Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Where the Stars are Strange (free for all)
on: October 24, 2005 02:44
[OOC: *sings maniacally* Exams are OVER!!! And so, I have decided to celebrate with – naturally – a new thread. Hurray. It was mentioned in the council of Elrond how Aragorn has wandered to all sorts of far-off places like Harad and Rhun before, and that caught my imagination since I have an affinity for Asian cultures… (I think Harad is sort of Middle-Eastern; at least, that was how the movie portrayed them, but considering the only book-evidence as to their culture was that they used Oliphaunts and had snake-banners, I suppose Indian wouldn’t be too far-off either.) So this is set in Mid-third-age, when Aragorn – still an obscure Ranger – has succumbed to the wanderlust and allowed his feet to take him all the way to Far Harad and maybe even beyond. This thread doesn’t have a script – they’re just going to explore Harad and we’ll see what happens next - and it’s free, but please be sure you can commit and make posts of at least two good-sized paragraphs in GOOD English, thanks. I know we’re all busy people with Real Lives; still I hope that’s reasonable – I don’t expect this thread to move quickly due to my own rather hectic schedule at the moment. Quality over quantity, yes? I would appreciate people who can play other Haradrim, or Aragorn and a few other Rangers. Not too many elves, but I wouldn’t mind one or two at most.]

Aragorn, son of Arathorn – currently travelling under the alias of Strider, Ranger of the North – shifted his seat upon the rough, lumpy hump of the disagreeable creature he was riding – the Haradrim traders called it a camel – searching for no avail for a more comfortable seating position. Aragorn had never met a more ornery, cantankerous animal in his life, nor one with such a terrible gait – rocky and nausea-inducing. He had thought about exploring the lands of the east long and often of late, and when word had come of the band of traders passing through Gondor, about to return to their homes in the far east, he had jumped at the chance to join them as an extra warrior and guard.

He hadn’t counted on this. The traders, pointing out the vast expanse of barren desert they would be crossing, had told him quite flatly that his horse would not survive the journey and that he would not be able to keep up on foot and he would just have to learn to ride the camels like the rest of them. It was definitely a new experience, as was the change in scenery and climate. They had long left behind the lush green lands of the North; now the world was a mass of hot, golden sand – gleaming ever so brightly during the day, shining silver under the moon at night – an unbroken expanse of dune upon dune upon dune, the arid landscape broken only now and then by meagre stands of the stunted, prickly plant called the cactus. So this was the desert, barren and extreme. It got ever so hot during the day, the sun beating down mercilessly – Valar! Were there no clouds in this place?! – and burning his pale Northern skin a bright, tender pink until he learned to keep it hidden under a few layers of thick cloth like the traders did, yet the nights could be so cold they reminded him of the winter storms back home. And the dryness! Now that he came to think of it, he had not seen a single water body since they left Gondor four days ago. All the water the group had was carried in the earthern pots and water skins strung along the sides of the pack animals.

The leader of the band urged his camel into a trot (at least, that was the closest word Aragorn could come up with to describe the animal’s bouncy lope), and beneath Aragorn, his camel gave a loud snort, shook its head vigorously on its long neck, and lurched into the faster gait. Aragorn sighed and wound his fingers tighter into the rough, curly hair on the camel’s hump.

[OOC: Aragorn is currently a free character, but if no one wants to play him, I will. (I already have a character of my own.)]

~*~

Shahina Chantria sat easily astride her own camel Kalu, watching the dunes rise and fall as her grandfather led the column into a quick trot. They would have to pick up the pace in order to get to the oasis by tonight – their water supply was running low. There was a barely stifled groan from somewhere at the end of the string of camels, reminding the girl of the presence of the strange Northern men led by the warrior called Strider. She risked a quick look over her shoulder, and had to contain a giggle at the sight of the Ranger bouncing atop his camel’s hump, obviously very uncomfortable. The Northerners had tried to bring their horses, not knowing the perils of this particular road, but Grandfather had managed to dissuade them. The mounts had been Northerners’ horses, bred and raised in the soft green North, and would probably not have survived the trek across this stretch of desert – in fact, she wasn’t even sure if Grandfather’s finest stallions, those specially bred to thrive in desert lands, would have made it through this arduous road in good condition. Shahina had certainly never seen him bring horses when he went to Gondor. No, it was a journey best left to the trusty camels. This had been her first year joining him when he accompanied the traders on their trip to Gondor, and the trail had been one of the hardest she had ever walked. Still, it had been worth it – Gondor was such a change from the usual desert scenery; it reminded her of the gardens of her father’s mansions where she had lived as a child, and Minas Tirith was truly magnificent. It had been the first time she had ever seen a Northerner city, full of those pale, white-skinned men. She wished they could have gone even further up North, but Grandfather had said a firm “no” – he had heard tales of strange peoples, elves, who, it was rumored, were a race of sorcerers and were immortal. They lived in woods and forests – large stands of great, tall trees – and could do magics and cast spells, or so the tales went. Who would have thought of it?

Strider looked steadily more miserable as the column picked up the pace. Shahina would have gone to him to correct his seat – and used it as an excuse to talk to him and learn more about the North – but Grandfather had said it was unbecoming of a young woman such as herself. She was to stay by him and away from the strange men.

The group proceeded on, silent except for small pockets of soft conversation and the jingling bells on the anklets of the camels and women.

[OOC: Final note. If any elves are joining, perhaps they could stay hidden for a bit, maybe be disguised or something like that – the Haradrim have been hearing nasty stories about the elves, and I would suppose that elves wouldn’t want to make their presence known to a group of foreigners who have been hearing strange things about them… Still, Shahina *would* like to meet an elf or two… Oh, and she’ll be in the DB soon – just a few more minor details to work out. ]
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Where the Stars are Strange (free for all)
on: October 24, 2005 06:13
(( OOC: This is awesome. Gothmog is in the RPG character part if you want to know more about him but were going to do this with him as a teenager ))

Gothmog young prince of the Harad rode calmly towards the head of the column. Gothmog's father had urged him to take a camel but Berethor, Gothmog's black Arabian stalliom, would no sooner have stayed home then Gothmog would have. The young prince turned and gave Shahina a brief smile before catching a stern glance from his father and turning back to his task of scanning the desert for possible threats. "There is nothing worse then a slack guard." His father had said. And Gothmog had no intention of being that.
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2005 09:36
Vanya stifled a laugh as she watched from behind a dune. How could the Haradrim ride camels! Horses were so much quicker. She patted her black mare, Mor Nar, never taking her eyes from the column. She studied it carefully. Several guards, many traders, a girl about her own age, and a man with a dark beard and noble features. He was definetely not one of the haradrim, she thought to herself. Standing, Vanya swept the sand off her forest green dress, casting her brown hood over her shoulders. She wondered if she should put it on to hide her pointed ears, but she decided against it. After all, she was only a small girl. She didn't plan on harming or stealing from the haradrim, she was only curious. Besides, she didn't even look dangerous: A pretty girl with laughing green eyes and light brown hair. Mounting Mor Nar, shhe leaned forward. "Noro lim, Nar." Mor Nar surged forward, and she and Vanya soon overtook the camels.
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 08:19
((OOC: Oh, I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm kinda new to this))

