Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
ithillinde
Creator of Reality
Send Message
Post RE: Fan Fiction Help
on: July 20, 2005 02:14
I don't see where that would be a problem. I mean if the person asking for help was clear that their fic wasn't LoTR and someone wanted to help them out and didn't mind that it wasn't LoTR related, I don't see a problem with people helping fellow writers. Go for arwen and see if you can find someone to help you out.
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 21, 2005 06:05
Okay thanks you guys. I thought that I had better ask first rather than just jump straight in. Well I am writing a fan fic and actually the first few chapters are published here:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2419335/1/

It is actually a fan fiction of the movie Van Helsing which starred Hugh Jackman and Kate Beckinsale. In my story Van Helsing is, for those of you who don't know, a 'monster' hunter and he goes on these missions to save people from monsters like werewolves, vampires, Mr Hyde. etc. In my story the Order has called upon him again to go on another mission.

But the problem is I am not sure what 'monster' he should be facing. In the movie he faces the Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster and Mr Hyde but I wish to write about him fighting another creature. The problem is that I have researched it on the Internet but I cannot seem to find a suitable monster/creature/thing. At first I thought of a human sorcerer but umm its hard to explain... but I just don't think that I could write him fighting a human. I mean even when fighting vampires there is something about them which makes them slightly 'non-human' if you understand what I mean. There is just something about them that...

Well I hope there is somebody out there who has any ideas for candidates for Van Helsing to fight. My story has really come to a stand still because I cannot think of this. I cannot write another chapter without putting this in. I hope someone (whether it be Van Helsing fan or just someone who is good at researching monsters?) can help me. As I said before I would be ever so greatful to those of you who can.

Namarie,
~Arwen
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: July 21, 2005 06:21
Here's a random idea: How about having stone gargoyles (the kind that are carved on cathedral waterspouts) coming to life? It'll give you some room for creativity.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
DaughterofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2005 06:43
that is such a cool idea, Linwe! Sorry, just had to comment.
Soulbound: Book 1 in the Song of Souls trilogy, http://tiny.cc/TheAdventureBegins
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 23, 2005 01:26
Thanks, I might try that idea out. I don't know whether it will work but I could give it a shot. Incidently, where did you come up with that idea? I was just wondering, was it kinda random or??? Anyway thanks I will let you know how it goes with my story!

Namarie,
~Arwen
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: July 23, 2005 06:34
Well...after reading your post, images of gargoyles just popped into my head. Having seen the movie, it just seemed to fit. Good luck with your story whatever you decide to do!
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 04:16
Okay, I really need some help with this, and I'm hoping that someone here will have an idea... I'm working on a bunch of LotR fics, and one of them is... gosh this is gonna sound weird... Boromir and Faramir's story, merged with the Japanese folktale "The fox, the monk and the Mikado of All-Night's Dreaming." If there are any Sandman/Neil Gaiman fans here, that is the story that he based "The Dream Hunters" off of. I have figured out how to work most of the merging, so that it is still reasonably canonical while retaining the themes and feel of the folktale... but what in Middle-earth can I use as Baku? For those who aren't familiar with it, the baku were mythical beasts, resembling a tapir, that could be called upon to eat a nightmare that a person had, keeping the bad thing in the dream away from them and giving them good fortune. Am I stuck with leaving a Japanese legendary creature in Middle-earth, or can I invent something, or is there anything suitable already in canon that could fit that purpose? (I'm already using a Vala and a couple of Maiar for other things, and it couldn't be a baddie... well, I suppose maybe, if there is one that fits the bill...) Or have I just got a screw loose in even attempting this?
Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it muchly!
LinweSingollo
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 04:44
Well, it's possible that you have a screw loose, but that might be helpful for a writer. *lol*

I can't think of anything in Tolkien's legendarium that is an exact correlation of what you're looking for. You could possibly use Mewlips --- a race of cannibal spirits that live in marshlands of Middle-earth. They're supposed to be evil, though. Or better yet...Dúlin --- "night-singers" or better known as the nightingale....

