Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sirthien
Council Member
Send Message
Post How many broken bones through your life?
on: September 19, 2004 09:05
I have a nice white cast on my leftie... again, I might add, and when I spoke with my mother she said: "Is this the ten bone or what?"

actually no... I've broken my left hipbone when I was 13, the same time I got a fracture on two vertabraes... I've broken my ribs eight times... and scullfracture, and my arm has broken twice... even though it's only one bone this time... that equals: 14 times... and I'm 22 yrs old... I should stay away from high things.
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: How many broken bones through your life?
on: September 20, 2004 10:05
I fractured two metatarsals in my left foot last year. I was playing with my kitty cat, and I ran into a dresser. :blush: Funny thing was I broke it over the Thanksgiving holiday, I had college classes so I was running around a lot, plus I had horseback riding... I didn't know it was broken until about 2 weeks before Christmas. :dizzy: I can be a bit dense at times. I cracked my skull when I was 4 or 5. I fell off a bridge in my backyard and cracked my head on the concrete below. Parents didn't take me to the doc. I turned out fine, despite now that is my first memory, and I have a dent in my head. lol, it isn't noticeable, unless I go, "here, feel"
I should have dozens more, I guess I just don't break easily.
here's a list of things that probably should have resulted in broken bones:
1. Fell off the pool deck while it was being built
2. Totally wiped out on a HUGE patch of ice and slid 10+ feet on my bum. That was frikkin hilarious... :blush:
3. Fell off the stairs, and took the banister with me. :blush: :blush:
4. Was balance beam walking the poarch railing in socks after it had rained and fell in the azalea bush...okay so I was kind of asking for that one.
5. When I was coming in the door from shopping, I tripped over my kitty cat and hit my head on the coat rack
6. Wiped out in my kitchen, my foot went under the cabinet and slammed against the corner of the cabinet door and took a CHUNK out of my foot, and it swelled up. I couldn't walk on it for a day, and went to the doc to have it xrayed the next day. Doc was surprised it wasn't broken. I still have a scar.

I think that's enough for one post...
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 11:58
i didnt break it completely, but i fractured my left collarbone when i was.. 9? it was centimetres from being cracked all the way through, so it nearly almost counts. hee hee.

its funnier how i managed it. i was doing a handstand on my bed and i fell off.. yes you read that correctly, i was doing a handstand on my bed, and i fell off straight onto my shoulder. bit stupid eh?

i think i still feel where it was *checks* yeah you can still feel the dent in the top surface where it hasnt healed completely - dont think it will.
Ataralassë_Manveri
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 02:34
forgot one, my left eye socket.. the lower portion has a raised place, from where I got kicked in the face when swimming. didn't get a black eye though.
hobbitmom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 04:21
Well, I'm not as bad as you, Sirthien and Elistariel, but I have had a few in my years .

Had my right Collarbone broken twice; First time when I was born, and second was when I was six.

The doctor that Delivered me twisted my back out and broke my Collarbone. Was in a body cast for a month.
When I was six I got scared and climbed up the top bunk with my sister and ended up falling and hitting the edge of my other sisters foot board. OUCH :dizzy:, Got a compound-fracture out of that one. Bone stuck through my skin about a inch. I was in the hospital a month and wore a sling for a year.

New years eve day of 2000, I broke my ankle in 5 places. Was having surgery on New Years Eve. Was in hospital for three days. I have 6 pins in my ankle and about 18 nuts and bolts. Lucky I don't do any Flying :twitch:.

The really big accident that happened to me was when I was 4. I got hit by a car and dragged for half a block before the driver even new he hit me. My little legs were raped around the back wheel bar and my head was just sticking out the back of the car. A woman walking down the walk saw my little head sticking out of the back of the car and screamed. There was a streak of blood on the road from the spot where the car hit me to where it stoped. I was in a coma for 3 days. The one thing that really surprised the Doctors was I didn't have one bone broken in my little body .

[Edited on 21/9/2004 by hobbitmom]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 04:28
I broke my left arm in grade one. I was on the monkey bars, and I came to a loose one and slipped. I fell from the third or fourth highest bar. Just my luck eh?
Sirthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2004 09:08
I don't consider me unlucky... more lucky, this last time about three days ago it could have been much worse: I was riding my cousins more wild than tame stallion and he got freaked by a lorry, I was inches from hitting me after I found myself on the ground.

