Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
Post Old Questions- Please read!
on: April 03, 2004 09:06
Just to let you all know that is clean up time here in the Newbies Forum. Concequently some threads will be combined and some removed altogether.

Please understand that this is done to make the server perform better and to make room for new features to be added to CoE.

Only old and unused threads will go. This announcement is made in the hopes you will understand why if it happens a thread you made has disappeared. I will not be able to PM each and every poster in a thread being removed.

Some older threads may be kept if they were a good discussion or imformative for example.

Please don't go on a posting spree to save all your old threads. If they have been idle for months then its unfair to other newer threads if you suddenly make them active.

I decided to store here for the moment any old tips from threads that are being deleted, thus keeping useful info until I can see if we have it duplicated. Or indeed if we need any further explanation on a problem.

Happy_hobbit

Hiya!
Well newbies needs some cleaning again, so I thought I'd expand on Happy_hobbits thread and make this thread for commonly asked questions. I'll be moving all of the older questions with useful info in them here over the next few days. Before asking a question in the forum, it would be nice if you could check here first. If the question you want to ask isn't here or in the FAQ or you need more clarification on a question, feel free to ask in the main part of the forum.
Eloise

[Edited on 14/8/2004 by Eloise]

Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post RE: Old Questions- Please read!
on: April 07, 2004 10:17
Combining a short Question and answer thread

Almarsáre asked:

Can anyone tell me how to post a url link when submitting a news item?

Ringhilwen gave this advice

Normally, you can just copy/paste the URL into the body of the news article and the admins will fix it before the item gets posted. If you want to put the URL in the proper HTML code when you submit it, you can use:

Text here

or just Text here

Almarsáre ~ Thank You Ringhilwen, Much appreciated

[Edited on 8/4/2004 by Happy_Hobbit]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 10:29
Some of our members asked :

A bunch of you have some gifs in your sigs of various characters. Can anyone tell me where you got them? Thanks.

K had the answer:

heres where alot of them are from Lord of the Icon

also its worth checking out the multimedia section (in film fun and facts) im sure i remember seeing some "adoptables" there... im sure Ringhilwen wil correct me if im wrong.

also there might be some links to LotR sites with these things on in the link section on the left hand menu.

Ringhilwen then added this useful tip

In case, with your icons, you want to make it formatted like some people on the site do, with the icon on the left, and ALL the text beside it, you can use this simple code in your signature.

(Put this in first, before your text)

Then, enter your text after it. Be sure that there's quotation marks around the URL, and make sure there's a space between the last " and align. Also, remember that signatures should be no more than 3 lines high, including the icon, so the code is a great way to make it look smaller.

Thanks to both

Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 10:38
Gallery Info from Lollypop

I've come across a lot of comments on pictures in our gallery lately, that are breaking our rules, most of them made by our new members. So I am posting the rules in here again, and would like you to read them carefully.

Rules for posting comments:

1) Do not rip on the actors or characters.
2) Do not make personal attacks or comments about other members.
3) Please refrain from posting how much you love a certain character. No one cares how much you love Legolas. Really.
4) No swearing, overt sexual comments, or anything else deemed inappropriate.

The admins reserve the right to remove any comments.

Please keep these rules in mind every time you comment a picture. Comments that are breaking the above rules will be deleted.

Remember that the rules are there for your own protection, we're not just trying to be mean and spoil your fun. If you find a comment that offends you and you feel is breaking the rules, or if you have any questions concerning the gallery comments, please feel free to PM the gallery shirriffs: A!Elbereth or Orosarniel.

[edit: I no longer work as a gallery shirriff, so please do not contact me about things concerning the gallery comments... otherwise you can PM me as much as you like ]

Orosarniel added this advice

Just another reminder to everybody-- small, simple comments that only consist of "LOL!", "ha ha" or "ROFTL" will be deleted.
While going through the galleries, I've seen quite a few of those, and I'm sure Lollypop and A!Elbereth have as well. Please refrain from posting such comments, it'll make our jobs easier. Thank you!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 10:44
Aearrinn asked:

I have some artwork that I would love to submit to the fan art section but I am unsure of how to go about doing so? Any help would be appreciated!

