Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
Post Writers! (Not of FanFics)
on: June 13, 2005 07:48
I didn't find a thread on this, so hey I fugured it might fit here. Do you write? Short stories, novels, etc.? Talk about it here! Am I the only one who LOVES to write? I hope not! So come on in and join the discussion! I also have a question. What do you feel is the best way to start off a book?
purplefluffychainsaw
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Writers! (Not of FanFics)
on: June 14, 2005 05:02
I write pretty much anything fantasy themed... I have eight novels going on and off (a series of 7 and a one off), I normally have 10+ fanfictions going, I do poetry and song lyrics... ^^

Starting off a book I'll write a scene that comes into my head and work from around there.... The Six Kindred (my 7-part series) started like that. Origanally it was just the second book as a one off, that turned into a trilogy, and then I thought of the six kindred... and it's still growing, I think of new stuff everytime I start to write. I use sketches as a way to expand settings and characters as well.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 10:53
I *love* writing! I have so many stories going that I forget about them, but there are currently 2 that I'm really worknig on. One is fantasy themed, with elves and such, and the other is 'normal fiction' save that its set in a midieval-type town.
When I start a story it usually branches from whatever idea I have. Usually I come up with a character, then introduce that character in a setting to kick everything off. Example: for my assasin-for-hire-normal-fiction story, I put my assassin riding over the plain on a cold, misty morning. For the elf story, I had a single elf wandering through a field of battle, wounded and dazed as he surveyed the mounds of dead soldiers. That intro I was pretty pleased with, for once
I'm having a delimma about how to bring in my 3rd main character in the assassin story. I have two coniving, mean people-- the assassin, and the young man who's going to hire him-- but I've got to have a 'good' person in there somewhere. I'm at a loss. *shrug* ideas would be helpful! I'd post the intro to the other story, but I dont want to take up a lot of room with something that would probably get looked over. ^_^
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 03:05
I ADORE Writing! I write Poetry and keep a journal, but when I was younger, I used to write alot of stories, including a bunch that were Titanic themed.:love:
Aragorns-Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 04:29
I love writing. I wrote stories all the time when I was little, and I still do. I got an award for writing something patriotic (and I'm not bragging, though.) One of my best friends and I are working on our first novel and planning the sequel.
Twylight_Aelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 07:05
I've been writing for years now on this one story . I finally finished the first book (novel) just this winter. I also have written a couple of songs and some old-fashioned poems. Er, a couple of free verse ones too. I've had a few attacks for writing old-fashioned poems . You know, swords and lords and all that. 'Beowulf' themes. Fantasy/sci-fi is my strength.

I hope to become a professional writer some day .

[Edited on 6/15/2005 by Twylight_Aelf]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: June 15, 2005 10:13
I love writing, so much so that I'm (hopefully!) going to spend the next three years of my life on a creative writing course. The only full-length novel type story I've ever finished was a fanfic back when I was nine because of plot trouble. At first I could never think of a plot, then I started to come up with too much plot that was all kind of grey matter and had nothing of any real interest in it. Now I've finally got me a plot that I think could go far, and one of my biggest aims this summer is to write it up in its entirity.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2005 05:24
I LOOOOVE writing!!! I've been in love with books since about 4 years of age. I've got, oh, about a dozen fanfics and one fiction novel in the making at the moment. Many of my fics are just ideas, though. The novel is just an outline right now, but I'm working on it, with advice my English teacher gave me when he looked it over. Sub-plots, sub-plots, sub-plots... that's the only thing he said I needed, so I added one. And once I actually get it into greater detail, I hope to get it to a publisher.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Aerhíril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 12:53
I love writing too! Not just in RP-Gs, but I have also started my own novel, which I am planning to be a three book series. I won't say what it's about though, that's a secret! But I am enjoying writing it, and if it is good enough then with some luck it may get published. Who knows? I also write songs and poems too, and occasionally the odd article. I'm actually meant to be writing one now, but haven't quite got round to starting it yet...... lol
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 01:01
I have a question for yall fellow writers-- is it too much to introduce three main characters in the first chapter of a story, if they're not interacting with eachother yet? I'm having an issue with this. rawr. advice appreciated!
Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 01:12
Personally I wouldn't do it, dreamdancer, but then, my other main character doesn't have anything to do with the story 'til later so I never really tried it. It could work, if it's done well.

