Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
Post Toys and Action Figures
on: January 15, 2004 04:52
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you collect LoTR action figures?, and what ones you have if you do. I have Frodo and Sam in their Goblin gear, it's really cute how oversized it is and the helmets are great (esp Frodo's). I also have Frodo and Sam in one of the boats they got in Lothlorien. I love them. I'll probably get more in the next few months. They will indeed be collectable one day. I couldn't bare to keep them in their boxes though (Sam and Frodo need to be together), but I kept the boxes just in case years from now they're really expensive. Anyway who do you guys have? xx-Amanda

This is now the official thread for the discussion of LotR toys and action figures. --Parmadur

[Edited on 3/29/04 by Parmadur]
Lady_of_Edoras
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Toys and Action Figures
on: January 16, 2004 07:30
The action figures are my favorite lotr items to collect. I actually have quite a few.

From the FOTR I have:

Strider, Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Merry & Pippin, Elrond, Legolas, Gimli, Boromir, Arwen & horse, Sauron, Bilbo, Galadriel, Frodo & Sam with the boat, Aragorn, Twilight Ringraith, Ringraith & horse, Prologue Elven warrior, Saruman the white, Grima Wormtongue (just got him, woo hoo!)

From TT:

Gandalf & Shadowfax, Aragorn & Brego, Treebeard, Frodo, King Theoden, Faramir, Helmes Deep Aragorn, Helmes Deep Legolas, Gollum.

And From ROTK:

Eowyn, Eowyn in armor, Pellenor Fields Aragorn, Bilbo, Eomir, There and back again gift set, King Aragorn, Pippin in aromor, Harad archer.

I have some new aditions to my collection. I bought the 'bearers of the one ring' gift set, so I now have twilight Frodo and a cool bilbo and gollum figure. I also bought today Faramir in Gondorian armor, Merry in armor, and the King of the Dead, all of which are super cool. My collection is seriously growing, but I love it!

P.S. Add the witch king to that!
[Edited on 5/2/2004 by Lady_of_Edoras]

[Edited on 18/4/2004 by Lady_of_Edoras]

[Edited on 29/4/2004 by Lady_of_Edoras]

[Edited on 30/6/2004 by Lady_of_Edoras]
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 12:14
The figures rock! So far I've got:

Fellowship Of The Ring:
Frodo, Legolas, Strider, Newborn Lurtz, Gandalf The Grey, Gimli, Orc Overseer, Sam, Aragorn(with bow), Elrond, Orc Warrior,Travelling Bilbo, Boromir vs. Lurtz, Merry, Pippin and Moria Orc, Samwise and Frodo with Elven Boat, Cave Troll

The Two Towers:
Legolas in Rohan Armour, Faramir, Easterling, Gandalf The White, Gondorian Ranger, Saruman The White, King Théoden, Grima Wormtongue, Rohirrim Soldier, Éomer, Frodo with Light Up Sting, Galadriel, Helm's Deep Aragorn, Twilight Witch King Ringwraith, Prologue Elven Warrior, Sam In Mordor, Gollum, Grishnákh, Ringwraith, Ugluk, Sauron of The Second Age, Aragorn on Brego, Helm's Deep Battle Set with Armoured Théoden, Helm's Deep Aragorn, Helm's Deep Legolas, Helm's Deep Gimli, and Exclusive Haldir

Return Of The King:
Super-Poseable Pelennor Fields Aragorn with Anduril, Super-Poseable Gollum(Smeagol face) with Crawling Action, Éowyn in Armour, Sam and Frodo in Orc Armour, Ceremonial Éomer, Crossbow Uruk-Hai, Gandalf The White, Prologue Bilbo, Éowyn, Legolas on Arod, Sharku on Warg, Armoured Troll

Trilogy:
None yet, but any day now!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 02:39
I don't want to tire anyone with a long list but I have about 57 of the 6" figures (including Twilight Frodo), about 38 of the 3" AOME figures, a 12" Frodo (actually he's about 8 or 9 inches) and an Applause plush Frodo.

