Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Dwindling of the Elves (please join)
on: January 06, 2005 09:58
Narya walked towards the palace of Mirkwood, wiping her sword clean of Spider blood. Yet another group of Elves had departed, and to escape from the sorrow of seeing her people disappearing, she had gone for an early morning hunt. Her brother ran down the steps to greet her.
" Legolas, you're up early." She said, smiling. Her silver-blonde hair moved in the breeze. Elves lingered about the courtyard, preparing for the day ahead. In their midst were rangers, men and one or two hobbits.

[Edited on 6/1/2005 by Aneras]
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Dwindling of the Elves (please join)
on: January 06, 2005 10:11
Inwë walked up toward Legolas and Narya. They were lokoing toward the small crown outside of the gates. She ed her head and thought for a while.
"So, what do you think they're doing here?"
ElwynSilverleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2005 10:29
Elwyn rode atop Alagos, approaching Mirkwood. She had much desired to see her friends that dwelled within the kingdom. Her horse trudged lazily through the city gates and she saw Narya and Legolas. She dismounted and lead her horse over to them...her presence was not yet known by her friend...
Laurie_Rokkoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 05:55
((Hey y'all! you mind if I join? Is this going to be like a battle centered, or a bit of everything?))

Sellaurëa laid low over her stallion Tornë's neck as they sped through the woods at top speed towards Mirkwood. It had been a while since he had stretched his legs, so with about two miles to go she had turned him loose into a gallop. They were now in plain sight of the palace. She looked up just in time to see a big log about five paces in front of them. She sat up and gathered the reins, and Tornë collected himself and sprang over the huge jump. The landed smoothly on the other side and immediately came to a halt. Sellaurëa dismounted and patted him, smiling broadly.

"That was marvellous, mellon-nin!" she said to Tornë.

She looked up at her surroundings and noticed a small group of Elves not far away. Her smile grew wider as she recognized some of the group.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 02:21
Narya glanced up when she saw the newcomers. " The Rangers are leaving soon for Dol Guldur. Men are heading for Gondor, and the hobbits...I think they're just hanging around, hoping to get some wine." She laughed.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 06:38
(( Hey Narya! I promised I'd join, so here I am. And guess who I brought with me, you got it: Pete! :evil: ))

Pete had been talking to Aerhíril when he spotted Narya, Elwyn and Legolas in the courtyard. He grinned and rushed over with Aerhiril close behind.

"Narya," Aerhiril called as she approached her friend, she smiled when she saw Legolas too. "How are you all?" They smiled, and Pete approached them also. He too a chunk out of his apple, and munched on it merrily.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 08:56
Narya smiled. Pete and herself were firm friends. Their friendship was odd, just like Gimli's and Legolas', for he was a hobbit, and her, and elf princess. She looked up at Aerhiril. " We seem to be getting quite a few arrivals today." She smiled. She glanced to Legolas, who was smiling at Aerhiril. " I hope none of you are going anywhere soon." Narya said. " I could use a little company around here." She smiled mischevously.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 10:17
"Then company we shall be!" Pete laughed as he bowed merrily to Narya and legolas. They both laughed, and when Legolas caught Aerhíril looking at him she smiled happily.
"We plan to stay for as long as we can," she said as she looked back to Narya after a moment's pause. Pete took another bite out of his apple, and nodded in agreement.
"I can't wait to have some fun... The stables are just asking for a joke." He grinned. All of them knew what that involved."Well?" He said as he threw the core of his apple away. "Lets get some food, I'm starving."
"That's a great idea," Aerhíril said. "Then I would like to go into the woods for a while..." she grinned.
Laurie_Rokkoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 01:53
Sellaurëa walked up to the group leading Tornë behind her. She stopped right in front of them.

"Mae govannen, Prince Legolas, Princess Narya. You haven't met me before...I'm a centurion of Mirkwood's southern border." She nodded in greeting to the others standing around, then turned to the hobbit.

"Did I hear someone say food?" she asked, smiling at Pete. "I'm hungry too!"
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 04:07
Inwë walked up toward Narya.
"So, do I know Pete?"
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2005 11:35
" No, I don't think you do." Narya replied. " Inwe, this is Petergo. Pete, this is Inwe. Right then, food. I'm sure we could get something." She said, and walked up to the great palace.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 06:07
"Pleasure to meet you," Pete said after he had spoken to the other she -elf. He was sure that he would learn her name later. Then Narya bgan to walk up to the great palace and sio he follwed, with Aerhíril, Legolas, and Inwe and Sellaurëa just behind them. They all seemed to be hungry, and he was glad for he was too.
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2005 10:56
Inwë smiled at Petergo. "Suilaid."
She walked with the prince and princess toward the dining hall.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 08:38
((Written by Aneras and Myself!!!))

Pete wandered into the hall first, for he had over taken everyone else as soon as he had caught the smell off food in the air. He paused to let the others catch up, who were lagging behind engrossed in a conversation.

Narya strolled in. Pete was waiting impatiently for them. “Oh, we'd better hurry up. Mr. Stomach over here wants his food." She laughed.

Pete grumbled being hungry usually put him in a fowl mood. "Come one the Pete," Aerhíril said as she walked past him with Narya. Pete frowned and followed them to the table, with the others close behind.

Narya sat down, and took only a glass of water to drink. She laughed as Pete loaded his plate down with food. Glancing up, she saw Legolas enter the hall. She smiled as he sat down next to Aerhíril. Inwë and Sellaurëa also joined them at the table.

