Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aldariel22
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Friendships in the movies: who's your favourite??
on: January 14, 2005 03:55
I'd say my fave friend/relationships would be Faramir/Boromir, Aragorn/Eomer, and Aragorn/Bormir.

-Faramir/Boromir because even though they are really different they love each other, have fun with each other, and would die for each other(and they are the hottest brothers in all of Middle-earth!)

-Aragorn/Eomer because I think they kind of understand what the other is going throungh with the role of being these leaders of men fighting against the odds and they are both heirs to the throne and soon to be kings, so they trust and respect each other and I think that they know that it will help them and their country if the are on good terms and even be friends and allies with each other, later on when they are the rulers.

-Aragorn/Boromir starts off, at best non-exsitent, and at worst hatred/jealousy-ish. But traveling and working and fighting side-by-side they were bound to form some sort of comraderie(spelling?) especially being the only two humans/men in the Fellowship. You start to see, at least in the film, when they see(and just before they see) the Crebain. It gets claerer to see at Lothlorien-Boromir talks about Aragorn and himself entering Gondor together as allies and friends. I think that it is evident by Amon Hen and Boromir's death. Aragorn promise to protect and take care of Boromir's beloved home and country. Boromir not only swears allegiance to Aragorn as his Captain and King, but calls and considers him his brother(he loves and would die to protect Faramir,and so now he is saying he would this for Aragorn) and trusts him to save Gondor and essentially passes on his protector/hero-of-Gondor role to Aragorn and has faith that Aragorn will be able to handle it. Aragorn needs this to get his rear in gear and accept that he is going to have to become the King and now he has given his word to his dying "brother" so he has to do his absolute best to keep his word.
Gimli and Legolas
19% (2)
Aragorn and Arwen
5% (6)
Pippin and Merry
20% (2)
Frodo and Sam
27% (3)
Eowyn and Merry
2% (2)
Legolas and Aragorn
17% (2)
Faramir and Boromir
5% (7)
Gandalf and Pippin
2% (3)
Saruman and Wormtongue
0% (0)
Aragorn and Eomer
2% (3)
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 09:29
I LOVE the Legolas and Aragorn friendship. Right in the books there isn't really much between them, but in the movie on the other hand there is much more and I love it! From the first line Legolas says in FOTR where it at once makes it clear that those two know of each other from before of (in the movie). I have not really any idea why though. Leggie is one of my fave characters, but Aragorn... I don't even really like him. lol. But the friendship he haves with Leggie and their scenes in TTT is sooo good! I love it! Elf and man! Anyone read Mellon Chronicles? <3 Amazing!

I always seem to find a pair of friendship I like the most in movies, shows and stuff and in LOTR I ended up having Ara and Leggies whos in the book doesn't really have much! :heart: Thank you PJ! hehe
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 03:29
I like the Legolas and Gimli friendship the best. I like that they goof around with each other and aren't always so serious, even though it is a serious situation.
cirithungol
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 03:54
Frodo and Sam duh! They're such great friends, and Sam especially is loyal and awesome to the end!
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 04, 2006 06:33
No Contest... Sam and Frodo. It's the kind of friendship everyone hopes to have once in their lives...selfless, loyal, loving, respectful... The very best.
Shadowfaxie
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2006 05:27
I LOVE the Legolas and Aragorn friendship. Right in the books there isn't really much between them, but in the movie on the other hand there is much more and I love it! From the first line Legolas says in FOTR where it at once makes it clear that those two know of each other from before of (in the movie). I have not really any idea why though. Leggie is one of my fave characters, but Aragorn... I don't even really like him. lol. But the friendship he haves with Leggie and their scenes in TTT is sooo good! I love it! Elf and man! Anyone read Mellon Chronicles? <3 Amazing!

I always seem to find a pair of friendship I like the most in movies, shows and stuff and in LOTR I ended up having Ara and Leggies whos in the book doesn't really have much! :heart: Thank you PJ! hehe

That is me, lol. I want to add Merry/Pippin too! They're adorable! The Frodo/Sam is also sweet of course, but like the two other hobbits better

[Edited on 14/10-87 by Shadowfaxie]
ElvenAtHeart
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 23, 2006 02:14
I think Legolas and Gimli is my fav friendship because of the dislike between Elfs and Dwarves but Legolas and Gimli overcome this and become very great friends especialy as Legolas takes Gimli into the west with him when he leaves Middle Earth

I voted for them as well, and as someone said above ^ that's why I voted for them...but for me it's a very close one because Frodo and Sam have a really great friendship, too...

[Edited on 24/8/2006 by ElvenAtHeart]
Celebne
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2006 10:27
I voted for Faramir/Boromir, the sexiest men of Middleearth. :love:
But I'd voted too for Faramir/Éowyn or Faramir/Pippin. I wonder, why the poll is with Aragorn/Éomer. There was a great friendship between the two guys in the books, but in the movies there was nothing.
Adablaer
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2006 02:08
It's so hard to pick a favorite. I love the antics of Pippin and Merry, and how much they seem to care about each other. It's so sad when they're separated for the first time, and Pippin yells, "Merry!" They're both so sweet.

