Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
elowen_x_nenharma
Council Member
Send Message
Post most heroic character?
on: August 04, 2004 03:48
who do you think is the most heroic character in LotR? And by heroic i dont just mean all sword-fighting and speech-making or whatever.
Take Arwen, for example. Shes willing to give up her whole life for love.
And Sam: he stuck by Frodo throughout and never gave up, even when Frodo was 'corrupted' by Gollum and was being a nasty pasty (erm, nasty pasty is just one of my sayings. obviously means someone not being very nice! :blush: )
Anyway, who do you think is the most heroic?
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: most heroic character?
on: August 04, 2004 04:48
I think Pippin is very heroic because he had a choice to go with Frodo or go back home. But being as a good friend that he is or maybe he didn't know what he was getting into; he went with Frodo.

He was the youngest and he went through a lot but not as much as Sam and Frodo went through.
Mearasiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 07:37
I think they're all herioc each in their own way. It takes a lot of bavery just to leave your home and fight what seems to be a losing war.
StupidFatHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 07:41
I say the most heroic character is Sam. He didn't have to stick with Frodo, even when he was deserted, but he did anyway, to the end.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 08:47
each one of them is heroic in his/her own way...having to pic one i'd say Arwen...forsaking her immortality and leaving her people to follow Aragorn and his destiny was simply one of the most heroic things she could have done.
Laurasia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 10:13
I agree that all of them are very heroic. If I had to pick one though, it would have to be...go ahead & guess LOL...Boromir.

He knew that he could not resist the Ring, yet still went to Rivendell to try & do his father's bidding. Then, later when he died defending Merry & Pippin. :sob:

Sincerely,
Laurasia
Scatha
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 10:44
I'd have to say either Eowyn (standing before the second most evil entity in Middle-Earth and prevailing) or Eomer(don't know why, just like his character).
bainwen_greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2004 11:59
id have to say eoyn for standing up to the men of her country who think she should just stay at home and cook and for killing the witchking also sam just for standing by frodo thewhole way to mt doom no matter what
AgentElrond
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 10:51
I would either have to say Arwen or Aragorn. Because Arwen gave up everything for love and I would have to say that is very heroic and very much like her Great-Great-Grandmother.

Aragorn gave up a lot to go to war and become king so he could keep his promise and marry Arwen. He also hada lot of courage by going and facing the army of the dead, and claiming his place as heir of Isuldur.
Samwisefan
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 11:23
I say the most heroic character is Sam. He didn't have to stick with Frodo, even when he was deserted, but he did anyway, to the end.

My feelings exactly.
Brandi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 03:28
I can't pick one either because they all show the different sides of heroism.

Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 05:03
I don't really think I could figure it out between Sam for sticking with Frodo no matter what, Frodo for accepting the ring in the first place, Aragorn for accepting his destiny..............I could go on and on and on and on...........But I wont
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 05:15
This topic seems familar...

Anyway I'm sticking with Sam. Though Frodo can claim to be a hero as well... Sam I think showed more heroic qualities.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 01:35
Compared to who?

I think they all have their own heroism, which fit their specific character.

heroic
Aragorn: kingly descendant, wise and blessed with long life, though mortal, "just" does what is necessary, without asking or even wanting acknowledgement for his actions.
Frodo: friendly and naive little hobbit, convinced by Gandalf and the Council (more or less) that he was the only one who could carry the Ring (Gandalf was right, though). Showed a lot of heroism.
Arwen: heroic because of her choice.
Merry & Pippin showed, I think, a lot of heroism, not according to their nature.
Faramir: not blessed with long life, "just" an "ordinary" human, not very special skilles, but dedicated to his country, his people and his father, still remained human and compassive, i.m.o. he has a real heroic character.
Same goes for Eomer, I think, if "father" is replaced by "uncle".

non-heroic
Sam: dedicated to, almost obsessed by, Frodo's welfare, which is the main reason for his "heroism" througout the movies.
Eowyn: not heroic, just a girl who does not acknowledge that what is already given to her, but rather die than stay behind and take care for her people.
Gimli: as a Dwarf too stubborn to be frightened of anything (Dwarves were created with a stubborn character to be able to stand against Morgoth and Sauron). Did not care about the risks (at least not at first), but I think in character, he has grown during the quest ([size=1]sorry, that was a little off-topic[/size]).
Legolas: Elvenwarrior, knew what he got into, knew what his skilles were, knew what the riscs were.

Of course does "non-heroic" not mean that the characters were not important to the movies, because they certainly are. Also the unmentioned characters, warriors, soldiers, mothers... I think they also are heroic in their own way.
Neniel_Andunië
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 01:50
Faramir: not blessed with long life, "just" an "ordinary" human, not very special skilles, but dedicated to his country, his people and his father, still remained human and compassive, i.m.o. he has a real heroic character.

