Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Ranger's Winter ((slightly scripted but you're welcome to join! see OOC please!))
on: December 26, 2004 02:42
(Ok, I'm using my OC to start this one out. Anyone can join. This takes place during the Quest and the title may change.)

The snow fell lightly on the ground that winter evening, but the wind made it seem colder than it actually was. Antanel pulled her cloak tighter about her shoulders, desperately trying to keep out the cold. Her appearance was a dot of darkness in the glittering white of the snowfall, but that meant nothing to her at the moment. She only wished she could be in one of the warm hobbit holes which she protected. The warmth of the fire and tea would be a welcome experience compared to the bitter cold and night that she was stuck in.

However, watching the border of the Shire was her charge and there was nothing she could do about it. It was her duty as a Ranger to protect the Little Folk from the bigger things in Middle-earth and she wouldn't fail.

Antanel looked at her poor attempts at a fire and shivered. The ground was too wet for her to actually succeed in lighting a fire. If only Strider were there; he would be able to do anything to keep her warm. Antanel smiled. Strider was like a brother to her and she missed him dearly. Ever since he left for Bree she hadn't heard any news of him, though he did look more worried than usual. Probably Gandalf's doing, she thought.

Just then, Antanel heard disgusting snarls from the hills behind her. She gripped her sword hilt, ready for anything those dastardly orcs threw her way. The snarls and growls grew louder and she drew her sword confidently. Many times she had faced orcs, many times she had defeated them.

As the first one came down the hill headed straight for her, she slashed and gracefully felled the beast. More and more came and she dispatched each one, almost as a deadly dance. Finally, there was only one remaining; one who looked twice as big and ugly as the other brutes. But Antanel wasn't afraid. To show the enemy fear was one thing that she knew you could never do and live to see another day.

She saluted the orc with her sword and, taking a deep breath, proceeded to get rid of it. However, this orc was the leader of the orc band and therefore fought more bravely and harder than the others. Antanel noticed this and drove on with all her might. One thing she failed to notice was that she was dangerously close to the edge of the hill.

Unexpectedly, the orc threw itself at Antanel, causing her to jump back in surprise and then roll down the steep incline. And as luck would have it, at the bottom of the hill was an extremely thick tree trunk which Antanel slammed straight into.

She dared not move lest the orc see her or she hurt herself even more than she already was. The pain in her back was terrible and she could feel herself slip into unconsciousness.

~*~

OOC Thread-- http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=20335

[Edited on 17/1/2005 by Antanel]
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ranger's Winter ((slightly scripted but you're welcome to join! see OOC please!))
on: December 26, 2004 04:00
(OOC: hey, funny i was able to catch this one when i did...my chara's a ranger girl too!!)

Riding swiftly through the harsh winter winds, she pulled her cloak about her for some small amount of extra warmth. It had been a long day. She had run across a band of orcs with a small contingent of smaller Wargs, the likes of whom were easily dealt with when they came. She shifted her weight in the saddle, slightly easing the pain in her thigh from an orc arrow.

"It could be poisened", she thought to herself. "You should have treated it hours ago"

"Aye, and lose precious daylight, wonderful", her other side thought.

Nearing the end of the small forest, she pressed her black mare to hurry, hoping to reach the relative safety of Hobbiton soon.

Just as she came around a hill, several orcs leapt from the opposite side. Using her momentary surprise to their advantage, one orc slashed at her leg. Her mare lashed out with its front legs just in time, catching the evil being in the head, killing it instantly. Recovering from her surprise the rangeress drew her sword and cleaved the heads off of the two nearest orcs, and challanged the rest of them. As she fought, she noticed that most seemed to be preoccupied with something happening just beyond the next hill. Driving her sword into the last of the orcs in sight, she nudged her horse into action, riding over the hill to see what was happening.

A ranger, cloaked similar to herself fought with a large orc who was driving them to the edge of the hill. A quick glance around showed that whoever it was could hold their own just fine. When she looked back, the orc threw himself at the ranger, throwing them off the hill and out of sight.

Before he could do anything, the orc was impaled from behind by a sharp sword. As it left his body, he fell to the ground. Looking over the hill, she could see a body by a large tree at the bottom of the hill. Realizing that they must have hit hard she rode down, dismounted and ran to the body. When she was close enough, she saw that the ranger was a woman, as herself. Surprised, but unpreturbed, she checked for a pulse.

"Still alive", she thought.

Checking for broken bones, she found none, but the impact of the fall had sent the woman into unconsciousness. Carefully lifting the fallen ranger, she listened for any noises that would alert her of danger nearby. Hearing nothing, she made her way towards the nearest Hobbit-Hole.

As she drew near, the woman stirred. Not wanting to alarm her, the rangeress calmly told her, "Fear not, I am here to help."

"Who are you?" the woman asked, confused.

