Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
JC
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Voting Links
on: October 04, 2002 10:44
Guys I'm not saying that the other council is bad or anything, just that well I don't like they having the same name, and some stuff are similar.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: October 04, 2002 11:31
I'm still getting this error msg when I try to get into TW:
Warning: Too many connections in /home/gilm/include/tolkienworld/subroutines.inc on line 454

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Too many connections in /home/gilm/include/tolkienworld/subroutines.inc on line 454
Could not connect to database.

What's with this? Is that just a temporary shutdown on their server, or what?
theVoiceofSauron
Rumours Forum Moderator & Lieutenant of Barad-Dur
Send Message
on: October 04, 2002 11:46
yeah I got the same thing Scothia...dunno what it is though.:dizzy:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: October 04, 2002 02:19
Yeah, I've been getting it to. Too many people voting all at once, if I had to hazard a guess...
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 05, 2002 11:10
I see people are doing a really good job of voting..nice work people! Of course it's going to reset soon so you'll have to remember to keep it up!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 06, 2002 11:51
The voting counter has been reset for the week...don't forget to vote each day!
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: October 07, 2002 08:13
And remember: always go through the links on the Forum page to vote! Don't use your bookmarks! If you don't go through the Forum link, your vote in won't count for us. Votes in are what keeps us at or near the top, and that's great for advertising the site. So everyone do your part, and spread the word!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 08:35
I don't know about anyone else, but the Tolkien World link isn't working for me.
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 08:51
It seems to work intermittently. I'm not sure why. Some sort of server issue on their end. Just try it when you can, and if it works, good, and if not, then oh well
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 02:14
I'm beginning to be quite uneasy about this; I'm a member, occasional lurker of http://www.lotronline.com/, which seems to be sponsored by Blades by Brown Cutlery, and I got this in my inbox this morning:

Hello LOTRO Fans

Blades by Brown has been topled from the first spot at Tolkien Top 100. We fought a worthy fight to hold on but the overwhelming numbers from the membership in the Forum community of http://www.councilofelrond.com/ put us out of the premier spot.

Normaly I would not let this bother me but....but after I did some looking around and discovered all the gloating over there victory, I sorta thought...well we are a community too! One of the largest out there. And I thought maybe I could ask our friends here at LOTRO to get envolved in our battle

So I ask you? Would the members here at LOTRO like to give your sponsor Blades By Brown a hand in getting our top spot back? Will the forces of Lord of the Rings Online join in our quest? It will be challanging but I know that with over 1,200 members here we can use our clout too! Let's have some fun and show others that we too have power in numbers.

If you choose to join in with us and want to help Blades by Brown and show your support here is how to do it.

You are allowed to vote every half hour to do this you must go thru our sites banner for Top 100, just go to http://www.bladesbybrown.com/lotr.html look on the left for the gollum that invites you to vote for us click it then enter the site and that is it your vote is counted.

Oh and the whole thing resets every Sunday night at 12:00 midnight. So if you up for a battle let's do it! And persistance is the key they will not lie down quietly. But remember this is all in fun so no bashing of the site on our site please lets just have some fun and show our strength.

Thanks

Swordsman

I can hardly see how we're gloating, besides the normal fact that we're happy of COE getting the attention it deserves, and I would think there's a reason for why we're very popular right now. I wouldn't have posted this, but for Swordsman's ominous mentionings of 'a battle', all in the name of fun, of course.
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 03:22
Well you know that's very interesting, see this is why I personally am against ranking people or sites at all because people take something very simple and silly and turn it into a competition for no reason at all. I mean come on people do we believe that anything will come of being number 1 on some ranking site? CoE is number one because of it's members and it's staff and it's content even if nobody voted for us again (not that I'm saying you shouldn't!) but hey let them have at it.

