on: January 03, 2004 03:48
Frodo faints 7 times in the books, and 6 times in the movie!:dizzy:
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Why does Frodo faint so much?
on: January 03, 2004 04:15
Uh... yes?

A part of it might be due to bearing the ring. And I believe that deep in is heart, Frodo is not really a hero. At least, he does not want to be one. He's grown up in a protected environment and the only sorrows he had for a long time were the Sackville-Bagginses and the question of what's for breakfast (or elevensies, or luncheons, or dinner, or supper). To bear The One Ring is something appearantly only an innocent and, in the visions of the great powers, a 'minor' one could do. That still does not makes him heroic or something.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 04:29
Frodo faints because the power of the Ring is enough to flatten the strongest, and by sheer force of character he is able to go on even though he occasionally is overcome.

As for being or not being a hero, that doesn't depend on a person being Harrison Ford in "Indiana Jones". A true hero goes on despite all the fear, pain, struggle, and overwhelming odds--tenaciously to the end regardless of circumstances. Frodo is every bit the hero in my book!

[Edited on 1/4/04 by Scothia]
losing_her_head
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 04:56
Well Frodo is literally carrying the weight of the world on his neck. In his whole life he has never experienced anything this difficult.You'd faint too. And at the same time he is undergoing a fight internally to maintain his sanity. I dont know about you, but he is definately a hero in my eyes, whether he wanted to be one or not.
DreaminofValinor
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2004 06:28
well, i don't know about you, but i'd be passing out right and left if i was in frodo's place! if i came within sight of an orc, i'd probably faint. same with the nazgul, and at the dead marshes, etc, etc. so he wasn't necessarily any wimpier than the rest of us if you ask me. ...if anything more than me.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 03:14
Ok, ok, I will point it out more subtile (sorry to all Frodo-fans) .
Frodo wás a hero, together with everyone who fought to make his task bearable (the fellowship, the soldiers of rohan, the soldiers of gondor etc.). But he was not a hero willingly, not even at heart. In my opinion, it did not have anything to do with heroism and valiance (or valour? my knowledge of the english language lets me down here). He just did what he did because he had to do it and no one else could.
And yes, the weight of the Ring was a very heavy burden, which obviously is one of the reasons for his faintings.

[Edited on 4/1/2004 by Eruantalincë]
Saurons_Bane
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 06:36
Yes, the weight of the ring was far too heavy to expect anyone to carry for as long as he had, through the same turmoils and dangers, without weakening quite a bit physically. Not to mention the Morgul wound, which weakened him perminantly for the rest of his life.

To respond to Frodo not being a hero at heart, well, that's your opinion, so I can't call you on that. Anyway, Frodo was quite a bit braver in the books then in the movie, considering how at Weathertop in the books he attempted to fight off the Ringwraiths instead of dropping his blade and falling over (sry, that always bugged me). I mean, did you see the beginning of the first movie? He did not want to leave the Shire, yes, but only a complete fool would want to leave the Shire to be chased by servants of the Dark Lord when it is you and only you that they are looking for.

Instead of breaking down into hysterics or trying to pawn the Ring off onto someone else (besides Gandalf, but that's understandable) Frodo closed his fingers about the Ring, looked resolutely at Gandalf, and said,

"What must I do?"

If that doesn't make him a hero at heart I don't know what does.

Sauron's Bane
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 06:44
Really, I just assumed he had low blood sugar or something

Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 06:54
To respond to Frodo not being a hero at heart, well, that's your opinion, so I can't call you on that. Anyway, Frodo was quite a bit braver in the books then in the movie, considering how at Weathertop in the books he attempted to fight off the Ringwraiths instead of dropping his blade and falling over (sry, that always bugged me).
Yes, you are definitely right about that. In the books, Frodo was braver.

Instead of breaking down into hysterics or trying to pawn the Ring off onto someone else (besides Gandalf, but that's understandable) Frodo closed his fingers about the Ring, looked resolutely at Gandalf, and said,

"What must I do?"

If that doesn't make him a hero at heart I don't know what does.
Hm, that is what I meant with
He just did what he did because he had to do it and no one else could.
Sometimes, thing just have to be done. Wether or not it is a matter of braveness. I do admire it, though, that he did it, so please do not get me wrong.
Saurons_Bane
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 06:55
Yeah, I just get ovreexcited when talking about these things. Sry if it seemed like I was jumping down ppl's throats.