"Erlindë, Rangeress of the North" she said, smiling. "Not too unlike yourself, I gather"

(OOC: eep...way too long; many apologies...i'll try to keep it short next time...but there was alot to be done so...)
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ranger's Winter ((slightly scripted but you're welcome to join! see OOC please!))
on: December 27, 2004 06:14
(OOC: Don't worry about the length; mine was long too! Good to see someone found this!)

Antanel took a shuddering breath. So she had been rescued by a woman. A Rangeress at that, too. If Strider ever found out, she'd never hear the end of it.

"My back," she muttered.

Erlindë looked down at the other woman. "You hit that tree really hard," she explained.

Antanel winced as a new surge of pain affected her. "Where are you taking me?"

"The nearest Hobbit-hole. We're both going to need some rest after tonight."

Antanel gathered enough strength to look at her rescuer. Indeed her thigh was bleeding freely and needed immediate care. "Stop the horse."

Erlindë gave the woman a strange look. Antanel continued, "You need that bandaged. I can do it for you."

"But your back!"

Antanel was getting annoyed. "Your leg will get infected if it's not taken care of right now."

(OOC: I hope I wrote Erlindë alright. If not, just tell me and I'll try and fix it!)
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2004 04:13
(OOC: hey, if you don't mind long posts, i won't worry about it...i was havin fun...i'm glad you started this! )

The woman in front of Erlindë groaned and stirred. She shifted her position to keep a grip on the other ranger.

"My back..." the woman muttered.

"Aye, you hit that tree very hard," Erilindë explained

"Where are you taking me?"

"To the nearest hobbit hole. We're both going to need some rest after tonite."

The woman in the saddle before her slowly took a look at what she could see of Erlindë; unfortunately, the open wound was easily spotted.

"Stop the horse," the woman said.

Erlindë looked at her, knowing what she wanted, but hoping she wouldn't really have to comply. The wound had begun to bleed freely with the sudden activity it had endured, but the Rangeress was eager to get to safety and warmth first.

"You need that bandaged. I can do it for you."

"But your back," she started, hoping to stall the situation.

"Your leg will get infected if it is not taken care of right now," the other woman said.

"We will be within safe halls within minutes, it will be treated there. You sustained an injury yourself, one that I prefer not to aggravate. I will not stop, we are close now," Erlindë said firmly. She was a stubborn sort, having grown up with the Rangers, and would not be easily persuaded.

Speaking to her mare, she pressed it onwards, knowing that Bag End was close. As the road bent around, and the Hole came in sight, Erlindë could see, there were no lights on. "Strange, Bilbo always has at least one light on all night." Knowing that they needed to hurry, she pushed aside the thought for later.

Riding up, she slid off the horse, still favoring the wounded leg. Helping the other woman off of the horse, they supported each other to the small door of the Hobbit Hole. No one appeared to be in. They went in, knowing that Bilbo would welcome the protecters of the Shire.

Stumbling to a sofa just large enough to fit her, Erlindë hissed as she pulled back the makeshift dressing she had put on. Already, it was red and hot to the touch. Before either of them could do anything, she thought that a rather late introduction.

"Well, you know my name, but I have yet to know your", she said.

(OOC: hey, you did Erlindë just fine...i mean, nothing *really* amazing was happening at the time, so it really didn't matter. i have yet to figure out how to post, but not write for the other character, and still help things move along...for my part, i'll try hard to keep your chara to you....and i'll do mine, so that way, we're just working those 2 together. so far, its doing ok )
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 06:04
(OOC: Long posts are good! Don't worry if you write my character, I'm pretty easy-going. This is my first time RPing, so I hope I'm doing ok)

"Well, you know my name, but I have yet to know yours," Erilindë said.

Antanel was surprised at the abrupt question and took a few moments to answer. "Oh, sorry. I'm Antanel."

"It's good to meet you."

Antanel nodded and moved toward Erilindë's leg. The wound was beginning to reek and she turned away to retrieve some bandages from her bag when she noticed the foliage she had wrapped up. "Did an orc give you that gash?" she asked.

The other woman nodded.

"Well, then it's time to break out the athelas. You never know what those foul creatures put on their blades."

"The fire's cold...I-I don't understand..."

Antanel thought of what Strider told her before he left for Bree. "The old hobbit had enough, I'm afraid. He couldn't stand not being able to have adventures. But there's another. He has It, Nel, and Gandalf will stop at nothing to make sure both of them are safe. I'm going to Bree to make sure it all goes as planned." "Rivendell..."

Erilindë looked at Antanel strangely. "You're saying Bilbo went to Rivendell."

Antanel nodded and continued. "But that was years ago. There was a younger Baggins, Frodo, who left recently, only a few months ago. I don't know when either of them will come back." Erilindë said nothing. "Strider told me before he ventured off to Bree." Antanel lit a small candle to fight off the darkness. "Now to find a bowl."

But before either woman could do anthing, the round door opened and a young hobbit lass entered, shocked to find inhabitants. She let out a yelp of surprise and an older hobbit lady ambled over to her.

"Rosie, what is it?"

