Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Barahir1
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Of Elven Halls: Shield of Imladris
on: December 15, 2004 06:12
Ereinion who still sits in the anteroom reading hears Finduilas's cry out.

"The Númenorian scrolls! They are gone!" she shrieked, pointing at an empty space on the shelf." Those were valuable beyond knowledge!" Finduilas wailed "The personal accounts of many of the kings were written upon them! The maps of Númenorë and Beleriand are missing also!"

Ereinion stands and walks toward her carrying one of the ancient books. "Be at peace Finduilas, for the ancient books of Eregion are still preserved and kept by the Lord of Imladris. See here." He points to a passage written in past years and holds the book for her to read. She looks up at him after reading the passage.

"They have been sent away to keep them from falling into the hands of those who seek the power the ring is said to have wielded. We know who desire's to hold that power in their black hand. If you wish to continue with this we will need to leave Imladris. No one must be told what we do other than those who travel with us on this quest." He closes the book and looks her in the eye. "It was your desire to seek out the ring, what would you have us do?"
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2004 08:56
Feanar had not known she could shed tears anymore. The only other time was Glory's death... but he was alive and well. She took her friends comfort happy that at least she would know his embrace once, if never again.

At Finduilas' cry, the peredhel composed herself and showed no outward sign of her heart-break, though her insides were torn asunder. She had know they were destined, her empathy could feel it, but it was not meant to be. While her heart sunk, the bright mind was swirling with what would happen now and she anxiously awaited Finduilas' command, hopeful to see some fighting along the way as it would ease her pain and give her something else to focus on.

She abruptly realized her arm was still around the advisor and the half-elf jerked it back and fiddled with her dagger and called to Morhith. He always comforted her, he came silently flying in from the back to land on her shoulder as everyone present awaited the decision.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 04:55
While Mallen was eating, he never paid too much attention at other things. He had his blades on his mind. And the fact that they might be used in batle soon enough...

Calma leaned closer to his brother.

"Mallen!"

"M?" Mallen answered, his mouth stil full.

"What do you say?"

"About what?"Mallen had managed to swallow the soft pork.

"Are you listening at all? Linwe suggested we go look where the others are."

"Oh, a nice idea. Arrad, are you coming, too?" Mallen asked the quiet elleth by his side.

"Yes, of course," she replied, and Mallen helped her up, while Calma hurried to assist Linwe the same way.

"What might they be looking for in the Library?" Calma wondered. He considered himself among the few who knew almost each shelf nd its contents.

At the entrance, they noticed a shield that was dropped on the ground.

"Why has somebody just dropped it instead of putting it back on the wall?" Linwe wondered. Calma kneeled down, but had to get up laughing again. "I belive I understand, why. It is incredibly heavy!"

"Now, let me try," Mallen pushed his brother aside playfully, picked the shield up and easily hanged it on the wall. "It wasn't THAT heavy after all," he shot up his eyebrow.

"Being proud, are we?" Calma chided his elder brother playfully.

Mallen was about to reply that same way, when they heard somebody exclaiming:

"The Númenorian scrolls! They are gone!"

Mallen and Calma exchanged worried glances, then hurried deeper in the Library.

"Scrolls are missing? What happened?" Calma was extremely worried. He held books more valuable than anything else.

"They have been sent away to keep them from falling into the hands of those who seek the power the ring is said to have wielded. We know who desire's to hold that power in their black hand. If you wish to continue with this we will need to leave Imladris. No one must be told what we do other than those who travel with us on this quest." He closes the book and looks her in the eye. "It was your desire to seek out the ring, what would you have us do?"

"I ma definately coming, Ereinion!" Calma said decisively. "Wherever the road may lead."

Mallen's brow furrowed.

"Whait a minute. Ereinion, what is going on here?"
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2004 03:49
((Tindomewen, your character is sooooo Mary Sue! Half-elf? Seriously. There were only three cross-race couples, and one hasn't even taken place yet!))

Finduilas shook her head. "No! Not those! Those I know were copied. It is the maps and the diaries. All accounts of the Rings are kept closely guarded. My father had possesion of the things missing"

"They were never there" Erestor said quietly.

Incredulous looks came from all.

"Your father did not want the scrolls in the wrong hands, Finduilas, so he hid them. Clues are scattered throughout the lands. The first is here, in Imladris"

"And I did not know this? He was my father! He should have told me!" Finduilas rasped through tears.

