Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
Post "Sons of the Woodland King" OOC Discussion
on: March 31, 2004 04:07
“SONS OF THE WOODLAND KING” Roleplaying Game ((Welcome! :wave: ))

Category: Free and Open to all. It's never too late to join!

Setting: The Woodland Realm, approx. Third Age 3000 (before Gollum and War of the Ring)

Themes: Drama/ Romance/ Adventure/ Angst/ Humor!

General Storyline: Starts off in a Cinderella-type of situation, and then we kick off from there. Basically it will revolves around the lives of the five princes: their separate roles as sons of the King, their bond as brothers, and their journey to find love and self-discovery. :heart:

CHARACTERS:
The Royal House of Mirkwood:

King Thranduil (free for all to RP)
Queen Maereth (free for all to RP)
Lord Elvomir, the royal maître d’ (free for all to RP)
Lord Saelon, chief advisor to the King (CityofAngel)

The 5 Princes
Mirion (CityofAngel)
– (age: 3000+) eldest son and crown prince; known for his gallantry and heroism in battle; virtuous and responsible; leads the armies of Mirkwood
Tueth - (Ireth_elfmaiden)
– (age: 2900+) second son; known for his bravery and rebelliousness; stubborn and somewhat arrogant; head trainer of his father’s soldiers
Arvellas - (CityofAngel)
- (age: 2800+) third son; known for his wisdom and peace-loving nature; shy and industrious; works in the royal libraries as a scholar, advisor, and historical researcher
Gelir - (Mithelril)
– (age: 2600+) fourth son; known for his outgoing nature and mischievousness; clever and fun-loving; leads and facilitates the royal hunters
Legolas - (Mithelril)
– (age: 2500+) youngest son; known for his diplomatic skills and service to others; gentle and kind-hearted; serves as his father’s herald, messenger and link to the common people

Princess Itarille
– wife of Prince Mirion - Tazz

The Ladies who will attend the ball and befriend the princes (OPEN FOR ADDITIONS):
--- Lady Fredia of Mirkwood
--- Lady Hathien of Rivendell
--- Lady Ereste of Lothlorien
--- Lady Narulothwen of Mithlond
--- Novfenien, handmaiden of Andoreien
--- Lady Andoreien of Lothlorien
--- Lady Galvinuiel of Rivendell
--- Anira of Mirkwood
--- Lady Alcarinque of Rivendell
--- Lady Melima of Rivendell
--- Caerwyn, a human girl
--- Nuelda of Mirkwood
--- Lady Nevna of Mithlond
--- Lady Minya of Mirkwood
--- Lady Nya of Mirkwood
--- Lady Alasse of Lothlorien
--- Lady Caradien of Mirkwood
--- Lady Eliora of Mirkwood
--- Lady Simbelmyne of Mirkwood
--- Lady Earane of Mirkwood ~New!~
--- Lady Aramir of Gondor ~New!~
--- Mair of Mirkwood ~New!~

The He-Elves open for ladies! :love: (OPEN FOR ADDITIONS):
--- Lord Aerandir of Mirkwood
--- Lord Athdar of Lothlorien
--- Lord Finde of Lothlorien
--- Lord Faevaethor of Rivendell
--- Lord Nestor of Mirkwood, cousin of the brothers
--- Lord Otherion of Mirkwood, son of Saelon
--- Lord Darthol of Mirkwood
--- Sidhon of Mirkwood, a human scholar
--- Lord Pencalben of Mithlond
--- Lord Valendil of Lothlorien
--- Aruad of Mirkwood
--- Lord Edwenion of Mithlond
--- Lord Dior of Rivendell
--- Prince Elrohir of Rivendell
--- Lord Durhir of Mirkwood
--- Lord Coru of Lothlorien
--- Thalitalion of Lothlorien
--- Gwanunig of Rivendell
--- Lord Celahir ~New!~
--- Lord Robinton ~New!~
--- Mithrandir (Gandalf) ~New!~
--- Thorongil (Estel/Aragorn) ~New!~

