Register

Author Topic:
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Mysterious Quest...
on: November 09, 2005 07:02
*CLANG!*

Aaricia started as the blacksmith’s hammer came down hard on the horseshoe he was working. She had been momentarily lost in memories of the past, and the sound brought her back to the present. The odor of burnt hoof wafted through the air as the blacksmith applied the hot iron and expertly hammered it into place. The smell made Aaricia slightly queasy and she stepped away from the forge, towards the fresher air outside.

It wouldn’t be long, she thought, until her steed, Fural, was re-shod, and then what? Here she was in Minas Tirith after months of searching for her beloved Thorgal, and she still hadn’t picked up the slightest piece of information as to where he had gone. It was as if he had disappeared off the face of Middle Earth!

Aaricia sighed in frustration, and absently tucked a stray golden lock back beneath the headscarf she was wearing. Perhaps she should spend a few nights in the great White City, she thought. Surely someone here would have word of her betrothed. He had left her for his mysterious quest over a year ago now, and the loneliness of the passing seasons had become increasingly insufferable until she felt that she had no choice but to follow in his footsteps.

For the ten thousandth time, Aaricia fingered the items in the small pouch that she kept tied to her belt. The small lumps beneath her fingers revealed each object in turn, and she thought of the only things she had left linking her to Thorgal: A signet ring with a mysterious symbol inscribed upon it – no one had been able to tell her the meaning of the marking– a detailed map of some unknown place, without any recognizable landmarks or names to indicate it’s location, and a small golden whistle that seemed to be broken: it produced no sound no matter how hard she blew upon it.

Aaricia frowned again as she remembered the night when she had found the strange trio of objects along with a note hastily scrawled in her beloved’s hand:

“My dearest beloved Aaricia,
You will not understand why I had to leave,
but you must believe that I had no choice in
the matter.
Keep these items hidden until I have returned
and speak to no one of their existence. If I do
not come back within a year, bury the objects
deep within the forest and never reveal their
location.
I have brought this great sorrow upon us, and
I now leave to attempt to repair the foolish deeds
of my youth. I hope you will be able to forgive me.
Forever yours,
Thorgal.”

The mysterious note still weighed as heavily on her mind as it had when she first read it over a year ago, now. What foolish deeds could Thorgal possibly be referring to, she pondered yet again. He was a simple man: A talented carpenter well known for his exquisite work in the small series of villages in the Northern territory where he lived. They had met when Aaricia was visiting her great aunt who lived in the same village, and had quickly fallen in love. His proposal had been the happiest day of her life and they had spent every waking moment together since that day. Thorgal had never given her the slightest indication that there might be anything mysterious about his past, nor had he ever mentioned the strange objects which she had found on the wooden table that he had made for her as a gift soon after they met.

Shaking her head to rid herself of these troublesome thoughts, Aaricia turned as the blacksmith hammered the final nail into place and led Fural outside. Placing the appropriate sum in his rough palm, she took hold of her steed’s bridle and considered her options. Evening was falling in Minas Tirith, and leaving the safety of the White City’s walls at this time of day could be perilous. She had better find shelter for the night in one of the many inns at the lower levels of the city. She thanked the blacksmith for his work and led Fural forward out of the man’s shop and back onto the bustling streets of the city. It was too crowded for her to ride here, and so she picked her way slowly through the throng, keeping a sharp eye out for an inn that would accommodate both her and the horse for the night.

Perversely, despite being surrounded by a crowd of people, Aaricia felt suddenly more alone than ever. She had been searching for Thorgal for months now and her money was getting low. If she didn’t find a indication as to where he had gone, and soon, she would be forced to abandon the hunt. In the past few weeks, she had become increasingly certain he was lost to her forever, and in desperation, she had ignored Thorgal’s letter and shown the strange objects to some of the people she had met along the way. But none of them had been able to tell her anything about the strange symbols on the ring or the map, nor why he would have given her a whistled that did not produce any sound. And yet, ever since she had left the last village, Aaricia had begun to feel as if someone were following or watching her. She turned and glanced around the crowd uneasily now, sensing unwanted attention, but as before, she couldn’t discern anything that would cause the feeling.

Perhaps I am just imagining things, she told herself wearily. After all, the passing weeks on the road had taken their toll and she had become increasingly exhausted by each fruitless day of her search. Perhaps I’m just tired, she muttered…But even as she told herself not to be foolish, goosebumps broke out on the back of her neck and she knew with the same strange certainty that she had felt before that someone or something was watching her…

[Edited on 10/11/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Mysterious Quest...
on: November 09, 2005 11:41
OOC: Hi everyone and welcome to this thread! Here are the ground rules if you would like to join. Everyone and anyone is welcome within the following guidelines:

1. Please keep this Tolkien related as described in the new post by the moderators. I don’t want this thread closed because it becomes violent or off topic! So please read the guidelines before joining and stick to them!

2. I’m interested in people who enjoy writing and who are going to post more than one or two lines at a time. In fact, the longer the better!

3. I am also interested in people who enjoy reading!!! There is nothing worse than having several people join at once, all contradicting one another in eachother's posts. So please take the time to read what other people have written carefully and make sure that your character and actions fit in with what has already been established!

4. Important plot points:
First of all, none of the objects in Aaricia's posession are magical. The writing on the ring and the map is a form of elvish, and the whistle is simply pitched for elf ears, far higher than a normal human can hear. Aaricia and her betrothed, Thorgal, live in lands far from the elves and have never heard of them except in myths and tall tales. And no one she has yet encountered can read elvish.
I am hoping that Aaricia will encounter an elf or someone who can read elvish in Minas Tirith. Someone who will be able to guide her and perhaps even join her on her quest to find out what happened to Thorgal.

5. What's next in the plot?
I could easily write out an elaborate scripted plot to follow, but my personal preference is to let our collective imagination take this thread wherever it may go. The main plot at this time is Aaricia's quest to find the meaning of the 3 objects in her posession, which should eventually lead her to Thorgal. Whatever characters join the thread should be prepared to work with Aaricia towards that endeavor and not come in with a totally different agenda. Beyond that, I would prefer not to get too specific.

HOWEVER, I would really like for this thread to remain very close to Tolkien's characters and world as he imagined it. In other words, Minas Tirith shouldn't be overrun with myriads of elves, all bursting to help Aaricia! There shouldn't be odd characters like Dickensonian child thieves or rangers with magical powers and talking ferrets anywhere in this thread. And nobody, I repeat nobody, should make their entrance into this thread by leaping suddenly out of a tree!

SO: If your imagination is tickled by the idea of a quest to find out what happened to the lost Thorgal and the meaning of the three strange objects in Aaricia's posession, please join me on my journey and let's have a grand adventure together, shall we?

You can view Aaricia's picture and profile by clicking this link: AARICIA

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 08:20
OOC: Would you mind if I joined? If anything I've posted is not in keeping with what you're looking for, just pm me.

IC: He had ridden for many days south, following the west bank of the mighty Anduin, resting only as needed for his steed, Pindal. He was headed for Minas Tirith on a mission assigned to him by Lord Elrond, messages to be delivered to his daughter, Arwen, and the King as well. It was at the last village he had stopped at that he had heard the elven whistle, which puzzled him greatly. Since the end of the great war, few elves roamed freely in Middle Earth as most had begun the long trek to the Grey Havens, and finally on the long journey to Valinor. He had followed the call of the whistle and thus, seen the maiden who carried it.

“Strange,” he had thought at the time. “Where has she acquired such a thing as she is surely not a kin to the elves.”

He had stopped at a small shop to purchase fruits when he had first heard the piercing call of the small whistle. It had come from another shop a little further down the street. Paying the greengrocer hurriedly for his apples and pears, he had made quick time to the small shop and entered, searching the few people within for any kin of his. Finding none, he began to peruse the items on display, watching from the corner of his eyes for the possessor of the whistle. It was then he noted the young maiden, clutching the small golden whistle, while spread across the counter was a parchment of some sort and lying next to it, a ring. He sidled closer, pretending to look at this item or that while his eyes examined surrepticiously the writings on the parchment, which appeared to be a map of a location he knew only too well. The ring was also elvish, and represented a particular family heraldry. Stranger and stranger, he thought. How came she of these items?

He had followed behind her secretly as she continued her journey, ending up exactly where he himself had been headed…in the White City. Here she had found a smithy, where her horse had been reshod for a lost shoe. He had stood in the shadows watching her movements. Nightfall had come when she left the smithy’s and she began to wander the streets, her eyes searching, most likely for somewhere to stay the night, he thought. Once again, trailing behind her, he watched and waited for her to find an Inn or Boarding house to her satisfaction. He wanted to be certain that she was settled for the night before he headed up to the seventh level and the King’s House to deliver his messages. One thing he knew was that he would be back at whatever Inn the maiden had chosen in the very early hours of the morning.

He wanted to be there to watch over the maiden. For in her innocent searching, she had no idea what she could be unleashing.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 12:40
Stop it! Aaricia told herself firmly. You’re imagining things, girl! And no wonder, she thought: She was just a quiet maiden from a far distant village in the seldom traveled Northern regions. Obviously the sheer size and bustle of Minas Tirith had her unnerved. After all, why would anyone be watching her here, she reasoned. She was a stranger in the city and knew no one within several weeks journey from the Great White City. She was dressed in a simple and well worn belted tunic and clearly didn’t carry anything of great value. So there was no reason she should attract the attention of anyone in the bustling crowd.

And yet…the insidious feeling of being watched persisted, making her glance around nervously. But all she saw were the streets, threatening to overflow with the last minute rush of arrivals just before nightfall. Everyone seemed to have their own destination, lost in their own private worlds as the day drew to a close. Berating herself for her overactive imagination, Aaricia determinedly shook off her incipient paranoia and picked her way across the crowded street towards an inn with an attached stable. “Easy, Fural”, she murmured to the stallion as he pranced nervously in the unaccustomed throng.

Finally, she managed to make her way through the crowd and reached the inn. Glancing up, she saw that the sign above the door read “The Joyful Jug”. Aaricia frowned slightly: After months of travel, she knew from firsthand experience what could happen when the patrons of an inn partook of too much ale. But the idea of braving the throng again to find a different resting place was daunting, and so resolutely led Fural over to the stables to inquire whether there was still room for both of them.

As soon as the stallion’s newly shod hooves sounded on the cobblestones of the alley, a young lad, around eleven or twelve, she thought, with bright red hair and a mass of freckles, appeared and bowed cheerfully before her. “You’ll be wantin’ him fed and watered, eh?” he said without preamble, gesturing to Fural. “Don’t worry, Miss, Me name’s Talin, and I’m the stable boy at the Joyful Jug. I’ll take good care of him. Give him a rubdown too, I will. He’s a fine looking beast!” Aaricia smiled at the boy’s jolly manner, bemused by his ability to chat so naturally with perfect stranger. She herself, had only ever met a handful of strangers until this journey, for few people had reason to travel to the tiny village where she was born and raised. But she supposed this young lad must meet dozens of new people every night. She marveled momentarily at how different his life was from hers. He stood, alert but unhurried, waiting for her to respond, an expectant look on his cheerful face.

“Yes, please,” Aaricia answered, smiling at Talin. “Fural would love a good rubdown.” She reached up and removed the saddlebags, slinging them over her shoulder, before handing the reins to the boy. He took hold of them and clicked to the stallion, leading him into a nearby stall that already had a full manger and water trough. Satisfied that Fural was in good hands, Aaricia turned to walked back up the alley towards the front door of the inn. For a second, she froze, thinking that she had seen a shadow suddenly slip behind the low wall that separated the alley from the larger roadway that led to the higher reaches of the city, and the feeling of being watched came rushing back. I’m so tired, my eyes are playing tricks on me, she told herself firmly. But the lengthening shadows all around her made her pulse race, and reasoning with herself wasn’t working to dispel her fears. She quickened her step and hastily entered the “Joyful Jug”, taking in her surroundings at a glance.

She was pleased to see that most of the patrons of the inn seemed to be partaking in hearty meals, as they crowded around the many wooden tables that seemed to have been set almost haphazardly around the room. A large man was working behind the counter, but he set down the mug he was cleaning when he saw her enter, and came over to greet her. “You’ll be wantin’ a meal and a bed for the night then, eh Miss?” he inquired before she had a chance to speak. Aaricia tried not to laugh: The man’s shock of red hair and freckles were identical to those of Talin’s, and it was clear that the boy had learned his easy going manner from his father. “Yes, that would be wonderful!” Aaricia responded earnestly. The smell of stew made her stomach rumble and she looked forward to a hearty meal after the meager fare she had eaten on the road these last few days.

