Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Pippin's song
on: February 20, 2004 08:39
I just love this song. I gotta get my hands on the LotR soundtracks!
Precious!
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 07:40
I cried during that one third time through, and I always get that one stuck in my head.... I like it, but I can never remember the words. Ah well. I need to get the CD...
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 09:18
You can find the song lyrics (actually a poem from RotK) under "Songs of Gondor" in the poem section of Elrond's library. http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Poems&file=index&req=viewarticle&partid=81
Precious!
Tracer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 09:06
ok, I went to wal-mart to get the ROTK Soundtrack, I picked one up & saw that they had different covers, so I went to ask someone about it & the guy was like 'Dude, Put that crap back... we have the Trilogy' so of course he got it for me & I put the other one back. the Trilogy was the same price & it looked like it had all of the songs on it.
But then I put it in the CD player & flipped to The 'Steward of Gondor' track, all I heard was music, no words. so i went through some other songs & the only freakin' thing that is on the CDs is Music, NO WORDS:angry:
So, what the heck is going on?
I only wanted the CD because I wanted to have a copy of 'Pippin's Song' ...
Could someone tel me what the heck is up?

thanks...
Sincerely,
Tracer
Elven~Arien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 07:13
wow thats really weird. I have the sole copy of the ROTK soundtrack and it is fine. My geuss is that the CD you got was a CD that was only Howard Shore's music in the movie and not what Billy Boyd wrote. If that makes sense.
Tracer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 03:58
Apparently that is the CD set that I got...
But Wal-Mart won't give me a Refund & won't let me exchange it for the ROTK Soundtrack...
Because they aren't allowed to accept returns for CDs that have already been open... Stupid laws...

anyways, that is my complaint, but I will get over it soon... I hope...

Sincerely,
Tracer
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:34
That's weird. I've got the Trilogy (ordered from Amazon) and it has the vocals in it all through. It's the same as the individual CDs, just packaged together. If you check the description of the Trilogy CDs on line, the reviews include praise for Billy Boyd! Sounds to me like you've got a CD that's missing a track iin the recording process!

Irethyne
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 08:45
Thanks for this link to this beautiful song!!!! :heart::heart:
giladhend6
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 10:08
At www.memoirsoftheshire.com the lyrics are posted as:

Home is behind
The world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow
To the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shape
Hope shall fail
All shall fade

Which sounds pretty accurate, except the word 'shape' but it doesn't sounds like 'shade' either when you listen to it. I think he sounds like he says 'shame' but who knows, obviously not me
Tracer
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 11:13
I think you have a different CD than the one that I have...
This one doesn't have all of the songs that are on the Individual Soundtracks...
The cover of the this soundtrack has The Ring with a Sword through the the Middle part...

But whatever...
Sincerely,
Tracer
Nurwen_Calafalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2004 06:34
Which sounds pretty accurate, except the word 'shape' but it doesn't sounds like 'shade' either when you listen to it. I think he sounds like he says 'shame' but who knows, obviously not me

I thought he said "shame" too!!!
fosca44
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 12:11
I've always thought it was "shade" - but that can partially be because I remembered the original poem in the book ("The walking song")

But I can't hear "Hope shall fade" at the end neither - I hear "all" both times, - what do you hear?

I really love how it's completely turned around from the book though - Boyd's a genius in how he changed it from it's orginal context; Originally a cheerful little tune Frodo, Merry and Pippin sing as they've just departed from the Shire, and then Boyd wrote it to mean so, so much in a completely different way. Absolutely wonderful

I think it's fun to see how the movie has treated the songs and poems in the books. They could never have included them all (that would have made it a musical ) but you recognise the small things - Aragorn humming, and the drinking song in the FotR EE...

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a web page with the original book lyrics along with the songs that have made it into the movie, so people can enjoy this like me
faramirs_chick
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 04:44
I love this song! I love anything celtic and this song has a celtic feel to it. Billy just made the song so hauntingly beautiful. He can sing in my house anytime!! (I wish he would!)

omg! i so agree with everything hobbithole_dweller said! i have the soundtrack to RotK, and i listen to billy's song over... and over... and over...
Nurwen_Calafalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 06:29
I really love how it's completely turned around from the book though - Boyd's a genius in how he changed it from it's orginal context; Originally a cheerful little tune Frodo, Merry and Pippin sing as they've just departed from the Shire, and then Boyd wrote it to mean so, so much in a completely different way. Absolutely wonderful

He WROTE it? You have made a Pippin fan out of me!
Nefertirievy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 05:08
Its such a beautifull song though, it sends me to another place every time I listen, I zone out, and its the same for Into the West
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 05:28
I absolutely adore Pippins song, Billy does an amazing job with it and everytie I hear it I stop whatever Im doig just to listen
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2004 05:12

He WROTE it? You have made a Pippin fan out of me!

*gorgeous song. plain and simple...

He did write it, but it's based pretty closely off Tolkien rhymes, in FotR. "Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread, say farewell to dell and glade, all shall fade." is the first verse of the Tolkien rhyme...