Wow, I just looked at my post and it's REALLY long. Sry, I have a tendancy to do that when talking about LOTR

Saurons_Bane

[Edited on 4/1/2004 by Saurons_Bane]
PervyOrcFancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 06:59
As it has been said, the ring and the burden of the object is making frodo faint.. however, in an alternative ending- he is fainting because Sam happens to be so incredibly ravishing and brave that frodo just swoons for the manly hobbit.

vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 07:14
I wouldn't say that Frodo isn't a hero at heart, more that he isn't an adventurer at heart, constrasting with Bilbo, or merry and pippin.

REally, he doesn't want to go out into the big, scary world, byt stupid destiny dictates that he's the only one who can do this.

Stupid Destiny.

imo, this make sFrodo baver.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 07:22
Oh no Saurons_Bane, you were not jumping on at least my throat. I just try to explain why I think (blablabla). I love this little discussions.
HermioneFrodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 08:33
Frodo is pretty weak though. I know that the ring was a really heavy burden to carry, but I don't get why he faints at Shelob's lair (before he gets stung) That was the faint that made me think of Frodo as weak
Frodos_One_True_Love
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 08:34
6 times in the movie!

I can't seem to think of *six* times in the movie. Could someone help me out here lol.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 12:48
I'm confused here . Frodo Faints? FAINTS! I really don't understand what you mean by, Frodo fainting. You guys have got me really confused here :dizzy:. In my eyes he never fainted. He passes out, if that's what you all mean. Passing out is not the same as fainting. When you get stabed by a deadly blade or stung by a Gigantic Spider, I think that counts for passing out time. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I just don't remember seeing Frodo Faint . The power of the Ring made him stagger around because it made him weaker as he got closer to Mordor. Faint, I don't think is the right word. Oh well :drool: :dizzy: :blush:

Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 03:04
Faint, I don't think is the right word.

I agree, hobbitmom; he didn't faint so much as get knocked out. The cave troll hitting him, well, I'd pass out too if some two ton monster just rammed a spear into my rib cage, even if it didn't actually pierce me.

If you want someone who faints, look at Dante in "The Divine Comedy"; that guy fainted and/or swooned about 15 times without going through anything NEAR what Frodo did.

but I don't get why he faints at Shelob's lair (before he gets stung) That was the faint that made me think of Frodo as weak

I think he just literally collapsed after everything he'd just gone through: a giant spider chased him, he betrayed Sam, was betrayed himself by Gollum, fought with Gollum, lost Sting and his phial; plus, he hadn't been getting any sleep, and the poor thing was probably exhausted. :cry:
losing_her_head
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 03:13
Ok, for one thing Frodo is NOT weak:angry:. I'd like to see you do what he did and not faint. Seriously, if any of you have done the same thing then speak now! What no one? ok, I got a little carried away there. Of course no one has its not possible. But its not fair to judge Frodo as weak unless you've gone through the same thing and defeated it without once fainting. Frodo is definately not weak in my eyes, and its not all that fair that he is in yours.
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 03:20
But its not fair to judge Frodo as weak unless you've gone through the same thing and defeated it without once fainting. Frodo is definately not weak in my eyes, and its not all that fair that he is in yours.

Amen!
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 04:38
Ok, for one thing Frodo is NOT weak:angry:. I'd like to see you do what he did and not faint. Seriously, if any of you have done the same thing then speak now! What no one? ok, I got a little carried away there. Of course no one has its not possible. But its not fair to judge Frodo as weak unless you've gone through the same thing and defeated it without once fainting. Frodo is definately not weak in my eyes, and its not all that fair that he is in yours.

They *are* allowed to think of Frodo as weak....and there are many different kinds of weakness. Saying he's weak in body (which we all would be if we had to outrun Nazgul, run away from spiders and orcs, carry a heavy, debilitating burden), all while being half the size of a normal human. That weakness, you can argue, because physically he is weaker than some of the other characters. However, I don't think people actually have said that he's weak in mind or spirit, which is more important.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 04:59
I agree with you there, losing_her_head, Frodo is not weak. But there's still the fainting word . When I hear that word I think of a weakling. So how about collapses from exhaustion, or unconscious by being hit by something/someone . That sounds a lot better then FAINTS , to me, and it takes away the thinking Frodo's being weak .

Saurons_Bane
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 01:11
Oh no Saurons_Bane, you were not jumping on at least my throat. I just try to explain why I think (blablabla). I love this little discussions.