“Find a seat, and make yourself comfortable then,” the innkeeper said, gesturing at the room. “I’ll be right back with a good home cooked for you. Me wife makes the best stew in Minas Tirith!” he boasted without vanity. Aaricia nodded, smiling, and turned to gaze at the crowded room, wondering where to sit. There were no empty tables, she realized belatedly, which meant that she would have to share a table with one or more strangers. The majority of people in the room appeared to be of the race of men, but she also recognized a pair of dwarfs, a hobbit or two and some other races she couldn’t name. Aaricia stood there, undecided, looking from one table to the next, wondering whom to approach.

(OOC: Welcome Ber! I'm so glad you're joining Aaricia on her quest! Your post is perfect! And wayyyyy cool that you're a moderator now! I added Aaricia's profile to my previous OOC post.

Okay, everyone else, this would be an excellent juncture for someone to join in as one of the denizens of the Jolly Jug inn! So who wants to sit with me, eh?)

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 10, 2005 06:49
OOC: Char is now in DB under name Hossecáno Manveru. And glad to be here)

Manveru had watched carefully as the maiden walked the streets, trailing her horse along side her. When she finally stopped, looking up at the sign hanging over the front door of an Inn, then headed for the adjoining stables, he was relieved in many ways. Having made several trips from Rivendell to Minas Tirith, he had become familiar with the good and the bad in the city. This particular Inn would be one of the good should she choose it for her lodgings. Unlike many of the taverns and inns on the lower level of Minas Tirith, which catered to the ruffians and drunken soldiers, the Joyful Jug was more a family oriented Inn, run by a red-headed man and his wife, aided in their endeavour by 6 equally red-headed children. The inn keeper's wife kept a firm hand, not only on her children but on the patrons of the Inn as well. The elf felt the young lady could not have made a better choice to remain safe for the night.

Still, he felt a need to be certain that the maiden had truly decided to stay here and not just stopped to for a meal. He stood at the gates of the stable debating what he should do next when a red-head bobbed up from the otherside of his horse.

"Talin, my lad, how are you? It has been many months since last we met. How is your family?" he asked the young stable boy.

"Greetings, Manveru. You are sure right about that. It's been a long time since you were here last. And the family's in pretty good shape, if you discount Morin, who won't be sittin' down for a good while. Mum caught him tryin' out pipeweed," he chuckled. "So are ye stayin' with us this trip or up at the big house?"

"I'll be staying with the King and his family, yes, Talin...but it is past the dinner hour and I would not like to impose on them to dredge up a meal for me. I was thinking I'd like a bowl of your Mother's stew before I go up the hill." He smiled at the lad, tousling his hair. "Can I leave Pindal in your trusy hands while I do that. He'd like a good meal and some water, too."

"Why sure you can, Mr. Elf. I'll take good care of him as always. Come on, Pindal...let's go get you some fine oats," he said, as he took the reins and walked off with the steed.

His decision made for him by the unexpected appearance of Talin, Manveru walked into the Inn, his eyes searching for the maiden. He saw her standing hesitantly, gazing at the large room full of tables yet all of them with patrons at hand. His eye caught a movement to the left and he turned to watch one of those patrons gathering his belongings together preparatory to leaving. Manveru took the opportunity which had presented itself and stepped alongside the maiden.

"M'lady, I, like you, have been waiting for a table to free itself and I see that the one next to the window over there has become available. Will you not share the table with me?" he asked, his head bending low to speak to her. "I am well known here, should you be concerned by the invitation of a stranger. My name is........."

"Manveru!!! How good to see you," the innkeeper called out as he approached the tall elf. "Have you come all the way from Rivendell just for some of my wife's stew?"

"Indeed I have, though I have one or two other minor tasks to attend to as well," Manveru chuckled. "I was just asking this young lady if she would be willing to share a table with me, as your dining room is as crowded as always." He turned once more to the maiden, laughing. "As I said, I am well known here. Now...will you not share that table with me?"
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2005 07:04
Intent on scrutinizing the other patrons of the inn, Aaricia didn’t hear the footsteps approaching. So when the stranger spoke suddenly from just behind her, she whirled around to face him, startled.

"M'lady, I, like you, have been waiting for a table to free itself and I see that the one next to the window over there has become available. Will you not share the table with me?"

Aaricia gaped up at him, taking an involuntary step back. The stranger’s voice was pleasant and his words friendly. But she had never seen anyone quite like this…this…whatever he was. She looked more closely, trying to discern some clue that would reveal his origin. He was tall, and muscular like many of the men of her village, but he clearly did not belong to the race of men: His features were chiseled more finely than any she had seen, and the tips of his pointed ears protruded slightly from behind his long, silky black hair. She tried not to stare, knowing she was probably being terribly impolite, but she couldn’t help it! The only beings she had ever seen in her lifetime with ears even close to that, were hobbits, and only a handful of those. And clearly, this being, towering over her as he did, was no Halfling!

As if sensing her discomfiture, the stranger bent closer, and spoke to her in a gentle tone: “I am well known here, should you be concerned by the invitation of a stranger. My name is........."

But he was interrupted by the return of the innkeeper: “Manveru!!!” the large man cried out, clearly delighted by the presence of the tall stranger. The two exchanged pleasantries while Aaricia watched, still openmouthed, unsure of what to do. When the stranger turned to her again and repeated his invitation, she looked to the jolly innkeeper who nodded approvingly and ushered them both to the newly free table. “Manveru is an old friend of the family,” he told her reassuringly. “You’ll be perfectly safe with him.”

Aaricia sat down and tried not to stare at the stranger –what had innkeeper called him? Manveru –as he settled himself on the opposite side of the table. Well, certainly, nothing could happen to her here, in the crowded inn, and under the watchful eye of the innkeeper, Aaricia thought. Remembering her manners, she shyly introduced herself:

“I am Aaricia Liefstal of the Northern territories. And I thank you for sharing this table with me.” She paused, uncertain of what to say next. She was bursting to ask the stranger what race he was, but thought that it might be impolite to do so. On the other hand, she mused, as she gazed at his apparel, he clearly came from a place as distant from Minas Tirith as her own: Although he wore traveling clothes similar to most of the patrons of the inn, his outfit was enhanced by subtle and finely crafted details that made him stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Perhaps, she thought, hope rising in her chest once more, perhaps he could even tell her something about the strange language on the map and the ring! Unconsciously, her hand strayed to the pouch by her side, and she fingered the objects through the well worn leather. She took a breath, trying to think of how to phrase her question, but was belayed by the arrival of a young woman around sixteen or so with a large tray of food. The maiden quickly unloaded two large bowls of the delicious looking stew Aaricia had smelled earlier and placed them carefully on the table, adding a basked of freshly baked bread to share between them, and two mugs of ale. Like everyone else who worked at the inn, she had bright red hair and an easy smile.

“Enjoy your meal!” she grinned, her eyes riveted on Manveru, a slight blush invading her freckled cheeks as he smiled back at her. Clearly, she was very taken with the handsome stranger, Aaricia thought to herself with an indulgent smile, remembering what it was like to be that age. The maiden stood, as if transfixed by the tall stranger, the blush in her cheeks rising all the way to meet her hairline now.

“Adaline!” The innkeeper called from across the room. “Let them eat in peace! Manveru didn’t come all the way from Rivendell for you to stand there and admire him, girl!” He laughed, good naturedly. “Besides, he’s hundreds of years older than ye!” Blushing even more furiously, Adaline rushed abruptly from the dining area through a doorway that led to what Aaricia supposed must be the kitchen.

Had she heard the innkeeper correctly? Hundreds of years? Aaricia frowned in disbelief. Surely that wasn’t possible! But none of the other patrons of the inn, many of whom had overheard the conversation and were chuckling quietly about it, looked at all surprised by the statement that implied Manervu was of such a vast age.

“I…you…” she stammered, finding it impossible to phrase the question delicately: “I mean…what ARE you?”

[Edited on 12/11/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 11, 2005 03:26
Manveru led the young maiden to the table near the window, allowing her to chose her seat and then pulling it out for her. He had to admit he was pleased with her choice as it allowed him to sit with his back to the wall, facing the room, something his past had taught him to do. When they were finally face to face, he was amused as he watched the expressions pass across her face. It was obvious that she had never seen an elf before and didn't quite know what to make of him.

"Well, now you know my name...it's Manveru. But I don't know what to call you. And you are not a Gondorian. Where do you call home?" The tall, handsome elf spoke quietly yet there was a sense of strength underlying all his words, of power.

“I am Aaricia Liefstal of the Northern territories. And I thank you for sharing this table with me.” She paused, seemingly not knowing what to say next nor what to make of him.

She seemed to wish to say something but could not find the words and just as she took a breath in preparation of speech, Adeline, one of the innkeeper's red headed daughters, arrived with a tray, which she set on the edge of the table, unloading bowls of the aromatic stew and a basket of Sophie's, the innkeeper's plump wife, freshly baked bread.

"Enjoy your meal!" she grinned, her eyes riveted on Manveru, a slight blush invading her freckeled cheeks as he smile back at her. He had known the girl since she was born and as long as he had known her, she reacted the same way to his presence. She had what the mortals called a 'crush' on him and thus he was always very gentle and kind to her, not wishing to hurt her feelings.

“Adaline!” The innkeeper called from across the room. “Let them eat in peace! Manervu didn’t come all the way from Rivendell for you to stand there and admire him, girl!” He laughed, good naturedly. “Besides, he’s hundreds of years older than ye!” Blushing even more furiously, Adaline rushed abruptly from the dining area through a doorway that led to what Aaricia supposed must be the kitchen.

He chuckled as the girl ran for the kitchen, blushing all the way, and raised his hand to the innkeeper, smiling his thanks. He turned back to the young lass before him, noting the slight smile that curled her lips, as though recalling the same emotions at one time in her own life. That is, until the innkeeper had made the comment about Manveru's age. Her brow furrowed and she stared at him in disbelief.

“I…you…” she stammered, finding it impossible to phrase the question delicately: “I mean…what ARE you?”

"Perhaps your question should be 'who' am I," he responded, the slight edge of sarcasm softened by the impish grin on his face. "My full name is Hossecáno Manveru. I am an elf from Rivendell...or Imladris, as my people call it...and to answer the question you did not ask, I am a little over 6000 years old. I have been on this earth since long before your race ever existed." He bent his head, his eyes on the food before him as tasted the stew, giving her time to grasp what he had just told her. His looked at her out of the corner of his eyes, smiling as she struggled to understand...and believe.

He lifted his head, brushing a long strand of his black hair off his cheek and tucking it behind his rather obviously pointed ear. When it looked like she was at a loss for words, he changed the subject to her.

"What is a pale haired, blue eyed female doing here in Minas Tirith, so far from home, and alone? Why are you traveling this far south with no company to ride with you? The war is over, but dangerous creatures still roam the land. I am in awe that you got this far unharmed." He tilted his head as he gazed at her, puzzled by her need to travel...and especially to travel with with what she carried in her small pouch. How did a beautiful young girl come by such ancient items that once belonged to the elves, one elf in particular?
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 05:01
“ I’m a little over 6000 years old.” Manveru’s tone was quiet and matter of fact.

Aaricia’s head whirled…SIX thousand? No, wait a minute…six THOUSAND??!!! She looked at him, waiting for him to burst out laughing. But his tone was absolutely serious, and there was no hint of deceit in his large grey-blue eyes. What had he said he was? An elf??? As far as Aaricia knew, elves were the immortal creatures that inhabited bedtime tales for young children. They didn’t really exist…or did they?

She looked anew at Manveru sitting opposite her. He took in her appraising gaze and, rather pointedly, tucked a stray strand of hair behind one of his ears. She couldn’t help but stare at it again. Could he be telling the truth? She had never seen a face like his. His eyes spoke of great wisdom and long experience, reminding her of her great grandfather, but his skin didn’t seem to be marred by so much as a single line. The perfection of his chiseled features was unlike anything she had ever witnessed. Aaricia struggled to fit something she had always thought was merely a tall tale into the realm of what was real. And yet, here was this creature…this…this elf! Sitting here before her, calmly eating stew as if it were the most natural thing in the world. He looked up at her again, this time out of the corner of his eyes.

