Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
alduya
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: List: How to scare people (With LOTR, der!)
on: May 05, 2004 12:13
I just thought of a really good one! Have arguments with yourself. (As in Gollum/Smeagol)
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 12:58
Oh my gah. I just listened to the Half Fling, and I feel a lot better about what I write on my guitar. I don't feel so alone in my strangeness now, because the members in my band think some of my stuff is pretty strange... Whoever posted it, I love you!
I had something else... what was it... Oh, play Tig in the hallways at school. I do it all the time with some friends. No one gets it when you start poking eachother yelling "TIG!" "TOG!" and then making elephant noises. But, that is the point of being so strange, isn't it, preciousss? :evil:

I tigtog!!! yayay for everyone who plays Tig here!
Oh! and I was the one who posted the Half-fling site... It's great, a classic... at least for us. http://www.aerindipity.com/music/halffling.mp3 is an actual link... oops.
Everyone's quoting me! yay, I feel so special!! *huggles everyone* *grin*

came up with a few more!
**Answer all written questions in the Cirth. If a teacher marks you wrong, take out your copy of RotK or LotR (if you have the one volume editions) and show the appendices, and the characters. Prove that your answer is right, then demand they give you full credit for it.
**Sing "Home is behind..." walking home from school... a little odd... but oh well...
**When someone says, "I swear, ..." ask if they'll swear on the Bible. Pull out your copy or LotR, "Place your right hand over your heart, left hand on the Bible. I swear ..."
**When you're in the car with your parents/siblings/friends start talking about how much the Rockies (Rocky Mountains, I live in CO) could have been the PERFECT Misty Mountains (well... when it's misty they could be...) or possibly a great "TTT opening scene" mt. range (which is true for most of the winter) *address the most famous mountains... long's peak, pike's peak, the other 14ers (14,000 ft or more) as Caradhras... "Wanna try Caradhras?, I hear there're some pretty good trails..."* and how that ditch definitely came from the Shire, how... *etc*
**Write all over your teacher's black boards in the Cirth, or just in Sindarin or Quenya... my US History class has "FRODO LIVES!!!" all over it.
**Translate your name and your friend's(') names to elvish (I'm Eldaretarion or Eldhirrin, my friends are Dinalu and Arafan) and demand to be addressed by that name
**Write all over your arms in tengwar/cirth sindarin/tengwar or random symbols from the books (Felarof, the White Tree)
**Embroider said tengwar/cirth sindarin/tengwar or quotes or symbols onto your backpack (I am!!)
**Carry around a tape recording of the entire thing... or as much has been released so far... FotR and TTT
**Transcript book-rhymes and movie-songs and carry them around ALWAYS

Ummm.. that's all I can think of right now... btw, I'm just taking this from stuff I do.
SpideyWing
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 07:57
-Start playing tig in public.

Inquiry-Can you tag on a tog, and if you can't, does it involve pant removal?

*Clears throat*Sorry. On-topic, though, I can't say I've done a lot to scare people with Lord of the Rings knowledge. However, I've done a few odd things.

1. Used one of my favorite sayings, "By the Elendilmir..." on a local conversion person. I saw said person's smile freeze on their lips. It was great. (Yes, I can be evil.)

2. Made my first two speeches in my Speech class only on LoTR. The first one was introductory, including Aragorn's song/limric when he was croned. The second covered important people, times, and events in the Second and Third Ages of Middle-Earth. It ran twenty minutes. Again, greatness!

-Curse people in Elvish
-Start singing in Elvish
-Start writing Elvish.... EVERYWHERE

Note to self: Actually use Sindarin stuff I printed out.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 07:35

Inquiry: Can you tag on a tog, and if you can't, does it involve pant removal?

hmmm... Well, if you're Lijah, you can't. And the pant removal was, this is a direct quote (I went and transcripted a good half of the Cast Commentary on FotR)

...and if you're going to tig Billy, then you have to do your best elephant impression. And if Billy's gonna tig you back, you haveta get on your knees and pull your trousers down.

So, if Billy does tig you back after you tig him, and if you are in fact Elijah Wood, then yes, it does involve pant removal. Not that that's a bad thing with Billy involved... *stops mind* whoa, not going there!

*can't think of anymore stuff....*
Well, transcript the Commentaries and carry them everywhere with you. and then memorize them.
OH, and methodically chant the Book of Years (Appendix B) during a work period in class.

