Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: It all started at the the white city fair
on: November 30, 2004 12:30
Zie spun around to face the three companions and many different expressions crossed her expressive eyes. They ranged from surprise - the emotion that spurred the hand on the sword hilt - to shock to disbelief and, finally, to joy. She looked from face to face, squinting a bit to see in the shadows. A small smile started on Ilmare's lips as she saw recognition in the dark eyes studying the three friends so intently.

Zie stepped forward swiftly and grabbed Tirgoth's arms, staring up into his face. The touch seemed to confirm what she thought was true; a huge smile broke over her face as she turned to Ilmare and gripped her shoulders. “I can scarce believe what my eyes see, but my hands tell me truly that you are real and not dreams any longer…after so many years.”

Tears flooded Ilmare's eyes as she squeezed Zie's shoulders in return, then released her so the taller woman could go to Paldor, standing by Ilmare's side protectively. Zie stared up into Paldor's golden eyes for a long, breathless moment. Her hands slid up his arms to his cheeks, and Ilmare had to fight back surprising feelings of possesiveness.

'He is not mine,' she reprimmanded herself. 'If he does not mind, who am I to say otherwise?' She was fooling herself, but it didn't matter at the moment, for at that moment, Zie breathed, "Golden eyes," and stepped back swiftly. Her face flickered with different emotions as she stared at the group. Ilmare got the impression that she wasn't really looking at them, but through them into a portal of memory.

The next word out of Zie's mouth sent shock waves through the group: "Galcora."

Ilmare's jaw hit the ground as she looked up at Paldor. Equal shock radiated through his handsome face; the ranger didn't dare look atTirgoth yet. Zie turned away and started walking briskly away. Ilmare almost called after her, but Zie said over her shoulder, “Come. It is time our party was complete and we gave each other some peace.”

The three looked at each other and followed their guide swiftly through the winding streets to an inn. Ilmare didn't recognize the name, but it seemed to be much like the inn where Ilmare was staying, the Falling Tower. Zie led them at a run through the common room (Ilmare didn't bother with apologies; the men in there were probably too drunk to know the difference) and up the back stairs. Zie slowed there and walked softly to and through a door.

Ilmare reached the door first and entered softly. She was in time to hear Zie say, “Galcora? Wake up. I’ve got a surprise for you.”

The woman on the bed - and how familiar she was to Ilmare's eager eyes! - sat up and looked at the three companions. Her clothes and hair were rumpled from fitful sleep; Ilmare's heart went out to her. Galcora - for who else could it be? - searched each face with the startled almost-recognition that was becoming too familiar. It was the look of one who has dreamed for years and does not believe, even now, that this dream is real. She stood up and stepped slowly toward the three companions, smiling shyly.

"Well met, Galcora." The voice was hers, Ilmare was startled to discover. She hadn't intended to talk until Paldor and Tirgoth had greeted the woman they both loved, though in different ways. She continued, "I assure you, though it is hard to believe, that we are as real as you are."
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2004 02:11
With a mysterious saying Zie was off down the streets, and the three followed right behind. Tirgoth was barely half aware, still sorting through his memories, and he did not hear what she said. She led them eagerly to an inn, up the stairs, and to a door. To Tirgoth this whole chain of events was completely surreal; after seven years of racking his brain to come up with a glimpse of a memory, here were the people from his dreams right before his eyes. It was almost too much for one afternoon.

She opened the door, and they entered the room. Paldor, Ilmare, and Zie went first. The tall shoulders of Paldor and the tall slender Zie and Ilmare blocked his view of the person lying on the bed. When Zie woke the hidden stranger up, and she got up, Tirgoth heard the rustling of her hair, and saw the glint of gold. His heart nearly dropped out of his chest.

He pushed as gently as he could past Paldor and Ilmare. There she stood, a shy smile on her face. Seven years of tossing and turning culminated at that moment. She seemed a bit bewildered, but there was a look of recognition in her eyes when she looked at Tirgoth, and that look made his heart sing with joy.

He wanted to touch her to hug her forever. He wanted to sit with her ofr hours, and talk, and laugh. He wanted to say something to her, and he opened his mouth, but nothing came out. Meanwhile, Ilmare said something, a blur, a greeting, in one ear and out the other. He only had ears, only had eyes, only could htink of Galcora. It was too much, and he reached out falteringly, but had to reach out instead and grab teh bedpost to steady himself.

After a deep breath, he partly cleared his mind, enough to stand up straight, and control strictly his face. She seemed barely to recognize him.

"Well met, Galcora," was all he could manage, but a final release of all the tension of seven years was in those words.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2004 06:21
When Zie's reached up to touch his cheek, Paldor found himself holding his breath as he gazed deep into her eyes. The woman had barely changed, he thought: The same fiercely intense gaze which seemed to probe into his very thoughts, the identical confident warrior stride which he remembered only too well. How could she have slipped from his mind all of these year, he wondered. It seemed impossible now, and yet only an hour ago, he had been completely unaware of her existence.

Beside him, Paldor sensed a slight stiffening in Ilmare as Zie held her hand against his cheek a moment longer before moving back. He was about to turn and reach for her hand when Zie stopped him in his tracks with a single word:

"Galcora"

Paldor's blood felt as if it had frozen in his veins. He didn't even dare to hope, not after so many years of despair... But Zie turned on her heel, and feeling as if he were in a dream, Paldor followed her through a maze of alleys to a small inn he didn't recognize. They hurried up the back steps and into a room on the second floor. On the bed, lay a woman with dark hair. As they entered, she sat up and gazed around at them in apparent astonishement. As soon as she opened her wide golden eyes, Paldor felt as if his knees would give way beneath him. He opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. Already, Galcora's gaze had passed from him onto Tirgoth, but Paldor didn't mind a bit. His newly returned memories reminded him that the two of them had quite a lot to catch up on. All that mattered was that his baby sister was alive! The huge burden of guilt which he had carried ever since the moment when Galcora's fingers had slipped from his grasp as she was carried away by the surging waters of the flooded river seemed to melt away, and Paldor felt himself standing taller than he had in a long time...
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2004 10:35
Ilmare shook her head, hardly believing all that was happening. She was afraid that she would wake up and find that it was all a dream, find that she couldn't speak again, find that she was so very alone with the fragments of her memories around her.

But there was something about the way her heart thudded in her chest whenever she looked at Paldor, the expression on Tirgoth's face as he stared at Galcora, the pleased smile lighting Zie's dark eyes, that told her she wasn't dreaming.

In reality, she had just woken up from a seven-year dream, a dream where she was alone and speechless. This was the truth, this was the real life she had chosen to live in. She moved to one side of the door and sat down, her back resting against the wall. They were all waiting for Galcora's response, but Ilmare knew it might be a while. It had been easier for her; she met her memories one at a time, starting with the love of her life and going through to what the witch had shown them. But for Galcora...well, she was being confronted with the past all at once. That couldn't be easy.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2004 09:20
Galcora could do nothing for a while but stare. So familiar each of them, yet she could not remember all of who they were. There, standing tall and proud, stood who could only have been her brother. So alike they were that she had no doubt of it and even now she remembered his name, Paldor. At his side stood the woman with the elvin beauty. Galcora was aware of the bond the two of them shared, it could be seen in the way they were drawing comfort from each other, in the way that they were standing close. Joy blossomed through her. She had found her brother and the healthy glow of joy and love that radiated from his face and being was refreshing, so different to her own gloomy memories. He was happy and he was in love.

Then there was the man who had often been in her dreams. She turned and found him leaning against the bed. She noticed that he was tense and he looked a bit pale. Little showed on his face, but his eyes were a sea of emotions. Galcora stared at him, her eyes wandering over his face. He was handsome, no doubt about that. A memory suddenly surfaced in which she heard herself speak his name. A lightness seemed to settle over her making her feel dizzy and a little giddy. A light blush spread over her cheeks and butterflies began their fluttering in her stomach. Galcora suddenly realized that she was acting the role of a love struck youngling. Her blush deepened at this and she once again became aware of her rumpled appearance.

"Well met, Galcora." Galcora turned to the woman surprised at hearing someone speak. "I assure you, though it is hard to believe, that we are as real as you are."
Now she could have no doubt of it. She was fully awake and they were really standing there.
"Well met, Galcora." Tirgoth had spoken with a release of tension. Galcora smiled widely and tilted her head to one side. "My dear Zie, where came you by such a group? It seems that I am the only one here who sleeps. But come now," she motioned the three guests to sit "Sit, we have much to catch up on."
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2004 05:55
(short post today, I'm up to my ears in essays)

Tirgoth saw the light of recognition in Galcora's eyes, and a huge burden was lifted off him. Grinning foolishly, like a child, he walked with the rest to a rough wooden table in teh corner of the room. He and Paldor pulled it into the middle of the room, and they all sat down. They all just looked at each other for quite a while, absorbing old memories, and recovering from the shocks of the day. Tirgoth eventually broke the silence.

"I think we ought to make formal introductions. I am Tirgoth, a blacksmith of the White City. I have been a successful craftsman for seven years." It was almost ironic how much that simple statement left out, but it was necessary to start somehow.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2004 02:42
Ilmare got up from the floor and grabbed a seat on the table beside Paldor. Tirgoth introduced himself, and Ilmare smiled to herself. It was ironic, she thought, that once we all knew each other so well...and now we have to make introductions again.

"I agree," she said, her husky voice soft. "I am Ilmare, Ranger of Ithilien. I have been helping my father since I woke up in Ithilien with no memory of how I got there and without the use of my voice." She shifted a bit as the others looked at her, but she didn't elaborate. That story was for later.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 02:57
Without the use of her voice? Paldor gazed at Ilmare in surprise. Clearly, there was more to tell, but her understood that now wasn't the time. He cleared his throat, feeling unaccountably nervous as all eyes shifted to him.

"I am Paldor, guardian and warrior of the White City. I have spent the past seven years battling the bands of uruk and orc which still infest our lands." For an instant, Paldor paused, fingered a small scar on his right cheek, remembering the uruk hai who had given it to him.

"I have also spent the past seven years mourning for my sister, whom I thought had died in a raging flood..." Paldor's voice broke on the final word and his large tawny eyes sought out his sister's. For a moment, the siblings stared at other, their twin golden irises mirroring the same pain and joy.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 08:29
Zie stood beside the bed, away from the others. She was unable to keep the smile from her lips as she watched recognition dawn on their hopeful faces. Even from behind Galcora, Zie could tell by her posture that some of the memories were returning to the fog of her mind.

"My dear Zie, where came you by such a group? It seems that I am the only one here who sleeps. But come now," Galcora said, motioning them to sit. "Sit, we have much to catch up on."