(OOC: Kind of a strange turn of events, but oh well. It was long!)
white_tower
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 02:50
((sorry this one's short but i couldn't do much more without some interaction going on...this story looks good))
Rosie was just about to enter bag end and water the houseplants. Sam ha ased her to look after frodo's beloved plants in his stead. Rosie was quick to accept...she always enjoyed caring for things, be it a child or a plant.
This evening she had brought her mother with her for some company. Such a big hobbit-hole got lonely at times.
osie reached out to the door and gently pushed it open. Intruders!
"Mother quick. There's burglars in here! And big-folk they are! Quick run back home...ring the alarm! Help!Help!"
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 03:37
(OOC: Welcome, white_tower! I take it you're going to be Rosie, from now on. And you can interact with my character, I'm not that picky )

Antanel began to lose her cool. This couldn't be happening, not when they needed peace and quiet and care. She had to intervene. "Wait, please! Just hear us out!"

Rosie visibly shook out of fear and would have done more than yell for help if those Big Folk weren't so tall. She began to back up to the open door as if to leave, but Antanel spoke again. "Please, we're hurt and were only looking for someone who obviously isn't here. We thought Mister Baggins would still be here. Please, miss, we're not going to hurt you or anyone else."

Rosie looked sceptical. "Mister Frodo left on some adventure. You won't find them here. Why are you hurt?" She looked at the womens' swords. "Don't hurt me, please."

Antanel followed the hobbit's line of sight and took off her sword belt, painfully setting it on the ground. "We were fighting terrible evils that you shouldn't worry about. I rolled into a tree and she has a stab wound. What we really need is a pot and a fire to heat some water with. I can take care of the other woman, if you'll help me."

Rosie's eyes were wide. She opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. However, there was a disturbance on the doorstep of Bag End. A handful of hobbit archers had arrived along with Mayor Whitfoot and Mrs. Cotton, all looking angry that some Big Folk would dare make themselves at home in a hobbit hole.

Rosie, instead of stepping aside to let the group enter, turned to them and began to explain.

(OOC: I hope you enjoy this little update!)
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 04:29
(OOC: dang, wish my dad didn't kick me off the comp before, or i woulda had an update before Rosie popped in )

Aye, an orc gave me the gash, but I gave him death in return, thought Erlindë darkly. Things even out.

"The fire's cold..." she said. That never happens in Bag End. If anything has happened to old Bilbo, or Frodo while I was away...
"I-I don't understand"

"Rivendell" the other woman spoke, almost absently

"Your saying they went to Rivendell?" Erlindë questioned. Bilbo would love to return to Rivendell, but what of Frodo?

She sat silently as the other woman, called Antanel, lit a candle and explained what Strider had told her of the missing Hobbits. So she knows of Strider as well....how fortunate, I can finally talk of him rationally with someone she inwardly laughed.

Suddenly, the door flew open. A spritely little blonde Hobbit stood in the door and gasped in surprise at what she found.

(i'm just gonna skip everything else that happened in between ((think, short!)) )

As Rosie stepped outside to explain the situation to the slightly irritable Hobbits outside the door, Erlindë noticed bemusedly at how much the other ranger's performance strikingly resembled Strider's. Must have been around him during battle; I know how he is....this could be very interesting, she smiled at the sudden turn of events.

Deciding to begin treating the gash in her leg, she ripped the legging enough to work around the wound. Reaching for the unattended athelas in the Antanel's pouch nearby, she winced as she inadvertantly put pressure on the torn muscle.

Seeing the confusion with the Hobbits taken care of by the other woman, she watched Antanel prepare a fire for some hot water.

"How long have you ridden with the rangers?" she queried. "You sound like you've picked up some of Strider's peacekeeping techniques," she smiled.
white_tower
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 05:12
When the rest of the hobbits were sure there was no threat to their peace, Rosie sent them back to their respective homes. Mrs Cotton followed them, too much excitement for an old hobbit.
Feeling obliged to be a hostess, Rosie sheepishly walked in and shut the door.
"There's some wood in the next room, that should help with the fire. And you'll find the kettle in there too."
Rosie walked over to where the injured lady sat. She looked down at the wound and nearly fainted in shock. She had never seen a stab wound before, and she didn't hold well with the sight of blood at all. After sitting down and breathing deeply, Rosie got to grips with herself."
"The ...thing that did that to you...is it still alive?"
Her voice was laced with worry. There had been some talk of strange goings on outside the shire. Not being a one for gossip Rosie had shrugged it off. But this new discovery could fare badly for the shire.
It was most weird. The only big folk to come to the shire were from Bree, and hardly any of them were women. And such messy clothes they wore. It looked like they hadn't had a good wash in weeks.
Rosie found it all quite strange.
"
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2004 06:03
"The ...thing that did that to you...is it still alive?"

"No," Erlindë quietly replied to the nervous Hobbit. It was clear she was not one to care for wounds often.

"Poor thing, I fear we've put her through a great deal tonite."

"You are very blessed, miss, to live such a realm, where life goes on the way it is meant to. But that is the mission of our kind," gesturing to Antanel. "We protect your lands from creatures that would inflict great evil on your homes and loved ones," she explained to the Hobbit. "But I am certain you already knew that much," she smiled down at the Hobbit maid.

