Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Keeper of Secrets
on: April 04, 2005 03:26
((OOC: Hi Guys. I've been wanting to do this for a while, so here it goes. I put this in the Tolkien Related just in case we wanted something 'different' to happen. I'm starting with my character Artanis. Who, in short, disguised herself as a male ranger so she could be trained by them without her family finding out. While she was with them she went by the name of Leithian (both characters are in the DB). This is free, non scripted, so have fun with it, we'll see where it ends up.))

Artanis drew her hood up to keep herself hidden. She wasn't going to let them catch her; not now, not after coming so far. There was someone following her. She lived with the rangers for 5 years and none caught on until this last week. I had no choice. I had to run or they would've sent word to my family. I can't go back to that life.

She had been running from the rangers for 6 days now. She hadn't even the faintest idea where she was going. All she knew is that she was going away from the danger. They were closer...too close. She didn't want to see who it was. More than likely, they were not her alli. Closer...closer. I have no choice. I must fight. I can't go back.

She slowed her pace and waited for the person to get close enough. She could hear them. Closer...closer. She quickly drew her sword, swung around and faced her possible adversary, at the same time drawing her hunting knife. Metal clashed against metal. She took her knife and held it inches away from the other person. She stared into the eyes of the one who could take away her freedom...
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Keeper of Secrets
on: April 05, 2005 02:52
((This sounds like a great RP! Mind if I join with my character Hemia?))

Hermia walked quickly and quietly through the trees. As she walked faster, she began to catch up with someone ahead of her. Stealthily she drew her sword, and carried on evenn more quietly then before. Soon she was right behind them, and they turned around suddenly, weilding a hunting knife. Hermia blocked the blow with her sword, and stared at her oponent with narrowed eyes, trying to make out who it was. Their face was hidden underneath their hood. "Who are you?" Hermia whispered.
Vanima_Naira
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 04:50
((Hi! Hope you don't mind if I join. Randir's in the database.))

Randir crept through the shadows, trailing Leithian, or Artanis, or whoever the person was. The Rangers thought they had known until last week. They had been shocked to discover she was a girl. As soon as her secret was out, though, she had fled. The Rangers had quickly conferred, and Randir was told to follow her. It was not that they didn't trust her; it's just that there were some things about the Rangers strangers were better off not knowing. He had steadily been drawing closer for the past six days. He was sure she knew someone was following her, but she had not been able to throw him off her trail.

Now he watched as a female approached, saw their swords block the other's swing, and heard the female ask, "Who are you?" He stepped out of the trees, and both women turned and looked at him, the female more surprised than Artanis. He answered Hermia's question, "I'm sure she can answer the question, but maybe not necessarily with the truth." He turned to steadily gaze at Artanis.

[Edited on 4/6/2005 by Vanima_Naira]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 05, 2005 06:06
((Hello, I hope it's okay if I join... Vesas is in the DB. I thought I'd do a post that doesn't require any interaction yet so Aredhel can respond to the others first and not have to respond to so many at once! In Vesas' background, I described how he began wandering. I am going to write as if he is just 15, and has only begun his travels...))

Vesas had been traveling for weeks now out in the open country. His only caretakers had been an elderly couple whom he had loved very much. Two years before, the old woman had died and just recently the old man had died. Those in the nearest village were trying to find another family with which he could live, but he didn't want to get close to anyone again. So he left.

Vesas ran toward an apple tree and began hurriedly picking and eating apples. He was famished! Vesas was so focused on eating that he almost didn't hear the commotion in front of him. The sound of clashing metal made him look up though. He dropped his food and hid behind the tree.

He couldn't hear what was being said, but when the man, a ranger, stepped out of the shadows, Vesas could feel the tension even where he was hiding. His curiosity got the best of him and he decided to try and get closer to hear what was going on. He stuffed three or four apples in his bag and moved as quietly as he knew how toward the three strangers.
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 02:05
Artanis looked a the ranger now approaching her. She recognized him as one of the rangers who had been in her company. She didn't know the other that she had crossed blades with, but both people were tracking her for some reason or another.

