Register

Author Topic:
Scatha
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Most boring Scene
on: August 31, 2004 06:49
some boring scenes:

When in TTT EE when Saruman is talking to the fat orc about where they are going to get more wood

When "Mama" puts Freda and Eothain on the horse

When Elrond and Gandalf talk in Rivendell(except that Legolas comes!!!)

When Gandalf reads the scrolls in Minas Tirith(FOTR) :yawn: :yawn:

I would just like to point out that NOT A BLOODY ONE of those scenes were longer than 15-20 seconds.

Such imapient people on these boards, too eager to see Legolas doing is bow thing or something. I would have personaly bribed PJ to cut Lego entirely.
legolasrules1
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 07:16
I find all the scenes with Arwen VERY boring! And pointless. My dad doesn't like them either. Also I thought the Gandalf/Saruman at Isengard scene was pretty boring.

I used to think the whole Treebeard thing was boring, but not anymore. I mean, how can you be bored when sexy little Pippin is there? And it was so cute when he fell asleep in the TT EE while Treebeard was 'singing'.
Mearasiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2004 02:23
I can honestly say that I have never been bored wathcing LOTR no matter how many times I see it. It all ROCKS!!!!!:love:
Melmë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2004 03:18
I don't find any of the scenes boring I like the whole trilogy yust as it is except for the scenes in FotR and RotK where Frodo wakes up and they start jumping around Those scenes really irritate me
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 05:15
The cavetroll fight scene in FOTR is THE most boring scene. I always have to press fastforward. And the Great River/battle at Amon Hen part seems to drag on. Frodo and Sam and bilbo etc in Rivendell before Gandalf and Elrond have their talk.
In TTT, the part with Eothain and Freda and the horse. *yawn*
ah_its_a_weed
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 08:11
i have to say that, for me, the most boring things are the prologues in the last two movies. it was interesting the first time, but now i always end up fast forwarding through them. but, other than that, i think that everything is either needed for you to understand the movie better, or just adds more details.
Catriona
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 06:25
Okay...I really love these movies...but some scenes I just have to skip through.

FOTR: none. Arwen doesn't tick me off yet. I have this sick fascination with watching the Uruks get "born." So shoot me

TTT: Freda and Eothain. They are never mentioned again. And how the heck did their mother survive?? All Arwen scenes need to go too. She's handled much better in the book.

ROTK: Every little blackout at the end. All Arwen scenes, well, except for the very end, and where she's finally standing up to Elrond. But other than that, when she's back to being a weakling....needs to go.

But really, I adore these movies.

[Edited on 9/3/2004 by Nienna-of-the-Valar]
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 02, 2004 10:49
Seems that this is going to be another Arwen-bashing again.
All Arwen scenes need to go too. She's handled much better in the book.
Would you prefer a complete appendix to be turned on screen, instead of those flashbacks and "telepathic" scenes? Fine to me, it would not bore me at all.

the prologues are fun. They help the audience to show that there is much more depth in the books than any movie could show. It adds little attentions for those who read the books. Just like several other details throughout the movies.

Although I do not really like the reuniting scene in the Houses of Healing, the wake-up scene in the House of Elrond is much better, and perhaps more true to the book. Frodo woke up in Rivendell, Sam did grab his hand and Gandalf spoke the lines, the scene in total is not that long. So no, that scene did not bug me at all.
NeatNicki
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 10:27
I'm late in adding. But I agree that the ROTK opening was a total snoozer-ville. :sleepy: Everyone knows how Gollum got that way (bi-polar/obsessed/traumatised). It's very nice that the story Gandalf told about Gollum at the Council in the books got incorporated into the film, but really, really UNnecessary to be shown in the theatrical edition. Save it for the EE & put back in Saruman! grrrr. Dragged out.

Sam's speech at the end of TTT :yawn: Let's just ruin the ending for people who don't know, shall we, and Tell instead of Show?

The Last Debate. Zzzz. Why was this written so poorly? Cpt Obvious strikes again. Boring. Where were the rest of those involved in the Debate? It can't just be up to the Three Heroes, Gandalf and Eomer... C'mon.

Treebeards' scenes. Could've been done better, tho the end result was the same.