[Edited on 29/12/2004 by Lady~Shay]
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 02:21
"How long have you ridden with the rangers?" she queried. "You sound like you've picked up some of Strider's peacekeeping techniques," she smiled.

Antanel was surprised to hear the name of Strider come from someone else's lips. Then she remembered why she even knew the man at all. All because of one unfortunate event. "I see I'm not the only one who knows Strider," she said, still tending to the fire. "I've known him for three and twenty years, ever since my village was attacked by orcs. My father was killed and my mother-" Here she stopped, thinking of what could have happened to her mother. Was she dead? Somewhere dangerous?

Would she be able to recognize her own daughter if the time came?

Antanel took a deep breath and continued. "My mother sent me off to find a better life for myself. I had heard my father tell of the Rangers and his adventures while with them--he was a Ranger in his younger days--and I wanted to join them. I met Strider and we've been close ever since. And yes, he has kind of rubbed off on me." She chuckled quietly.

Erlindë nodded, finally knowing how the other woman was connected to the Dunedain.

Antanel looked back at the little hobbit. Rosie was ashen-faced and seemed a bit sick. The Ranger finally got some sparks to burn the tinder and walked awkwardly toward Rosie.

"I'm sorry, we haven't properly introduced ourselves. You're Rosie..."

"Cotton," she said confidently.

Antanel smiled and introduced herself, then Erlindë did the same. This certainly was going to be an odd winter. As the night wore on, Antanel dressed Erlindë's wound and Rosie helped her into bed.

(OOC: My character is in the database if anyone was wondering. )

[Edited on 31/12/2004 by Antanel]
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 05:51
Erlindë listened to the other ranger's account of life with the rangers. "Good to know I am not the only woman in history to ride with the Dùnedain" She nodded when Antanel was finished.

"...and I am Erlindë, Rangeress of the North," she introduced herself when Antanel had finished. "Rosie, tell me, how long have Bilbo and Frodo been away? I have met Bilbo before, and heard much of Frodo, but why would they leave the Shire? Practically unthinkable for some in these parts." I believe she had mentioned it was a few weeks ago. I would like to know for sure....Strider had left around that time. I wonder how closely the events are connected.
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 10:54
(OOC: I hope it's still alright that i join...if not, just ignore this...)

Daergo had been riding on Sta, his dark brown horse, for about two days when he reached the Shire. He had a message from some man he met in Bree to bring to someone by the name of Antanel, who would be found in the Shire. This message was informing the people of the Shire, mainly Antanel, that there were some orcs heading towards the border of the shire.

Once Daergo entered the Shire, he realized that he did not know who this Antanel looked like, besides from probably being taller than the hobbits.... He looked around, looking for someone tall but he saw no one.

A hobbit noticed him as he jumped off his horse and asked, "Can I help you? You seem troubled."

"I'm looking for someone by the name of Antanel, do you know where I may find her?"

The hobbits face lit up as he said, "Of course I know where she is! I was just at her hobbit hole after an alarm went off. I'll show you where she is, then?"

Daergo was wondering what the alarm would be for, but instead of asking, he just nodded and followed the hobbit. When they arrived at the hobbit hole, Daergo thanked the hobbit and led his horse to the grass near the house. He then walked up to the door and knocked loudly, hearing some people talking inside.
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 06:02
(OOC: hey LaecelaRose, nice to see a new face )

Rosie had just opened her mouth to answer Erlindë's question, when a loud knock was heard at the door.

Tensing instinctively, Erlindë groped for her sword, finding that she had taken it off when she reclined on the sofa to care for her wound. She looked up and saw Antanel ready with her daggers, as a sword in the doorway could be a bit difficult. Antanel nodded to Rosie, silently telling her to answer the door.

The young hobbit walked cautiously to the door, knowing that another hobbit would have stated their name rather loudly, even at the time of night that it was.

Rosie pulled open the door, and Erlindë listened anxiously, feeling acutely helpless after the numbing herbs that Antanel had used. She listened closely for sounds of the newcomer.
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 03:51
Daergo waited for the door to open, and was a bit surprised when he saw a hobbit answer. "Are you...Antanel?" he asked, very shocked for he was not expecting a hobbit. Rosie shook her head no. Daergo looked behind him to see if the hobbit who led him was still there, but that hobbit had left. Daergo was very confused.

He looked at Rosie, and was about to say something when a strong gust came along for a moment and the door blew open a bit more. This revealed to Daergo two women who did not look like they very welcoming.

"Uhh...Are either of you Antanel?" he stuttered, knowing very well that he was horrible in fighting and defending himself, and these women looked like they were able to defend themselves very well. They stood silent for a moment, looking anxious so he added, "I must find her, I have a message to give. I have word that there is a group of orcs heading towards the Shire. I was told Antanel was here watching the borders..." He faded out after a while to let them speak, his eyes shifting all over the place in nervousness.
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 04:23
Daergo was nervous, a blind man could see that. Since Erlindë was already laying down, Antanel decided to take matters into her own hands. Gripping her daggers tightly she asked, "What does it mean to you if either of us is this Antanel?"