And that's all (for right now), Folks!
Sodrius
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2004 10:11
Ask to look at someone's ring...
Then fondle it and recite Gollums speeches.
MerenwenTelemnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 10:20

start quoting lord of the rings randomly
when people start saying- i'm atheist i'm egnostic, i'm christian, i'm buddhist, i'm hindu i'm jewish etc etc say, i believe in Eru, also known as Iluvatar, creator of all
or, listen only to the adiotape/cd of LOTR.
fortunately, tehse have been tested and u are sure to
A. scare your sisters
B. force everyone even your freind who u thought! was a LOTR fan to call u a freak and a dork
C. Convince ur sister that u are a switchling
D. Make those crazy/lusty love-letter writing boys stay away
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 11:35
-Writing essays in English comparing something with LotR.

I actually did this today on my final exam (which we got to take early.) We had to write a persuasive essay on if the idea that a pearl distorted Kino's senses and value from a selection on John Steinbeck's The Pearl. Now I've never read the book but from the selection I read, I couldn't help but be reminded about the Ring's influence over Frodo. Hopefully I did well.

-Shouting "You shall not pass!" whenever someone cuts in front of you without asking.
Miss_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:01
hehe, I do the 'you shall not pass' thing, hehe, but only with my close friends. They already know i'm a bit odd, so i have nothing to lose.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:17
-Writing essays in English comparing something with LotR.

the stereotypical Finnish women vs. Eowyn
Hazel (Watership Down) vs. Sam

but what about just lotr topics, those scare teachers more (go off quoting the book randomly in your essay, especially when its a draft written completely in class (to the lotr fan teacher: What? you didn't expect me to quote The Hobbit in that? I'm talking about Bilbo, it makes sense to...)
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2004 05:26

but what about just lotr topics, those scare teachers more (go off quoting the book randomly in your essay, especially when its a draft written completely in class (to the lotr fan teacher: What? you didn't expect me to quote The Hobbit in that? I'm talking about Bilbo, it makes sense to...)

Classic! I do this all the time! I even did this in my English prelim, I don't know what I was writing about but suddenly I started comparing it to the relationship between Frodo and Gandalf and then threw in some of Gandalf's lines. Surprisingly I didn't fail!
MeriBrandagamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 12:18
Glue hair to your feet and run around dressed as a hobbit.
The first time I did this, I was giving a presentation on Tolkien. I was walking down the hallway, and one of my friends walked by. She stopped, looked me in the face, looked at my feet, then back up at my face. "You're a hobbit," she said, stating the obvious.

Tell your friends you would smoke only if you had pipeweed, because it's not harmful to your health.

Figure out how the Shire calendar corresponds to ours, and use Shire dates when writing letters. Also, figure out what year it is by Shire Reckoning, and try to figure out your hobbit geneology.

...Can you tell I like hobbits?
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 05:46

fortunately, tehse have been tested and u are sure to
A. scare your sisters
B. force everyone even your freind who u thought! was a LOTR fan to call u a freak and a dork
C. Convince ur sister that u are a switchling
D. Make those crazy/lusty love-letter writing boys stay away

Unfortunately, it didn't accomplish the "Keeping the boys away" part for me. It's odd... you'd think they'd stay away from someone who keeps yelling stuff they can't understand (cuz they don't know Sindarin, Latin, German, Danish, or Spanish. not saying I'm fluent... I just know little bits of each).
And basically everything I've listed, I've done. You'd think that was enough to drive them away! Honestly, like I wanna know what they have written on their boxers? lol
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 04:15
Here's a list of Ways to freak people out with LOTR. I found it on a site, quite sme time ago. http://groups.msn.com/-TheLandOfHobbiton-/yourwebpage12.msnw
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
on: March 13, 2005 04:23
This isn't really a way to scare people, but it's really funny!

Next time you get in trouble with your parents, haughtily reply to them, "Gondor has no parents. Gondor needs no parents."
EllaBeth
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 03:07
--Shouting "You shall not pass!" whenever someone cuts in front of you without asking.

Lol! I've actually done this! Totally freaked out the person who was trying to walk on top of me. *laughs* The sad part is that I didn't even know that I had quoted good ol' Gandalf until my laughing friends pointed it out!

