Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Wanderer's Tale- Free for All
on: December 30, 2004 10:07
This is just going to be a free-for-all story, so make up pretty much whatever you want. HOWEVER: no Mary Sues please, and I would prefer that there not be much involvement from the main LotR characters (Legolas, Aragron, the Fellowship, etc.) If too many characters show up, I will let you know. Until then, join away. The link to my character is right here.
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=4387
BTW her name is pronouced ree-ah-thah is anyone's interested.

Let the story begin....
Rhiatha fingered her purse as she walked down the road. Her winter job as a tavern bouncer had paid rather well, but it was spring and she was getting restless. She wasn't sure where she would travel next, but she had the money to last until next winter if she didn't buy something expensive like a horse. Silly things. They cost so much to feed and care for and then they would run away in the smallest battle unless they were trained as warhorses, which she would never be able to afford. Smiling, she fingered her javelins. She had had them for five years. They had cost nearly all the money she had from three winters of work when she bought them. It had been difficult to find perfectly balanced javelins since not many people used them, but the smith she'd paid to make them had been very skilled. They were plain weapons with no decorations or jewels on them, but they had saved her life a great many times since she'd bought them. Much more useful than any silly horse. She stroked the hilt of her long hand-to-hand fighting javelin and thought of the last bandit who'd tried to take it from her. He had died quickly and his friends had run away when they saw their leader killed by a woman. She continued down the road toward the mountains and watched the wilderness warily for any sign of danger.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Wanderer's Tale- Free for All
on: December 30, 2004 10:33
(Here's Siladan's Bio: http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&rpgid=3394)

Siladan wathed a figure along the road, she always wondered why people would ever go into a city, just to leave it again, but the people that do almost always seem interesting, until they tried to kill her. She walked to the woman, hand on her sword-blade, and introduced herself.

"Hello, good wanderer. What is thy errand?"
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 11:39
Rhiatha saw a figure standing by the side of the road. Suddenly the figure spoke up. "Hello, good wanderer. What is thy errand?"
Rhiatha kept her hand near her fighting javelin but replied anyway. The stranger didn't look hostile, and if she'd been planning to attack she would have done so already.
"My name is Rhiatha and my errand is to wander. I seek things of interest and wonder. I serve no lord and travel where I will. Right now I am heading for the mountains. I've heard that many mysterious things lurk in dark caves and the high passes. There may be treaure, but I look mainly for adventure. I certainly do not object to killing stray orcs, bandits or other vile creatures. Now, wanderer, what is your errand?"
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 06:52
(Hope you don't mind me joining Reora is in the DB)
Reora sat under a tree on the side of the road. She had stopped to let her most loyal companion, a copper mare named Ember, graze as she continued to the nearest city, to find work. At the moment, she was almost penniless.
As Reora looked up, she noticed two figures on the road. She normally would have not been intrested in such people, and would had let them by without a word. But these two looked intresting, one with javelins close to her side, and another with her hand upon her sword. She called for Ember, and swung into her saddle. With that, she slowly walked up to the two, in the middle of conversation.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 07:10
"My errand is to watch the roads and if one as thyself appear interesting, I follow they on their travels. Thou appear to be such a person as will interest me. And thee. Who art thou?"
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2004 07:29
Rhiatha frowned slightly as she considered the two strangers and the newest one's horse. Each to her own, she supposed. If the new woman would put up with a horse, that was her business. And she had to admit that this looked more sensible than most of the skittish beasts.
"I would have both of your names, strangers. Sauron has fallen, but he left servants behind. Are either of you such as that? I would not have such evil company. The mountains can be deadly, and I would not be betrayed in the darkness there. My errands are dangerous enough without interference from my own comrades. If you are not such minions of evil and I know your names, you may walk with me for as long or short a time as we decide stay in a group. Neither of you looks to be a servant of evil, but the past has shown me that appearances can be most decieving. What say you two? What manner of people are you?"
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 05:17
"I am no servant of darkness, I am merely the watcher of roads, the last of a dying breed."

Siladan extended her hand in a gesture of trust, then quickly withdrew it to draw her swords at a group of bandits, fresh from the kill.