"I did not find them Galcora." Zie replied, moving to stand behind Galcora. "It is they who found me as I paid homage to the dead on the night air from the city wall. I would be in disgrace in my homeland if it were known that so distant were my thoughts that they were able to come upon me with my hearing them."

As each settled themselves, she watched Galcora and Paldor. Brother and sister they must be, that she was sure, but after so many years apart she wondered that they did not embrace or even touch. But then she supposed that this night has been too full of surprises to be sensible of such things.

In many ways Zie envied them more than she could say. She knew each face after years of dream filled nights. But only Galcora's name had come to her through the fogs of time. The others eluded her, to her consternation. Unwilling to admit that her memories were not as willing to return as theirs, she was glad when the broad shouldered lad...no, not a lad any longer.

When the broad shouldered man spoke and suggested formal re-introductions and gave his name and occupation within the city, Zie silently mouthed his and each of their names as gave them, her eyes locked on them, firmly fixing their names to their faces in her mind, determined to not forget them again.

After Paldor spoke, Zie took her turn. "In the Southern lands I am known as Ziean Azůkeŧhein, Master at Arms and teacher of the young. At least, I have been thus for the last 6 years." Her accent seemed to thicken as she spoke her full name and spoke proudly of her home. But her tone softened, as did her rolling, brutish accent when she continued. "But in these lands I am simply Zie, as you already seem to know." Her fingers went to the crystal pendant around her neck that encased the long, twined blade of dried grass.

"I know not what compelled me to return to my homeland after nearly an age...uhm..after so many years of dwelling in this land. Every night since I was became a resident of the tent cities of the sands, I stood at the tops of the dunes to watch the sun set. It was one of my students that asked me why if I watch the sun set, do my eyes stare north. So many nights have I waken my neighbors with my dreams in the darkness. I am now glad that I have decided to take the journey north to search for answers in the darkness."

A smile spread her lips again. "Already I have found those whose faces populate my dreams, and know the names that go with them."
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 06:30
(OOC: Leighlia, have I mentioned lately how much I love your writing style? You amaze me! )

As Zie spoke, Paldor smiled in recognition as her now familiar accent sent the words rolling off her tongue. The recent re-awakening of his memories made ever familiar sound and gesture infinitely precious, and he longed to shout for joy.

Realizing from Zie's explanation that the two women before them had only regained a portion of their own memories, Paldor took it upon himself to recount the recent events in the wiccan's hovel and briefly summarized the memories which had remained hidden from each of them for so long. As he spoke, Paldor could see the same light of recognition in both of their eyes, and he knew that for them too, the memories were beginning to fall into place.

"Galcora," he ventured once his tale was complete. "Gally...do you remember me now?" He advanced towards the woman whom he still thought of as his baby sister and sat beside her on the bed. His joy at finding her after thinking her dead for so many years caused him to bounce a little on the bed with excitement. Up close, staring into Galcora's eyes was like seeing his own reflected in a polished surface. That was why he had avoided looking at his own reflection for so long: Every glimpse of himself was a reminder of the sister he had failed to save...the sister who had died by his fault, his weakness. But she wasn't dead! Paldor's old grin felt unfamiliar on his face which hadn't displayed such joy in a long time. His eyes lit up and he embraced his baby sister, holding her tightly against himself as he promised himself he would never let anything happen to her again.

"Oh Gally," he whispered into her ear for only her to hear "I have mourned you and lived seven years in the deepest misery. Today, I live and breathe again. By the kings of Gondor, you are safe!"
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 09:19
Tirgoth looked around, and saw that all were, on the surface, overjoyed at finding their companions. However, he noticed too that there was still some part of them that held back. Their introductions were halting, and their eyes were nervous. Perhaps only Paldor and Galcora really believed in each other. Despite the fact that each one wanted desperately to have faith in their companions, seven years was a lot of pain, and wariness still lived.

Tirgoth had a sort of wild idea just then. There was only one way to deal with this. He sprung out of his chair, jumped onto the table, and drew his sword with a shriek of steel, holding it out aggresively in front of him.

Before they could react more than to reach for their weapons he said in a voice as booming as he could muster, "HOLD!! What was the first thought that came to your head? Do you reach for your weapons to stop me, to hurt me? Do you distrust me? Do you fear me? Or rather did you think immediately, where are the orcs?"

His question hung in the air for several stretching moments. As he looked into the eyes of all present, he could see the old fire rekindled.

His voice dropped, to practically a whisper, matching the slow scrape of his sword returning to sheath.

"We have work to do. Are we ready?"

[Edited on 19/12/2004 by Caegaraneva]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 11:18
Ilmare watched as the others introduced themselves to each other, joy ringing through their words. And yet...and yet there was still some barrier. Ilmare wasn't a poet or a writer; she didn't know how to express herself with words very well, but she knew something was still wrong.

It still came as a surprise, however, when Tirgoth suddenly jumped onto the table and drew his sword. Before her mind could really take over, the ranger woman was on her feet, her dagger hilts in her hands. She had to admit, her first thought was, 'He has gone insane; I must protect Galcora and Paldor.'

Before she could move to stand between Galcora and Tirgoth, however, the blacksmith boomed out, "HOLD!! What was the first thought that came to your head? Do you reach for your weapons to stop me, to hurt me? Do you distrust me? Do you fear me? Or rather did you think immediately, where are the orcs?"

Ilmare breathed out and resheathed her wrist daggers. Tirgoth meant no harm to the others. He looked around the room, meeting everyone's eyes for just an instant. When he came to Ilmare, she saw a fire burning in his eyes, a fire that she hadn't seen in seven years. The old fire rekindled in answer to the fiery call.

His voice dropped, to practically a whisper, matching the slow scrape of his sword returning to sheath.

"We have work to do. Are we ready?"

Ilmare sat back down beside Paldor and braced her chin on her palms. "Perhaps," she said after a moment of ringing silence, "you could fill me in on this work. I have been in Ithilien; the news of the city has been slow in reaching us."
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 01:01
Galcora memorized each feature of the faces around her as each of them spoke of themselves. She listened attentively to their words, wanting to remember everything. When her brother had spoken of his sorrow at her loss, she could not help but share it. While she had known nothing of her family the last seven years, her pain would have been much less than Paldor, who had thought her lost to death. Through losing her memories, she had been spared much sorrow.

She listened as each told their story, but as for herself, she had little to tell. They knew more about her than she knew about herself. Their familiar faces and names were the only memories so far returned to her. This was something that Paldor seemed to have picked up on, for he took it on himself to recount the tale.
"Galcora...Gally do you remember me now?" he asked after he had finished. He sat next to her and she could not help but grin in response to his. He looked younger when he smiled and even with the scars he was handsome. The woman who held his heart, and Galcora had a sneaking suspicion that she was Ilmare, would have a rare treasure in him. She was a little surprised when he pulled her into a hug, but she quickly relaxed and returned the hug with as much love as she could. In her brothers arms she felt safe and loved. "I remember" she said softly to him.

Before she could do anything else Tirgoth had jumped up and drawn his sword. She jumped slightly in surprise but she did not stand. She wondered at his question. How long ago had she held a weapon in her hand? In the village she there had been little need for it, isolated so that even orc or bandit attacks were rare. When she had awoken for the first time she had found that amongst her few remaining possessions of the past, lay two daggers. Apart from that she handled few others. Yet, that wasn't going to stop her. Whatever work needed to be done, she was going to help. She had wanted adventure and she was not going to pass up the opportunity. With Ilmare's question she waited patiently for an answer.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2004 01:58
When Tirgoth leaped atop the table and pulled out his sword with no warning, Paldor's warrior instinct kicked in and he instantly turned to face the same direction as his old friend, reaching for his own sword. But, to his great surprise, Paldor found himself facing a blank wall, with no threat in sight. Had Tirgoth lost his mind?

But a heartbeat later, his question was answered as Tirgoth cried "HOLD" and issued a ringing challenge to them all. Paldor turned back to stare in awe at the proud figure straddling the table: The fire which shone in his eyes kindled the old memories in each one of them, and Paldor could feel the excitement surge through his body. He, for one, was more than ready to leave the dreary days and nights he had endured for the past seven years behind and reclaim the joys and challenges of his youth.

When Ilmare's quiet voice rang out in the silence, Paldor turned to look at her: "Perhaps you could fill me in on this work," she asked. "I have been in Ilithien. The news of the city has been slow in reaching us." Paldor frowned, and looked back up at Tirgoth, wondering how to respond. He realized for the first time that they were the only two present who knew of the slow decay of what had once been the magnificent White City of Gondor, of the greed and corruption which ran rampant though the streets, and of the evil which seemed to have crept back into the hidden alleys of Minas Tirith. This was not the same city the others remembered, and Paldor feared that its days of glory were soon to come to a crashing end.

He struggled to find the appropriate words to explain the treachery which had been at the root of the decline, but looked to Tirgoth instead, hoping his old friend would find the words to explain to the others what had become of the ancient bastion.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2004 05:22
(OOC: Sorry for loooong, rambling, boring post. If you read it, and find some fact mix-ups, tell me and I'll edit. Or give a better idea and I'll scrap it)

Tirgoth had sat down off the table by now, his hair was tossed and his cheeks flushed with the old fire. He laid his hands out on the table; a curious gesture; he didn't know why he did it, but it helped him think. He told all he could, though the words came but slowly to his mouth.

"I believe it began when King Aragorn died." He paused, and bowed his head in memory. "The new king (OOC: steward? help me on the facts here) who has claimed the throne is not the equal of Aragorn. Indeed, I know not what man now living could equal his glory." Tirgoth slipped into recollection, "I used to see him, in the old days, at the great parades...and when he would lift that fist of his, nothing was impossible for the great men of the White City. But now," he shook his head, and ran a wearied hand through sparse hair, "Now, nothing is certain. The darkness of the night preys upon the helpless traveller. Children are stolen from the street, and thieves kill tradesmen for their goods. Worse yet," his voice dropped; this knowledge was of gravest secrecy, "figures have been spotted haunting the streets of the city. Not often, and not reliably (for the shapes appear always in the darkest of shadows, far away, and soon make haste), but still it concerns me. Several people who have come to my smithy have told me such stories, that with their own eyes they have seen such dark figures; bigger than men, they say, and these are men who have been honest to me for years! Who am I to question their truths?

"Unfortunately, the darkness of these stories fits the more malicious pattern." Here was where his thoughts became more speculation; he looked to Paldor to back him up. A solemn nod of the head gave him the courage to continue.

"There is more going on than an increase in crime. Things are being organized, somehow. Two pacifist ministers of the king were assasinated. And not only that. The killings occured on the same day." He paused for a minute to let that sink in.