As for liking writing...um...does spending six to eight hours a day working on my story count as liking to write? 'cause that's pretty much what I do. It's so much fun. I've been working on this one story for a little over a year now, and I think it's finally starting to come together. I only have about the first forty pages done though...but if anyone is interested in reading it and telling me what they think, I'll be glad to send it to you...just pm me or something and let me know. It's a fantasy story, for anyone who's interested.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 01:13
I have a question for yall fellow writers-- is it too much to introduce three main characters in the first chapter of a story, if they're not interacting with eachother yet? I'm having an issue with this. rawr. advice appreciated!

...Well, I do almost that many, if not more, in the novel I'm writing. There are two conflicting countries, and I introduce the king and queen of each country, plus the prince of one and princess of the other (both are sole heirs). So, in comparison to six, I'm thinking three would be okay.

[Edited on 19/6/2005 by Ireth_Telrunya]
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 12:15
thanks ^_^ I think I've stuck with two, plus a few minor characters. I convinced dear mother to read what I had, and she liked it. I succeeded in creating a character who has a dislikable personality... yay for those rotten, black-hearted ones! But I've got to bring in another character-- shes a coniving meanie. ... *looks at story* I've got a lot of mean people in this one. egh 0.o
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 02:25
WoW!!!! I am so happy to have found some fellow writers not of only fanfics. Many of your novels sound really neat, hopefully I will be reading some of them some day. I am actually in the process of writing my very first novel, called Dark Moon Rising. Actually, as of right now, its just an outline, but hey I have a lot of details, I just have to put them into written form. I can't wait to get started! Anyway, I am glad to have found some other writers here!
And I think if you introduce the characters in a format that isn't too confusing, it should be o.k. I actually ahve introduced a few at a time before, which was really fun.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 02:27
I've got to bring in another character-- shes a coniving meanie. ... *looks at story* I've got a lot of mean people in this one. egh 0.o

I've got lots of meanies in my story too... and one meanie-turned-good. She's also a conniving female, actually the princess of her country. Moms are good advisors, aren't they?

dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2005 02:56
yes, they are ^_^ Shes usually brutally honest with me about my writing, and since shes 'mom'. shes's allowed to be.
I'm working on developing this character... she has no name, as of yet. But shes going to be the one who hires my assassin. any name ideas? ?)
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 04:10
Well, what kind of story is it? Is it LotR-based, or something completely different, like mine? I just based my character's name off of the Latin word for bad, which is "mal", and added some random letters. There I got Malnira. You could PM me with your story ideas if you wish, and we could discuss it more.
ConuirethFaelwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 25, 2005 05:10
I write just about anything... I love poetry and fantasy based stuff though...
My friend and I are writing a novel that's called The Realm of Forgotten Heroes that we've been working on for a year and a half...
I like to write short stories, and I wrote this really sweet one based on the part in the Bible (sry if ur not Christian, I swear I'm not being biased or something...) where the children go to be blessed by Jesus. If anyone would like to read it, just ask me...
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2005 07:43
I love writing too! I write fictional novels and some poems...

To introduce a story, I usually start off with a prologue that ends kinda shockingly (oy that sounded weird). Ummm.....here's an example I'm just making up as I go...

She stumbled through the dark forest, tripping on roots and panting through cold lungs. Nothing but dark branches was in her view. Behind her silence reigned. A light now shone in front of the girl; renewed with hope, she dashed towards it. It was getting closer, closer, closer...

