And he was dead serious too. LOL. :rolling:

[Edited on 27/12/2007 by writer900]
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: December 27, 2007 06:42
Alright. This is the funniest question I've been asked: "What's taters?"

LOL, my Sunday school teacher asked me that one also, also sounding serious.

I get alot of stupid questions everyday. like:

what's numenor?
is it gimli's stew that was so gross?
is it elwyn's stew?
did Tolkien copy Rowling?
what is Lord of the Rings?
whats the whole point of LotR?
...and I always have to give long explanations to thoes whom ask me thoes questions.
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2007 10:51
What is an orc? What is an elf? What is LotR? Who is Tolkien? What is an Uruk-hai? Etc. ... etc. ... etc. ...

It would be easier to actually ask them to read the books, watch the movies or whatever.. but no, no, I have to be the one answering.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2008 07:57
A new one - only I wasn't asked. My brother was. He had just received a Sting replica for Christmas (I'm jealous) when...

My aunt: So what's the significance of the sword?
My brother: It's from Lord of the Rings.
My aunt: Oh.
My brother: It's Frodo's sword.
My aunt: Did you say Fodo or Fido?
Laiquendi~Rodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 04:43
I had one the other day:

My sister: (watching FotR with me) So that guy, Stridex or whatever-

Me: It's Strider.

Sis: Ohhh. Right. So he's a Ranger dude right?

Me: Yes. :banghead: He is. :banghead: He's also the true king of Gondor.

Sis: Seriously? Is that the one with the horses?

:cry: She is such a blonde... And she's read the books! But it was awhile ago, and she hadn't seen the movies yet.
"But all the time, of course, I wanted to get off the Earth. That's how I got the notion of studying a meteorite, instead of mooning about with houses, ruins, trees, boulders, and all sorts of other things." -J.R.R. Tolkien
ssiegler
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2008 04:00
I actually have something realtively amusing. I think...I hope. So...I got the Children of Hurin calander for Christmas (Yeh!)..Anywhos, my dad asked me what I had gotten...

Me: 'The Children of Hurin'
Dad: (about the name Hurin) *mimics me* do you have to say it like it's a different language?! Just speak normal english!!*continues to make fun of me and my pronunciation of Hurin's name*
Me: :twitch: Umm...well...it kinda is a different language..

Yeah...both of my parents are pretty bad, but I don't get many strange comments b/c I'm sort of secretive (or at least not very open) about meh M.Earth obsession. I should stop that, shouldn't I?

Ah! Another. Speaking of the Children of Hurin. I convinced my mumzie to buy it for me...she said that she wanted to read it first though. Fine; but she's never read the Silmarillion. I asked her who Feanor was (just b/c he was the first influential 1st age (well, not exactly 1st age, but influential..you see what I mean) person I could think of.)

Mom: Feanor? Isn't he that king guy?
Me: *killing brain cells on the car dashboard thing* :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Yes! Our dear Feanaro is now Elessar

Save me.

Lhachnen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2008 04:25
I got this one in my history class a couple months ago.
"Isn't Lord of the Rings that movie about this guy who finds a magic egg (in reference to Eragon), yeah, and then a bunch of people go and kill this evil midget or whatever."
I honestly wanted to start throwing things, its just like how could you possibly be that wrong and stupid at the same time???? :banghead: I have very little patience for stupidity...

[Edited on 25/1/2008 by Lhachnen]
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2008 11:49
Oh man I would probably join you in throwing things!
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 01, 2008 06:21
Someone asked me, "What in the heck is a Gondor?" I was laughing so hard at that stupid question
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
elfinthewood
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2008 08:13
Several times, actually.

My lil' sis (age 9): "So, the ring can posess people? It operates like a Horcrux, you mean..."(horcrux is H.P, for those who don't know)
A friend: "What's with the huge flaming eyeball? You know, theres a visine for that..."
My other friend: "Wait a minute, I thought that Aragorn kid was an man! What do you mean he's a Numenor? What is Numenor?!"
Lil sis, again: "Why is Frodo leaving again? I thought they saved the shire!"
Random Not-Fan: "What is a Nazgul? I think my dad caught that sometime last year... Nasty cough, too."

That's mine! Admittedly, not so bad. Honestly these made me laugh, sort of...
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2008 01:49
As this little gem opens - at school - I am walking to lunch with a friend of mine (T), to whom I have just lent my copy of the Sil.