And Aaricia believed. Suddenly and completely, she knew Manveru was exactly what he claimed to be. The power and intensity of his appraising gaze actually sent shivers down her spine! As if sensing her swirling emotions, the elf smiled gently at her and gracefully changed the subject:

"What is a pale haired, blue eyed female doing here in Minas Tirith, so far from home, and alone? Why are you traveling this far south with no company to ride with you? The war is over, but dangerous creatures still roam the land. I am in awe that you got this far unharmed."

Unharmed? Well…Aaricia half smiled ruefully as she recalled the many terrors of the first few weeks of her expedition. She had been screamed at, cursed, threatened, refused food, robbed, beaten and very nearly raped until she had woken up to the very dangers Manveru was alluding to. Fortunately, her father whose wife had died shortly after giving birth to Aaricia, had treated his only child like a son and had taught her both how to use a sword and the art of archery. There was little use for swordplay in the remote village and she was still somewhat awkward with a blade, but after years of hunting with her bow, she was an accomplished archer. She had escaped several dangerous situations only with her bow in hand and an arrow ready to fly.

As for the “dangerous creatures” abroad, the sad truth was that most of those that she had encountered were in fact of the race of men. Aaricia had quickly learned that a pretty blonde haired and blue eyed stranger immediately attracted the worst possible company in any new village she stopped at. She had started wearing a headscarf to hide her hair, pulling it down around her face to hide her features as well. Her cloak, she soon learned, also served to dissimulate her well proportioned figure. Aaricia sighed. Once more, she felt the heavy burden of her quest in these strange lands so far from home. She looked into Manveru’s eyes and they seemed to change color from blue to gray to green. She decided to trust him.

“You speak the truth,” she responded slowly, still thinking of the perils of her journey. “The road is dangerous for people like me. And I would never have made the journey if I weren’t desperate!” And she told him of her betrothed, Thorgal, his mysterious disappearance and the note he left her. Glancing around the inn to assure herself that no one else was watching, she detached the well-worn pouch from her belt and handed it to Manveru, wondering if he, unlike anyone else she had encountered, would be able to tell her the meaning of the three mysterious objects it contained.

Holding her breath, she watched with great anticipation as he slowly opened the pouch and looked inside.

[Edited on 13/11/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 06:16
Manveru continued eating silently, listening as the maiden poured out her story. When she had come to the end of her tale, he asked quietly, "May I see the objects your Thorgal left with you?"

Glancing around the inn to assure herself that no one else was watching, she detached the well-worn pouch from her belt and handed it to Manveru. He slowly and carefully opened the pouch and looked inside, his long slender fingers reaching in and pulling out one item at a time, laying them on the table in front of him.

He glanced up at her and chuckled, "You can breathe now. Just out of curiosity, why did you not bury them as your man requested of you?" he said, as he began to finger each item, one at a time.

As he picked up the whistle, he held it in his hand while his mind went back in time to when the whistle was first made. It had been a gift from him to his friend when they had both returned from the battles that had ended on the fields of Pellenor. Laying it back on the table, he next looked at the map, unfolding it carefully. He recognized the locations drawn with such care; the river Bruinen, and north and west, Coldfells and the Ettenmoors. Small crosses appeared now and then with no explanation. He puzzled over the map for some time, his thoughts again thinking of his friend. He had known his friend feared something, had hinted of evil beyond belief, but had never told him what that evil was. Now he wished he had pressed the issue. Perhaps his friend would still be alive now.

The last item he looked at the longest, turning it over and over in his hand, sliding it over the tip of his long finger, shuddering from the feel of it, and dropping it back into his palm. It was a gold signet ring, with a great bear, holding a spear and a bow in its paws, carved on its face. What had his friend said? Look for the one who wears the ring of the bear. Was this the ring? And where now was the one who once wore it?

"Manveru!" The voice brought him back to the present, his eyes focussing on the red-headed maid, Adaline. "Sir, will you need anything else, sir? Mother wants me to help her with the dishes but asked me to ask you if you needed anything first." Her blue eyes stared at him with adoration, as if hoping he would indeed ask him for something that would give her a reason for returning to his table. The handsome elf smiled at her and said, "Nothing for me, thank you. But ..." He looked at Aaricia, a questioning look in his eyes. "Would you like anything else, Aaricia?" When she had given her answer to the love-struck Gondorian maid, he took a breath and began to talk.

"These items belonged to one of the closest friends I've ever had. He was slain in the forest north of Rivendell." Here, he hesitated for a moment, not knowing quite how to put what he needed to say. "His wife....she heard the whistle, this whistle, and followed its sound until she found him." Lowering his head, saddened by what he had to tell her, he continued. "She told me that standing over him, holding his whistle, his hands covered with the blood of her mate, was a mortal...a mortal who mounted his horse still carrying the whistle in his hand along with some piece of parchment, and rode off to the west. In her pain and desolation, she screamed a curse on him and his heirs, one that would last 100 generations to come." He lifted his eyes to meet hers, sorrow and deep loss shining in his own. "These are the objects that were missing, these the ones carried away by the mortal. The mortal who more and more sounds like your Thorgal." He hesitated once again, then reaching out to touch her hand, he asked her, "Would your Thorgal have reason to slay one of the elf-kind? In your heart, do you think he could, or would?"
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2005 11:53
Ooc: Hi, is their any room for me to join? If not, then you can just write this out or delete it.

Ic: "The Joyful Jug." Enya read the name out loud as she stopped in front of the inn. "Hah! Nothing joyful about places like this."
From behind her, there came a whinny of agreament as her black stallion, Daeroch, stamped impatiently and tried to move off. Enya yanked on the reins to halt the animal's departure.
"No, we are going to stay here for a little while."
Daeroch snorted and reared back, trying to pull the reins from Enya's grasp. The woman turned and glared at the animal.
"We will only stay for a few hours. Do not look at me like that; I do not want to stay here anymore than you do, but I have no choice. There is nowhere else close by and I need to rest for a bit."
"Will you be wantin' to rest here miss?" A sudden voice came from her right.
Enya looked down at the owner of the voice; a small boy no older than eleven, with a shock of bright red hair and a cute face that was full of freckles.
"Perhaps." Enya said slowly, absent mindedly twirling a lock of her honey colored hair.
"Oh, you should, miss! It's the best place around and my mother makes the best stew." The boy said proudly.
I doubt that. Enya thought, a bright smile tugging at her lips.
"And I can take care of your horse. Get him cleaned and fed, and all that. You have nothin' to worry about, my name is Talin, and I take good care of the horses here" The boy continued, without even pausing to take a breath.
"Alright, alright!" Enya said quickly, trying hard to suppress a laugh. "I will stay here."
She grabbed the saddlebag and handed the reins to the boy. Daeroch pressed its ears flat against its head and bared its teeth at the boy, who backed up a bit.
Enya sighed. "Just show him some food." She said patiently. "Then he will follow you like a kitten."
The boy nodded and went to retrieve some oats. Enya glowered at the stubborn animal, as she pulled her black cloak out of the saddlebag. She drew the cloak about her shoulders and pulled her tangled hair back into a ponytail. The boy returned sooner than she thought, oats in hand. Daeroch sniffed them experimentaly, then obediently followed the boy into the stable.
Enya took a deep breath, then walked into the inn. It was not as bad as she had expected. Sure the smell of smoke and ale was strong, but not as bad as some of the other places she had been.
Perhaps this is one of better repute she thought, as she searched for an empty table. Unfortunately, the inn was quite crowded and every table had at least one occupant.
The sound of approaching footsteps placed all thoughts of a seat out of her mind as she turned to face the stranger. He was a large man, that much she had surmised by the sound of his heavy footfalls. He was also, quite obviously, the stable boy's father; the bright red hair and numerous freckles gave that away rather quickly.
"Will you be wantin' a meal and bed miss?" The man said cheerfully, but with an edge of suspicion in his voice.
"A meal, yes. A bed, no. I will not be staying the night" Enya said coolly, brushing off the man's guarded tone. He was a simple man, she decided, probably superstitious and given to believing wild tales. He would probably assume that anyone who entered his inn dressed entirely in black was somehow in the service of evil.
"Very good." The innkeeper said, "Find yourself a seat and food will be brought to you."
Wordlessly, Enya nodded and again glanced around for the best place to sit. She decided to try one of the tables near the window. But which one? The one closest to the window was occupied by two people, judging by the sound of the voices, a woman and an Elf. Another was occupied by several men talking and laughing loudly. The third was occupied by two men, talking quietly amongst themselves.
After a moment's thought she strode over to the third table. They would be the easiest to get rid of, since they apparently did not want their conversation to be overheard.
She was just passing the table with the woman and the Elf, when the Elf's words caught her off guard.
"Would your Thorgal have reason to slay one of the elf-kind? In your heart, do you think he could, or would?"
Enya hesitated in front of their table for a moment, suddenly wondering what their conversation had been about. An Elf killer?
She continued on toward the table she wanted, without pause; any longer hesitation would have probably garnered the Elf's unwanted attention.
"Is this seat taken?" She asked, when she had approached the man's table. Both men jumped at the sound of her voice. They looked up at her, annoyed.
"Well..." One of the men started.
"I did not think so." Enya interrupted coldly, as she quickly took a seat.
The man she had interrupted, now glared openly at her.
"Now wait just a minute, you can't just do that!"
"Why not?" Enya said, her voice quiet, but with an edge.
"My friend and I were having a very private conversation here."
Enya snorted in a very unladylike fashion. "Not really, I could hear it across the room."
"Wha... no you could..."
"And" Enya said quickly, stopping the man with an upraised hand. "I might add that your plan to cheat your employer will not work. At least not the way you suggested."
The man's mouth fell open. "Why you lying rat!" He sputtered, angrily.
"Is there a problem?" The innkeeper said, having heard the man's raised voice as he approached, carrying a tray of food and ale.
"No, of course not!" The other man said, with forced enthusiasm, standing up and giving the innkeeper a friendly slap on the back. "My friend has just had a bit too much to drink. No, don't worry, he won't start a fight. We were just leaving."
The two men quickly gathered up their belongings and left the inn, after throwing parting glares at Enya. The action was not lost to the innkeeper.
"Now see here miss, you can't just go around scarin' off my customers like that." He said, as he set the tray down.
Enya narrowed her eyes at the man. "Thank you." She said darkly, her voice deadly quiet. "I do not require anything alse at the moment."
It was clearly a dismissel. The innkeeper shifted uncomfortably as the sapphire orbs narrowed down to dangerous slits. He nodded once, then hurried off quickly back into the kitchen, glad to be away from the woman's icy gaze; He hated having customers like that.
After the innkeeper had left, Enya settled back to enjoy her food, and,though she kept her eyes turned downward, she kept her ears open, hoping to catch more of the conversation going on between the woman and the Elf.

GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2005 10:55
Aaricia watched with great anticipation as Manveru pulled each object out of the pouch in turn and looked over it carefully. She couldn’t read the play of emotions on his ageless face, but when he fingered the signet ring, she thought she saw him shudder briefly. The elf replaced each item carefully and returned the pouch to her before speaking.

Aaricia listened avidly, at first, but then with increasing horror, as the elf described one of his kind, ruthlessly slain and found in the arms of a mortal man –possibly Thorgal?

“No!” she cried out sharply in response to his question: “Thorgal has never killed anyone in his life! He is a simple man: A carpenter, not a warrior. He would never slay another living being! Either the man you speak of was not Thorgal, or else there is some great misunderstanding. For I tell you, he cannot be the murderer!”

Calming down slightly, Aaricia realized that people around the inn were staring at them, their attention attracted by her sudden outburst. A few tables away, a woman who had entered the inn a few moments before, peered at her curiously from behind a mug of ale, her sapphire eyes narrowed in concentration. Aaricia had been vaguely aware of some kind of disturbance involving the woman, which had precipitated the departure of that table’s two previous occupants, but she had been too immersed in Manveru’s tale to pay much attention. Now taking in the stranger’s rough appearance and her obvious interest in their conversation, Aarcia, bent low over the table and spoke in a near whisper so that only the elf could hear.

“I tell you, the killer is not Thorgal. I would stake my own life on that,” she said with great conviction. “However I will agree that it certainly sounds like he is involved somehow in the tale you just told me. How else could he have come into possession of your friend’s whistle? Perhaps he came upon your slain friend and was mistaken by his wife for the true murderer?” She frowned, thinking of her betrothed, mistaken for a murderer and him and his heirs cursed for 100 generations. “But that still does not explain the meaning of the map and the signet ring. I take it you have not seen either one before in your friend’s possession? Do either one mean anything to you?”

