Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Grey Havens - Why do we cry?
on: January 31, 2004 01:10
I do. Everytime, reading or watching. Is it because Frodo is forever changed? Are we feeling for his companions who'll never see him again? (save for Sam, of course) Or perhaps, tears of happiness that the Ringbearers will finally have peace and rest. A mixture of the three? I believe it's the bittersweet spirit of Tolkien's work, any thoughts?
DarkwingedDragon
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Grey Havens - Why do we cry?
on: January 31, 2004 05:17
I think that I cried at the Grey Havens because I finally found that Frodo's journey had come to an end and he could live the rest of his life out in peace. That he could bid farewell and safe and happy lives to his friends, those who walked, talked, lived and laughed, cried and slept along side him. I think also, that in that time, we all find something to relate to here. Some of us choose to leave our friends and family behind, never to rejoin them and we find it will be hard but we will be where we want to be, some of us find we will learn remember all of our hard times and those closest to us through it all, yet we will move on knowing they are gone, we keep our memories inside where they can be protected for all of eternity. Hey, these are my thoughts on it, right?
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 06:17
You only start crying at the Grey Havens? I'm balling all the way through the coronation.

Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 06:32
Yeah I've been balling through this entire movie already... haha!

But anyway, I cry b/c its sad that he's leaving his friends behind and they'll never see him again. It's as if he died... well to the hobbits anyway, they won't be seeing him again. I suppose its better than him dying, b/c he'll be at peace but the concept is similar.
~Estel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 07:03
I suppose I could answer the question, hmmm?

I'm not really sure why I cry. Probably because everything turned out fine, but then kind of....didn't. The whole movie is a series of ups and downs...of hope that gets dashed, and the hope for hope that isn't yet there...blind faith that if they just walk one more step, kill one more enemy, take one more risk that maybe, just maybe, things will turn out.

So we get to the Grey Havens, and I think we've all been there...torn between our happiness and the happiness of someone else. We all want the people we care about to be happy, but on the same hand, we don't want to lose them. We feel the feeling that Frodo talks about, of being torn in two. We want Frodo to be happy and have a peaceful and fulfilling life, but yet we don't want his friends to lose him and see them hurt.

I cry too partially because it's just so moving...that there was never any hope, yet faith and will created hope out of nothing...I think it's the thing we all wish for...that if we just believe, it will happen.
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 10:28
The thing that really made me cry at the Grey Havens was when Sam was watching the ship go into the distance, because youm could see that he felt that he was never going to see him again (but in the end he does in the end) but I din't cry as much at the Grey Havens as i did when they were all bowing down to the Hobbits when Aragorn becomes King. I really cried in that part:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Daewen_oGurth
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 10:49
They all get to see him again. They all go to the same place anyway. But I cry because he has finally found peace. Another reason is because after all he's done he can't enjoy the beauty of the Shire because of his hurts.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 31, 2004 10:59
So we get to the Grey Havens, and I think we've all been there...torn between our happiness and the happiness of someone else. We all want the people we care about to be happy, but on the same hand, we don't want to lose them. We feel the feeling that Frodo talks about, of being torn in two. We want Frodo to be happy and have a peaceful and fulfilling life, but yet we don't want his friends to lose him and see them hurt.

Yes, I think that's why I cry. There are some scenes which are just plain heartbreaking (Faramir and Denethor, Frodo sends Sam home), and there are some that are really happy (Fellowship reunited, the coronation) and I cry in both those sorts of scenes. But at the Grey Havens I cry because it is bittersweet, and you do feel torn in two. And also I think subconsciously I'm also crying because it is the end for us too, the audience. Our journey is ending in the same way Frodo's is - we're saying goodbye to all our friends. I always lose it when Gandalf says "Farewell my brave hobbits." I think it just shows how much they've grown...It's a beautiful scene, even through wells of tears.
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 06:52
I cried because I could feel the pain that the hobbits felt. The sadness of saying goodbye to Gandalf and Frodo forever. :cry:

I also cried because in my mind I knew that Elrond, Galadriel, and Celeborn were leaving Arwen behind to her doom never to see them again perhaps until the end of the world. :cry:

snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 09:56
I cry because of Pippin's outfit. That scarf is enough to bring anyone to tears...

