Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
Post It all began at the White City Fair....(for those already established in our thread)
on: June 26, 2004 12:30
Ok, I have a thought for this thread to keep it going and keep our characters as we’ve developed them, while dealing, in a ‘round about manner, with the disappearance of our dear Galcora. (Let me just say that Butter Pecan ice cream is wonderful for the creativity of a stagnant mind…)

Lets hop things forward a bit. Say 10 to 15 years. I can hear you all now…why on earth? Or What the heck for? Ho ho!…read on…. I drafted something similar out a few years ago and with as creative a lot as we are, I do not see any reason why we can’t do something similar if everyone agrees. If not, I’m ok with that too and I only offer this as a suggestion to make things simpler (possibly) in a complicated sort of way. And as a disclaimer, I’m not wanting to control anyone’s characters…I write these only for example.

Our happy little foursome has separated in the future, each having gone off to live their own lives. Yes, even Paldor and Ilmare. Each go about their lives, but they are often seen as reflective, thinking back over times past. Something had happened at some point, but their minds just couldn’t grasp it. Like holding onto a slippery eel, their minds are easily diverted to other thoughts when they try to concentrate on certain events of the past.

Paldor will likely carry the scars on his cheek from the Uruk that hit him while he was captive, for the rest of his life, but he only remembers receiving them when he was knocked unconscious in a battle that he was lucky enough to have survived. And yet every morning when he wakes he looks at his solitary life and the bed he sleeps in alone and knows that something…someone is missing. This is not how he had hoped it would be. And who was the beauty that spoke soft elvish to him in his dreams? (Ilmare)

Ilmare returned to her father, a serious girl now, also feeling as if ….someone…were missing from her life.

Tirgoth, returns to the forge, but plagued by dreams of the face of a girl he knew in his youth. But why did she haunt his dreams? They had not seen one another in years. What had happened to her?

Zie, still denying her elvish ancestry, returns to the land of her adoptive family in the southern continent to prove to her people that women can be more than what they were.

But what happened? What was it that changed? In their memories, none can seem to pinpoint the exact time when things seemed different. They remembered their friends and the strange woman that they had met on their travels, but only as shadows of the past as each has drifted apart and away. Each remembers some events, but their memories seemed incomplete. But, each can remember the peaceful and happy times that existed under the rule of King Elessar.

But things were not so happy and peaceful anymore. The king and his elven queen were dead and their only son is too young, barely 7(or whatever), to take the throne. So, a steward is set in his place until he comes of age…if he comes of age. But not Lord Faramir, the rightful steward. No, this one seemed to have come from nowhere and the boy king calls him uncle. But then why had Lord Faramir and his family gone into hiding? Where were they? And why did no one do anything about the Orc’s and Uruk-hai that still seemed to plague the lands? Isn’t it odd when one of the surrounding provinces angers the Stewart, their lands fall under attack, while the “white” city seems to be shadowed with shades of gray.

So…One of our group….I suggest Tirgoth since he is the thread owner….can no longer stand the unanswered questions he woke up with each morning. He closes up, or leaves his business and home and sets out to find these forgotten friends. The level of how much was forgotten about whom or what events of their travels, would of course be up to each individual. It would be interesting if some remembered more than others. If Paldor and Tirgoth both still reside in the White City, then their meeting up again should be a relatively easy thing.

What I purpose may give our little band a definite direction and mission. To find out what happened and who caused the changes to take place. Had a secret, elaborate political coup taken place? What did the new Stewart of Gondor have to do with it? Perhaps this has more intrigue than battle time…but we can work fighting into it as well. We are a good writing group and I hate to loose that or the characters we have all developed together.

This can be started as a new thread or worked up to in the current one. If, hopefully, Galcora returns to our story, then the missing parts can be taken up in “flashback” mode, so to speak ,and worked towards our new beginning then pick up once everyone seems to remember to work toward a conclusion. It’s a broken up sort of way to do something, but…why not?

If she does not return (heaven forbid) then perhaps the group will remember what happened to her. Paldor may remember his sister returning with him after the “changing time” and had left again at some point to never return, or perhaps to marry and settle somewhere. Remembering tasks that a character owner did not actually create, can be called “controlling” (I don’t think) if we leave it vague enough. Though we will all mourn Tirgoth’s broken heart and lost love. Admittedly, this will throw a level of mysticism into our RP that wasn’t there before, but lets all remember the talents of Gandalf. He was truly a strange fellow when he wanted to be.

