best to write a longer entry next time.))
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 03:35
Coming up from behind the counter, Kalispel saw Smith leave the bar. He shrugged and hopped back up on the counter, where he popped the cork and took a swig. Swinging his legs, Kalispel watched, bored, as the men around him became so intoxicated they couldn't tell up from down.
He took a coin out of his pocket and idly began tosing it up in the air before catching it, and guessing what side it would be on when he opened his hand.
'Any of you scurvy dogs looking to speak with Smith, will now have to speak with me. He be . . .slumbering at the moment and is not to be bothered!' one of the pirates he had seen earlier bellowed into the bar.
He pointed to someone next to him, 'After I am through with ya, you will be seeing Owen here, who will deem you sea worthy or not!'
The pirate grabbed a sheet of parchment and looked around the room. 'And if ya are already on the list, best come and talk with me so ya can meet the crew! We are to be ready to sail by morn!'
Sighing, Kalispel removed himself from the counter, again, and stepped lightly over to the man.
'Captain already approved me, I believe,' Kalispel said, before drinking deeply from the bottle of wine. 'So where's this 'crew'?' he asked, wondering if there was nothing more than the sorry looking men who had enetered the tavern the first time.

Vanimacar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 03:38
Morgan excepted a glass of brandy from a suspicious sailor and drank it all in one gulp.
"A brave lass you are to stand against Cut-Throat." said young Brian, "Not many women would do that...let alone live to tell the tale." Morgan only laughed. "Him? Well, I supose you'd know better than me, but if he's the worst, than I think I can manage." she said grinning. She held out her hand. "Brian, is it? Glad to sail with you! Er...so, where's this ship o'yers anyway? A little rough around the edges, don'cha think? Anywho, do ya think Mr. Smith would mind if I snuck a peak? Just to check for supplies and such, gotta see if I've got what I need to do my job."

((another short one...))
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email