But, honestly, I think I cry for a nice combination of all of the things that everybody here has mentioned. It is definitely a bittersweet situation. Frodo has just risked absolutely everything to save the people and places he loves (sad!). Although for the most part he is successful (happy!), he's been through to much to appreciate his own sacrifice (sad again). Then he finds a way to feel complete and to have his wounds healed (happy!). However, this means leaving behind the Shire and all of his friends (sad). I think it is that combination of relief and of nostalgia that brings forth tears. Frodo's sort of shifty eyes as he knows that he is going to leave but wants to put off the moment as much as possible are just the sweetest thing ever. And then the kiss... So beautiful... You can almost catch Sam sort of lean in a bit and Frodo pull him a little bit closer, and oh my does that make me cry like a baby! They're hobbits, for goodness sake! Just let them be happy! ::sobs::
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 10:41
I cried, a lot.

I probably cried for a lot of things: Frodo leaving his friends, and especially Sam. My God, people around me and my friend must have thought that we were maniacs!
I also cried because this whole adventure was over now - no more waiting, no more hearing rumours, watching trailers and stand in queues for hours. It feels like Peter Jackson took all the fans on a three year journey, and now we're back home again. RotK EE will be like looking in a photo album from the journey.

Why does it have to be over now? Me and my friend was thinking that the Scouring of the Shire would make a brilliant movie itself. That's just dreaming of course, that PJ actually would do that, but you still can't dream, right? I just can's accept that it's over, hell, I hated myself for crying because there wasn't going to be another movie. I mean, come on, I seldom cry, but there I was, whimpering because of a movie.
Hell, I even can't keep on writing now...I'll begin to cry!
Eladriewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 11:34
Who didn't cry? Honestly. I thought Theoden's death was sad, and Sam being sent away, but my heart shattered when Gandalf turned to tell Frodo to follow him. Especially when he said goodbye to Sam.
I cried also because now it was all over. I'll miss going to see the next installment for the trilogy. It was tradition to go see it at least three times before it was taken out of the theater.
But yeah I cried, and I'm not one to get teary eyed at a movie either.
Puppet_Master
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 02:03
In fact I didn´t cryed for that. But in books I really feel sad reading the endind of LOTR, when everybody takes thair ways apart, then Frodo´s situation in the Shire, then leaving ME, and the story of Aragorn and Arwen. Hummm, sad, LOTR ending.
But in the movie, for me it was sad Theoden´s death
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 02:36
well, i didn't shed a tear during any of the movies - say i'm crazy and i guess you'd be right, but i didn't. they moved me really much and i felt like crying after all three. i just didn't for some strange reason...

if i had cried, i don't think i would have cried that much because it's all so sad that frodo leaves his friends and all that. my reason to cry would have been the whole movie itself, its greatness, and well...the strange feeling you get while watching. during the movies i was completely overwhelmed and at the end it usually reached its climax. and then the credits with the songs that were so sad...i think that would have been the moment i would have started crying.
elvesrock
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 02:55
Hm...I think the reason that we cry is because it's over. All of it. The journey has ended and now it's time to say goodbye. Frodo realized (thanks to Gandalf and the Elves, of course) that going into the West would be his only way to be at peace at last. Yet, I agree with some of the other people here...I can relate. You feel torn in two. You don't want to leave your friends who you went through so much with. Smiles, tears, pain, happy times, and the sad. They became such a part of your life, and you feel like you just can't let them go. You can't. But in your heart, you know that to find rest, you must. It's the hardest thing in the world...And I know, I've been through it.

So I guess I cried a lot because sorta know how Frodo felt. And I also know how Sam feels, to be left behind and miss his best of friends for a long time (although he does reunite with him later). And that kiss was just the most beautiful part of the movies. I was bawling during that part; my friends thought I was crazy. But it was just so sad.

Tolkien is a genious and it's amazing how he writes. He writes in a way that lets you be able to relate to the situation, to the characters. And Peter Jackson has the amazing way to put it in picture. It just totally blows me away.

Anyway........Yeah, I was sobbing like a baby during that part. C'mon, we all know that you cried too.
Aiwendil_Tenuvial
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 03:13
I think we cry because he leaves and Merry and Pippin will never see him again. It's like he's leaving his family behind.
Frodofancier
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 03:30

Why does it have to be over now? Me and my friend was thinking that the Scouring of the Shire would make a brilliant movie itself. That's just dreaming of course, that PJ actually would do that, but you still can't dream, right?