"I think these black figures may be connected to the frightening developments elsewhere. But what can we do? That is the crux of a question. I still don't know. But I think I know where we can start.

"It is beyond crime, it is beyond black figures in the streets. Things are coming to pass which should have never been. We know that since the destruction of the great Enemy, the Orc-enemies have been broken; Aragorn has sought out their strongholds, and defeated them, in victory after ringing victory. But note the change. What was it that forced us, those long seven years ago, to leave the gates of the White City, and adventure to the west? It was orcs. Kidnappings, horrendous, were being commited by gangs of orcs. And look at the great state of Gondor now! I do not know what it is we accomplished on our quest; some of my memory, I fear, will not be restored. But it was not enough! Our great nation is in fear, and orcs roam, randomly."

He stood, and began to pace, nervously. What he was about to say was something so numbing he barely dared to think it. He took a deep, shuddering breath, and his voice was strong, thick with emotion, rising.

"Hear me now, friends, and know that I do not say this lightly. But these orc attacks are not random. I believe that these attacks were systematic, purposeful, and controlled by a higher purpose. And what was that purpose, my friend? To destroy, to DESTROY, the enemies of the steward. Yes, I believe, and I have nursed this belief in my breast until it has become truth, I believe that this steward has called to his arm no less than Orcs to make war upon his people!"

It now was clear, to every single one in that room, that they must act. For the first time, it was truly clear to Tirgoth. For a moment he lost the persona of the strong, resolute commander, and came to his old self, the dream-filled teenager. He sat back down with them, and said, softly, "What are we to do, my friends? I believe we can, we must do something. With the power in this room we will shake the foundations of the city, and the dust will come off its walls to the glory of all.

"But how do we start? Where do we start?" He scrunched his brow, in thought. "Where did we leave off? What is it that made us lose our memories? What happened between the inn...in the rain...and Galcora, falling into the river? I..don't understand.."

He had made his speech, and now they needed to work together, more than ever. He turned to the others; all of their minds would be stretched to the limit in this task.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 09:52
((I think it would be steward, supposed to watch over the throne until Eldarion was old enough to rule on his own))

Ilmare listened silently, her chin cupped in her palm. Now that her memory had returned, she could remember Minas Tirith in its former glory, adorned for the White City Fair, She smiled silently as she remembered that. But from what she had seen, Tirgoth was right; things had gone straight into the privy. Her heart burned for the city's former glory; for the king she had first met when he was 'merely' a Ranger. But most of all, for the innocent lives taken by one man's greed and fear. She bit her lip and blinked back tears.

The room silent for long moments as everyone digested what Tirgoth had said. At last, Ilmare cleared her throat and leaned forward a bit. "As I can recall, we did not accomplish much beyond seeing the length and breadth of the problem. We killed a few orcs, but Paldor was captured in the effort." She glanced at Paldor out of the corner of her eye. That was a hard memory; the pain was as fresh as it had been when it happened. "The inn was a resting place, where we could all recover from our wounds." Her hand unconsciously rubbed over the old scar on her thigh. "After that, we contiued on, but decided we could not cover as much ground together as we could seperately. So we separated,,," her brow scrunched, "but I do not remember beyond that." She looked at the others, hoping they could fill in the blanks for her.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 07:58
Paldor frowned as Ilmare spoke, trying to recall anything beyond what had happened at the inn. He noticed Ilmare's hand as it strayed to a long thin scar which marred her beautiful thigh, and he rubbed his own chest, suddenly aware of the four long scars left by the Uruk Hai so long ago now...

Straining to recall what happened after they left the inn, Paldor had a vague image of himself riding out with Galcora and then a memory of torrential rain, the raging river, and his sister being swept away in the flood. Beyond that...nothing! He grunted in frustration.

"Perhaps," he began, uncertain what the others would think, "perhaps" we should begin where our memories end? Perhaps we should retrace our steps to the inn and see where it leads us? Maybe there is a clue to our past there, something that will jog our memories?"
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 08:46
Tirgoth nodded. It was a worthwhile suggestion.

"Yes, that's an excellent idea. We should be able to find the inn without too much trouble. It is the center of one of few towns in the Druadan. Getting to it might be more of a problem though. Caravans of traders seeking passage through the Druadan have been dissapearing all the time. It seems that the Woses, the Wild Men of Ghan-buri-Ghan have once again become hostile to us of the cities and farms. We will have to proceed as far as we can along the Stonewain valley before finding our way through the forest."

He looked around at the others; there seemed to be general consent. "Does anyone have anything else to say? When should we leave?"
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 01:39
"The day after next" Paldor spoke. "I need some time to get my affairs in order first with the tower guard. And we will all need to gather provisions for the journey. Why don't we all ride out separately so as not to arouse suspicion or start people asking questions to which we have no answers as of yet. We can meet the day after tomorrow at the large rock at the head of the Western path from the city and set out from there. It's an area few people venture, so we won't have to worry about running into anyone there. Are we agreed?" Paldor looked around at the others hoping that they would all join the quest. His eyes lingered a moment longer on Ilmare than on the others, hoping especially fervently that the beautiful woman would join them.

Then he turned to Galcora. "We have a problem," he told her, a worried frown clouding his face. "Father is still alive, and although he is now an old man whose memory betrays him, you can believe that he would never forget his own daughter. If I take you home with me tonight, he will never let you out of his sight again. You won't be able to join us on the quest. On the other hand, I can only imagine what it would mean to you to be reunited with father. The choice is yours, Galcora." He held her hand gently. "I will respect whatever decision you make."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 01:47
Ilmare rubbed her chin. Yes...yes, it was possible. This was a big enough city that she could lose herself for a few days if she needed to. The main problem she could see was that she didn't want to just abandon the rangers; her father would kill her for worrying him so badly.

Tapping her lip, her face brightened as she thought of something. "If I ride night and day," she said aloud, "I can reach my father's house by tomorrow evening and be back at the stone by the day after next." She looked at each of them. "You must understand," she said, her voice softer, "my father has lived with me for the last seven years in the hope that I would regain my voice and my memory. He deserves to know that his hope has been answered."

She paused for a moment, thinking. "Beyond that," she added, "he is my leader. I have to tell him when I can no longer be a part of an assignment." She sought out Paldor's golden eyes, hoping he'd understand. He was under the authority of his commanding officers, just as she was under the authority of her father.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 05:09
Zie listened quietly, her intense gaze on Paldor as he recounted to them the memories that they had regained this very evening. Some of the darkness and fog in her own mind began to lift. To her frowning irritation, to much of that dark fog remained for her liking, however. A slight smile curled her lips as Paldor turned again to address his sister, hoping for her recognition. The two of them were as strangers to one another, and no doubt as to why. Many strange things have passed, but the light on their faces was beginning to dawn.

Zie saw the many exchanged looks that passed amongst her newly refound friends and those memories of their connections did resurface. Allowing them to regain some of that closeness again, she did not take up a place at the table, standing instead against a side wall, hand resting absently on the hilt of the sword at her side. Paldor and Ilmare were warming back up to each other nicely, but having just met, Tirgoth and Galcora would need time yet. A nervous wariness still filled their eyes. So much was new, and so suddenly and each was showing the strain of trying to ingest it all so quickly. Galcora she watched closely as her memories seem to have been the worst of the lot of them and may be the slowest to return. Well, as slow as her own of course.

Zie watched as time and age seemed to slip from their faces as the weight of unanswered questions was lifted from them. This she especially noticed in Paldor, whose worn face grew young again as the guilt and mourning of his sisters death evaporated. She was more delighted that she showed to them, that so many of them had regained as much as they did. In time, as conversations drew on more would come, brains would be picked, reminiscing would help. But time for that was later.

When Tirgoth suddenly jumped onto the table Zie lowered into a crouch and her grip tightened on her sword hilt. At first she had thought that he had gone mad, that perhaps the weight of the passing years had pressed his mind to much. No other sounds within or outside indicated that there was approaching danger. As his sword returned to slide with a whisper back into his sheath, she straightened, but continued to watch him carefully. She shook her head slightly with a suppressed grin. ‘Same old brash, impetuous Tirgoth.’ She thought. Her grin widened slightly. It was good to remember.

"We have work to do. Are we ready?" Tirgoth asked the group. Work indeed.

After listening to Tirgoth tell of the downfall of the city, Zie nodded. What he spoke of merely confirmed what she had heard from the captain earlier in the evening beside the Kings tomb. But for now she was silent, not wanting to interrupt the flow of thoughts from the group, keeping her opinions and thoughts to herself for a time. Tirgoth spoke of the beginning when the King died, but she believed it went further back, before the darkness began in their minds.

The recounting of the time at the Inn made Zie’s hand slide to the old wound in her side, the scar that was mirrored on both front and back. She saw others remembering their own injuries as well. Her dreams had been filled with the days after, much of the time at the Inn she did not remember. Flitting memories of Galcora tending her, voices in the darkness calling her in a sweet elvish tongue. Ríon! He had been there! For a time as the others spoke, Zie was lost in her own memories of time spent speaking at length with Ríon and Jameth as she recovered enough to ride again.

Her mind returned to the here and now just in time to hear Paldor speak. "The day after next. I need some time to get my affairs in order first with the tower guard. And we will all need to gather provisions for the journey. Why don't we all ride out separately so as not to arouse suspicion or start people asking questions to which we have no answers as of yet. We can meet the day after tomorrow at the large rock at the head of the Western path from the city and set out from there. It's an area few people venture, so we won't have to worry about running into anyone there. Are we agreed?"

Zie nodded her ascent to the meeting time. Paldor and Galcora began to speak of their father that was living still, but her mind was moving already toward the things she would do. “Tell us where your father’s house is Ilmare.” Zie spoke softly. “When we meet at the stone that Paldor speaks of we can ride toward you and meet you part way so that you and your horse are not to exhausted for our journey by pressing yourself so far so quickly. Besides, you will want time to speak with your father, give him time to hear your voice again. What say the rest of you? This will give Ilmare at least a half day with her father, will it not? We can afford that much.”

When the others nodded their agreement Zie looked again to Paldor. He was eager to take his sister home, that she could see. “Paldor, before you drag your sister away to a reunion with your father, I must ask something. As a member of the guard, do you know a captain named Tobas? Is he a trustworthy man and do you know where he can be found when not on watch? I have much I would like to speak to him about before we leave the city.”

(ooc)
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2005 10:59
Ilmare bit her lip lightly. "I cannot tell you exactly where my father lives," she said after a moment. "You must understand," she said, seeing the startled looks on some faces. "Ada is the leader of the Ithilien rangers, and the steward hates rangers. Everyone who needs to know where he lives knows already. I trust all of you with my life, and with Ada's...but I have sworn to never reveal it."