The man ran a hand through his hair and stuttered, "Some man told me to find you, went by the name of Strider or some nonsense like that."

Antanel and Erlindë exchanged a quick glance and Antanel ordered Daergo to close the door. Slowly advancing toward him, for Antanel was still in a bit of pain, she ushered him to sit near the fire.

Once he was seated (though squirming because of his nervousness) Antanel collapsed into a nearby chair and looked at him sternly. "I am Antanel. Now, tell me everything Strider said to tell me and possibly the other circumstances around your meeting."

(OOC: I hope I got Daergo's characterization right, I try to stay true to what the database says, so if anything's wrong, I'll try to correct it!)
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 05:41
"Some man told me to find you, went by the name of Strider or some nonsense like that."

At the mention of Strider's name, Erlindë and Antanel exchanged quick glances. Knowing that Antanel would take care of the situation, Erlindë decided to question Daergo once he was finished telling his story.

I would say he happened in at the right moment; it seems Strider could be in things thicker than I had imagined. she thought.

Pushing herself up further on the sofa, she sat upright, holding the bandage to her leg with one hand. Staring intently on the man speaking, she listened closely to his account of the errand he was on.
Laisi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 08:01
((could i join? I'll put my character in the db asap))

Ardan dismounted and landed lightly on his feet before the startled hobbits on the road. He looked around quickly for those he was searching for. A quick scan led his eyes to a hobbit hole to his right. A figure too tall for a hobbit had just stepped inside.

Ardan jogged quickly to the hobbits home and knocked on the door.

[Edited on 5/1/2005 by Laisi]
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 11:47
(OOC: Of course you're welcome here, Laisi! I'll be interested as to what you'll do in here . Also, you can check out the OOC thread if you wish to discuss anything or figure out what Lady~Shay and I are "planning" lol)

(sorry, no update right now, creative juices aren't really flowing)

[Edited on 5/1/2005 by Antanel]
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 12:54
(OOC: welcome Laisi! your a Vardian...cool )

(um, Antanel, are you tryin to say you've got writer's block? )

The stranger, had said he was on errand for a man, by the name of *knock, knock*.

My, we gather quite a crowd when it is time for story, Erlindë thought.

In stepped a tall man, slightly wet, for it had begun to rain. He looked around the room with searching eyes, lighting on the 3 women in the room, and the tall figure he had seen entering moments before.

"I would welcome you, but this home is not mine. Nevertheless, it looks as though you are looking for someone. This one," she said, gesturing towards Daergo, "has found that whom he sought. What business have you to find someone in the Shire, friend?"
white_tower
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 01:04
After a few moments of standing in the doorway feeling rather bemused, Rosie shut the door and went into the kitchen to put on the kettle and get out some cakes that had been left behind. After all, you can't let guests go hungry and it ave her an excuse to leave the room. She still felt a bit queasy about the wound and felt she would et in there way. Besides, they seemed to be talking about confidential topics. She wasn't one to intrude...but then a hobbit never can resist a bit of gossip.

She heard a quick snippet of the conversation from the living room and couldn't help but enquire.
"Begging your pardon my ladies but... did you say Strider? Only I think I've heard of him. I remember talking to Gandalf once about someone by that name. I believe he told me he was a protector of the goodness of the shire-folk, much like yourselves. He said he was a tall man, dark hair, but a bit dishevelled? Would I be wrong in presuming this is who you're talking about?"

There had been a few whispers from hobbits travelling back from stays in Bree. Many a time a travelling hobbit bumped into him on their way home, and It would certainly make sense if he was trying to protect them. Some folk thought he was a thief. Rosie would be proud to find out the truth of this mysterious character. She longed to be a popular source of gossip and news.

But before she could get her answer another knock came at the door. Once more the manageresses hands slid to their weapons.Daergo jumped at the sound. Taking a nod from Antanel as her cue, Rosie once more went to open the door.
Laisi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 01:49
((thanks! I'll check the OOC, sorry, I didn't realise there was one))

Ardan stood outside and waited for the sound of footsteps to the door. When it opened, he was greeted by a little she-hobbit. Smiling graciously, he ducked inside. He did not notice Rosie looking at him strangely. Nor did he realise that elves were uncommon in these parts.

Swiftly casting his eyes across the room, they fell on the man that had just stepped inside. Nodding his head in greeting to the rangers, he introduced himself.

"Ardan, of Rivendell," he said quietly, looking at each closely. "I was sent as a reinforcement. I heard there were injuries?"

His eyes fell upon Antanel, grimacing with pain, and Elrinde clutching her leg. "I have some skill in healing. Maybe I can help."

He set his sword down and checked out the window that his horse was where he'd left him. Then, pulling his hood down, he waited for their assent before beginning the process of healing.
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 05:09
"Ardan, of Rivendell," he said quietly, looking at each closely. "I was sent as a reinforcement. I heard there were injuries?"

