Register

<< First89101112Last >>
Author Topic:
frodoismyprecious
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: April 25, 2007 11:43
Once me and some friends met a person who couldn't pronounce the names. The worst was when he called Frodo, 'Brodo Faggins'. We have called people we meet that don't know anything about LotR 'Brodos' after that.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2007 12:45
Lol this thread it hilarious!

A comment about the entmoot scene in TTT movie: "I liked the forest government".

I don't know about stupid, it was just a funny way to express it methinks.

[Edited on 25/4/2007 by Lorienel]
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2007 12:50
:twitch: Brodo Faggins? That's actually kind of funny...in a sad, sad way.

"Forest government"? Hmm, interesting way of putting it...
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2007 01:15
well this isn't exactly a stupid question, but my older sister tried to do the Gollum voice, and it sounded like Gollum after he breathed in helium! It was so funny!
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2007 02:59
My mom usually asks the uneducated questions ('cause she won't read the books or watch the movies) but my dad asks the just-plain-weird ones. This one was last night...I don't remember what he was talking about here, but...

Me: Da-ad! *rolls eyes*
Dad: Did you see your brain when you did that?
Me: *rolls eyes again*
Dad: Boy, Saruman must have been a lot of trouble when he was a teenager, rolling his eye all the time, frying all the planes going above....
Me: :twitch:
Dad: *keeps talking about Saruman*
Me: Um...Dad? I think you mean SauRON.
Dad: Sauron? Yeah, him. The sorry guy with the eye. Not the other sorry guy with the white.
Me: :banghead: :twitch: :banghead:

And another one, from several months ago, watching RotK:

Eomer: No! No! *runs over to Eowyn, falls to his knees, holds her, starts rocking back and forth* No! No!

Dad: But...I thought she survived?

[Edited on 27/4/2007 by Michaela]
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 02:57
Oh, man! I have gotten some wierd ones, but this is too much!
okay, I was walking into the kitchen and I saw The Fellowship but the comp.
Me: So dad, did you need your fix of LotR also?
Dad: I just wanted to test a movie on the movie on the new computer, I only got about one hour into it
Me: so, where did you leave off at?
dad: oh, the short guys were going to the Pink Pony to meet Dumbledorf the Grey
Me::twitch: :dizzy: :banghead: :cry:
Not a question, but still! The Pink Pony is a Gentlemen's bar in a city not too far from where we live, and it got a lot of publicity because Jack Whittaker lost a birefcase there. It's closed since then, but I mean, come on! oh, I didn't even reply, I just walked away.
Caleniel41
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 02:00
Hmm... I can sympathize with you guys, my dad is just the same.
The other day I saw Karl Urban in a preview for a new movie he's in...
Me: Look! It's Eomer!
dad: Ah yes! I always liked that guy. More quiet and studious then his brother was. I don't think he really liked war...
Me: Do you mean Faramir?!?

:banghead:
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 02:50
Wow... an Eomer/Faramir mix-up...that's a new one to add to the list of common mix-ups.

Elfalas...was your dad doing that because he actually thought it was the Pink Pony and Dumbledorf the Grey, or just to annoy you?
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 06:44
Would you believe it? Yet more stupid questions.

My dad (again :rolleyes: ) : "What exactly does he [Aragorn] mean by 'a shieldmaiden of Rohan'?"
Me: :banghead: Um... [thinking: It's pretty much self-explanatory!] Well...pretty much a she-warrior. In the book they call her Shieldarm because the Witch King smashed her shieldarm...
My dad: Well, shouldn't it be swordmaiden then?
Me: :banghead:

Yet more... Eowyn was onscreen (the scene where Aragorn shows up at Helm's Deep) and my brother (who has, I might mention, seen the movies quite a few times) asked "Who's that?"

Poor Eowyn.

And then ten minutes later, Galadriel giving her "do we let them stand alone" voiceover spiel... "Who's that?"

One from earlier...more of the misfortunes of Eowyn...and Arwen too...

My dad: *pointing at Aragorn* Oh, she fancies him.
Me: Y-ep.
My dad: But he's already got the Elf chick.
Me: Y-ep.
My dad: Ar--Er--Eo--
Me: Arwen?
My dad: Her. So then who's--
Me: Eowyn.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 07:57
Me: Look! It's Eomer!
dad: Ah yes! I always liked that guy. More quiet and studious then his brother was. I don't think he really liked war...
Me: Do you mean Faramir?!?

i am terribly sorry.

my father has also come up with his own nicknames:

Faramir=Far-and-near
Rhuduar=Rhutebegga
Aragorn=Eragon ( :banghead: )
Eowyn=Arwen
Arwen=Eowyn
Galadriel=Freaky Elf Lady
Eregion=Half-and-Half (can't even begin to comprehend this one)

