Register

<< First1011121314Last >>
Author Topic:
strider1991
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: July 19, 2007 10:20
While watching the movie with one of my friends, he asked me "The Eye of Sauron? Where's the rest of him, and what is he going to do with the ring even if he gets it?"
Needles to say I was speechless.
~Larxene~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2007 10:45
One thing I've been asked:

"What is LOTR?"

That made my eyes "pop".

Uhm...can't think of anything from the top of my head ^^

Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2007 06:33
Eru Iluvatar, strider1991! *bursts out laughing* Poor you. That definitely deserves a place on the Top Ten Weirdest LotR Questions Of All Time List.

I've only gotten one new one (primarily because I've been concerned with...erm...other things *coughHarryPottercough* :blush: ) lately: "Who's Denethor, and is he a good guy or a bad guy?"
Hawkstra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2007 04:57
At my school I'm known as "The one who likes Lord of the Rings" So one day I was re-reading FotR...
Friend: What book is that
Me: The Fellowship of the Ring
F: Is it good.
M: Mmmhmm
F: So how many times have you seen the movies?
M: More than you can safely comprehend
F: What about the books? How many times have you read those?
M: *glances up* Several.
F: Who's your favorite character?
M: I'm not sure... They're all great. Faramir or Merry probably.
F: I like the arrow guy.
M: Legolas?
F: Yeah *mimes shooting a bow*
At which point another non-Ringer came up
F2: You'd do good in Lord of the Rings...
M: Thanks
*sigh* People really don't get my obbsession. And to think, my mum originally had to force me to watch FotR... :heart:
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2007 12:26
Oh man, the other day I got one.
dad: soo, the eye of Sauron. If he's an eye, where's the rest of him?
me: :nono:

and then there's this one.
Me: look! I'm the Eye of Sauron! * has paper pamphlet pushed so it maked eye shape against my face*
mom: The eye of what? Katie, go put that paper up, I need that!
TinwerínaMíriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2007 02:27

and of course my english teacher! who has never read lotr and tried to read the hobbit, but stopped at page 10 because he was confused by the name

Eru Iluvatar :banghead: I feel awkward to say that cause I'm an English teacher myself but what a dork!!!
I wish I could have students like you miss_Eowyn or any of you guys here in my class.
I heard a bunch of stupid questions, too.
1 I went to the movies with some students to watch the RoTK when it was on. I wasn't asked any question then but heard a few like:
-Why are these things so ugly? What are they? (about Uruk-Hai)
-Who's that cute blond dude?
What happened to that creepy little fellow? (Gollum) Was he killed?
Of course there were some who counted the 'endings'. I guess there were three according to some and two or four according to others.
2. Not a question but kinda funny. I translated some parts of HoME into Polish and asked a friend who's a Polish teacher to proofread it. Her response was: "Yeah, some punctuation mistakes , a sentence or two to rewrite but there's one problem - the contents but I understand that you're not the author of THAT
3. Me, my friend (H) and her niece (G). G got a bottle of pop which was lucky for her cause usually her aunt didn't let her buy it. She didn't want to share it and at some point said
G : It's my precious
Me:
G&Me (more or less with Gollum's voices): yessss, my preciousssss
H::twitch: Where does this come from?
G: The Lord of the Rings movie
H:Oh, does it?
:banghead:
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: October 04, 2007 10:01
when i was watching, boromir was blowing the horn of gondor, and my mom was like whats that?
i said the horn of gondor
she said whats that mean... horn of gondor?
some people just dont get it.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2007 06:05
I have alot of stupid questions that my family has asked...here are some

sis: How did Legolas's dad die?
me: what?!?! He didn't die! :banghead:
sis: remember, on Helm's deep
me:...That's Haldir
sis: then what happened to leggy's dad
me" :twitch: he is in mirkwood...

another!
sis comes upstairs and watches me on CoE (as usual, never get privacy on comput!!:mad

Sis: who in the heck is Gilgalad
me: :twitch: :banghead: Read the books!!!