The time I broke my hip and vertabreas I got hit while biking to school, I had my spleen removed, my left lung collapsed and the paramedic thought I was done.

So I consider my self lucky... 'cause I could as likely be dead...
Isafjordur
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 02:57
Whoa, these are all amazing stories!

I especially am amazed by Hobbit Mom's encounters with her injuries during birth and the car accident when she was four and the compound fracture when she was six. My lady, you are both resilient and someone out in the great beyond is looking after you.

In October 2001 I broke my right fifth metatarsal falling down the porch stairs while sweeping leaves. I live alone, so I kept walking all day and the next to do my chores and see the doctor before I found I broke my foot.

I am a very active person, so I was really annoyed. Thank heavens the podiatrists were both marathon runners and knew I liked to run and hike, so they put me in a tight bandage and canvas boot and advised me to do underwater jogging. It was actually a pretty good substitute, so I could still keep up with my exercising. What was funny was almost everyone in the YMCA deep water jogging class had joined it originally because of breaking his/her foot and just kept with it for fun. And I also learned that most people break their feet doing mundane chores not mountain climbing. Accidents are most likely to happen when you are doing ordinary things because you let your guard down.

P.S. As soon as I could I got back to hiking, running, yoga and horse riding. Except that my fifth toe is a bit crooked, I forget mostly that I had a broken foot.
Tinwetari
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2004 04:27
I've only broken my right pinkie finger. It was during one of my basketball games earlier this year, and I reached up to get a rebound and the ball fell straight on my finger. It hurt a lot.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 10:00
i have broken any nahnahnananah. *runs awya and hides*
Rodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 05:14
I broke my right arm when I was about 9 or 10... I was standing on a chair to reach something and I fell off and woke up lying next to my dad's toolbox (probably hit my arm on that?) with my arm feeling very funny. I didn't have a cast but had my arm tied up in a sort of sling (made it very difficult to bathe or shower.) The funny thing is, now that it's healed, it looks more normal than my left arm. Both my elbows used to hyperextend, but now the elbow of the arm I broke doesn't. So if I'm leaning on both my arms it probably looks kind of funny. One would be straight and the other would be bent farther back than normal.
Cailyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2004 09:09
I haven't had any, but I've had to care for people who did. Just so you know, Orlando Bloom has done it, oh, 12 or 13 times. Did you know that he filmed The Two Towers with fractured ribs? After the movies he fell three stories and fractured his backbone. Yikes!

[Edited on 11/22/2004 by Cailyn]
Sirthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2004 11:51
I can actually add a broken finger to my previous post... Again it is a horse... Jamjam threw me of in the snow and my pinkie snapped... It doesn't hurt though...
Sindaeririel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 25, 2004 05:40
I've never had any broken bones in the 17 years of my existence either Only time I've been in hospital was when I was about 1 year old and had pneumonia, after that never again
Silversnow
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 02:43
Well, I haven't exactly broken any bones in the body. I have twisted my ankle (which I've heard hurts more than a broken ankle) while do the long jump (the same day RotK came out!). I have also fractured my pinkie while sprinting down the hall way in my house and then ramming it into my brother's door frame. My mom wouldn't take me to the doctors until a couple of days because she thought it was only a bad bruise but she got a real surprise when they told her it was fractured.

This doesn't really count but when I was born, I was born with a strange hip. My legs weren't exactly in the hip sockets correctly so I had to wear a brace (sorta like a thick plastic diaper) for a year which helped move the legs into the correct position. Luckily, I was only one then so I didn't care what I looked like. My hips still haven't healed completely and I have to go to the doctors once a year. This hip problem has been passed down generation and generation in my family so I was kind of stuck with it. . .