The scenes with Frodo/Sam/Gollum, and then those three with Faramir in the TTT:TE. The EE was much much much better.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 11:49
The credits. Sorry, but that was the ONLY boring part of the movies, if that!( the music was very good). Maybe I shouldn't have come...
tar_hazelton
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 02:53
Especially the official fan club credits. I rarely watch those.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2004 08:48
yeah Eruantalince ive always wanted to see the Tale of A/A made into a separate film so thatd be fine for me too!!!!

anyway...to me the films are great just i dont like it when Treebeard comes between all the battle scenes...i soo love Helms Deep battle and seeing the Ent always gets me nervous!!!and all of his dont be hasty....grrr!!anyways!!!and in ROTK some of the Sam/Frodo scenes tend to go a bit slow but hey, they are supposed to be the main characters so why am i complaining??!!as for the rest, the three films are great!(aw and btw Arwen's scenes must be 20 mins long in the 3 films put together so pls stop it here with all the bashing!)
atheniel_
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 01:17
Honestly I've never found much of any of the three movies boring at all. I just watch em over and over again...(yes all of it!) *sighs*. Well, I suppose my least favorite bit in all three movies is the fighting scene with Gandalf and Saruman in FotR, but that's about it. Oh, and sometimes the fan credits. Overall, I've watched them once.
Although I do not really like the reuniting scene in the Houses of Healing, the wake-up scene in the House of Elrond is much better, and perhaps more true to the book.

:O The reuniting scene in RotK was one of my favorites! And actually, it was quite true to the book, as I think that scene was actually in Ithilien, and not in the Houses of Healing cos of the music that plays. I could be wrong.
BetonyTook
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 06:37
Hm, I don't know.

The Arwen stuff in TTT moves my finger to the fast forward button sometimes. :/

anyway...to me the films are great just i dont like it when Treebeard comes between all the battle scenes...i soo love Helms Deep battle and seeing the Ent always gets me nervous!!!and all of his dont be hasty....grrr!!

I always love those interruptions, 'cos where there's Treebeard there's Merry and Pippin and actually Helm's Deep can get a little dull for me. Also the scene right at the end of TTTEE with Faramir saying goodbye to Frodo, I find that quite boring, though I'm not sure why. ._o
~Arwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2004 09:29
I dont consider any scene to be boring, but yes, SLOW, treebeard is annoying, haha! and also,the scene in which Boromir dies (FOTR) was WAY too slow
whitestorm
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 01:36
I thought the Treebeard scenes were slightly boring, because they are soooooo ssssslllloooowwww :yawn: ... oh well, ents are supposed to be like that. Otherwise, there are no boring parts!
Moonwalker
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2004 08:19
The Two Towers scenes with Arwen.

I agree. *yawn*
Rochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2004 08:22
I absolutely love the films too and I feel bad listing the scenes I found boring, but here it goes (listed in order of most boring to least).....

1) The last 10 minutes of ROTK. It should’ve been those scenes saved for the EE DVD. I would’ve preferred the scenes from the House of Healing and Faramir & Eowyn over those final scenes that dragged.

2) Merry, Peppin & Treebeard scenes in TTT (I see I’m not alone with this one)

3) The mushy love scenes with Arwen and Aragorn (LOTR & TTT)

4) In LOTR, it dragged when the Fellowship ran into Haldir until they left Lothlorien in the boats (with the exception of the Boromir and Aragorn scene in Lothlorien). It was probably to give us a breathier from the action in Moria until the Uruk-Hai attack.

MablungArnatuilë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2004 12:07
nothing is boring, except my butt gets a little ache frm watching two towers extended edition
silver_stream
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2004 11:31
Isn't it strange how the most important bits are the boring ones...like Frodo and Sam...or maybe I've just seen them a bit too many times...the first time I saw ROTK I was mesmerised all throughout it, but after seeing bits of it every now and then the battle scenes and the siege of Gondor were getting tedious and also the Frodo/Sam/Gollum parts...

But what I never get sick of is the ending... always original since you can watch it from different points of view...
briseis_orqu_apollo
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2004 12:33
I actually thought TTT wasn't boring at all...
I saw it on small screen so I think the soppy themes and scenes are perfect for a lazy day on the couch!
ROTK was GREAT in the movies, but once it got to DVD, the battle of Minas Tirith, the Sam and Frodo scenes etc. got REALLY TEDIOUS!!! It's really annoying when you leave Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli with the KOTD and you don't see them until some very cool green things get into it and start to kick some butt! In that space there aren't that many things happening yet it takes SO long.
neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2004 03:21
I have to agree with all who have said that the Arwen scenes in TTT were the most boring... I know why they put them, but still, they are soooooo boring, really..
galadriel_evenstar_idril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 10:12
Don't you just hate it in TTT when its Helm's Deep (v. exciting stuff) and right in the middle of it, PJ cuts to Treebeard and the hobbits!?!?!!?!? AGGRAVATING, no offence but I think Treebeard can wait till later...much later (after all, he's the one who doesn't llike being hasty...)
galadriel_evenstar_idril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 10:14
Oh, I just realised, what I said before has been repeated like over a hundred times...sorry...
kingslady
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2004 07:34
I don't think that any of the movies are boring, but there is one scene that I usually skip over (after seeing the DVD 20 or more times) and that is the beginning of ROTK. I am glad it is in the movie (it explained a lot since I had not read the books yet when I saw it).
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 06:42
I think that the whole Treebeard sequence was boring. I also thought that the speech and Rohirrim sequence in the beginning of ROTK was boring.
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2004 03:17
Not that they are necessarily boring, but I have a couple parts that I have just seen to many times.

