Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Earrinde
Council Member
Send Message
Post Eowyn and the Witchking - What do you think?
on: January 23, 2004 06:19
When I saw the Eowyn scene with the Witchking in RotK I was quite disappointed! When I read the book I thought she was more or less fearless. I saw her as brave, corageous, and really a kick ass chick. However, when I watch the movie, I though she reminded me off a timid mouse!

Anyone agree!?!?!

[Edited on 26/1/2004 by Ringhilwen]
Michelle
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Eowyn and the Witchking - What do you think?
on: January 23, 2004 06:42
I found her very believable. She wanted to fight for her people, yet she was afraid. It would have been a little over the top if she had faced the Witchking without even blinking. As it is portrayed in the movie, she is even more courageous, because she fights her fears and does what she thinks right.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 08:26
I saw her as brave, corageous, and really a kick ass chick. However, when I watch the movie, I though she reminded me off a timid mouse!

Éowyn isn't a kick ass chick, certainly not in the books. She is a real flesh and blood woman, who rides to certain death in the hopes to find glory, a meaning in life, there. She is suicidal, not heroic. I think if there was one scene where you actually see Éowyn for what she is - a confused young woman looking for a place in this world and finding it (presumably) in a glorious death - is when she confronts the Witch-king and even though she's terribly afraid and realises she doesn't really belong there, finds that this ís her place after all.
peregrin_shadowfax
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 09:21
*nods and agrees with earrinde*
:dizzy:
Irethyne
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 09:30
I thought that the scene was great when I saw it.
The only thing that bothered me was that it seemed after all, happen too easily. She just went there with her sword and cuts the Nazgül's head off and then quite easily kills the Witchking by stabbing him just once!
Maybe there was no time to show more, and those battle scenes are already quite long as well as the whole movie.

Anyway, RotK is the greatest film I've ever seen! :love:

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by Irethyne]
FaramirsQuality
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 09:30
Eowyn was great! The only disappointing thing to me is the scene seemed to go by too fast somehow.

Anyone going into battle has a right to be scared. Overcoming it, or fighing in spite of it, makes you more courageous than someone fighting just cause they want to go and kick u-know-what. No political or personal offense intended.

[Edited on 23/1/2004 by FaramirsQuality]
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 09:46
I agree with Michelle that she was heroic, and that it's more believable for her to be afraid, but to face that fear and do what she knows has to be done! Personally, I am not a timid little mouse, but if I was faced by someone like the Witch King, I have no problem admitting that I'd be afraid! Anybody that goes into a battle (esp. one like the ones in LOTR) would be afraid, and anybody that said they weren't would be lying! All of the Men from Gondor and Rohan were afraid too! You could see it in their eyes (which is great by the way!), especially at the Black Gate and when Faramir and the Cavalry ride to Osgiliath! They were wall afraid, but they did their duty, did what they had to, and in the end I think that's true heroism! Something Eowyn definitely displays in that scene against the Witch King!
peregrin_shadowfax
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 11:27
... I was agreeing with Figwit, actually..

hmmm...

*nods and agrees with figwit*
~Narya~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 12:29
...so was I (agreeing with Figwit, that is ). When I first read the books Eowyn became one of my favourite characters. She was portrayed soo intensly that you could actually "feel her pain" to use an american expression. In the movie I was initially disappointed, she came out "needy" everytime Aragorn was around. In the battlescene the "book-Eowyn" came through. I liked it very much, but like som much in ROTK the scene was too short and ended up in one big loose thread (The finding of Eowyn, the House of Healing, Faramir). But there is still hope - EE-hope.

But Eowyn has been robbed of a good ending before...in the book Tolkien - in my view - absolutely betrays her in the end and make her say things like "I want to give up the sword, be a woman and heal people".

Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 01:05
Well who could not BE afraid of that mace? I mean heck , I'd be freakin scared if I was Eowyn. We don't know what comes after death, none of US have taken that path.

PJ didn't really show, how drastic Aragorn/Eowyn's love is really, I mean sure he says he doesn't love her, she grieves, but that's about it in the movies. In the books she rides to death, at least she wanted to. She wanted to die as and honourable shield-maiden.
Michelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 03:40
I liked Eowyn in the books because she was depicted as a strong woman in a thousand page volume devoid of any other memorable female characters. She wanted to help, to fight as all the men did, yet she was always caught up in her gender role. I just found it kind of tragic back then, but if I read it now with all the gender theory background I've done in the last year, I'd probably have even stronger emotions about her character.