Erestor could see that the mistrust Gwindor had shown of his daughter was hurting his love. Or perhaps it was her pride in her knowledge that was injured. "Finduilas, I am the Library's Keeper, he told me because I must be told. He told no others. Not even Lord Elrond"

Finduilas frowned. "Not even Lord Elrond? 'Tis impossible! Nothing can be kept from him!"

Elladan grinned. "Oh really?" he asked mischievously.

Finduilas sighed. "Okay, we did manage to conceal the fact that it was our fault that some of Lady Arwen's things had gone missing"

"So it was you three!" Erestor commented, his eyebrows raised. "I always suspected..."

"That was a long time ago!" Elrohir said angrily. "Now about these clues... Do you know where they are?"

"I'm afraid not" Erestor replied. "We are going to have to search if these scrolls truly must be found. But I see no need for them at the moment..."

"Except for the fact that a certain someone denied his own daughter of the great knowledge that could be gained from them?" spat Finduilas.

Erestor sighed. He could not keep Finduilas from something that was truly hers. After Gwindor's leaving, and Finduilas being the only remaining member of that family, those scrolls where rightfully in her charge. If she deemed it neccessary to find them, then they must. But Erestor still did not agree with the fact that they were needed. "Very well" he said reluctantly. "But we should rest first. Our search will be long"

Agreement to this statement sounded, and the group slowly dispersed.

Finduilas made her way toward the door. "Goodnight, Erestor" she called over her shoulder.

"Goodnight, Finduilas" he called in reply; and, after she was out of range of hearing he whispered "My love"

Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 12:19
(( Irel, first you say my character is deep and now it's Mary-Sueish, what gives? Second it is entirely possible that my character's birht was not mentioned as she is not of royal blood. All 3, including the one that hasn't happened yet are of royalty or nobility. And oh well...that's my character. She's half-elf whether or not.))

Feanar quietly listened to the conversation, not giving her opinion as she felt it was not hers to give. She observed the banter between Finduilas and Erestor, realizing that both sides were right in what had transpired but not wanting to get in the middle stayed silent.

After awhile Erestor mentioned rest and everyone nodded gratefully. Hearing her friend's reply to Finduilas hurt, but she accepted it and left to her room. "Goodnight 'Stor." She said and walked away, "Sleep well my beloved, " she whispered before entering her room and preparing for sleep.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2004 04:17
((Okay. Sorry. Finduilas actually is rather Mary Sue-ish. Eleven of the answers on the test were Yes for her... :blush: Personally, I think that test is bunk. Beauty can be countered by the flaw of vanity, intelligence or special powers by the flaws of arrogance and pride... you get the idea))
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2004 10:45
Feanar woke the next morning feeling a little better. Getting up she dressed in her black tunic and leggings with a dark brown jerkin. As customary, her long hair was put into a long braid. Feeling anxious to get started on the quest the half-elf walked to the library to see Erestor already there.

"You are awake early mellon nin! The sun has not yet risen and here you are working."

Erestor looked up slightly startled by Feanar's presence. "Actually I am not really working so much as helping with our journey. Much needs to be done and duties to be provisioned."

"That is true. I am hungry would you like to break your fast with me?"

Erestor shook his head. "Nay, I have already done that. Be quick though because everyone else shall e coming soon."

The elleth nodded and hurried to the Dining Hall. She took a plate, piled some food on it, and sat down to eat in silence.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 09:11
Finduilas waltzed into the Dining Hall along with a gust of wind, desperatly trying to comb leaves and twigs out of her hopelessly tangled hair. She caught sight of Feanar staring at her strangely and flushed red with embarressment.

"What on Arda were you up to?" Feanar asked.

"I... was... out riding" Finduilas gasped as if she had been running hard. She took a few breaths then continued. "It starting raining when I was far from the indoors. My horse bolted, he is terrified of getting wet, prissy thing. I had to hurry back on foot"

A pool of water was slowly collecting at Finduilas' feet.

"Aha" Feanar commented "But, it started raining before sunrise, it stopped a while ago"

Finduilas nodded. "I hardly slept. The woods called to me. I have been out most of the night and early morning. A disturbing dream would trouble my sleep whenever I dozed off". A twinge of something other then annoyance of getting caught out in the rain crept into Finduilas' voice. It sounded like fear or dread to Feanar.