another

In car on the way to aunt's house
me: (joking around after watching TT EE) Aww man! I bet we're gonna have stew for dinner there!
sis:man her stew was so nasty looking, aaaaaaaahhhhhh it reminded me of barf, I'm surprised Aragorn didn't barf eating it!
mom: Wasn't Gimli the one who made that nasty stew?
me and sis: :twitch:

another from my dad this time...he asks too many weird ones but at least he knows the names and likes the shows...
Dad shows me a hilarious drawing that he supposatively drew of Aragorn as a tribal person who eats the so called 'hoblets' (he knows its hobbit, but there is this guy that he works with the last name hoblet) and he has a name tag on that says eragon.
me: dad, isn't that supposed to me Aragorn?
adar:Oh yeah! Eragon is that dragon rider!

another with adar

In the car on the way to dentist...
me: dad, you are my adar.
dad: ORC! HOW DARE YOU CALL ME AN ORC! (then he starts to tickle me...)
me: adar A-D-A-R it means father!!!
dad and me start to laugh...
then we go somewhere after and my dad called this one guy an orc right infront of him so I just face the other direction and laugh.

another in school...
Language class, first day, we were supposed to tell the teacher a bit about ourselves.
me:....and I am a big Tolkien/LOTR fan! :love:
teacher: who is Tolkien and what is LOTR?
me::cry:LOTR is 'Lord of the Rings' and Tolkien is the author! (I show her the Sil. and the TT book I had with me...
teacher: Never heard of it...
me: :cry: :twitch: :sob: :banghead:

another where my dad teases me about my Leggy obsession...
dad: (drew another pic that looked like someting only a small child would draw, this time of a man with no legs in crutches with out a shirt with a humoungus belly button with a name tag that reads 'Legolas the Legless' I'm the best artist in the world! aren't I?
me: (laughing histerically) no!!!:evil:

I have alot more, but I can't think of any right now...
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Laiquendi~Rodwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2007 04:45
Oh, your dad sounds just like mine, Lothara. I've gotten such gems from my sister, like:

Sis: So, wait. Why was there a dragon at the party? I thought they killed Smaug in the Hobbit?? (at this point she had finished the Hobbit ay my urging, and we we r e watching the birthday party scene on TV.)
Me: :banghead: It. Was. A. Firework. Thats. Why. It. Exploded.
Sis: OH!!! *comprehension dawns* I thought gandalf blew it up to save the hobbits!!
Me: :twitch: No.
"But all the time, of course, I wanted to get off the Earth. That's how I got the notion of studying a meteorite, instead of mooning about with houses, ruins, trees, boulders, and all sorts of other things." -J.R.R. Tolkien
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2007 03:00
lol...oh morgul rats...I just forgot the one I was gonna write, let me think a minute:cry: oh yeah! I was at my aunts house over the weekend and my second cousin, who I VERY MUCH dislike asked me if the sword replica of mine (sting) was gandalf's :twitch:
And in my band class, we have to play this LOTR song, and so when I saw it, I couldnt play it because I was laughing to hard...lol :disco:
Also, at my aunts house...I persuaded my grandparents to watch LOTR so they could get what I talk about...lol...
Also... got another...my friend who has never seen LOTR saw these funny LOTR comics that me and my other friend made...one of them was about saruman and sauron, she made up nicknames for them...saruman and the S dude... :cheers:
atleast I made her memorize the names...except for sauron, how can I forget him?!?! :cry: :evil:
I will write more when I remember...how dare I forget :evil:
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 16, 2007 12:06
I got another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friend who is watching me write this right now a few seconds ago asked me if Wormtongue is from Harry Potter, I just laughed and after said no.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: October 25, 2007 09:10
my friend just said "so whats so important about the ring?"
i went into a 5 minut long lecture
then she said so how many rings are there?
i rected the poem (3 rings for the elven kings under the sky...)
then she said so what happens if the eye gets the ring?
i say then his victory will be so complete none can foresee the end of it.
then she said ummmm........ok
then my other friend comes and saves me by explaining everything to her. then my she stares at us like we are freaks. we were really insulted.
frodofan14
Send Message
on: October 25, 2007 09:13
and i was talking about a lecture im going to tonight about the books vs. the movies at some collage and my friend was like "is he going"
i said "who?"
she said "jrr tolkien"
i was like :twitch: um...no he's been dead for like 50 years :banghead:

[Edited on 25/10/2007 by frodofan14]
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2007 11:18
here's one I got the other day-
"Why didn't they just fly on the eagles to drop the ring in Mt. Doom?" :banghead:
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2007 02:46
I have more!!! again!

Earlier, I was yelling GONDOR then this kid who goes to my school asked me, "[/u][/b]WHO [b][u] is gondor?" Then I angerly took out the ROTK book I had with me and showed him the word gondor, and after it, it said Gondor was a city, then I yelled at him in elvish until he understood...gondor is my favourite word...heh heh heh...:evil:

Me, my mom, dad, and sis were watching TTT EE and my mom said, "hey, guess what I'm making for dinner? Elrowen's stew!" and then I anwsered, " by elrowen, do you mean Eowyn, you are combining Elrond and Eowyn together." then she corrected herself.

Sadly, I was very clumsy:cry: (<---- spelling error, I know) and in English class, me and this one guy were talking about the Hobbit, and he said that Bilbo and Gandalf went on an adventure and started singing a song about it, and then I yelled back, "DONT FORGET THE THREE DWARVES!!!" then I noticed my error and started to laugh so hard I was crying :blush: ...my bad...(that same day I spilled my lunch, tripped over a pillow and had memory loss...heh heh heh )

In study hall, my best 'mellon's' sister was looking at the funny LOTR pics I had, and when she saw gollum she asked me," Is that Yoda?" and then I stared at her weirdly for a few seconds then responded, "no...he is gollum" then I showed her the place where gollum says 'whats taters precious eh, whats taters' in the TT book I had.:evil:I'll be back:evil:

[Edited on 3/11/2007 by Lothara]
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2007 02:54
Is it me, or do I post too many things on this stupid questions thread, ahh well, too many dumb people who know nothing about LOTR :cry:...:evil:I got alot more:evil: just from today:evil:

Today, I went to the bookstore, and they had this whole huge area just for LOTR:love: :love: :love: I was in my glory!!! But the sign for the area said 'Tolkein' :dizzy: :angry: :nono: :rolleyes: :twitch: :sob: :banghead: I actually thought of talking to the manager about the spelling error

Also, at the same bookstore, I had to explain to this guy, who was alot older than me, what LOTR was, along with the Silmarillion and the Childrin of Hurin, long explanations, then after I was done giving the lecture, he asked me what Numenor was :nono: :twitch: :banghead: and I just explained it in the lecture...wow...:cry: and I was kind of surprised that he asked someone (he was about 40, starting to wrincle look) as young as me (the almost 17 look ) about LOTR...still confused :twitch:
Cuio_Mai
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2007 01:04
This is a funny one from about a week ago:

Mom: "How old is Tolkien?"

Me: "He's dead."

Mom: "Dead? How'd he die?"

Me: "Old age."

Mom: "But he wasn't that old!"

Me: "Wasn't that old? He died thirty-five years ago!"

Mom: "He must have died young."

Me: "HE WAS IN HIS EIGHTIES!"

Mom: "But it didn't come out until a few years ago!"