"Who are you"...the question she feared. If she said that she was Leithian, Randir would know the truth and not let it remain hidden. If she said the was Artanis, then she would openly admit who she was.

"I am..." she hesitated. Who was she? She took her brother's name in honor of what he had done to help her attain the life she wanted. She was living her brother's life, the one he was meant to live. Who is Artanis? She looked to Randir and saw the question he was really asking. Which life was she going to choose.

She lowered he sword and pulled her hood off. "I am....lost."

[Edited on 6/4/2005 by aredhel_mair]
AngelofValinor61
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2005 03:34
((Can I join?))
Hasel walked among the trees, her ranger garb camoflaging her. She had run from the group of rangers she had joined when she had seen another figure take off. She was following her, to see where she'd go. Hasel heard the sound of swords clashing in the shadows. She immediately put her back against a tree and cautiously turned her head and saw two women and a man. The women were the ones who'd clashed swords together. One of the women lowered her sword and pulled her hood off. "I am....lost." Hasel could tell that she was the one she had been following, so she stepped out of the shadows with her hood up and said, "Greetings."
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 04:46
((Um, I was just intending that Hermia met Artanis coincidentally... but I don't mind if you want to change that... ))

hermia was slightly surprised at the male ranger's sudden appearance and his confrontation with the woman. "I don't think you should treat her like that!" Hermia confronted him. Fortunately another ranger walked up before he could reply and got into an argument.

[Edited on 7/4/2005 by Meril841]
Vanima_Naira
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 06:24
((I know this isn't my thread, and I'm really not trying to be rude, but could we try to keep down the number of female rangers? Of course, Artanis was an exception.))

Randir started to reply to Hermia when another woman emerged from the shadows. She wore ranger garb, but he did not know her. He had only joined the rest of the rangers a short time before being sent after Artanis. He was surprised they had allowed a female into their group.

He turned back to Hermia. "I have a reason for treating her the way I do. I do not take people lying to me lightly." Then he looked at Artanis, and could see the confusion and desperation on her face and softened a little. He took her arm and led her away from the group. "Look, if you want to be Leithian, that's fine. If you want to be Artanis, that's fine. I will try to support you either way. But realize there will be consequences for whichever path you choose. And I'm sure you know I'm here because the rangers sent me. They need to know you will not betray us. We trust you, but you did give us quite a surprise."
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 08:53
((Hope you don't mind me putting this bit of drama in... ))

Vesas had heard enough. Obviously this was something that he shouldn't get involved in. He was close enough that he had heard the male ranger say, "...the rangers sent me... not betray us... quite a surprise." Whatever was going on, it was none of his business.

He turned to go, but Vesas was not very good at keeping quiet. His overgrown foot stepped too heavily on a fallen twig and it snapped loudly. The two rangers that were closest to him both looked up in surprise. Then the male ranger let go of the girl and began walking briskly toward Vesas.

Vesas was frightened and didn't know what to do. He ran. The ranger gave chase, no doubt fearing that an important conversation had been overheard. Vesas looked back to see that the ranger, who could move through the forest with ease, was gaining on him. Before Vesas could turn his head back around, he ran right into a tree, which knocked him to the ground and the world went dark.
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 11:49
((Hey guys, glad to see all of you here. I'm not going to initially place a lot of rules and restrictions on this, just so we can see where it goes, so if you have any ideas thats fine.
For now I think though that we should keep the number of new characters here at a minimum just until we know who we have with us. It can get kindof confusing if we have a ton of people here, so no more new people please.))

Artanis looked to Randir. He had just given her complete control of her destiny, but yet she still was disorented by such a simple question. "You have my assurance that no-one will know of things the shouldn't." she reassured him. "Though I'm not who I said I was, that doesn't make me a different person."

