Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Eowyn and the Witchking - What do you think?
on: February 04, 2004 07:58
hey i thought that scene was absoloutly awsome!!! i loved the line:
I am no man

it was great!
Earrinde
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 09:30
Hiya everyone!

I went to see RotK again last nite! I take my post back - well part of it anyway! The scene was fantastic, but they should have put the part in where the Witchking shrieked. But, ya never know, it could be on the EE! Eowyn does totally kick-ass!
Saradoc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 10:12

Ah it was nice. I think they should have extended it though. Perhaps in the EE? !!! I liked it when Merry stabbed him in the leg, and his sword sort of, ... poofed-ish, and he like, fell back clutching his arm, very well done methinks! Oh, man Merry is soooooooo hot... :drool:

Anyhow, back on to the subject. I hope it is extended a tad in the EE, either that, or i'll just play it in slo-mo everytime i see it on DVD cuz it is wanna of my favorite bits! Teeheehee, GO MERRY! (:love, GO EOWYN! () WAHOO!
¬Saradoc

BTW, what do you guys think about the Merry-stabbing-Wiki-part? :heart:...
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 10:38
Wiki. LOL...I'm never going to be able to take that scene seriously now. Thanks.

I don't really have an opinion on that part of the scene itself. If I had to say from a personal perspective, very brave, but quite futile. If faced with the Witch King himself, I would think stabbing him the leg would only serve to enrage him...which it did. I think it was a very well done scene, would like to see it extended a bit, but even though it follows the book more or less, it should have taken more than that to kill him. He's supposed to be invincible.

When I saw it the second time, somebody in the theater went "That's IT? You can't do that to him, he's the Witch King". Pretty funny.
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2004 09:54
Wiki! Am I only one who thinks that sounds sweet?
About Merry stabbing *cough* Wiki. I think Merry was very brave. I'm pretty sure that Witchking would have killed Eowyn if Merry hadn't stabbed him.
Eyborg
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 01:27
I thought Éowyn was very brave standing up against the Witch king. I mean, the Witch King even scared the hell out of the hardest male soldiers out there! So why shouldn't Éowyn have been scared? I thought she was great! And Merry as well, don't forget him.
Annatar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 01:44
Well who could not BE afraid of that mace? I mean heck , I'd be freakin scared if I was Eowyn.

They got the whole scene wrong, utterly wrong.

The main problem was PJ made the Witch King look like a clutz, it took him at least 6 swings to actually hit Eowyn.

Remember now that in the proper version of events (ie. the book), the Witch King gets straight up, and hits her with his first, I repeat FIRST stroke.

Another one of PJs unnessacery changes. But I guess he was just continuing his thing of making the Nuzgul into a bunch of ineffectual boogie men (after all they did come off as rather weak and incompetent throught PJ trainwreck of a trilogy).

One other thing,
the Witch king weilded a mace (A short pole arm with a weighted head), not a bombing knocker the size of a small car, like the one PJ dishes up.
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 10:48
They got the whole scene wrong, utterly wrong.

The main problem was PJ made the Witch King look like a clutz, it took him at least 6 swings to actually hit Eowyn.

Remember now that in the proper version of events (ie. the book), the Witch King gets straight up, and hits her with his first, I repeat FIRST stroke.

Another one of PJs unnessacery changes. But I guess he was just continuing his thing of making the Nuzgul into a bunch of ineffectual boogie men (after all they did come off as rather weak and incompetent throught PJ trainwreck of a trilogy).

I think that Witchking should have been stronger. In the movie Gandalf described him like he was an invincible enemy, but after all he was defeated rather easy. Although there were some thinks I didn't like, I still think that the scene was great. Not as great as I had expected, but it's still one of my favorites. PJ made awesome job and I really appreciate that.

[Edited on 9/2/2004 by Moonwalker]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 11:17
Annatar, first of all: we haven't seen the complete trilogy yet. Maybe we should wait for the EE to judge PJ's work?

As for the Witch-King coming across as too weak, that's only natural: after all it wasn't credible in the books, and it was bound to look unbelievable in the movie - this mighty sorceror who knocks about a little tiny girl, but in the end gets killed by her. How lovely that idea is, it just wouldn't work for people who don't get Tolkien's world.

As for the mace - Sauron has a mace in the Prologue of FOTR - it would have been even more confusing if the Witch-King had the same weapon.
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 07:34
I agree with Figwit. "Trainwreck" might be a little too strong. Now, I'm as pure as any purist, but a book is not a movie and a movie is not a book. If you think PJ's works were so abysmal, do better. Do what he did. I thought so...