** To newcomers: It's never to late to join us! Just PM me or post here and I'll help you and your character get started. :disco:

For any more questions/concerns, contact me at any time! et:

IMPORTANT: My postings are either listings that change very often or reminders/information about the thread. Pls. time to visit the OOC to check these out every now and then. Thanks!
:cheers:

[Edited on 23/7/2004 by CityofAngel]
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: "Sons of the Woodland King" OOC Discussion
on: March 31, 2004 08:00
For your convenience, here's a link to the thread:

Sons of the Woodland King

[Edited on 2/4/2004 by CityofAngel]
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 08:21
hey! I'd love to join your rp! Can I be.. um... Lady#2? I'll need to think of name...
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 09:04
hey, i pmmed you, but just to be sure....can I be ...ummm....I dunno...some lady, I'll be using Alcarinque again in this thread too. And may be Arcuied will come along for the trip.
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 10:44
On second thought, can I be Lady #5?:love:
goldberry
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 11:29
Ok can I be girl #4? Prince Gelir sounds like fun I'll PM you
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 12:10
I'm in. I plan to use my name, since it's elvish. I had this whole post written out & lost it!!! :angry: Anyway, since this is a bride-finding ball, I assume that more than one lady can try for any prince, right? I'd like to see each prince controlled by someone OTHER than the lady who wants him. More suspense & romance that way.

Have any of you seen The Slipper & the Rose? It came out in 1976 & is a musical starring Richard Chamberlain as Prince Edward, the MAIN character. We get to see the story from HIS viewpoint. His distress over the stifling duties of his position - he could give Ever After's Henry pointers! I HIGHLY recommend that everyone in this RP see both movies. This is where I got the term "bride-finding ball."
BTW- Today is Richard's 70th birthday! Dr. Kildare is 70!!!

I find that I am drawn to studious Prince Arvellas. My hobbit character was Bilbo's secretary & went on to help restore the archives of Minas Tirith with Tegol (an npc very much like Arvellas). My curiosity leads me to try to find the meaning of the names of the royal family. GOOD JOB, City, with names & bios! Very diverse!
Queen Maereth = good

The 5 Princes
Mirion = jewel + son
Tueth = muscle (tu)
Arvellas = king + body strength (my research found that V is sometimes B & bellas = body strength. there may be another meaning for his name.)
Gelir = merry, happy.
Legolas = green leaf (but you all knew that already!)
May I please require all the 10 main characters to have their own profiles in the players’ lists?

Do you mean in the RPG database or just here?

[Edited on 31/3/2004 by Narulothwen]
Mithelril
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 02:02
Here I am, ready to be any prince(s) you need me to be. I think I identify best with the younger three. May I be Gelir? Or Legolas? Or both?
Thanks (I think), Naru.
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 03:10
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED!!!

(This post will be edited constantly. Whenever someone new joins, his/her name will be added here.)

CURRENT LIST OF PLAYERS AND THEIR CHARACTERS:

CityofAngel - Mirion, Arvellas, Saelon, Otherion, Darthol, Sidhon, Durhir
Ireth_elfmaiden - Tueth, Finde, Aerandir
Mithelril - Gelir, Legolas
Tazz - Itarille, Coru

anduril269 - Fredia, Aruad, Mair
Hathien_Oronar - Hathien
Narulothwen - Narulothwen, Nevna, Minya, Pencalben, Edwenion
Meliot Bolger - Novfenien, Thalitalion
Niere - Caerwyn
goldberry - Galvinuiel, Faevaethor, Dior
viggosgal - Andorien
moondown - Anira
alcarinque - Alcarinque
Nessima - Melima
~Nuelda~ - Nuelda
elven_princess_of_Lorien - Valendil, Alasse, Caradien, Simbelmyne, Earane, Celahir and Robinton
annunvingiel - Nya
musicgal123 - Eliora, Gwanunig
Vaneldwen - Nestor, Athdar, Ereste
skylarelf - Elrohir
Aramir - Aramir ~New!~ :wave:
Gondren - Mithrandir, Thorongil ~New!~ :wave:

If you wish to back out or switch or change anything, just post here or PM me! :feedback:

TO THOSE WHO STILL WANT TO JOIN:
There are two options:
a) play a maiden and "compete" for one of the princes; eventually you might even just want to go with another male character you meet along the way! :naughty:
b) play one of the ff. relations: best friends, teachers, soldiers, rivals, bad guys, visitors to Mirkwood, ex-lovers, etc. (sky's the limit!)

Those who have already been assigned their characters may feel free to start posting on the thread itself!

Have fun guys, and thanks again! :hug:

CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 07:59
CHARACTER PROFILE LINKS:

Princes:
Mirion
Tueth
Arvellas
Gelir

Ladies:
Alasse
Alcarinque
Anira
Andorien
Aramir ~New!~
Caerwyn
Caradien
Eliora
Ereste
Fredia
Galvinuiel
Hathien
Itarille
Mair ~New!~
Melima
Narulothwen
Nevna
Novfenien
Nuelda
Nya
Simbelmyne

Lords:
Aerandir
Aruad
Athdar
Celahir ~New!~
Coru
Darthol
Dior
Durhir
Faevaethor
Finde
Gwanunig
Nestor
Otherion
Robinton ~New!~
Sidhon
Thalitalion
Thorongil ~New!~
Valendil

Please DO take the time to read these...it will help in your participation in the story!

To those who have created profiles for their characters, PM me their names and I will add them here for everyone's convenience!

Thanks!

[Edited on 4/7/2004 by CityofAngel]

Ghost_of_Gandalf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 01:00
CoA...how about Arvellas, can I take a stab at his character?
Mithelril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 05:54
Look, City, another PRINCE! Welcome, Ghost of Gandalf. As I PMed, I already offered to be 2 Princes, so I have no worries. I imagine we can hand other characters off as new players come in if that's OK with the author! *(exits, thinking about What Gelir is like, tall, short?...)*
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 06:15
I would have been a prince, but seeming as almost all my other characters are males... I wanted to play a female for a change! I've finally found a name for my char, and have posted in the thread. yey!!

I think it would be muchmuch more interesting if we make the whole love thing more complex, and not just pairs falling in love with each other..
e.g...Legolas falls in love with someone who is in love with one of his brothers, but her family want her to marry the one she doesn't love.. and etc.. so it's all jumbled up and more interesting!!

[Edited on 1/4/2004 by anduril269]
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 08:53
Hey, I kind of have a concern where this story line is going...It's all cool to have it interesting if there's competition, but if you think about it, it might be a bad idea. I mean,
1.) There aren't enough guys to go around
2.) The people who end up choosing their girls are the people who happen to be acting the character of the guy, which kind of puts girls in a rank below
3.) Even if there were guys to go around, girls who didn't get a prince would feel miserable, if they got a guy at all.
4.) If the Princes didn't choose girls, there wouldn't be any finalization and girls would have to keep turning on their charms, which gets tiring after a while
5.) We're in a rat race in reality anyway, with school, friends, crushes, boyfriends, etc., why do we have to pull over that kind of competition into the RP?

I'm sure this problem can be solved pretty easily if there are other elf-lords who are just as high rank as the other princes, or from other elven realms.
I was just kind of concerned because I don't really like to compete with people for getting a person's friendship or love, and that's the way I work in real life too.