Both of snaped back to attention when they heard someone behind them. Randir immediately set off to see what was going on, Artanis was close on his heels. She wasn't paying attention as to if the others were behind her. How much did they hear, how much did they know. a few feet from where they were a person was sprawled out on the ground, obvoiusly out cold. She looked to everyone else. "I think we better camp here for tonight. We can wait 'till this one comes around."

[Edited on 7/4/2005 by aredhel_mair]
AngelofValinor61
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2005 12:40
Seeing that no one had answered her, Hasel walked around the three. As she circled, she heard a twig snap behind her, a man had just placed his foot on the stick, and was now running as fast as he could in the other direction. One of the other rangers, there were at least two, began to chase the other. There was a low thunk, and Hasel could see, there was the body of the man laying sprawled, he'd ran into the tree. Hasel walked in long strides after the other ranger, who'd ran to the body. "I think we better camp here for tonight. We can wait 'till this one comes around."
Hasel nodded, and began to make a small fire little ways from the trees.

Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 09:21
((Just in case anyone was confused, Hermia is not a ranger, although she would be very happy if she was! I hope that doesn't limit things... ))

Hermia eyed the ranger suspiciously as he went to talk to the lost ranger, and was about to turn to talk to greet the other, when a sudden loud snapping noise brought everyone to their attention. The other three ran off to chase the person, and Hermia walked after them, her hand on the hilt of her sword. She looked down on the person they had cought up with: knocked out. None of the others looked like they had hit him.
After they decided to make camp, Hermia asked: "so how did he get knocked out? And who are you all anyway?"
Vanima_Naira
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 09:34
Randir listened to Artanis when a loud crack brought them both to attention. He ran back towards the sound. He was not afraid of anyone listening in, but he did like to know who was around. Soon he saw a boy sprawled on the ground, out cold. Obviously, he was not much of a threat if he ran into trees like that. He agreed with Artanis's suggestion to camp there for the night. "We can decide what to do in the morning."

He heard Hermia's question, and after looking at Artanis, saw she was still not sure how to answer. He sighed. "Well, as for this boy, it seems he ran into a tree and knocked himself out. As for who we are, I cannot answer for the others, but I am Randir, and, as you can see, a Ranger of the North."

[Edited on 4/8/2005 by Vanima_Naira]
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 09:55
((Can't remember if I said this before, but Vesas is only 15 yrs old.))

Vesas slowly opened his eyes. As soon as he did though, he wanted to close them again. His head was throbbing. He turned his head slightly and realized he was lying next to a fire with a group of people around it.

They were talking with one another and did not seem to notice him moving. He closed his eyes again and reached up to his head where it hurt the most. His arm was heavy and hard to move. His hand touched a bandage on his forehead and he moaned from the pain.

He heard a voice say, "The boy is awake." He opened his eyes to see who it was, but he could only see shapes. Then another voice said, "He'll be alright, but he'll have a nice headache to go with that bump on his head..." The voices seemed to trail off as Vesas felt a hand on his head. Vesas looked up trying to see the face of the one taking care of him. "Who...?" he tryed to ask.

[Edited on 8/4/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
AngelofValinor61
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 01:14
Hasel knelt beside the fire watching the others. "And who are you all anyway?" Hermia asked everyone. The male ranger spoke, "As for who we are, I cannot answer for the others, but I am Randir, and, as you can see, a Ranger of the North."
Hasel answered as well, "I am Hasel, a female ranger, though I'm not sure why the Rangers let me join." Hasel looked towards the boy, she saw Artanis kneeling over the boy. "The boy is awake." said Artanis. "He'll be alright, but he'll have a nice headache to go with that bump on his head..." Hasel noted.
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2005 04:25
"The boy is awake" Artanis stated, more to herself than to the others. "He'll be alright, but he'll have a nice headache to go with that bump on his head..." she trailed off. She had still managed to avoid the initial question that started this whole adventure.

She looked off towwards the now darkening woods. She couldn't just keep running from who she was for the rest of her life. Randir, Hasel, Hermia, and the boy were all around the fire sitting in silence. It was time. Too long she had lied to those she loved. Now was her chance to start anew.