Me: "The MOVIE! The book came out fifty years ago!"
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2007 04:25
Whats taters?

yes, I actually got asked that...I just laughed and said, "Po-tat-oes boil them mash them stick them in a stew" I ended up laughing so hard I cried.
Gumawerian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2007 04:40
Well, it isn't really a stupid question, per se... but I sat down and watched LOTR with my grandmother this weekend, and she had some pretty interesting comments about it, namely:

*camera shows huge army of thousands of orcs outside of Isengard*
Grandma: Now, THAT'S what we need for Afghanistan!
Me:

She also got Legolas, Celeborn, and Haldir mixed up all the time. I don't blame her though, hey, they're all blond elves...
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2007 08:18
Whats taters?

yes, I actually got asked that...I just laughed and said, "Po-tat-oes boil them mash them stick them in a stew" I ended up laughing so hard I cried.

ha the same thing happened to my brother.he was going on about taters and my uncle asked "whats taters?" so he said(very loudly) "PO-TA-TOES!"
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 12:25
guess what...MORE!!!

I brought some lembas bread to school because I wanted my friends to try it and this boy asked me if the bread that the elves eat was llamas bread...me: :angry: :nono: :rolleyes: :twitch: :banghead:

English teacher: Whats Lord of the Rings? and who do you mean by Tolkien? Whats an orc? ...she never read or seen LOTR...wow...
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2007 08:20
English teachers who've never heard of Tolkien? thats like having science teachers who've never heard of Einstein.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2007 06:06
She also got Legolas, Celeborn, and Haldir mixed up all the time. I don't blame her though, hey, they're all blond elves...

What is it with grandmothers and mixing up characters? Mine couldn't keep any of them straight. At all.

English teachers who've never heard of Tolkien? thats like having science teachers who've never heard of Einstein.

Or math teachers who have never heard of Pythagoras.

Seriously though! English teachers who have never heard of Tolkien? That's...like English-lit sacrilege or something. I have an English-department teacher who is a great Tolkien fan (she's read the Silmarillion, even!) but she still can't spell Tolkien. She spells it Tolkein. I think I posted about that earier in this thread too.

I had a teacher once who had heard of LotR but obviously was rather rusty on her knowledge. We were doing oral interpretation projects when...

Teacher: So say that I'm doing something from The Hobbit...and I have a hobbit...and a dwarf...and an...Ent.
Me: *thinking* There are no Ents in the Hobbit. Only in LotR.

My two little brothers are both great Runescape fans, and they share an account and leave Post-its to update what has happened with their character. One of the notes mentioned Ents. I scribbled on it: "Runescape has ENTS? That's plagiarism!"

Me: "You were supposed to stick it in the ground!"
Brother: "It is in the ground."
Me: "Outside!"
Brother: "This was your idea!"
Dad: "What are you two going on about?"
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2007 12:35
Ok how's this:
My friend's German teacher said that Elves in LotR were in fact fairies which could be compared with mermaids...
Honestly, there are such things as reading the book before saying things like that... :banghead:
Pendecardiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2007 06:38
It's not really a question, but when ROTK first came out there were some boys in my class that were convinced Aragorn became immortal after Arwen gave him the evenstar. I even got a copy of the book found the part in the appendices that said he died eventually but they still didn't believe me because it said "the king of gondor" or something instead of Aragorn. :banghead:

Also:
"So, Boromir and Faramir's dad isn't called Aramir?"

(My brother after seeing Saruman in the Ralph Bakshi film) "Is that Santa?"

A friend asked me and my other friend if we only liked LOTR because Orlando Bloom was in it. I said "No!!" and my friend said "Yes!" at exactly the same time

[Edited on 11/11/2007 by Pendecardiel]
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2007 01:44

My two little brothers are both great Runescape fans, and they share an account and leave Post-its to update what has happened with their character. One of the notes mentioned Ents. I scribbled on it: "Runescape has ENTS? That's plagiarism!"

I used to play runescape until LOTRO came out and that is true...runescape has ents...not only that...orcs, khazard-dum peoplez, the watcher in the water (most of what I am listing is members for runescape)...and alot of other people and things that I-cannot-think-of-currently...I am really mad at anyone who uses Tolkien's ideas without the thing even being LOTR.

What is it with grandmothers and mixing up characters? Mine couldn't keep any of them straight. At all.