(OOC: Welcome, Elf Princess, and thanks for joining in. I'm going to PM you as soon as I post this to bring you up to date on the plot. )

[Edited on 13/11/2005 by GwennethSindalúnë]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 13, 2005 05:42
“No!” she cried out sharply in response to his question: “Thorgal has never killed anyone in his life! He is a simple man: A carpenter, not a warrior. He would never slay another living being! Either the man you speak of was not Thorgal, or else there is some great misunderstanding. For I tell you, he cannot be the murderer!”

He should have expected such an emotional response and cursed himself for not speaking of these issues in a place more private. Who knew who might hear her words and make something of them. "M'lady, please, I understand but not all here may do the same. I needed to ask, because I needed to know." He touched her hand lightly to calm her. Aarcia bent low over the table and spoke in a near whisper so that only the elf could hear.

“I tell you, the killer is not Thorgal. I would stake my own life on that,” she said with great conviction. “However I will agree that it certainly sounds like he is involved somehow in the tale you just told me. How else could he have come into possession of your friend’s whistle? Perhaps he came upon your slain friend and was mistaken by his wife for the true murderer?” She frowned, “But that still does not explain the meaning of the map and the signet ring. I take it you have not seen either one before in your friend’s possession? Do either one mean anything to you?”

"No, I have not seen either of them. But I know something of their significance," he said in a voice barely above a whisper, leaning close to Aaricia, for he too had seen the woman in black and had noticed her extreme interest in that which did not concern her. "My friend, whose name was Caladon, told me on several occasions that if anything ever happened to him, I was to look for his map and also to look for the one who wore the ring of the bear. When he was gone, I searched for the map but never found it. In your pouch, I believe, you carry the very map he spoke of, though what it means is unknown to me. And you also carry the ring of the bear. What concerns me most is where now is the owner of that ring? How did it come to be in Thorgal's hand?" His eyes searched Aaricia's, "These are questions that not only you would like answered. I too would deem it necessary to find the answers to these puzzles myself."

He leaned back in his seat, surveying the patrons of the Inn, searching as though he almost expected the wearer of the bear ring to be sitting somewhere in the room. "Aaricia, are you planning to stay here tonight?" Leaning closer suddenly, his voice dropped again. "I think that would be a good idea. The Innkeeper and his family are good folk and I can ask them to watch over you until morning." He realized he was probably instilling fear in her but it was exactly what he wanted to do. She could not realize the danger inherent in the three items in her small bag.

"I have business with the King this night. But it is merely the delivery of messages. By morning, I will be on my way home again. I would like you to travel with me. I would like to help you solve this puzzle, if you would allow it. And my instinct tells me that it we will not find the answer in Minas Tirith but in the woods north of Rivendell."

Leaning back again, he called to the innkeeper. "Bolin, my good man, your service, please." When the innkeeper stood next to their table, Manveru pulled him down and whispered something in his ear. Bolin stood and glanced at Aaricia for a brief moment, then nodded at the Elf. "At your service, Manveru. Anything for an old customer...and friend," he grinned. Turning, he trotted off to the kitchen, grabbing Adaline's arm as he did so, talking in her ear.

"M'lady, I will leave you now in Bolin's care. Shall we meet here in the morning for breakfast?"
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2005 08:25
"No!" The woman cried out sharply.
Enya started suddenly; she had not been expecting that.
“Thorgal has never killed anyone in his life! He is a simple man: A carpenter, not a warrior. He would never slay another living being! Either the man you speak of was not Thorgal, or else there is some great misunderstanding. For I tell you, he cannot be the murderer!”
Enya sat back and frowned. Who was this Thorgal, and what had he done to be accused of murder?
She bit her lower lip and scowled,puzzeling it over in her mind. She didn't know why she was so curious, after the woman's business was none of her concern really, but still... Enya jerked slightly and mentally cursed herself when she realized she had been staring... and they had obviously noticed, for they were now speaking in hushed voices; for all the good that would do them. She should be more careful. She closed her eyes for a moment, wondering why she was even staring in the first place, after all she couldn't see them, they were too far away. Simply a natural thing to do, she supposed.
When she opened her eyes again, all traces of curiosity were gone. In fact, all traces of any thoughts or emotions were gone; hidden completely from sight by a stoic mask of indifference.
Hide everything. She recalled to mind her teacher's words. Whatever thoughts are in your mind, must be hidden away. Everyone must always think you are indifferent to everything.
Enya drew her hood over her head, effectively obscuring most of her face from sight. She closed her eyes and leaned back in her seat, giving the appearance of one who is resting, but she heard every word spoken.
Even as they whispered, their words reached her ears as clearly as if they had be speaking directly to her.
“I tell you, the killer is not Thorgal. I would stake my own life on that,” The woman said fervently.
A ghost of a smile flicked across Enya's lips, then dissappeared. You would stake your own life on this man? Ah what foolish things people will do for love. Poor girl, she has no idea what she has gotten herself into. How long, girl, will you search for this Thorgal? Until you are old and gray, and just beginning to realize you have wasted your life in a hopeless pursuit? Or perhaps when you do find him, and realize he is no longer the one you knew?
Bitter, Enya? Unhappy at the thought that someone who has lost a loved one might get him back? Her own thought suprised her.
"No," She argued with herself, I simply do not like seeing people get their hopes up.
Perhaps you should help her then. I do recall another woman,long ago, who searched many a month, desperate to find the one she loved.
Yes, Enya thought bitterly, And a wasted effort it was.
Did it not bring you some measure of comfort when you found him?
Nay,I found only the cold steel of the Witch- king's blade. She thought, subconciously reaching over with her right hand, to touch the scar that ran from her wrist to the middle of her left arm.
"Aaricia, are you planning to stay here tonight?" The Elf's voice brought her out of the past and back to the present.
Aaricia, so, she now had a name to go with the voice.
Enya sighed, and took another sip of her ale. So, the woman was apparently going to stay the night, the Elf was going to see the King, then, if the woman agreed, they would head to Rivendell.
Rivendell. She had not been there in a long while. Hmmm... perhaps it was high time she went to visit the son's of Elrond. That at least would be her excuse if she needed to explain herself.
Heavy footfalls again. The innkeeper was approaching their table, in responce to the Elf's call. She was just beginning to listen to what the Elf was saying to the man, when, from her left, a large group of men, swaying and laughing drunkenly, passed by her table on their way out. One of them stumbled as he passed, falling face first onto the table, and tipping over Enya's mug of ale. She scooted quickly out of the way before any of the liquid could spill onto her dress. The man who had fallen simply staggered to his feet again and continued on, oblivious to the mess he had caused.
Enya sat for a moment without moving, watching the spilled ale drip from the table to the floor. The innkeeper had already headed off into the kitchen; she had missed everything the Elf had said. She growled in frustration.
"M'lady, I will leave you now in Bolin's care. Shall we meet here in the morning for breakfast?"
Hmmm...perhaps she would need a room here after all.

GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 14, 2005 09:46
Aaricia frowned, considering the elf's offer. The thought of traveling even farther from her home distressed her. But on the other hand, Manveru was the first person she had met on her journey to date who had been able to tell her anything relevant to her quest. Despite his exotic appearance and the the fact that he was the first of his race she had ever met, she realized that she trusted him. There was something in his eyes -a deep kindness and understanding- that made her willing to put her very life in his hands.

"Very well," she said, thinking hard. "I will accompany you back to Rivendell. If what you say is true, Thorgal must have returned to that area, and it is the most likely place for me to hunt for him." She sighed, thinking of the long journey ahead and how little money she had left. She hoped fervently that Manveru wasn't accustomed to staying in fancy inns every night along the way! She was a simple healer who all too frequently refused payment for her services. ButManveru was an elf and one accustomed to the better things in life, she thought. After all, he was going to sleep in the palace tonight! Aaricia couldn't even imagine what the inside of that must look like! Gold and silver floors? Silk everywhere? Her imagination ran wild, and, embarrassed, she decided not to broach the subject until she was down to her very last penny.

"Breakfast tomorrow then. Shortly after dawn?" she inquired. "I will meet you here" She yawned and stretched, pulling herself up from the table. "I have journeyed long today, and I think I will avail myself of the inkeeper's hospitality now. Thank you, Manveru, for telling me the truth about your friend and his death. I think it was the first step to reuniting me with Thorgal.

Before she had thought about it, Aaricia inclined her head respectfully as was customary in the Northern villages: It indicated respect for one's elders. She grinned to herself at the thought: Manveru certainly was her elder...by several thousand years! She held back a chuckle. A few hours ago, she would have thought that having dinner with an elf was something out of a tall tale! No one was ever going to believe her when she returned home!

Turning to leave, a sudden thought struck her, and Aaricia turn back to face Manveru.

"It's too bad," she said, pulling the small golden rod from the pouch, "that your friend's whistle is broken. Perhaps it happened during the fight." And, impusively, Aaricia put the tip of it to her lips and blew as hard as she could to demonstrate that it made no sound whatsoever.

Nothing in the world could have prepared her for the reaction of both Manveru and the strange woman in the next few seconds...
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 15, 2005 09:18
(OOC: I don't know what Northern villages Aaricia is from but Rivendell is in the North; shouldn't this venture actually lead her closer to home? Or does she simply not know where Rivendell is?)

Their plans made for meeting here at the tavern early the next morning, Manveru stood, gathering his bag in preparation of leaving. When he had whispered in Bolin's ear, he had arranged to take care of the cost of the meal, and without Aaricia's knowledge, the cost of her room as well. It would cut his funds down a bit, but he wondered how the maiden had made it this far on what she had brought with her. Most certainly, she was from a small town and was not likely to be carrying a great deal of coins of her own. Her devotion and trust in her Thorgal was the deciding point for him; the man could not be what he seemed to be at first glance and still carry that much faith in another. His mind was laying out the journey back, the places to stay and find supplies, when Aaricia was suddenly in front of him.

"It's too bad," she said, pulling the small golden rod from the pouch, "that your friend's whistle is broken. Perhaps it happened during the fight." And, impusively, Aaricia put the tip of it to her lips and blew as hard as she could to demonstrate that it made no sound whatsoever.

Manveru's hands clapped over his ears, his eyes squeezed shut and his face in a grimace. Releasing one of his hands, he used it to pull on her wrist, wrenching the whistle from her mouth. Shaking his head slightly, he tried to smile at her, though with obvious difficulty. "The whistle is certainly not broken, child. It is working exactly as it should." Gazing at her puzzled expression, and the ringing in his ears passing, his smile became broader. "It is an elf whistle, unheard by mortal ears. But for me, it is deafening, especially here inside an enclosed space. Now, put it away for the time being You'll have every elf within miles of this city convening here to find out what the emergency is all about. I would not doubt that the Queen herself may have heard it and is wondering." He closed her hand around it and handed her her pouch. He laughed gleefully, his hand on her shoulder. "And I will have to explain it's presence to her in a few moments. Tsk tsk. This should be a very interesting visit to the King and Queen. Now, I'm off. I will meet you here in the morning, yes?"

Manveru reached the Citadel a short while later and went immediately to the King's house, greeting the guards who were familiar with his comings and goings and waved him in. Once inside, he was about to ask to be received by the King when Aragorn was suddenly there in front of him. "Manveru, mae govannon, mellon nín. Have you come to explain the warning call my wife has so recently heard?" The two walked side by side to the King's personal quarters, where Arwen was sitting, her fingers busy with a piece of embroidery. Glancing up as Manveru entered, her beautiful smile greeted him. "Welcome, Manveru. It is always good to see someone from home. Brought you letters from my father and brothers? How are they?" As she was speaking, a servant was taking Manveru's cloak and bag while another was settling him on a cushioned bench and setting a decanter and a glass at his side. Only when all the servants had left the room did Arwen face him directly. "Can you explain the call of the whistle that I heard?," she asked.

Manveru told the King and Queen the sad story he had only so recently heard, noting that Arwen was familiar with Caladon's name as she commented on her sadness to hear of his passing. "And you believe there may have been a mistake in judging him, this young man?" He answered her with a nod of his head. Aragorn, who had listened quietly to the whole story, spoke finally.