Me: ...So, yeah, it's really good. Bit hard to understand at times, but it makes the whole mythology easier to understand.
T: I see. Hey, look, a pronunciation section.
K [walks up to us]: Hey, what book is that?
T: 'The Silmarillion.'
K: Oh. [pauses] Is it in Latin?

[Edited on 12/3/2008 by Michaela]
Naera
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2008 04:41
Okay, I used to be very quiet about my LOTR obsession, but lately, I don't care, because its a classic, and I have more brain cells than those who dare mock the brilliance of Tolkien. And, its funny to see what questions the idiots come up with.

My boyfriend called me while I was babysitting, and asked, "Why are they all crying?" "Huh?!" He says, "I am watching the Lord of the RIngs. Why are they crying?" I asked him which one it was, he said, the first one. I was like oh, the old dude in grey, Gandalf just died. He says no, in this one he's wearing white. All the munchkins are crying, and one with black hair turned around and smiled like the Waterboy. I smacked my head, and said, Greg, thats the third one. Frodo, the black haired one, is leaving to go to the elve's paradise place over the sea. he said, so, they're midget elves? I hung up.
:twitch: :angry: :nono:
One day in history, my teacher saw my replica of the Ring on my chain, and said, One Ring to rule them all, huh? I said, no this is a replica. And an idiot, lets call him zach, said, is that the one with the Dragons? :banghead:

another, my brother recently wanted to read the Hobbit. He asked if he could borrow it, and I said, did Gandalf hit you with the stupid stick this morning, and he said, (oh this is too horible) "WHo's Gandalf?" And he was dead serious.
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2008 05:29
Naera, no offense meant, but I think your boyfriend set a record for denseness about LotR. The only thing I have is people constantly pronouncing Aragorn as Aragon :dizzy: . I keep telling them he is the King of Gondor, not a province in Spain!! :nono:
Naera
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2008 05:54
No offense taken, Eowine. He is VERY clueless with lotr. It made me sad whe I first found out. But I love him anyway. :heart: Oh, that IS annoying about Aragorn. And if I say anything about Pippin, people are always like, "Its Pimpin, not Pippin." it makes me angry. :banghead:
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 03:58
My brother calls the Elves Pixies... :cry:

And everyone gets confused about Aragorn "coming back to life all of the time..."

I'm the only LOTR fan for miles around :cry: :banghead:

[Edited on 6/4/2008 by Galethiel]
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 04:05
My mother calls the Elves "pixies" or "fairies" all the time, and when I start yelling, "They're not PIXIES!!! They're ELVES!!!", she goes, "What's the difference?" Prompting me to make faces like this: :twitch: :angry: :nono: :cry: :banghead: And then rant at her for an hour on the differences between Elves, pixies, and fairies.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 08, 2008 06:39
Yeah, one time my mum went into an hour long rant about *Pixies coming back to life* and *dying* and then *living* all the time. Then I realised she meant the Elves. But I was like ???, "coming back to life?..." I'm the only one around here that's into Tolkien's books.

And this one time I was doing a performance of songs from The Lord of the Rings, and my brother (the same *pixie* one) was announcing it, and he said: 'music from Lord of the Rings..."

And I went:' The!
Him: Alright, Lord of the Rings.
Me: ???
I'd meant The Lord of the Rings.
That's not even funny, I guess you had to be there at the time.:love:

By the way, I'm not some brilliant concert musician or anything, it was just a mini performance for an anniversairy (sp?) present.:love:
Ven
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2008 01:31
A friend during The Two Towers while Aragorn and Arwen are kissing:

"Oh yeah man! Are they gonna do it?!"

My Dad:

Are Legolas and that guy who plays Mr. Smith the only guy Elves?

My Dad again:
Does Gimli get married?
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 09, 2008 04:05
I get the Mr Smith questions all the time.