"Hold thy ground thieves!"
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 07:50
Reora nodded as the one woman talked. "I am also not a dark servant." She said, "But one seeking adventure. My name is Reora." She smiled in a friendly greeting, but it slowly faded when she noticed a group of blood thirsty bandits. "Hold thy ground thieves!" One of the women called, as Reora drew out her sword.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2004 09:18
Rhiatha was about to acknowledge the two strangers when the one that called herself a watcher of the roads called out: "Hold thy ground, thieves!"
Rhiatha spun round and saw a group of filthy bandits. She whipped one narrow throwing javelin into each hand as the badly organized bandits ran for the group, doubtless thinking that three women would be easy prey. She planted a javelin in the throat of one bandit as her companions drew thier weapons. She killed another bandit with the throwing javelin in her other hand. The bandits were soon too close for her to use any ranged weapons. Rhiatha felt a stray bandit arrow from someone hiding behind some bushes graze her ribs and open a long, shallow cut. She hissed in anger. She would have to wait until the battle was over before she could clean and bind it.
Then Rhiatha drew her hand-to-hand fighting javelin and set herself firmly to meet the attack. She hoped that her new companions were as capable as they looked.
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 04:25
Reora rode Ember right into a small group of bandits, and stabbed them with her sword. She was not a wonderfully skilled swordswoman, but her skills were passable. She rode on to more stray bandits, and slew many of them as well. In the process she felt the blade of a sword cut into her wrist. It hurt terribly, but she grimaced and went on. Reora turned to see how the others were doing. They seemed to know what they were doing.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 11:39
Rhiatha was cutting a swathe through the nearby bandits when she felt a sword cut sharply into the flesh above her hip. She howled in rage and pain and cut the bandit who had wounded her nearly in half. She was already bleeding from a number of small cuts. The last thing that she needed in the middle of this battle was a deep wound.
Rhiatha wished that the bandits had been seen when they were farther away. She was far better with her throwing javelins than with her fighting one. She was fast, but it was hard to stay safe in the middle of this many bandits. She spun to kill another bandit winced as her deep wound pulled wider. She hoped that the battle ended before she lost too much blood.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2005 05:36
Siladan cut and slashed through the bandits, receiving numerous cuts across her torso, few of which were deep. She continued to kill until she was confronted by a man whose eyes only held fear of her and her comrades. She saw in his eyes a fear that wold have been missed by anyone who had not experienced it herself, she smacked the flat of her blade across his forehead, knocking him unconscious. She looked at what they had taken, it was simple food items, nothing of much real value. We're killing these men because they are hungry and poor, they've probably a family to supporton top of that. She sheathed her swords and faught the rest by hand, not killing them, only rendering them helplessly asleep.
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 06:29
Reora noticed that the one woman, the one who called herself a watcher of the road, was fighting off the bandits by hand, merely knocking them out. She rode up to her. "What are you doing?" She hissed.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 10:18
"These men are not evil, they are only misguided. I cannot, knowingly, kill what is no evil and you should not either!"

Siladan continued her fighting, ignoring anythng else. She would not butcher any living being without just cause, unless she needed food or was in danger, and no matter how hungry she was she wasn't eating anything human.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2005 03:59
Rhiatha raised her javelin to kill the nearest bandit, but then noticed that he scarcely had a beard and was shaking with fear. She knocked him unconscious with the flat of her javelin and then proceeded to do the same to the bandits left around her. They were all young and frightened. Probably they had been hanging back because they were too afraid to confront experienced fighters. Once their more ruthless companions were killed, they had no more enthusiasm to fight.
After all the nearby bandits were unconscious, Rhiatha looked for her new companions and saw that they were finishing up themselves, knocking the frightened bandits unconscious. She nodded to herself in approval. Obviously they were ethical enough. Rhiatha felt blood pour into her boot from the wound in her hip and she hurriedly sat down on the nearest stump. She pulled out her healing supplies and looked at the wound. It was deep, but she could fix it with time and concentration. She concentrated on breathing slowly and pressed down on the nearby flesh to slow the bleeding. She winced with the pain but continued to apply the pressure. She had learned long ago never to let pain stop you from healing yourself. That led only to more pain, and an unhealed wound would kill you.
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 10:40
Reora sat on the ground, and looked at her wounds. They seemed to be mostly shallow scratches, mainly on her legs and arms, save the deeper cut on her wrist that was bleeding quite freely. She would deal with it later. First she went to rub down Ember, and led her to some grass where she could graze. With a small pat on her neck, she left her, and went to bandage her wrist.
Reora found Rhiatha sitting on a stump, with blood running over her. "Are you alright?" She asked, somewhat worried. The wound seemed to be quite deep, but Rhiatha looked as if she know what she was doing. Reora then noticed her healing kit on the ground. "Do you have something to bandage my wrist with?" She asked, her arm throbbing.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 11:10
Rhiatha sighed with relief as the blood from the wound in her hip eased to a thin trickle and finally stopped. She poured a bit of brandy mixed with healing herbs onto the wound and winced slightly at the pain. She pulled out a needle that she had cleaned in a flame and kept in a clean roll of boiled linen, along with a linen thread that she had also boiled. Then she began to stitch her wound closed.
Reora walked up to her and asked if she was all right. Rhiatha noticed that she was bleeding badly from one wrist. "Do you have something to bandage my wrist with?" Reora asked. Rhiatha looked at Reora's wound and then continued stitching her own. "I have bandages in my healing satchel, but that wound may need a few stitches first if you want it to heal evenly. I'll be glad to do it if you wait until I finish stitching up mine. It won't be much longer, my wound was more deep whan wide. Don't worry for your safety. I have no magic, but my village healer often let me help her out because I was calm around blood and wounds." Rhiatha continued stitching her wound as she waited for an answer.
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 10:58
Reora nodded her head slowly. "I suppose you should stich it up." She said, watching as Rhiatha stitched her own wound calmly. "I have never been fond of blood, but I've seen enough of it that I've gotten used to it." She said grimly, as she glanced at some of the few dead bandits. Reora then waited quietly as Rhiatha finished stitching herself.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 12:13
Rhiatha finished stitching her wound up as Reora nodded and replied."I suppose you should stich it up." she said. "I have never been fond of blood, but I've seen enough of it that I've gotten used to it." Reora glanced at some of the dead bandits. Rhiatha nodded and rinsed her hands with clear water from a flask that she had boiled. She put one hand on each side of Reora's wound and applied steady pressure. "This will stop the bleeding," she said. Finally the blood slowed to a trickle and all but stopped. Then Rhiatha poured a small splash of the herb-laced brandy on the wound and Reora winced at the sharp sting.
Rhiatha selected a fresh needle and some more thread from her healing pouch. She tied a knot in the thread and then gently began to stitch the parted skin back together. "This will only take a few minutes. Your wound was deep, but it was not long."
A few minutes later Rhiatha finished stitching and tied a length of clean bandage around the wound. "It will properly as long as you do not get dirt into the wound before it closes or rip it open by stretching the skin too far. Be careful with it and it will heal within a few weeks." Rhiatha smiled in satisfaction at her handiwork and put some thick sappy paste over her wound. "My wound is in the wrong place for a bandage. This paste will peel off by the time the wound heals." she explained. "So, where is the watcher of the roads?" she asked as she stood up to retrieve her weapons.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 02:39
"She is here, my friends."