Ok, that's good. Sometimes I get really involved in these discussions and people start wondering why I'm yelling at them and I'm all confused :dizzy: 'cause I was just trying to have a conversation. I love these discussions too. They're cool
Daewen_oGurth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2004 10:56
He mostly only passes out from exhaustion. That's why he 'passes out' before Shelob stabs him. He was exhausted from his fight with Gollum. The Ring gets heavy the closer he gets to Mordor, right? So of course he's going to get more tired than at the beginning.
Sullie
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2004 02:22
I agree with what most everyone is saying. Frodo is brave and strong, but the weight of the Ring is holding him down and can make the strongest man a slave to its power and weaken them (*cough* isildur). So Frodo has the right to faint and I'd faint myself if I were him...
thegreendragonmaid
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 04:33
Because he is so hot that he has tofaint to feel better.JK.I think it is because of the ring.
Darian_Orion_Stargazer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 03:40
First I would like to say that Frodo IS carrying an ENORMOUS burden. But let's back up a bit. First what is the ring? It is a Ring of Power forged in Mount Doom by Sauron himself after having taught the Elven Smithes the Art of ring forging that he learned from HIS former master Morgoth the evil Valar. (for those who don't know, Morgoth is discussed in Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion' ) He imbued all his power and 'self' into this ring. It contained all his hatred and evil. The ring is _THE_ reason he survived death. It was created to BIND all the rings to his will.
'Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die'
'Seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone'
'Three for the Elven Kings under the sky'
and IT. THE ring. The One Ring. Think of the power that ring had to have to controll and bind all others.
THAT is burden I would NEVER wish on anyone.

Frodo had seen it's effects on Bilbo. How it extended his life yet... it wore him thin. And made him crave it's presence. Frodo was leery of the ring but he knew after Gandalf explained 'I CANNOT take this ring, I would use this ring out of a desire to do good but THROUGH ME, it would weild a power to great and terrible to imagine' Frodo knew then, before he left, that those WITH power, are the one most easily corrupted. He knew in his heart that the task had been given to him by fate (And Tolkien And I frankly think, that he bore up under that burden with incrediable courage and even through the end, I think Sam is just as much a hero. Sam himself was a hero by sheer virtue of his incredable compassion and strength of heart. He bore not only the ring at one point...but Frodo himself when Frodo could not carry himself. That act reminds me of a man looking back on his life with jesus at his side...two sets of footprints... and at times one. The mans asks why and jesus answers 'It was then I carried you'. Sam is made of much the same 'supporting' material. He is the reason and the hope that keeps Frodo going. And anyone who has as I have, helped a friend through an suicide attempt, knows that to bear another through even for one night such depression and hopelessness is task that drains you emotionally and even physically. I can not imagine the PAIN Frodo AND Sam went through. But I can say that neither deserve to be thought of as anything but heroes.
Eldirn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2004 04:41
The battle is spiritual, even more than it is physical. And anyone who has done battle in prayer or some such will understand the intense physical toll such a fight puts on the body and soul. After an intense session of intercessory prayer, I have had to spend a day in bed with almost flu-like symptoms before I am able to function again. I cannot imagine going up against what Frodo did, for months on end. It would be totally debilitating.
Ithildiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2004 05:39
He fainted? Honestly? I can´t remember when he did. He seemed to be overpowered by the Ring at times but I can´t remember him actually fainting.
galadriel_evenstar_idril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 10:22
Apart from being spiritually and emotionally tired, don't forget that he's been walking around practically from the north to the south of Middle Earth on his own two feet...I mean...he is VERY physically tired ... he hasn't eaten much lembas...he's got v. little water...and he can't sleep very well either...
atheniel_
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 01:38
Yeh, after everything he's gone through, it wouldnt be very possible to notfaint. But the fact that he's been able to resist the Ring for so long through the quest and still stagger on takes an extreme amount of will power. Its not only physical exhaustion, its emotional, spiritually, psychological (blablabla and all the rest of em) exhaustion too, not to mention the fact the Ring's eating away his mind at the same time.

I can not imagine the PAIN Frodo AND Sam went through. But I can say that neither deserve to be thought of as anything but heroes.

You've gotten that right
GollumDeagol
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 12:14
He's got the vapors.
IntotheWest23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 10:27
i dont remember him fainting in the books... :dizzy:

but hey, frodo's got the RING it could kill him nd i'd faint too
frodo is a hero, imho. yea, he is going through alot of pain...:cry:
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2005 11:25
I think the greatest heros are those that don't want to be. People who go out trying to win glory are narcissists and best and bloody dictators at worst.

Heros are people who are just going along living thier lives and then find something worth dying for. They don't want to be famous or anything, they do what they do because it needs to be done. That's what makes a hero a hero.
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2005 12:45
Morna_Child_of_Eru-- AMEN!!! That is exactly it!
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2005 08:06
I agree with Eruantalince.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email