"I suppose you want to know who I am." She paused, the others were staring at her. "To be honest I don't really know myself. I am...Artanis, also a ranger from the north." She felt light, free, but then she caught herself again. "...but If anyone asks, I am Leithian." She looked up to see confused looks "Perhaps, in time, I can tell you, but please don't ask me to now."
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 06:35
"I'm Hermia." Hermia said, when everyone had introduced themselves. "I'm from Minas Tirith. It's a pleasant city, but after a while you get sick of being couped up behind the walls, and wish to see the forests and rivers and mountains of the world." She sighed. "my family hardly understand. All of my closest relations have lived in the city all their lives, and they don't understand why I get sick of it."
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2005 08:45
Seeing that everyone was introducing themselves, Vesas tried to sit up. His head still throbbed and he was a bit dizzy, but the main thing that hurt was his ego. He still couldn't believe he had run right into a tree.

Sheepishly, he offered his name and his story. "I'm Vesas. I never knew my family - or, well, my real family. I was raised by an elderly couple. They have since passed and I have only recently set off to find my own way. " Vesas looked down in embarrassment, "I obviously don't know much about traveling alone in the wilderness..."
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2005 11:27
"All the better reason for us to stay together; all of us." Artanis looked back to the others. "Word has it that there are bands of orcs and other dark things here. That's what's driven the majority of the people out of here." She thought for a moment. "If we're to rest at all here, we should probably post a watch. Any volunteers for first shift?"
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2005 06:53
Vesas hesitantly said, "I will do it." He knew that the others might not trust his ability to maintain a good watch, but that was all the more reason for him to volunteer. He was the one with the most to prove.

Vesas also realized they might be concerned about him staying awake with the bump on his head. "I know that I had a nasty encounter with a tree..." There were chuckles from everyone. Vesas looked into Artanis' eyes. "...I would really like to do this. Besides," he added with a little chuckle of his own, "I've already had enough sleep for the night."
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 07:35
Hermia stepped forward as well. "I don't mind taking a watch." She said. "And if there are two of us, there are more pairs of eyes to look out for stuff."
Vanima_Naira
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 10:50
Randir spoke up, "I can take the watch after you two."
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 11:14
Artanis laughed at Veses's response and nodded to Hermia and Randir's offers. She trusted her new friends completely and wasn't going to argue. She was exausted from running for near a week without a stop and didn't have much energy left to do anything.

"I'll take watch later tonight until morning arfter Randir."

She hated the thought of splitting up their group to put them on watch, but it was necessary. The danger here was real.
AngelofValinor61
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 14, 2005 11:48
"As you all have taken up the watches for tonight, I shall do the first watch tomorrow night." said Hasel, as everyone else said they'd take a watch.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2005 10:20
((I wasn't sure if Hermia was on watch at the same time, but that's what it sounded like. So if it wasn't supposed to be that way, I can change the post. Also Hermia, I hope you don't mind my posting about your character...))

Vesas was pleased that these experienced people were going to let him have such a big responsibility! He realized he was still hungry when he took his place to watch. He reached into his pocket to pull out an apple, but there were none. Vesas tried the other pocket - none!

What had happened to his apples? They must have fallen out as I was running or when I slammed into the tree, he thought. His hunger led him to the edge of the opening where the trees started again. There had to be more apples close by... Ah! He spotted some just a little ways off. As he started off, he half thought he should go back to his post, but his hunger drove him on.

Just as Vesas was coming back from the apple tree with pockets full of apples and one in his hand, he heard a noise. It came from just up ahead! He wanted to wake the others, but the noise was in between him and camp. Then a figure stepped out in front of him and he cowered on the ground. "Don't hurt me!"

"I'm not going to hurt you. Get up and be quiet!" It was Hermia. Her post had been on the other side of camp. What was she doing over here? "Where were you?"