"When I was still in the north country, I had heard of the unexplained disappearances of many elves and men. Would that I had had time to investigate but....well, other more pressing issues were taking place then." He smiled faintly as they all took a moment to recall the recent events that had made Aragorn King. "But even then, I had heard rumors of the wearer of the ring of the bear. Manveru, if you wish to follow up on the trail of this stranger, you will have my full support. Tell me what you need. And I will write to Elrond as well....carry my letter to him and I am certain he too will support your search."

The rest of the evening turned to talk of family and friends and Manveru went to his room late in the night. He was up at dawn and entering the Inn once again as the sun broke over the Ephel Duáth, waiting for Aaricia to join him.
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 12:19
Enya listened carefully as Aaricia stood up to leave. She would wait until they had both left before informing the innkeeper of her decision to stay the night after all. No need to arouse more suspicion from them; especially the Elf.
"It's too bad that your friend's whistle is broken. Perhaps it happened during the fight."
Enya almost laughed, What in the world would anyone want with a bro...
She never had the chance to finish the thought, for, at that moment, Aaricia decided to demonstrate just how broken the whistle was.
Enya nearly fell out of her seat, as she clapped her hands over her ears.
"Ai, by the Valar!" She cried, unable to stop herself.
It was unfair really. Enya had been taught to never show when she was in pain. In fact, it was one of the things that had been stressed by her instructors, but when she was taught, the blows had always been expected, she had always had time to steel herself against it. Even torture at the hands of orcs and other vile creatures, she had usually been able to prepare herself. But this was unexpected.
The sound emitted by the "broken" whistle was clear and piercing, and yet, at the same time, sweet and melodic. Which was an interesting thing for Enya; to be in pain and enchanted at the same time.
She looked up, her ears still ringing, to realize that people were staring at her on account of her rather unexpected outburst. The Elf, it seemed, was the only one who was not staring at her; obviously he had heard the whistle as well and was too preoccupied with his own discomfort to notice.
Well, she definitely wasn't going to stay here now!
She stood up, a bit unsteadily, her mind still reeling from the unexpected assault on her ears.
From somewhere in the room, someone made a comment to the extent of, "Looks like someone's had a bit too much to drink," as Enya left the inn. She didn't even bother to glare at Aaricia as she passed her on the way out.
She walked quickly to the stables, only vaguely aware that she had not paid her bill. Talin was brushing down one of the horses as she entered, but stopped what he was doing when he saw her.
"Will you be wantin' your horse then, miss? He asked.
"No... no, I want to stable him here tonight." She replied, reaching into her saddlebag and pulling out a small coin purse.
"Here," she said, handing his several coins, "take these and give them to your father. I was in a bit of a hurry and forgot to pay when I left."
Talin nodded and went into the inn to give the money to his father. Enya waited until he left, then turned and spoke to Daeroch, who was snorting and stamping impatiently.
"Make yourself comfortable," She growled, feeling the beginnings of a headache. "You are staying here for the night."
Then she left, making her way quickly towards the Citadel. When she finaly arrived, her head was throbbing unmercifully. She listened, from the shadows, as the guards allowed someone to pass into the King's house.
It was the Elf from the inn.
Enya was surprised that he was there, until she remembered him telling Aaricia that he had business with the King.
Hmmm.... this does complicate things She thought, as she watched the Elf.
She didn't want him to think she was following him, and decide to bring it up with the King. Aragorn questioning her as to what she was doing, poking her nose into other people's business, was not something she wanted to deal with. It would require an explanation that she didn't have.
The Elf had already passed into the house, when Enya slipped from the shadows and started inside as well, only to be stopped by the guards. from inside, she could hear Aragorn's voice.
"Manveru, mae govannon, mellon nín. Have you come to explain the warning call my wife has so recently heard?"
Arwen heard the whistle as well?

"What business have you here?" The guard who had stopped her demanded, unable to see her face, which was concealed by the hood of her cloak.
"What business I have here, is not your concern, Handir."
The guard laughed, recognizing her voice. "Madam, I would not ask such questions, if you would announce yourself properly."
"Perhaps not, but you know me know, kindly let me pass."
The guard nodded, and Enya entered cautiously, ever on the alert for the Elf.
Probably speaking with Aragorn right now.
"Ah, Enya!" A voice called.
Enya didn't turn around. "Good evening, Lord Faramir."
Faramir laughed. " Why so formal tonight?"
"Tonight has not been a good night for me. Formality reminds me that I must not lose my temper." Enya said, turning around to face the man.
"Ah, I see. So I must watch what I say, lest I make you forget."
"Indeed, you speak the truth."
"Very well, I will be kind. What brings you to Minas Tirith tonight? Have you business with the King?"
Enya shook her head "Nay, I only require a room for the night."
Faramir raised his eyebrow in question. "Only for one night? That is most unusual; it is not like you to come all the way into the city for just one night. Are you alright?"
Enya narrowed her eyes. "You ask too many questions."
"Alright, alright." Faramir said, trying, and failing, to keep a smile off of his face. "I do not mean to pry, but this is most unusual for you."
"This entire day has been no different."
"What has happened?"
Enya hesitated, fishing around for the right words. "Nothing that I wish to speak of now." She said.
"Is there nothing..." Faramir said.
Enya held up a hand to stop him.
"If you have finished your interrogation," She interrupted, "then I shall retire for the night." She had not meant to sound so harsh, but her head ached terribly.
Faramir's smile disappeared, "As you wish, Enya. I will have a servant direct you to an empty guest room."
"Thank you."
Faramir paused for a moment, "You will not explain to me why you are acting so strange?"
"When I have an explanation for you, I will tell you." She answered truthfully. Indead, she could not explain what was wrong with her.Certainly, she could explain the reason she had entered the inn in the first place, but why was she so curious about about people she didn't even know?
This question she puzzled over, even as the servant lead her to her room. When she finally fell asleep, she thought had come up with at least a temporary answer; she was concerned about finding the Elf killer, and making sure he was brought to justice. It would suffice, for now.

She rose before the dawn, as was her custom, and quickly splashed some cold water onto her face, before she dressed and began her morning meditations and exercises.
The servants were just beginning their morning duties, as she slipped from the palace and headed back to the inn.
"Good morning, miss." Talin's bright cheery voice greeted her, as she approached the stables of the Joyful Jug.
Enya smiled down at the boy, "A good morning to you, young man. Tell me, has my stubborn horse been behaving himself?"
Talin laughed, "A fine animal he is, to be sure, but he's very impatient today."
"Aye, you must have awoken him early. But we leave today, so he will no longer trouble you."
"No trouble at all, miss." Talin said earnestly. "I will have him ready for you, when you wish to leave."
Enya thanked him, and left the stables.
Manveru was already there when she entered, waiting for Aaricia. Enya kept her focus away from the Elf, selecting a seat on the opposite end of the room from where the Elf was sitting, and waited for Aaricia to arrive.

Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 09:44
Earwen awoke with a start. She could still smell the smoke… Again a dream of a time long gone. They had been bothering her more and more lately. Earwen sat up and put some more wood on the fire. She had been traveling for a long time now. For some reason she was just as lost as Maglor. Sometimes she wondered if was he still roaming the coast, singing his sad songs or if he had finally taken a ship – or if he had done something to end his life, although that was not likely. Earwen sighed. She herself should have taken a ship a long time ago and it had been more than once that she had visited Cirdan and the Grey Havens and then could not board the ship. Ships had once been something beautiful and amazing to her. Back in Aqualonde – thousands of years ago – she had watched her father and her brothers and the beautiful Swan ships. They had been so majestic – nothing like the ships Cirdan built. He was a very good shipwright, but nothing could rival the Swan ships of the Teleri… Thinking back like that she could see her father again – proud he had been, proud and beautiful and so loving. He had always said she reminded him of her mother. Her brothers had been just like him, except for one. Arapen , a noble spirit, like his name, he had been different – not interested in shipbuilding, but in poetry and music and in beautiful things. A pity it all had to end like it did. When she thought back on the massacre now, there were no tears she shed, not anymore. This and the burning of the ships had caused her nightmares for years and she had shed many a tear about it, but now there was only dull pain when she thought back on it.

She had been very young then and very, very afraid. Her father’s ship had seemed such a good idea. She had wanted to hide until everything was over and then, the ships had taken her away – away from her home, away from her loved ones to this strange place where she had lived ever since. She had not even know whether all her family had died, although as she had heard later, there had been no survivors. The thought that had disturbed her most had been of Arapen, who had loved beauty above all and who could not hurt anyone or anything being forced to fight and seeing ugly death all around him until he, too had died. She had often wondered if he had been in much pain or if, as she hoped, it had been quick for him. Her father and her other brothers had fought bravely, no doubt and died heroes' deaths. They had been sailors and fighters – but what good had it done?

Earwen remembered the moment she had realized that the ship was moving and the hard weeks that followed. She had hid in the storage room, in a small chamber, designed to hide in case of an attack. But food had been her problem and finally she had not been able to contain her hunger. She had risked much, everytime she had sneaked out to get some food or something to drink…
She stared into the fire, reliving her past. This had not happened to her in a while, but there were nights that everything came back to her.

When the ships had landed in Middle Earth she had been discovered. Feanor had wanted to dispose of her, but Maglor had stepped in and taken her under his wings. He had reminded her a lot of Arapen, especially his eyes. And as she later found out, he had the soul of a poet – a beautiful voice to go with it and a gentle heart. She had seen the pain in his eyes, pain that she knew had to come of the things he’d seen and not agreed with. He had been very loyal, to his father and his brothers, but he had never agreed with what they had done in Aqualonde and this was what had first made her trust him. He had taken care of her when she was still full of grief, when she had had to stand by and watch the ships, her fathers ship among them, burn and her hope go up into flames. She had been so young and so lost. The first years she had just done what he said and she had not moved from his side. She had taken care of him, as he had taken care of her… and then one night, they had shared everything.

She had known then that she would not leave him. He was the only thing that was left to her and she had fallen in love with him – in love maybe with the only living being that was a connection to her past, because he reminded her of Arapen – her favorite brother for whom she had grieved the most. Had she known about the oath and the consequences she might not have gone with him, but stayed with the Sindar they met shortly after they had landed on shore.

Earwen had gone with Maglor, deciding that this would be a new start. She had to forget about her family and concentrate on this, her new family. She managed to get along with Maedhros, but Maglor’s other brothers and especially his father Feanor were a problem. They eyed her with suspicion and would surely have killed her hat some point had it not been for Maglor. Things turned to the better after they had settled down in Beleriand. Although there were many dangerous situations, for Morgoth did never sleep, they managed to lead a somewhat normal life. Her sons had been born during those years. Happy years they had been to her.

With a smile she remembered holding her fist son in her arms. Arapen she had named him and caused some huge discussions among the sons of Feanor. Maglor, however had just smiled – he had been proud of his son. Happy years, indeed – she had watched her sons grow and she had seen Maglor, being content, maybe being even happy....but then disaster had struck. The Dagor Bragollach had cost her much. Her happiness for one thing, or at least she had thought so at that time. – and her sons…

Earwen shook her head violently. She did not want to think of the death of her sons. And yet, the images came back – their bodies – full of blood. The pain in her chest grew stronger and some tears fell down her face. Her children – she had grieved and grieved. And this time Maglor had not been there. No doubt he had grieved, too in his way. But his heart had turned to stone. The oath was all that was left to him it seemed and so he went away, in search of the cursed Silmarils, which could only cause more pain and death. She had not been able to hold him back. There could have been a chance to some more happiness. She had been pregnant when he left, begging him to start over, for both their sakes – and for the sake of their unborn child. She then had had to realize that he did not love her enough to stay. This had been too much for her and one dreadful night, not long afterwards – her daughter had been born. The still white body had been very small. And there had been no life in her. Alone she had buried the baby next to her sons, asking them to take care of their little sister.

She herself had returned to the sea. The only thing able to give her some comfort. She had stayed in the Grey Havens for a while, always wanting to take a ship, but never finding the final courage to do so. With the years, the grief had lessoned, she had learned to live again. And finally, after a very long time, she had left the Grey Havens to wonder around in Middle Earth. She had met many of her kin, stayed with them and with time she had changed. She had become used to life in the wilderness. She had learned how to fight and how to take care of herself. But she had never loved again!

Earwen had seen and often been in the battles for Middle Earth. Now that Sauron had been defeated she had taken to staying in the wild again – alone with her past and at a loss what to do… she had been toying with the thought of going back to the Grey Havens … the urge was getting stronger, but she also had a feeling to still be needed here. She could not explain why, but now was not the time to leave Middle Earth.