And suddenly a little girl, barely beyond five summers, bursted through a tangle of trees, running into the air. She had rushed off a cliff, and below her was only a rocky shore.

The first and last sound that night was a scream.

That was kinda bad but w/e...Later in the story I probably would make the main charac find this girl's dead body and it would somehow fit in w/ the plot...And I don't say the name of whoever I'm writing about until later so that readers have to keep reading.
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2005 07:51
yes, they are ^_^ Shes usually brutally honest with me about my writing, and since shes 'mom'. shes's allowed to be.
I'm working on developing this character... she has no name, as of yet. But shes going to be the one who hires my assassin. any name ideas? ?)
Umm...you can look in the phonebook for existing names and give and take a few letters. You could do the same for words of different languages.
VendeaErunyauve
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 07:49
Poetry! :love:

If you like to write LOTR poetry, please click on the Poetry Club link in my sig!

[Edited on 18/7/2005 by VendeaErunyauve]
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 06:28
Ooh...didn't realize this thread was here or I would have poked my head in earlier I write as well. I'm working on what I hope will be a series...it's sort of action/adventure. I started it last November and kind of gave up on it for a while (lousy writer's block, lol), but I've decided to rewrite what I have and finish it

As for names, I usually go to behindthename.com and look there So many names on that site...
9digithobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2005 04:08
Oh wow, cool that we have so many writers here... I've been a writer, hm, ever since I learned to write, more or less, and most of what I write is SF/F... I have about a dozen completed short stories that I think I will be able to sell whenever I actually get off the fence and try... several of them, and several of the stories I'm still working on, are in the same "universe" though they won't technically be a series... and I have a completed novel, 500 pgs, I think it's pretty good but it still needs an edit, I'm not even gonna try to publish it until I make a name with some short story sales...

For those of you who want extra opinions on your stories, if they are SF/F/H, there is a very good online critique group, http://www.critique.org which I have found helpful.
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2005 04:09
As for names, I usually go to behindthename.com and look there So many names on that site...
Woah...that's an awesome site!
Niroveka
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 04:38
Hello there! I'm new to forums, so if I do smthg. wrong don't hesitate to tell me!

About writing, that includes me too! I write a lot of fanfiction and am working on a fantasy novel as well. I tend to like stories that start out with a bang, smthg. that jumps out at you and keeps you hooked. So, my advice to other writers would be to think about your audience, and also the kind of beginning you like to read when you start a new book. It helped me a lot!
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 06:32
Woah...that's an awesome site

Yeah, I love it! I find it's one of the best places to find a good name for my characters
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2006 07:09
I love writing!
My main problem, however, isn't starting stories, its finishing them. I start stories all the time, but rarely finish, unless its for school. This can be benificial, because I've got pretty good at starting stories, but I have very little experience with endings!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: March 17, 2006 11:37
Same here, Anoria!

I love writing, too! I'm actually working on a story (fantasy type, set in a medieval-like time), but I don't have a name for it. It's about four friends (two humans, Ariana and Arthur, an Elf, Beyal, and a centaur named Silvermane) who get in trouble with the local toughs and have to run for their lives. They blunder into a dark wood called the Forest of Consternation and get caught by a gang of bad guys. They battle their way out, and whilst wandering around the forest they run into a griffin called Sir Perilous IV, or Perry for short. He is friendly, and takes the four to a rag-tag group on the run called the Dragons. They (the group) recognize the four as people predicted to come and rescue the country (called Laegna) from the oppression of the Deji-thus by rekindling the remains of the Kule-alei.
Unfortunately, I have to re-write my first beginning because I wasn't satisfied with it, but I'm working on the 'new' first chapter. By the time I'm done it should be fairly complicated.