Araaduial rode her camel alongside her mellon, Aragorn. She had been visiting him in his homeland of Gondor when the band of traders had passed through. He of course had always wanted to visit the Haradrim, so she had joined him, despite the fact he had strongly warned her against doing so, due to the stories the Haradrim had heard about the elves. She had insisted that she would be ok, so she merely hid her face underneath her cloak, riding as Aragorn's aide. She knew rangers never needed aides, but since she had wanted to go along, she had pleaded with him, when he finally said she could remain at his side as his personal aide. She had been raised in the art of swordmanship, which was unusual amongst the elves of Lothlorien who preferred bows. Araa however had found that a sword better served her in close combat. Her sword remained under her cloak also, but a slight outline was visible.
Now riding in the dry, arid land of the Haradrim, she was almost wondering if she had made a mistake in coming, the heat alone was enough to kill her. She was used to living in the forest where everything was moist and full of life, but here, nothing lived, except these strangers. Her bum was sore due to the odd gait of these animals known as camels, they were not only tall and lanky, but mean spirited. She glanced at Aragorn from underneath her hood, and wondered how he survived, her thirst was waned only by the water supplied them, but the heat could not be stopped. She would have to learn to suffer with it, in order to be able to continue on.
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 01:29
Gothmog's head turned sharply towrad the right, as motion caught his eye. There was someone rriding out toward them. At a signal from the prince the guards formed up with Gothmog at their head his spear pointed towards the strange figure.
"Who are you, who threatens me people?" He cried first in Harad and then in the common tongue. "Why do you trouble us?"
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 01:39
Vanya slowed Mor Nar to a trot as she approached the prince. "Who are you?" She heard him cry out, "Why do you trouble us?" Vanya hesitated. Maybe this hadn't been such a great idea. She bowed her head respectfully to him. "My name is Vanya, my lord, and I mean no trouble to you.” She replied falteringly in the tongue of the Haradrim. She cast off her hood, showing him that she was just a young girl. She saw his tense body relax a bit, and relaxed herself. She stretched her arms out to show she was unarmed with the exception of a small dagger. Afraid to speak, she slowed Mor Nar even more as she drew up alongside the column. The Northerner that she had noticed before caught her eye and gave her an encouraging smile. Taking a deep breath, her eyes sparkled with hope. “please,” She said. “I wish only to travel under the protection of your caravan. I will not be a hindrance – I promise,” She pleaded. “I shall help you in any way I can,” She watched the prince fearfully, waiting for a sign of relentance.
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 02:51
Araaduial tensed as she saw the figure race toward them, her hand going to her side where her sword rested. Who was this and why were they riding a horse in such arid country? Seeing the girl pull her hood back, Araa bit her tongue when she saw the pointed ear, surely the Haradrim had seen it. Aragorn had smiled at the girl, who had revealed herself as Vanya, but Araa did not trust her. The girl seemed to notice somebody looking at you, and she pulled her hair forward to cover her elven ears. Araa noticed Vanya looked friendly, but she knew that looks were not everything, life had taught her that a long time ago. Even one of her kin were to be under her suspicion, Araa decided, surely the prince had noticed the ears, but Araa waited for him to comment.
Aragorn rode forward and greeted the she-elf, trying to calm things in the atmosphere. As he called forth Araa to introduce her, she released her hold on her sword and held her hand out, never once removing her hood to reveal her fair face. One mistake was enough for today, to find two mistakes could mean death. Araa nodded at Vanya and pulled her mount back, to allow Vanya clear view to the prince, his concern clear in his voice.
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 03:34
Vanya noticed a woman riding beside the Northern Stranger. She was looking at Vanya quite strangely. It made her quite uncomfortable. "Does she not trust me?" She wondered. Then she saw: The tip of a pointed ear peeking out from beneath a wave of hair. Vanya grinned in relief. This woman was an elf, like her. Her green eyes bright with hope, Vanya raised her hand in friendly greeting to all, but mainly to the woman. However, she guessed that she was hiding something, and decided not to get involved. The Stranger came forward, shouting a greeting in the common tongue. He said his name was Strider. Vanya nodded politely, a smile on her pretty face, but still her eyes were locked, anxious, on the prince.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2005 06:35
[OOC: Hi all – thanks for joining. Shahina is in the DB now – I put her in this morning.]

Shahina coloured up as she realized Gothmog was looking at her – smiling at her – and pulled her scarf closer over her face, turning around to exchange mirthful glances with her cousin Liliath, riding close behind on her own camel. It would not do to have Grandfather see and think she was flirting – he guarded her almost jealously. But then again, was it just her imagination, or did the boys and men seem to be paying her more attention these days? She was definitely at a marriageable age, and past it, even. Most Haradrim girls were married off at twelve, but Shahina was already fifteen – as was Liliath. But poor Liliath was a disgrace – the last daughter of a second wife who had borne no sons and whose parents had both died four years ago, leaving her with no dowry and not much of a future in the male-dominated Haradrim society. Grandfather didn’t think Liliath was ever going to find a suitable husband, and she was probably destined to spend the rest of her days under his care. Shahina, on the other hand, came from a so-called decent family, and these days Grandfather seemed to be fielding a lot of inquiries about her – even though he thought she didn’t realize. Not that she was eager to be married off – she loved her wandering life and her horses and camels too much.

She was interrupted in her musings by a figure on what looked like a large black horse bursting out from behind a nearby dune and racing flat-out across the sands. Shahina could tell the horse would have been a very fast one on solid ground – it was quite speedy even on the loose, shifting sands. Gothmog took issue with the passing stranger, ordering the rider to halt, and she could see the woman on the horse was an elegant Northerner with bright green eyes and light brown hair glinting under the desert sun. She spoke halting Haradrim, introducing herself as Vanya.

“please,” She said. “I wish only to travel under the protection of your caravan. I will not be a hindrance – I promise,” She pleaded. “I shall help you in any way I can,”

Gothmog still looked suspicious, but Shahina didn’t see much harm in the girl, although she felt there was something strange – maybe not menacing, but strange – about the newcomer She just couldn’t put her finger on *what*.

The group was silent for a moment, almost as if they were sizing Vanya up. Then Strider and one of his companions stepped forward. Strider seemed to accept the newcomer, and Grandfather, trusting his judgement as a warrior, conceded.

“You can come with us.” He said, giving Gothmog a look that said he was still the senior leader of the caravan and would brook no argument. “But I’m not sure the horse will make it across the sands. It is a long trail. I suggest you send it back while you can. We have more than enough pack camels.”

It was while they waited for Vanya’s reply that Shahina suddenly realized what was… strange about her.

“Liliath.” She turned to her cousin. “She has pointed ears!”

[OOC: Liliath is being played by my friend already – nobody take her! ]
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 03:17
[OOC: Right, so I'm the friend.]

Liliath tried to frown at her cousin - her amusement at Gothmog was not particularly becoming, she *did* have to get married eventually, after all - but Shahina's mirth was simply contagious, and a smile tugged at her lips. She was glad Shahina had the presence of mind not to laugh though, that might have been interpreted as insult, or forwardness, and then they'd have a civil war on their hands again.