I also just spent about $40 on LOTR bookmarks (just out): very much worth the $6 apiece...two of them are miniature Rohan banners complete with a wooden dowel, found at Barnes & Noble.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
GoblinBane
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 04:22
I don't mean to brag but I have all of the 6 in. Toy Biz LotR action figures including Twilight Frodo, thanks to my mom and I just started collecting the 3 in. ones. They're awesome.

[Edited on 1/26/04 by Parmadur]
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 07:12
I DON'T MEAN TO BRAG BUT I HAVE ALL OF THE 6 in.TOY BIZ LOTR ACTION FIGURES INCLUDING TWILIGHT FRODO THANKS TO MY MOM.AND I JUST STARTED COLLECTING THE 3 in. ONES THERE AWSOME

It's not bragging ...Have you got them all on display ?

Did you include Tree beard in that lot
Aniron_Valandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:33
I collect them also, I have most of them (except twilight frodo!) but hunting is half the fun

you can see my list here
http://steelsheen.com/collection.html
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 07:55
I brought the Helms deep five figure pack yesterday
which has the exclusive Haldir figure.

I've also got another Legolas and Bilbo holding the one ring.

So not many at the moment
rider_of_rohan32190
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 06:56
[color=FF3300]I don't have a lot

From FotR I Have:

Bilbo when he's leaving Bag End
Stider with broken Narsil and another sword
Boromir at Amon Hen

From RotK I Have:

Frodo and Sam in goblin uniforms
Éomer with a sword and cape
12" Aragorn with Anduril

Here's a quick question:

Do you know how Toy Biz has some Toys with the Big boxes with the round plastic front?And the new boxes that are square and look like normal action figures?Does the smaller Box = Less Detail? Becuase my brother and I were looking at it and noticed how the ones in the smaller boxes looked less detailed and more childish than the ones in the bigger boxes.

RoR[/color]

[Edited on 1/27/2004 by rider_of_rohan32190]
losing_her_head
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 08:18
i have sam and frodo from when they are leaving the fellowship to cross the river. but thats it. i really have only one real fear, and thats dolls (i know its pathetic but dont judge me) so i havent really gotten in on the action figure collecting.

but did you know that there are Arwen and Aragorn Barbie dolls?:cry: the thought sends chills up my spine. How could they turn Liv and Viggo into barbie and ken? The mutany!!!!:angry:

[Edited on 27/1/2004 by losing_her_head]
rider_of_rohan32190
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 10:11
Barbie and Ken will NEVER EVER equal up to Arwen and Aragorn.:angry::angry::evil::evil::angry::angry:

RoR
losing_her_head
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 06:12
*bursts into tears* How could they do this?:cry: And the worst part is the company that makes Barbies made the dolls so ugly!:cry: They got the faces all wrong! They killed them!:cry::angry::cry::angry::cry::angry::cry: I don' really mind the action figures, but Malibu Arwen?

[Edited on 23/2/2004 by losing_her_head]
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 05:25
The smallere boxes have nothing to do with detail.
They're re-packs of some older figures, a few with minor changes:

Arwen from the horse/rider set is now on her own with Hadhafang
Boromir has new gear and cloak
Gandalf the Grey has a new head
Brego Aragorn now has a re-used Strider coat, and some different stuff added
Éowyn has darker hair
Legolas has a new bow(I think) and paint job

...things like that. They look less detailed because Toy Biz get cheaper by the day and cut corners wherever possible. The smaller boxes make the figures cheaper though!
Nichole
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2004 08:57
Here is what I have so far for ToyBiz