In the movies, she really shines in RTOK whereas it's true that she's mostly lusting after Aragorn in TTT (and who would not unterstand *g). I liked her a lot in ROTK and even more because she showed fear and weakness only to overcome both.
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:15
That scene was awesome, Eowyn is awesome, enough said. xx-Amanda
Aniron_Valandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:57
Real bravery is being scared to death but still going forward.

I felt her fear, you could see it in her eyes. that was the part I looked forward to the most, she was just awsome. I can't wait for the extended edition, hoping to see more of Eowyn.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 02:29
I agree with Figwit, well explained.

Being strong and brave does not mean that one cannot be scared. She is not Supergirl (no offense to Supergirl), just a woman of flesh and blood, who rode out to war for somewhat wrong reasons and still kept her valour.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 24, 2004 11:34
I agree with Figwit, well explained.

Being strong and brave does not mean that one cannot be scared.

Yes, I agree. And I'm going to relate this to bungy jumping for a second ... When you're standing on the edge, you're terrified. But you can still be brave, even if you're terrified, by actually jumping off. And that's Eowyn for me - she was terrified, but she still stood there and fought with this thing that no one else had the courage to face.

Great scene - one of the most unforgettable moments of the film, and one that recieved the most cheers .
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2004 11:24
I think there was nothing wrong with Eowyn and I agree with this: "Being strong and brave doesn't mean that one cannot be scared." I mean...that guy is a Witchking!!!! Why she wouldn't be scared?
However...I thought that Witchking died too easy. When I read the book, I thought the fight would have been much longer. Now it was too short and easy, but after all..the scene was great .
Cynhild
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 01:47
Well Eowyn is obviously one of my favorite characters (see avatar ) from both the books AND the movies I don't agree with how she deserted her people. Yes she had some valid reasons but what if something bad had happened to them and she hadn't been there...Though for a girl on a suicide mission she sure kicked some ass at Pellenor Fields!
Earrinde
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 10:24
Hi Everyone.

Thank you for your posts. I think my first one was a little bit too hasty.
In the book I really admired Eowyn. She is what - I think - some women wish to be!

One other thing I noticed was that in the book, when she killed the Witchking didn't it sent out a loud screech/scream that was ear piercing to all around. When this happen people know the Witchking was dead. Any ideas on why PJ missed this out?

As for the scene, I agree with the rest of you totally. It was too short!

Anyway, I still totally admire her.
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 11:06

One other thing I noticed was that in the book, when she killed the Witchking didn't it sent out a loud screech/scream that was ear piercing to all around. When this happen people know the Witchking was dead. Any ideas on why PJ missed this out?

I don't even remember that screech because I read book a long time ago, but definitely: that should have been in the movie. Witchking wasn't some kind of stupid orc. His death should have been much more visible. Now it was some kind of little fight and HAH: Witchking died and nobody cared. I think people (and villains too) in Middle Earth should have reacted in some way to his death. That would have shown how powerful he was and how heroic Eowyn was because she defeated him .
Earrinde
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2004 11:21
I'll have to dig my book out to find the quote but I rememnber that when he died, there was a screech and flash of light. When this happened, everyone knew the Witchking was dead and it seemed to hearten them a little!

He should have put it in, but we have yet to wait for the EE DVD, it could be on there!
eowadia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 01:23
I love eowyn and i think she is well written in the movie. But I think tat the deathy of the witchkingwas indeed too fast. And I don't like how he died he just shrinked, Strange I tought. Hope there will be more of her in the EE
samandfrodoforever
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 02:55
Well I just read that part of the book, and it was indeed pretty short. And yes the Witch King sort of does shrivel up. His entity flys up out of his black cloak which lies in a heap on the ground. I thought the scene was fine the way it was, almost spot on, xx-Amanda