Just throwing ideas out there. Ignore them at will...
Your fic plot sounds very interesting.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 04:05
Ok, I just got an idea for a fanfic. I want to post it here if I can ever get it down on paper, but the trouble is it's a Mary-Sue fic, and you're technically not allowed to post MS fics here. BUT, it has nothing to do with MS's joining the Fellowship. It's more than that: there is a MS army, and they want to completely control Middle-earth. So all of them invade Minas Tirith, where Frodo and Sam have just finished killing Sauron. The Sues kidnap Legolas, Frodo and Aragorn (who was just 5 minutes away from being crowned King), and take them to their HQ in the abandoned Mount Gundabad. Their loyal friends, led by Elrond, plan a daring escape for the three prisoners. But the Sues are practically invincible! So the brave rescuers must turn to the unlikeliest source for aid... the DARK SIDE!!! But can the defeated evil wizard Saruman help the forces of good?

Please send feedback.... and please confirm whether or not it would be allowed on the site. Would it make a good story? Should I make it a roundrobin, so anyone can add their ideas??
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Aarynne_Lalaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 05:34
Okay, wow....I have a problem...a big one, with my fanfic. There are a lot of things I want to change, and a lot of things that if some people read it, would completely offend them, because of certain elements it has to it.

It will take me some time to explain it all, so would it be better if someone pm-ed me about it? Just wondering, I appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks,
Ryn
Aarynne_Lalaith
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2005 05:47
Oh, and DaughterofNimrodel THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! For you comments about Legolas' predjudices...I've felt that way for as long as I've liked him! I mean, yes, I think he's handsome, even though, in truth, I think Orlando Bloom is better looking in his other movies, but I love Legolas's character, his loyalty, and like you said, his mysterious quality that leaves room for our own creativity! But anyway, thanks!

Ryn
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 06:27
I am writing a fanfic based on "The Birds" and I'm not sure how it should end. Any help would be nice!
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2005 06:32
Oh, and if you want me to get you're reply as soon as you post it I need you to PM me. Thank you!

It's okay to post it here, too.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 05:30
I’m trying to create a race of people that could have, in theory, existed in Middle-earth at one time. They are called Valkyries.

Um, just an observation, lady_of_the_ring... Valkyries already exist in mythology. They had something to do with Norse beliefs about the end of the world. Sorry to burst your bubble... just wanted to clear that up.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 07:29

Frankly, Tolkien left alot of room for character development when it comes to Legolas. I realize there are many people who write about him due to his looks, but there are some, (yes, I would fit this category) that write about him because when they read the books they found him to be interesting and mysterious.

Legolas is good to write about because as you say Tolkein didn't realy develop his character that much. In any fics I start writing he usually teases or is being teased by Aragorn - sometimes they get quite annoyed with each other no-one can tell me this is wrong because it doesn't say anywhere in the books that they didn't have that kind of relationship at times. I find Legolas quite easy to write - it's almos as if he is sitting on my shoulder giving me the words - I wish!

Regards

HT

curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2005 11:25
I need help on a fanfic I want to write. It's Lord of the Rings, only set in the modern world. Details presented problems, and now I have four important questions to answer. If someone helps me, I'll post a tip for writing a good fanfiction.
1) Who should Sauron and his Nazgul be?
2) Who should the goblins and the Balrog be?
3) I need countries that could be the following: Rohan, Gondor, Isengard, and Mordor. You can't use America.
4) Who should Gollum be?
Thank you for your help and advice!
LarienElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 06:31
I have read many LOTR fanfics & they all go over the same ideas, most of them about things we already know alot about.
So I have decide to write a fanfic about some thing original, that was only given a small amount of description, the Haradrim.
The idea came from a line Faramir said in EE TTT, that may be these guys were not all evil. Any way the story so far is about two or three Haradrim soldiers & there lives before, during & after The War Of The Ring.
But I have got a bit of a writer's block, these are a few questions I have: what sort of an environment would they have lived in? Which culture in our world were they most like? How civilised were they? What will the characters names be? (this really depends on the culture they are most like).

As you can see it is only an idea so far but if any one can help me it would be much appreciated.
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 02:01
The Haradrim live in Near Harad, a hot, dry desert. The people were viewed by the Gondorians and the Rohirrim as uncivilized. They lived a nomadic life, wandering the deserts of Near Harad finding food and water. They were ruled by many different kings, and sometimes fought each other over the water. Theirs is a hard life, which might have lead to the alliance with Sauron. They were not very "civilized" as you put it, they were very primitive and they hated any of the "cowards of the north" just as the men of the west hated them.