The world seemed peaceful enough at the moment, of course; it had been a while since violence had struck anywhere close to home. Still, the thought of war made Liliath shiver. She had lost her father in the war, after all. Well, not *the* war, simply one of the many that her people seemed so prone to fighting. She had not been close to him - daughters rarely are, or even sons for that matter, children are, after all, children - but still. His death had led to the disintegration of the family, a common enough occurence, but hardly one that Liliath thought of pleasantly.

Liliath decided to stop thinking about war.

The sun was up already, though not for so long that it was hot. The scene caused her to smile briefly - home was welcoming. Gondor - that was the name of the place, wasn't it - had been fair, and the greenery had been very surprising, but it seemed a little distant, a little cold. Foreign places were fine, certainly, and Liliath would not be averse to visiting again some time in the future, but home was still best. The familiar golden expanses of sand were comforting, and here, in the desert, she knew exactly where she stood.

Her rambling thoughts were brought back sharply to the present, the immediate, with the commotion. Gothmog's brief show of authority brought a frown to her face, which she quickly smoothed over. She had thought everyone understood that Shahina's grandfather was the leader of the caravan. Liliath was not looking forward to people contesting his standing in the group. Power struggles rarely brought any good, and could have disastrous consequences. Of course, it was hardly her place to say anything - it was men's business, and nothing for her to worry about. Surely the men had some sort of understanding, perhaps Grandfather had asked that Gothmog manage any potentially dangerous situation, he was getting on in years, after all - but there she went again, speculating about things that she oughtn't to fuss about.

Another foreigner wished to join the caravan, apparently. The girl - Vanya, she said her name was - seemed harmless enough, but Liliath had to disapprove of the way she conducted herself. Then she remembered they were foreigners, with foreign ways. Still, it was terribly improper for the girl to be out on her own - her reputation would surely not take the damage well! Liliath felt a sudden rush of concern for the stranger. Perhaps her mother had not taught her the acceptable way to conduct herself, that would explain her girl's situation. The other wives of her father would not have bothered to teach her how to be pleasing; after all, if poor Vanya was eyed askance by the men, their own daughters would have more of a chance. She might have the advantage of some beauty - albeit a foreign sort, but nevertheless still there - but beauty was not everything. Then again, it could be. After all, Tahira, Liliath's sister, had had so many suitors that she only married at the late age of sixteen, and she was hardly the perfect wife. Of course, Liliath loved her well, and would not say a word against her, but they both knew that Tahira was a little outspoken, a little headstrong. She could still cook and clean well, of course, though, and so on...

“You can come with us.” He said, giving Gothmog a look that said he was still the senior leader of the caravan and would brook no argument. “But I’m not sure the horse will make it across the sands. It is a long trail. I suggest you send it back while you can. We have more than enough pack camels.”

Grandfather's comments were most appropriate, of course. Some of the foreigners were altogether too disrespectful, really, not heeding his advice. That was the only reason there were still some horses with them. But Grandfather had handled this situation well, certainly. But that
glance at Gothmog seemed to indicate some contest between them...

Liliath's musings were once again cut short by Shahina's exclamation.

“Liliath.” She turned to her cousin. “She has pointed ears!”

Liliath stared in disbelief. Surely that could not be true! But it was. Now that Shahina mentioned it, the fact that Vanya's ears were pointed was obvious. A whirlwind of disjointed thoughts caused Liliath some disorientation, but she managed to get a grip on herself without falling off her camel, so that was fine. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply.

"She must be an...elf." Liliath tried to be matter-of-fact about it, but she was certain her shock and disbelief were evident. The fear probably was too. An elf. Elf.

Another deep breath. "Shahina, decorum, please." Liliath fell back on the one thing she knew she could not go wrong with. Even amongst foreigners - and she felt that keenly now, with their seemingly easy acceptance of this...being - she could and would behave exceedingly well. Grandfather's decision was final. Final. It would be necessary to be polite to this Vanya, and she would allow herself to gossip, as all girls will, only when it would be seemly, and certainly not in front of the whole caravan. If she was never to be married, at least she would stop Shahina from ruining her own chances of a match.

Was this an overreaction? Yes, it was, and Liliath knew it. Still, she had to cling to something familiar lest she be lost in the stormy seas of foreign people and foreign practices and foreign ideals. If the desert must meet the sea, then the desert would do its best to stay hot and dry. It would not do for it to be drowned in salty water.
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 06:02
Araaduial heard the decree that Vanya would be allowed to join the small party, but she also heard the two younglings, whispering. Araa turned and glanced at Strider, unsure and fearful for where their new companion would happen to take them. Araa understood the fear of elves, which is why she had remained hidden the entire time she had ridden with the Haradrim. Now a young she-elf merely rode in and without second thought, exposed herself and could be sent to her death, unless Strider decided to step in. Araa lowered her head as they continued to ride on slowly, the prince talking to the two young ladies of something, but Araa chose not to hear, her own mind was whirling with the possibility of what could happen to this younger she-elf, until Strider startled her and touched her shoulder, asking her if she was alright. Araa nodded and gazed out ahead, her eyes searching the vast plains of the sand, her camel still moving along in its unsteady gait.
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2005 09:05
Vanya nearly collapsed with relief as the old man in the lead of the caravan gave her permission to travel with them. Despite her boisterious outlook, she was afraid. “Thank you,” She said quaveringly, near tears, in Haradrim, “Thank you so much….I have been so frightened ever since my father died – / She stopped, berating herself. What was she doing, revealing her fear to strangers? Holding her head high, she gave a grateful smile and joined the caravan. She passed two girls, talking softly and staring at her. Their eyes were filled with fear, and they drowned Vanya in dread. Her ears! Oh, why, why had she not covered them...it was so foolish of her. Now she must be on her guard. She smiled at the two girls. They were her age, mayhaps a bit older. She would try to make friends with them. Certainly she would need friends, she thought to herself. Slowing Mor Nar, she said quietly. “Yes, I am an elf. And true, there are wicked elves. But not all of them all. I have not come to harm any of you.” She suddenly grinned. “I guess I must look a bit strange, a green-eyed girl with pointy ears on a horse in the middle of a desert.” With that, she touched her heels to Mor Nar and they trotted slowly forward. She passed the Prince’s cold, unloving eyes and shuddered. “Oh, Valar,” She whispered. She stroked Mor Nar’s mane for comfort, conscious of the Prince’s eyes on her. Suddenly she noticed that the prince was likewise riding a black horse. Mayhaps she could make friends with him after all. Stopping briefly, she smiled at the Prince, knowing that if she made one false move then the guards would be upon her. “He is a pretty horse,” She said softly, her green eyes studying the prince as well as his horse. “What is his name? My horse’s name is Mor Nar…it means Dark flame. Does your horse’s name have a meaning?” She waited anxiously to see if he would trust her. “O, please, please!” She thought, “I haven’t had a friend for so long…”
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 03:25
Liliath noted with some surprise that some of the Northerners, even, seemed to have some misgivings about the elf. The Northerner - Strider, his name was - and a Northern lady who had moved in front at the commotion - now what was her name, surely she had introduced herself some time, oh well - seemed to be having a little conversation about the newcomer, though she didn't think they were exchanging all that many words. Unlike Shahina; goodness, that girl could chatter sometimes. Still, Grandfather had let the elf join, so Liliath did hope the foreigners would go along with it graciously - she had thought them a decent sort, and would not like to be proven wrong. And she herself would have to come to terms with having an elf travelling with the caravan - if she could tell Vanya was an elf, then Grandfather most certainly knew as well, and any decision he made was not to be contested, or even questioned. Grandfather was the eldest here, and the wisest.