Antanel gave him a suspicious glance and even though her back protested her defensive stance, she would not sit down and show weakness. Too many strangers were coming to their exact location and she was not feeling good about the loss of secrecy of she and Erlindë's life-mission.

She asked Ardan, "Who sent you? And why would an Elf care about the goings-on of the Rangers?" She wanted answers and she wanted them now.

(OOC: Shay, I did have a teensy-weensy bit of wb...but I got over it Wow, this was short)
Laisi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 08:05
((Could we make it that Daergo and i have met before? It'd work a little better I think. If not, I'll change it.))
Noting the hostility, Ardan raised his eyebrows slightly.

"I am only half elven, though you cannot see it in my face. My father was a ranger. I believe you are good friends with one whom you call Strider?"

Again, he watched as the rangers exchanged looks.
"I grew up with him in Rivendell. We were great friends. As for why I care about your affairs, I am a ranger myself."

Daergo, the man standing in the corner, whom Ardan previously hadn't spoken to.
"Do you remember me, my friend?" he asked him, "We met once, in the wild. I was with elves at the time, You may not recall, we spoke a while."
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 05:31
((OOC: yah, its alright that they've met before))

Daergo was about to tell Antanel what he was sent to tell, but was interrupted by a knock. In walked an elf whom Daergo recognized. His eyes widened for a moment, out of recognition of the elf and of curiosity of his coming.

When asked if Daergo remembered Ardan, Daergo nodded. "Yes, I do remember you. With the elves, it was before I went to Bree and saw Strider." At the mention of Strider's name, Daergo noticed the rangeresses glances and remembered that he hasn't told the message to Antanel yet.

"Strider, I saw him." Well, that was obvious he thought to himself, and then quickly said before he got any strange looks, "He told me to inform you that there were some orcs heading this way. He sounded rushed, like he was in a hurry to go somewhere but needed to stay for something, I'm not sure..." he looked around at everyone, a bit less nervous than before, but curious as to why everyone seemed to be so interested in this strange, dark man Strider.

((OOC: sorry its kind of short, but i'm not sure of what to write right now...))
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 06:05
(OOC: hello new characters! sorry i haven't been on lately...R/L's been hitting me hard...'nuff said)

And now we are in the company of half-elven ranger and an old friend of his, a ranger also. We could call ourselves a company should we travel anywhere together...oh yes, *that* would be interesting...

Erlindë noticed that Rosie looked slightly uncomfortable. She smiled at the pretty little hobbit lass when she spoke from the doorway to the kitchen.

So, Strider's been about these parts, and with Gandalf no doubt. I have a feeling something very great indeed is upon us. Though we should probably tell Rosie a bit about Strider to ease her mind.

Arden, the half-elven ranger, had offered his aid with their wounds.
"Antanel has cared for my wounds, and I think you will not find any error in her doings", she said, fully trusting her new friend, for some reason she did not yet know. "But I had not the chance to see to her. She took a fall and landed against a tree. There could be some fractures, and possibly internal bleeding that has not presented itself," she glanced and smirked at Antanel, who gave her a sour look for telling of her injuries. "All for the best my friend."

Then Daergo after a few brief words with the 'peredhel', spoke of Strider at last.

"There is more, isn't there. Daergo, you had said you were sent here to give Antanel a message, now let's have it," she said. "You didn't travel all this way for nothing. For my part, I should like to know what things are happening concerning our captain. He was, and still is a leader of the Dùnedain."

She waited for the nervous man to speak, motioning for Rosie. The hobbit looked unsure if it was the right time to bring in some cakes and tea. "Its alright, Rosie," she whispered, "we trust that you will know what to share and what to keep safe," winking at the young lass.
Laisi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 12:47
Ardan looked at Antanel for permission to see to her wounds.

"I was trained by Lord Elrond himself, you know,"he said quietly and with a small smile," If you'd trust him with your wounds, and if you'd trust Strider with you wounds, then trust me."

Looking around the room, he marvelled at how small everything was. this was his first visit to a hobbit home and it was quite an experience. Several times he had to stop himself from straightening and hitting his head. Many of those times he failed. Rubbing his head, Ardan waited for Antanel's consent.
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 05:08
(OOC: Sorry I haven't been on for a while either...school is evil. The End. Also, I was wondering if anyone was interested in making some of this romance? Sorry, hopeless romantic talking, lol.)

Antanel hated to show her weaknesses to other people, especially strangers, but she was in enough pain to give in this once. Turning to the half-Elf she said coldly, "I can see that you may need more healing with your head than I do with my back." Then her expression turned a shade friendlier. "But because of your experience with Elrond I will give in this time. But not before I delight in some good hobbit recipes." And with that she plucked a cake right off of Rosie's tray.

Ardan looked at the woman with an amused expression. "Let's see your back, then, and get this over with."