I could ask the same question. I was giving a whole speech about the humour page of CoE and some of the humourous pictures and my grandparents got confused and kept asking if gumby was the elf, and if elwyn was the heir to the throne of order. accourding to me, gumby=gimli and elwyn=eowyn or elrond. or both. aiiiiiiii! im confused :cry:

too many stupid questions! (I am starting to think I post too much, but thoes non ringers, orcs, or whatever-you-want-to-call-those-idiodic-haters-of-LOTR, keep asking me stupid questions.

I was in the car with my friend who only saw three clips of LOTR because I just showed her and she asked me if you spell lembas bread like L-L-U-M-B-U-S! llumbus, for some reason, it reminded me of Columbus and llamas.

sister, she even likes LOTR, but she asked me...
whats up with the valar? what is the valar? how was middle earth discovered? me: :banghead: I thought you read the books!?!?

Stupid girl in my sisters year who thinks she's popular called this tall guy a hobbit and then asked me, Whats a hobbit? Me: :cry: :angry: :nono: :rolleyes: :twitch: :sob: :banghead: WHY DID YOU CALL HIM THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE WITH OUT EVEN KNOWING WHAT A HOBBIT IS!!!!!

I forget alot of others...
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2007 12:58
Some guy in my english class today (does everything happen in English?) asked me if Sam's gaffer was part of his leg...me and my LOTR friend just looked at eachother and laughed.

Also in english we were revewing what we learned long ago and we were talking about abreviating first names and not the last names, I showed the teacher my LOTR book because of the J.R.R Tolkien...she pernounced it 'Tolkein' (she knows nothing about LOTR...not even the author)

Another thing in english...my friend asked me what the one ring said and why it was so important, so I gave him a long lecture and I was saying it fast so I wouldn't get caught talking and get a detention and I mis pronounced 'Sauron'. :cry: ....I think i called him saur kraut
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2007 12:59
Some guy in my english class today (does everything happen in English?) asked me if Sam's gaffer was part of his leg...me and my LOTR friend just looked at eachother and laughed.

Also in english we were revewing what we learned long ago and we were talking about abreviating first names and not the last names, I showed the teacher my LOTR book because of the J.R.R Tolkien...she pernounced it 'Tolkein' (she knows nothing about LOTR...not even the author)

Another thing in english...my friend asked me what the one ring said and why it was so important, so I gave him a long lecture and I was saying it fast so I wouldn't get caught talking and get a detention and I mis pronounced 'Sauron'. :cry: ....I think i called him saur kraut
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2007 05:00
MORE...again

I was wearing my Legolas T-shirt and had all my LOTR books, my one ring, evenstar neclace, Lothlorien brooch, and had all my school books (all completely covered with LOTR pics) and someone asked me if I liked LOTR...I anwsered sarcasticly 'NO, ya don't think!?!?, YES I AM AND PROUD OF IT, cheers gaffer!' :cheers:
RodwenofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 03:47
I was asked by a friend- "So how is Froto today?" Yes, he said it with a T. He also confused Sauron and Saruman...

Then he thought he'd stump me with a quiz, entitled, "Relate this to LotR." --- The word was "golf" and (of course) I went into a five-minute summary of how Bulroarer Took invented Golf. He didn't believe me, so I pulled out my 1978 copy of The Hobbit and read it to him. Then he had to read it himself...
writer900
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2007 03:48
My mom didn't know who Gandalf was:
"Who's Gandalf? Is he that scary naked thing?"
"Uh, no, Mom. That's Gollum."
frodofan14
Send Message
on: November 25, 2007 06:23
My mom didn't know who Gandalf was:
"Who's Gandalf? Is he that scary naked thing?"
"Uh, no, Mom. That's Gollum."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2007 11:39
My mum asked me a few days ago if Gimli was the one who made the horrible stew in TTT EE...I just laughed
writer900
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2007 11:46
My mom doesn't know who Frodo is...0_0
frodofan14
Send Message
on: November 25, 2007 02:20
My mom doesn't know who Frodo is...0_0

whoa.....how can you two live in the same house and she not know that?
<< First1011121314Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email