Of course, you will notice that book-verse, Denethor asking Pippin to sing ("And why should your songs be unfit for my halls? Come, master hobbit, sing for me.") is interrupted by Faramir's return. I think... umm... yes, it was his return wounded... unless another book-expert wants to correct me.
I mean, not that I'm complaining, never would complain about a chance to hear billy sing!! amazing voice.... "Is not his voice wonderfully true?" --M&C

Oh, and you'll notice that the Green Dragon Drinking Song ("Hey ho, to the bottle I go, to heal my heart and drown my woe. The rain may fall, the wind may blow, and there still be, many miles to go. Oh, sweet is the sound of falling rain and the brook the runs from hill to plain, but better than rain or rippling brook, is a mug of beer inside this Took!") is also mod tolkien rhyme, pieced from the Hot Water song "Sweet is the sound of falling rain and the brook the runs from hill to plain, but better than rain or rippling brook.." is from there... and I don't know where "Hey ho.." came from... probably just some imaginative person's invention.
Lómiothiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 12:23
*swoon* I love this song, I've not been brought to tears by it, but on the verge of tears! It's soo beautiful, but gets a little creepy or suspenceful to the end. I love Pippin and Merry! This song it soo gorgeous and you can just feel how sad Pippin is in the song, for what he's gotten himself into! Well done Billy, if you are ever reading this, you are a LEGEND! :love:
Merry_Pippin_8
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 06:22
Pippin's song was great! It is on the ROTK soundtrack.
Gildor-Inglorion
Elvellon ar Pethdan
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 07:33
Excellent song! Right up there with Viggo singing "Et Earello"!
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2005 07:54
Ahhh....the best part in ROTK. Ok...so maybe not the "best" part....but it had me in tears all the same. I was beyond surprised when I found out that he could sing like that....
Bealocwealm
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 09:32
Amazing.
Billy is truly gifted. But I must agree that it wasn't worth crying over. Well perhaps my opinion would have been different had I seen the movie before hearing the song... All the same, it is a beautiful piece.
Also, I'm glad that Pippin got more face time (he was always one of my favourite characters from the novels).

[Edited on 18/3/2005 by Bealocwealm]
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2005 07:10
I liked the song (I'm not a fangirl of any kind, except for books, not characters/people), and I thought it was very appropriate for the time. What amazes me is that Billy Boyd composed that song - and when I was rereading FotR I found the song, and sang the whole thing under my breath, and all the words fit in with the tune. I think the full poem was in the February Council Courier.
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 09:26
That song made me cry.:cry: The song entitiled "The Edge of Night" has a lot of meaning for me...:cry:
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 09:38
It was a very, very sweet song. I knew that Billy oculd sing, and suddenly in RotK he 'breaks out' into song, and it ws a\vsolutley gorgeous. He cries at the end, and that really got me... :cry:

It's one of my fave songs on the LotR soundtrack, i listen to it all the time. :love:
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2005 06:38
I wore this song out. I played it so much that I could sing it without the music. But I hated the long intro to the actual singing because my CD player in my car does not have a search function, so I had to wait every time. It really is a beautiful song, so much meaning.
Alya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 02:00
ok, I went to wal-mart to get the ROTK Soundtrack, I picked one up & saw that they had different covers, so I went to ask someone about it & the guy was like 'Dude, Put that crap back... we have the Trilogy' so of course he got it for me & I put the other one back. the Trilogy was the same price & it looked like it had all of the songs on it.
But then I put it in the CD player & flipped to The 'Steward of Gondor' track, all I heard was music, no words. so i went through some other songs & the only freakin' thing that is on the CDs is Music, NO WORDS
So, what the heck is going on?

How much of the song did you listen to? Because the actual song is at the last minute of the song. And really, it's not a bad thing. The orchestration of Lord of the Rings is beautiful, and it won an Oscar.

Just another thing to add. The beginning of the song starts out with a song called The Last Son, which goes like this:
"Boe le henio
E sí câr athad iyn
Ane ah a phen
I ú athelitha. "
(You must understand/He does the duty of two songs now. For himself; and for the one/Who will not return.)
I think this is equally poignant, but it's sad because a lot of the choral pieces aren't recognized a lot, and they're positively gorgeous. Just because they aren't sung by a hot guy on screen doesn't mean they should be overlooked.
mirkwood_elf89
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 01:23
I luv that song....it is sooo beautiful!!! That song really got me in the movie....But the intro leading into the song is long....but i alwez fast forward to where he starts singing! He's got a really good voice!
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 02:43
It's fine.
jlg6
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2005 02:31
oh great. I am so totally in love with that song, probably my favorite part of ROTK and I have neve cried at before. But when I hear everyone talking about how beautiful it is and how they cried at it, I listened to it again and realised exactly how amazing it is. Now I'm going to cry even more during the third movie! Oh well, at least it's not a sad part.
jedi_eowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 05:45
Oh I know! That is one of my favorite parts in the movie. I love how they tied in the song with what Faramir must have been feeling when he was riding out to face certain death. And then how Pippin must have felt now that Gandalf was with the soldiers all of the time, and now that Faramir, one of his only friends in Gondor is riding off to what everyone thinks is his death, and all off the other hobbits are everywhere else around the world. I think that I am going to go and listen to it now.
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 05:35
Billy Boyd should go into music of he doesn't want to act anymore. He has a beautiful voice.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2010 03:42
I fell in love with Hobbits because of little things like Pippin's song: So utterly innocent, so vivdly real! :love:
silverwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2011 09:16
I love this song! I went in youtube to listen to it. I think the king is disgusting, who eats like that?
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: February 06, 2011 09:31
I think it takes quite a talent to make up a tune like that A very nice song.
btw Silver, Denethor is not a king but a steward, and the film-makers, not JRRT, made him eat like that.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email