And then today, my boss and I were leaving work to go to lunch when our way out was blocked by this huge mass of people. This meant she and I had to go down two extra hallways to exit the building, and then all the way around to get to our cars. I huffed "If you ask me, we're taking the long way round!" ( I know this isn't the exact quote) Again I didn't notice what I had done until my boss had to sit down from laughing! :blush: I've also been know to quote Glorfindel, and Galadriel at really odd moments... (Maybe I have a thing for G's ?)
EllaBeth

kingofnoldor
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2006 12:42
-At the end of a film in a cinemar, yell "Make for the Gap of Rohan!" (I did this the 1st time i went to see PotC #2 ang i got some glares and i think i scared the cimemar staff if they heard!!)
- At Yr 8 camp, our teachures started playing Tig with a kinfe and a fork and I was the only one who kiew what they were doing! I think.
- call your favorite item "My precious" (I call my sterling silver ring "My Precious" and I dropped it in public and i screamed "My Preciouss" really loud!! I scared a few people even my mum!! :disco: )
- Name horses at your riding stable after Lotr horses (I did this wilst jumping. The horse I was riding ouldn't go over the jump so I accedently said "Get over it Brego" :blush:
-
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2006 05:48
Don't know if this has been said yet, but I've found that the best way to scare people is to just not shut up when on a lord of the rings talking spree! Ha ha! I have often had my friends warn my other friends not to get me started on the lord of the rings (infront of me to) and...actually...it doesn't work. *Shrugs* LOTR is in my blood.
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2006 10:32
Oh, here is one for the pot...

When someone asks you "How do you know that?"
Tell then "[insert favorite LOTR character's name] said so."
And if they don't know who the character is then look at them with wide eyes and say "You don't know them? Where in Arda did you learn history?"...

Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2006 06:48
No, no, no just scream at the top of your voice and duck for cover "NAZGUL!!!"
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2006 10:07
Yell first duck second right?

Corven!
Dives for the nearest shrubbery...

Ok so they were just pigeons...
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2006 08:18
oh,...just pidgeon were they? they looked like Nazgul!! They were bombing us.
Galenlomeiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 01:11
lol, this is great! Back in 7th grade, I wrote two Rivendell songs, dressed as much like an elf maiden as I could, and sung them in front of my english class...it was fun to see people staring at me like I was a crazyhead...
I came up with two things to do, although forgive me if they are stupid, as I am not very imaginative:
1) Stare at some kind of water until someone asks "what are you doing?". When they do, continue to stare and say that you are not to be interupted while gazing into the mirror of (your name here). If they try to touch the water, grab their wrist and scream "STOP! YOU MUST NOT TOUCH THE WATER!"

2) You will require an assistant for this one. Dress like Galadriel. Go somewhere public with you assisstant. Have him/her bring a flashlight with a bluish/green filter, a gold colored ring, and a small fan. go up somewhere where you will be noticed. Then, have your assisstant hold out the ring to you and say what frodo said while offering Galadriel the Ring. Have your assisstant shine the light on you and turn on the fan so it makes your hair blow aorund. Make your voice go all deep and spooky, and say what Galadriel said in response.
Jozy
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2007 02:23

-Name ordinary objects (e.g. a pencil, your shoes) after LOTR characters....Especially good if you loose them "Where's Shadowfax? I can't find my Shadowfax!"
-Renact the battle of Helm's Deep with different peices of your lunch...With sound effects
-Call things My preciousssss (I do this regularly)
-Announce your visiting Lothlorien over Spring Vacation
-If people upset you, start "gollum-ing" at them
-Wear a gold ring on a chain around your neck

[Edited on 6/4/2004 by DiamondxOfxLongxCleeve]

Wow, I've done lots of these! Except when I took the One Ring from the LotR Risk game and started wearing it on a chain, my mom asked me why I was carrying sin around my neck..
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2007 08:53
--I've written "Corrected by (My name in Quenya)".

--I'll write elvish everywhere, my wrist, my ankles, my hand...