These are just thoughts and ideas I put on the table for consideration. We can still work with our current thread and work into something else if things become too awkward. Let me know what you think or tell me you hate it and that I'm a loser for thinking up such drivel. I can take any critiscm, not to worry.

*Waiting with baited breath*. :feedback:

[Edited on 26/6/2004 by Leighlia]
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: It all began at the White City Fair....(for those already established in our thread)
on: June 26, 2004 02:29
Hey sounds very good! I don't mind at all that you set up an OOC. This idea might take quite a bit of consideration. In fact, i almost htink that with that level of complexity, we would have to have frequent OOC discussions...not so much scripting as bouncing off ideas.

For example, i think it would be cool (drawing off of your idea, Leighlia, of having different degrees of memory) If, say, Tirgoth vaguely remembers Ilmare, and Paldor vaguely remembers Galcora... something like that seems cool to me, but its just an idea.

My reservatioin is that it would get a little to complex to be completely covered from the point of view of the characters, but that can be solved by more OOC.

If all the rest of you dont mind a little more in-depth, mysterious RP, then I am game. Hurray for Leighlia!! This is the first time since Elrin dissapeared that I have acrtually felt hopeful about this thread!!!

I've always wanted to do a thread with a little more plot.

Edit: My one suggestion is that it not be 10-15 years, but more like 5-10. I know its a little ridiculous to say that things have changed so much in that short of time, but when you think about it 35 years is OLD for middle earth; llife expectancy in medieval europe was 40 years. It doesnt matter a whole lot, we could just pretend to be healthy healthy 35 year olds i guess, but those are my thoughts.

[Edited on 27/6/2004 by Caegaraneva]

[Edited on 27/6/2004 by Caegaraneva]
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: It all began at the White City Fair....(for those already established in our thread)
on: June 27, 2004 11:27
Oooh...*writer's instinct kicking in* I like this a /lot/, Leighia!

Question, though...will they have seperated after their quest was completed, and simply forgotten everything, or are they to be seperated during the quest and forced to forget most of what had happened?
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 05:08
It is my thought that something happened to them shortly after Zie and Paldor and Ilmare heal up at the Inn. Don't know what, but I'm sure we can come with something. The point will be to figure out or try to remember what that something was. Did they accomplish what they set out to do? I'd say not. Why didn't they? Well, that's the mystery to be solved. And with Orc's still running amuck in the lands, I'm sure they will offer plenty of conflict for us to face.

As far as time passed, lets compromise on just shy of 7. That way the young king is still too young to take the throne and the evil Steward thing works. We may even want to work in something about trying to find the missing Faramir and family. As a side note, I've always planned on revealing the fact that Zie had served with Faramir and his rangers during the war of the ring and was part of the group that led the ring bearer back to Osgilieth(pardon my spelling), but the opportunity had never come up.

I do think that this is something that we will have to work towards in our current line that the thread is going in. In doing so we will have to work around the missing Galcora, but we can do it. I think we can do this in only a few posts each, if we skip forward over days of healing and just making passing comments about assumptions of what Galcora is doing. We could even assume that for some reason she seems reserved or even withdrawn from the rest of us. (Just reaching there...)

Forgetting will also give me a reason to get rid of the two elves I brought in, but also gives me the ability to just push them back into the reserves if necessary.

I'm glad you guys are so receptive to this idea, thanks so much for your vote of confidence. I know that we are all creative enough to make it work. I almost can't wait to hear from Gwenneth.

[Edited on 28/6/2004 by Leighlia]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 09:48
Hey guys,
Wow, Leighlia! What an amazing idea! I love it! Let's do it! By all means! I can't see how it would break any rules, and it will solve all of our problems while adding some interesting new directions to the plot. I'm all for it!
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 11:16
I almost think it would be more interesting if we abruptly started seven years from now, rather than wrapping up at all the current story line.

Then you would lose any dramatic irony, which isn't necessarily good, but gain more mysticism and slow epiphany(is that the right word?).