And then she heard it. A shrill, piercing sound of a whistle. A whistle used for emergencies, frequenced so that only elves could hear it. This she was sure had been Caladon’s whistle. She had been in Imladris on the dreadful day she had heard the whistle last. And she had felt with her friend, Caladon’s wife, who had found him dead outside of Imladris in the woods. Quickly she put out the fire and gathered her things. She readied her horse and with a certainty only an elf could have she followed the sound of the whistle – to Minas Tirith and to an inn. If she could find the one who had done this to Caladon, she would drag him back to Imladris and hand him over to his wife, to do with him what she pleased. That would be a great satisfaction.

After having ridden through most of the night, she dismounted and hurried into the inn, just to see a familiar face. Manveru stood in the middle of the inn, talking to a human woman. Slowly Earwen approached.

[ooc: hope this will do for an introductory post – Gwenneth, if there is anything you think I should change, I’ll be more than glad to edit… bereth, I hope I gave you enough to go on with… And glad to be here everyone!]

[Edited on 26/11/2005 by Liswen]
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 07:02
(OOC: Welcome Liswen! What a great post! I'm so glad you're joining us! Bereth had already written that Manveru joined Aaricia in the morning, so I'm just going to write this post as if Earwen is approaching us that morning, rather than the night before so we can move the story along, okay? Hope that makes sense! Bereth, you're right: Aaricia has never heard of Rivendell because she never even knew elves existed until she met Manveru. So she has no idea of its location.)

Aaricia was startled by the look of pain that crossed Manveru's face when she blew the whistle. What could be causing it, she wondered, even as she still blew into it. But, in the next instant, the elf had caught her wrist and wrenched her hand from her mouth, faster than any human could have moved. "The whistle is certainly not broken, child. It is working exactly as it should." he said vehemently. "It is an elf whistle, unheard by mortal ears. But for me, it is deafening, especially here inside an enclosed space. Now, put it away for the time being You'll have every elf within miles of this city convening here to find out what the emergency is all about. I would not doubt that the Queen herself may have heard it and is wondering."

Aaricia gaped at him, and put the whistle away, as she was bid. An elven whistle? How strange that she couldn't hear so much as a single sound from it, she thought. She had blown upon it with all her might and heard nothing more than the air passing through it. And neither did anyone else apparently: She gazed around the room and saw that no one else seemed to have been disturbed in the slightest. Except...except the woman she had noticed earlier who had seemed so interested in their conversation. Aaricia frowned, staring at the woman's ears: She was clearly human, so how could she have heard the whistle? Shrugging off her many questions, Aaricia yawned and wished Manveru a good night before retiring to her suprisingly comfortable room above the dining hall. She took a long time to fall asleep, mulling over the events of the evening. For the first time in months she finally had a lead as to where Thorgal might have gone and why. But the story Manveru had told her was disturbing and she worried about what would happen to Thorgal, now that he was accused as an elf-slayer. What would happen to him if the elves caught him? What system of justice did they use? Aaricia resolved to ask Manveru in the morning. Finally, exhausted, she drifted off to sleep, dreaming of strange far away forests and elves.

In the morning, Aaricia awoke at dawn and treated herself to the rare luxury of a hot bath. It had been a while before she had been able to do more than bathe quickly in the rivers she passed. Choosing a clean tunic from her pack, Aaricia dressed quickly and braided her long blonde hair before heading downstairs for breakfast. Manveru was already waiting for her, standing near the same table they had shared the night before. She smiled at him in greeting: It was good to actually know someone for a change after months of loneliness on the road. "Good morning," she wished him, gazing up at the tall elf in wonder, just to confirm to herself that she had not dreamed him. She tried once more unsuccessfully not to stare at his ears. Shaking herself, she remembered her manners and she was just about to ask him whether he would like to share breakfast at the inn, when another stranger entered the dining area. Normally, Aaricia wouldn't have paid any attention: strangers came and went in a place like this and one was much like the next. But this particular stranger caught her eye for, like Manveru, this woman had chisled features, flawless skin and pointed ears. She couldn't be anything other than an elf! Not meaning to be rude, Aaricia simply gaped as the elf slowly approached them, her eyes on Manveru.

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 04:26
Manveru greeted Aaricia with pleasure, noting that she had apparently enjoyed a bath as her skin glowed and her hair was shiny and neatly braided. He was happy she had stayed her at Bolin's Inn as the family would have cared for her as one of their own, making sure she had sufficient blankets and hot water. "You look very well this morning, m'lady. You slept well? We should eat....." He noticed her eyes staring at something over his shoulder and he turned to see what it was.

The person walking toward them warmed Manveru's heart. "Earwen! Wherever did you come from?" His hand crossed his chest, resting over his heart and his head bowed to her. It had been many years since last he had seen the Telerin elf and she had changed little. Her hair, the color of the sandy beaches from which she came, and her warm brown eyes, smiling as she approached him, were still as beautiful as her days spent with the Noldor.

"Join us for the morning meal, won't you? Ahh, my manners fail me. May I introduce Aaricia to you?" Turning to Aaricia, he waved his hand gracefully towards Earwen. "Aaricia, this is an old friend of mine, Earwen." His humor got the better of him and he added, "And when I say old, I truly mean it literally. Earwen is a few years older than I am, though I believe she wears it better than I do." His eyes twinkled as he noticed Aaricia gaping at Earwen.

"Earwen, we are leaving after our meal and heading for Rivendell. This young woman has a mystery that needs solving and I am as curious about the outcome as she is. But please, sit with us and I'll tell you all about it." When the three had sat at the same table he and Aaricia had patronized the night before, Manveru shared the story of Aaricia's missing fiancee and the most likely reason why he had chosen to disappear. He shared with Earwen the three items held by Aaricia and how they had come to be with her. "Earwen, I know you were close to Caladon's wife and feel his slaying as much as I do. I do not believe Thorgal committed this crime. I far more suspect one of our own who has gone to the dark side. I don't know what your destination is, but we would welcome you on our trip north, should you care to join us."
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2005 09:27
Enya leaned back in her seat and scowled, as she listened to the newcomer approach the table where Aaricia and Manveru sat. The sound of the footsteps told her that it was an elleth.
"Earwen! Wherever did you come from?" Manveru greeted the stranger warmly.
The scowl on Enya's face deepened, as she suddenly felt very alone, sitting by herself at the table. She shook her head, banishing the morose thoughts that had been creeping upon her.
She was just beginning to debate as to whether or not she should simply introduce herself to them, when Manveru began telling Earwen about Aaricia's unhappy story. Enya closed her eyes, so as not to appear too interested, and simply listened. She had not heard this part, and the new information intrigued her.
"Excuse me, miss." The innkeeper's voice interrupted her listening.
Enya didn't bother to open her eyes. "What do you want?"
"Would you be wantin to order somethin,?"
The innkeeper's feet shifted uncomforably. Enya bit back the urge to laugh; clearly the man was still uncomfortable with her.
"No, thank you." She said after a moment's' thought. "I will not be staying much longer."
"As you wish."

The innkeeper hesitated, then walked away, to see to his other customers. He bit his lip, a slight frown marring his usually cheerful face. He didn't want to cause trouble with the woman- she looked dangerous- but he was certain that she had been watching Manveru and Aaricia only a moment ago. Perhaps he should just mention his suspicions to the Elf, and let Manveru handle it.

(Ooc) Sorry for such a short post.

Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2005 10:17
[Ooc: Is it okay for me to join? I am not an english speaking girl, But i will try my best to write as much as possible.
My character is Marisha Silver. She would be most likely known by elfs from Rivendell. She had once lived in Minas Tirith, but her parents often went to Rivendell. The rest of her biography can be found in the character database...]

IC:
She wanted to leave this place more than anything.
It was a month ago at least, that her parents were killed in this very mansion. And from that day on she had nightmares every second she was asleep.
She couldnt take it any longer. She couldnt live here anymore. Not for now. She needed time off.
Her plan was to leave for Rivendell and leave the two maids in charge of the mansion. She would inform the King of her departure, and he would not be very glad to see her leave. She had grown up only one level below the kings quarters, and her parents had been very good friends of the king and queen.
It was now in the middle of the night, and Marisha didnt want to fall asleep, even though she was dead-tired.
She was afraid that she would once again get the vision of herself coming home in the morning and experience it all again.

Eventually, after another half our of keeping herself awake she did fell asleep.

She was walking home, after staying the night at a friends place, who had been sad because of her husband had left again on a mission for the king.
Marisha didnt understand how someone her age could allready be married. Marriage meant kids, and kids meant staying home. Kids ment no freedom to go where you want. And that was just what Marisha needed. She was raised with travelling. Her parent were an exception to most families. Her parents often went to Rivendell and in a couple of moths they would go again.
She pulled the simple key from her pocket and pushed it in the lock. But the door was allready open. That was strange...
Marisha opened the door cautiously and looked inside.
She didnt notice anything odd. It was just very silent inside.
Marisha stepped in the house and walked through the living room. There she stood still abrubly, looking at the scene in schock. Drawers were pulled open, silverworks were gone, paintings were crashed to the floor... Tears started to form in Marisha's eyes. It was strange to see her normally so tidy and clean house so messed up like this.
Where were her parents? Were they off, warning the guards? Were they still in bed, never noticed a thing of the burglurary.
She made her way further in the room when her eyes suddenly fell on a knife on the floor.
Was that...
Marisha picked up the knife and inspected the red substance upon it.
She dropped it in shock. It was blood on the knife... And those drops on the floor were too...
She moved even more cautiously forward when her eyes fell upon something else in the second hall leading towards the kitchen. It were red handmarkings on the walls.
"Oh Valar..." Marisha said slowly, when she ran her fingers across the bloodied parts of the wall.
What she saw next made her stand still horrified. She was paralysed with shock, but trembling all over her body.
What she saw was a body laying on the floor, one arm stretched towards another arm, wich body what belonged with it was hidden around the corner.
The other arm was covering a large wound in the persons chest.
That person had been her father, and that arm belonged to her mother.
Both were lying dead-still. She moved further into the kitchen to see the rest of her mothers body, and saw that she was indeed also dead.
It was like her heart had died along with her parents...

Marisha opened her eyes, inhaling air loudly. She couldnt handle the nightmares anymore.
She opened the curtains, trembling, and saw that it was morning allready. She began packing her most neccesary belongings and threw her packs near the door on the floor.
She was leaving right now. She had to.

She had gone to the king to tell about her departing from Minas Tirith.
He had replied with sadness in his voice, but he told her that he understood.
[I dont want to play Aragorn for he is Tolkiens, So I will keep it with this...]

After her visit to the king Marisha took her things and went off to the stables and packed it all onto her horse. It was a strong animal, and could take the, more than usual, ammount of baggage easily.

She went to the "Jogful Jug" to see the Rivendellon Elf that Aragorn had been speaking about and she recognised him as soon as she stepped inside of the Inn.

Manveru stood there with two girls. An elven girl, and a human girl.
She knew Manveru, she had been practically raised in Rivendell, and Manveru was a sort of friend of her.
At least, she thought he was a friend of her, but she didnt know how he felt that. He could just aswell see her as just someone he knew. She didnt know how elves saw friendships...
But she did walk up to him and commented the presence of the two women with a humorous line.
"I see that you are surrounded by women as usual? I hope you wont bother that I will join you three and add another to your flock of females?" She said jokingly, and kind, though the pain of the recent traumatic event was heard through her jolly appereance...

[Marisha can be found in the DB]
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2005 07:54
Earwen looked at Manveru, her eyes kind and gentle. She greeted him with the same gestures and said, “I heard the whistle – I was not too far away, so I thought I’d investigate. I have to admit I did not expect to see you here, though – old friend, tell me how have you been?”

"Join us for the morning meal, won't you? Ahh, my manners fail me. May I introduce Aaricia to you?" Turning to Aaricia, he waved his hand gracefully towards Earwen. "Aaricia, this is an old friend of mine, Earwen." His humor got the better of him and he added, "And when I say old, I truly mean it literally. Earwen is a few years older than I am, though I believe she wears it better than I do." His eyes twinkled as he noticed Aaricia gaping at Earwen.

Earwen smiled at Aaricia. “Mea govannen! It is my pleasure to meat you.” Then she turned back to Manveru – how little he had changed. Her heart warmed to see an old friend once more. “But tell me, old fiend, why was that whistle blown and why do I find you here instead of Caladon’s murderer?”