Thank you! I agree completely. Not only that, but he had the chance to impress his father by taking the ring and he still did what was right and let it go. That has got to be one of the most heroic actions of all.
Annûniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 03:19
Ahh... We're always disagreeing, aren't we Eruantalincë?

Anyway, I can't believe you don't consider Sam to be a hero! Not even just a little bit. Sam didn't have to follow Frodo all the way to Mordor, but he did. Anyone who willingly went to the fires of Mt Doom deserves to be called a hero. Frodo wouldn't have gotten anywhere without Sam. And if I were Frodo, and someone followed me to the ends of the earth and back, I'd consider them to be a hero. But hey that's just me.
Brandi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 04:11
Eowyn was heroic. Just because she is given something doesn't mean it has to be what she settles for. That's as confining as the men who think she should be happy to see them off to war and cheer them with no greater ambitions beyond the home. She walked her path and did it courageously.

Sam was a hero because he went on a mission out of friendship but came to see its importance. He could've turned back but he didn't. He defines the staying power of determined hope which is heroic to me any day.

Gimli went because the world was threatened and help was needed. He chose to support the people he was allied with despite their obvious dislike of each other. He did grow but he's not the only one who did that on this journey.

Legolas chanced his immortality. What if he'd died? Forgive me but it's been awhile since I've read the books and I don't recall everything. He heard the call for the safety of the world and despite having the chance to leave it all behind he still helped.

Heroism is very different on each person it sits.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 12:02
Luthien03, I do not think we have to agree, as long as we respect each other's point of views and discuss about it in a mature way or at least give some founded explanations about "why".
And no, I really do not consider Samwise as a hero. I also do not think he was an unimportant character, because he was indeed.

Brandi, I did not say that the men of Rohan expected
Eowyn to be happy in her role, because they (at least Theodred and Eomer) knew she was not. But when war is upon a country, everyone has to help and preferably in a way they actually can be useful. If leadership of people is what is needed, than someone should lead the people. And I think it is quite a honorable task, but hey, that is just me.

What is said about Gimli... I do not think so. The old bonds between Dwarves, Elves and Men were almost wiped out and each race was living their own lives, without really noticing the other race. At least in the 3rd Age it was. It is what Theoden says in TTT "we are not so lucky with friends as you" (to Aragorn on the walls of Helm's Deep, or at least something like that). Only some of the wisest among the Elves knew that their time had come and that they had to leave for Valinor soon.

And it is not something strange that, when a whole world is threatened, a delegation of all races is sent for a saving operation. It was not just something that threatened only mankind, so it would be unfair that and unrealistic if the saving of the world would be left up to mankind only.
Brandi
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2004 09:27
This is great. My family is tired of LOTR, even though they like them too, and I think they might hide my DVDs. lol.
Lotrfreak37
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 01:49
I think frodo and sam are both heros.
Sam had to stick with gollum when he knew gollum was evil. I also feel sorry for him cuz he had to climb up those stairs twice!
Frodo had to deal with the rings power overcoming him and the scars of the journey. He also had to deal with gollum also.
:cheers:
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 02:27
i think that all of them are heroic. but if i had to choose, i'd say Sam. Sam is so great with putting up with Frodo when his master becomes ensnared by the Ring and he does everything possible to help him through.
LotRElfGirl13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2004 08:12
Yes, all are very herioc in their way but the most to me is, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS, LEGOLAS!:heart:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 02:45
Frodo is the Ring-bearer. So he is the most heroic character.
tiniwel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2004 11:07
I think Aragorn, Frodo, Arwen, Eowyn, Pippin, Eomer, Legolas, Sam, and like a lot of people are heroic. NOT including Gollum, Bilbo (just what did he do in the whole trilogy?!?!) and Wormtongue.

Sarah aka Tiniwel
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2004 09:53
For me it has to be Sam, He isn't any kind of warrior and he doesn't have anthing but his love of Frodo to carry him through
MarchwardenOfIthilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 12:10
I'd say...Faramir. I mean, he did what had to be done. And turning down the ring...that was good. And obeying his father even though it could have killed him...he's just all around heroic.

Or Boromir. I mean, he did give in, but he redeemed himself by saving Merry and Pippin, or at least trying to. And even though he didn't like Aragorn being king of Gondor in the begining, he accepted his rule of Gondor in his dying words.

Pippin and Merry were brave, because they left everything they knew and all that was familiar to go with Frodo. Same goes for Sam. Anyone who can do that is totally an unsung hero and deserves the highest of awards.

Ok, that's my opinion, have a nice day, mellon nins!
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2004 08:45
I can't pick one either because they all show the different sides of heroism.