She paused, studying her mental map. "But I can tell you," she said after a moment, "that if you ride south past the stone for three hours, I will be able to meet you there on the third day. That is the closest I can allow you to come." She rose. "We should waste no more time," she added. "Paldor, Galcora, I wish you both all the best with your father. Tirgoth," she smiled up at him, "good luck. Zie," but she couldn't think of anything to say to the older woman, so she just smiled at her.

She turned and walked out of the room, pulling her hood up to cover her brown hair. Part of her was listening, hoping to hear Paldor's step behind her.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 04:57
Paldor looked into his sister's eyes, seeing the indecision there. He knew that the choice she faced: Being reunited with her father after so many years but risking having to remain within the confines of the city, or postponing the reunion and accompanying the others on their quest, was a heavy burden. He wished he could help her choose the right path, but only Galcora could decide which road to take. Paldor stood up. He would give her some time to ponder her decision, he thought.

Turning his attention to Zie, he closed his eyes for a moment, thinking of the many captains who were responsible for the various parts of the city. Tobas... the name sounded familiar, but he couldn't be sure. "Is it possible he changed his name to Tobias," Paldor asked, frowning as he thought. "That is the only captain whose name resembles Tobas. He arrived some time ago, and joined the guard, ascending through the ranks at a remarkable speed. Non natives of the White City don't normally become leaders of the tower guard, you know!" Paldor paused, trying to recall what he could of the new captain. "His success has been attributed to his legendary swordmanship. If I recall correctly, he beat Denario, our best swordsmaster, on the very first day of training! He has also led several very successful campaigns against the bands of orcs who tried to attack the city early last year. If I remember correctly, Tobias is something of a recluse, keeping to himself, and no one knows exactly where he is from or what his history is. But despite, his mysterious past, he has proven himself to be one of our most valuable warriors. If you want to speak to him, you can easily find him atop the city walls tonight. He prefers to patrol during the hours of darkness."

He turned his attention to the beautiful Ilmare. She bit her lip lightly as she pondered her own path, and Paldor longed to kiss her. When she turned from the room, he caught Tirgoth's eye, knowing his old friend would understand, and followed quietly after her. He let her walk through the hall and down the narrow stairway leading to the outside before he caught up with her, quickening his steps to match her own.

"Ilmare," he began, unsure of what to say. "Oh Ilmare..." he broke off, unable to find the words to express his turbulent emotions, so he simply reached out and took her in his arms, cradling her gently as though she were made of a precious material that might break at the slightest movement.

[Edited on 23/1/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 07:50
Ilmare heard swift footsteps behind her and smiled in the shadow of her hood. She was able to reach the bottom of the stairs before she felt a hand on her shoulder, stopping her. She turned and looked up at him, letting her hood slip off.

"Ilmare," he began, unsure of what to say. "Oh Ilmare..." He stopped, then reached out and took her into his arms. She went willingly, resting her head against his chest. She closed her eyes and listened to his heartbeat. It sped up a bit as he tucked her head under his chin and just held her.

"I know," she said quietly, staying in his arms. "I know, Paldor." She looked up at him, her green eyes shimmering in the sparce light from the inn. She didn't want to leave, even to see her father. She wanted to stay here in Paldor's hug forever. But she couldn't, and they both knew that.

His golden eyes captivated her anew, as they did every time she looked into them. She had never seen golden eyes before meeting Galcora and Paldor--and she could remember it now, which was an improvement on her dreams--and they mesmorized her. On impulse, she stood on tiptoes and kissed his cheek.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2005 08:23
(ooc: Elrin anyone? It's been almost a month...so I think I'm just going to make excuses not to directly talk to her for now. Oh, and Gwenneth...I think Paldor missed a question from Zie..maybe quick edit?)

Tirgoth desperately wanted some time with Galcora, but he could see that she and Paldor were bound by painful decisions of family. Family sometimes needed to come first, and though he could barely tear himself away to leave, he knew that Galcora was overwhelmed just then, and furthermore, he didn't even know if she would remember him... So as the others made plans and started to leave, he nodded a good-bye to Zie, and left. He had no real plans to make, no one was connected to him. He would just bolt the door, put up a sign that said "Gone Indefinitely" and let them wonder.

As he walked home, and a drizzle began, the idea of leaving on another adventure started to excite him. Although they had all aged he could still feel the youthful spirit inside him, It seemed to be drawn through his pores by the soft drops of rain. He took off his cloak, and walked the rest of the way slowly Dressed in just his tunic and trousers, he loved the feel of the rain on his skin, awakening his every nerve.

When he arrived in his home, he could look up at the ceiling, and trace the lines in the woodwork with no fear, no envy, and no anger. He spent a long time just sitting, letting his memories pour over him; laughing at his foolish moments, and admiring all of their bravery in their quest. He thought of Galcora as rarely as he could.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2005 11:37
Galcora sat silently, listening with only half an ear to the plans that were being made. Paldor would probably be right. If she was to go and see her father, who knows what the old man would say. If he wanted her to stay, would she risk breaking his frail heart to satisfy the burning desire within her own breast to go on this adventure? Would she want to leave her father, now that he was old? After so many years of not seeing him, would he still be alive when she returned? Her heart tugged painfully at the thought. Galcora looked up to find that the others had gone, leaving her and Zie alone in the room. Suddenly everything seemed so unreal, just another dream. Ilmare, Tirgoth and Paldor. Had they really been here?
Galcora stood and turned to Zie. After a minute of trying to form words, she shook her head and walked to the door.

"I'll be back in a while." she whispered and stepped out, knowing that Zie had heard. She walked down the stairs to find Ilmare in the arms of Paldor. A sad smile spread over her features and she quickly and deftly stepped passed them as not to disturb. She quickly stepped out into the cool drizzle that had begun to fall outside. Wrapping her cloak lightly over her shoulders she walked down the street. Now that the giddiness of her new found memories began to fade, shock was starting to overcome her. So much was happening so fast, yet was this not what she had dreamed of these last few years. Her footsteps echoed hollowly around her, carried by the rhythm of the rain. She didn't know where she was, so she let her feet carry her away.

Absorbed in her thoughts, she did not immediatly realize that she had stopped in front of a welcoming door. Light was dancing from the window beside the door. Galcora looked around unsure. Perhaps she should not have left without Paldor, but she had not the heart to break up their reunion. Galcora stood in the street, suddenly feeling very alone. She whirled around at the soft voice that spoke behind her.

"Are you alright m'dear?" A middle-age woman looked at her curiously from beneath a cloak. She was holding a lantern, shielding it from the rain, the golden glow of the little flame lighting up the kindly features of the older woman.
"Oh, I think I'm lost" Galcora replied softly, allowing a small amount of amusement to enter her voice.
The woman stared at her with narrowed eyes, brows knitted into a frown. Carefully the woman brought the lamp up and gasped softly at whatever she saw in Galcoras face.
"Golden eyes..." the woman whispered, then, taking a firm hold on Galcora's arm led her down the street.

The woman bade her enter her little home, and offered Galcora some tea. Galcora sat gratefully and sipped at the hot liquid, warming her cold hands. "Now what is your name lass?" the woman asked. Galcora quickly set the cup down as she the hot loquid scalded her tongue.
"My names Galcora.." she answered and soon found herself staring once more into the brown eyes of the woman. The woman hmpfed and turned to cleaing the samll kitchen. "You better finish up there then lass. I believe theres an old man waiting to see someone who has long been dead to him." With that said the woman briefly dissapeared into a little room.

Galcora drank as quickly as she could witout burning her tongue further. She had finished by the time the woman appeared again. With a firm nod the woman led Galcora back out again and down a couple of streets. They stopped outside a lonesome little house and knocked. The door was answered by an old man, and Galcora found herself alone, the woman already half way down the street. Turning back to the man she saw open astonishment on his features. Silently he stepped back and allowed her to step through. A small fire crackled in the fireplace, the only sound. Galcora turned to look at her father in the light. He looked so old and worn, those golden once so bright, now dulled with sorrow. He looked at her as if he was seeing a ghost and Galcora quickly helped him to a seat. Kneeling beside him, Galcor gently put head on his knees. She closed her eyes as she felt his hands gently running through her hair. She felt something cool fall on her cheeks and opened her eyes to find tears running down her fathers cheeks. His fingers brushed her cheeks and Galcora realized that she herself had begun to cry. Suddenly she was flooded with surpressed emotion and she begun to sob, her fathers arms holding her tightly as if afraid to let go. They stayed like this for some time, each grieving the lost time.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2005 07:13
(OOC: Edit completed Caegaraneva. Leighlia, see above for Paldor's answer to Zie's question. Sorry I missed it somehow!)

For a moment, holding Ilmare close, Paldor felt time stand still. She fit so perfectly tucked in his arms, against his chest, Paldor couldn't imagine ever letting go. But Ilmare eventually broke the spell, stepping back to gaze into his eyes. He saw love and a great desire to remain with him as her irises reflected the flickering lamplight. But he also saw loyalty and determination there, and knew that she must fulfill her promise to return to her father. Reluctantly, Paldor let go of Ilmare, praying inwardly that he was not going to lose her again. Now that his memories had been reawakened, he did not think he would be able to survive without this woman, the only woman he had ever loved. As if sensing his thoughts, Ilmare hesitated for a second, and then stepped closer for just an instant, as her lips lightly brushed his cheek in a kiss that set his entire body on fire. Paldor clasped her once more close to himself, trying to fill his entire soul with the sight, sound and even the delicate scent of Ilmare before he let her go. "May your journey be swift," he whispered, "Until we meet again..."

Overcome by emotion, Paldor turned and walked down the nearest darkened street, afraid that Ilmare's sharp eyes might spot the tears that were brimming in his eyes. He took a few deep breaths, and steadied himself as he climbed the steps leading toward the higher levels, hardly noticing where he was going, as he made his way slowly home.

When he finally arrived at the small room he lived on the top floor of a building on one of the higher levels of the city, he was suprised to realize his cloak was soaking wet. It must have been raining outside, and yet Paldor hadn't felt a thing. He had been so completely absorbed by thoughts of Ilmare, he couldn't recall a single step of his path home. Despite the steady drizzle, Paldor stepped outside, onto the balcony that afforded him a spectacular view over the city and the plains beyond. It was because of this view that he had chosen the humble room as his home. Sighing, he stood, gazing out at the night beyond, his thoughts full of Tirgoth, Zie, Galcora, and especially Ilmare.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2005 12:21
(Another long post, I appologise.)