"What was it about?" questioned Feanar.

"I was walking through the woods, then climbing a steep hill til I reached the top, from where a waterful flowed. I was perched on the edge, as if I wanted to fall. Then I looked down and saw a dark-haired ellon sleeping under a tree. The queer thing was, I felt like I was looking at a mirror. His face was shaped like mine, save that his nose was more round and his lips smaller. Then he opened his eyes and I saw that they were emerald green, like my own used to be, before a swim in a magicked pool lightened them. I took a step back, as if I changed my mind about falling to the icy waters and sharp rocks below. But the ground I stood upon crumbled, and I fell. Then I woke up. Throughout the dream, I felt like something was gone, and that fact was destroying my dream-self. Like sorrow or guilt, the things that slowly drive away sanity"

Feanar saw that Finduilas' eyes were filled with horror and dread as she told of her dream.

"My visions of the future have always come to me in a dream" Finduilas said, her voice laced with terror "Is this a vision of my death? Or just a dream inspired by the fear I felt when I discovered that the scrolls were missing?"

"Erestor would know" said Feanar quietly.

"You're right" Finduilas agreed "He is in the Library, is he not?"

Feanar nodded. "As always"

A smile shone through Finduilas' fright. "As always"

Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2004 10:29
Feanar went back to eating and soon finished. She stood and accompanied Finduilas toward the library where as usual Erestor was bent over parchment writing in haste.
You should take a break more often mellon nin."

"Once again you have startled me!" Erestor looked up somewhat disposed.

"I can not help it, you are so easy and fun to frighten! It's the only time i see you show emotion. Speaking of emotion, Finduilas had a strange dream." Feanar stepped back and took a chair next to the one Finduilas took while she listened again to the strange contents of the dream. Erestor leaned back in the chair and the elleth coiul not help but feel a bit more of her heart crumbling. Angrily she steeled herself against the emotions whirling inside and listened to her dear advisor's thoughts on the contens of Finduilas' dream/premonition.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 04:30
"Describe to me again the elf you saw" Erestor asked.

Finduilas did so.

"I had a dream about this elf you saw also, but I do not wish to share the rest"

"Then it is a vision!" wailed Finduilas "I am going to die!"

"Not neccisarily" Erestor said quickly "Only that part might be." It pained Erestor to lie to his love, but it pained him more to tell her of her fate.

Just then the door swung open, and Eruant and Eruannon walked in.

"So, our little brother who hides behind books all day is going on an adventure?" Eruant said, smiling.

Erestor nodded.

"We'd come if the Lady Arwen didn't need bodyguards on her trips to Lothlorien" Eruannon's voice was sad. "The Lady annoys me with her whispery voice and near-empty head"

Finduilas gasped. "No-one has dared insult her so!"

Erestor sighed, thankful that his brother's sharp toungue had saved him from deeper lies.

Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 08:57
((Couldn't think of much...sorry)

Feanar knew Erestor was lying, the 'smell' was coming off him in waves. She also knew though to keep it quiet if he si wished and instead paid attention to the guards that hd walked in the door.

She didn't recognize them but vageuly andjust sat in quietness while the others carried on unaware of a elf sitting right in their midst. She was used to that happening though, she could be so quiet that others would scarce know she was there.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2005 09:39
Suddenly Erestor noticed than feanar sat in silence.

"I apologize, Feanar, you have not been introduced" he said. "These are my brothers,Eruant and Eruannon"

Feanar smiled at the two as they knelt in turn to kiss her hand.

"I am glad to meet you, fair lady" Eruant said, a twinkle of mischief in his eye.

Eruannon giggled. "He means he's glad he has not seen you before"

Eruant tried to hit Eruannon but he ducked, laughing.

"I'm just joking, Mistress" Eruannon said, safely out of his brothers reach.

"Please, no fighting in here. The books are fragile" Erestor told his brothers.

"Sorry" said Eruant, grinning, "I truly am glad. My only regret is that my foul brother-" in the midst of talking to Feanar, Eruant shot a glare at Eruannon, who smiled innocently "-has also laid his eyes upon you. He is not worthy of gazing upon such beauty"

Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2005 07:41
Feanar smiled at Erestor's brothers, they were more easy-going than Erestor himself but she appreciated the librarian's quietness. She listened with some disdain as Eruant complimented her on her 'beauty' but kindly listened as he was quite striking himself. She couldn't help but chuclking slightly though.