I might have to chew on this in my head for a day or two though...in the meantime, if anyone gets to the point where they have something to post in character, go ahead and put it up in the TR forum (although im not sure we are ready yet)
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 01:22
That's not a bad idea at all. I have already started to draft my first post for our future begining. It will be an excerpt from Zie's journal, a manuscript she began to try to remember, to try to figure things out because she can't seem to keep her thoughts straight on the subject. I was thinking something along the lines of...the last thing she can remember is lying in the Inn, healing up after the confrontation with the Orc's to rescue...someone. I thought that perhaps if(ha ha...when) she met up with Paldor again, she would remember it was him...as Caegaraneva said...an epiphany.

I'm glad you guys are receptive to this idea, my creative juices are flowing like a fountain now. The only sound my family hears from me is the soft scratch of my pen on paper as I draft....and the occational outburst of glee.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2004 06:10
*taps pen against her lip* I think that's a good idea, Caeg...makes for mystery. My thought is this: we should have one more post apiece to get everyone to a resting point, then the adrupt shift seven years forward. Excerpts from journals would be an interesting way to do it...mind if I use that idea, Leighlia?

Maybe the way Ilmare gets re-involved is her father sends a group to Minas Tirith--secretly, as the new steward has no use for the Rangers of Ithilien--to find out what's going on, and Ilmare is in the group. (Thinking out loud here...)
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 03:23
That sounds good Vanalosswen. I'm putting my ideas out on the table for any and all to use so grab them up if they are usefull to you and...make merry.

I think one or possibly even 2 more posts in our thread and we can hop forward into our new direction...but we can play that by ear since everyone already has it in mind to work towards. If no one else minds my stepping up to the plate one more time, in my "last" post before the change I may slip something in just to plant the seeds of the mysterious change...thinking out loud here too...

then again, maybe I'll leave it alone. I dunno...lets see how the weekend goes. I'm going off on a 4 day camping trip. Lots of time by the fire and in a boat to think things over.

[Edited on 29/6/2004 by Leighlia]
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 08:49
All right, I am starting to get the formings of an idea...I think it might be a good way for us to end our first journey by splitting up indviduallyt os cout and look for evience of the orcs. Each of us fails in different ways...and we all end up going back home...later something makes us mysteriously forget. Just another idea for the meld...

I like your idea of diaries Vanalosswen.

Hwo would you all like to go around and give real names? I know mine is alot easier than my elvish one....

I am Harrison, nice to meet you all.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 11:56
I'm Cathy, although to be honest, I already have a hard time keeping people's names straight. I always think of Leighlia as "Zie" lol. Ah well...It's this old brain of mine, I think. I'll try to keep up with the triple name thing, lol.
I like the idea of a "sudden" cutoff and transition to enhance the mystery. Zie, I mean Leighlia (see what I mean?)'s idea of the journal is awesome! I'll try to come up with something worthy of you guys! I love this thread so much! I feel like I haven't been pulling my own weight in it lately though...I'll work on that, I promise!
I agree about needed a couple of days to wrap my brain around all of this stuff so let's all put on our thinking caps and then come back to the thread when we're good and ready!
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 12:47
I'm glad to have met all regardless of names, but it's nice to know them. My real name is Monica Leigh (hence the name Leighlia.)

Any Lewinsky jokes are rewarded with a smack to the back of the head! Besides....I've heard them all. HA HA! Oh, I know you guys would never...

Any way. Like I said before, I'd like to wait until at least after the July holiday before moving in on this some more, with the exception of this ooc discussion as needed. By then my mind will be wrapped around, engulfed and otherwise enraptured by it.

Thanks everyone!
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2004 05:15
Hey all, I'm Tiana (that's pronounced t-Ona). My middle name is not worth speaking of. *grins*

Harrison, I think the idea of going and looking for the orcs (once they're all recovered, of course) is possibly the best 'split-up' idea I've heard (and I have heard many, thanks to my weird imagination).

Monica, I've already been thoroughly engulfed in this! My 'journal post' is almost ready to be posted, whene'er I get the word to post.

Cathy, you're doing fine, hon. We're all just throwing ideas out for everyone else to ponder.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2004 06:00
If anyone has anything to post to bring us up to speed or to start us toward the change...please...go ahead and post it.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2004 06:53
I have posted...post the harshest Kritik of my ideas that you can here, or just respond if you'd like
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 03:55
Ok…I’ve posted…it’s long, and not nearly as good as I had hoped, but there it is. I reserve all rights to edit later. Ha ha. I hope its ok with everyone that I hopped a bit further ahead, but any other posts can easily be made if everyone is not quite ready for the leap yet.

Zie’s drifting from one topic to another is intentional…mind straying from the memories.