Names are no one's job but the authors, in my opinion! I look forward to reading your fanfiction!
LarienElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 05:49
Thank you so much, that will help alot!
elenlhach
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2005 06:25
hey all,
curunir_the_wise, how about Australia for Rohan (we can see my prejudices showing) ? it's empty, and, i don't know, there's something about it that says...horses...empty...not green at the moment...and we can go back into history, for example, the light horse brigade (there's a really good poem that's on the tip of my tongue...shcoking how i can't remember it...well-known poet...ech, it'll come.)
other than that, i have no idea.
sorry i couldn't be more help,
elenlhach
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 02:57
Wow. You are quite creative, elenlhach! I had not thought about Australia for Rohan. That's a good idea...
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 08:43
Oh, and here's my writing tip...
If you have the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, it's a good idea to play a song from them to set the mood for yourself. I use this a lot and it helps me to set a proper mood.

Thanks to all who answered and will answer! Thank you!
LarienElendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2005 10:10
I have completed the first chapter, I will let you know when the story is finished.
Frodo_Harrypotter
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 11:06
hi everyone

I am currently writing a Lotr Hp crossover. The Story is called Harry Potter and the New Alliance.

Summery: Yet another HP/LOTR crossover. Harry, Ron and Hermione return to Hogwarts for their 6th year. Harry is still depressed over Sirius’s death. Who is the DADA teacher? Who is this mysterious Strider and what connection does he have with Sirius? And why is Draco Malfoy acting so strange? WARNING OOTP SPOILERS! (If you have not read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix you will not understand the story)

Gandalf receives a call from Dumbledore in form of a vision. The Fellowship is at first very reluctant to help, but when they hear of the destruction Voldemord has caused, they agree to come.

Dumbledore sends Harry an amulet.It will glow blue when danger is near. The amulet was made in Gondolin and handed down as an heirloom though generations until it came to Dumbledore

Now my problem is that i don't want this to be another pointless "The Fellowship comes to Hogwarts story" I want to stay as close to canon as possible. I know both fandoms very well. I started to learn Sindarin.

My problem is that Westron is not like English. How will the Tolkien characters understand Harry and his friends.They also speak differently.

Another problem is that Harry and his friends use elementary magic, while the Magic in Middle Earth is accessed through song, and only through years of training.

I want to stay as close to canon as possible. Because i love both Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings i wan the two fandoms to stay the way they are. There are already enough Leggy goes to Hogwarts fics out there ( No offense to anyone )

What can i do. What should i avoid? Please tell me I am always open for suggestions.

any ideas. Then please post them here. I am alway thankful for your suggestions and help

yours frodo_Harrypotter :feedback:

[Edited on 10/11/2005 by Frodo_Harrypotter]

[Edited on 11/11/2005 by Goldsand]
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 11:08
Above post moved from main CF to this thread ..
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2005 04:09
Here's my plan for you story, Frodo_Harrypotter.

1) Tolkien's common speech is generally thought of as English. In most crossovers, Tolkien's charactor's understand the other charactors due to the fact they all speak english. Wether or not the common speech is actually english remains in debate.

2) Okay, there's really no point in trying to mix up the magic. Just have the HP characters and the Lotr characters use their own forms of magic and keep it at that.

Hope this helps. If not, I just wasted a good five minutes pondering your question. :killcomp:

~Curunir
curunir_the_wise
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2005 01:31
Yeah...I have a question about the fanfiction section rules.

I read somewhere that fanfiction.net requires you to have 51% of a story in it to be accepted into that catagory. I'm writing a crossover that's about a 50/50 split. Are your rules anything like their's, meaning if I submit it, will it be rejected on the terms it didn't use enough Lotr?
Nuriathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 09:51
Hi!!!! I'm new to the site and have just recently uploaded my story to the council, lol. I know it needs to be approved and all and am just waiting for them to say yes or no.