[Edited on 1/4/2004 by alcarinque]
Mithelril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 10:11
alcarinque, may I address some of your concerns?
1.) There aren't enough guys to go around Ah, but there MAY be soon! Some new players will join. I know Naru can handle a male character, Hann & Tagol are both very realistic people.
2.) The people who end up choosing their girls are the people who happen to be acting the character of the guy, which kind of puts girls in a rank below. The privilage of royalty? I intend to put my lady/ladies on pedestals, personally!
3.) Even if there were guys to go around, girls who didn't get a prince would feel miserable, if they got a guy at all. Not if she finds true love/her soulmate/whatever in a lord of Rivendell or a cousin Thranduil or... And who's to say the lady might not reject a prince in favor of another? You have the right to say no, just like in reality.
4.) If the Princes didn't choose girls, there wouldn't be any finalization and girls would have to keep turning on their charms, which gets tiring after a while. I gotta agree. But I think we will see the "happily ever afters" here...
5.) We're in a rat race in reality anyway, with school, friends, crushes, boyfriends, etc., why do we have to pull over that kind of competition into the RP? It's all in fun & the exercise in writing. The suspense of the pursuit. The thrill of the heart. Are you backing out on me, my dear???
Gil-galad_of_Lindon
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 12:00
I'd like to join as a male elf. Maybe servant of some type? I'll come up w/ a prof and start tomorrow, if you'd like. Salut!
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 01:17
Alright, Alright, *flaps hand* I don't mind. Just as long as everyone gets a nice guy :love:, I don't mind. On with the thread.
Viggosgal
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 02:19
I would like to be one of the girls fighting for Gelir. He sounds like the guy I'm with in the pub. Thi is going to be fun!
Niere
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 08:59
I'd like to join as a female character. She's human, so maybe/maybe no romance with the guests. Check out Caerwyn if you want to know about her. If I ended up competing for any of the princes *gulp* it'd be Arvellas.:blush: (Spelling is wrong, I know. I mean the quiet one.) But, I don't think so.... royalty's out of her league. Hope everyone likes me!

[Edited on 31/5/2004 by Niere]
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 09:17
G'day all. In case you have not already seen, I (with the consent of City) will be playing Prince Tueth now.

I will also be bringing in my own free character, Findecano (Finde for short). Finde has a profile already (to which I see City has posted a link to above) and he is open to any maid who wishes to go for him. I will beging my posts a bit later though as I do not currently have the time.

See you all later.
~Ireth~
Vaneldwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 10:12
Hey I'm in! I'm going to be playing a he-elf Nestor. And maybe another... I'm still waiting for City to pm me back about him and perhaps a she-elf... I promise NO MORE THAN 3!!! hehehe...
alcarinque
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 12:41
hey, I really wanted to post now, but I don't have time! >-< I'll be away over the weekend, but I'll be typing up a really long post on my laptop!
Niere
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 03:06
Can someone please help me? I've been trying to get an image for my character, but most of the images I download to my hard-drive won't load onto the profile. It says that it'll only take jpg and jpig images or something, and the pics I download somehow get converted to Windows BMP image-types. Can someone tell me how to find an image that'll work? Thanksies!
~Niere
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 03:51
LOCATION SETTNG of "SotWK"

Just wanted to clear up some things regarding the setting of our story:

We will follow Tolkien's vision of Mirkwood and Thranduil's underground fortress. Meaning, the palace not like the “Sleeping Beauty” or “Ever After” type of palace, and the forests are not entirely bright and beautiful like Lothlorien.

Here are descriptions I took from “The Hobbit” and placed here for your convenience:

On Wood-elves:
“…if they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong, even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.” (Ch.8, “Flies and Spiders’, p.166)

On King Thranduil’s Palace:
“In a great cave some mile within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king. Before his huge doors of stone a river ran out of the heights of the forest and flowed on and out into the marshes of the feet of the high wooded lands. This great cave, from which countless smaller ones opened out on every side, wound far underground and had many passages and wide halls; but was lighter and more wholesome than any goblin-dwelling, and neither so deep or dangerous. In fact the subjects of the king mostly lived and hunted in the open woods, and has houses or huts on the ground and in the branches. The beeches were their favorite trees. The king’s cave was his palace, and the strong palace of his treasure, and the fortress of his people against their enemies.” (Ch.8, “Flies and Spiders’, p.167)