I think that, too! Wouldn't that be great? At least we'd get the Hobbits back for one more film!
frodos_favorite_girl
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2004 06:01
:cry: ohh just thinking about it makes me want to cry. :cry

Every time read the books, before the movies came out and now after, it always makes me sooo very sad when the end comes. I agree with all of you. Its many things. I think the biggest for me are that its over...just over. There is no more and its all done. And the fact that Frodo is changed...all the hobbits are changed...forever. They will never be the same hobbits that left the Shire not knowing what they were getting into so very long ago. They have all been through and seen too much. They arent carefree anymore and i think that fact saddens me more then anything. I dont know why but i dont really like change that much.... Then there is always the fact that Frodo (and Bilbo and Gandalf) is leaving Middle-Earth (and his friends). After being through so much together it is just so sad that they are being separated...

oh dear im tearing up now....

im really sad that the movies are over and there will be no more.....its such an amazing tale...its more then a story and so much more then anything that has ever before been (and probably will be too) that it makes me sad to see it finished. I love the books and read them all the time...but every time i finish it makes me so incredably sad that i have to start to read them all over again :blush:

i just wish it could go on forever....
~Vic~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 11:55
well, i didn't shed a tear during any of the movies - say i'm crazy and i guess you'd be right, but i didn't. they moved me really much and i felt like crying after all three. i just didn't for some strange reason...

same with me! i didn't cry either, though the grey havens part and theoden's death and pippin's song were sad enough that i could have. i was sad at the grey havens part because the fellowship had finally broken up and there won't be any more adventures, as well as the fact that frodo went through so much peril in order to save the shire, but never ended up enjoying the peace and quiet of the shire for the rest of his days like he wanted.

[Edited on 2/2/2004 by ~Vic~]
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 12:57
I cried dramaticaly for the book,:cry:, I cried insanely for the havens,:cry:. I think it's because for these past 3 years, WE have been traveling with the fellowship, in the book, it was even more intense. And now that the journey ended, you know nothing is going to be the same again. Now the fellowship is seperated. They won't again expirience the journey that formed their frienship. Now, they all leave, the elves to the havens, aragorn's death, sam will not have a master. And even though sauron was evil, you almost wish he wasn't destroyed, in hopes that this journey would continue, and you wouldn't have to say goodby. We cry, because this masterpeice has been created with the utmost dedication, from writer, to director, to the actors. Even while I'm writing this, I'm getting watery eyes. :cry: But anyway, this is how I see it.:cry:
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 03:18
I did not cry while the movie was still going on, but when the ship departs, I cried:cry:. Maybe it was a mixture of sad things in the movies, the knowledge that the story came to an end (and such an end, great) and a great admiration for everyone who created it (including mr. Tolkien).
Tinuvien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2004 04:07
I think there are so many different reasons for crying at the Grey Havens. For one thing, for those who've NOT read the books, it comes as a surprise, I would say.
*First off- the scene is absolutely beautiful. More than I could have ever imagined. It brought, along with the music, a peaceful feeling.
*Second- I think this is the second most important reason, maybe even the first. Sam and Frodo have lived like brothers together and love eachother and have this incredible unspoken friendship. Why should they be parted? It hurts to see my (fav character) Sam cry his heart out. It's heartwrenching.
*Third- Maybe the sole reason: is that Frodo has been taken on this journey and has changed so much. He's made new friends, and has experienced new things because of it all. It finally hit me that little Frodo had grown up and had changed from this incredibly innocent and brave character- to a knowledgeable, maybe even hardened person. I think that's what made me so incredibly sad then.:cry:
Nimrodelanduin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2004 06:55
I(Anduin) personally cried baisically all the way through the movie coz it's like the end of the trilogy! and there is not going to be another adventure with these characters... we are all so into them! but then we should remember the song: "Dont say, we have come now to the end. white shores are callling, you and I will meet again..." so they are all going to meet... again!
(That is an encouraging thought!)
Eyborg
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2004 01:22
Speaking of the Grey Havens... I was wondering... did anybody else notice, when Frodo has boarded the ship and smiles to the other hobbits one last time, Pippin smiles back very bravely through his tears, as if to say something like: "It's okay... I understand. If you're happy, I'm happy". I noticed this the third time I saw the movie... it was just so sweet, and so like Pip... :cry:

Anyway, I think I just cried for all the reasons mentioned above. Mostly the bittersweet fact that Frodo won't be seeing his friends again in this life (except for Sam), but he will still be happy in the West.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2004 07:42
Hm...I think the reason that we cry is because it's over. All of it. The journey has ended and now it's time to say goodbye. Frodo realized (thanks to Gandalf and the Elves, of course) that going into the West would be his only way to be at peace at last. Yet, I agree with some of the other people here...I can relate. You feel torn in two. You don't want to leave your friends who you went through so much with. Smiles, tears, pain, happy times, and the sad. They became such a part of your life, and you feel like you just can't let them go. You can't. But in your heart, you know that to find rest, you must. It's the hardest thing in the world...And I know, I've been through it.