K had the answer:

First please make sure you remove the white borders- for instance if you are scanning a picture you drew theres no need for loads of white space and a tiny sketch in the middle.

make sure its in .jpg format. the gallery doesnt show .bmp you can convert your image easily on most graphics programmes.

make sure its no wider than 600 pixels- again you can resize using your graphics programme. if its wider than 600 pixels it wont be accepted.

now to go to film fun and facts, then gallery. at the top of the page you will see a link for "submit media" click this link.
now...

you pick a catagory- find and select fan art.

media name: whatever its called... "grima 2" or something

file name: press browse and find it on your Cdrive. now make sure its called something differnt like... kla-12-grimtwo something no one else is likely to have picked. becuase if you call it.. legolas_black and white then its likely someone else will have alreayd uploaded one called that which will be a problem for the admins.

description: "this is a pencil sketch of grima, i did it a few weeks ago and i dont like the hair but was pleased with my attempt at the eyes and expression on his face, please comment or constructively critiscise" or something.. whatever you want to say.

click upload... its that easy really

one more very important thing- do not submit fan art as your own unless you actually made it the staff here consider passing off another persons work as your own as plagerism and its treated very seriously.

good luck

Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 10:49
The Lady Tigress had this question

I wanted to post a fiction that I had writen, but wel, I'm afraid that I know computers about as well as I know Arabic...which is not at all! Could someone possibly give me step by step instructons on how to accomplish this? Also, the instructions should be in a language that a 2 year could comprehend. Thank you for whatever help can be given.
Rachel,

Rivka's reply:

Okay, here's how to do it:

1) Go to Fan Creations on the menu on the left, and select Fanfiction on the drop-out menu.

2) Once you're within the Fanfiction section, click the "Add Story" link up near the top.

3) Read the Submission Rules, and be sure your story falls within our guidelines.

4) Choose the category that your story falls under from the drop down menu, and click the "Add Story" button.

5) Fill out the summary and title fields with appropriate information.

6) You must copy and paste the text of your story into the one big box labelled Story Text. To do that, open your story in whatever program you wrote it in, and select all of the text. Then go to Edit-->Copy at the menu at the top within the program. Come back to the Fanfiction window, and place your cursor in the Story Text box. Then go to Edit-->Paste at the menu at the top of your browser window, to paste the text into the box.

7) Choose the appropriate rating, characters, and genre for your story. In most cases, leave the Roundrobin selection set to no.

Click the "Submit Story" button. Hopefully, everything will work okay The admins will review your story, and if it is acceptable, it will be included in our archive.

TIP: if you added the first chapter of a story, and want to add further chapters to it, do not submit them as new stories. Instead, go to "Your Stories", and view the first chapter of your story. While you're viewing it, you should see links near the top of the story that say "Add Chapter" as well as links to Edit or Delete the story.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 10:59
Legolus88's question:

how do i change the theme on this site?

Trignifty had this advice:

To change the site theme, go to 'My Account' and click on 'select theme'. Once that page loads, you'll see a drop down menu of all the different themes as well as a link to an area where you can view each theme. Select the theme you would like in the drop down menu and click 'save changes'

To change the forum theme...Go to the forum index, on the forum toolbar you'll see an option that says 'profile'. Click that and it will take you to the page for profile editing, the first option of which is 'theme' Choose the theme you would like from the drop down menu and click 'save changes'.

K added

dont forget... if your unsure of the theme you want you can check out previews of them in the gallery section.. just go to the gallery and pick the themes folder.

Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 11:24
Cheryl asked

Umm... could anyone tell what the hell does 'Media name' in the gallery uploading section, mean? Is it for us to state that it is in JPEG. format? But I thought that that was the only medium accepted?! So what does that term mean? Please help.

Ringhilwen
had the answer

Fairly simple - it means what is the "title" of the picture....not the filename (I guess you could make the file name the title), but something like "Legolas and Gimli" or "Legolas looking hot" or something. The gallery admins will probably change the title while validating it, since they have a system, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 09:39
Carnehiriel asked:

I was wondering if anybody knew what the stars meant that are beside your avatar when your on a forum because sometimes people have one and sometimes people have three? could someone please help me?

P.S.

Feel free to private message me thanks bye bye

Eloise replied

Ok, you and me both have one star, because we're just normal memebers. Those that are the moderators have three red stars. If your a realm leader you have two yellow stars and if you're our fearless leader, Rivka, you have four blue ones.
Hope this clears it up!

However since this post Eloise has become a Mod and now has three stars

Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 09:53
There isn't a button for galleries or journals. Sorry!

And I'll post the smilie codes here:
:lol:
:laidback:
:zzz:
:embarrased:
:uneasy:
:goofy:

:wondering:
:unimpressed:
:worried:
:\(
:frustrated:
:grr:
:sick:
:devilish:
:scared:
:thumbsup:
:thumbsdown:
:entertained:
:!:
:mindless:
eeved:
:jester:
:martini:
:beer:
:crap:
eace:
:hungry:

Some are the same codes as the forum ones, I'd post them but you'd just see the faces!

[Edited on 9/11/2003 by Eloise]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 09:57
News: To submit News, go here. The Admins in charge of News are morwenna and Beleg_S, if you need to PM them. Submission guidelines are on that page.

eCards: To submit eCards, go here. Submission rules are on that page, but check out the thread called "eCard News and Info" in the Announcements forum for more rules and info. Contact LadyCeleborn if you have questions.