Just wonder why the actual site Lotronline.com doesn't have it's own position instead of letting a silly cutlery site get top ranking.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 04:04
Well, they seem to have a nice enough site over there with quite a few devoted followers (yes I'm registered over there also), but I think it's really tacky for him to imply to the members of that site that we've started some sort of "war" with them.....gloating? Whatever......................
You mean we don't get a million bucks for being #1 M? I was under the impression that there was a large cash prize to be had..

[Edited on 10/11/2002 by Aowyn]
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 04:42
Yeah but after R takes her cut I get all the rest

mwa ha ha ha!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 04:48
*Aowyn ditches her pom-poms and starts unlacing her cheerleader sneakers....*
no $$$$ for me? I'm outta here!
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 05:07
Rivka is sad. I don't think our excitement over making it to number 1 qualifies as "gloating". Why can't all sites just get along and enjoy the fact that we're _all_ doing well, and have a lot of visitors? And I honestly don't think we're pushing the voting half as much as some sites do -- we have a link in the forum index, one when you login, and this thread that hardly anybody reads anyway. That's it. Some *ahem* sites have blinking banners on every single page of their site, exhortations on their front page, and multiple ways to get people to vote. I'm honestly surprised that we're doing as well as we are, considering. It's just that we have a very loyal fan base, who want to help us by voting. Ah well.
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 05:25
This is probably a silly post in general because it somewhat goes against what you've all been saying with the exception of M, who I quite agree with. I don't like ranking sites, because this is what happens. A massive competition and a rivalry grows between sites, which I don't like because then instead of our community (and by all means other Tolkien communites) are in a way punished because we wanted to say how much we like the site. Also, the rivalry between sites really disrupts the flow of information and of sharing. When competitions infiltrate these communities and then the members become very protective of their site, pertaining to information, set-up and most importantly, reputation.

All this ranking thing is is a popularity contest. I'm sorry, but quite often the number of votes a site gets has nothing to do with how good it is. CoE has gotten number one and by all means I believe that CoE deserves it. Rivka, M, Lozza and allll the other admins., moderators and of course the members. As Rivka says, the way that other sites 'push the vote' has a bit to do with it. And Riv, I disagree with you when you say that we don't push it very much, but that's just a comment and not a criticism, so please don't take it that way. We don't push it nearly as much, you're right...but I definitely think that we still do. It doesn't bother me, per se, that we want people out there to know who we are, what CoE is about and to know how great it is. I just don't think we need a voting system to do it.

One last and final thing before I get off my soapbox and let you people rail me, is that the competition spans to the members and like it or not, we start 'dissing' sites. Riv and the other admins/moderators have tried very hard to keep this to an absolute minimum and I respect that, but it's not exactly stoppable. Pride gets in the way too many times and instead of branching out and sort of partaking in a 'cultural exchange' with other people from other sites (because let's face it, the communities differ from site to site.), members now are more inclined to see outside sites as 'the enemy'. And I think that really shortchanges a lot of people and that they'll miss out in the long run. So again, I have to restate that these are generally made comments and I'm not aiming them AT anyone at all, I just...feel I need to get them said for my own sanity. Riv, M...all the admins., moderators and other helpers of the site...You've done an excellent job, just...extremely outstanding...

[Edited on 10/11/2002 by Trignifty]
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 06:00
Hmm; I can see what you're saying, Trignifty. I'm guilty of some ::cough:: harsh words myself. And don't worry, I don't think we'll 'rail you'?

To be logical though, I don't think the original purpose of COE joining these topsites was to create any rivalry or win a popularity contest. I think the purpose was to simply gain more traffic, and it certainly seems to be working. I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of people on COE, and right now we have 35 guests, whereas a few months ago the most I would've seen was 10. I'd like to see what it's like in an American or European peak time.
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 06:09
Well, I'd like to respond to one of your comments Note that I said "I honestly don't think we're pushing the voting half as much as some sites do." I agree with what you say-- we do push it, and I never said we didn't. When we weren't pushing it at all, and only had a link on the "Support CoE" page, we were lucky to get 2 votes a week Now that there are links here in the forum, our votes have obviously improved. But I still don't think we put anywhere near as much effort into getting votes as some sites do.