"Earwen, we are leaving after our meal and heading for Rivendell. This young woman has a mystery that needs solving and I am as curious about the outcome as she is. But please, sit with us and I'll tell you all about it." When the three had sat at the same table he and Aaricia had patronized the night before, Manveru shared the story of Aaricia's missing fiancee and the most likely reason why he had chosen to disappear. He shared with Earwen the three items held by Aaricia and how they had come to be with her. "Earwen, I know you were close to Caladon's wife and feel his slaying as much as I do. I do not believe Thorgal committed this crime. I far more suspect one of our own who has gone to the dark side. I don't know what your destination is, but we would welcome you on our trip north, should you care to join us."

Earwen listened closely to what Manveru had to tell her and she was shocked. This would not be an easy riddle to solve – but this, it seemed was the purpose she had been waiting for. She smiled at Aaricia and Manveru. “I’d be glad to join you on your quest – it is very important to fight for your love,” she said to Aaricia. To Manveru she said, “And I would be more than glad to finally find out why all this happened to Caladon for Calien’s sake. (ooc: hope you had not named her bereth – if you did, tell me and I’ll edit!) the last time I saw her she was almost ready to take a ship, but this unsolved mystery binds her to this place still. I would like to see her free.”

"I see that you are surrounded by women as usual? I hope you wont bother that I will join you three and add another to your flock of females?" Earwen turned around and looked at the new addition. She had seen the girl before, but could not remember her name. She looked at Manveru and Aaricia, trying read their feelings about the newcomer in their body postures. Quietly she observed.
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2005 12:24
"Hello Earwen. How are you doing these days?" Marisha asked. "I do hope that you remember me or don't you?" She asked again and smiled.
She looked at Manveru quickly. "Lots of things happened recently, And I am going to Rivendell for a while. I cannot stay here for my own mental sake..."
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 06:43
Aaricia gazed shyly at the she-elf, Earwen, as Manveru introduced them. Even older than Manveru? It didn't seem possible! Aaricia tried to imagine being so very ancient, having so much experience and wisdom, but couldn't. In her village, the elders were greatly respected and people sought them out for their advice and wisdom. What incredible knowledge these two must share between them, Aaricia thought! Earwen greeted her with "Mae govannen," clearly something in an elven tongue. The sound rolled off the she-elf's lips like water, and Aaricia immediately longed to learn to speak this beautiful language she had never heard. She smiled back and returned the greeting in the common tongue.

Aaricia was just starting to feel slightly more comfortable around the she-elf when the small group was suddenly approached by one more individual: A human this time, but with big sad eyes. Nevertheless, her greeting was cheerful and Earwen appeared to know her: readily welcoming her into their small group. Aaricia just smiled shyly: after months of solitude on the road, being at the center of a large group of people, some of whom had known each other for thousands of years, was rather intimidating. She waited to see whether Manveru would include this Marisha on their plans to journey to Rivendell in order to find out what happened to her betrothed.

(Ooc: Welcome, Sigilien! What is your native language? Your English is excellent. Is it French or Spanish?)
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 03:40
Manveru, Earwen and Aaricia sat at the table quietly talking about the young girl's quest when a voice next to Manveru said, "I see that you are surrounded by women as usual? I hope you wont bother that I will join you three and add another to your flock of females?"

He looked up, surprise clearly written on his face. He knew the young woman slightly, having met her in Rivendell in the recent past. His eyes were thoughtful as he asked, "Marisha, isn't it?" She nodded and continued, "Hello Earwen. How are you doing these days?" Marisha asked. "I do hope that you remember me or don't you?" She asked again and smiled. She looked at Manveru quickly. "Lots of things happened recently, And I am going to Rivendell for a while. I cannot stay here for my own mental sake..."

Manveru had heard something of the slaying of her mother and father during one of his visits in Aragorn's court and with compassion deep in his eyes, he stood, offering a chair to the young Gondorian girl. "Please, Marisha, do sit with us. We were just this moment discussing our own trip to Rivendell and would be happy to have you journey with us. Perhaps some time in the company of elves will be healing for you. How long do you plan to stay...or is that something you have yet to decide?" Turning to Aaricia, he asked, "You would not object to this young lady traveling with us, would you? You know yourself how dangerous traveling can be for a lone woman."

Suddenly, there was a tap on his shoulder. Glancing up, he saw Bolin standing there, a worried expression on his face. "Manveru, could I have a word with you, please?" Manveru realized that something must be very wrong for Bolin's brow to be so furrowed with concern and stood immediately, excusing himself from the women. "Excuse me, will you? I shall return shortly. Continue eating." His humor, never far from the surface expressed itself. "I will expect you all to have completed our arrangements by the time I return. I do so despise the work involved in planning long journeys," he grinned cheerfully at them.

Bolin pulled him through the kitchen and out the back door, circling around the building to a window at the side of the dining hall. Standing back under an archway in the shadows, Bolin pointed to a lone woman, sitting not far from the table the four companions had been sharing. "Sir, that woman was here last night, and again this morning. She sits near you and listens to everything you say. She's not...uh...very friendly, I guess you could say. But she makes me nervous, especially when I've caught sight of her watching you without, you know, watching you. Perhaps you might want to have a word with her. I just thought you ought to know, sir, being the valued customer you are and all."

"Thank you, Bolin. I will see what her interest is." The two walked back the way they had come, and Manveru headed back towards his table then turned at the last minute to the table where the lone woman sat. Confronting her, he spoke, "You seem to have taken quite an interest in our business, miss. Would you care to share with me exactly what that interest is?" His eyes were dark with suppressed anger as he stood waiting for her to answer.
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 04:56
Enya impatiently tapped her fingers against the table, as she listened to Manveru invite Marisha to join with them.
Ai, you waste time here. She thought, wondering just how much this Aaricia wanted to find Thorgal. Are you really so eager to find him, when you linger here unnecessarily?
"Manveru, could I have a word with you, please?"
Enya's fingers stopped tapping the table. She had heard a great ammount of worry in the innkeeper's voice, and she had a feeling that the man was going to say something about her. She did not hear what the innkeeper had to say however, as both he and Manveru stood up and disappeared into the kitchens.
They returned a few minutes later, Bolin headed off to see to his other customers, and the Elf headed back to his table.
Enya resumed tapping her fingers on the table, her pale face expressionless. The Elf abruptly changed direction midstep, and stopped in front of her table.
"You seem to have taken quite an interest in our business, miss. Would you care to share with me exactly what that interest is?" The Elf said, his suppressed anger coming through in his tone.
Enya fought the urge to snap back at the Elf. After all, he had not been the one listening to someone else's conversation. Instead, she remained silent, scutinizing the Elf carefully, now that he was close enough for her to see him.
He was tall, as most elves were. His black hair made Enya think that he could be one of the Noldor. His eyes, which were staring down at her rather intently, were an interesting mixture of gray, green and blue.
Finally, she spoke, taking care to keep her voice neutral.
"I take an interest in anything which might concern my friends." She said, leaning back and lacing her fingers together. "I am well known to many Elves and hearing talk of an Elf killer concerns me greatly. It was not my intention to eavesdrop on your conversation, but," and here she let a slight smile touch her lips, "But when you speak so loud, it is difficult not to hear. In any case, I was about to offer my help, if you would have it... Ah, you do not trust me." She nodded her head slowly. "under the circumstances, I would understand this; not many people trust me at first sight, as I do not trust them. But, I think it would be wise to accept my offer of help. I am traveling to the same place as you, to Rivendell, and it would be better to have me as a friend than make an enemy of me.
The Elf's eyes darkened just noticably, and Enya held up her hand quickly to stop the Elf before he could speak.
"No no, I was not threatening you, I merely stated a fact.
She stared up at the Elf intently, one eyebrow lifted slightly in question.
"Well, what say you? Will you accept my offer?"
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 06:25
With an arrogance that surprised Manveru, the woman responded to his question.

"I take an interest in anything which might concern my friends." She said, leaning back and lacing her fingers together. "I am well known to many Elves and hearing talk of an Elf killer concerns me greatly. It was not my intention to eavesdrop on your conversation, but," and here she let a slight smile touch her lips, "But when you speak so loud, it is difficult not to hear. In any case, I was about to offer my help, if you would have it...

"When we speak so loud???" he almost sputtered, so strong was his fury. "You were eavesdropping on a most softly spoken conversation and ...Pffft. Then you have the nerve to offer us help? Why would I trust someone as sly as you?"

Ah, you do not trust me." She nodded her head slowly. "under the circumstances, I would understand this; not many people trust me at first sight, as I do not trust them. But, I think it would be wise to accept my offer of help. I am traveling to the same place as you, to Rivendell, and it would be better to have me as a friend than make an enemy of me.

Manveru's eyes sparked with barely contained fury as he evaluated what possible danger she could possibly represent to their small group. Enya held up her hand quickly to stop the Elf before he could speak.

"No no, I was not threatening you, I merely stated a fact. She stared up at the Elf intently, one eyebrow lifted slightly in question. "Well, what say you? Will you accept my offer?"

Glaring at her, he sneered, "There is no way you serve as any threat to me. But...give me one good reason why I should threaten a group of innocent women by having your presence amongst us. Because frankly, my lady, you offer nothing but threat to them. What could you possibly offer that would serve any purpose or use to this group?" Manveru realized that, though he rarely disliked anyone without reason, he disliked this woman instantly, and wouldn't trust her as far as he could throw her, which would be a considerable distance should he wish. Furthermore, he could discern nothing in her offer of any value to their quest. He waited to see what her response would be, not that he expected anything of any service.

[Edited on 28/11/2005 by berethedhellen]
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2005 08:23
"There is no way you serve as any threat to me. But...give me one good reason why I should threaten a group of innocent women by having your presence amongst us. Because frankly, my lady, you offer nothing but threat to them. What could you possibly offer that would serve any purpose or use to this group?" The Elf sneered angrily.
Of all the answers that Manveru could have come up with, the one he had offered was the one that least surprised her; it was also the one which irritated her the most.
"Not a threat to you?" She questioned softly, more to herself than to the Elf, "Well, whether or not that is true is debatable, but right now we will not discuss that."
She paused for a moment, to gauge the Elf's reaction, then continued on casually.
"Naturally, I would expect such a reaction from one such as yourself. Elves always did have a penchant for being overly suspicious and quick to jump to the wrong conclusion."
She sat forward and steepled her fingers together as she scrutinized him closer.
"Hmmm....I would guess that you were perhaps from Mirkwood. You are too, shall we say, untrusting and rather rude, to be from any other realm. The Rivendell Elves, while cautious, are rather careless in such matters of trust, and the Elves of Lothlorien are not so rude. That leaves Mirkwood."
She laughed, her sapphire eyes betraying her amusment at the Elf's expence.
Enya, you fool! What are you doing? Do you want to help Aaricia or not?"
The smile on Enya's face faded abruptly, in light of this thought. Aaricia trusted this Elf, and if Manveru did not trust her enough to at least tolerate her presence, then Aaricia would not want her to come. By the laws of her people, she would not be permitted to follow them.
Enya sighed, then looked at the Elf seriously, "I know that you see nothing to be gained by my presence, but really, why would I wish to threaten these women, none of whom are known to me. It would be a rather dishonorable thing to do, do you not agree?
I wish to stop this Elf killer, that is all. I have no other reason for being here."
"A moment ago, you called my sly. How did I manage to come off as such, when you had not even spoken with me before? Do not judge me by my appearance, Elf. Not all those who walk in shadow, serve the Shadow."
she crossed her arms in front of her chest, and frowned at the Elf, as her prideful nature momentarily took over, "Besides, I was not going to offer you my help at all." She nodded over in Aaricia's direction. "I was offering to help her."
She tossed her head arrogantly, "Softly spoken conversation indeed."

BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 08:58
Manveru listened to the woman as she mocked him and attempted to play with his mind. A small smile curved his lips upward in genuine amusement. He had lived in Middle Earth for millenia and had met the best and the worst that mankind could produce. If this was to be one of the worst, so be it.

He chuckled when she determined "I would guess that you were perhaps from Mirkwood. You are too, shall we say, untrusting and rather rude, to be from any other realm." He deemed her comments not worthy of a response, particularly when it was so very far from the facts, and continued to listen quietly as she rambled on.