I totally agree. They were all very heroic, whether in a big or small way, they all stretched themselves to the limit.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 02:29
Grin, quite a short answer Figwit, almost if it is not you who wrote it.
Well, it was absolutely heroic when Frodo told the Council that he "would take the Ring to Mordor".
Arawyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 03:15
I think Merry and Eowyn were very heroic, and not just because they defeated what any man could not. But because they both wanted to help their friends, and their home, even when they are told that they cannot fight. And Merry, being a hobbit and separated from his friends, to come out so well in a battle, despite being so scared of what would happen...Plus, he isn't a warrier to start out with, he's just a hobbit! But as the story progresses, we can kinda take the 'just' out of the last sentace, and say, 'yeah, he's a hobbit, but he's also a hero'. That's what heroic is, when you can do what you have to do, and not think too much about the price.
Teithaglir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 04:01
I think that Sam is the most heroic. His journey is more intense than the others. He is almost afraid to leave the shire and ends up carrying the ring up Mt. Doom.:heart:
EruanwenSaeriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 09:51
Boy this is a hard one. They are all brave but I think I have to choose Faramir. For forfeiting his life to let Frodo and Sam go, for going out to challenge the Mordor hordes even though he knew he would be overrun and in spite of his father's opinion of him. I felt the most sorry for Faramir - maybe that's why I think he's the bravest character.

But others are also brave - Sam for carrying on even when he thought Frodo was dead. Eowyn and Merry when they charged the bad guys ("Courge Merry."), Aragorn and company when they went into the paths of the dead and when they were surrounded at the black gate and charged anyway knowing they would all probably die ("For Frodo."). Boromir for fighting to the last breath (best death scene ever on film IMHO).
Aramir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 10:16
If I would choose, it would be Faramir and Boromir. Boromir was sort of haughty and proud that he was the Steward's son, or somewhat, yet he still cares about his younger brother. Faramir, the 'rejected' one, was just plain brave and stubborn in a way. He listens to his father, even if he was signing his own death contract and he just forfeits his life for Frodo and Sam, when he was trying to fight the same cause of his brother's death. But in a way, it seems like the Sons of Gondor are just plain human, brave, and stubborn and proud.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 09:18
Grin, quite a short answer Figwit, almost if it is not you who wrote it.

Lol Eru, is that a challange?

- Frodo is the Ring-bearer: means he has to carry a sizeshifting, talking band of cold inscripted gold on a chain around his neck from his lovely home in the Shire all the way to fiery Mount Doom where Sauron goes to chill out or make plans for world domination. What's more: this makes him the only one of the Nine Walkers who can't ever give up. He's the one single person who has to make it, all the others can perish or get married or run off or become King or whatever - but not him.

- He's being followed around by a frog-like creature with large luminiscent eyes that makes choking noises (chances of being hit by a hairball are not few) and is more than definitely going to attempt to kill him to get his hands on said ring.

- He's being hunted by nine (NINE) see-through guys in black sheets that make the most amazing screeching noises and have a tendency to pop up wherever you don't want to find them - and who are also more than definitely going to attempt to kill him to get their see-through hands on said ring.

- He has to make some very tough decisions: does he trust Strider or not (if he makes the wrong decision, he'll end up on the wrong end of that pointy sword), does he take the Ring to Mordor, does he go left or right (very significant scene, really), do they go through Moria or across the Mountain, does he go on alone without the others, does he trust Gollum like Gandalf asked, should they go through the Black Gate or through Cirith Ungol, can he still trust Sam, does he throw the Ring in the fire or not?

- He gets attacked by Boromir. Personally, I wouldn't mind that, but I don't think he enjoyed the experience. Later, he gets hobbitnapped by Boro's brother, Faramir. Let's not forget the slimy spider and the loony Orcs either.

- The Ring wears him down: he goes from wimpy to Uberwimpy, and in the meantime looses his mind. BUT he does make it to Mount Doom (partially thanks to Sam, of course - who didn't have to bear the Ring though, makes a huge difference).

AND WHAT DOES HE GET FOR THIS? Nothing. He can go retire far away from his friends on an island full of eternally spotless Elves where he and Bilbo will be the only ones to die (well, Sam'll go and die there too, as will Gimli, but still...). In the company of Gandalf the grumpy.

I mean, please, that's a hero if ever I saw one

{I actually am serious about this: though every character is heroic in his or her own way, and Frodo is far from being my favorite character, the most heroic can't be anyone else for me.}
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 11:12
[size=1]ROTFLMAO[/size]

Bravo Figwit, extended answer and great explanation. Someone I know has a "Frodomania", so I never really liked him, though I knew his importancy for the movies, but this helps a lot to like Frodo.

LadyIreneOfRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2010 03:11
I agree that all of them are very heroic. If I had to pick one though, it would have to be...go ahead & guess LOL...Boromir.

He knew that he could not resist the Ring, yet still went to Rivendell to try & do his father's bidding. Then, later when he died defending Merry & Pippin.

He's so brave...to sacrifice himself...he's a real hero...:love:
It's a pity that he had to die...:cry::cry::cry: :sob: :sob: :sob:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email