EXACTLY!!
Tcherepin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2004 05:05
I didn't cry, but i got choked up.

i get emotional because I feel in the story the immense sense of the passage of time in the Grey Havens. The Gray Havens is where it ALL ends, not just Frodo and Sam and Bilbo. All of Tolkiens greatest work ends at the Gray Havens, where the elves leave the world, and the people of starlight are

gone

forever.

That intensity of imagination is really, really painful, and something about it strikes home terribly hard..
hungry_mortal
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2004 02:29
I cry because of Pippin's outfit. That scarf is enough to bring anyone to tears...

Nice!

I cry because...well, because it is over, at least the movie is over from them and for us. I also cry because nothing works out right...after all that Frodo went through for the Shire he cannot spend his last days there, and because after all the Hobbits have gone through together they are split up. :angry:

And it is all way to bittersweet... How could anyone manage not to cry?
Shadowfaxie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 12:06
I cried (a little) because:

-My dear Shadowfax wasn't there
-The end og our belowed Lord of the Rings!!!!!
-Gandalf,Elrond,Galadriel,Celeborn,Bilbo AND Frodo leaves beautiful Middle Earth forever!!!And without SHADOWFAX!
-The hobbits Sam,Pippin and Merry cries
-The music is heart breacking
-The landscape is amazing!!!:cry:
LOTRfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 01:35
I think the music makes me cry the most. Just listening to the soundtrack gets me sobbing.:cry: It gives me goosebumps!
And also... I dunno, it's hard to describe, I guess you just sort of want to be part of it, you know? It's like the friendship between the characters is so touching. I mean, you can't have a much closer friend than one who will die for you, can you? And now, after all that's happened, they should be able to just be best friends in peace. But because of the corruption of the ring, they can't. That's what really gets me.
That added to the music is just overwhelmingly sad and an unbelievably happy way. (If that makes any sense at all.)

[Edited on 28/2/2004 by LOTRfan]
legolaslover1224
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 03:46
I cry all the way through the movie, but the grey havens really gets to me. Frodo is forever changed and can't go back to the way things used to be. I also feel for Merry, Pippin and Sam, and I am glad that Frodo can finally find peace.
Lady_Nefrodiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 04:57
I cried at the Grey Havens due to a mixture of emotions. First and most obvious reason is that this the ending to a wonderful epic that we like to call The Lord of the Rings and that in itself can make any fan cry. When I read the book I felt like crying just because it was the end. It was not until the movie that these tears came to life and when they did they came with a vengence. I woudl not stop crying until I got back in my car and there I finally got a grip on myself. Another reason is because characters we have known and learned to love are leaving. Frodo and Sam are seperating and the emotions that they convey is just moving right there. That's a reason in itself the acting was so superb that they were able to convey their emotions you can't help but start crying. The whole entire scene is just beautiful and sad- a bitter-sweet ending-... I get goosebumps everytime I see it and I had tears in my eyes the first time I saw it on screen. Over all, I think it's just natural for anyone to cry during this scene.
Lorfinwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 05:38
For me, i believe i cried because i was going through much the same thing when the third movie came out. We are a Navy family, and had literally moved overseas the day before i saw it. I had to go through the same thing, leaving my friends that i had come so close to, and start a new life in the States. I remember my friends took me to a restaurant before i got on the plane, and 3 of them had to go, and it was just like the scene in the movie. They all cried and we hugged and they left, and i went with the ones who were left. And so seeing this movie and reading the book that i have loved for so long gave me something that I could relate to so deeply and really touched me. It always reminds me of those who i left behind, and in my heart i know there is a small chance that i will see them again.
Frodos_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 28, 2004 06:11
I first cried during that part in the book because it was like "Wow...it's really over...", and it's been like that every time since.

In the movie, it's a mixture of that (since it's brought to life before your eyes), and that dang sad music that's playing, and you see the characters' eyes all big and watery...awww...:cry::cry::cry::cry:
DisposableTeen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 01:26
man i cried at least 6 times during the movie......especially the coronation and the grey havens...i couldnt stop myself
frolijahlover
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 05, 2004 02:12
i cried all the movie but the grey havens is really sad&the music was soooooooo sad
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email