I know that might sound a little harsh, and there are some things in the movies that bug me to no end...like Elves at Helm's Deep...but in the movies, they worked. For instance, Arwen's expanded role and her taking the place of Glorfindel. Pet peeve? Sorta...but there was a reason. He had to get her into the story and show her significance to Aragorn and in the story in general. Otherwise none of the rest of it would have held much water.

As for the Witchking scene, he died in the book, he died in the movie. He didn't do all that great for himself in the book either...yes, he did hit her with his first stroke, but the fact remains that Eowyn still killed him. And yes, Merry recognized her earlier in the movie than in the book, but...yeah. If this were real life, and you were standing before the Witch King of Angmar, Lord of Minas Morgul, Lord of The Nine, do you think you'd win? That's why it's a work of fiction/fantasy.

Get over it. The trilogy was great. The scene was great for the most part (JMO of course). Let's not lose the messages and the works themselves in the minutia. And again, we haven't seen it all. For example, when I saw FOTR, I was all "he just let them in to Lothlorien? And where's the gift giving scene?" No, they weren't blindfolded, but in the EE they didn't get in so easily either. Cut PJ some slack...I think there's a reason no one did this sooner.

[Edited on 8/2/2004 by ~Estel~]
PrincessLothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 11:18
I agree with everyone who said that the scene was too short, but here's another perspective on things.

PJ never mentions that the blade Merry has is from the Barrow-downs, made for the army of the Witchking long ago. The hobbits don't go to the Barrow-downs, Aragorn gives them weapons. Tolkien says in the books that no other blade (meaning, Merry's or presumably any of the other hobbits' swords) could have dealt such a terrible blow to the Witchking. So, when you say Merry stabbed his leg and "that's all?", that was quite alot. If Merry hadn't stabbed him with the Barrow-downs blade, Eowyn would not have been able to kill him. Which is also why the Witchking died so quickly. Merry's blade broke the "spell," for lack of a better word.

I understand why the hobbits didn't go to the Bombadil's or Barrow-downs, but in my opinion that greatly undermined scenes later in the films, like this scene we're discussing. So, my opinion is, I don't like this scene because it was too easy to kill the Witchking, but if you've read the books (and debated over them with friends) you'll understand that it wasn't exactly as easy to do as it looked.
woodstar
Therapist for Gollum
Send Message
on: February 08, 2004 07:55
Okay guys, this is a reminder to keep things calm, civil, and mature. If we can't do that, I will be forced to close the thread. Remember, everyone *is* entitled to their own opinion.
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 01:58
Okay guys, this is a reminder to keep things calm, civil, and mature. If we can't do that, I will be forced to close the thread. Remember, everyone *is* entitled to their own opinion.

Yep, they are. And that was mine.

I don't think I was being uncivil...if I was, I apologize. I just have a tendency to call things as I see them, not necessarily be rude in the process.
square
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 07:23
I was a little disappointed with that scene. I liked it better in the book.
Krazi4Kirby
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 04:56
All I can say is that I thought that scene was kinda short, you know? In the book she says a lot more, rather than just, "I will kill you if you touch him" and "I am no man." Those aren't even really the words she says. But anyway, I don't remember exacly what happened in the book, I haven't read it recently, but she had a bit more of a cooler part there. As for the fear that you could see, I would have been much more afraid, I assure you! The movie theater doesn't really let you experience the fear that the ringwraiths give people... I can listen to their shriek and not have to cover my ears or anything, while everyone else is is trying to make the sound stop, you know?
Shadowfaxie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2004 10:39
I'm NOT agree at all! I think It's great that you see that Èowyn's afraid, couse that shows not a complete fearless lady. I think that would be weird. I think she's brave. She's so afraid, but she doesn't move! She stays there and doesn't leave before Theoden is "saved" from the nazgul.

I think It was SO great! It was more then I had expected! I was so sure I would be dissapointed, but insted I was SO happy! I felt like that was taken straight out of the book! GO PJ! GO Èowyn! Go Miranda!
Eowyn22
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 03:41
I was hoping for some sword-fighting,like in the ROTK video game.All she really does is dodge his blows and stick her sword in his head.

:angry: :cry: :dizzy:
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2004 08:05
I for one am glad that Eowyn shows fear. It makes her character much more believeable. After all, how many of us could say that they could stand before the Witch King and not be terrified? Eowyn would have been just another "mary-sue, obnoxious female warrior super hero" if she had faced him without any emotion.

So yes, apart from the fact that the scene was too short, I was happy with the way she was portrayed.
Casterino
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2004 10:48
Due to severe lack of money I've only been able to see ROTK twice so far, and that last time was early January so not everything is crystal clear, but I'm sure I remember the Witch King's scream as he died (it was terrifying and fantatsic at Minas Morgul) and I'm sure it was here too.