Eruant looked quizzical, "Why do you laugh such?"

Feanar waved her hand, "I appreciate your compliment on my beauty but years of toil and battles have sullied my features. I am no more beautiful than the dirt walked upon by horses." She looked toward Erestor and Finduilas, "Excuse but I should go begin packing our things for when we leave." Feanar felt the emotion from Erestor, but ignored it and left her friends and Eruant and Eruannon to themselves.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2005 11:24
"Feanar, wait!" called Erestor.

The elleth stopped and turned.

"We won't be leaving for a while, we need to find the clue here first. I've mapped it out and found several likely places. We can begin as soon as the others..."

As if on cue, the door opened.
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2005 01:25
Feanar had no choice but to stay now, she really wanted to be alone but for the sake of not being ablt to pass a journey up she took her seat again as the others filed in and took various places. Out of the corner of her eyes the half-elf saw Eruant keep staring at her but she played innocent and pretended like she hadn't seen him looking. She instead paid attention to Erestor's voice telling where the likely spots for the first clue could be.
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 08:58
Finduilas listened attentively. Something about one of the places Erestor mentioned seemed to stick in her mind, but she could not figure out why.

"Why are we going to find this if Gwindor did not want it to be found?" Elrohir asked.

Finduilas dropped her head as Erestor sighed. In her want to find these, she was wasting his time.

"Because something tells me we should" Erestor answered. "Something about this will affect the future of Middle-Earth. Something evil is stirring, though I know not yet what."

Finduilas was startled. That was not the answer she had been expecting. Was he telling the truth, or just keeping the other from getting angry with her?

"Do you fear that it has awoken?" Ereinion asked.

"I do not know. My foresight is rather blurred. Finduilas and Elrond have much clearer visions" said Erestor in reply.

Finduilas blushed as all eyes turned to her.

"If these things that Gwindor hid are so important, why did he leave them in Rivendell? Isn't that just a little too easy?" questioned Linwe.

"Unfortunately, he didn't leave them in Rivendell. I do not know where they are. The clue here will point to the next place. We're to go searching all over the place" Erestor said.

"Joy" muttered someone.

"I think it will be fun" Finduilas said loudly, overhearing the complaint, "I've been feeling rather bored lately. An adventure should do me good"

"Well, sitting here discussing this won't get much done." Erestor announced, sensing that some sort of argument was brewing, "Arradiana and Mallen, in the Hall of Fire, there is are several tapestrys depicting the metalshops of Eregion. Examine them for anything strange. Look behind them, in case there are secret doors or shelves. Elladan, in your sister's bedchamber, there is a set of gold goblets on the mantel. Check the insides for the symbol of three rings encircled with a holly branch. Elrohir, look for the same symbol on silver plates in your fathers chambers. Calma, Linwe, and Ereinion, behind the North Falls is a cave. See if there are any passages leading out. Feanar, in the stables you will find several shields. Look over them for the symbol I described to Elladan. Finduilas, you and I are to serach the South Falls. Come to me there if you find anything."

Finduilas followed Erestor out of the Library and down the pebbled path to the South Falls. As they neared, the roar could be heard, and beads of mists collected in their hair and on their clothes.

"Which is the most likely spot to find the clue?" Finduilas shouted over the Falls.

"All of them" Erestor shouted back.

[Edited on 5/2/2005 by Irêl~utúlië]

[Edited on 16/2/2005 by Irêl~utúlië]
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2005 08:58
Feanar, in the stables you will find several shields. Look over them for the symbol I described to Elladan.

Feanar immediately ran off before Erestor could scarcely mutter the last syllable of Elladan's name. She went to the stables admiring her friend's 'take charge' attitude. That was on of the things she most loved about him.

The wandering elf quiclky located the shields and taking them off one at a time laid them on the ground to better search for the three rings and a holly branch. there were four of them and each one was of immense size. After what appeared to be about three hours she was finally on the last one. This was the most intricate of alland she would have to be careful as ther eyes had already found several similar patterns, a holly bracnh, or the rings or two rings and three holly branches. Whoever hid this secret sure wanted it hard to find...
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 09:15
((Please post everyone!!!!!!))

The rocks were mossy, and Finduilas slipped several times. Erestor grabbed onto her arm to steady her. Once she had regained her blance, he let go. Finduilas dropped her eyes to the ground and tried to ignore the strange feeling that had coursed through when Erestor touched her.