“…This was the bridge that led across the river to the king’s doors. The water flowed dark and swift and strong beneath; and at the far end were gates before the mouth of a huge cave that ran into the side of a steep slope covered with trees. There the great beeches came right down to the bank, till their feet were in the stream.” (Ch.9, “Barrels Out of Bond”, p.171)

“Inside the passages were lit with red torch-light, and the elf-guards sang as they marched along the twisting, crossing, and echoing paths. These were not like those of the goblin-cities: they were smaller, less deep underground, and filled with cleaner air. In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood.” (Ch.9, “Barrels Out of Bond”, p.171)

Taken from “The Thain’s Book” (http://www.tuckborough.net/mirkwood.html)
On Mirkwood:

TREES: Many of the trees of Mirkwood were ancient and very tall. The canopy of the forest was a thick tangle of branches that let in little light. Among the different kinds of trees were beeches and oaks. Fir trees grew on the slopes of the Mountains of Mirkwood in the northern part of the forest. There were also many dark fir trees in southern Mirkwood around the bare, stony hill called Amon Lanc.

RIVERS: The Forest River flowed through the northern part of Mirkwood from the Grey Mountains in the north to Long Lake east of the forest. The Enchanted Stream sprang from a source in the Mountains of Mirkwood and flowed north to join the Forest River. Another stream, whose name is not known, flowed east from the mountains into the River Running. The River Running passed through the easternmost edge of Mirkwood for a short distance.

ROADS: The Old Forest Road was the main thoroughfare across Mirkwood from west to east. The road came down from the High Pass in the Misty Mountains and crossed the Anduin at the Old Ford before entering the forest. There was also an Elf-path farther north that could be entered through the Forest Gate on the western edge of Mirkwood.

ANIMALS: Many animals lived in Mirkwood, including black squirrels and deer, some dark and some white. There were large black bats and dark-grey and black moths that were as big as a person's hand. Above the forest, black emperor butterflies lived in the treetops. Ordinary spiders also lived in the treetops, while down below dwelled the huge and terrifying Great Spiders who wove webs in the tree-branches and fed on warm blood.

For our purposes:
1) We won’t make Mirkwood as gloomy and dodgy as it was described in the book. The immediate area that is near Thranduil’s palace will be a “safe-zone”, protected by the elves’ magic. Only the outer areas will be relatively dangerous (and conducive for adventure!).
2) The “Royal Gardens” will be a beautiful field behind the cavern palace, where the royal family always holds their feasts and celebrations for the people.
3) All the visitors from the outside realms will be housed in Thranduil’s palace for the duration of the story.

Hope this will help us match with each other in our descriptions of the setting!

[Edited on 5/4/2004 by CityofAngel]
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 04:48
Would I be able to join? My character is Elvereth Leralonde in the db. I'm willing to be anybody's friend/family/servant/lady in waiting etc. If anybody would like me to take a role as a 'lady in waiting' (personal maid that helps with clothes etc.) or anything I'd be happy to take the part.
In the db it says Elvereth is from Rivendell but we can imagine she's from someplace else. Anyway if nobody has a role for me I'll take role of a servant, if I get accepted.

[Edited on 3/4/2004 by Elrin]
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 05:15
Niere & anyone else with this problem, have you tried opening the pic in Paint or whatever you have & SAVE AS a JPEG? I've found saving as gif loses some color & clarity. Make sure it's within the size limits of the Db, too.

Who'd think we'd have name confusion here? lol I find that my nickname -Naru, meaning "red"- is also the name of a hawk kept by Caerwyn (Niere). And now I see that Anira (Moondown) has a mother who shares a name with Háthien's dog! We should be honored.