Anyway, There's a pretty good chance we'll see a little more in the EE of their fight...but then again...do we need to? I mean he has the Huge eveil looking weapon and to have the fight any longer...I mean she can duck and move aside a few times but it's hardly going to be a clash of weapons...one hit from that thing and the Witch King would most likely break her blade and take half her arm off with it!.

I also think the impact of his death will be greater too in the EE of ROTK. We've all seen the Witch King confont Gandalf in the trailer...so I'm assuming that will be in there. And I've raised this point in other threads, but I'll raise it here again. When Gandalf reaches Denethor at the pyre, his staff is gone...where...well I'm guessing that the Witch King took him on and broke it...and as the staff is the source of a wizard's power then that kind of shows that the Witch King was pretty close to taking Gandalf out. The only reason he doesn't, if this bit is in the EE and follows the book, is that he's distracted by the arrival of Theoden and his forces...whom he then goes on to kill. So that alone will show how powerful the Witch king is...and for the audience...if not for some reactions of the characters and armies on screen...will lead to a greater impact when Eowyn kills him.

And their duel was great for me. I love the change of weapon and she certainly didn't come across as weak. Scared out of her skin maybe, but then anyone facing up to the Witch King would be.
Freodwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 09:47
The book describes Eowyn as being "faithful beyond fear", so I didn't mind her being afraid of the Witch-King. As others have said, it was perfectly logical for her to be afraid of the Witch-King. She would not have even confronted him if her uncle wasn't at stake. That's why I admired her in the book to begin with; she loved Theoden so much, she was willing to give her life for him. At first, she rode to battle for honor, but during the Witch-King battle she fought for love.
Frosty_Lily
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 09:13
yaaaayyyy! Thank you so much Eowyn22! I knew Eowyn had to be one of the secret characters you unlock in the RotK game!
As for me and my freind, we are extremely useless and can't even gat past level three! *sobs* why?

Anyway, I thought the scene was amazing! Miranda was really great buuut..I didn't like the way the witchking grabbed her round the neck and said :"dieeee" or the way he sort of scrunched up and died. Like Merry also.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 18, 2007 02:21
When Gandalf reaches Denethor at the pyre, his staff is gone...where...well I'm guessing that the Witch King took him on and broke it...and as the staff is the source of a wizard's power then that kind of shows that the Witch King was pretty close to taking Gandalf out. The only reason he doesn't, if this bit is in the EE and follows the book, is that he's distracted by the arrival of Theoden and his forces...whom he then goes on to kill. So that alone will show how powerful the Witch king is...and for the audience...if not for some reactions of the characters and armies on screen...will lead to a greater impact when Eowyn kills him.
Absolutely! I guess most of us have seen the EE since this was posted so Casterino was right about Gandalf.

The arrival of Rohan in both book and film represents one of Tolkien's "eucatastrophic" moments. A turning point when all seems lost. There may seem a price to pay though. As the Witch King is diverted by the horns of Rohan, Gandalf is able to save Faramir ... but we lose Theoden. Theoden, however, knows it is his time, and the absence of Gandalf allows Eowyn and Merry to fulfil their own destinies.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2007 06:53
I thought the scene between Eowyn and the Witch King was very well done. If she had been totally fearless it wouldn't have been believeable. I mean if you're faced up with a dude that is very hard to defeat and is second to Sauron I would be a little scared too.

I think the fact that she was afraid made it more realistic. Battle with anyone is a scary thing, but battle with a Witch King is a really scary thing.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2007 07:15
Im thought miranda was brilliant!!!!
but thats just me..lol
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2007 09:56
She was brilliant LadyLothiel. She played the part emensly well, I thought. And she's my favorite female character, other than Galadriel.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
~LadyOfEdoras~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2007 10:05
hurray for eowyn!!lol
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2007 04:44
I think it was cool that Glorfindel's prophecy was fullfilled and that the Witchking was killled by a woman and not by a man, plus it shows that Eowyn is really a strong character.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2007 01:43
yeah, it's amazing! I love it, and her strength is so awesome. It makes you think you can do anything. Well, it makes me feel that way.
Denethorsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2007 11:58
The girl was a fighter. She was brave.
Ithilien_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2008 07:02
I think that Eowyn in the movies was not how i imagined her to react. especially since it seemed to happen all to easily. There was no hesitation in her eyes and there should be especially if she is afraid like people say she is. I was her as a little too over courageous and fearless. I would have played up her fear a little more.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2008 03:31
What would you do if a giant beast with the Witch King on his back came flying over?
I think she acted like a normal person would of. The Witch King can drive fear into anyone.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email