Vesas was about to tell her he was hungry and had gone to get apples, but she motioned for him to be quiet again. She acted as if she had heard something. Vesas thought that her ears must be trained to hear better than him, because he didn't here anything at all.
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2005 04:40
(( Hermia was meant to be on the same watch, and I don't mind you posting a little bit for my character.))

Hermia was on her watch when she heard movement on the other side of the camp. She turned to see if Vesas had heard it, and he was gone! As quietly as she could, Hermia walked slowly through the woods, and found him coming back, his pockets full of apples. After a short conversation, she motioned Vesas to be quiet, she heard something. Whoever was moving, they were trying to do so as quietly as possible. Motioning for Vesas to follow, Hermia made her way as quietly as possible back to the camp.
She was only just in time...
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2005 07:51
Vesas was trying his best to walk behind Hermia quietly. He was trying so hard, he lagged behind a little. He was looking down trying not to step on anything that would make noise and he almost walked into Hermia who had stopped. They were standing just outside camp and Hermia motioned for him to crouch down beside her.

She pointed over toward where one of the others was lying. It was Artanis. Vesas could barely make out something near Artanis. The shadowy figure moved swiftly and Vesas was not sure who or what it was, but he could also see that Artanis was awake and had her hand on her sword...

---------------------------------------------

He couldn't be certain what happened next when asked later. He had no weapon or training to fight, so he had hid himself behind a tree...

[Edited on 18/4/2005 by peonyfoxburr]
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 11:25
((I dunno what/who we want the attacker to be. If someone else wants to add it to their own dark history, be my guest.))

Artanis was just starting to doze off when she felt a presence behind her. She kept her breathing steady to make her attacker think she was asleep. Overconfident opponents were easier to fight. She made a quick handsignal to Randir, hoping he had caught it (even though she didn't know exactly where he was) and slipped her hand down to her sword.

She heard a soft rustle. That was the cue she was waiting for. She rolled backward and came out of it with her sword in a defensive stance in from of her. The figure was shrouded in a dark cloak with the hood down low enough to cast shodows over their face. The dark one was the first to attack. She easily blocked his attack and started her own quick series of attacks, each only meeting metal. Forced back into a defensive stance, she was starting to get fatigued very quickly. This was no orc; they never used battle strategies like this. Her opponent scored a shallow cut on her thigh, which only enraged Artanis more. How could they have possibly gotten past the watch without notice? Why were they alone and only attacking her?

"HERMIA, RANDIR, VESAS, HASEL, SOMEONE HELP!!" she screamed over the clashing of their swords. She could only keep up this intense swordplay for a little while longer.

[Edited on 18/4/2005 by aredhel_mair]
Vanima_Naira
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 11:44
Randir had awoken, uneasy, so he decided to explore the woods around the camp. Within a few minutes, though, he heard the sounds of metal clashing, coming from the direction of the camp. The burst into the camp the moment Artanis yelled. The man was facing Artanis and did not see Randir. Randir drew his sword and knocked the other man's sword out of his grasp. He quickly followed by pressing his sword point against the other man's throat. "Speak quickly, or die," he growled.
AngelofValinor61
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2005 01:03
Hasel woke up suddenly as she heard the sound of swords clashing, and Artanis shouting. "HERMIA, RANDIR, VESAS, HASEL, SOMEONE HELP!!" Her voice was nearby. "I'm coming Artanis!!" she called and unsheathed her sword, Calanon, and rushed towards where she'd heard Artanis. She stumbled back when she saw the opponent. It was a tall figure clothed in black. Hasel rushed back forward and shoved her sword, attempting to get at the creature, but the thing seeing that it now had two opponents, backed into the trees.
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2005 12:09
((hope you don't mind me playing you characters a little bit.))

Artanis doubled over, breathing heavly trying to catch her breath. It had been a while since she had engaged in swordplay, neverless she gave a grim smile. This thing, whatever it was, was now outnumbered three to one. It didn't have a chance backed up against a tree with his sword at it's throat. 'Surrender or die was it's only choice', but yet, she felt something was very wrong. What scared her was that it wasn't showing any signs of surrender. Instead it gave a throaty laugh.

