Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Pads
Council Member
Send Message
Post Funny Names
on: April 16, 2004 01:52
The Vocabulary thread gave me the idea of collecting strange names. I know one of a musician that I find quite hilarious...

Jullien, Louis (George Maurice Adolphe Roch Albert Abel Antonio Alexandre Noé Jean Lucien Daniel Eugène Joseph-le-brun Joseph-Barême Thomas Thomas Thomas-Thomas Pierre Arbon Pierre-Maurel Barthélemi Artus Alphonse Bertrand Dieudonné Emanuel Josué Vincent Luc Michel Jules-de-la-plane Jules-Bazin Julio César)

This is real. He lived in France from 1812-1860 and had 36 godfathers...

What names come to your mind?
Amythyst
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Funny Names
on: April 16, 2004 10:32
Well, my sister's name is Bean....
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 06:01
Names can be really cool. My sisters names are Kiri and Naigo (Ni O).
Wulf_Sternhammer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 16, 2004 06:14
I have an uncle Odd. his first name is actually Oddfella. This is real. He is Norwegian. my grandfathers younger brother. Growing up I always thought it was so cool having an Uncle Odd.

Live and love
Wulf.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 12:19
We don't have any funny names in my family, although there used to be a girl at my school called Jauhara.
Legolisa_
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 04:59
Not a lot of funny names in my family....just kinda unusual. I do however know some people named: Josthanny, Ornan and Olando. I don't know how "weird" those are, but that's all I know!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 11:46
Hmm... Old-fashioned, maybe, so they might seem funny to some. My grandfather (maternal) was named Wilfred, but everyone called him Brownie because his last name was Brown. I had a cousin Avon (pronouced Uh-von), who went by Vonny. My great-aunt's name was Ardis (and my mom's first name too), my great-grandmother was Mamie (nickname for Marian). No really off the wall names in my family. Mine are sort of old-fashioned as well: Audrey Elaine. I guess it depends on the culture and/or country one comes from. Wilfred is very Brit as both sides of my family were. My dad's name was Herbert Henry (and he was the second or junior).
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 05:50
I went to school with a girl named Pixy.........
Other than that I cant really think of any
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 06:12
I once went to school with a girl named Brandy Wines...
And I have an aunt named Barbara whose nickname is Bubba.
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 01:21
nick names count? okay! I'm Averie (really) Glori, geesi, Abe, Abraham, and Encyclopedia. I know a girl who we call Pappy, really Petra. One of my best friends is Stephen (which isn't really strange), another is Jordan aka Joe-Brain. Annabelle, Olive, Cocoa, Rosie, Lulu are all people I know. My older brother is Luke Eugene, my older sister is Julia Faith, my little sister is Jaysa McKayla. My uncle is named Jock. ummm... I think that's all I know... at least for the moment. Oh, Shakespeare had a character names Aragon, just so you know. we all *probably* know Viggo, which is pretty strange... umm, yeah, that's it.
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 03:14
I used to know a girl named Arrow...
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 03:35
My mom knew a girl whose parents were cruel enough to name here Star Bright. She couldn't even get out of it on standardized tests (Bright, Star, LOL!).
Gimli_and_Gollum
Superdwarf
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 04:05
I know a kid named Brock Lee. This is true! I've also heard of a Crystal Leer, and her middle name was Chanda, Chrystal Chanda Leer.
Taffy
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2004 10:30
My sister is called Bib, real name Elizaeth, but we've always callad her Bib, she calls herself Bib
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2004 07:52
I have an Uncle Toopy
SkyFaerie
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 01:07
My name was going to be Larkin, which I would've loved, incidentally. Instead I got something very straightforward and boring. But one of my best friends is named Pim.
tuttleturtle
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 03:26
My friend's great, great grand uncle was named Narchesso (none us us know the spelling)
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2004 07:44
Let's see:
One of my students is named Moon.

My nephew's girlfriend is Kestra Moonbeam. Her mother was a hippie type.

My niece we call Biz or Bizzie. Short for Elizabeth.

A great-great-great grandfather of mine was Tychicus. Would appreciate anyone telling me how that is pronounced. Have no clue. Very Scottish grandfather at that from what we've been able to find out.