Thanks.

[Edited on 7/7/2004 by Leighlia]

After reading the post from Elrin I IMMEDIATELY PM'd her back and invited her to read the OOC we started and to decide whether she wants to catch up and join with the current idea before she decides to withdraw completely. WE DON'T WANNA LOOSE YOU ERLIN!!

So I wanted to post something here before we begin bombarding her with PM's or cluttering the Thread too much with pleas for her return.

[Edited on 7/7/2004 by Leighlia]
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 04:33
My gosh, you wouldn't believe how many error messages I got trying to reach this thread from the pm index.

Anyway I read through the suggestions and I came up with a sugestion of my own. If anyone had read Galcora's profile, I think I added that she had a fear of deep water. It could be said that, maybe during a storm or something she fell into a river and was washed away and not heard of again.
If people are willing to put up with me, Galcora could have been found by some random stranger and due to a knock on the head, be suffering from amnesia and settled down in some remote old village.

Anyway it is just a suggestion, compared to you guys, my ideas seem small and well, not that original.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 06:06
Hey guys, we may be able to work with that, rather than Paldor forgetting he has a sister, perhaps he thinks that she is dead, drowned in the river.

What do ya think?
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 08:53
Elrin, please don't leave! We neeeeed you! I like the idea of her falling into deep water and losing her memory. *shrugs* Better than losing her--and you!-- all together.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2004 10:34
Ya pretty good...Sorry I have been a little out of it recently, i have had a lot of family visiting and not much time to post...This all sounds really good but pretty complicated, and very very sadly, as if our poor old thread hasn't taken enough blows already, I am going to camp for three weeks starting on saturday!!

I MIGHT still be able to post, but its not too likely. There are computers where I am going, but unfortunately, I just learned they are only supposed to be used for research, and it seems pretty strict. So I maybe will be able to sneak in a thing or two from time to time but nothing reliable.

I guess this could be workable, if we are still working with the memories thing...after all, it was invented as a way to get around Elrin not being here...well now it will be me who isnt here so much....I will try very very hard to catch up when I get back, if the thread can get moving again while I am gone..

Once again, sincerest apologies that I didn't realize the whole deal about not being able to post until just now.

Anyway, I am workin gon a post in the far future, probably not nealry as cool as Zie's journal....I hope to get it up before I leave.
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 03:41
Well people, I have decided and you are stuck with me, ha ha ha . Sorry, I noticed that nobody is posting and so i want to post to keep going. First though I need to know what happened to Galcora. Do people want her to have "drowned" or shall I go with what Leighlia had originally intended and broken up with the group and lived a seperate life or something.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2004 07:44
Well, if something made us all forget, why not her too. Why can't she be struggling with half remembered memories combined with a little knock on the head from almost drowning and set out to find lost friends and family.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 06:50
ya, i think both could work Galcora...drownded, forgotten (half) seperated, living own life...
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 12:34
I agree. I like the scenario of having Galcora washed up on the banks of some strange river, without any memory of her past. She can build a new life, while haunted by her unknown origins.
Meanwhile, Paldor can believe his sister drowned and return to his old life as a tower guard at the city. At some point, if something may stir Galcora's memory, and we can go from there. I definitely agree that it's much much better than losing my wonderful sister from the thread altogether! So let's go for it!
Oh and Leighlia, your post is completely absolutely amazing! I have to admit to being somewhat paralyzed by the beauty of it...I feel that anything I post following that is going to be completely inadequate in comparison!
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 12:42
While I appreciate the compliments and the flattery (my eago needs all the help it can get)....anything that you post will be far from inadequate. Especially with as stellar you're post have been in the past.

And that goes for EVERYONE! Please don't let this thread die. It was my first one ever here at COE. (Lip trembling)
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 03:15
Really Monica?? I didn't know that!!! That makes three newbies, Kathy, you, and myself...weird...btw who is that in your avatar?

I am going to have my post up tomorrow, hopefully it will put me up far enough that when I come back I can catch up...

I think maybe instead of the original plan of having Tirgoth and Paldor meet up first, we should have, well, anyone but Tirgoth be the first meeter. Maybe it will work out that by the time you all have all met up i will have returned, and then I can meet last...then the plot that Monica came up with most brilliantly can come into play...