1) In FOTR when Gandalf and Saruman fight in Orthanc.

2) In TTT when Faramir wakes up Frodo and shows him Gollum swimming in the Forbidden Pool.
Elven_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2004 09:56
After watching it the first time.. whenever its scenes of Sam and Frodo i would just fastforward.. seems so boringg going on and on and on just like in the book... endless!
ArienMaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2004 12:18
Ok, after reading most replies (sorry, some where kinda dragging), I almost saw the whole 3 movies being boring!!
I like everything, the battle scenes for me were pretty exciting, but I guess I'm a weirdo for thinking that, I don't know :dizzy:
i_am_the_precious
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 09:11
how can u guys even think about any of the movies having boring scenes???!!!!! go grovel to pj NOW!!
Nimmirvain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 12:08
I love these movies in total, but there are a few irritating and somewhat boring things for me:

1. Arwen - not a bash on the character, because I don't want to add to that, but a mild bash on the creation of the character. When I read the books before the movies came out, Arwen was a completely different person with a different personality in my mind, than she was portrayed in the movies. She struck me as an incredibly strong, somewhat steely and "untouchable" elf in the books, and to see her being a bit of a weak woman with difficulties making up her mind in the movies irritated me and made me just not enjoy the scenes with her at all.

2. The waking up scenes are a yawn for me too, although I do think there needed to be breaks in the action like these ones and the scenes with Treebeard so we didn't all overload on adrenaline.

3. The blackouts at the end were entirely needless and annoying, and I felt like Peter Jackson was just playing childish pranks on us by putting those in and making everyone in the theater continuously start to clap and get up whenever any of them hit, thinking it really was the end. I could feel everyone's irritation and actual relief that it was finally over when the credits rolled. What director would want his audience to be glad that his movie was over?

4. Most of the walking parts bored me (i.e. Sam and Frodo in the Emyn Muil), although most of the dialogue in these parts was interesting and enjoyable enough for me to not skip to the next scene.

In summary, I too think that the movies would have been just as good, if not better, had the Arwen portions been left out, although I understand that their relationship was put in for those in the audience who like a good love story, and I also understand the why the slower scenes were added. After all, this is not my movie, and Peter Jackson and his crew had every right to craft it however they wanted. At least they always kept the Tolkien fans at the forefront of their minds while creating these awesome movies, and tried the best they could to please us as much as was possible.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 12:37
Too bad that the previous post became another Arwen-bashing thing. Because she was not changed that much. She has got a whole (!) appendix in the books, "A part of the tale of Aragorn and Arwen", an important story and perfectly weaved into the main story (and not only for those who like lovestories).

And strength is not always to be seen in physical strength, but it can mean mental strength too. It takes courage and strength you see, to basically give up your life for the one you love, while your whole family is leaving and your lover is fighting somewhere else for a good cause.
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 02:04
I agree with you 100% Eruantalincë. So many people throughout LOTR forums pick on Liv and Arwen, it makes me feel so sad :sob:. Aragorn and Arwen are vital to the tale of LOTR. Perhaps it is because Professor Tolkien wrote their story in the appendices of the books, rather than the main pages. Either way I think PJ and the co-writers were right to include them in the Films, it gave added depth imo. Arwen did indeed have great inner strength and I believe it was right for her to be honoured and portrayed in the movies.

Go Arwen! :love:
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 02:11
Threads like these are entirely opinion based and if we cannot all be respectful of everyone else's opinions, then all threads like these will be closed. Simple as that.

I disagree, kindly , that Nimmirvain's post turned into Arwen bashing, and frankly I agree with what he/she said. The whole character of Arwen was altered for the movies. She is indecisive, she is not the silent strength that she was in the books, her fate is umm tied to the fate of the Ring *blink*.

If she had been as Eruantalincë says, mentally strong, showing her strength simply in giving up her immortality for the man she loves, I would have appreciated her character in the movies far more.

Instead, I find her to be more like Nimmirvain said. She is doing things she should not do, in places she should not be, and is acting all confused, almost leaving ME, whining, almost dying...all of those things are not right to me if you are thinking solely of the character we see in the books, and yes I mean the appendices as well.

Regardless, we do have other threads discussing the changes in Arwen, I just wanted to point out that it is a good idea to read other people's posts carefully and not jump all over anyone if you disagree with them. We are all entitled to our opinion and to be able to share them if we wish.

Me? I often want to snooze during all Treebeard parts and, I hate to say it, many parts where there are just Frodo, Sam, and Gollum, but that's just me
EldarChild
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 04:24
The only scene(s) that bored me were the FOTR with Saruman and Gandalf...seriously I wanted to laugh. Until Gandalf flew into the roof, then I flinched.

But really we all could have done without breakdancing wizards
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email