Aerhíril passed Legolas a plate, and took one for her self before she filled it, (but not as much as Pete had) with food. She began to eat; and wondered why Narya was not. "So..." the Hobbit said once he had got some food down him "How is peace along the borders of Mirkwood then?" he asked.

“Same as usual. There's never a lack of work to do around here." She replied.

Pete sighed and nodded. "Orcs or spiders?" he asked her as he gulped down some ale.

"Both, But they've been staying strangely close. I've warned the elves to keep an eye on it. We can't risk a union."

Now Aerhíril had started to pay attention to this conversation, for it seemed likely that they would all have to fight again soon. "So how long do you think we have until they attempt to join one another?" She asked. "If they do, that is."

“I don't know. They both hold hatred towards elves, although the Orcs' might be a slightly bigger hatred. It's just that we always though they hated each other too, for the spiders would often feed on an Orc or two."

"That's true," she said as she finished her meal. She hadn't bothered to take all that much. Pete had finished too. "I hope this crisis doesn't affect the kitchens..." he said as he stared at his plate.

“Nope, they'll be fine." Narya laughed. “They don't do much fighting." She glanced out at the Sun. “You’re in luck to arrive before I left. I'm actually heading for Minas Tirith in only a few days."

"A few days?" Aerhíril asked. "To go and do what?" What ever it was, she knew that she would be going with her...

“Oh, you know...just going for a visit." She trailed off.

"A visit... to see Aragorn?" She asked her, unsure to what this change of mood was set off by.

“I miss seeing him around, and I love Minas Tirith even more than here. I mean, it does lack vegetation, and is very formal, but it's beautiful, and reminds me of the elder days." Narya said.

“And Ithilen, that's another place I want to see. I want to see what my people have done with the place, and visit Farmer. And of course, there's Mordor." She said.

Aerhíril nodded. "I can understand that." But when she heard Mordor she stopped. "You're going to Mordor?"

“Of course." She said.

"But why? What's the reason for it? Are you both going?" She turned to Legolas to see if he knew about this. Pete looked on in shock.

“Well, I kind of have to. To keep an eye on her." He moved his head in the direction of Narya. He was obviously uncomfortable about the whole thing.

"Well, if you are both going, then I am going. Even if it is mad." Aerhíril said as she looked from one to the other.

“Why? Why is it mad?" She asked.

"You’re going to Mordor Narya," Aerhíril said sternly. "And as far as you have told me, there seems to be no reason for it. What if you're caught?" Pete nodded in agreement.

“Caught? By what? Sauron has been defeated, remember? And Ok, there are still Orcs and things there, but the realm is under the control of Gondor. And we have a reason. It's very important."

"But yet you will not tell me what it is?" She said as she folded her arms and leant back in her chair.
Pete took another swig of ale.

"I would, it's just that I'm not quite sure what it is. I just have this feeling that I must got there. But I had to go anyway. Gondor are trying to rebuild Mordor as a part of their kindom, although no one would live there. They have taken back Cirith Ungol and Minas Morgul." She saw Aerhiril shudder at the name.

She sighed and looked down at the table for a moment. "Well, I hope you won't mind me coming along then... And I am sure that Pete will come too, seeing how he won't go anywhere without me now."

The hobbit laughed and put his mug down. "Now my lady, what you should have said is that you won't go any where without me." She nodded in good nature and smiled.

Narya laughed. "Good. Then we will head for Minas Tirith in two days." She glanced out of the window. "Do you think Elwyn will come with us?" She asked. She looked around the table at the others around her, Inwe, and the elf that had arrived just then.

"Of course she will," Aerhíril replied. "Now, who's up for a walk in the woods?" she asked seeing that everyone had finished.

" Oh, I am." She placed her hand on the hilt of her sword. " You probably should all take weapons though. Who knows when we'll see a spider or two." She said, with a mischevous smile.

"I need to go and get them then, I left them in my room." She stood up and moved away from the table. "Well, I don't have any weapons," Pete huffed. "What shall I do if a spider attacks me?"

" Here." Narya handed him a blade. It was just the right size for a hobbit. " You didn't think that I would forget you, did you? But anyway, even if you didn't know how to use it, we would protect you." She said with a laugh.

Pete looked at the blade in awe, he rarely had the oppotunity to hold a sword. "Thankyou." he said gratefully. Aerhiril looked at the others. "Does anyone else need to get their weapons?" She asked hoping that someone would come with her she hadn't seen them all in such a long time.

"I'm sorry, but I've got mine." Narya said.

Legolas looked up lazily. "Mine are up in my room, I'll come with you."

"Sure," she said as he rose out of his seat. "Let’s go then."
Legolas walked as ease up the stairs. "So Aerhíril, what have you been up to?" He asked

"Not much," She replied. "After I left I did go back to Lorien, and then to Rivendell again after that... I got stuck in a snowstorm on the way over the mountains, and met a host of orcs afterwards." She said as she followed him. "How about you then?" she then asked.

"Oh, been keeping an eye on my whirlwind of a sister. We've been in Ithilen for most of the time." He said, smiling.

"I have never been there before..." Aerhíril said as just realised this fact.

"Really? It's beautiful. And the people...they are wonderful. Just like you, in fact." He said.

"What?" Aerhíril said with a smile appearing on her face. He had caught her off guard with that one. "Really," She asked again, unsure to whether he meant it or not. "Thank you," she then said shyly.