Humor Stuff: Check out this page. All info you need for that should be found there.

Last Homely House: Head on over to this page for info on submitting to the LHH. All instructions, and people to contact are listed there.

Multimedia (Wallpapers, etc): The submission form for downloads can be found here. There's a link on that page to upload wallpapers, and you can take the URL from that form, and add it to the main download form. If you have questions, ask LadyCeleborn.

Games: If you have ideas for games, or quizzes to submit, you can contact Lady~Eowyn, the Games Helper, or Rivka.

Fanfiction: The submission guidelines for FF can be found here. There's also a link on that page to submit your work for review.

Gallery and Fan Art: If you have pictures that aren't in the gallery, or fan art that you'd like to add to the gallery, you can submit them through the gallery here. All rules and tips are on that page.

Encyclopedia: To submit terms to the encyclopedia that aren't already listed there, you can go to the encyclopedia, click on the category your term would be included in, and then click on Add Term at the top of the page. You can contact Nienna-of-the-Valar or atalante_star if you have any questions.

Middle-earth Sections: Contact atalante_star with ideas and submissions.

Hope that helps!

[Edited on 2/12/2004 by morwenna]

[Edited on 15/3/2005 by Ringhilwen]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 09:58
oh some general guidelines firstly... for any coe article it must:

- have good grammer, puncutation and spelling. spell check exsists so use it

- be well written, an article that follows no logical order doesnt make good reading.

- be an original peice of work. CoE takes plagerism very very seriously indeed, be it fan fiction or encyclopedia entries it must be your own work. and all refernces must be cited to the admin at least.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 10:08
5_of_Cups had a password question:

Hullo all!

I've just joined, and would like to change my password to something other than the one that was sent to my email address, as I find it a bit hard to remember. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to change it. Can anyone tell me how?

Morwenna had the answer:

Hi there - to change your password click on my account (at top of the page) then click on change your info (the one with the pic of Galadriel), then go to the bottom of the screen, type your new password in twice in the boxes and then click on save changes

[Edited on 9/4/2004 by Happy_Hobbit]
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 10:26
HirilMiriel asked

How do you subscribe to threads, so you know when new posts are entered in them?

Eloise had the answer:

Ok, you need to post a reply to what ever thread you want to subscribe to. Then, there should be a little ticky box underneath the area where you enter text which says recieve email notification of new replies? tick that box then reply to the thread. If you want to unsubscribe to anythreads, you can do it under profile (The forum profile, not your overall site profile under my account)

NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 10:52
Eden_of_the_WoodlandRealm asked:

I have a question. What are the "ranks" in CofE? Like, I have one star by my screen name, but othes have two or three and titles like "Misty Mountain Moderator". How does this work?

NenyaGold replied

Ranks of CoE are Mods, Admins, Realm Leaders and, of course the Head Oligarch, Rivka. Mods and Admins have three red stars, Realm Leaders have two gold stars and Rivka has four blue stars.

Then there are ways you can earn points to get your own unique rank, where you can choose anything you want to be. As an example, mine is "Legend of Lothlórien" which I chose when I earned 100 points. You can review the point system by clicking on *My Account*, then *User Points*.

If you are not one of the above, you will be ranked a Council Member with one gold star.

[Edited on 1/3/2004 by NenyaGold]

Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 11:01
Here are a few comments on Gallery submissions that all users should fnd helpful:

Gallery submissions usually take at least a couple of days, because of the volume, the fact that Elen and I both have jobs and go to school, and other factors such as having to pm submitters and explain that their picture will not be accepted because they did not follow the submission guidelines, or checking to make sure the pic isn't already somewhere in the Gallery.

To ensure the fast possible validation of your pictures, please follow the following guidelines:

1. If it is Fan Art, please follow all submission guidelines and submit to the proper area. If you are not sure what the proper area is, go and see what's in that Gallery before you submit. If it's all movie shots, don't submit fan art there, for example.

2. Always submit .jpg files. The Gallery doesn't accept anything else.

3. Do not submit oversize pictures and assume that I will resize them for you. I won't. Neither will Elenisil.

4. Do not submit more than once. Always check and make sure that the picture does not exist already before you submit it. Submitting the same pic twice (by the same person) can cause both pics to be wiped out.

5. Do not pm the Admins until a reasonable amount of time has passed about your submission, about a week. We can validate things much quicker if we don't have to deal with a bunch of pm's first. In the grand scheme of things no one is going to die if their pic doesn't go up for a couple of days

6. Lastly..if it is Fan Art, if you feel it is in the wrong section (i.e. it's in Simple sketches or Detailed Artwork), please pm me and let me know your opinion. I may change the location of the picture. Don't post 20 million comments on the pic about how it is in the wrong place. That doesn't help.