Her overreaction of a few seconds ago was beginning to seem quite foolish to Liliath, and she was glad that she had never been one to voice all her thoughts aloud. Or perhaps that had been a result of her paternal grandmother's painful guidance. It mattered not, the important thing was she had not made too much of a fool of herself for verging on doubting Grandfather's judgement. She was calmer now though, that was good.

Now, the elf. Liliath had to cringe slightly at her grasp of the language, really, though it was comprehensible at least. She did think there was something odd about the girl though. She had seemed rather emotional, something about her father...though what that had to do with Grandfather agreeing to let her join the caravan, Liliath had no idea.

Liliath and Shahina were more or less quiet as the elf passed them. When the elf spoke, Liliath stiffened in shock. Was this girl an eavesdropper then!

“Yes, I am an elf. And true, there are wicked elves. But not all of them all. I have not come to harm any of you.” She suddenly grinned. “I guess I must look a bit strange, a green-eyed girl with pointy ears on a horse in the middle of a desert.”

To pretend that she had enough of a standing in the group to speak thus! She had not come to harm any of us indeed; well of course not, unless she was stupid as well as ill-behaved, how would one girl possibly be expected to harm any person in the group, unless she was planning on calling down her allies to ambush the caravan! Talk about presumptious! How much did this elf think her word counted for? And to grin, why, what an unexpected expression on any girl's face. Did she think everything not deserving of severity then? Did she assume her complete and total acceptance into the caravan? Certainly, everyone would be polite, and well-mannered, after all, Grandfather had said she could join them, but still. To pretend to be on such familiar terms with everyone! And did she look strange? No! The sight of her was not so much one that was strange, as one that people would be incredulous at. A lone girl out on the deserts? Had her common sense deserted her! And on a horse, no less.

Well, Liliath would not let first impressions run away with her. She was not a harsh person, after all. But they would see about her, indeed, they would see. As Liliath tried to control her slight sense of outrage, she turned to see how Shahina was reacting to this elf-girl. Oh, and to ensure that Shahina was behaving perfectly too, of course. Warning glances might be in order.

And then the most unbelieveable thing happened. Surely it had not. Had the girl actually *spoken* to Gothmog?!

Stopping briefly, she smiled at the Prince, knowing that if she made one false move then the guards would be upon her. “He is a pretty horse,” She said softly, her green eyes studying the prince as well as his horse. “What is his name? My horse’s name is Mor Nar…it means Dark flame. Does your horse’s name have a meaning?”

Of all the - Did the girl have no shame? Such forwardness! Liliath had felt sympathy for the poor foreign girl at one point in time, not all that long ago, but such behaviour was incredible! Even without a mother's guidance, or any guidance whatsoever, it should have been more than obvious that such behaviour was unacceptable! Clearly this girl's behaviour had nothing to do with upbringing, and everything to do with character. Liliath felt certain that herself and Shahina would do well to associate little with her. Appraising a man, indeed! That was more than a little too obvious. And smiling at him too! Liliath was certain that Grandfather would have no objections to her and Shahina maintaining much distance between themselves and Vanya. After all, Liliath was on this trip as much to keep an eye on Shahina as anything else - she was not particularly useful around the place, after all, and probably more of a burden than not. But Liliath knew she could be depended on to keep her cousin out of any improper situations, and that was surely the reason she was there. Even Shahina agreed Liliath was the more sensible of the two when it came to such things, though anyone looking for advice on how to handle a camel, for example, would hardly benefit from speaking to her.

Liliath had made up her mind. Shahina and herself would not be caught consorting with this foreign girl, no, they would not. If she turned out at a later date to be a more respectable sort, then that was all very well and current actions would be regrettable and all, but the situation would hardly be beyond repair - the cousins would hardly have risked being rude to anyone, so Vanya would have no reason to take offence. And if, indeed, this girl was confirmed to be deserving of a less than blemish-free reputation, well, then the right decision would have been made, and the cousins' reputations would be intact.

Liliath would speak to Shahina later about this, away from prying eyes and interested ears. If Shahina had already seen this for herself, well and good, and they could speculate about other, less urgent things; if she was too sympathetic to the elf, then Liliath would just have to convince her otherwise. It would not be the first time, and would be simple enough. But either way, it would have to wait; Liliath refused to give ill-mannered beings chances to eavesdrop, oh no she wouldn't.
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 03:59
Gothmog nodded solemnly to Shahina's grandfather (sorry I couldn't find his name anywhere). The guards parted and Gothmog turned to go as well but the girl, Vanya, brought her horse along side of his and started talking. He is a pretty horse,” She said softly, her green eyes studying the prince as well as his horse. “What is his name? My horse’s name is Mor Nar…it means Dark flame. Does your horse’s name have a meaning?” Gothmog's first instinct was to ignore her but, after all, she was in the caravan now and as a Prince he was supposed to be able to speak. "Berethor is his name." He said slowly. "As to the meaning we do not reveal that to strangers." He shouldered his spear and tapped Berethor's flanks lightly, speeding the horse up but going slow enough to where the elf could keep up if she wished. "It is a long way from your home to our's they say." He asked with simple diplomacy. "What brings you so far?" He cast a sidelong look at Liliath and Shahina in the caravan and then started once again scanning the desert.
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 05:59
Araaduial sensed the anxiety from the two girls and she glanced back at them, only to watch Vanya pass by them and go to Gothmog. The horror on the girls faces matched that of her's and she looked quickly at Strider, fear and apprehension on her fair features, even underneath her hood. Without thinking, her hand went straight for her sword as Vanya began to talk with the prince, and Strider turned, feeling the anxiety all around her. Feeling his stare, she turned to him, and he motioned with his eyes at her sword, telling her to back off before she caused trouble where none were needed. Taking a deep even breath, she relaxed and continued to ride in silence, her mind awhirl of how to confront the young Vanya and tell her that not all people were as friendly as elves.
Glancing back once more, Araa was suprised that Gothmog had restrained himself and allowed the young she-elf to ride alongside him. The culture around herself was far different than that of the elves and she knew that Vanya was being carefree in the way of the elves, perhaps it could help the situation rather than harm it, at least Araa prayed that it would.
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 06:32
When she had seen the horror on the two girls faces, Vanya had nearly cried out in shame. Had these people different rules as she did? She bit her lip. Suddenly she heard the prince speak in answer to her question.
"Berethor is his name." He said slowly. "As to the meaning we do not reveal that to strangers." He shouldered his spear and tapped Berethor's flanks lightly, speeding the horse up but going slow enough to where the elf could keep up if she wished. "It is a long way from your home to our's they say." He asked with simple diplomacy. "What brings you so far?"