Dad: So that happy hobbit...
Me:...You mean Merry?
Dad: Right. Did he ever end up getting the Ring?
Me:...What?
Dad: He wanted the Ring, right?
Me: (trying to process whether he means Boromir or Gollum)

And the first time i saw fotr, in the scene introing the Aragorn/Boromir conflict in the libarary, i must confess i mixed the two actors up. knew who the characters were, but i'm sorry, Sean Bean and Mortensen, both with long and hair and scraggly beards do look similar.

i've gotten the elvis line, too--'i didn't know elvis had his own language.' :banghead:

Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2007 02:03
My dad does things to annoy me, but this was a true mix up, he has messed up on more than one occasion.
We were at Walden's Bookstore once
Sis: Hey, look! Over there, it's Aragorn!
Me: :dizzy: twitch: Do you mean Eragon?
Sis: Ohwhatever, they sound alike and are alike, so there's really no difference.
Me: :angry: :banghead: :sob:
And she and my cousin always do that, when they see Eragon, it's Aragorn, when it's Aragorn, it's Eragon!
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2007 04:17
my father has also come up with his own nicknames:

Faramir=Far-and-near
Rhuduar=Rhutebegga
Aragorn=Eragon ( :banghead: )
Eowyn=Arwen
Arwen=Eowyn
Galadriel=Freaky Elf Lady
Eregion=Half-and-Half (can't even begin to comprehend this one)

I've got more for this list, mostly courtesy of my dad and my brothers...

Frodo=Frodozone or sometimes just Frozone. (Have you seen the Pixar movie "The Incredibles"?)
Frodo=The Retard ( :twitch: )
Samwise=Sandwich (OK then...)
Samwise Gamgee=Samkon Gado (and vice versa. Samkon played football for my dad's favorite team for a while.)
Eomer=The Nephew (this one was my grandmother, she couldn't remember his name... :rolleyes: )
Faramir=The Brother
Arwen=The Elf-chick
Pippin=The Stupid One ( :banghead: )
Sauron=The Sar-y guy with the eye
Boromir=Shish-ke-bab
Aragorn=Aragon/Eragon (the thing is, these people haven't even read the book Eragon and they drop the R anyway...)
Elrond=Agent Smith
Ents=Ants

And then the classic mix-ups...

Eowyn and Arwen
Sauron and Saruman
Boromir and Faramir
Boromir and Aragorn
Merry and Pippin
Aragorn and Legolas

[Edited on 28/4/2007 by Michaela]
~elvellon~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 28, 2007 06:56
o my gosh your stories are so funny!! i was cracking up reading all of these and i tried to explain one to my mom and she kinda stared at me and pretended to laugh. lol

anyway, my younger sister just finished reading the fellowship and i watched the movie with her, as soon as the balrog came on screen she got excited and was like:

"o my gosh!! its the ba..." she almost had it and then she finished it as "balamala..."
we were cracking up, i was like, you mean Balrog?? she was just laughing.

i thought it was funny but maybe you had to be there lol
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2007 05:00
o my gosh your stories are so funny!! i was cracking up reading all of these and i tried to explain one to my mom and she kinda stared at me and pretended to laugh. lol

Sounds like something that would happen to me if I even dared to attempt to explain these to my family. Not to mention that a great number of them have come from my -- lovable, normally intelligent, but sadly lacking in the field of LotR -- family. And guess what? I HAVE EVEN MORE! We watched Return of the King last night...probably our last time watching the theatrical, as we just ordered the extendeds :disco: .

So anyway...more from last night.

My brother, who has seen the movies at least five times each, if not ten: ...Wait. Eowyn likes Aragorn?!?
Me: :twitch: It took you that long to realize that?
My brother: Yes. But... Arwen likes Aragorn too!
Me: (thinking: NO! Really?!) Yes, Arwen and Aragorn are engaged. But Aragorn is too nice to tell Eowyn that he can't love her. Or at least not yet. So Eowyn finds out later, gets all depressed and suicidal, rides off to war, doesn't die, is still suicidal because she didn't die and Aragorn doesn't love her, but then she falls in love with Faramir and is happy again.
My brother: :twitch: ...OK then...
Me: :banghead: :banghead:

My other brother: Why is he [Aragorn] wearing a girl's necklace?
Me: :banghead: Because, Arwen gave it to him. :rolleyes: :banghead:
Him: I still don't think he should be wearing a girl's necklace.
Me: :banghead:
Him: Does he wear it when he's fighting?
Me: :twitch:

After Pippin finishes singing...

Brother: Is he laughing?
Me: :twitch: No. Crying.
Him: Why?
My dad: Probably because he had to watch Denethor eat.
Me: :rolleyes: (thinking: I don't think that's the reason, Dad.)