With that it kicked Randir in the stomach and ran around the tree, picking up it's weapon a it ran. Artanis and Hasel both ran after it, but no sign of it was to be found, not even to the rangers. It was like it dissapeared.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2005 12:34
((I hope you all don't mind how inept Vesas is and that he is so dramatic. He's a teenaged boy with a lot of problems...))

Vesas heard the fight, the horrible laugh and the footsteps running away. He poked his head out from behind the tree. He didn't see anyone. He decided to step out slowly to be safe.

From where he was, he still couldn't see anyone. He sat down and began to cry quietly. It's all my fault, he thought to himself. I shouldn't have left my post... Vesas didn't even consider the fact that he wouldn't have been able to do anything had he encountered the person at his post.

He felt like a helpless child not really ready to be out on his own, which is exactly what he was. He thought to himself that he didn't have any business offering to keep watch. He began to whimper a little as he cried. He didn't mind though, because no one was around as far as he knew. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder...
Meril841
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 09:39
(( I hope you don't mind me adding in a bit of strange magical type stuff? I'll edit it out if it's too strange.))

Hermia saw all that was happening on the other side of the camp, and quickly edged her way round behind the trees. As the creature escaped, she chased after it, but only managed to grab a scrap of it's robe, which tore off in her hand. As she looked at it, the black cloth became as if it were stained with blood. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up. Hermia dropped the cloth in astonishment, and it immediatly became clear of blood again. Quickly grabbing it, she stuffed it in a pocket, and made her way back to the place she had left Vesas.
But when she got there, he wasn't alone. The stranger was there with him. Quickly ducking behind a tree, she grabbed an arrow from the quiver on her back and strung it to the bow string.She aimed, fired.
It was too short. It pierced the creature's foot, and blood began to spurt out of the wound Hermia had made. She stood, amazed, as the creature pulled the arrow out of his foot and flung it on the ground. She knew Vesas would be in trouble. So she screamed.
"Randir! Hasel! Artanis! Vesas is in trouble! We're just outside the camp!"
Hermia was worried that they wouldn't be able to find them, so she ran to the camp, and began to lead the others to where Visas was.
peonyfoxburr
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 24, 2005 01:31
((I hope this is okay. I was just going along with the last post. If it's not okay, then I will change it...))

Vesas turned at the hand on his shoulder and saw the most horrible thing he had ever seen. It was a shadowy figure. Over it's head was a hood and even though Vesas was close, he could see no face - just darkness.

An arrow flew and struck the creature's foot. Blood came out and a twisted hand came out of the robe and plucked the arrow out. Vesas heard Hermia yell for help, but Vesas knew he was going to die...

From the hood, Vesas felt eyes boring into him, but he could see none. Then he heard a terrible voice. It seemed to whisper and scream at him at the same time. "Take it." The same twisted hand that had been on his shoulder handed him a rock. Then the creature ran off into the woods. The others ran after it again, but to no avail.

When the others came back. They found Vesas trembling, unable to speak. He would only stare into his hands at the rock he had been given...
aredhel_mair
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2005 11:22
Artanis heard the cry from Hermia and immediately ran to see what was wrong. The scene she came across was certanily an nteresting one. Vesas was slouched against the base of a tree in a starte of shock. Hermia didn't seem to be in much better condition as all the blood had drained from her face making her look very pale. She then noticed the blood near Vesas.
"Hermia, what happened. You look as if you've seen a spirit?" she addressed Hermia, as she seemed the most capable of answering at them moment. "Whose blood it that. Are you hurt?" She looked to Vesas. "What's that he's holding?" She moved to inspect it. She put her hand out to touch it and felt a hot aura of heat emmitting off of it. She quickly recoiled her hand. In the stone the was a symbol that was unmistakenly carved into it; the color of blood.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email