Vanya smiles, but wisely smiled down, not meeting the prince's eyes. She guesed that it was not wise to do so.
"Berethor," She said quietly, "That is a pretty name." She continued riding alongside the prince, watching him exchange a glance with the two girls from the corner of her sparkling green eye. Finally, she answered the prince's question.
" I do not now what brings me here." She said. "My father and I lived on the outskirts of Gondor," She exchanged a quick glance with the ranger, Strider. Somehow his face seemed familiar. Then she continued. "My father bred horses, sure-footed, swift, and made for the desert. Mor Nar is one of them." She said, patting her horse. She summoned up all her courage and spoke once more, "I am sorry if I have offended or been rude to any here. It was not my intention. But I am not accustomed to the ways of the Haradrim, and know not how to act." Her green eyes looked down at the ground, where she thought none could see the pain that lingered in them. "I apologize." She said finally. She glanced up, suddenly conscious that many were watching her. She could almost read their astonished thoughts.
A she-elf, allowed to ride beside the Prince! Unheard of!
Her eyes glistening with tears of shame, Vanya continued to ride alongside Gothmog, silent, looking at the ground.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 01:12
[OOC: Hello Ally. *grins and waves at Autumn_winds*. Yes that was very redundant, but you *know* I am prone to redundancy.]

"She must be an...elf." Liliath tried to be matter-of-fact about it, but she was certain her shock and disbelief were evident.

“Oh Liliath…” Shahina raised her eyes to the heavens. Her cousin could be so timid at times, and yet so confident and sure of herself when it came to enforcing “the rules” – that is, the rules defined by tradition and society. But Shahina, on the other hand, more resembled Liliath’s older sister, Tahira the outspoken and headstrong. Liliath – she was the good Haradrim girl, modest and obedient, and an awfully good housekeeper to boot. Where Liliath was fearful of the unknown, Shahina saw new experiences as adventure, tending to see almost any stranger as a potential friend, posessing a thirst for knowledge of the world beyond the sand dunes and dry, dusty cities of Harad. What Liliath saw as rudeness and forthrightness, Shahina thought of as having backbone and having her say in male-dominated Haradrim society. She did not view Vanya with fear, but more with curiosity. Perhaps sometime soon they could find an excuse to talk! A real elf, here riding with them! She had heard such strange tales of the elves… Maybe now she would have the answers to all the questions she had not been allowed to ask.

Vanya trotted her horse over, and now Shahina’s trained eyes could see it was not of the kind the men of Gondor were wont to use. It was taller, leaner, built more for speed than strength, and looked somewhat like the fine, fiery horses Grandfather bred for racing in the desert.

She smiled at the two girls. They were her age, mayhaps a bit older. She would try to make friends with them. Certainly she would need friends, she thought to herself. Slowing Mor Nar, she said quietly. “Yes, I am an elf. And true, there are wicked elves. But not all of them all. I have not come to harm any of you.” She suddenly grinned. “I guess I must look a bit strange, a green-eyed girl with pointy ears on a horse in the middle of a desert.”

Shahina returned the smile, and the elf moved on to speak to Gothmog. She was shocked, but at the same time admiring of the way the foreigner could be so open with men. Liliath would have berated the living daylights out of her if she had just walked up to Gothmog and spoken to him like Vanya was now doing. Not to mention Grandfather. He would probably even go as far as to take a stick to her. Indeed, her cousin was looking scandalised. She turned to look at the other members of company – Strider was talking quietly to his companion, the woman Araaduial. She, too, looked disapproving.

“And you thought I was bad, cousin.” Shahina giggled. “She doesn’t even lower her eyes in the presence of men! She’s meeting Gothmog’s eyes! Oh, Grandfather looks like he did the time Xhush Dil got into a fight with another trader’s camels and broke his leg!”

The column jerked into motion again. Kalu snorted and blew hard through his nostrils, refusing to move until he had coughed up a large wad of frothy green slime – the remnants of this morning’s breakfast. By the time Shahina kicked him back into his usual loping gait, she found that Liliath and herself had dropped to the end of the line, riding alongside the Northerners Strider and his lady friend.
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 02:06
Gothmog shifted slightly on Berethor's saddle and smiled warmly at the she-elf beside him. "It is not easy to breed horses for the desert." He said gently. "Your father must have been of great skill." He scanned the horizan once more; it would be night soon, he thought, a good time for the carravan to try and regain a sense of normalcy. "And do not be worried for my people." He smiled again. "Sometimes it is good to be... surprised." He cast a glance back at the caravan leader and his father and his smile broadened. "Sometimes it is all that lets others know that we are alive."
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 02:22
Slightly surpised at Gothmog's kindness, Vanya lifted her gaze from the ground to the prince, grinning. Remembering her place, she quickly looked behind her, pretending to scan the horizan. She saw one of the two girls smiling broadly at her and smiled slightly back, restraining herself from grinning again. She was glad that this girl was not as stern-looking as the others. With Shahina's smile and Gothmog's kindness together, she felt warmed. Hearing Gothmog's words, she returned to her normal position in her saddle. "Thankyou," She finally said. "I am honored that you, my lord, consider my father great skill. He would've been honored too, I'm sure." She glanced back at the two northernors, looking for a sign of approval. The elven-lady still looked grim, but smiled slightly at the girl. The ranger, Strider, winked and grinned. He obviously was glad that the girl was getting along so well. She heard the Prince speak again, and glanced up at him
"And do not be worried for my people." He smiled again. "Sometimes it is good to be... surprised." He cast a glance back at the caravan leader and his father and his smile broadened. "Sometimes it is all that lets others know that we are alive."
Encouraged by his grin, Vanya smiled. "Still, I have offended any," She said. "I would apologize to them. I know not how to act." She looked up at him slightly with her face, but studied the horizon behind him instead of his face with her eyes. She was afraid that she would somehow commit a horrible mistake, not knowing the Haradrim ways. "Do you think they would forgive me?" She asked hesitantly. She watched The sinking sun as Mor Nar cantered easilily next to Berethor.
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 01:03
Yes, it was clear warning glances were very much needed.

"Shahina! Please, cousin, could you behave a little more like a girl of your own, rather high, standing? You, at least, know what is expected." Liliath tried to frown sternly at her cousin. Her cousin's giggly comments about Grandfather's looks made her give up rather though. (It was actually an extremely amusing thing.) She raised her eyes to the heavens in an exasperated plea.

"Oh, Shahina..."

Really, was it too much to hope that her cousin would at least refrain from improper behaviour in public? Or at least, could she not be well-mannered around strangers? Goodness, did she have to smile at the elf? The girl would be the death of her! But then again, Liliath had known that long, long ago...

And Gothmog was speaking to the elf. That was, to say the least, unexpected. They were having a conversation! And he smiled at her. Well! Certainly it was not her place to judge Gothmog's behaviour, and men could mostly do what they liked, in any case. But still, she had hardly expected that to happen. It was...odd. And that strange smile that he had... Liliath wondered whether Gothmog was really someone who ought to be trusted that much. Not in the general sense, of course, Grandfather must be most certain of his character. But...it might be advisable to ensure that he and Shahina spent little enough time together. Liliath didn't really think Shahina was sweet on him anyway, so that would probably be easy enough to manage. And Gothmog looked like he would be much more interested in the elf than in Shahina. Though men being men, that didn't actually mean all that much.