"Put him down, you filth. You will not touch him again!"
My dad: Look! It's Samkon Gado!
Me: Don't do that, Dad. It's annoying.

FYI: Samkon Gado plays American football. My dad has a really annoying habit of referring to Samwise Gamgee as Samkon Gado, because of the initials, which I find really annoying. He had stopped for a while, but he resumed it yesterday. :banghead: )

Edit: I remembered some more from last night!

Fangirls, avert your eyes...

Brother (the same one from the necklace incident): Who's the weird-looking guy?
Me: Weird-looking guy? *rewinds DVD 30 seconds or so*
Brother: Yeah, him! The weird-looking guy! *points*
Me: :twitch: You mean Eomer?
Brother: Yeah!

And then later...

Onscreen, the grumpy old Hobbit scowls at the adventurers
My mom: What, do hobbits not ride horses or something?

[Edited on 29/4/2007 by Michaela]
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2007 11:28
Me: (thinking: NO! Really?!) Yes, Arwen and Aragorn are engaged. But Aragorn is too nice to tell Eowyn that he can't love her. Or at least not yet. So Eowyn finds out later, gets all depressed and suicidal, rides off to war, doesn't die, is still suicidal because she didn't die and Aragorn doesn't love her, but then she falls in love with Faramir and is happy again.
My brother: ...OK then...

Oh gosh reminds me of one time I was watching FOTR and at one Isengard scene with a ton of orcs I muttered "Stupid Morgoth" and then proceeded to try and explain why orcs used to be elves and my sister just stared at me blankly.... :banghead:
Then there was that time I tried to explain where wizards came from
My knowledge is wasted on the non-geeks :sob:
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2007 02:45
My brother: ...OK then...

Oh gosh reminds me of one time I was watching FOTR and at one Isengard scene with a ton of orcs I muttered "Stupid Morgoth" and then proceeded to try and explain why orcs used to be elves and my sister just stared at me blankly.... :banghead:
Then there was that time I tried to explain where wizards came from
My knowledge is wasted on the non-geeks :sob:

Poor MerryandPip. et:

It's good to know I'm not alone, though. If I try to explain anything to them, they'll either tell me to stop talking during the movie or just give me blank stares.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2007 10:19
Thanks. Like you said, it's good to know I'm not alone. (But sometimes it sure feels like it)
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 02:53
A new stupid question involving corn on the cob!

Yes, corn on the cob. We were eating dinner and my brother leaned over and prodded me, then proceeded to pick up his corn, whack it against the table while humming, and eat it like Smeagol would a fish. I started laughing hysterically. My brother continued to do his "The Forbidden Pool" impression, while my mother asked, "What? What's so funny? What's he doing?"

When I had regained my composure enough to talk, I said "If I start laughing hysterically and you don't know why, you can be nearly certain that it's a Lord of the Rings reference."

She will not watch the movies or read the books. It's annoying. :rolleyes: :banghead:
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 10:40
When I had regained my composure enough to talk, I said "If I start laughing hysterically and you don't know why, you can be nearly certain that it's a Lord of the Rings reference."

Haha sounds like me...One time my friend was talking about mushrooms and I started laughing.
BTW, that story was really funny! *Laughs*
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2007 11:18

Haha sounds like me...One time my friend was talking about mushrooms and I started laughing.
BTW, that story was really funny! *Laughs*

Thanks. I've done the mushrooms thing before... and many others. Yeah, I'm insane. I like it.
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 06:06
Grandma is visiting, and she saw the map of Middle-earth I had on my wall:

"Is that the Rings of the Lord?"
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 08:58
Aaaw, bless, Celede.

I was watching RotK, my spousal unit was leaving the room and stopped. I said, over my shoulder...'thought you didn't like LotR, or Lord of the Rings .... *have to spell it out for him, lol*'

He: 'Well, no, but I am waiting to see the green army.'

Me: :twitch: 'You mean the Army of the Dead?'

He: 'Whatever!'

Poor man. lol!!
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 12:27
Ok once my mom and I are playing LotR trivia. My dad, who doesn't know a thing about LotR comes in. So just for fun we start asking him questions so this is what we get:

Me: What does Gandalk catch in his hand when he falls with the Balrog? (or something like that)

My dad: The ball thing? (meaning the Palantir)

:banghead:

Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 12:35
Rings of the Lord, Green Army, ball thingy. Lol. et: I'm not alone in this after all!
elra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2007 01:00
the only one I can remember right now was the one my father asked when he first saw FotR.. "so, aren't there any male elves?"