From ToyBiz (action-figures)
1) Gandalf the White Two Towers figure series 1
2) Frodo w/light-up Sting sword Two Towers series 3
3) Samwise Gamgee w/ moria Mines battle action base FOTR (He has a pan in his hand, hehe)
4) Legolas at Helm's Deep Two towers (with Shield Skateboard, lol)
5) Aragorn at Helm's Deep Two Towers
6) MERRY / PIPPIN vs MORIA ORC Fellowship Lord of the Ring
7) BOROMIR 6" Figure FELLOWSHIP Trilogy Lord of the Rings
8.) GIMLI the Dwarf Fellowship Figure Series 2 Lord of the Rings
9) GOLLUM Super Poseable 5" Figure Lord Rings Return of the King ROTK
10) FARAMIR w/Armor Figure Return the King
11) MORGUL LORD of WITCH-KING Return the King
12) Pippin in Armor Return of the King 6"
13) TRAVELING BILBO 6" LOTR TRILOGY FOTR
14) EOWYN IN BATTLE ARMOR 6" LOTR Return of the King
15) Eomer Return of the King 6" Figure
16) King Theoden in Armor Two Towers 6" Figure
17) Arwen with Light-Up evenstar

I think thats it. I love these, I just havent opened them, and I'm not sure if I am, although I really want to display them.
Do all of you open yours?

[Edited on 18/2/2004 by Nichole]
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 03:44
I just bought a lot of 22 of the figures on ebay that includes:
Frodo w/cape, sword & scabbard,
Sam w/cape & sword,
Merry w/cape & sword,
Pippen w/cape & sword,
Gimli w/cape, helmet, 4 axes,
Theoden in Armor w/helmet & sword,
Eomer w/cape & sword,
Aragorn w/elven cloak, sword, & dagger,
Legolas w/bow, 3 arrows & 2 white knives,
Gandalf the Grey w/cape, staff, hat & sword,
Smeagol w/electronic base,
Aragorn King of Gondor with Anduril brand new in package. Lurtz with a bow & 3 arrows,
Uruk-Hai crossbowman w/crossbow, helmet & 4 arrows,
Uruk-Hai Warrior from Gimli double pack w/shield & sword, Berserker w/sword,
Saurumon w/staff,
Ringwraith w/2 swords,
10" Electronic Sauron w/mace,
2 Haradrim Archers brand new in the package,
12" Electronic Armored Troll.

funness! I also have the Helm's Deep set with Theoden, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Haldir.

Then I bought Pippin in Armour at the store. lol, And of course there's Gandalf the White, Eowyn (in that purpley dress thingie), and the Twilight ringwraith.

Not many at present but I intend to collect them all at some point!! Krazi and I are tossing about the idea of making a movie with the action figures as soon as we have a more complete set. Funness!

[Edited on 21/2/2004 by Angloth]
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 10:39
Add Trilogy Boromir to my list! I payed too much and internet ordered him, but I havw him! Woo!
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 07:44
I have a whole three action figures (BIG number, I know ^_^), I've got Eomer in his armor, Helms Deep Aragorn, and the 8" Treebeard. I love Treebeard! He's awesome!
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2004 07:47
I have, I think at last count was about 67 boxes of figures from the three movies icluding two Helms deep packs and a few other double packs. And still collecting I might add.
Here in Australia the ones in the new packages dont come out till about April/May.....or so I have read.
Gotta say I have paid some pretty high prices on ebay for some of them as high as $55 AUD for some! And about $110 AUD for a five pack of hobbits!

Guys if you take them out of the boxes , even if you keep the boxes, they are gonna lose value. Not to say in years to come that they still wont be worth something, just that they will be worth more if they have never been removed from the box

[Edited on 26/2/2004 by goldberry]
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 08:16
Guys if you take them out of the boxes , even if you keep the boxes, they are gonna lose value. Not to say in years to come that they still wont be worth something, just that they will be worth more if they have never been removed from the box
[Edited on 26/2/2004 by goldberry]

It all depends on what kind of collector you are
If you buy them as investments then keeping them unopened
and mint is always good.