It was not long before the first rays of a pale dawn lit the sky. The fire had burned down to glowing embers powdered by the soft grey ashes. Galcora opened tired eyes and sat up. Her knees were sore and her back felt terribly cramped from sleeping in a knelt position. She looked at her father and found him still asleep. The lines of his face had softened as the burden of grief had been lifted somewhat. He looked a good bit younger and his face held so much peace as he slept. A painful tug from her heart had Galcora wince slightly. Would she now this very day take that peace away from him once more? Had she the heart to leave him now?

Galcora stood and looked through the cupboards. She found a bag and opened and found it to contain tea leaves. Gently relighting the fire and feeding it, she placed a pot of water to be boiled. As she waited fro the water to boil, she thought on the other missing member of her family. She would never be able to see her mother again, a woman whose face she could not remember. Her mothers voice she could remember and her soft and gentle hands. Her mother had always been perfumed with a soft spicy scent, affirming her status as a healer. That scent hung about this little home as if to assure them that she was still watching over her household.

Galcora let some of the tea leaves soak in the boiling water. Pouring the brown liquid into two cups she lightly spiced it and made to wake her father. He accepted the cup from her gratefully, his eyes studying her face intently. His face darkened slightly and he placed the cup on the table. "You are leaving again." he stated dully, the shadow in his eyes returning once more.
Galcora winced and stared into her own steaming cup, he was never one to beat around the bush.
"Just when you are returned to me the wind comes and sweeps you away again, leaving me with nothing but a memory of you."

"Papa, over these last few years I have yearned so much to see you and mother. Yet, so have I yearned to go on an adventure. For seven years have I hidden away as a village healer, and though I was treated well and was provided for I could not help but be unhappy." Galcora looked to her father with pain shining in her eyes. "I am torn between two desires. I do not wish to leave you, yet I can not bear to stay confined to a simple life any longer."

Galas sighed heavily as he watched his daughter. "You were always a free spirit Galcora. Always did the tides of the wind carry you off on some adventure. Like a flower deprived of the sun you wilted at home.
How often we worried for you, wondering whether you would ever return to us. The day when Paldor stumbled home and told us that you had drowned....how terrible was our grief. Your mother died with a broken heart, crying for her daughter lost within a watery grave."

An uneasy silence fell over them. Galcora sipped at the cold tea, trying to ease to knot of emotion that swelled in her throat, promising an onslaught of tears. The sun had finally shown his face and was steadily climbing across the sky. Galcora stood from the table and went in search of something to eat. She struggled to contain her wild and conflicting emotions. Finding a loaf of old bread she went in search for more herbs and spices. With the coin she had she excused herself and quickly walked to the market. It was easy enough to find and Galcora quickly bought what she needed. She returned to the little house and found her father still sitting at the table, his head in his hands. Silently she filled the pot with the goat milk she had bought and placed it over the fire. She added various spices and a lovely aroma soon filled the room. She removed the pot from the fire and put a few slices of bread in two separate bowls. She poured the spiced milk over the bread, soaking it. She lightly poured a small amount of honey over the soaked bread along with more spice and placed a bowl next to her father. Smelling the delicious breakfast Galas looked up and slowly began to eat. He ate hungrily, clearly he had not had a good meal for some time. Without mother to cook for him he probably satisfied himself with a slice of bread and cheese.

When they had finished Galcora began to clean up. Galas watched his daughter sadly, noting the tension in her shoulders that betrayed her emotions. "Aye, Galcora my lass. You have been dead to me so long and I have yearned to have you back. If you stayed here with me then surely your spirit would fade and die, and you would be dead to me once more. It is hard for me to let go of you again, daughter. But if I do not then you will wilt and fade away as your mother did. It grieves my heart to see you go Galcora, but it is best for you."

Galcora walked to her father and hugged him fiercely. "I promise you Papa, I will come home." she whispered to him smiling through her tears. Straightening she wiped her face, determined to take hold of her emotions one more. If she was to go on this journey she could not have her emotions lash out uncontrolled. The two talked for a while more before Galcora finally admitted to having to go and prepare. Leaving her father with a tearful good bye she wandered around the streets, buying supplies that she might need. She found the woman that had led her to her father and begged her to take care of him. The woman agreed and kissed her hands softly, clasping them between her own. "Be careful Galcora. I will take care of your father and we shall pray for your safe return." Galcora smiled and turned to leave but paused at the last whispered words of the woman. "Your mother would have been very proud of you." Galcora turned back to the woman to find that she had disappeared. Frowning slightly Galcora continued her business.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2005 08:37
((This got really, really long...my apologies, but I hope you enjoy it))

Ilmare watched Paldor walk away, her eyes filling with tears to match the ones she had seen in his golden eyes just before he turned away. "Keep well, melethron," she whispered. "May the Valar protect you until we meet again."

That said, she turned and walked down the streets until she reached the inn where she and her fellow rangers were staying. They were all awake and demanding to know where she had been, but she continued the charade that she was mute, and they left her alone eventually. Breathing a sigh of relief, the ranger woman swiftly packed her few belongings, wrote a quick note to the leader of the expedition, and went to the stables on the first level where Echui was stabled.

Her stallion had missed her, so he was a bit restless. He settled down, though, when she spoke to him in gentle Elvish. After a moment of visiting, she saddled him up and mounted swiftly. As she exited the stables, she pulled her hood up to both protect her head from the rain and, instinctively, protect her face from the gate guards.

One nice thing about being a hooded woman in a group of known men, she reflected as she rode through the gates with only a cursory questioning, was that everyone assumed that she too was male and didn't ask difficult questions. Once she was out of sight of the gates, she threw back her hood, leaned over Echui's neck and told him to teach her the meaning of speed.

The next day or so was a bit of a blur to her. She rode as swiftly as she could handle for as long as her horse could maintain the speed, then slowed to a walk. She stopped for a few hours so she and her horse could get some sleep, then continued on as hard as before.

At that pace, she reached her father's home before midmorning of the second day. She dismounted and cared for Echui before entering the small house silently, shedding her damp cloak on the way.

She had been born and raised in this house. It was here that she had heard her mother die, and here where she learned everything her father and many other rangers knew of weapons. She remembered waking up, seven years ago, in the entryway of this house, but with no memory of how she got there or what had happened before. She blinked tears away and went looking for her father.

He wasn't in the small kitchen, or his bedroom. She made a quick stop by her room to drop her things off before going outside.

He was in the small training area behind the house. Ilmare smiled and leaned against the doorframe as she watched him work with his sword. Admiration filled her as she watched. He had been the first to teach her how to protect herself with a blade, and he had never lost his honed edge. A mischievous smile exposed a few teeth, and she slipped forward, unsheathing her wrist daggers as she walked.

Her father, following a practice pattern, was turning just as she brought her daggers up in a crossed position, catching the down-sweeping blade against her own blades. Her father's eyes, hazel green, widened in surprise as she smiled wider and said, "Hello, Ada."

They stayed like that for a few long moments, staring into each other's eyes. Then her father freed his sword from her blades, sheathed it, and grabbed her in a hug. "Your voice has come back," he murmured wetly against her neck. "Oh, Ilmare..."

Ilmare snuggled against him and smiled contentedly. She knew it had hurt him to live with her day in and day out and never hear her voice, and she was glad that she had decided to come back and reassure him. With the gladness, though, came a razor-sharp pain. She was leaving again in less than a day. What would it do to him to see her leave again, especially after getting her back whole again?

She put aside her fears for now as he released her and led the way into the house. "Let me prepare you something to eat, iell," he said, walking into the kitchen, "while you tell me about Minas Tirith."

Ilmare perched on the edge of the rough table where she and her father had broken many fasts together and talked about the great city of Minas Tirith as her father puttered around the kitchen. This was a familiar scene as well; he was the one who enjoyed cooking, which was good because Ilmare didn't like doing any cooking besides that which needed to be done on the trail.

She first gave the official report, telling how the city was falling to pieces after the death of King Elessar and Queen Arwen, may they rest in peace, and how the crime rate had climbed rapidly. Then she hesitated, not sure how much of the more personal events she should relate. He solved that dilemma for her by asking, "How did your voice return, and why did you return before the others? I am glad to see you, of course," and he dropped a kiss on her cheek in passing to prove it, "but it is odd for you to leave before a mission is done."

Ilmare took a deep breath and shared everything that had happened from the first time she saw Paldor sitting by himself in the courtyard to when she decided to come back to report. As she talked, he set food on the table and motioned her to a proper seat, which she took.

When she finished, he steepled his long, calloused fingers and looked at her thoughtfully. "So you wish to leave me again?" he asked softly, his voice full of heartbreaking pain. "After I have just received you back?"

"Ada, I need to go," Ilmare replied, reaching across the table to grip his fingers tightly in her own. "I need to find out why I lost my voice and my memory. I still cannot recall what happened before I woke up here, and I want to know. Plus..." and a faint blush tinted her cheeks here.

"Plus, you want to reestablish what you had with this Paldor fellow." Her father finished for her, taking her hands in his. He sighed and smiled slightly. "You have inherited too much of me, I think," he said, squeezing her hands in his. "I had to wander before I settled, and I still desire to see lands I have never seen before. How can I deny you what I passed to you? You may go, of course, and with my blessings. You meet them at the ranger campsite tomorrow?"

Ilmare nodded, blinking back tears. The place where she had directed her friends was well known to the rangers of Ithilien; they often camped there after meeting at the large rock where Ilmare's friends would meet before coming to find her.

"Then I will see to it that you will go forward well provisioned and ready for whatever the trail throws your way," he said before motioning to the food. "And you will start by eating what I have cooked for you!"

She laughed with him before digging into the delicious-smelling food.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 06:10
Zie gave her thanks for the information that Paldor gave her with a smile and a nod. She did not want to burden him with more questions as she could see his eagerness to be off after Ilmare. Looking between the remaining couple, she saw Tirgoths lingering gaze on Galcora and the longing in his look, but Galcora seemed to be oblivious at this time. Of course her mind was full of all that she had learned in a short time. Remaining quietly where she stood against the wall she returned the tall blacksmiths departing nod and watched his departure.

For Tirgoth she felt sorriest. Ilmare and Paldor remembered their past attraction immediately, but Galcora still struggled with her lack of memory. It would possibly take these two longer to remember their attraction and see if anything remained there between them. Resisting the urge to shake her head, she dismissed these thoughts. They were not her business. If they would rediscover each other, then they would given time.

Galcora sat silently and had hardly moved from her spot as plans were discussed and the party dispersed. She seemed deep in thought and Zie watched her closely. When Galcora stood and gathered her cloak announcing that she would be back, Zie did not move, watching her leave. The room was silent after all of their passing, but half remembered memories still danced in the shadows of the candles and small hearth. Taking up her own cloak she followed Galcora silently down the stairs, intent on following and keeping an eye on her. Dawn had not approached quite yet and there were still many shadows in the streets of the white city. After what she had heard from so many different sources of the fall of the city, leaving Galcora to wander off alone did not appeal to her. Still, Zie did not want to be accused of hovering or baby-sitting, so she would keep to the shadows herself and watch carefully.