At least Vanya seemed to be correcting her behaviour slightly. But she was a foreigner, and still worthy of suspicion.

The Northern lady though, now she looked sensible enough. She didn't seem to approve of Vanya's behaviour at all. That showed respect for Haradrim traditions, and Liliath had to have some respect for her for that. The lady's relationship with Strider though...that was something that could give rise to interesting speculation if people were bored enough. They looked to be very familiar, had probably known each other for quite some time, and besides, they were both foreigners - so any not-entirely-appropriate behaviour there could be written off.

Any of Strider's inappropriate "encouragement" of the elf's inappropriate behaviour would have to be written off. Grandfather clearly trusted him, and he was foreign. And he was a man. That gave Liliath no right to judge his behaviour, especially since none of his actions would truly affect the Haradrim girls. Still, his actions did not endear him to Liliath, though she was more or less undecided about her opinion of him.

Putting aside her considerations of the people in the caravan, Liliath realised that both she and Shahina had fallen rather far behind. Prodding her camel and kicking her a bit, Liliath kept her balance as they lurched to a faster pace.

The camel was not her best friend.
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 01:29
Vanya smiled. "Still, I have offended any," She said. "I would apologize to them. I know not how to act." She looked up at him slightly with her face, but studied the horizon behind him instead of his face with her eyes. She was afraid that she would somehow commit a horrible mistake, not knowing the Haradrim ways. "Do you think they would forgive me?" She asked hesitantly. Gothmog hesitated briefly. "For now," he started. "It is best not to ask. Oft times it is wiser to let the sand cat rest before trying to pet it. Do not be troubled though, all will be forgiven; in time." Gothmog watched the sun creep closer and closer to the horizan and waited for the call to pitch camp. He was keenly aware of the eyes of the caravan on him, but there were times both as a Prince and as a person where what people thought had to be placed under what was right.
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 05:58
Araaduial watched the interraction between Vanya and Gothmog, relaxing as she watched Gothmog smile and seemingly relax around the young she-elf. Her attention was averted though when she realized that the two young girls had fallen back and she turned and looked at them, watching them, they seemed to be having some kind of debate between themselves, but Araa restrained herself from listening in, her elven ears trained ahead, listening for signs of trouble. Strider had gotten somewhat relaxed with his camel, so now he rode without clinging to it as though he were afraid to fall off, but now looked around and especially kept an eye on Vanya, making sure no trouble arose between her and the prince. Araa still had not relaxed, even though her whole demeanor said she had, her dark eyes flitted from person to person, and she seemed to be intensely listening ahead, hardly noticing the two young girls behind them. Araa thought of her home far away in Lorien and she swallowed hard, how she missed her mother and father, they never seemed concerned as she rode abroad, especially if she were in the company of Aragorn, her mellon. Today seemed to have taken forever, even for a she-elf, perhaps all the activity had lengthened the day, but she highly doubted it, it was most likely due to being in a strange land and having to keep a close guard in case of any trouble, but as she glanced up at the sky, she noticed the sun was beginning to set and she wondered if they were to find camp soon or to ride through the night, which she doubted since the party was not all men, but with ladies and they would be wearying. As for herself, Araa was good for another couple of days without sleep, being elf-kind, she could prolong her energy and continue to remain awake in case of war or danger. Glancing at the young girls, she noticed they had calmed down a bit and were beginning to look wearied, and she focused all her attention on a guard that had approached Gothmog, and she heard them speak of when they were to stop, which would be soon, but in a strange land, soon could be anywhere from a couple of minutes to several hours.
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 08:05
Gothmog hesitated briefly. "For now," he started. "It is best not to ask. Oft times it is wiser to let the sand cat rest before trying to pet it. Do not be troubled though, all will be forgiven; in time."
Vanya nodded. She knew it would be wise to heed the Prince's words. She slowed Mor Nar to a trot as Gothmog began to talk to one of the guards concerning nightfall. Vanya forced herself not to listen - she did not want to be labeled an eavesdropper. While the prince talked, she had a chance to survey the others in the caravan. The other she-elf, Araaduil, she had said her name was, seemed more than slightly dissaproving of Vanya's approach of the caravan, but seemed kind enough. One of the two girls that were her age, (Vanya knew not her name) Seemed friendly, and slightly reminded Vanya of herself. The other seemed stern and disapproving completely of Vanya, though she did not know why. She had only tried to be friendly, not knowing the ways of the Haradrim. The Older Man that lead the group also seemed stern, but kind. The ranger, Strider, was encouraging and friendly. Vanya liked him as soon as she saw him. His face seemed very familiar in a way. The gaurds she had not talked to, guessing that it would be "unseemly" for her to do so. Gothmog seemed wise for his age, kind, and more or less friendly. She wwas glad that he had taken so well to her, unlike others in the caravn. She hoped that they could be friends, but was afraid to ask. She continued riding slowly across the desert.
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 08:27
Gothmog turned to the guard and listened, trusting the she-elf not to eavesdrop. "There are rumors of bandits following behind my lord." The guard whispered. "We can stop here or carry on, the choice is either yours or the leaders." Gothmog paused thoughtfully.
"Scout ahead." He said softly. "There is a cave not far from here. If you can find it within a mile come back and we will make for that. If not then report and I will see what the leader will say." The guard bowed and rode off into the dusk and Gothmog turned back to Vanya. "The road ahead is dark mylady." He said. Then smiled broadly, "But they say that every dark cloud hides the sun behind it, and perhaps it was your destiny to join us here."

[Edited on 28/10/2005 by Aranoth]
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2005 10:16
Vanya studied the sinking sun until the Prince turned back to her.
Gothmog turned back to Vanya. "The road ahead is dark mylady." He said. Then smiled broadly, "But they say that every dark cloud hides the sun behind it, and perhaps it was your destiny to join us here."
Vanya understood that by saying that, Gothmog meant there was trouble brewing. But not trouble stirred by her, at least. What the trouble was, Vanya did not know. Was there a battle ahead? Vanya did not know, but she trusted the Prince. And, he had hinted about the trouble, so she figured that he would tell her when the time was ripe. Restraining her curiosity, Vanya bowed her head to the Prince.
"I shall be glad to help all of you in any way possible, my lord." Mor Nar snorted suddenly and Vanya looked down at her, watching her actions. Mor Nar's head was turned to the side, and One of her ears was pricked towards her, while the other was turned behind her. Vanya's keen elven eyes searched the desert behind her. Was it her imagination, or was there a dust cloud on the furthest dune?
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 30, 2005 07:37
The day wore on, long and slow like almost any other day in the desert, but at last the sun was beginning to set in a great golden ball of flame over the horizon ahead of them. It would be time to stop soon, and make camp for the night. The day’s slight disturbances – as well as the Northerners’ unfamiliarity with the rigours of desert travel – had caused the small group to fall a little behind schedule. They would not reach the oasis today, and it would be one more night of warm, slightly salty and sandy water from the pots and skins they carried. Oh well, Shahina sighed. The water wouldn’t taste as bad made into tea with liberal amounts of milk and sugar. In Gondor, there had been a river. A proper, large one, not the tiny trickles she was used to. And wells round nearly every corner. She could have bet the Gondorians hardly ever ran out of water. What a cosseted existence! They had it all – cool, mild climate, plentiful water and greenery, a kind land…

Shahina was jolted back to reality as Gothmog suddenly called a halt to the caravan, and everything ground to a standstill with a lot of clinking of pots and bells and goods, creaking of saddles, and roars of protest from the animals at being made to stop so abruptly. A guard took off into the distance after a hurried, whispered conference with Gothmog. The prince and Vanya turned as one to look behind them, and Shahina turned too, curious.