I swear this is true. My husband - before he was my husband- told me there was an Ima Hogg and a Ura Hogg in his hometown. I didn't believe him. I looked in the phone book on the first visit to meet the parents...and there they were.
freddo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 02:19

one boy at my school is called kyle reeks
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 05:30
My friends grandad is called Grace
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 10:45
lets see:

-Princess

-Queen

-Jabari (not sure how strange that is)

-Lyons (my dad's middle name)

my best friends nicknames are: Ene, and Arare. mine is Fala.
Atolkienhead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 05:41
OK folks MY name is Shabie(long a as in baby). It was a Great Great Grandmothers' name but other than that no one seems to know anything about it. My mother loved the name soooo.... I have never heard of another with that name. I would be thrilled if anyone knew something about it!!!
RaeLyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 09:51
I was looking up a # in the phone book a few weeks ago, and
happened to notice a few "Doe, John" listings. How could any
parent do that to their child? My mom went to school with Richard Butte. And a colleague of my grew up with Harold Loinz.
MeriBrandagamba
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 11:08
I have a somewhat uncommon name--Eliza. While I've seen it about in movies and such, I've never met anyone else by that name. And at my summer camp, all of the staff have names taken from birds. They aren't their real names, but I think of them as their real names because that's all I ever call them. There's Wally (these are all women, by the way), Merlin, Kit, Soma, Tigger, Ducky, Mot-Mot, and many more.
Elbereth339
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 11:17
Hey, Meri, my middle name is Eliza! Well, I have a friend who's boyfriend is named Hill. That's all I can think of.
snoopy_hobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 12:24
I remember a few months ago during Latin class we randomly started to talk about odd names that we had heard of. Two that I remember someone bringing up the name Stovepipe. Other than that, I cannot think of any other names right now.
Lómiothiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 08:17
I don't know many weirdd or odd names, but if I was to be a boy my name would have been Phinley Douglas, which sounds really old! Yeah but thats the only one I really know.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2004 06:15
I don't know anybody with an odd name. I do like the name Kit...he's a Star Wars charcter. I think a weird name is Phileas.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: October 30, 2004 06:33
I had a classmate named Marco Polo after the explorer. That was his actual full name.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
faramirsmyman
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 04:33
well, i can think of a couple. one of my friend's name is steve bon ku. which really isn't funny 'cept a lot of people think bon ku is his last name and that just sounds really funny. another one is one of my mom's teacher friends thought a girl one time who's name was shithead pronounced shi-the-ad. hee hee. that one cracks me up every time. poor girl.
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 04:37
My husband - before he was my husband- told me there was an Ima Hogg and a Ura Hogg in his hometown. I didn't believe him. I looked in the phone book on the first visit to meet the parents...and there they were.
I think I read about them in a book of strange facts.
There's a girl whose full name is pronounced close to "answer" in my school, and a "Christmas" in my first grade. And someone in my church told me of a friend of his with a name that sounds pretty profane when said quickly...
outlawgirl09
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 10:55
Oooh, fun. I work part time at a mailing company. It is so fun to read the names. Here are a few.

Williamette

Kiddo(full name, lol)

Crystal Stone

Alonzo(my brother)

That is all I can think of at the moment. I know more.
VilyaTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 11:22
The lead singer of my favorite band is named Rivers and his brother's name is Leaves. Isn't that odd? I can't think of any more, though.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 02:55
My sister's nick name is Mar . Her real name is Mary .

A friend of mine named there Daughter, Sky. I think it's very Petty .

New someone who's last name was Jellasaid :rolling:.
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 08:24
from my family the ones I can think of right now are:
Uncle Grady (gray-dee)
Aunt Johnsie
Sheree (sure-ree)
Candy (full name)
Janice (jah-niece, not jan-is) - Candy and her mom's middle name
Aunt Bondelia (though it's said Bon-dee-lee)
I was almost named:
Fallon Faith
Sigourney
Shanree Lynnleah
And if my mom could still have kids, I would have a lil sis named:
Willow Brooke Meadows
that sounds like an old folks home!

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email