Dripping wet, they slogged into the cave. "So, will everyone find something?" Finduilas asked. Erestor nodded. "Most likely." "Then, how do we know which one is right?'" she wondered. "We test to see if it's the one," Erestor answered. Finduilas was about to ask what the test was when a glimmer of gold caught her eye.

"Erestor!" she said, holding up the golden medallion, "This bears my family's emblym!" Erestor took it from her hands and examined it. "This might be a clue," he said, "But maybe not. we should keep searching, but consider this." Finduilas nodded and kept looking.
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2005 10:56
((Why is no one posting???))

Uncaring of how dark it was beginning to get Feanar resolutely kept up her search of the 3 rings with a holly branch. To aid her she lit a candle and brought it close to the remaining shield and looked carefully looked over the last part of it.

The shield was already parted into four different sections, each with its own story but connecting to each other at the same time. The were various misleading clues already and now she was on the last section. Her eyes scrutinized each square inch of the piece until in the tiny corner where the shield pointed at the bottom was three rings and a holly branch engraved very plainly on the horses hoof. In her mind the half-elf studied the spot into memory and wondered how she didn't find it before, reasoning that everything else around it was so grandiose and ornately detailed that it got washed into the background.

Nodding to herself that it was safely engrained in her mind Feanar stood and ran to the waterfall where Erestor and Finduilas would be. She heard voices and carefully followed them until she came to a flat ledge. So as not to startle either elf she cleared her throat to get attention and waited until one of them turned, it was Erestor. Speaking calmy, "I have found the pattern you are seeking. It is in the shield with the four panels. I will go back to the stable now to ensure no one harms the metalworks in any way." With a nod Feanar carefully found her way down and ran back to the stable to find the shields still in tact. With nothing else to do she went about putting the other three back on the wall where they belonged.

((Hope you don't mind but I took liberty with what the shield looks like.))
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 09:00
((Hello? *hears echo* Where is everybody?))

Thouroughly wet, Finduilas and Erestor slogged back toward the library. They had found three potental leads. "Let's see what the others have found," said Erestor. Finduilas nodded soggily, and they went in.
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2005 07:52
((( I know....it's like they left, or forgot!! I keep checking everyday but it's bad to double post...))

Feanar had found a stablehand on duty and under penalty of begin without somemuch needed bits set the male to watch the shield sinece she figured Erestor would go to the library.

Upon entering she laughed to see the sight Erestor and Finduilas made, doggy, trying to walk but looking more like ducks than elves. Smiling and still chuckling, "Stor go and get changed, you too Finduilas. Both of you look like waterlogged ducks!!! I will handle everyeon while you two are gone!!!" At the protestiing lloks she raised a hand in warning, "None of the that!! GO change, I promise you Ererstor that you shall find a clean library when you return!!" Watching tehm go added a pang in her chest but she smiled to see them walking down the hallway before setting about cleaning up the disarray from earlier.
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2005 09:57
Once in her chambers, Finduilas peeled off her wet dress. Waterlogged ducks indeed! She would not stand for such insults! Finduilas wrang out her hair, then ran a hasty brush through it. She glanced in the mirror. Acceptable. Finduilas grabbed a new gown from her amiore and pulled it on. "Looks like I got dressed in a hurry, but oh well," Finduilas said to herself, then hurried back to the Library.

Erestor made his way to his chambers, chuckling silently about Feanars 'waterlogged ducks' comment. Such things didn't amuse him often, but once in a while something struck him as funny. Erestor quickly changed, wringing out his soggy hair. "Great," he muttered, "Now it's all scrunched." So he brushed it. Satisfied with his appearance, Erestor quickly returned to the Library.

((Hopefully someone will post, they can't all have dissappeared!))
Tindomewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2005 10:15
((Well I haven't disappeared))

Feanar quickly cleaned up the library, straightening books and organizing papers. Even getting some ink and parchment so Erestor could take notes, or someone could take notes anyway!!

She was about to pur some water into goblets,everyone would undoubtedly be very thirsty after their respective searches. She didn't get a chance though as her Noldorin friend and Finduilas walked into the now tidy libary reading area.

((It's hard to get it going with only three characters interacting!!!))
aelin~uial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 04:26
((Where is everybody???? Someone really needs to post besides Tindomewen and myself. Please, please, please?))

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email