From the shadows Zie watched as Galcora met a woman and followed when the woman led her away. For some time Zie sat, wedged in a corner under an eave, water dripping from her hood from the steady drizzle, after Galcora had entered her fathers house. Eyes careful on her surroundings, Zie could not help smiling, glad that Galcora had decided to visit her father after all. As the sky lightened from a deep black to the steel grey of a cloudy dawn, it was apparent that Galcora would be with her father for some time. As the light of the sun pushed its way weakly through the thick cloud cover, Zie’s shadowy hiding place became mute.

Shaking the water from her cloak she stepped out into the street, startling a cry from a short old man that had been walking past that had not seen her. She moved toward the walls, eyes on the guards there as the change of shifts began. When she spotted the one she looked for, one level up, she followed him. The street he walked down was cramped and dark, but he walked with purpose toward a small, closely shuttered Inn.

Zie waited a moment before following him in. Keeping her cloak up to cover her face, she pushed the door open and made to step inside. As her foot cleared the threshold a strong hand shot out from the side and grabbed a fistful of her cloak and a heavy foot kicked her leading foot out from under her. Cursing loudly, she found herself on her back just inside of the door of the dimly lit common room, a heavy form sitting on her chest and a thick blade at her throat. The feel of the blade made her freeze, but the hood of her cloak had fallen forward to cover her face completely in the fall and she could not see who it was that had attacked her.

“It is a brave soul that would dare risk targeting a Captain of the City Guard.” A hard voice said over her as a knee dug hard into her ribs.

She choked and cursed herself again. Twice in one night she had been surprised. How could she fall into such disgrace?? Muttering a curse in her native tongue with what little breath she could draw she shook her head trying to free it of the cloak hood. “Get off you great lout.” She wheezed.

A hand pushed the cloak away and freed her vision, but the blade remained at her throat. Captain Tobas looked down at her in surprise. Again she wheezed at him, “Well, finish it if that is what you intend, but at least get your knee out of my breasts so I can breath!” Finally the captain let out a hearty laugh and stood, sliding his sword home and holding out a hand to help her from the floor. Zie slapped his hand away and stood on her own, untangling her cloak from her arms and neck. She was furious, but only at herself. If the elders of the deserts at home had seen this night, she would be stripped of her position.

“How did you know I was following you?” she asked him.

“It wasn’t hard.” He laughed at her again. “You’re a sight taller than many of the folks on the streets at this hour of the morning, wrapped in a cloak that has seen some hours of the nights rain.” He gestured to a table nearby in a gentlemanly manner and she frowned harder. “Come and break your fast with me, and tell me of your thoughts on our city.”

When Zie did not move he chuckled again and went to sit. Following him, she sat next to him instead of opposite, her back to the wall so that she could see the rest of the room. After the serving girl had set fresh bread and cold meat and cheese before them did she speak and ask him the things she wanted to know.

It was nearly three hours later when she left the small Inn. The sky overhead was still heavy with thick clouds. In this city she could not help but cast a glance towards the mountains in the distance. No orange light of the volcano lightened that quarter of the sky any more and the mountains seemed still and quiet. But she had her doubts. Her mind was full of the things the captain had told her in a quiet tone over their meal. He had obviously been tired, but she would not let him go to his rest until she was satisfied. Her own fatigue was beginning to pull at her mind. It had been near to 3 days since she had had a good sleep and she looked forward to her own bed.

When she reached her room at her own Inn, she noticed that Galcora had not returned as of yet and no one else seemed to have been in the room since their leaving. Washing and preparing herself for sleep was a cursory chore and after latching the door, Zie fell into her bed and slept deeply for several hours, plans to leave the city by the next night fall on her mind. If she did not see Galcora again before she left….but she fell asleep on the thought, hoping that this night would be dream free.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2005 09:17
Galcora found herself weighed down slightly by her purchases. She had bought herself some new gear as well as herbs and other necessities. She wandered around for a while having lost her way a few times. The marketplace was a busy but solemn place this morning, gaunt and nervous faces passing her at every turn. It was clear that much was amiss in the city.

Galcora gradually made her way through the streets, keeping an eye out for the inn where she, along with Zie had settled to stay for a while. She had already passed a few, yet none the one she was looking for. She had an idea of the general direction of the inn and so she kept walking. She did pause a few times to ask for directions, and she did eventually find one who knew of it.

Galcora felt slightly vulnerable as she entered darker streets. She was not unaware of the shadows that flitted between the buildings, watching unsuspecting prey. From what she heard the crime rate was indeed rampant in the city. She would have to be on her guard. A soft scraping sound behind her had her whirling around. An empty street met her eyes and suspicion immediately flared through her. She turned back and began walking once more, slightly faster this time. Sure enough her ears picked up the softest tell-tale padding of booted feet. She paused and heard the footsteps do the same. Now she had no doubt that she was being followed. If the sneaking thief thought that she would be an easy picking, he would soon find that he had misjudged her badly. She might be a bit rusty with old fighting skills from her previous travels, but that would not matter too much, or so she hoped.
Feeling more than slightly harassed, she slowly moved her hand to the belt at her hips. She grasped the hilt of one of her daggers, ready to draw at a moments notice. She continued on, hoping that the stalking figure would leave.

A hand reached out and grabbed her by the arm. With a quick twist, Galcora dropped her bags and brought her elbow up, connecting it to the nose of a grimy wretch. Kicking his legs from beneath him she grabbed her bags and ran. It was not long before she heard pursuing footsteps. Her bags were a slight burden, but she was not about to lose it. She had drawn her dagger and balanced it comfortably in her hand, careful as not to drop it. Heavy breathing wheezed behind her and she found that it was steadily getting closer. She would not be able to outrun her pursuer then.
She ran around a corner and fell into a forward roll, landing on her haunches she swung her blade in a low arc, slashing through the soft flesh of her pursuers legs and drawing blood. The man stumbled back with a surprised cry but recovered quickly, his own blade brandished in his hand. Hardened from living in the streets, it would take more than one cut to deter him. Galcora had quickly jumped forward when he had stepped back and made short jabbing motions. He caught her lightly in the shoulder, sending pain trickling through her. She brought the hilt of her dagger down quickly on the mans temple and was relieved to see him crumple unconsciously to the floor.

Tired by the short fight, Galcora quickly walked from the body. She did not pause once or look back until she found her destination raising up before her. She quickly entered the inn and walked to the room she was sharing with Zie. She looked in and found Zie still sleeping lightly. She must have had a late night. Galcora quickly moved to her traveliing bags and layed her new gear on the bed. She took out her old wooden bowl and went to find some water. She returned and went to work on the wound on her arm. She pulled back the shoulder of her woolen shift and began cleaning the blood from the cut that marred her shoulder. It would leave a slight scar, but that did not worry her. She only hoped that it would not cause her trouble on the upcoming journey.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 07:47
Paldor slept only fitfully, his dreams full of Ilmare and his newly remembered past. He awoke over and over again with the strange images from the witch's hovel burning in his mind. Finally, as dawn approached, he gave up on trying to get any more rest, abandoning his tousled bed, and heading for the common wash room which the residents of the building shared. Cold water, pouring from the bucket he held high above his head, soon had him wide awake, and he shivered briefly, as he took the time to wash his shoulder length hair in the dim light of the washroom. The nights were still cool, and the temperature was low enough to send gooseflesh up his arms as he hurried through the rest of his toilette.

Paldor could have used the cauldrons and ready laid kindling to start a fire and heat the water before washing, but he had spent too many years bathing in frigid rivers and lakes on the road, to waste any time on such frivolous amenities. Besides, he thought, the cold water had cleared his head, and he felt refreshed despite the small amount of sleep the night had provided. Shaking the excess water from his hair, he wrapped a cloth around his waist and quickly returned to his room to dress. He chose black riding pants and a white shirt which fell open at the neck, revealing the muscles of his powerful chest. Using the cloth to towel his hair dry, he secured it at the back of his neck with a leather tie. Paldor completed the outfit with a leather vest and the belt he never left his home without. The weight of his sword was comfortably familiar as he buckled the leather low to his hips.

A final glance around the room assured Paldor that he was ready to set out for the day. He had already packed the saddlebags the night before, and they lay ready for his steed, Alanor, whom he would fetch later today. He planned to finish his business before the day was over and ride to the meeting place tonight. He would sleep there, and meet the others in the morn. He had much to do today and first on his agenda was to go see Altair, the head of the guard, to request an indefinite amount of time off. Normally, guards were only allowed a few weeks off a year, but Paldor had been Captain for long enough and proven his worth to Gondor in so many ways, he knew the Chief would not deny his request.

Shutting the door to his room and locking it securely behind him, Paldor set off through the streets. Despite the early hour, merchants were already beginning to set up their stalls in the marketplace areas, taking advantage of the light of the first rays of the sun to exhibit their wares to their best advantage. As he strode through the marketplace, Paldor was reminded of the exuberant and golden atmosphrere which had pervaded the city in his youth. The pale faces and suspicious gazes of the merchants as he walked by their stalls now were a testament to how much the city had changed since then. One of the merchants even reached warily for a blade as the tall man passed his array of goods. Paldor sighed: There was something rotten that festered deep within the city, and he intended to find out what it was. For the past seven years, he had attempted to root out the source of the decay in his capacity as Captain of the Guard, but to no avail. Perhaps now, he and his companions would find the source actually extended from beyond the great White City. Paldor's instinct told him there was a connection between the remaining mystery which shrouded the past of the five companions and the insidious decline of his beloved city.

Shrugging his turbulent thoughts away for the moment, Paldor climbed the steps of the tower which led to the Chief's War Room. Altair was known throughout Middle Earth as a formidable leader, and despite the early hour, Paldor knew he would find the Chief there. It was rumored that Altair never slept, and Paldor knew from experience in battle that the man was capable of going for days on end without rest. Some even whispered that he carried the blood of the elves in his ancestry and that was what allowed him such prodigious feats of strength and endurance. Whether that was true, Paldor did not know, but he held enormous respect and loyalty for the older man who had trained him and been his leader for decades now.

The two guards who barred the way into the war room saluted and moved quickly aside to permit Paldor passage, recognizing the Captain on sight. He noted their curious looks, though, and realized that they were probably wondering why he was out of uniform. But they were just guards, and Captain Paldor owed them no explanations. Passing through the doorway, Paldor entered the large tower room with windows on all sides which allowed the occupants an unfettered view over all sides of the great White City. He found Altair poring over a map of the Misty Mountains, muttering to himself as he traced a path through the peaks.