[Edited on 26/11/2004 by Silversnow]
Morna_Child_of_Eru
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 01:11
No actual broken bones, but I have disloacted my knees. Don't ask me how many times. I lost track around six (loose joints). It hurts, but not as much as it would if my body was actually built properly.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 03:07
Broke both bones in my left arm, near the wrist, and the tiny bit of bone at the end of the outside lowe leg bone (the fibula). None of this happened until I was well into adulthood. The first one was actually the ankle area, back in 1982, while in Bermuda (stationed there). Moped accident. *roll eyes* The second happened in 1988 while taking my GS troop ice-skating in Hawaii (at the only rink there). Sheesh... I have since given up such activities. LOL
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2005 09:10
Luckily I have a fairly stout build and haven't done anything forcefull enough injury-wise to break anything. *Searches for wood to knock on, seeing only plastic*
LotrLuva
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2005 12:37
The only broken bone I've ever had was in 1996, when I broke my collarbone. I'm not telling you how I broke it, because, well, it's kind of embarrising.
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2005 07:00
It can't be all that embarrassing LotrLuva. I don't think anyone here is cold hearted enough to make fun of you
Soronumë
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 07:17
NO bones broken... Ever. And I wanna keep it that way. *lol*
LotrLuva
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2005 02:40
It can't be all that embarrassing LotrLuva. I don't think anyone here is cold hearted enough to make fun of you

Okay, then. I shall tell you.

When I was just a little munshkin me and my friend used to play this game where he would overturn the hammock in our backyard with me on it and I had to hold on until he turned it back again. It was a very stupid and dangerous game. So, anyway, one day I accidently let go of the edges I was holding onto and fell down. I must have landed with my arm first, because that's how I broke it.

I guess it's not all that embarrasing, but I think it was a stupid thiung to do.

Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 03:34
Well LotrLuva, it's certainly isn't more stupid then what I used to to, though I didn't break any bones.

I have never broken any bones in my life! Might have broken a finger once though (it was blue), but I just taped it to another one and about a week or so later it was alright.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: May 16, 2005 01:54
At school I fell off some gym apparatus and put my hand out to break my fall and broke my wrist. As it was my writing hand I did get out of the end of year exams
Angel_Of_Athens
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 10:01
I've never broken a bone in my life! But I am planning on getting into professional wrestling I bet I'll take some bumps then huh?
Ilfa
Surrealism of Arda
Send Message
on: May 28, 2005 11:08
I haven't broken any bone yet. :rolleyes: And I'm not planning to. I don't want to have operations.:rolling: I'm afraid of it!
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 04:50
Here's an unusual one...I've broken my nose! I ran straight into a pole when I was about 5 years old. Ouch!

I've also dislocated my left thumb. We were having a blackboard duster fight at school, and I went to pick up a duster, and someone kicked me so hard on the thumb (accidently) and the thumb bent right back. Hurt when I fixed the thumb back into place!
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 03, 2005 08:54
None as yet. I don't mean to either (like Ilfa), hopefully I have enough calcium and I'm not gonna get into any trouble, so I should be okay.

My friend had a fractured her finger once, but we told her she was silly and there was nothing wrong with it... so for 6 weeks she did nothing. It swelled up to twice the normal size and she went to check it out, it was fractured. Painful...
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2005 09:41
None Then again I'm only 13
~Songbird

P.s. LOL, speaking of running into poles, when I was in Toronto recently I was looing over at the CN tower and i litterally walked into a tree! Everyone looked at my funny, and my head hurt so bad for like 10 mins!

[Edited on 5/10/2005 by songbird13]
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 02:51
Zilch.
Princess_Sailasiri
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2005 05:40
Zilch.

Yeah me too.
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 10:38
Nada, zip, zilch. Though I've had stitches (in my bloody mouth!), stapled myself, and have had some nasty soccer injuries, I've managed never to break a bone.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has walked right into poles- I ran into a bright yellow one at Disney Land..... :blush:
Tyrann
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2005 07:18

P.s. LOL, speaking of running into poles, when I was in Toronto recently I was looing over at the CN tower and i litterally walked into a tree! Everyone looked at my funny, and my head hurt so bad for like 10 mins!

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I ran into a tree when I was heading to my car! Then again, it was fairly dark, but it hurt a lot!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 06:22
None Awelyn 418
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: December 03, 2005 10:44
None. Zilch. Nada. Zip.
I did twist my ankle recently because I was walking in the pasture and I stepped on the side of my ankle. It hurt for a few days, but it's normal now. I have run into a tetherball pole (in hindsight it's hilarious) before. I was walking along and talking and I wasn't watching where I was going, and the next thing I knew, BAM!
My little brother has broken his back. He was playing on the slide in the park and he slipped and fell backwards. He's also ran into a dumpster. He had to get three stitches for that little escapade.
On the other hand, I have gotten several stitches (both with very clean knives). The first time my pocketknife folded over my finger, and the second time I was opening a cardboard box with my brother's boxknife and sliced my thumb open.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email