Siladan stood up from checking the last of the bandits bodies. She now carried numerous swords and daggers and a few bows with arrows.

"They will not bother many more people today. My wounds are minor, I need no healer's hand."
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 03:07
Rhiatha looked up as the watcher of the roads walked up and replied to her question. She noticed that the watcher had a number of bandit weapons in her hands. "They will not bother many more people today. My wounds are minor, I need no healer's hand." said the watcher.
Rhiatha smiled. "I see that you have taken the bandit weapons, watcher. Do you plan to sell them? They are not very good, but there is a town a few miles away that has a smith who would gladly pay to use those weapons as scrap metal. I know him, and I think that he would give you a good price. It is your choice, of course." Rhiatha stood up and stretched slightly, testing the strength and flexibility of her stitches, then spoke again. "In the excitement of the attack, I don't believe that I ever caught your name. Would you care to tell me, or shall I go on calling you watcher?"

Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 04:06
"My name is Siladan, but you may call me what you wish, as I have many names wih many people, least of which not being Murderer."

She walked closer, examining the extent of her own wounds for the first time, seeing a lang gash across her chest.

"Though that is not because I am, but because I am a defender. Would you happen to have a sterilizing agent?"
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 05:22
Rhiatha listened carefully to the reply from the watcher named Siladan and then nodded to the request for a sterilizing agent. She tossed Siladan the flask of herb-laced brandy. "A splash of this will suffice and the herbs will help heal what healthy flesh the brandy kills." Rhiatha continued with her stretching and walking. "So, my friends. Shall we continue together to the next town to sell these weapons and find more supplies? Or shall we part ways now?"
Rhiatha hoped that the two would agree to from a travelling group. She slept much better when there was someone to share night watches with.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 11:57
"I do not believe we have had proper time to part of yet. With your permission I would gladdly acompany you to the next town and perhaps farther."
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 12:29
Rhiatha smiled and finished stretching as Siladan agreed to travel with them to the next town. "Very well then. I'll carry some of the weapons to lighten your load." Rhiatha took a few of the weapons and slung her pack up onto her shoulder. She checked her weapons and smiled. Rhiatha had had enough time to gather and clean her javelins while Siladan cleaned out the cut on her chest. Rhiatha felt much better when all of her weapons were close to hand. The stitches on her wound felt good enough for her to walk for a while.
"If we go at a decent pace, we can be at the town by nightfall. There is a good inn there that will give us hot baths. Rhiatha gave a glance around to be sure that they hadn't forgotten anything and began to walk down the road.
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 10:39
Reora also agreed to stay with her companions. It was better to travel in numbers, and Reora knew she wouldn't mind their company. She took some of the extra weapons they were to sell, and called for Ember. When the mare appeared, she got onto her saddle, and began to walk down the road.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 12:12
Rhiatha smiled as Reora agreed to stay with them. She'd come to realize the joys of having travelling companions who could fight and keep watch. It meant that she didn't have to sleep in a tree to keep from being attacked by bandits or hungry animals. She continued walking and thought of the inn in the next town. It offered hot baths and clean beds, both of which she wanted. The blood from her wound had drenched her side and legs, and it was itching as it dried. Rhiatha thought that she and Reora would both benefit from sleep and hot food to make up for blood loss. She lengthened her stride a little as she thought of sleep.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2005 12:33
"We're off, I guess."