I also like to write little fanfics, some nonsense regarding my animals, etc. I wrote a hilarious story called Feeding Frenzy earlier, but I need to post it in Writer's Block.
Arawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2006 07:33
You guys might be my saviours! I love writing and I've been trying to write this fantasy novel for about two years. Thing is a) I've got a writer's block at the moment and b) having reached about 105 pages I can't really find my thread anymore. Does this thread sound weird? "A girl, sent by the Goddess to save the world, has magical powers and wanders around not really doing a lot"

I've written quite a few short stories and various poems (old fashioned style), but I have the same problem, Anoria and Shadowfax: I can't finish the other three novels I've started
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2006 01:54
I start poking my head in other forums besides RP, and I find a home away from home...

I'm a writer, though recently I've had exams, etc. to worry about, and have gotten into the largest writing slump with this one story...I've been working as an editor on it for so long I think I've forgotten how to write it! Anoria, I understand--the only slightly longish story I've completed is a fanfiction of four whole chapters. But even then, I figured out what I had didn't work, so I have to go back and add another three chapters...And that's a fanfiction, so it's not going to be finished anytime soon.

Arawn, maybe you need some sort of plot twist. Maybe it's just me, but I love throwing the reader for a loop (that's kind of my niche--I use shock and intensity to keep the reader with me). Throw them something they're wouldn't have expected even in a million years; not saying to write outside your style and write a nuclear holocaust (unless that is your style)...But my favourite bit of advice came from a writing friend years ago--writing block means something big needs to happen.

[Edited on 18/6/2006 by pitya]
Hîthwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2006 08:34
Writing!!!

I love writing, if you didn't notice . I have over four dozen stories in some form or fashion, but I only have about a dozen that are actually fairly worked on, and in those only about half are anywhere significant. =P But really, I love all (or most) of my stories. I write mainly fantasy, sci-fi, and fiction (in that order). I've never written fan-fiction before, but I am actually working on one so I can become familiar with an RPG character I just created.

Starting a story? My stories start with anything from a scene, character, idea, quote. I usually write a scene in the story first-- no necessarily the first scene in the story, but a scene where the character reveals themselves to me. =P

Muse anyone?

~Hîthwen
Fellowship
Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 06:31
I love writing more than anything!!. I have written one short story, and I'm formulating an original fantasy story. I have one fanfic done and I'm working on it's sequal.
At the moment though Writers block is hitting pretty hard.
Arawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 08:15
I'm out! My writer's block is done with *knocks on wooden table*. I left the bit I couldn't get on with and started to write at the next bit. That's a pieceof advice. Write at a different scene and fit it in afterwards!
LadyLegolas113
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2006 08:07
Wow it has been a while since I created this board...and even worse since I've written anything. I have the absolute WORST writers block right now. Any tips? I've had it for probably a good three months. It will NOT go away. I am hoping that now that I have started school and with English class it might go away, but til then any ideas???
darkfey9
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2006 05:47
I LOVE TO WRITE! :love::heart::love::heart::love::heart::love::heart::love::heart::love::heart:

heh heh, that clear enough? lol

I've started like a zillion stories, not all of them have gone anywhere. The worst part is, I'll go back to something I started like six months ago, read it, and be like "this is shit." Then I throw it away and have to start all over again. :banghead:

I write poetry, most of which people look at and say to my parents "Does your daughter take anything for her depression?" (I like the color pink for everyones info! There, that should conquer all 'maniac cutter depressed person' comments! lol)

I write song lyrics, most of which aren't very good, though I think "Maenad" has potential. I'm precisely sure what it's about myself! It was one of those times when inspiration suddenly hits, I type like mad, read what I've written and say "where the hell did that come from? I really don't remember writing all that!" Emi'la might go somewhere. It's about loving your idol to the point of depserate imitation, then relizing you've grown to ambitious and you're secretly dreaming of replacing that idol in popularity.

Like I said, I've written a zillion (unfinished) stories. Right (no pun intended) now I'm working on a NaNoWriMo novel. (I don't think I'm going to finish! )
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email