Paldor took a breath, ready to announce his presence to the Chief, but before he could say a word, Altair beckoned him over, not taking his eyes from the map. "Come over here, Paldor old friend," he said. "Tell me whether you think the southern passage way is safest at this time of year, or if we should reconsider our position?" Paldor smiled inwardly. As far as he knew no one had ever been able to surprise the Chief: He always seemed to know who was approaching, long before they ever came near. Rounding the table, Paldor considered the map, and pointed to an alternate passageway through the mountains. "Our men might have better luck through this route," he said. "It is passable as long as the Spring rains have not started." Nodding, Altair looked up for the first time. "Wise as always, my friend," he said, and looked at Paldor, taking in his outfit at a glance. "How long are you leaving for he asked," with a glint of amusement in his eyes. Paldor smiled: "I don't know yet," he responded honestly. Nothing got past Altair. The Chief cocked his head to one side, considering. "I wish I could forbid you to go," he told Paldor. "The White City needs leaders like you more than ever right now. But I have the feeling that you would not leave us if something much more urgent did not call you." Paldor nodded, confirming the older man's thoughts. "I wish you well, my friend," the Chief said, and moved forward, holding Paldor's forearms briefly in a soldier's parting embrace. "Travel well, and come back to us soon." Paldor returned the embrace, and thanked the Chief for his understanding, turning to leave the War Room.

Paldor was just about to step outside, when the Chief's voice halted him on the threshold: "Would you like to take Jade?" Paldor turned and stared in astonishement. Jade was one of the enormous wolves that the tower guard had begun training from puppies to assist them in protecting the city these past few years. She was a lovely female with startling green eyes which had given her her name. Jade had been assigned to Paldor as a puppy and he had raised and trained her as they worked together to patrol the dangerous lower streets. Her sharp ears and eyes had often warned him of danger long before his own senses could detect anything and her sharp fangs had often brought many a criminal down before he could even draw his sword. She was one of the best trained canines the city Guard posessed, and he couldn't believe Altair would offer to release her from the city to accompany him. Paldor thought quickly: He would dearly love to have Jade accompany him and the others on their journey, but how could he deprive Gondor of two of their best warriors simultaneously?

Altair seemed to understand Paldor's indecision. Reaching for a piece of parchment, he scrawled a quick note on it, using a nearby candle to seal it with red wax that he rapidly imprinted with his signet ring before it cooled. "Take this to the kennels, old friend," the Chief said, handing Paldor the folded parchement. "And may you both return to us safely when you have accomplished your mission." Paldor took the parchment, at a loss for words. His wide golden eyes conveyed his thanks and he saluted the Chief before exiting the War Room and hurrying down the stairs to the courtyard below which housed the kennels. As he approached, a barking sounded through the courtyard as the excited canines within recognized his footsteps. Paldor could pick out Jade's welcoming bark from the rest and he quickened his pace, still unable to believe that the Chief would grant him permission to take her with him on a potentially dangerous journey. The wolf training program had come to life almost accidentally when one of the younger guards had found a wolf pup who had been severely wounded and left by his mother to die. The guard had rescued the tiny animal and brought it home to the White City where a healer in his family had returned it to health. Normally, dangerous creatures were absolutely forbidden within the confines of the White City, but no one saw the tiny injured pup as a threat, and by the time the animal had matured into a full grown wolf, it was so tame, that half the city fed him tidbits as he walked through the city at his owner's heels. It wasn't until the wolf named Jasper had felled a criminal who took his master by surprise, that the Guard first realized the benefits of taming and training canines to assist them in their duties. From Jasper, the canine program was born, and the guards scoured the countryside, rescuing wolf pups who had been trodden on by horses, fallen into ravines, or whose mothers had been killed and were doomed to starve to death alone in their dens. Within less than a decade, the Tower Guard had raised and trained no less than two dozen of the large predators and the breeding program now in place assured a ready supply of the canine warriors.

Paldor nodded to the guards who saluted the Captain from their posts at the entrance to the kennels. They would not question him removing Jade from her bedding area, he knew. Captain Paldor had come to retrieve the wolf from the kennels every day for the past seven years. The parchement would be needed only when he attempted to leave the city with his canine companion. Opening the metal gate, Paldor released the delighted Jade from the area she shared with several of the other females at night. They were all exceptionally well trained and only Jade exited the gate on his command, trotting happily at his heels as he reclosed the door and exited the kennels.

Together, they moved through the streets confidently. With his blade on the left, and Jade on his right, Paldor knew no man or woman would dare cross him within the confines of the white city. The wolves were now legendary and although they were exceptionally friendly to those Paldor indicated as friends, and gentle with children, they were natural born predators and no one with dark deeds on their mind cared to cross the four legged warriors. Together they went to the stables where Alanor, his stallion, awaited. None of the horses in the guards' stables were alarmed by the presence of the large wolf: A large portion of the training program involved teaching both animals to work together in battle, and Alanor appeared to think of Jade as a strange smaller horse. He would often keep the wolf in line with a "hrrrumpf" or even a gentle nip when needed, and in turn, Jade could often be found resting in the shaded area beneath the stallion as he grazed. Paldor quickly saddled and bridled Alanor, only pausing briefly to watch an impromptu game between Jade and the small son of the stable manager. The little boy giggled in delight as Jade pretended to pounce on him and then licked him lavishly instead. They fell into the hay together in a delightful pretend scuffle, as Alanor looked on serenely.

Soon Alanor was ready, and Paldor whistled to Jade who reluctantly left her game to trot peacefully at his side as they made their way back to his rooms. A short trip later, he had retrieved the saddle bags, is cloak, his bow and arrows, his bedroll, a large tarp that could function as a tent if neded, and some other items and provisions for the journey. He secured them all to the straps built into Alanor's travelling saddle. He was ready at last! Although the preparations had not taken much time, Paldor felt impatient to be out of the city and on the road. The sooner the left, the sooner he would see Ilmare again, he thought. He hoped she and the others would welcome the presence of Jade on their journey. Most people instinctively feared the four legged carnivores, and he was nervous about their reaction. Only Tirgoth was familiar with the city's canine program and would not be surprised by Paldor's companion. He hoped that Ilmare, especially would welcome the presence of the large wolf.

Kicking Alanor to a trot, Paldor rode steadily downward until he reached the gates of the great White City. The guards there, stopped him immediately, barring his way with crossed spears. Although they recognized the Captain, he was out of uniform, and no one was allowed to remove the wolves from the city when they were not on Guard business without express permission from the Chief. Handing the guards the parchment Altair had given him earlier, Paldor watched as their eyes widened in surprise. This was unheard of! And yet, there was no mistaking the unique mark left by Altair's signet ring in the wax. Still looking astonished, the guards moved aside, uncrossing their spears and permitted Paldor to ride out of the city, accompanied by Jade. Once free of the gates, he urged Alanor to a gallop and Jade loped easily along beside him, her long tongue hanging out as she followed her master over the plains. Paldor allowed himself to laugh as the wind tousled his hair and sent his cloak billowing behind him. He was on his way to the meeting point, accompanied by the two animals he loved best in the world, and soon he would see Ilmare again! Full of anticipation, the threesome travelled on toward the first stop on their long journey.

[Edited on 31/1/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 05:02
((Took me a while to get this right...I've been working on it for the last couple days. Enjoy!))

The day flew by as Ilmare and her father worked together on her kit. Occasionally, Ilmare would catch her father just staring at her, happy to see his daughter vibrantly alive again and talking. They talked together about everything and absolutely nothing. She told him about Paldor and everything she had remembered, he teased her about her first kiss, and she swatted him.

The relationship between Ilmare and her father had been like this for years. They were father and daughter, yes; commander and subordinate, definitely, but they were also friends and confidents. Ilmare knew she could trust her father with everything on her mind, and her father told her things that not even the most superior rangers were supposed to know.

As the sun set, Ilmare set her loaded saddlebag and pack by the door and braced her hands on her hips with a sigh. “I need to feed Echui,” she said over her shoulder, “then I think I will go to bed. Long day tomorrow.”

Her father came behind her and put his arms around her shoulders. “A very long day,” he agreed. “Riding all the way to the ranger campground to meet your friends. Do you think you will get there first?”

“I should,” she replied, leaning back against his strong body and resting her hands on his crossed arms. “I am closer than the others, as they are coming from Minas Tirith. I should be there in enough time to set up a camp.”

“Good.” Her father pressed a kiss to her temple and released her. “Best go feed your horse,” he said, smiling down at her.

Standing on her tiptoes, the young ranger pressed a kiss to her father’s cheek before exiting the house. The first stars were coming out, sparkling through the leaves on the trees, as she entered the stable. Echui greeted her with a cheerful whinny. He knew adventure and excitement lay ahead, and he couldn’t wait. Ilmare laughed softly as she patted his nose. “Easy, boy,” she murmured. “Get a good night’s rest; we have a long way to go tomorrow.” She filled his feed box and water bucket, brushed him thoroughly, then headed back for the house.

Yawning, she changed into her sleeping clothes and climbed into bed, blowing out the candle before she closed her eyes. “Good night, Ada,” she called into the main room.

“Good night, Rana,” he replied, calling her by her old nickname. Smiling, Ilmare drifted into sleep.

Hours passed silently as the ranger woman dreamed of Paldor and the road ahead. Around midnight, her ears, never quite asleep even when the rest of her was, picked up the sound of her door opening quietly and soft footsteps crossing the floor to her bed. Only half-awake, Ilmare opened one green eye as someone sat on the bed beside her. She saw her father, dressed in his own sleep clothes, sitting beside her and looking fondly down at his only child. “What is wrong?” she asked sleepily, closing her eye again.

“I cannot watch my daughter sleep?” he asked teasingly, stroking her short brown hair. In a more serious tone, he said, “I am sorry I woke you. I forget sometimes that you are sensitive to opening doors.”

“That is your fault, not mine,” Ilmare replied, the corners of her mouth lifting in a tired smile.

“I know. But go to sleep. You have a long day ahead of you.”

Ilmare nodded and slipped back to sleep.

Morning dawned bright and clear. Ilmare woke up when the sun rose and smiled as she realized her father had fallen asleep beside her. “Silly ada,” she murmured fondly as she got carefully out of bed and went to her wardrobe. Most of her traveling clothes had already been packed, but she still had one outfit. Taking it out, she buried her nose in the fabric and inhaled deeply. Ah, she loved that smell; her own natural smell combined with the piney smell from the woods around them and the fresh air.

Going back to her bed, she placed a hand on her father’s shoulder and shook him gently. “Ada, wake up,” she said softly.