Lastly, there is a thread called "Concerning the Gallery" in the Announcements Forum that concerns all things Gallery.

[Edited on 9/1/2003 by Aowyn]
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: April 09, 2004 11:09
kaazebrabeads asked:

What I would like to do, if possible is use a picture from the gallery in my RPG characters bios........

I'm not sure how to do it or who I have to contact for the permission.

I don't want to use it off site and since Im not a good artist, I will definately give credit to the person whos pictures I use.......

Thanks

kaazebrabeads
Kelly

Eloise replied:
Ok, I take it you're talking about fanart? In that case you should definatly get permission. The name of the person that drew that picture can be found in the submited by bit at the side of the picture. You should probably pm them and ask for permission.
Giving credit is something you should probably do too, I'm sure the artist would apreciate it

[Edited on 10/4/2004 by Happy_Hobbit]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: August 14, 2004 04:56
Rohanmaiden asked: I made a site not too long ago and want to put a link for this site using one of those pictures that are under the "link to us" section. I wasn't entirely sure how to do it since it says no remote linking allowed and I don't know what that means. Do i just save the picture, post it on my site, and then put it as a link or how do I do it? Thanks in advance

~RM

Ringhilwen had the answer:

Yup, that's pretty much it. Save the picture to your website (upload it), then post it wherever you'd like, and make the picture link to CoE. If you're using HTML, the code would go something like this:

Obviously, renaming your website and using the name of the image.

LaurelinDoriath
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 03:34
I know that this isn't a place for asking questions, but I'm gonna ask anyway. I have a little problem with avatars. I have tried to upload one, but they always say that the picture is too big and bla bla bla. I don't know what to do, I have already tried to make the picture smaller, but it is still too big. So, can you help me, please?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 07:29
The size avatars have to be is 60 pixels. If you can't resize your pic, send me a link to it, or post it, and I'll resize it for you

[Edited on 11/9/2004 by Eloise]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 12:11
Erm Eloise...it's actually 60 pixels.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 09:29
same difference

Ok, sorry, Lady's right, its 60 :blush:
nenya63
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 11:45
I know I'm being a pain, but I'm really having such a bother trying to change avatars and use signatures.
Do avatars have to come from the general pool? I've tried downloading from my hard drive, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Cheers ..... Ninde x:heart:
Laiquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2004 02:20
When you're asked to read and review someones work, what kind of thing are you supposed to say? Just something nice and constructive or is there some sort of criteria for posting reviews?
Shieldmaiden34
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 12:16
Hi, a lot of people have quotes from LOTR at the bottom of their comments, or reviews........How can I get That?

Thanks,
Fainiel
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 25, 2005 02:22
It's called a signature, and you can get one by clicking My Account at the top of your screen. Then click on Change your info. Scroll down until you see the box that says Signature, and type what you want to see at the bottom of your posts in that box.
Shieldmaiden34
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 08:00
Thanks alot, Lady Eowyn!
TinaHalfelven
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 01:28
Can I submit a VSD or can only CassieClaire do that?
Rasputina
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 04:19
I keep trying to upload my avatar, (and it IS appropriate, just to clarify...) but it will not appear. It is exactly 60 by 60 pixels and is a JPEG. What should I do?:cry:
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: March 15, 2005 01:29
Can I submit a VSD or can only CassieClaire do that?

Cassie Claire is the author of the Very Secret Diaries, so to write one would be stealing her idea and plagarism if you use the same ideas and words. So, you cannot submit a VSD for another character. You can however create your own unique humor parody piece and submit that to the humor section.
Lómë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 09:55
I have a question about my nick. When I registered, I didn't put all the dots and lines and everything on top of the letters, and I don't know how to fix it. Usually there's a part for that in my profile, but here, I can't find it. It's really bugging me, so I would appreciate it, if you could help me.
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 05:20
Lome, you need to contact Gwendeth, the accounts admin, and she'll help you out
jedi_eowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 12:06
okay i know that this will sound silly, but is avatar free?
Yaviel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 07:49
Hi, i hope this is the right place to ask this, but i am trying to PM someone but every time i try press Submit, it says that the person's inbox is full,and it doesn't send the msg. Are mgs deleted after a certain time or is there maybe another way of getting hold of the person?
Please help!!
Yaviel
Frodos_Cat
Resident Feline of Bag End
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 10:41
This is a fine place to ask. Messages are not automatically deleted. If someone has 75 messages stored up in their box, they won't be able to get any more, which is why you're getting that message. If they don't delete a few of their old ones, they won't be able to get any new ones. There's no other messaging system on CoE, but if they frequent the forum or the chat rooms, you might be able to communicate with them that way.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email