:twitch:

and the only thing I could think of as a reply was "why? are you finding that dark haired elf with a circlet attractive?" (elrond)
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 08:21
"so, aren't there any male elves?"

i think i had to pick myself off the floor after reading that one. reminds me of one of the caption contests, with a picture of merry and pip in Lothlorien, pip looking entirely intrigued--

pippin: Legolas is talking to that pretty Elf Lady
merry: So?
pippin: I'm trying to figure out which one is Legolas and which is the Elf Lady.

i was listening to 'majesty' by blind guardian today (for non-BG fans, it's about aragorn and his journey; excellent song).

friend: sweet guitars. what're they saying?
me: it's about Aragorn.
friend: (continues listening)...cool. how old is this?
me: it's their 2001 tour.
friend: (confused) i thought that book didn't come out until, like, a two years ago.
me: (looks over, completely confused)
friend: you sure it's about Aragorn?

after several minutes of going around in circles, turns out he was thinking Eragon ( :banghead: ) not again...
Lorien~ethel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2007 04:27

The other day I was watching TTT with my mum. It came to Helms Deep where Haldir poppin his clogs.

My mum, looking generally confused, said"I thought Elves were immortal?"

"They are."

"But he just died."

"Coz he got an axe in the back of his head."

She still didn't understand (sometimes she can be a few beers short of a six-pack, if you get what I mean) so I had to go into a LONG speech about how elves die if they are weary of the world, have a broken heart or an axe in their heads.

So has anyone else out there ever been asked a really stupid question about LotR by their parents/childrens/friends, ect.?

My mom did the same thing. We had this big long discussion about elves....she just kinda rolled her eyes (she's not a big fantisy movie/book person).
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2007 05:58
We were watching RotK extended...

Eomer: No! No! No!

My dad: Who's he upset for?
Me: Eowyn.
My dad: But...Eowyn's not dead.
Me: :banghead: No, she isn't.
My dad: But then...
Me: He thinks she is dead! OK?
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 09:40
Hahaha...I was watching FOTR today and I was kinda afraid my mom would ask some stupid question...But I got lucky.
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 11:09
Not so much a stupid question as a series of stupid statements.

*At the end of Return of the King*

Me: It's over. Now I'm depressed.
Brother: Why are you depressed?
Me: Sad ending.
Brother: The ending isn't sad!
Me: Yes it is!
Brother: It's a good ending! Frodo's finally gone!
Esmerelda~Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 12:00
Lemme at him! Lemme at him!
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 03:07
Lemme at him! Lemme at him!

I thought exactly the same thing, and I'm not much of a Frodo fancier myself...despite his overwhelming, slightly frightening Hobbity cuteness. He started calling Sam a jerk around the same time (and Frodo too) and that's when I started to get extremely angry with him.

And then another, from the same incident...

Brother: See? He's happy he's leaving!
Me: He's not happy he's leaving.
Brother: But he's smiling.
Me: It's kind of a confused, complex happiness. He's glad to be leaving the--
Brother: Be quiet.

He and my dad both claim that everything after Mt. Doom is "useless" and that there are "too many endings". Both my brothers, for some reason, keep saying that Frodo is "retarded". Their word, not mine. Poor guy...
~elvellon~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 03:34
"retarded". Their word, not mine. Poor guy..

poor frodo.

I am learning "into the west" on the piano and my sister is singing it for this recital we are doing, and my sister has read the hobbit and fotr but wont see the movies until she's read all the books (some day that wont come for a long time because she keeps switching series... )

and doesnt quite understand why this song is sad and what its about. My piano teacher was telling her to imagion the song and how it will make everyone feel and to show emotion and then went on to say how some guy is cradling a girl in "his arms" after they are reunited or something stupid like that. my mom was listening and i gaver her this funny but shocked look. My mom explained to my teacher that it was someone's passing away kind of, so she told my sister to think of someone who died :cry:
my teacher then admited how she herself couldnt get through the first movie... :nono:

[Edited on 23/5/2007 by ~elvellon~]
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2007 04:07
Watching the latest series of '24' with Keifer Sutherland, who should appear on the screen as the Russian Diplomat, Markov, but John Noble.

"Oooh, look," says I to my daughter, "It's John Noble, Denethor..."

"Who?" queries daughter.

"Denethor, Faramir's dad.."

"Who?" repeats daughter

"Denethor, Steward of Gondor.." *frustration creeping in*

"Where?" asks she.

"Oh for heavens sake, never mind" says I, shaking my head, stifling a grin and patting her arm. Well we have to humour these people, don't we

"Mother!!" rejoins my daughter "some of us only saw the movies once."

Me spluttering.........!!
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2007 04:33
Elvellon, be patient with your sister. It's good that she wants to read the books first. Maybe try to keep her focused though so she doesn't forget anything and have to start all over
<< First89101112Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email