Legolas smiled, equally shy. "So...uh...you're coming with us?" He asked.

"Yes, of course;" She smiled again. "Someone has to watch your back while you look out for Narya." She laughed.

Legolas smiled, a little confused. "Do you think I watch over her too much?" He asked, unsure of himself.

"Sometimes," she replied trufully. "But it is only sometimes. Most of the time you look out for her as much as you should." She continued to walk along the corridor as they had paused for a moment.

"I guess..." He said. He brightened up. "I can't wait to get there." He jumped up, and dangled from a wooden beam for a second, before letting go and returning to earth." There, I can leave Narya, for she will be watched over by others. It's in Gondor that I can relax the most." He looked peaceful as he thought of the things he would do there.

Aerhíril smiled happily at this sudden outburst. "Well, I am looking forward to going too... I haven't been in ages, and the people there are always so happy to see elves," she laughed. "Maybe when Narya is being looked after by someone else, we can go and have some fun; you've been there more than I have, you can show me around."

Legolas' face lit up. "Really? You'd want me to?" He asked.

"Of course," she replied. "Why wouldn't I want you to? Come on, she said as she reached his door. "You had better get your weapons, and then we can get mine." Her room was much further down the corridor.

Legolas smiled, and disappeared inside. He appeared again a few minutes later with his bow, a quiver of arrows, and a silver-grey cloak about his shoulders.

When he appeared he was greeted by a warm smile from Aerhíril, and then they continued to walk down the corridor to get to Aerhíril's room.

"Uh...I hope Narya didn't frighten Pete earlier when she talked about fighting. I know he hasn't done any before." He fidgeted a little. "It was her idea to get that sword for him. It's from the mounds beside the Shire, made by the men of Westernesse." He said. "She wants to toughen him up, and make him into a warrior. I'm not sure it'll work though." He laughed.

"It won't if she tries to force him to fight; only he can choose if he ever wants to kill an orc, or a spider." She sighed "It would be such a shame to turn that Hobbit into a warrior, to taint his care-free life into one full of troubles and dangers. Besides, I am sure he would rather stay at home and smoke," she replied.

"I know. I've been trying to persuade her, but you know what she's like. Sometimes, I worry that battle is all she thinks about. It frightens me a little."

Aerhíril nodded in agreement. "It is odd, I mean, I fight when it is needed, but I cannot see how she gets through the day with nothing but war on her mind. There are other things to think about, if you see what I mean."

"Yes there are." He said.
Aerhíril stopped for they had arrived at the door to her room. She opened it up and went inside, leaving it open for she would only be a few seconds. Her bow, sword and arrows were on her bed. "I will just be a moment," she said as she went and picked them up, and then attached them to her clothes. She was already wearing her cloak.

Legolas looked with interest into her room. "Your room is uh...different to mine." He said.

"Yes, it is." She smiled. Hers had many more velvet drapes around, and delicate ordainments with white wooden furniture. She had put many of her Imladris possessions in there as well. She walked back to the door having picked up her bow. "I'm ready," she said.

"Alright, let's go." He said.

She nodded, and closed the door behind her and they started to walk back down to the hall. "Oh," she said with a glint in her eye. "Try not to push me into the lake this time..." she grinned.

“Well, if I slip, it's not my fault..." He said mischievously. “And if you happen to get caught in a spider’s web, that's not my fault either."

"Hey," she replied giving him a little push on the arm. "If anyone gets stuck in a web, it will be Pete, not me." She said playfully.

"We'll just have to wait and see." He said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she asked, now worried that he was going to try something else.

"Oh, nothing." He said carelessly.

[Edited on 13/1/2005 by Aerhíril]
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2005 04:24
(Ooh, fun, Going on an adventure? Mind if Inwë came along?)

Inwë had sat silently eating while the others talked. She listened inventively. She decided to go with them. She grabbed her bow and arrow and followed the prince and princess and the hobbit closely. Hopefully, if she was discovered, her friends would not mind.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2005 07:55
((Of course you can come along, it will be really fun! This one is written by Aneras and myself.))

Pete and Narya were waiting for the others outside of the hall on the steps leading down into the forest. Inwe and Sellaurëa had joined them, and were sat talking with one another. "Where on earth are they?" Pete protested to Narya who looked just as annoyed as he was. They had been 'fetching their weapons' for ages.

"Knowing them, talking about anything under the sun." She said.

Pete just sighed and started to walk down the steps, and he was just about to give up and sit down when he heard the heavy creak of the great wooden doors opening behind them. He turned around and saw Legolas appear with Aerhíril just behind him. They were giggling, and pushing each other around. Narya rolled her eyes. "Would you two get down here so we can start?" She asked irritably.

Aerhíril laughed and gave Legolas on last push before she went down the steps. "Alright Narya, keep your sword on." She said in good nature to her friend who looked rather annoyed.

"So, where do you want to go? There's the lake, the spider's webs or a three-day trip to Dol Guldur, complete with food and accommodation. Price is 300 arrows, thank you." She joked.

Pete laughed. "Which ever costs the least, and requires no fighting or spiders. Let’s go that way."

"Hmmm… I don't know. If you want a guide, you'll have to pay me." She said, pretending to think.

"Oh come on Narya," Aerhíril said as she walked down the steps. "Now you are wasting time," she smiled with irony in her tone. "Let's just go anywhere, and see where it leads us."