Siladan took to the rood, staying a little behind the rest, in case she sensed danger from them. While that was unlikely, she was used to being in the back. on many trips she was elected as rear guard because of her ferocity in battle.

"What might be the name of our destination?"
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2005 07:42
Rhiatha listened as Siladan asked the name of the town they were going to. "It's a very small town called Two Bridges because it lies between two deep but narrow rivers and each river has a bridge over it. It's an unimaginative name, but certainly accurate. It is really just a glorified traveller's waystation with a good inn and a few shops that sell useful supplies. A few families live there and run the businesses. It may be out in the wilderness, but it is easy to defend because they only way in is to use one of the bridges. People can't swim across because the water is full of underwater drowning traps. Bandits rarely even try to attack because there is very little of value in the town and most of the people living there are former mercenaries who decided to settle down away from a city where old rivals would be able to find them. The inn is excellent and we will be welcomed. I know several of the people there. They will vouch for me, and I will vouch for you." Rhiatha grinned as she thought of the stop. There were too few in Middle-Earth like it.

[Edited on 8/1/2005 by wavecaller]
HerenyeofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 12:11
Reora listened as Rhiatha spoke of this place they were going to, Two Bridges, as she had never heard of it herself. It sounded like a pleasant enough place. She smiled at the thought of a warm bath, to get the grime and blood off from her. A clean bed didn't sound too bad either. Much better than sleeping on the side of a road.
They travelled on, the sun slowly sinking lower.
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 01:38
Rhiatha smiled as Two Bridges finally came into sight. It was about time. She'd been worried that the sun would set before they got there, and the bridge guards were always more suspicious after dark. She walked up to the bridge and rapped her knuckles on the side of the guardhouse. A door came open and a scowling mercenary stepped out, but he soon smiled when he saw who it was. "Rhiatha! I haven't seen you around here in years! What brings you to these parts?" he said with a huge grin.
"Adventure as usual, Roland. I'm off on another hunt for something interesting, but my companions and I were wounded in a fight and we have weapons to sell for scrap metal. I'll certainly vouch for my companions if you ask it. Do you mind if we stay the night?" she asked as she shifted her weight to ease the wound.
"Of course you can stay! The blacksmith's been get antsy for scrap metal, and he'll be glad to see you. Just remember, the three of you, this town is under a truce inside, so there will be no fighting within the town." he told them with a stern look.
Rhiatha grinned and beckoned for her companions to follow her. The inn would be serving hot dinner soon, and they would soon have baths. She smiled to herself at the thought of a hot bath and started down the road to the inn.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 01:53
"So, this is Two Bridges? It seems a little heavily guarded for a town that is at peace."

Siladan walked along the road, following Rhiatha.

"Where's the inn?"
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 04:49
Rhiatha grinned as Siladan asked where the inn was. "It's at the end of this road and around the corner, my friend. The town is a bit heavily guarded, but that's because this is bandit country and most of the people who live here used to be mercenaries. They're used to carrying weapons wherever they go." Rhiatha turned around the corner and a large wooden inn came into view. It looked quiet and warm, and it had a sign that read The Wanderer's Rest hanging over the door. Rhiatha walked up to the large wooden door and pushed it open just as the sun set. With a smile of relief at arriving just in time for a hot dinner, she walked in and beckoned her newfound companions to follow.
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 05:55
As she entered the inn, Siladan was immediately hit with the aroma of old air.

"Is it always so stuffy in here, or is this a special occasion?"
wavecaller
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2005 02:57
Rhiatha grinned as Siladan asked about the stuffy air. "It's barely the beginning of spring. People spend a lot of their free time in the winter here, smoking and singing and telling tales of the battles they've been in. The air will clear out as it gets warmer. All of the rooms have windows that you can open if you need fresh air." Rhiatha glanced around the room and headed over to the bar to order come hot meat and stew. This place wasn't fancy, but the food was always good and hot. Mercenaries knew the value of good food and had started cooking it here as soon as the inn opened.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email