I also really like Gimli and Legolas's friendship. It's nice to see how they go from enemies, to best friends.

And I especially like the scene between Faramir and Boromir in the extended edition of TTT. You can tell they have a lot of love for each other, despite their differences.

And of course, you can't forget Frodo and Sam. They stuck by each other through everything. It's so nice to see that devotion in a friendship.
SecondCousinOnceRemoved
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 19, 2006 10:56
I voted for Merry and Pippin. I think there great. But Frodo and Sam's friendship is a bit more touching and a ton of the story is about it.
FredGaelwynn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2006 10:03
Aragorn and Boromir.... Maybe the most tragic friendship, because it started with Boromir's death : "My captain, My king!"... And Aragorn started to cry. A very intense moment.
DaugtherOfThranduil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2006 01:29
i voted for Legolas/Aragorn but i also like Aragorn/Arwen
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2007 03:01
I voted for Pippin and Merry.:love:

I love them both, their so childish and cute! I love how Merry kind of keeps Pippin in line, and yet he he gets into trouble himself!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2007 08:00
I voted for Aragorn and Legolas.
I like to think of Elrond's sons , and Legolas , teaching Aragorn woodscraft, and warcraft , as a child. Knowing of him from birth. The way they had known and taught his father and grandfathers for centuries. Watching each of them grow up in turn. Watching them grow old or die in battle. Wondering each time, will he be the one who becomes the King . And knowing if and when he does , your time in Middle Earth is pretty well over. And now it looks like Aragorn is the one.
Luthiena
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2007 10:49
It's a tie between Legolas and Gimli and Merry and Pippin.

XD
~Frodowyn33~
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2011 01:19
Frodo and Sam. Most adorable friendship ever.
IndilwenLanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2011 07:08
I had to with Aragorn and Legolas just because I've read the Mellon Chronicles.
coral
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Friendships in the movies: who
on: March 22, 2012 09:11
Gimli and Legolas! Like the way how they count their victims... especially when Legolas killed an oliphaunt, and Gimli said, "That still counts for one!"
Hahaha Love them!
Aarien Miiriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2012 10:11
Quote from on July 19, 2006, 19:29
I LOVE the Legolas and Aragorn friendship. Right in the books there isn't really much between them, but in the movie on the other hand there is much more and I love it! From the first line Legolas says in FOTR where it at once makes it clear that those two know of each other from before of (in the movie). The friendship Aragorn has with Legolas and their scenes in TTT is sooo good! I love it! Elf and man! Anyone read Mellon Chronicles? <3 Amazing!

Yes, the Mellon Chronicles are amazing! I voted for Aragorn/Legolas as well, their friendship is SO cool!

They stick with each other through everything; that's how *true* friendship should be.
Aarien Miiriel Of the Realm of Vana I am nothing without God!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2012 06:56
I actually have two friendships i like, the one between Legolas and Gimli just because they put aside their races hate (strong word) for eachother i also recall they go and spend time in eachother's natural habitat Moria and Fangorn (i could be wrong), Secondly Frodo and Sam, Sam showed his true friendship on a lot of accounts he nearly drowns himself in Fotr, and when he is told to leave in Rotk he doesnt instead he goes to save Frodo, Sam could have easily have left with the ring but his friendship with Frodo was too strong
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2012 04:48
Merry and Eowyn also Gimli and Legolas and Aragon and Boromir (that was not on there)
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 11:47
Well...due to the Mellon Chronicles, I'm voting for Aragorn/Legolas. But also with the movies you can tell that Legolas and Aragorn had met previously and that they may have been friends. I need to re-read the book to see what kind of a friendship they had.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 03:40
Boromir/the little ones and Legolas and Aragorn. You can really feel the bond between these 2 groups!
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 09:11
In the movies, I'd go for Aragorn & Legolas, and Boromir & Faramir. This is because it came across more clearly to me in the movies.
We know Faramir loved his brother, but its good to see their interaction which is something we don't get in the books.
And for Aragorn & Legolas, I really like the way they interact, their friendship is more obvious in the films, as opposed to the friendship of Legolas & Gimli which I think comes across easier in the books.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2013 09:19
I like the friendship between Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard.
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
I was sort of torn between the Gimli/Leggy (b)romance and Merry & Pippin, but I went for Gandalf & Pippin in the end. I love that "Fool of a Took" line.
basti
Council Member
Send Message
Gimli and Legolas. They had a special chemistry, plus I loved how Legolas stood up for Gimli, when he was threatened in one scene.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I'll have to go with a negative example: PJ trashing THE CENTRAL friendship / loyalty aspect of the book, that between Sam and Frodo with his cheap little "giving Gollum his little triumph" moment. A deviation at least as bad, perhaps worse, than PJ's wimpifying of Faramir. As I have posted several times, we could have done a lot worse than PJ as a director for JRRT movies. But that makes his utter incomprehension on (at least) these two topics so much more aggravating.

[Edited on 11/16/2015 by Gandolorin]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email