"That'll do for me." Narya laughed. She took a path that led deep into the dark forest, and made sure that the three elves followed her. Pete paused for a moment before he trailed behind at an un-easy pace. "It's awfully dark," he squeaked to Legolas who was just in front of him. A cold chill had already started to take over his body; even though there was clearly nothing to be afraid about.

Legolas glanced back. "This is nothing. Remember, you're in Mirkwood now, not in the Shire." He said.

"I know," Pete huffed. "But it is still very dark, I am sure I will get lost..." he sped up, hoping to get into the middle of the line instead of being at the back "Excuse me," he said as he over took Legolas, passed Aerhíril and then settled himself just behind Narya and Inwe.

Narya smiled to herself. She knew that a hobbit would have been frightened, but she had spent so much time around hardy folk like the rangers that she forgot that anyone would fear a place.

After about fifteen minutes of walking, Pete began to wonder where they were exactly headed to. The landscape hadn't changed much, and the only thing that had was the darkness of the place which had increased. But before he could ask, Aerhíril asked for him. "Where are we going Narya?" She called across the line of elves. They were all in single file.

"Who knows?" She said mysteriously. Legolas seemed to know where he was going, and was at ease.

"That's not funny," Pete said as he decided that he did not like the situation he was in at all. Aerhíril turned back to face Legolas who was walking calmly behind her. "Where are we going?" she asked him.

"Nowhere" He replied, smiling sweetly.

She narrowed her eyes. “Where’s nowhere?”

"You'll see." He said.

"Now why is it that I don't like the sound of that," she said as she turned back to look where she was going. The narrow path was becoming very overgrown, and it was becoming increasingly difficult to walk along, especially for a small hobbit such as Pete, who was having trouble finding a safe route for his feet in the dark.

Narya laughed, and stopped. She picked Pete up, and put him on Legolas' shoulders. "What can you see Pete?" She asked.

"I can't see anything, it's too dark." he grumbled, still annoyed for little to no reason. He looked darkly down at the floor.

"Look again, little halfling. Is something moving?" She asked.

Pete sighed, and held onto Legolas' shoulders as he looked up into the sky once again. He could make out the dark leaves of the trees, but that was it. But after a while he swore he could hear the faint sound of running water, and he was sure he caught a glimpse of something gleaming in the darkness. It was many thin strands of delicate thread, weaved in and out of the trees. "I see... a river." he finally said. "And... I think I see spider's webs..." He trembled at the thought of spiders, but little did he know, how big they actually were.
"Ah, then we are going the right way." Narya said. Pete looked down in alarm. "Don't worry, we'll be fine." She said.

"Why are you both leading us into a colony of spiders," Aerhíril asked, half wondering if they both wanted to kill them all off. She had managed to calm herself down, and was no longer panicking about the idea.

"I think I'd be cruel to lead Pete to the spiders when he's so un-experienced in battle. No, that's not where we're going."

There was a huge sigh of relief from Pete, and he relaxed once again. "Fine then, tell us when we are there then, I cannot tell in this light."

Narya nodded “Of course.” And they all continued to walk along the path, each of them wondering where Narya and Legolas were leading them.
Eärnil_Captain_Of_Gondor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 06:22
( Sure hope you don't mind me falling in too late! )

The Ranger climbed over the hill.
His sharp eyes lured over the many trees of the forest.
His gaze was drawn to a company, travelling along the road down the hill.
Thorongil smiled.
" They're not Orcs, so they must be friends. Legolas, I assume. "
He ran down the slope of the hill, carefully enough not to fall over rocks.
" Prince and Princess ! " he shouted.
" Aerhiril? " he asked in awe as he saw her as well.
" Mylady Silverleaf, " he said as he bowed for her.

" I'm glad to have found you. "
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 07:31
( co-written by me and aerhiril)

Narya led them on, until they got to a glade. She then made the others halt, and led Pete a little off.
Pete followed her curiously, unsure to what she wanted of him. "What is it?" he asked her.
" It's nothing much, I just wanted to give you something." She said. She whistled, and a beautiful white pony trotted towards them. " We're all going for a ride, and I thought that you would like your own pony. But that's not why I brought you all here." SHe said.
Pete's face lit up with delight. "Really?" he gasped, in complete awe at the beauty of the animal. He had never ridden before, but the pony looked so friendly that he thought it would be rather fun. "Why did you bring me here then?" He asked after he had thanked her several times for the gift.
" There." She pointed towards a tunnel running into the ground. The others clustered around them to look into the tunnel.
Pete looked at it, with a frown on his face. "you want me to go in there?" he gasped. "What for?"
Narya smiled. " You won't know until you go in there will you." She smiled kindly. A sudden falling of a rock grabbed her attention. She looked quickly up, and saw Thorongil descend towards them. Her eyes lit up. " Thorongil! What are you doing here?" She asked. She smiled. " Is there something wrong?"
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2005 09:02
Aerhíril's face lit up when she saw Thorongil run down the slope of the hill, her mind being momentarily taken off of the tunnel that Narya had asked Pete to enter for her.

"It's good to see you again Thorongil," she replied as he said her name. She did wonder what he was doing here though; but would wait to find out later, for now she was too pleased to see him to worry of such things.

"Hullo Thorongil," Pete said as he took his eyes off of the tunnel for a moment, which now seemed even darker than before. He smiled and nodded back to them all and then started to reply to Narya's question.