Though, I was the one who'd always fill in those silences after Elrond talks with... :Mr Anderson.
Like... Welcome to Rivendell, Mr Anderson.
Electra_Calen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2008 05:45
"Why is that guy just a big flaming eyeball?" :dizzy:
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2008 01:00
My parents are great with my LotR obsession. Even helps me as much as they can to get things, like the map of Arda, and they were the ones suggesting to my brother that he'd give me the books (he was going to throw them, he doesn't like LotR, he thinks they are boring), because they had tried to find me my own copies but without result. So I cannot complain... Though... my mother seems to have problems between the difference between goblins and Elves... I try to explain, but she forgets it. Oh well... Better to laugh than cry ... In a way hilarious

elfinthewood
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 04:36
In class we somehow began talking about the Hobbit, and these are some questions that resulted:
"Isn't that the movie where the midgets go to, like, 'h-e-double-hockey-stick' and throw in a stupid ring?" :angry: :banghead:
"What's a hobby-hit?" :nono:
"Say, you watch those movies, right? Didn't they do a book-spinnoff of them?" :angry: :nono: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And after they found out I had seen the movies, this is the stuff that they came up with:

"What's a New-men-or? Is it like a food?"
"Why do all the guys in those movies cry?"
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 04:49
Whoa. I really can't believe you managed to put up with that without strangling somebody. I would have started throwing furniture at the third one and yelling about how the books came first and calling them many names not acceptable for use in public. Or I'd call them stuff like "orc" and "spawn of Morgoth". Or both.
And I just found this out the other day: my mother had watched FOTR five times, and listened to me go on about LOTR for eternity, without ever figuring out that Sauron and Saruman were different people. Such an atrocity is this, in my opinion, that I lost the ability to rant and just went:
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 06:40
:banghead: I would've collapsed.

Although once, to check he understood, I asked my brother who he thought 'The Lord of the Rings' was, and he replied with:

"Sigmund."

Me: Who???
Him: Sigmund, y'know that Sigmund dude.
Me: There wasn't a 'Sigmund'.
Him: Yeah, the white guy.
Me: Saruman? ...
Him: Yeah, him, Sigmund.
Me: Wrong!
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 06:58
*ROFL* I... don't... believe... this. "Sigmund"?! "Sigmund"?! Oh, the cluelessness of siblings, huh? (And parents...)
Another little gem from my mother:
Her: "Why don't they just give everybody a Ring?"
Me: "Buh?" :twitch:
Her: "It's like nuclear bombs. Every country has a nuclear bomb, and now we actually have peace cause no country is more powerful than another. So if you gave everybody a Ring, they'd all be just as powerful as each other..." etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...
Me: "But then it wouldn't be the One Ring."
Her: "Yes, that's the point."
Me: "Buuuuhhhh????" :twitch:
Then I had to explain to her the entire concept of "ultimate power" and the One Ring having said "ultimate power". Then I had to explain that, if all of Middle-Earth somehow didn't fall under the power of the One, we'd have a world of Dark Lords. She didn't get it. Uuuugggghhhh.... *keels over* (mumbles) The cluelessness, ahhh, the cluelessness... it's killing me...
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 07:01
Argh, they're just too clueless :banghead: More than one ring of power? It'd be like, the Million Rings. *The Lord of the Thousand Rings*.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 07:10
Technically, there is more than one Ring of Power. The Nine, the Seven, and the Three, remember? The One Ring is just the most powerful.
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 07:12
Oh yeah... :dizzy: Okay then, I meant more that one One Ring. This is getting confusing.
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 07:15
Could you imagine, instead of The Lord of the Rings we'd have something like "Frodo and the 1001 Rings". Oh the isanity of it all. :dizzy: :dizzy:
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 07:18
Poor Gollum, that's all I can say.
parabola_weed
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2008 08:34
heh...the first time my sister watched fotr with me
she thought the hobbit's feet resembled mine own D;...
ever since, she refers my feet to a hobbit's ><

...then one time when I was watching it my dad came in like halfway during the movie and was like "Rudy!"
...no dad that's Sam...xD

^^
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2008 01:50
The clueless never ends, does it? Okay, here's the latest:
I'm on the computer, trying to preserve my rights to privacy by pulling down the computer lid whenever my mum comes near. This kind of annoys her cause she doesn't see why I should ever need or want the tiniest bit of privacy, at least when it comes to the computer. And she says...
"I know you're on that Council of Eragon thing, so why are you hiding it?"
:twitch: :dizzy: :angry: :banghead:
When people don't even know the difference between a 16-year-old Dragon Rider and a couple-of-millennia-old elf lord... well, as Pippin said: "Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?"
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: April 17, 2008 03:14
Council of ERAGON!!! Ohhhh, I feel for you, Lolly! Messing up LOTR is one thing, but messing up the CoE! That's just wrong!
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email