[Edited on 3/4/2004 by Narulothwen]
Niere
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 07:03
Narulothwen,
Eeep! I didn't know you at all when I named my character's hawk. I hope you aren't offended or anything. Thanks for the picture advice, I really need it. I'm the only human in this thread so far, please don't hurt the little human!
Anyway, I'm loving this so far. This is my very first RPG, so thanks everyone for letting me be the lone human. :blush: Merci and hannon le, everyone!
~Niere

Later: I got my picture loaded! Thanks Narulothwen, it worked perfectly. Go check it out....

[Edited on 3/4/2004 by Niere]
Ireth_elfmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 08:52
Just a quick update with me. I have descided to play one more character, Aerandir. A quick over view of him, he is a captain of the Mirkwood army and a good friend of Legolas' (and I suppose a friend to all the princes as well). He will be open for anyone to take interest in, but just FYI, he will end up with Ereste (who I guess is going after Prince Tueth but is turned down by him).

Aerandir will fall for Ereste when he sees her, but she is concentrated on Tueth, so to make things more interesting, if someone wants to, their maid can go after him (anyone want to love a captain?? LOL) just know that he is going to end up with Ereste at the end.
Mithelril
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 09:11
I've added Gelir's bio to the Database. CoA, if I need to change anything say the word. Do any of you really feel the NEED for Legoalas' bio? He's the brat too often NOT sitting next to me at the council. Where did he learn to be so outspoken?
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2004 10:24
NOTES ABOUT THE POSTS:

1) Please makes sure to read everyone's posts and see if there's a "cue" or "opening" for your character to jump into a conversation or encounter with another player's character(s).
Our goal here is to have a free-flowing thread, but at the same time make sure each and every player is made welcome and NO character is left behind in the story. Please always try to be sensitive to the presence of all the players. :heart:

2) To those characters who are (currently) not yet in Mirkwood/Thranduil's halls, (ie. still in their home realms or on the way) don't expect to get reactions or encounters from the other characters since you're not in the real location/setting of the story yet. Once you're within the area of the princes' home, that's when you can demand to get noticed by the other characters/players.
CityofAngel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 04:51
ON PLAYING MULTIPLE CHARACTERS:

As you may have noticed, some of our players have two or even three character roles listed under their names. You are most welcome to handle as many "official" (ie., not just "extras") characters as you wish, as long as you promise to be able to keep up with all of them! :dizzy:

Other players' characters can get "stuck" in a certain situation or scenario and cannot move on with posting if your character(s) (whom, let's say, they were last with or talking to) is not active enough. It's all in the name of RPG courtesy and consideration, really! :love:

Thanks!
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 05:23
*sighs* Honored indeed, Narulothwen. hahahaha. I'm afraid my character's dog was so named 'Naneth' (mother in sindarin) because I was lacking imagination that day. Anywho, if that offends you, Moondown, I'm terribly sorry. But, what can I say? I couldn't resist.... my own husky is named that. A cute, furry dog named 'Mother'. *gets warm fuzzies all over*
anduril269
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 07:19
With so many people joining, I'm getting a little confused...
My character is dead set against falling in love, and marriage etc.. but she'll change during the rp. In my first post in this thread, I wanted my char to fall for Tueth, and I'm still of that opinion! What I was wondering is who, and how many people are trying to get each prince?
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 08:53
Well my character is a handmaid, so princes are out of the question. I probably won't have my character fall in love or have a crush or something.
Narulothwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2004 10:36
I've named my traveling companions:
Lords Pencalben and Edwenion and Ladies Minya and Nevna. The elves of Mithlond tend to be dark, rather than blond. I do'nt plan to play these 4 other than as background. If else someone wants to, go ahead! I might even get one of them pursuing someone (other than a prince) if I get bored!
anduril, the nice thing about RP as opposed to real life is you can take your time to digest all the info & take notes! I'm doing just that!
Having the characters in the Database is a big help, too. Can't wait to see more.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email