Aerhíril looked at Legolas and then returned her eyes to Pete who was stood right before the entrance of the tunnel, peering in with great interest. He was thinking whether he should go in or not, and his white pony stared at him with great interest when he finally decided what he should do. While Narya was still talking with Thorongil, Pete crouched down and slipped inside the tunnel silently and with great ease.
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 06:05
(co-written again, i'm sorry if it's a little long)

Narya looked around her, and noticed that Pete had gone. She looked into the tunnel, and just saw him disappearing. She smiled. The hobbit's courage and trust were very good.
"How long will he be?"Aerhiril asked as he vanished from sight. She was beginning to wonder when they would be able to go riding.
" I don't know." Narya said. " Why don't we get the horses ready?"

"That's a good idea," she said as she stepped away from the tunnel. "Shall we all go, or just a few of us?" she asked.
Narya looked back into the the tunnel. " Maybe one of us should go after him." She said uncertainly.
"Well, maybe you should seeing how you sent him in there," Aerhiril smiled. "I can get the horses if someone comes with me, and the others can wait here."
" I'll come with you." Legolas said. He headed off with Aerhiril as Narya ventured into the hole.
:
Everyone agreed on this, and so the ones who were to remain behind made themselves comfortable. "You will have to lead the way to the stables," Aerhiril said as she walked along with legolas. "I don't know how to find them from here."

" It's easy." Legolas said, as he led her upon twisted paths that crossed each other.
"Maybe for you, but I haven't lived here all my life." She replied as she followed, stepping carefully on the odd paths.
After a few minutes, they got back to the halls. Legolas went straight to the stables, and began to look around at the many horses. " Who owns which horse?" He asked.
"I don't know," Aerhiril replied as she came into the stables. "This one's mine," she smiled as she went over to her grey horse Celeblas. "Which one do you ride?"

Legolas smoothed the muzzle of a chestnut horse. " This is Otornasse." He said, as he kissed the tip of the horse’s nose.
Aerhiril went over and stood behind him to talk to his horse. "Hello Otornasse," she said as she patted the horses mane. It tossed it's head and whinnyed happily.
"It's a beautiful horse..." she went on to say.
Legolas smiled. " Thank you. She's still young, but she's very wise." He said. He walked to a grey horse, strong and great. " Guess who's horse this is." He said. “ “ Only the best for the daughter of the King! “ My sister said. But to be fair to her, she did raise him from a foal.”
Aerhíril laughed. "It is a fine animal," she said as she looked at it from across the stables. She was still petting his horse. "Well, we have three, but I don't know who the other elves horses are."

Pete's pony had stayed with the others. Legolas looked around. "That elf who galloped in on her horse... She had..." He looked at the horses, "...this one." He led it out, and handed the reigns to Aerhíril. "But I don't know the others."

"Well, shall we just lend them someone else’s?" She suggested, realising that trying to figure which belonged to who would not work. "I am sure it won't matter if we do..."

Legolas led out several horses. "These are the horses of the king's messengers. We won't be able to use them for long, in case they'll need them, but I think we can risk an hour maybe." He said.

"That should be alright." She smiled "I doubt we will be gone too long." She went and got Celeblas out of his stable, and held onto his reins. She also held the other horse too. How were they going to lead them all back at once?

"That should be alright." She smiled "I doubt we will be gone too long." She went and got Celeblas out of his stable, and held onto his reins. She also held the other horse too. How were they going to lead them all back at once?

“Narya and my own horse will follow us at will." Legolas said as he took the reins of the messenger’s horses.

"Ok, great." Aerhíril said as she turned around, and leading the two horses she walked at a steady pace out of the stable. She looked to see if Legolas was following her.

He was indeed following her. The Prince and Princess' Horses were cantering around them, enjoying being free. Legolas hurried to catch up with Aerhíril. “Why do you think Thorongil's here?" He asked her.

"I don't know," she replied thoughtfully. "I hope he is just here for a visit, but knowing him, he has probably encountered a host of orcs that need dealing with."

“I know that'll delight Narya. She's getting bored of hanging around here with nothing but spiders to hunt." Legolas said.

"She's always hunting for something to kill," Aerhíril sighed, knowing all too well how much she loved to fight. But then, she looked up at Legolas. "Do you enjoy fighting, or do you fight simply because you have to?" she asked, interested in what his answer would be.

“Well..." Legolas thought hard about the answer. “There’s no denying that I do love the joy of battle. The blood of a warrior runs through my veins." He paused. “But I, as any elf, wish for peace."

Aerhíril nodded, understanding what he meant. She was satisfied when she did fight, but she would avoid it if it meant living in peace...

Legolas laid a hand on her shoulder, and smiled. “Where did you learn to fight?" He asked.

"My adar made sure that I had lessons when I was very young," she smiled, recalling the memory. "He said I had to be prepared for the dangers of the world. I'm glad he did... I don't know where I would be now if I hadn't been taught how to fight."

“Where is your father?" Legolas asked.

"In Rivendell," she told him. "But my mother is in Lórien looking after my grandmother."

Legolas nodded. “It must be nice to have a mother." He said half-heartedly.

"It is," Aerhíril said, sensing his sadness. She put her free arm around him and gave him a comforting hug. "I'm so sorry," she said, knowing that it must be depressing not to have a mother in his life.

“It’s alright. But I know its affected Narya badly." He whispered sadly. His hand strayed to hers.

"Do you think that's the reason she fights so much?" Aerhíril asked softly, allowing him to take her hand.