But if Like many people you buy them because you are a LOTR addict and just want to have these cool action figures it does'nt really matter if they go down in value
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 12:27
But if Like many people you buy them because you are a LOTR addict and just want to have these cool action figures it does'nt really matter if they go down in value

Thats true.I was just saying that if you collect them for that purpose.....then best to keep them unopened
LOL Im an addict, cant help myself whenever I see something LOTR related....gotta have it . I have lots of LOTR stuff out of the packages, but the figures I have decided to keep in the boxes as a collectors item. Unfortunatley they are all packed away at the moment cause I dont have the room to display them, even if they were out of the boxes But as soon as I move into a bigger house,(which I hope will be soon) they will be on display, just not out of the boxes
MirkwoodsArcher
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2004 05:01
I also buy some toys for investments Goldberry

Have you got any of the rarer ones ?

[Edited on 4/3/2004 by MirkwoodsArcher]
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2004 02:32
Have a few hard to get ones (well here in Australia anyway)

I have Boromir in a single red box also Gimli I think its the Helms Deep one. When I brought them....The shop had one of each! They were Australian releases.
Elrond is pretty hard to get a hold of in the green box , I have him Ummmmm Eowyn in a dress is really hard to get here.....have her too.
lol Im trying to think what I have since they all packed away! will have to go and find my list back!
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 02:47
Add Pippin in Armour to my list!
Ratgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 07:13
I looked all over town for Aragorn and found him
now to find some more
Aislynn_of_Osgiliath
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 09:21
I am SO happy to have found this thread! Practically everybody I know thinks I'm a little...er...*off* to be a grown woman who collects action figures. At the very least, they usually think it's only a "guy thing." Glad to see I'm in good company!

I thought I had a huge LotR collection until I started reading here! I have:

--The Deluxe Fellowship Gift Pack (Strider, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, Frodo, and Gandalf) (I'm not too proud to admit that I was prepared to wrestle small children if necessary for this solitary beauty sitting all alone on the shelf! )

--Two Towers Faramir (his hair and beard came out a little dark, didn't they? but still, it's Faramir and he's gorgeous!)

--RotK Eowyn in armor (does anyone else think she looks *highly* PMS-ed??? I think Faramir had better run out and get her some chocolate, FAST!)

--12 inch Eowyn in white dress (loooove the hair!)

I have others that aren't LotR (*gasp* ) of course, but that's the extent of related figures. I'm hoping to find the Arwen with the light up Evenstar (right now, I have to confess that I have Aragorn dancing with Xena in a very odd, extremely AU, but still highly amusing scene! ).

Oh, and I have a question I hope someone can answer. The Gandalf the Grey I have from the Deluxe Pack has a light up staff but there are no instructions for how to make it work. I've found the lever that makes him raise the staff but it doesn't light up. Don't know if he's just out of juice and needs a new battery or if I'm missing something. If anybody knows the trick, I'd appreciate it if you would pass it on! Thanks!

~Aislynn
LuthienReborn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2004 11:57
I'm starting to collect the ToyBiz ones but I don't have too many.

[Edited on 11/4/2004 by LuthienReborn]
tarkena
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 11:47
ok hi goldberry can u tell me where to get them in Australia (cos i live here) and I noe u get them at K-mart or wherever but are there any places that sell rarer ones or anything? and if anyone else from aus reads this, help is most really accepted!!! I haven't got any yet, even though I've asked for them for Xmas and my b'day, each year theyve been around... so any help would be appreciated, especially FOTR and TTT because obviously shops are getting ROTK now and probly have sold out of the FOTR and TTT im stressing and rambling on now aren't i. Sorry, but as said before help please!!!!!! PM would be preferable.
thanx everybody
tarkena
HothienGreenLeaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2004 10:15
Hrmmm...I've got King Theoden in amour (retro pack), Legolas in Rohan Amour(retro pack),King Elessar(new packing),Travling bilbo(retor pack), Fellowship gift pack, Elven prolouge warrior(retro pack), and a lose galadhrim warrior. Looking forward to my 12inch legolas doll, coming in soon.
Damn, i missed the Helms Deep gift pack... HALDIR!!!