Antanel froze in mid-bite of her cake as Ardan spoke. Swallowing she spoke up again. "Oh no, not in front of all these people. I may be a Ranger, but I do have a sense of propriety. Rosie, surely there's a spare bedroom in this humble abode I can use?"

The lass nodded. "Second door on the right down that hallway."

Antanel saluted her with the half-eaten cake and continued down the hallway, Ardan following. Once they reached the spare room and closed the door for privacy, Antanel took off her leather jerkin and sat down on the under-sized bed. She sighed, trying to take everything in, everything she had heard in a matter of minutes. Then Ardan cleared his throat and brought her out of the trance. She looked back at him, worried. Finally, she nodded her head as a sign for him to check her back.

Ardan sat on the other side of the bed and gently lifted up the back of Antanel's linen shirt. Her skin was scraped and raw, some areas had bled, and the half-Elf could see that her back was starting to bruise. Ardan turned away to rummage around in a bag and took out a salve. When he began to apply it, Antanel gasped.

"Did I hurt you?" he asked.

Antanel shook her head and looked over her shoulder as she spoke. "No, it's just that whatever you have is cold...and so are your hands."

"I am sorry. I fear I am not wholly accustomed to winter. In Imladris, it rarely snows, so my supplies aren't cold." Antanel watched him work with awe in her eyes. Ardan was not fully Elf, yet his movements mimicked them. Strider even did that sometimes.

"You have beautiful eyes, Ardan," she said. He looked up at her and cocked an eyebrow. "Please, let me apologize, I spoke out of place."

Ardan laughed. "Don't be sorry, I've known many people who have said the same thing." He finished dressing Antanel's wounds and handed her jerkin back to her. "I didn't sense any other injuries. You should feel better soon."

Antanel and Ardan walked back to the sitting room of Bag End, but before they were in hearing range, Antanel stopped Ardan and apologized. "I was wrong to judge swiftly. I'm afraid that when I'm taken by surprise, I tend to lose my cool."

Ardan smiled at her and continued on. Antanel followed and waited for the next person to speak.

(Yay! Long post, I haven't had one of those in a while!)

[Edited on 10/1/2005 by Antanel]
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 03:43
(OOC: ROTFL @ Antanel HAHAHAHA i knew it i knew it i knew it!!!! for some odd reason, i just *knew* you'd want some portion of romance to be part of the story i getcha...totally....and i'll have more to say in the OOC thread)

Erlindë smiled at the other rangeress as she put off the 'peredhel' with one of Rosie's cakes. Taking one herself, she was surprised to taste the sweetness of such a simple delicacy.

"Rosie, this is wonderful," she praised. "But really, while the others are busy, there is something I would like to know. Antanel and I are going to search for some idea of where Strider has gone, and I do believe that Frodo and Sam are tied with it somehow. Would you trust us enough to tell us if you knew something?" she asked.
"I only wanted to know because I would be honored if you could accompany us to Bree, you know the way best and I think you will be very helpful. What do you say to that?"

As Rosie contemplated the chance of a visit out of Hobbiton, Erlindë glanced as Antanel left the room with Ardan.

Was that a sparkle in her eye?

Shaking out of her thoughts, she looked back to Daergo for the remainder of his explanaition for his errand.

Who would send him all this way?

She pushed herself up on her good knee, hoping to stretch some of the sore muscles under her while Antanel was busy and wouldn't tell her to rest. Aye, as if I haven't heard *that* enough from Strider, himself.
Antanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 04:43
(OOC: LOL, yes I am a romantic *I read Shakespeare for crying out loud* so I had to let that metaphorical cat out out of the bag :disco: We'll see how it goes and what Laisi comes up with. Well, I can't think of what to type right now so I'm off for tonight!

And I love bubble-wrap, POP!)

Antanel :love:
Laisi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 05:16
((Ack!!I've been left behind, sorry! ))
Still mulling over what had happened with Antanel, Ardan settled himself in an empty chair and took a bite into one of Rosies cakes.

"These are great!" He said, savouring the taste of the cake," You certainly are a great cook Rosie."

Smiling at the hobbit, Ardan let his mind wander back to what had happened in the other room. He caught Antanel looking at him, and as their eyes met, Ardan quickly glanced away, not knowing what to think. Hardly hearing what the rest of them were saying, he wondered what was happening between Antanel and himself. Not used to feeling unsure about himself, he tried get distracted by the conversation.

Finally, after a while, Ardan looked at Antanel and asked her quietly how her back was feeling. Antanel shrugged and then grimaced from pain, except this was different. Instead of the old pain, it now burned. Her whole back felt hot. Ardan noted this, nodding, he said,"Good. It'll be well by morning. Meanwhile, you probably shouldn't sleep on your back tonight."
Smiling, he went back to the general conversation, seeming interested, yet somehow, his mind was more focused elsewhere.
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 05:52
(OOC: hey Laisi, don't worry about it...you can always catch up!....and i'm guessing, from the looks of your post that you like the slight romance? WHOO-HOO!! oh this *is* gonna be fun....)