“It certainly caused a gap between us. I guess at first we blamed her for our mother's death." He looked worried. “But she fights for another reason. It is her duty upon Middle-Earth."

"What happened?" Aerhíril asked. "What happened to your mother before she went?"

"Narya was only four when it happened. She strayed beyond the borders, and when our mother went out to find her, she was slain by Orcs. But, if it hadn't happened, Narya wouldn't have left and she wouldn't have befriended Aragorn." He said.
His grip tightened on her hand.

"That's so sad," she said softly as she looked down to the ground for a moment. "How long did Narya stay with Aragorn for?" She asked him.

"It was ages before we saw her again. About a 100 years." They had stopped walking, and stood facing each other.

“ A Hundred!? That's a long time..." It was in that moment that Aerhíril realised how little she actually knew about her friend.

"I know. That's why she's so different to me. She's more of a ranger now than an elf." He squeezed her hand. "I missed her when she was gone."

"Well," She smiled "At least you have her back now."

Legolas only managed a small smile, and it was grim. “She will not stay here. I know it. I guess that she will leave for Minas Tirith. Her heart does not lie among the elves anymore."

Aerhíril nodded, knowing that this was true.
“All any of us can do, is trust that everything will turn out to be alright in the end, even if it seems to take a long time.” She said tenderly, it was the only comfort she could give him. She sighed. “I think that we have to just support her when she needs us, and trust that she knows what is best…”

She averted her gaze from his for a moment, and then went on to say “After we have gone with her to Gondor and other lands, I plan to stay in Mirkwood for a good few years. Whether she will return to join us here, no one can yet know.”
Legolas’ voice wavered, and he almost broke into tears. “ I don’t think she will.”

Eärnil_Captain_Of_Gondor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 07:47
Thorongil was very pleased with the great company.
" I come from Gondor, " he said to them, " and although many things are straightway good, the King has asked me to send word to Mirkwood. " He smiled at Narya. " No Orcs, I'm afraid. At least not yet. I am told to come with you, on command of the King Elessar. "

He walked up to Narya and said: " 'Where there's a journey, there's a Ranger', Aragorn says. "
He turned to the others.
" I've brought some torches, and words of joy: Elessar awaits you all in his City and has a feast in mind when you arrive. "
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 07:54
Narya smiled thankfully. " I wish we could go now, but I'm afraid was have to wait for my brother first." She looked around. " Where is he anyway? Him and Aerhiril went to get the horses ages ago." She loooked to Thorongil. " Will you come with me to look for them? They could be in trouble."
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 08:04
((written By Aneras and Myself))

Aerhíril's heart filled with sorrow, she had never seen him this sad before. "I don't know what to say..." she said quietly "I don't know how I can help, Legolas."

"You can't. I just have to let her go." He said.

She nodded and then spoke softly "Maybe it’s for the best..." she replied, not knowing what else to do.

How is that the best?!" Legolas said in disbelief.

"I don't know, but you have to try and think what's best for her, what she wants. I mean I know you already do; but..." she tore her eyes away from his, for she had nothing to finish that sentence with.

Legolas sighed. "I know." He only then noticed that he was still holding her hand, and released it quickly.

Aerhíril moved away from him and began to lead the horses on again at a steady pace.
Their hooves clopped heavily against the stone floor, and their manes swung heavily as they walked.

Legolas coughed, and walked alongside her. He felt awkward now that he had told her of his worries.

"Well," she sighed as he caught up with her. "I suppose Pete will be out of that tunnel pretty soon, what do you think he will find in there?" she asked in an attempt to change the subject and end the silence.

Legolas laughed suddenly. "Oh, I can't tell you that. It'll spoil the surprise."

"So you do know what's in there?" She grinned. "Can you tell me? I'm not one for surprises anyway;" she joked.

"Oh no, Narya would kill me." He said, putting on a serious face. "This scar, "he pointed to a line on his neck," is from the last time."

"What last time," she asked, not able to believe that she had attacked her own brother.

"The Last time I told about a secret." He laughed. "Don't look so surprised, I'm used to it.We were only play-fighting."

"With what… guillotines?" She said as her eyes widened.

Legolas laughed. "Close enough. But this is only a little one. I've got way worse."

"You have?" she asked, still unable to imagine siblings trying to kill each other with weapons.

"Why are you so surprised? Don't you have any brothers or sisters?"

"No, I don't." She replied. "I am an only child."

"Oh, then you won't understand." He suddenly smiled mischievously. "So you don't have any protective big brothers?"

"No..." she smiled, slightly confused by the mischievous smile that spread across his face.

"Good good…" He said vaguely.

"What's good," she asked him knowing that he was hiding something from her.

"Nothing," Legolas said.

Usually she would have asked again, but she decided to leave it. "Fine, don't tell me;" she laughed. "I'll probably find out what you were on about later, I usually do." she joked.

"That's true." He laughed. His smile softened. "Thanks for cheering me up." He said.

"That's OK, I'm glad you feel better." She replied with a smile.

He reached over and gave her hand a little squeeze before moving it away.

Aerhíril smiled, and squeezed his hand in return. "Come on then," she said softly as they found themselves entering the forest again, "which way shall we go?"

Legolas looked around. There were many paths in Mirkwood. " It depends on how long you want to be." He said.

"How long is the longest route then," she asked him.

"It can be as long as you want. All the paths are one, and they just cross over."

"OK then, how about you just lead the way; and I will follow; go where you go?"