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by samandfrodoforever]
eowadia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 06:18
already than! have to read the books more offen. Bad eowadia!!:dizzy:
Rethehare
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 01:02
I think, that not only the fight with Witch King, but all Eowyn's scenes are fantastic. You can easily see at the first moment, when the battle starts, her thought is What did I get myself in she is really scared but does not turn back. It's great that PJ didn't show her as some Rohan Super-Valkyrie but as a real woman, desperate, unhappy, scared, but brave and determined to fight to the end.
eowyn_restless_maiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 02:13
Anyone would have been scared to face the Witchking,but it was better in the book,I agree though,it did go by to fast in the movie.
Cynhild
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 04:47
This is a tad off-topic but I'm going to be brave and post it anyways...
When watching the scene with the Witch-king (about the 154'th time that I saw the movie!) I remembered reading about how much time and effort Miranda Otto put into that character. It really shows... especially in that particular scene and with Theoden's death scene and I'm quite glad that she managed to pull of one of my favorite characters so well. Not to mention one of my favorite scenes! So anyone who loves Eowyn owns Miranda a huge thanks!
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2004 05:30
Thats one of my favorite scenes from the entire movie! The scene where Eowyn destroys the Witch-King. And I think the best one-liner from all three movies: "I am no man!" I loved it!! I don't think Eowyn could have been portrayed any better honestly.
luvlijah
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 12:40
In my opinion, I think that it was too short and it seemed that both Eowyn and Merry (or was it Pippin?! Oh, I can't remember ) recovered very fast from stabbing the Witch King. Not how it really was...
Cynhild
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2004 05:09
Well it will be more realistic once the EE with the Houses of Healing scene come out. I'm giddy all ready! :love:
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:23
People, you cannot be COURAGEOUS without possessing FEAR. She did a wonderful job as Eowyn.

I must say that no one speaks about what Merry did. I guess he is easily forgotten since he is like "3 feet" tall.
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 07:59
OK, I had to post to this. I agree with most everything said thus far, that Eowyn was suicidal, but I also think in the process of trying to die, she found her reason to live. The whole thing is about making hope where there is none, and possessing courage beyond what you believe you have. And I agree, there cannot be courage without fear...the very act of being courageous is overcoming fear.

As for the scene itself, it was pretty accurate as far as the book, but I think they could have "done it up" a little more, since the rest of the battle was very elaborate, and the Witch King was very significant...after all, he was leading the army of Minas Morgul.

This one's a bit personal for me too...a friend of mine (whose permission I don't have to mention here so I must be vague as I don't want him swamped with emails) does...how do I put it..."public role play" as characters from various fantasy movies, and most recently, the Witch King. Take "public role play" how you will. I joined him in one of his performances not too long ago, you guessed it, as Eowyn, to "kill" him. My friend is almost 7' tall in his costume and it's very convincing and authentic. And I have to admit...I never for a minute knew it wasn't a game of "adult pretend" for the entertainment of an audience, I never once thought I was in danger, and I never fooled myself into believing it was anyone but my friend in that costume (or nothing in that costume...shudder) except for just the normal feeling one gets when they are in a character, but he still creeps me out when he's wearing that thing. For some reason, when he's in costume, I treat him with more...reverance...and I can't bring myself to touch him other than to rehearse or perform. It's like he might, just possibly, at any given moment, begin to radiate evil.

So think about it...there you are, the "real" Eowyn, facing the "real" Witch King of Angmar...and you wouldn't be creeped out? I know, yes...it's just a very well done set of characters and costumes, but sheesh...he's lord of the Nazgul. If even I can't just march up to my friend when he's in costume, think how Eowyn felt. She had to make us believe it wasn't a costume. And she did. She was fighting for the life of Theoden and that made her face him...I think it was a great scene. I've been there.

[Edited on 1/2/2004 by ~Estel~]
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 08:08
well, yeah, and she had just seen her uncle, who had been like a father to her, tossed around like a rag doll!

People, she's not completely cold and without emotion!
Elvinman
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 03:21
I think the Eowyn scene was the cheasiest scene from any movie ive ever seen. Thw whole "I am no man" made me start laughing!

I hope someone agrees with me, and I agree she wasnt a courageous as she was in the book.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 08:44
Yeah, well, a sentence like "But no living man am I. You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter" works well in the book, but not in the movies. It is too long for such a (relatively) short scene. So I think the short version captures the essence good enough.
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 10:23
~Estel~ Oh how I hope that someone of my friend would own that costume too . Don't understand this wrong. I know what you mean and I definetily agree what you said about Eowyn and Witchking. And the scene was great. I just hoped it would have been a little longer . Anyways...I'm so crazy that I just can't hate Nazguls. Actually I like them. Very much . If someone of my friends had Nazgul costume, I'm not sure what I would do with him .
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email