Erlindë watched as Ardan and Antanel reentered the room, Antanel doing a pretty good job of concealing the treatment that Ardan had administered.

As the conversation slowly began again, Erlindë couldn't help but glance at Ardan as he appeared lost in thought. She waited, under the pretense of relaxing.

There! she did glance back! I *will* be speaking to Antanel in private when the opportunity arises. It seems we will be having some unexpected turnouts in our travels, she mused.

"Ardan," she called the peredhel out of his thoughts. "I have already asked this question of Rosie while you were treating Antanel, and I am certain that Antanel will not mind. Will you be willing to travel with us to Bree, and possibly farther? We will be searching for news of the whereabouts of Strider, and of Frodo, I believe. Antanel and I have agreed to leave as soon as possible, we were speaking of it before you arrived. What say you, will you join us?" she asked, smiling at the ranger, awaiting his answer.

It would rather complete our strange little contingent.
Laisi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 06:21
((Fun, fun, fun!! Ardans a bit flirty here))
Ardan felt himself being pulled out of his thoughts by Erlinde, calling his name.

"Well, for one thing," he began, scratching his nose,"We could go to Bree, or we could head directly for Rivendell, which was where Strider and...this Frodo...were expected when I left. They should have arrived by now. It would be a lot quicker."

He paused for a minute, and pretended to consider the offer, then, flashing a teasing smile at all of them,"Of course I'll be joining you. You don't think I'd let you three out by yourselves do you? Just look at what happened last time."

He flashed a glance at Antanel and her back and Erlinde's leg. Antanel scowled and rolled her eyes. Ardan copped a blow on his shoulder from the rangeress, though she was grinning too.

"But of course," he continued, this time looking at the hobbit,"Rosie's the only responsible one here. I don't know what we'd be without you Rosie."

He couldn't resist taking another one of the hobbit's homemade cakes. "Cheers!" he said, and grinned at Rosie before taking a bite out of the cake.
white_tower
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 12:42
Rosie was still thinking about the offer that had been made for her. True, she knew the way to Bree well as she had travelled there many-a-time as a child with her father. She had stayed at most of the inns there and, though daunting at first for a hobbit, she had always been made welcome. No doubt she'd feel safe enough with the others that were to accompany her, seeing how heavily armed they were.

But to leave the Shire, even for a little while, was the downside of what seemed to Rosie to be an adventure. Well, her parents didn't really need her at home. They managed perfectly well by themselves. And her friends wouldn't miss her too much, they were all going off to get married and settle down. And Rosie had nobody to share her love with in her life.

well...what about...No...There's no chance he'd love me...He'd never have left if he had...Oh it's hopeless...Perhaps an adventure like this would be something to concentrate on. It certainly sounds fun

In her long train of thought, Rosie hadn't realised that she was standing there staring at the wall holding a tray now completely empty of cakes.

"Yes...Yes I will come. But what are we doing there? In Bree of course. And where are these other places you speak of. They sound like countries from an old Gaffer's tall tale."

She chuckled at the enchanting stories Bilbo and the other men of the Shire would relate to crowds of little hobbit children at their feet.
Lady~Shay
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 02:48
(OOC: ooo Laisi....have we a flirty peredhel now? )

Erlindë smirked slightly as Antanel dealt Ardan a blow for the good-natured, slightly derisive comment

Oh yes, this *will* be fun.

"Thank you Ardan, and though we are *perfectly* capable of holding our own, I am sure that you are welcomed on our little adventure. But travel to Bree we must; we cannot find all the provisions necessary here in Hobbiton, as it is nearly a 2 week ride to Rivendell on horseback in good weather. We need food, water, and most importantly a horse for Rosie." Turning to the hobbit lass, "And I am very glad that you have decided to come with us. I am sure you it will be quite an adventure for you most of all," she said smiling.

To Rivendell then? I had not expected this turn of events, but it will be good to visit Imladris again...and the twins....aye, it *has* been too long since I was in their company, she smiled at the thought.

"Now, since we have a few things sorted out, I am getting a breath of fresh air," she said, adjusting her position to the simplest, and easiest way in which to rise from the low couch. As she did so, Antanel glared sharply in her direction. "Do not...." Erlindë began, "I will not be subjected to pampering. I am going outside for just a moment."

She hid any slight twinge of pain behind a mask of resolve as she slowly stood. Walking quietly to the door, she made certain not to limp, or be sentanced to the bed for the night.

Stooping low through the round hobbit door, she shut the door behind her. She looked up at the night sky and breathed in deep the rich, sweet smell of the Shire. All she really wanted was to see the stars.

One would think I was an elf, for how much I seek the heavens.

Perhaps there is more to me than even I know.

She walked down the stone path a ways to get a better view of the landscape in the dim light, stretching her wounded leg as she did.

It will be sore for several days, but I can ride. If Strider were here and saw me like this... she rolled her eyes at the thought.

Turning back up the short lane, she had one last thought to commit to the secrecy of the stars.

I miss him....Dear Valar, protect him while he is away.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email