Legolas smiled. "Sure." He said. His own horse and Narya's now walked behind them. "So...how did you meet Narya?" He asked.

"Well," Aerhíril began. She had to think hard for it had been such a long time ago. "I think I first met her when we crossed paths with Sarac; some years ago."

"You met Sarac?" He asked. He had been friends with him long ago.

"Yes, I did. I met his brother once too... but I haven't seen either of them since we went our separate ways several years ago."

"What did you think of him?" He asked.

"At first, I thought he was a good elf, he was friendly but easy to anger, really easy to anger. I actually remember that he was quite dangerous..." She recalled.

Legolas grimaced. “Oh yes, he's dangerous alright. He stabbed me." He said

"He what," Aerhíril exclaimed rather louder than she had meant to. "Why? When?"

“Oh, it was some years ago. I got in the way of his and Narya's relationship, and he stabbed me. He was banished from Mirkwood and I've forbidden Narya to see him."

"I didn't know he did that..." she said, still shocked. Although she knew that he was most likely capable of it. "I can't say I ever want to meet him again then."

"Why not," He asked.

"Well, not only is he dangerous, but he stabbed you too." She replied.

Legolas smiled. "Aww, thanks." He said. "At least I know that Narya's protective of me too, she almost killed the guy. It's nice to know that someone cares about me."
:
Aerhíril nodded and smiled. "Yes, it always is." They were now walking at a slow pace through the forest, and already it was getting darker as the leaves began to thicken and block out the sun.

Legolas looked up. "It's getting darker. We must be getting closer to the others." He then looked around him. The path they were walking on separated, and they were only a little way away from the tunnel. He deliberately took the wrong path.

"I can't help but wonder what Pete has found in that tunnel," Aerhíril said again remembering the conversation they had had earlier. She followed him as he turned to go down another path, oblivious of where it led to.

"You'll have to wait and see. You don't want me to get killed do you?" He asked.

"No, of course not" She replied, accepting the fact that she would have to wait and find out when the time came. Suddenly Aerhíril was forced to stop as Celeblas stood in one place and refused to budge.

"What's wrong?" Legolas asked as he realised that she had stopped.

"I don't know," She replied as she turned to face her horse, and to give him a strong pull on the reins. But he just dug his hooves deeper into the ground. "He's never done this before..."

Legolas looked forward into the gloom. Something was rustling in the darkness. Noises were coming from all around them.

"What's that?" Aerhíril said as the other horses caught on and backed away furiously. So much so that she was forced to let go of the reins. Celeblas stood where he was, while the other ran off. Aerhíril looked around her as the noise went and turned into a tedious silence, wondering what was going on.

Legolas shot straight to his horses' side. "I really don't want to alarm you, but we might have to make a quick get away. Stay where you are now." Narya's horse walked forward. She had trained him as a war horse, and he wasn't afraid of anything. The silence and unnerved him. "Stay close to me."

Aerhíril nodded, and stayed silent. She could sense that something was wrong, that something was watching them. What was it? She her heart skipped when she felt something touch her back, later realizing that it was only her horse’s muzzle.

[Edited on 16/1/2005 by Aerhíril]
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 11:58
Inwë waited with Narya and Thorongil for Legolas and Aerhìril. She had made a fire to keep herself warm. She got a little hungry so she took a bite of some of the Lembas bread she brought. She looked at Narya.
"Hey, where do you think they are? It has been forever."
Laurie_Rokkoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 12:48
((Sorry it's been a while...anywhoo, I'm back now. ElvenPrincess, may I steal Inwë for a line or two?))

Sellaurëa got up from where she had been sitting and walked around to stretch her legs. Eventually she came back and sat down at the fire. She drew out her long knives and began sharpening them. She looked up and gazed around as Inwë inquired about Legolas and Aerhìril.

"Hey, where do you think they are? It has been forever."

Sellaurëa nodded in agreement and said,

"It has been almost an hour...could something have happene..."

She broke off and stood up suddenly, her face stern and her gaze peircing into the dark wood around them. Inwë looked up at her.

"What's up, mellon-nin?"

Sellaurëa didn't reply...she was listening intently. There was silence for a moment, then suddenly she whistled peircingly. There was an answering whinny. Tornë burst through the trees, his reins hanging freely. Sellaurëa ran to calm the stallion...the whites of his eyes were showing and his nostils were flared.

"Shhh, whoa, boy." She stroked his chest gently. "What happened?" she whispered to him. He pranced around her and snorted, pinning his ears and tossing his head in the general direction of the stables. Sellaurëa perceived, and asked,

"Is it Legolas and Aerhìril?" Tornë nickered. Sellaurëa stood for a moment, then turned to the rest of the company with worried eyes, who by now were all turned in her and Inwë's direction.

"You heard," she said to them. "What do you think we should do?"
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 05:31
(I don't care if anyone needs to use Inwë.)

Inwë had heard the noise too. She was not sure what to do so she just shrugged.
"I don't know mellonnin, but I'm thinking we should check it out together. What do you guys think?"
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2005 11:34
" No. It's too dangerous." Narya said. " It could be anything. I've lived in these woods for most of my life, so I'll be prepared for anything. You guys stay here, I'll go and scout around to see what's happening." The others obviously weren't comfortable with this arrangement. " Please, just stay. If one of you wants to come with me, fine, but no more." She said. She walked forward into the trees, then stopped and spun round to them. " Please, make sure that Pete's OK in there. You are not to leave him without anyone guarding that tunnel under any circumstances."
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 06:59

Legolas crept closer to Aerhíril, leading his horse with him. The other horses had bolted.
"Uh, can you fight well?" He asked.