So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading a story where one of the main characters is Haldir. I noticed they did not have a subdivision on the list of characters for him, so I got a bit worried.

I'm hoping that I can get some good replies here letting me know what you guys think!!! I'm trying to avoid mary-sue's so constructive criticism is welcome, as well as coming up with some more original elven names than the one's I've already picked....kinda shaky.....hehehehehe.......:love:

I'll post the ff.net address if anyone wants to read early!!! Just let me know if you do!!!!
angels
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2006 08:03
Hi, I have a couple of questions for you guys. Okay, 1, Im creating my own world kind of like forgotten realms and lotr (no similarties, just using it as an example) I have all the races i want, but the biggest situation is how do i form a history, or timeline for each race. How should i solely describe a race? What is a must to know about?

Also, i wouldnt mind asking people to join me and help me out on this conquest if they wish. Just email me at [email protected]

Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2006 06:14
Hi, I have a couple of questions for you guys. Okay, 1, Im creating my own world kind of like forgotten realms and lotr (no similarties, just using it as an example) I have all the races i want, but the biggest situation is how do i form a history, or timeline for each race. How should i solely describe a race? What is a must to know about?

Also, i wouldnt mind asking people to join me and help me out on this conquest if they wish. Just email me at [email protected]

alrighty...I'm assuming this is an orignal story?

I have created my own races in the past...and here's a few things that I would recomend trying to answer to discover the hsitory of a race

Who are the heros of the past that children (and adults) of this race look up to?

What did these heros accomplish?

For me at least...once you start creating war heros of the past...the wars that they fought in kinda just falls into place...as does the rest of the history.

Also try to look at their location. Where do they live? Have they always lived there? ect.

Hope this helped
Nuriathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 05:57
Hey, I've been reworking my story and was wondering if anyone would be interested in reading being a Beta. I've been reworking it since I tried to post it last time on the Council, and would love it if I got some opinions regarding whether it would be good enough to post on the site.

I've changed the plot a bit since then, and also have decided to increase the role of other characters, and lessening that of my character. She is pretty much an observer. But, I would love to know what you guys think, none-the-less!!!!!

Here's the link to ff.net, so I don't waste time posting on here

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2721576/1/

I need some feedback, so I know where to take the story!!!!
KDHig84
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 11:52
I love reading fanfics and have decided to try writing one. I've been doing some research, trying to find a topic that interests me and my problem is that I have an idea, but need someone to bounce it off of.

Since I haven't seen anything about who Frodo (Sam's son) married, I want to create a character and connect them with young Frodo. Maybe they could have some sort of big adventure together, like going to Rivendell to see what happened to it after the elves left.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Kitty
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
on: March 06, 2006 11:56
Above post moved from main Fan Fiction forum to this thread ... good luck with your writing
Rebecca_C
CoE Volunteer & Weeper of Nienna
Send Message
on: March 07, 2006 02:53
You need the female character first. And a copy of LotR or RotK with the appendicies (sp?) in it. Or at least I always use that to help with the timeline. Pick a year and start from there.
I think the idea of visiting Rivendell is good. I'm not sure how many of the elves stayed there, only a few, I think. Large parts of it would have changed a lot. I don't think it would be ruined by the passing of the elves, but by the destruction of the Ring. From what I know Rivendell was built and maintained by the ring Elrond wore. So an interesting piece of description would be the juxtaposition of ruins and perfectly preserved/unchanged buildings.
From there, maybe Frodo and his girl could find something in the ruins that prompts them to go somewhere or do something. Possibly something connected to the time of Bilbo or older Frodo. But if you don't think that's a good idea there's plenty of room for adventure between the Shire and Rivendell, especially after Bree.
I'd better stop before I go off in a direction you don't want. I hope this helps you rather than annoys you and gets in the way!
Newra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 08, 2006 12:34
Hey all- this is a technical Q about fanfics. It's been forever since I've submitted one, and just put up the first chapter of my latest.

As far as putting things in italics (as there is no "italics" button) what code do I type in around the word I want to put in italics? every time I try the < i > thing, the word in question and the ENTIRE REST of the story also goes slanted. This bugs me.

I'm sure somebody can help me! :feedback:

~Newra

[Edited on 8/4/2006 by Newra]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email