I was wondering anyone getting NECA figures, with electronic sounds talking ablity? Releasing soon. Pre-order on some ebay acutions. I want that 20in legolas!! :love:
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 01:27
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

My, some of you are serious collectors, aren't you?

Old Tom has a small collection he hopes doesn't grow too much larger:

Fellowship of the Ring
Arwen and Asfaloth (and wounded Frodo)
Elrond
Galadriel
Prologue Elven Warrior
Sauron

The Two Towers
Helm's Deep Battle Set
Helm's Deep Legolas
(Electronic) Treebeard

The Return of the King
Treebeard

I've also pre-ordered the "Coronation Gift Pack" and "Black Gates of Mordor Gift Pack".

Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 07:45
I got some more over the past month or so - King Aragorn, Haradrim Archer, Legolas, King Of The Dead and Merry In Armour!
Tinwetari
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2004 06:07
I have a few action figures:

FotR 12 inch Arwen

TT Legolas in Armor

RotK Eowyn as Dernhelm

RotK Frodo in Goblin Armor

Once I get more money I'll be buying more.
clover_brook
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2004 11:51
I thought that at 22 I had a lot, but it appears I am very much mistaken! Can't tell you who I have; the poor darlings are packed away ready for the Big Move home tomorrow.
Would have others, but am a penniless student and can't afford any more...
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2004 04:58
The Coronation Gift Pack and Black Gates of Morder Gift Pack arrived on Monday. The Mouth of Sauron and his steed in the Black Gates pack are awesome. I can't wait to see them in the ROTK EE!
presage
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2004 02:08
Hi all,

My 10-year-old son loves the action figures. He collects the 6" and the AOME characters. We have over thirty 6" figures, and over 60 AOME's.

Some faces are clearly better than others, particularly in the 6" category. Any comments out there on this topic?

Also, does any one know when a new batch of figures will be released? I read somewhere on the 'net that some new ones are due out in August. Hope so. We're looking for Gothmog? My son calls him "boil-face"!

My favourites are the Legolas figures, and any figure with a horse.

There are so many wonderful LOTR things to collect -- it's always hard to decide just what to get and when. We've just started collecting the United Cutlery full-scale replica swords -- Glamdring is our first. They are magnificent. I highly recommend them!

Happy collecting to all!

presage
Rik
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 09:05
On the faces thing, paint jobs vary a lot from figure to figure. And sometimnes the company can't be bothered.
Gothmog will be released early next year. He'll be well worth the wait. The figure looks fantastic!
A load of new items have just been released in the 6" category, here's a list:
Gates Of Mordor Gift Set - Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf the White, and EXCLUSIVE Mouth Of Sauron with Armoured Steed

Coronation Gift Set - King Aragorn/Elessar, Ceremonial Éomer, Coronation Arwen, and EXCLUSIVE Lady Éowyn and Prince Faramir

Deluxe Poseable Fell Beast with Ringwraith Rider

Fellowship Of The Ring Asst 3:
Moria Goblin Archer
Elendil with Narsil-Attack
Gil-Galad with Spear-Attack
Elrond in Council Robes
Lurtz with Bow-Fire
111th Birthday Bilbo with Party Barrel

Return Of The King Asst 3:
Ringwraith with Sword-Attack
Super-Poseable Shelob
Super-Poseable Coronation Gimli
Coronation Arwen
Cirith Ungol Uruk with Scimitar and Shield
Super-Poseable Mount Doom Sméagol with The One Ring

As for The Two Towers Asst 3, they're not out yet but they're not far off. That lot consists of:
Isengard Orc with Axe
Super-Poseable Helm's Deep Aragorn
Super-Poseable Frodo
Gamling
Boromir in Armour with "Cloven"(Meaning they said it was cloven but they lied) Horn Of Gondor

[Edited on 28/7/2004 by Rik]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email