The air was still and beginning to cool. She could hear the slightest of rumbles that sounded like the pounding of many hooves, frenzied and urgent. Was that dust, rising on the horizon behind them? Beneath her, Kalu quivered, his head raised and ears pricked in the direction of the rumble. She looked around – the camels and horses were restless, the more highly strung beasts almost dancing on their toes. Grandfather was conversing quietly but tensely with a few of the men – she distinctly caught the words “bandits” and “robbers”. The rumble was getting nearer. Now Shahina could identify the distinct “thuds” that marked an approaching band on horses. It did not sound like another group of traders with burdened camels.

Grandfather guided his camel over.

“Shahina, Liliath – take the Northerners and the pack camels and head as fast as possible in that direction (he indicated with a quick sweep of his hand). Gothmog says there should be a defensible cave a mile or so off – he will lead you. You will wait for us there. The rest of us will rejoin you once we have established whether the approaching group is friend or foe. And do not light fires. These are dangerous times. Keep the North Star over your right shoulder.”

He moved to speak with Strider. Shahina knew it was not in her place to eavesdrop – Liliath would be on her in a second – and so began rounding up the beasts of burden, stringing them on a long rope so that their handlers could stay and help Grandfather should the occasion arise, and so that she could lead them all together on her own. Then she motioned to Araaduial to make ready, and trotting over to Vanya, tapped her on the shoulder.

“We must go. Grandfather wants us to take the pack camels out of the way – he thinks there may be bandits coming.”
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 03:41
Vanya was hardly conscious of the commotion. She was fixed looking behind. Yes, that was definetely a dust cloud. And a dust cloud meant a pack of fast-moving horses - or camels. Even now, her keen elven eyes could make out the shapes of people racing down the dunes on the mounts. She turned, her body calm but her green eyes startled, to see that Shahina and Liliath, the two girls, were rounding up the pack camels and were taking them -along with the northerners -in a different direction. Vanya's mind whirled - was she supposed to go with the Northernors or stay here. She reached down to her belt, remembering that all she had there was a pouch of herbs and an elven knife. Vanya berated herself for her stupidity. Why had she not taken Narrist? Why had she not taken up her father's sword?
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 04:44
Gothmog surveyed the dust cloud with the casual calm of a seasoned warrior. War was as much a part of the Harad life as the sand of the desert, Gothmog had never been afraid of it before and why should he start now. "Quickly my lady join the others." He said to Vanya nodding towards Shahina and Liliath. "We make for the caves, there we may hold them long." He spurred Berethor into a slow trot towards the back of the line of camels as the beasts strained towards the caves. Once again he looked over his shoulder at the gathering dust cloud behind; they should be able to make it to the cave. But then again nothing was sure in the desert.
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 04:57
"Quickly my lady join the others." He said to Vanya nodding towards Shahina and Liliath. "We make for the caves, there we may hold them long."
Vanya nodded, still slightly bewildered. Lightly touching Mor Nar with her heels, she broke into a gallop and was soon at the side of the two girls. She glanced at them quickly, knowing that it was no time to worry about manners.
"We have to get them to move faster," She said hesitantly. "Otherwise we shall not make it to the cave in time." Vanya's mind and senses were tense, waiting. Glancing back over her shoulder, she saw that the bandits were going full gallop towards them, while the camels only were in a slow lope. She saw Aragorn's camel was lagging slightly behind the others. Skillfully steering Mor Nar behind him, she hit her own knee with her crop, making a loud cracking sound. the camel went faster, and Vanya continued riding around the party, making sure none lagged behind.
Araaduial
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2005 06:23
Araaduial's hand had gone to her sword in reflex, forgetting where she was at the moment. Strider caught her arm and hissed a no at her, before being summoned by the leader, but as he left her side, he gave her a warning glance of, "Don't cause trouble, stay with the group!" Araa scowled from underneath her hood, but riding next to Liliath and Shahina, she was motioned forward. Obviously women in these parts did not stand and fight, but Araa disagreed, but being Strider's aide, she had no say in the matter. Riding forward, she saw Vanya make sure there were none lagging, and continuously circle the group in order to keep watch. Araa constantly kept an eye out as Liliath lead the small party toward some protected caves ahead, her keen ears listening past the party into the deafening silence of the desert. Riding in silence, she remained hidden within her cloak, none of the girls looking close enough to see her fair face or her pointed ears in the settling dusk. The faint outline of her sword shimmered under her cloak, and she saw Liliath glance at it, before biting her lip and looking away. Araa merely continued riding along, her camel snorting and suddenly stopping, it's eyes wide and it's nose flaring, as it began to shuffle sideways. Araa spoke soothingly to it, wondering what it had sensed, but after a second, it continued moving along as if nothing had happened.
Autumn_Winds
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2005 06:59
Grandfather's words jolted Liliath out of her, once again, wandering thoughts. With surprise and a little fear, she realised there was a cloud of dust behind the group that seemed to be getting closer, and making no small amount of noise, at that. Quickly moving to help Shahina in dealing with the beasts of burden, Liliath suppressed any thoughts of the many wars that had ravaged the Haradrim community. Small battles, yes, but terrible nonetheless. People had died in them.

But this was nothing like a war. A bandit attack, probably. They might not wish to kill anyone, but that was hardly guaranteed. They could not be expected to refrain from a massacre, could they? Death was a rather hazy thought, not something that was feared, exactly - not yet, at least - but something that took a secondary place to the fear of...pain? No not that either; perhaps just a simple fear of the unknown, of the terror and confusion and pain that would be expected to exist in an attack, any attack; Liliath had been conditioned to expect herself to be vulnerable in any such situation.

That was hardly what she needed to be thinking of then. With another jump, Liliath realised Shahina had finished with the pack camels, and had gone on to speak briefly with the foreign women. Of course, they would be unaware of the course of action to be taken. Not bothering to wait for Gothmog - he would easily be able to outpace the group and lead them if they were going the wrong way - Liliath hurried to the front of the women and rode off in the direction of the cave. Shahina ought to be able to manage the pack camels more or less on her own; they might be a bit of a handful, but she had worked with camels practically all her life. Well, been around them at least.