--At least once a day this happens:
*I hear something really bad/stupid*
Me: Oh, Eru...
Person next to me: What?
Me: Nothing....
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2007 12:31
when you get in trouble, quote Gollum from when he tried kill Frodo in Shelob's Lair. ( the precious made us do it. ) or talk in elvish to people and use it in public. I have also done the my precios thing with various objects, but have never played tig. I need to start.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2007 11:38
OMG, I love playing Tig! It is the best game ever! My sister and I will play it at home, at the mall, anywhere!
Esmerelda~Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2007 07:42
Okay, I got a few!
1. Me and my friend were waiting to get picked up from ballet class, and a few other girls were there. These girls happen to dislike us for some unknown reason. Well, first we sang the flashmovie "They're taking the hobbits to isengard". The other girls were like, "What the heck was that?" and we just started laughing. Then we started speaking to each other in Elvish, and they were like "What?" and we kept speaking. Then, I started teaching her how to write in Hobbit, and they left.

2. I played tig at the beach with some little twin boys that have not seen LotR, and it scared their dad, and mine!

3. When my brother gets on my nerves, I scream "HAVO DAD!" or "AVO BEDO!" and my mom gets really worried.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2007 11:40

2. I played tig at the beach with some little twin boys that have not seen LotR, and it scared their dad, and mine!

Once my sister and I were at a school play, and in the middle of it we started playing tig and I had a to do a silent elephant impression! Lol, good times, good times...

frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: September 30, 2007 03:51
i went to a fair yesterday, and there were little mini horses and my sister and i were calling them hobbit horses and trying to find the ones that looked most like bill. when we were on rides, we would call out quotes to each other (we must get off the mountain!) and people were looking at us strangely.

[Edited on 25/10/2007 by frodofan14]
ArodieltheElfofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2007 11:21
OH another thing is randomly say the thing arwen says to the Ringwraith in elvish hahah teh responces are the best!

Yeah, that one's great! Another good one is when you're either out in public or at someone's house and it's storming outside, and every time it thunders you mumble "Drums, drums in the deep..."
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2007 01:27
Ha ha ha. There are a few tricks I've learned to scare people.

1) Talk about LOTR often enough that you don't have to say much to get them scared.

2) (And this is a personal favorite) Sit quietly doing something peaceful around friends, and just wait, if you even THINK that there was a mention of LOTR in any way, shape, or form turn about so suddenly that you startle your friends and ask about LOTR.

(Example of that one is: I was sitting at Games Workshop {my favourite hobby store} and I was painting away quietly, I don't think that I had moved in a long time, my friend was talking to someone and he mentioned Frodo. I whirled about {knocking the table slightly} saying "Frodo? Where? Where?" Everyone jumped and my friend broke down laughing.)

3) Of course, the singing, and I love random hobbit dances. I managed to teach the little kids on my block the "happy hobbit dance" Where Merry and Pippin are on the table in Rohan dancing away (ROTK). Tehehe. It was funny!

4) Warn people right away that you are a LOTR obsessive and immediiatly launch into a lengthy conversation about LOTR.
EstelwenJesusFreak
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2007 03:04
omg, tig in public is the best!! me and my bff played it... Also, telling my parents i wanted plastic surgery on my ears pretty much got me some awesomely strange looks.. lol
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2007 09:33
Insisting upon wearing a cape to public places
Having a random pair of Elf ears around the house
Having a random tunic/sword/belt/boots/pants and insist you're an Elf while wearing them
Take hikes in the woods and scream "Orcs are coming" and hack at a dead tree w/ sword (this works)

How to scare LotR friends:
Tell them you're sick of LotR and need a break...(I did it)
Toss out all LotR stuff and suddenly start into Star Trek or some other Sci-Fi fantasy thing, including dressing/acting like your fav cahracter
ArodieltheElfofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2007 09:56
Insisting upon wearing a cape to public places
Having a random pair of Elf ears around the house
Having a random tunic/sword/belt/boots/pants and insist you're an Elf while wearing them
Take hikes in the woods and scream "Orcs are coming" and hack at a dead tree w/ sword (this works)

Those are great! I've done the first and third thing, and I'm proud of it (no matter how many odd stares I get). The fourth thing sounds like great fun, I'll definately have to try that!!!
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2007 11:02
We were in the middle of a lecture on the Middle Ages (don't ask me when) when my junior year history teacher mentioned the war of the ring. He went on about Isildur, his failure to destroy an evil weapo, and the weakness of men. Fortunately only one other person besides me understood what he was talking about and went on to ask questions and pretended to take notes while the whole time, he was writing, 'Frodo Lives' over and over again. It was funny to see the class flipping through texts trying to find their place.

It made me giggle anyway.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email