"Well enough," she replied as she moved her hand to her weapons slightly "What is it?"

"I don't know yet." Something rustled to their left." Whatever it is, there's more than one of them." He whispered.

Aerhíril nodded, deciding that if there were many; that her bow would be the best means of defence. She drew it out, and placed an arrow in the string. "What shall we do?" she whispered as she moved closer to him and his horse.

Legolas' eyes were jumping from one place to the next. "Just don't move. They might not notice us." He whispered out of the corner of his mouth. She nodded slightly and stopped moving, but she was sure that it was too late to try and hide. Any moment now what ever it was would attack, it was only a matter of time...

Suddenly there was a loud cry as the leaves of one of the trees shook violently and something hissed quietly. Both their eyes shifted to the exact location where the sound had come from, only to find that it was then repeated behind them. Aerhíril had to fight off an urge to spin around and fire an arrow into the trees, in hope that it would hit its mark.

Meanwhile Pete was still walking through this tunnel that Narya had directed him into. He sighed for he felt like he had been walking for days, and there was no sign of the darkness ever ending. He looked back in hope of seeing the entrance to the tunnel, but was dismayed when he found that the small pale light that had been there was now gone. He stumbled forwards over the rocky floor and placed his hand along the side of the muddy wall. He could not see at all now, and fell over several times as he continued down the tunnel, resulting in muddy stains all the way up his trousers.

Finally, after what had seemed forever; he could see a warm orange light at in the distance; filtering through the passage. Pete then noticed that the muddy walls became smooth cool and light, and that the stone floor began to feel suspiciously like wood. This was odd by all means, and it confused Pete even further when the soft feel of a rug came to his feet. The light was now very close, and as he approached it he could see that there was a door ahead of him with a small window in place just above the knocker. On closer inspection, it could be seen that the door was a dark umber tone, and that it was indeed; rounded with no corners.

“Odd,” he muttered as he came right up to the door and stopped. Letting his natural curiosity get the better of him, he raised his hand and grasped the cold heavy knocker and bashed it against the door more than a few times. There was silence, and so he tried again. But just when he was about to deliver a sixth knock; the door flew open and he found himself face to face with a quirky hobbit, who had dark brown hair and intelligence in his eyes.
His face lit up with surprise.
“Why bless my soul! It’s Petergo!”
And Pete’s eyes widened in shock.
Eärnil_Captain_Of_Gondor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 07:56
Thorongil waited.
Narya had gone, Aerhiril and Legolas were off, and he was there guarding a cave.
" I wonder what's Aragorn's point in letting me guard an entrance, " he sighed as he lit a torch.
" Someone willing to come with me? " he asked and walked into the darkness of the cavern.

TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 08:04
Inwë saw Narya leaving and she asked if one of them wanted to go with her. But then the same moment, Thorongil announced that he was going inside the cave. She sighed and decided to go with Narya. She stood up and moved toward her.
"I will go with you."
She looked at Sellaurëa. If she went, then she would be alone. That is, if she went with Thorongil.
"Sellaurëa, I do not want you to be alone. If you want to go with Narya, then go ahead. I will go with Thorongil if you do not want to."

[Edited on 10/30/2004 by TheElvenPrincess]
Aneras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 08:19
As Narya waited for them to decide, she suddenly heard a hissing back in the woods. Before waiting for whoever was coming with her, she sprinted through the trees. She stopped just off the path where Legolas and Aerhiril were cowering. Her horse looked straight at her, and was about to walk towards her when she motioned for him to wait. She didn't want whatever was hissing to know that she was there.
Laurie_Rokkoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2005 11:48
Sellaurëa turned to Inwë and replied,

"I'll go with Thorongil, mellon-nin. Hannon-le for asking, though. You go on with Narya..she made need your help." She put away her knives and drew out her bow. Whispering a word to Tornë to stay threre, she made her way across the clearing to where Thorongil was waiting.

"Alright, then, let's get to it." she said to him, and he led the way into the dark tunnel.
Eärnil_Captain_Of_Gondor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 18, 2005 06:17
Thorongil heard footstpes behind him, and when he looked behind him, Sellaurëa followed.
" Thank you," he said to her, " I'm glad I'm not alone here."

The path went quickly down leading into more darkness.
" I wonder if this was a good idea, " he murmured, trying to find a light up ahead.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2005 07:27
"Pete!" The hobbit laughed again. "My, havn't you changed." He grinned broadly, and welcomed him in to his home. Pete on the other hand, was still flabbergasted.
"Dale," he finally managed to splutter. "Is that really you?"

"Ah so you do remember me cousin! And after all these years... why; I haven't seen you since you left the Shire!"

Dale walked through into the living room. His home (or hobbit hole) was very cosy indeed, and contained many elven items and odd pieces from around Mirkwood. It had a light breezy feel to the place, while at the same time it was very green and rather grey. Dale Green-Hill slumped down into a soft chair, and bode that his cousin do the same.
TheElvenPrincess
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2005 07:42
Sellaurëa turned to Inwë and replied,
"I'll go with Thorongil, mellon-nin. Hannon-le for asking, though. You go on with Narya..she made need your help."

Inwë. She turned toward where Narya was. "Narya?"
She sprinted quietly after her. She found her in the woods. She stopped by her and quietly caught her breath.
"What is going on?"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email