Maybe this is all a futile hope, that I can continue after being gone for three weeks, but *shrugs* I am gonna hope it anyway...This thread is very important to me, and some tiny little part of me tucked away will die with it if it stops so soon....
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 04:16
:love: :hug: :blush:

Since joining your wonderful thread, I have since joined 7 others, 4 of which have since died and another is on the way. I can't let another one go! Not to worry Harrison, things may be slow while your gone, but *stands on tall box, fist in the air* WE WILL NOT LET IT DIE! thank you.* climbs off box.

Just...if you like die or something...post first so we know ok? Ha ha.

As far as my avitar, I've no idea, but it perfectly fits my character (named for myself of course) Leighlia, who is a real character in a manuscript I'm currently writting and have MAJOR writters block on for the last year and a half. I guess the interest in her story has slipped a little.

Here's a thought....since our dear Galcora is getting washed down river, so to speak, she would be washed southwards as water flows south. Zie is coming from the south, headed north. Perhaps they can meet first?? Not really knowing quite why yet they are drawn together until they get to know one another again?? More coming into play as we meet up with others??

Just throwing out ideas....Depends on Galcora's availability.

Just a heads up...my hubby is looking at a possible job transfer out of state in about a month. Things won't be firmed up on it for a couple of weeks yet. If it does happen, then there may be some time when I won't have access until we are settled again. But I can always find the nearest library!! Just wanted to let you guys know.

And yes....I'm old.

~*~

Ok, I must say Cathy....bravo. Excellent post...absolutly excellent! SO......who is it that's gonna be walking up on Paldor?? *trembles with excitement*

[Edited on 16/7/2004 by Leighlia]

[Edited on 16/7/2004 by Leighlia]
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2004 10:22
Alright, so I'll post as soon as possible. I guess I'll also use a few journal entries if no one objects to it.

Anyway I noticed every body is on a first name basis. Anybody know my name?? Ah well I still won't remember yours so I'll keep with your nicknames. Anyway my name's Tahne...try to pronounce that! I've been called Toni for a year now by one of my teachers ah well.

Anyway I think you're all write quite good. I think I would be able to write well if I could write down all my ideas, unfortunately I'm a woman of few words and I'm sure you all have the same problem every now and then. Got all the ideas but just can't seem to write it down.
This is the longest I've actually been in a thread, most of the others have died.

Heh, sorry, I'm babbling.
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 04:14
Elrin...for a woman of few words...you certainly use them well and with pride!
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 08:37
Well, I have finally posted, answering Monica's question. *evil grin*. Btw, Tahne, nice to know your true name! How /do/ you pronounce that?
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2004 10:13
Thank you Leigh! I was inspired to write but then that faded and my post became a little dreary. Oh well, I like it. The other posts are also reallly interesting,

How do you pronounce my name? Ummm... let's see er Tane, Tahnee, Ta-nee, Tani. Any of those would give the right pronounceation, I think. Most people get stuck with the H and the E.

Oh and I hust reread your previous post Leighlia.
since our dear Galcora is getting washed down river, so to speak, she would be washed southwards as water flows south. Zie is coming from the south, headed north. Perhaps they can meet first?? Not really knowing quite why yet they are drawn together until they get to know one another again?? More coming into play as we meet up with others??

I'm all for it if you are. I was a bit uncertain about how to get Galcora started back into the story. I am generaly fine with whatever people choose to happen/do/etc., I try and adapt to all situations my characters are put in.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 05:47
Tahne! What a cool name!
Well it kinda looks like Paldor and Ilmare are about to meet back up in Minas Tirith, folks. Wahooooooo! Here we go! I'm excited! Everyone's posts are simply amazing! I can't wait to see where it all goes!
Elrin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2004 06:25
Is it just me or is posting going slow at the moment? Anyway I'm in process of writing my next post although I don't think it would be very interesting, will see I guess.
Can't wait to see what happens to Paldor and Ilmare!
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 07:02
Sorry I haven't posted yet, I promise I will very very soon. I've been battling a week long migraine.

Thanks for your patience. I'm gonna get Zie up to speed with Galcora.

[Edited on 21/7/2004 by Leighlia]
Leighlia
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 03:22
Ok, I'm posting right now....you guys please let me know if the background information that I put in my 2 mile post is ok with you. I'll edit anything you guys would like to change. I admit, I got long winded and creative and just couldn't stop..much less edit anything else.

Thanks. At least we got part way met up again. Elrin, maybe my post can help you with yours a bit?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email