...Was that a sword the Northern lady had under her cloak? Goodness, if she knew how to use it that would be a scandal, but terribly useful, of course, possibly saving her life, the lives of others, oh, something better than cowering and hoping that the bandits would not want to kill, or would not want to take the women - mostly the pretty ones, but really, in desperate times, who knew - this time around, if there were children, perhaps it would save them, certainly it would be a relief to the men if they could depend on the women to defend themselves, and not need to send some of their number to protect them, oh goodness, a sword... The apprehension made Liliath's thoughts more tangled than ever. She bit her lip and looked away almost violently, scanning the horizon and not seeing all that much.

Night fell quickly in the desert, and the sun was already dipping dangerously low; soon it would be night. Liliath prodded her camel into greater speed, and looked around to see that the others could keep up. A distant part of her mind noted that Vanya was circling the group, making sure none lagged behind - was that really her place, so recently accepted? - but that was fine, really, Liliath hardly accorded it any importance, given the urgency of the situation. Though later it might come back to her, and she would ponder. A distant memory of some sharp sound had been recorded - was the elf so familiar with camels? - but no, that was not important either.

Speed, speed, speed; to the caves, yes, North Star over the right shoulder, yes; hurry, hurry, hurry; was everyone keeping up? yes? good. Liliath's mind discarded useless thoughts - or rather, perhaps, allowed them to fall neatly into a box marked for later reference - and concentrated on the immediate, urgent, necessary things to be done.

Another worried, anxious look was thrown over her shoulder. "Hurry," she mouthed, and hoped their sense of urgency would convince the camels their lives were in danger, which might possibly persuade the stubborn creatures to move a little faster. Surely even camels did not look forward to death.

That thought was cut off hastily. Not death again.
Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2005 01:48
Gothmog saw the cloud gaining on them. Why hadn't they slowed for Liliath's grandfather? The prince signaled the guards to continue on with the caravan and halted near where the northerners camel had panicked, his eyes desperatly trying to pierce the gathering cloud, he stuck his spear into the sand beside him and drew out his bow. Just in case.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 01:13
The group lurched – no, wobbled uncertainly – into action, detaching itself from the main band of men. Shahina watched as Liliath took the lead. Her cousin knew what was to be done in times like this, and anyway she would hand over her temporary position back to Gothmog, once he caught up. It worked like that – this was a man’s world. Strider’s companion finally left his side after exchanging a few terse words with him (at least, that was how Shahina had read the tone), and joined the women, but not before Shahina was made aware of the flash of the sun’s dying rays on something… shiny and… metallic concealed under the woman’s cloak. That could only mean one thing – a weapon. She carried a sword! Why, that was nothing short of mutiny, a woman owning and carrying her own weapon – good Haradrim girls certainly were not allowed to. Perhaps a bow and arrows in dire, extreme – repeat, extreme – need, but nothing more than that. Women were not expected to fight, except in the most desperate of circumstances, and even then only on the sidelines. Shahina mused bitterly that might have been the cause of all those tragic tales she had heard of conquering tribes and their chieftains’ dysfunctional harems. It happened all the time. When wars or even petty disputes were over and won the winner almost always looked for the other side’s women first. But the resentful feelings suddenly took second place to a greater, much more pressing wave of fear as Shahina realized the approaching group had come into view over the distant horizon. Grandfather and the men had turned to face them; the women were expected to run now, and fast.

Looking around, the girl saw Vanya had taken up the role of the rearguard, keeping everyone in front of her – Shahina personally gave her extra marks for the initiative. Araaduial was watching the road ahead, her expression rapt. Liliath still led the way, anxiety evident in every line of her face. She threw a panicked look at Shahina over her shoulder, and she realized her cousin wished to speed up. The sun had set. Looking back at the slowly diminishing group of men, Shahina saw the approachers coming into focus; she could even make out vague horse shapes now, dark against the cool, deepening blue of the late evening sky. That was not good – that meant the bandits were approaching at quite a speed. It was time for more… drastic measures. Nodding to Liliath, Shahina gave the rope holding the pack camels an almost violent tug and clicked her tongue to Kalu, who snorted, blew hard, and finally getting the message – had he somehow caught the urgency thick in the air? – broke into a full gallop, flinging his great padded feet out before him to cover the wide expanses of sand quicker, head held low and neck stretched in front of him. She knew it was quite a risky thing to do given normal circumstances, starting a “controlled stampede” as she was doing now (and what an oxymoron that was too, she thought), but they were desperate. Shahina knew from her years of experience among camels and fiery, high-strung horses that once you set one off into a frenzied run, the rest would follow suit. Perhaps it had been some ancient survival instinct, to run when the rest of the herd did so as not to be left behind, but it would work for her now, just as she had seen it work for Grandfather a few times before. She decided to ignore the fact she had never tried this solo in her entire life. She also decided to ignore how traumatizing things could potentially get for the foreigners, who had never learned to control camels properly – or even ridden at a speed faster than a leisurely trade caravan trot – before.

Now with Shahina and the pack animals in the lead (protesting loudly and vigorously in the only way a camel knows how; that is, to bellow and belch long and loud), the group found itself streaming across the cooling sands. They had quite a bit to go before they reached the caves and safety, and even then it would only be relative safety. If the bandits – if they were indeed thugs – got past Grandfather and the traders and found them in the caves, they would have to fight after all, decorum or no decorum. Shahina reached down to the small leather pouch that hung from Kalu’s wooden saddle frame, and fingered the small, light bow that had been a birthday gift from her father. She only hoped it wouldn’t come to such a situation where she would be forced to use it.

Aranoth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 02:30
Gothmog was standing on Berethor's stirrups when the bandits finally met the patriachs party. They stopped briefly and talked but from what Gothmog could see (which admittanly was not much) it didn't seem to be a terribly friendly conversation. He sat down again and whipped Berethor's rains around sending the desert stallion into a full gallop. Like the wind Berethor leapt across the sands and within moments Gothmog had caught up with the carvan! He carefully steered around the camels and moved back into the front with Liliath.
"Quickly my Lady." He said. "There is a warning in my heart this night. I fear blood may flow before the dawn."
Anamaleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2005 04:16
Mor Nar snorted, tossing her head in warning. Vanya looked backward. Her elven eyes could now even make out the men on the horses, though the others probably could but see the horses. Vanya looked from them to the caravan and knew it would be hopeless if they did not go faster. With a last crack of her whip, she galloped forward on Mor Nar. Jumping over a sand drift, she soon caught up with Gothmog and Liliath. "Please," She said. "They won't listen to me. We must move faster!" Out of the corner of her eye she saw a pack camel moving out of line. She rode beside it, cracking her whip as hard as she could on her own leg. She winced. They must stay in line, or the situation would surely be hopeless! Vanya galloped once more to the lead. Passing Shahina, she nodded her head in greeting. She stayed slightly behind Liliath and Gothmog, knowing that they were the leaders. She glanced over shoulder, still making sure that no one lagged behind. And sighed. The bandits were getting closer. She shook her head, watching Mor Nar's ears. They would surely not be able to make it to the cave, wherever it was. The dunes today would be spattered with blood. Vanya reached for her belt and touched the hilt of her dagger, no matter how useless it would be on horseback, she was still glad to have it.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email