Frankly, the only reason I want people to vote is because putting us at the top of the list means more people notice the site and are likely to visit it. As M pointed out, us being "#1" doesn't gain us a prize or money or anything of real value But do you know how many new visitors we get each hour from those two sites? A lot. So in that sense, being at the top is a very valuable place to be. If there was some way to advertise sites like this without having to resort to ranking or voting, I'd be all for it, because when it comes down to it, I'm not too fond of ranking/voting systems. For me, there isn't really a rivalry going on with these other sites -- I just want to get our name out there and get people to visit our site
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 10, 2002 11:53
I quite agree with you Rivka--the purpose is to get people to notice the site. I do visit quite a few of the other sites, and post on some of them--and I've noticed that we're not on their links lists--and I know it's not from a lack of asking. So the only way really to get our name out is by word of mouth or by sites like Tolkien100. Patting yourself on the back because you attain a goal you never really thought you'd reach (whether it matters or not) is not gloating. And we don't push it near as much as other sites, that's true. If Firiel got that pm, then I'm sure it'll be sitting in my inbox when I go and look also.
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 11, 2002 08:19
Well, I just posted on their forums, to apologize if our excitement seemed like gloating, and to extend an olive branch. Perhaps we can find some way to work together to benefit both our sites. I'd much rather forge cooperative relationships with other sites, rather than try to compete with them or divide the Tolkien community...
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: October 11, 2002 09:12
Riv, you always seem to know what to do! That was a good idea. But I mean, come on - gloating? I think maybe that's a bit OTT. I don't believe we were going that far...

[Edited on 11/10/2002 by Tanlaithwen]
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: October 11, 2002 02:05
And we don't push it near as much as other sites, that's true. If Firiel got that pm, then I'm sure it'll be sitting in my inbox when I go and look also.

Just to clear up any confusion: it was my email inbox. Sorry if I confused anybody.
swordsman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 08:47
You're right Tanlaithwen and for that I do apologize. It was not the best choice of words to use. As some of the members pointed out there is nothing wrong with celebrating your successfull arrival at the top. You deserve all the recognition that goes along with it.

I'm looking forward to ansewering the memberships questions here at CoE. And I hope to be able to post news as it arrives. Im looking around and getting to know myself around so I can post things in the appropriate sections but I did not notice a section for collectibles or swords...shucks
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 10:06
Hey welcome Swordsman, pop into the Prancing Pony and tell us a little about yourself in the "Getting to Know You" thread...hope you like it here
swordsman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 11:01
will do.....thanks
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: October 14, 2002 06:10
...Im looking around and getting to know myself around so I can post things in the appropriate sections but I did not notice a section for collectibles or swords...shucks

Swordsman, over at The Last Homely House (click on the section to your left, under Community) we are working even as I type on opening a Weaponry category under Diversities. Collectibles could go there as well. Please, any expertise you have in this would be greatly appreciated! PM me anytime concerning this.

[Edited on 10/16/02 by Scothia]
swordsman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2002 11:38
Ill get there guys...I have been terribly busy getting some websites finished that customers are demanding to be done. As soon as I get some extra time I will drop in intrduce my self and get to know my way around here at CoE. THank you for the warm welcome and Im looking forward to talkiing to all the blade heads here too! And giveing you guys all the up to day news we can Oh by the way speqking of news I got some posted at LOTRO I wil post it here when I can but in the mean time you can check out this and leave your comments if you like. After I find the correct area here for news of swords I will post them in it. Here is the link for the latest news http://forums.lotronline.com/showth...=&threadid=4846
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 22, 2002 12:04
By the way, to answer an earlier question -- I believe the Tolkien Top 100 allows one vote per IP address every half an hour. The TolkienWorld site is much more limiting as far as voting goes -- I still haven't been able to get an answer from them about voting. I'm guessing it's one vote a day that is counted per IP.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email