His hazel eyes flickered open and squinted against the light coming in through the window. “Morning already?” he murmured.

“Yes, and you fell asleep on my bed, silly,” she chided gently. “Go away, I need to get dressed and moving.”

Her father laughed and stretched like a cat before getting off her bed and, depositing a kiss on her tanned cheek, leaving her room. The door clicked closed. Ilmare changed quickly, shivering at the chill air on her skin. Glancing in the mirror, she bound her hair back as best as she could before pulling her cloak’s hood up over her face. Picking up her quiver, she fastened it on before grabbing her wrist daggers and strapping them into place. Other daggers fit in other emergency places; one in either boot, one strapped to her upper outer thigh and one placed in a sheath stitched to the side of her shirt. All her weapons in place, the young ranger looked herself over in the mirror, nodded slightly, and exited her room, tossing her hood back as she did so.

The smell of a wonderful breakfast met her as she entered the kitchen, and she inhaled happily. Her father looked up and smiled at her. “All ready to go?” he asked, as casual as if she was going on a normal patrol by herself.

“Ready and willing,” she replied, unbinding her hair and letting it fall around her face again. Her father motioned her to the table, and Ilmare sat down gladly as he placed a full plate in front of her.

Their meal was quiet. Both were coming to terms with the fact that Ilmare was leaving on a quest that she might not come back from. Ilmare finished first and sat back in her chair to watch her father eat. He looked up from under his heavy dark brows and smiled at her. “Finished already?” he asked.

She smiled and replied, “It was so good; I could not leave it on my plate.”

He laughed softly. “You teaser! Go and get your horse ready, then.”

Laughing, Ilmare got up and went to the stables. Her father joined her there after a few moments, carrying her saddlebags. “Well,” he said quietly as she saddled Echui, “this is it.”

“Yes,” Ilmare replied quietly, leaning down to fasten the belly straps.

Nothing more was said until Echui was fully tacked up and the saddlebags firmly attached. Then her father said, “You do not have to do this, you know.”

“Ada, you taught me from the time I was little to keep to a task until it was complete. This is my task.” Ilmare’s voice was soft and heart-felt as she looked up at her father.

“I know,” he replied, resting an arm around her shoulders. “Can you blame an old ranger for wanting to keep the last member of his family close?” He sighed. “But you are an adult now, and you have the right to pursue love and adventure.”

“If you do not want me to go…” she began, turning to look up at him.

He put a finger over her lips. “I also taught you from a young age to keep your promises. You promised to meet your friends there today, and I will not make you break that.”

She blinked rapidly, fighting back her tears.

“Now,” he said, reaching for something behind his neck, “I have something for you.” He detached the gold chain that he always wore and handed it to Ilmare. It was heavier than she expected, and her hand dipped momentarily before she caught herself.

She had noticed, over the years, that he never took the chain off or—and this was the most notable—never showed it to anyone. He touched it occasionally, but no more than that. The chain itself was simple; a fairly thick chain of gold—gold and some other metal, Ilmare decided, noticing how sturdy it was. Mithril, maybe. What hung on the chain, however, caught and held her attention.

It was simple, but beautiful in its simplicity: an eight-point mithril star with strands of golden light radiating from it. Ilmare turned it over reverentially in her calloused fingers and read the inscription on the back: “To my beloved daughter Mir on your wedding day.”

“Mir is a name that your mother’s family used for years,” Ilmare’s father explained. “The necklace is about a thousand years old. It was a tradition for the mother to give this necklace to her eldest daughter on her wedding day. Now I give it to you, in the place of the mother you lost and in the hope of your future husband.”

“Ada, this is yours…” she began, holding the necklace out to him.

“No, it is yours now,” he replied quietly, folding her fingers carefully around it. “Your mother would have wanted you to have it. Wear it with my love and hers.”

There was no words good enough for this token of love, so Ilmare didn’t try to create any. Instead, she flung her arms around him and hugged her father tightly. He held her, cradled her head against his chest, and murmured gentle words in Elvish to her. After a moment, she released him and wiped her eyes. “I should go,” she whispered.

“Yes,” he agreed, brushing a hand through her hair. “Go well,” he added.

“Stay well,” she replied, kissing his cheek and fastening the chain around her neck. The necklace was heavy, but not uncomfortably so. Blinking away tears again, she mounted up quickly and rode away, waving to her father as she rode.

Ná Elbereth veria le, iell-nín,” he whispered as he watched her ride away, hair and cloak blowing in the morning breeze.

*May Elbereth protect you, my daughter.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 02:45
Tirgoth awoke very early, tried to go back to sleep, but ended up getting out of bed. He felt like a child eager to go downstairs for gifts from Papa Noel on the ancient holiday. Anxious, excited, nervous, tired...he couldn't decide which. He shivered as he took off his nightgown and reached behind his working clothes to take out a special outfit. These were the garments that he had worn on his one great journey and adventure, seven years before. Many times since then had he taken them out, and run his hands over the worn fabric, amazed by the tears and holes in the fabric. Often had he wondered what difficult journey had inflicted such wear on the solid clothing. Now he remembered everything, and was ready to set off on a new journey. He put on the clothes for the first time in seven years, and felt their comforting weight on his skin. Old they may be, but these cloak, tunic, and trousers were sturdy, and well fit to last him a long time yet.

He ate a lonely breakfast, trying to think of all the exciting things about finally leaving behind his life as a lowly smith, and once again adventuring with his friends. He was indeed overjoyed at the turn of events. But thoughts of Galcora still weighed heavily on him. Love is the strongest thing of all, and he could not clear images of her from his head. When he finished his bread and cheese, he knew it was still too early to find the best goods on the market, so he leaned back heavily in his chair, and closed his eyes, trying to center his conflicting emotions. He had to believe that Galcora would remember him. He knew that her memory had not been restored, nor would it be, fully. Somehow he knew that the old woman would not see them again. But that was as far as his knowledge went. He just had to hope, to believe in the power of what there was between them to stay with her, to let her know him again.

There was only one thing left to do. He scrubbed his dishes clean, and put them back in the cabinet, and waited. He returned to the table, and sat back in his old chair. He strummed work-weathered fingers on the equally weathered table, until he heard the creak of the door.

Mirdan called out "Tirgoth! I'm here! Let's get the forge going!"

Tirgoth just closed his eyes, and waited until the boy came into the kitchen. He walked over to Tirgoth, seated at the table, shook him by the shoulder and said, laughing, "Wake up old master, we've got work to do this morning!"

Tirgoth opened his eyes and looked steadily at Mirdan's grinning face.

"I'm sorry Mirdan, something has come up. I must be gone from the city, I do not know how long. Believe me, I do not leave lightly. It will be your choice whether you wish to attempt to keep the forge open while I'm gone…"

Mirdan's face was creased in a frown; he knew that his master did not joke about important things.

"I have enough money to pay you your base wage for a few months. Take as much of it as you need while I'm gone, I believe you have discovered the place…"

They both almost smiled; Mirdan was a crafty youth, and knew the secrets of Tirgoth's little house better than he did. But the smile faded, and Mirdan walked over to slump heavily braced on a wooden counter in the small kitchen.

"Well boss, I won't be keepin' it open without you here. If I tried to do the stuff you do around here, this smithy would get a pretty lousy reputation, and quick… Don't you worry about the money, I won't need much. I'l get a temporary job, you know, just till you get back…"

He shook his head, not wanting to get all sentimental or anything.

"Well, good luck on your journeys."

He walked out, trying to maintain an upright, easy posture.

Not too long later, Tirgoth left himself, bolting the door and posting a notice to his customers. He carried some money, his trusted sword concealed under his cloak, and an empty traveler's bag. He walked with his head facing directly forward, his stride long and confident.

He purchased a good many things at the market; several weeks rations for himself, flint and steel, water skins to be filled at the river near the western post, and all the other necessities. Taking his purchases, he walked towards the stable, quickly becoming re-accustomed to the weight of a pack on his back.

While he was in the White City, it had become too expensive for him to maintain his horse by himself. So he had come to an arrangement with one of the many privately owned stables in the city. His horse was fed, watered, and kept exercised by the manager of a small stable in the 2nd level. In return, he allowed his horse to be rented out to rich clients who wanted to take little excursions out into the countryside. She was treated well, it cost him little, and he rode her two or three times a week. Now he went to see the manager to negotiate her return to her true master. A little haggling and exchange of gold later, he was on the back of his familiar chestnut darling, riding toward the city gates.

As he road through the wide open, magnificent gates, he felt the wind off the prairie, and sucked in a deep breath. He cast off the hood of his cloak, and swept back his hair from his eyes as his horse trotted out onto the great Pelennor. Soon afterwards, he saw a horseman far ahead on the horizon, with what was apparently a dog trotting beside him. He recognized the other man's tall stance on his horse, and knew that it was Paldor ahead.

He urged his horse to a gallop, hoping to catch up with Paldor. He whispered into his beauty's ear, "You could use the exercise!"

GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 07:28
It was Jade who alerted Paldor to the presence of the rider behind him: With the pounding of his own mount loud in his ears, the Captain had been oblivious to the sound of a second horse galloping not far behind. Jade altered her pace: cutting slightly in front of Alanor, and then purposefully glanced backward in the direction from which they had come. Reining in his steed, Paldor turned to look at what had caught Jade's attention. He couldn't make out the figure in the distance but the canine's sharp eyes did and she gave one small bark of welcome. Paldor relaxed: It must be Tirgoth, he thought. Jade knew him well since Paldor often visited his old friend's forge while he was on city business with Jade at his side. He released his grip on the hilt of his sword -an automatic pose that he had fallen into as soon as Jade had indicated that they were being followed. Smiling in welcome as Tirgoth galloped to catch up, Paldor thought of the long, beautiful blade in the scabbard at his side. His friend had forged it himself, working on it for many weeks and presenting Paldor with the magnificent weapon only a few years ago. He had been speechless: both at the incredible talent of the smithy, and at the unexpected gift from a dear friend. Paldor treasured the blade above all of his other posessions and never left his home without it.

Now, he gave Jade the signal to move beneath Alanor as Tirgoth approached. His friend's steed wasn't as used to the canines as the war horses were, and he knew from experience that having Jade directly beneath his own horse would help prevent Tirgoth's mount from panicking at the sight of the large carnivore. Jade immediately padded to her accustomed place between Alanor's front and back legs, lying low to the ground at Paldor's command. Together, they waited as Tirgoth covered the terrain at a gallop, and pulled his own horse to a halt beside Paldor.

"Greetings, old friend," Paldor said, smiling warmly in welcome. "I am glad you decided to leave the city early as well. I think we are all impatient to begin our quest. And I will be glad for some company on the journey to the meeting place."

[Edited on 13/2/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email