Enya sighed, then looked at the Elf seriously, "I know that you see nothing to be gained by my presence, but really, why would I wish to threaten these women, none of whom are known to me. It would be a rather dishonorable thing to do, do you not agree? I wish to stop this Elf killer, that is all. I have no other reason for being here. A moment ago, you called my sly. How did I manage to come off as such, when you had not even spoken with me before? Do not judge me by my appearance, Elf. Not all those who walk in shadow, serve the Shadow."

"Tis not your appearance that leads me to such an opinion, tis your rudeness at listening to the conversation of others that does not concern you," he said, his voice very soft and undisturbed. "Had you heard something of interest to you by accident, it would have been deemed far more polite of you to approach us, state your feelings and make an open offer, rather than sit in your 'shadow'. His eyes were gentle and his voice equally so as he watched her, her back stiff and the deep frown on her face, wondering what could have created so much anger to live inside such a small person.

she crossed her arms in front of her chest, and frowned at the Elf, as her prideful nature momentarily took over, "Besides, I was not going to offer you my help at all." She nodded over in Aaricia's direction. "I was offering to help her." She tossed her head arrogantly, "Softly spoken conversation indeed."

"Indeed it was, which intrigues me, my lady. What gift have you that would have allowed you, and only you, to have heard it?" Manveru had been speaking in little over a whisper for some time, yet this strange woman was hearing his every word. "And what would be your answer if I told you that we would not welcome you to join us? I see that you have a desire to be of some use, but you have yet to tell me what that use might be. If you can rid yourself of your hostility for but a moment and speak to me clearly of what you can offer us in the way of help in our quest, I would be more than willing to listen." The Elf was gently and sincerely offering this woman an opening but it was up to her whether she would choose to take it.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 09:11
"Hello Earwen. How are you doing these days?" Marisha asked. "I do hope that you remember me or don't you?" She asked again and smiled.

Earwen was just about to answer, when Manveru was called away by the innkeeper. The conversation that followed immediately caught Earwen's interest. She had noticed the stranger when she had come in and she had also noticed that she seemed to be listening, but had payed no attention, thinking that a human girl would not be able to follow their conversation anyway unless directly included.

This girl, however seemed to be particular in more than one way. It had been a long time since Earwen had heard anyone talk to Manveru like that. Eves as old as Manveru and her usually commanded a certain respect and reverence just by their appearance and manner of speaking.

She could not help but admire the girls courage and she had to disagree with Manveru. If not carefully treated, courageous people could be a threat to anyone, for they would see anything through that they had put into their head. And there was more to this girl than met the eye. It was certainly necessary to be cautious around her, but she herself would rather have her with them and be able to keep an eye on what she was doing than scaring her away now and chancing her to follow them and be an unknown liability.

When Manveru finally offered the girl a treaty, Earwen waited for the girl to respond, also hoping she would solve the mystery about her excellent hearing.
Elf_Princess_Of_Light
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 10:45
Enya listened in annoyed silence as the Elf spoke. Was he deliberately mocking her or was he like that naturally? The smile that played about his face angered her to no end. She had seen that look so many times before, mostly from Elves who looked down upon her and treated her as if she were a child; which would only be natural to them since to them she was a child.
Sit in my 'shadow'? Do you think I do that deliberately? she thought angrily, though she kept her face passive.

"Indeed it was, which intrigues me, my lady. What gift have you that would have allowed you, and only you, to have heard it?
"it was not my intention to listen to your conversation, as I stated before." She said finally, but without her earlier arrogance. "But, I was not about to leave the inn to prevent myself from hearing it either. Do you think that your conversation was the only one I heard? No, I heard them all. The only difference is that I paid attention to yours. I do not simply walk into something without knowing what I am getting into. I did wish to offer my help, but only after I knew what I was going to help with. but yes, I suppose to someone who does not know me would find it rude, and for that I will apologize."

"And what would be your answer if I told you that we would not welcome you to join us? I see that you have a desire to be of some use, but you have yet to tell me what that use might be. If you can rid yourself of your hostility for but a moment and speak to me clearly of what you can offer us in the way of help in our quest, I would be more than willing to listen."

Oh, you hypocritical Elf! Thus far you have allowed two people to accompany you on this quest, and even went so far as to tell another person of Aaricia's plight, without even asking her if she wished to have anyone else know. Enya knew she was not being fair, but watching the Elf patronize her as if she were a spoiled child was infuriating.
Aloud she said, "First of all, I might ask how you know that everyone else would not wish me to come, but I will dissmiss that question as irrelevant. Second, I would say that I can help in many different fields, it all merely depends on what the situation calls for, but I think that the one which Aaricia might appreciate the most is understanding, someone who knows what she is going through and is willing to help ensure that it does not end...badly. But, if you really will refuse my help, then I would simply nod and concede defeat in my endeavor. I will not follow, if I am not accepted willingly."
Enya stood up slowly, watching the Elf warily, "If you still question whether or not you can trust my word, I assure you, On my Honor, I had no evil intentions regarding my offer."

On my Honor; it was a phrase she knew well. She had spoken it many times, mostly to her fellow warriors and the "Arth-Hirvegil" ; the leader of her people. It was used mostly for formality or, in rare cases, where one had the need to convince someone of their sincerity.
amandil4ever
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 11:33
Mirdulinn had been traveling through Gondor when she decided to stop at an inn. She was somewhat tired, as she had just come from Osgiliath and now was in Minas Tirith. She lept off of her stallion when a small boy ran out from behind the inn and offered to take care of him. "I can brush him down and feed him" he said. "He will be most comfortable in our stables." She was amazed at his red hair. She had never seen hair that red before. She looked at it for a few seconds before beginning to talk. "Thank you my lad" she said gently, handing the reins over to him.

Mirdulinn began to walk into the inn which was quite comfortable, with a counter on her left side, and a commons room just beyond it. "Can I be helping you miss? Do you need a room and a meal?" a voice asked from behind the counter. Mirdulinn looked to the owner of the voice, a man who looked very much like the boy outside. She assumed that they were related by the red hair that they both had. Mirdulinn smiled at the man. "Just a meal today, thank you." She went to an empty table and sat down, looking at the gathered people in the room.
Soon the man walked over to her and she assumed that he was the keeper of this inn. He handed her a menu, stepping back a little to let her look it over. "What would you like to be having today?" he asked. Mirdulinn looked at a menu for about 30 seconds and replied, "Just a bowl of soup, please, and some bread." "Coming right up" came the reply as he dissappeared.

Mirdulinn noticed an elf and human talking heatedly in another part of the room. She tried not to listen, and instead paid attention to some females at another table. Most of them were elves, although she could not tell where they were from. Mirdulinn decided to go over and say hello for she had no one to talk to. She gracefully stood up and went over to where the elves were sitting, her cloak moving a little with her movements. She stopped in front of their table and got up the courage to say something. "Mae govannen! May I join you?" Mirdulinn asked. "My name is Mirdulinn, an elf of Mirkwood." She looked at those who were gathered, wondering who they were and who the elf and human were. She smiled at them, hoping that they would not be offended by her request.

[Mirdulinn is in the DB. I hope it is alright that I joined]
Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2005 12:23
[lol... I am dutch.]

Marisha looked at the door when another person entered. She did that automatically, and she caught herself hoping it would be one of her parents coming in, and telling her to go home and have breakfast.
Marisha sighed, but looked at the girl, inspecting her figure.
Another elf? It was undyingly crowded with elves today.
She looked at Manveru who was still in a heated conversation with the person at the other table.
She had no idea what they were arguing about, but she thought it had something to do with a conversation she had been eavesdropping or something, according to their loud words.
Marisha smiled at the girls around her, and especially to the one looking a bit frightened.
"Are you okay?" Marisha asked Aaricia, "You don't look like you come from these regions, or do you? What brings you here? Friends? Family? Buisness?"
Marisha was silent for a second. "Forgive my nosiness... If you do not wish to tell me, be so wise not to do so."
She sighed again. Why couldn't she keep her mouth shut?! This girl was clearly a little uncomfortable around all these new things and she was talking her head off! What should she be thinking? That all the gondorian girls just began talking to strangers out of nothing?
"I am sorry... I think that I am a bit hyper today. Its just that my head is running a bit fast because a lot has been happening recently, and I am not over it yet..."
Should she tell her?
Nah... Then what would she think? That gondorian girls liked to talk about their misery and wanted a pat on the back?
No... she would keep that for a later moment, if there would be one.
She would like to come with them to Rivendell, but what if the others wouldn't want them to come?
"Argh stop it... You are making yourself crazy... Not turning paranoid are we?" She thought and shook her head a little.
GwennethSindalúnë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 06:15
Aaricia seated herself at the table with Earwen and Marisha, anxious to share her tale with them both and see whether they would have any insight into Thorgal's plight. She was somewhat relieved that this Marisha was human like herself. The tall and beautiful elves still made Aaricia rather nervous. She smiled shyly at the young woman, wondering if she would, at last, have a friend to journey with. Months of solitude as she searched increasingly desperately for any sign of her betrothed weighed heavily upon her. She longed for a friend: someone to share her worries with. Someone to talk to. The elves seemed to Aaricia to be so ancient and different form herself, it was difficult to imagine one of them as a friend. But Marisha seemed a likely prospect and Aaricia immediately took to the young woman with her kind ways despite the sadness apparent in her eyes.

Manveru was about to join them at the table when the innkeeper asked him for a word. The large man looked worried, and Aaricia wondered what could be wrong. When Manveru returned a few moments later, he made a beeline for the woman that Aaricia had noticed yesterday and immediately began a heated conversation with her. Aaricia gaped: not sure whether she was being rude or not, but she couldn't help staring. The woman said Aaricia's name several times, and as her voice rose in Anger, Aaricia caught snippets of the argument:

"Do you think that your conversation was the only one I heard?" the woman said. "No, I heard them all. The only difference is that I paid attention to yours. I do not simply walk into something without knowing what I am getting into. I did wish to offer my help, but only after I knew what I was going to help with. but yes, I suppose to someone who does not know me would find it rude, and for that I will apologize."

Aaricia frowned. But how could she have heard them? They had been speaking so quietly. Surely it would have been impossible for this stranger to overhear them? And yet, she apparently had. And now, she was offering her help. And not just to the group: Specifically to Aaricia herself. She swallowed, wondering whether they could trust her.The woman stood up, facing Manveru, and stated loudly: "If you still question whether or not you can trust my word, I assure you, On my Honor, I had no evil intentions regarding my offer."

Aaricia stared, wondering whether Manveru would accept her offer to help. Vaguely, she heard Marisha asking about her business here in the city.She chattered away gaily as if nothing were happening, and Aaricia appreciated the distraction. She decided that whatever Manveru did, she would trust his judgement. Turning her attention back to Marisha, she smiled and briefly explained that she was searching for her betrothed. She didn't bother to explain about the three objects and the elf killer. She would wait until Manveru returned to the table for that. His knowledge of such things was much greater than hers.

Sigilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2005 11:54
[okay, a question... Betrothed means husband/the man you love, right?]

Marisha looked nervously at Manveru and the girl, not sure what to do.
Then luckily Aaricia replied to her.

"I am here, looking for my betrothed, He has gone somewhere but didn't return yet, and now I would like to find him. I miss him."

"Oh, yes... I would miss him too if I had a love in my life, but strangely I have never been in love in my whole life. And I have met loads of men, and men have been in love with me. I find it scary, people who want to do so much for you, in return for your attention and presence. I don't know how men do that."
She was silent for a while again.
"Am I talking too much? I am sorry for that, I just need to talk I think."
She looked down at the table for a thought of her parents and that her mother will never be there to calm her made her feel sick and sad again.
"I..." She stopped.
A tear dripped from her eye and ran down her cheek. It was hardly noticeable, but since Aaricia sat so close she might be able to see.
"I'm sorry... I'll be outside when someone needs me... can you get me when I have not returned and Manveru is back?" Marisha said and she wiped the tear away quickly.

She stepped outside with fast steps and leaned back against the wall next to the door, but out of sight of anyone who would want to enter the Inn. These were her private feelings, no stranger would have to know.
Manveru was allowed to know, and Aaricia too, because she told her buisness in this city, but the others Marisha knew hardly, so she didn't know if she would tell them.
She glided down the wall to sit on the ground with her back still leaned against it. She put her arms around her knees and put her head between her arms.
Then she let her tears flow freely.
All the pain of the last month was thrown out, and it actually felt like it was releasing her of the weight on her shoulders for a while.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email