Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Rangers Travels(free, only slightly scripted, see 1st post for general idea)
on: March 29, 2006 12:09
Pherphin put a hand over his eye, and got up. He had to check on his sister. He stood nearby, trying not to attract anyone's attention. Zee was cursing under her breath, and digging through her pack. When she found what she was looking for, she pulled it out. in her hand, she had a flask of water. Zee opened it and dumped it on her head. "Much better," she said, then got up. She was still a little dizzy, but she easily found Pherphin. They smiled at each other, and Pherphin gave his sister a big hug. His hand was still over his eye, and Zee carefully pulled it away. She wiped some of the paste away, and examined his wound. She shook her head, and finally some words passed between the twins. "Ever are you getting in trouble." They both laughed and sat down to discuss what had happened to them since they had last met.
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Rangers Travels(free, only slightly scripted, see 1st post for general idea)
on: March 29, 2006 05:35
Laurithain turned to see Pherphin standing there, hugging Zee. She shook her head and rolled her eyes before walking over. She handed him a wet cloth. "Time for the paste to come off, Pherphin. Oh, did I interrupt? I'm sorry. Here you go." She handed him the cloth and walked back to check on how Nikun was doing. He stood, looking at the sky. Laurithain stood near. "Has she returned?" His intent gaze was not broken, it was as if he had not heard her. She coughed slightly. He jumped, turning. "Has Cassandra returned?" The roll of his eyes answered her question. She held up her arm, and Elwe shimmyed down to her wrist. She held him up. "Elwe may be of assistance," she said. She whispered, "Find your companion, Cassandra." She lifted her wrist, and he soared away over the treetops. "He will find her safely, I pray," said Laurithain.
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2006 12:20
Pherphin wiped off the paste, but his eye was still swollen and shut. Zee looked at him concerned, but he just shrugged. He wrapped a strip of cloth around his eye, then continued with the conversation. "Have you found someone since Magorinc?" Zee shook her head sadly. "I told you I would never love again. Especially not a mortal." Pherphin just hugged her again, knowing not to say anything.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2006 12:22
Nikun watched Elwe winging his way into the sky. He continued his search for Cassandra, whistling softly. He took the lure from its pouch on his belt and began to swing it round his head.

Suddenly, he saw the falcon, hovering over a patch of grass in the distance. As he watched, she swooped to the ground and then rose again, some small animal grasped in her talons. His heart sank. She seemed to be hunting for herself and not at his command. With fresh meat she would not return to the lure. He watched her fly away.

Nikun turned to Lauri, "She's gone," he said. "I knew it would happen one day; it always does with these birds. Maybe I'll find her again one day. We've been together since she was a chick. I found her and trained her. She's hunted for me, both for food and in battle." He turned back in the direction the falcon had flown. "Live free, Cassandra. May we meet again one day."

He walked slowly back to the rest of the group.

The man he had rescued lay on the ground. He was badly wounded but still conscious. Lauri came over, bringing her salves and bandages. She began to minister to the wounded ranger.

"What is your name, friend?" Nikun asked the man.
"Gildan," the man replied, "I'm with Zee's band. We heard there were bands of orcs forming in this area and heading towards The Shire. We hoped to disperse them but it seems this group were stronger than we thought. Even with your aid we were overcome."
"Yet we live to fight another day," Nikun replied.

Meanwhile, Lauri had set Gildan's broken collarbone and put his arm in a sling.

"Somebody must tell King Elessar," she said.
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2006 05:55
Laurithain helped the wounded ranger, paying no heed to her own wounds. As soon as she had finished, she stood there by Nikun. "I am guessing that Elwe followed Cassandra. He will accompany her well." She then said, almost out of subconscious instinct, "Somebody must tell king Elessar." She turned to Nikun, and nodded. "I will tell the group that someone must go, I will look for a volunteer." She turned to walk towards the others, but as she took her first step, she fell ot the ground, darkness falling into her eyes. She cried out, and tried to push herself up. She was unable to do so, though. She looked out of slowly closing eyes. Her dress was soaked through with blood, but where it was torn, she saw a huge gash across her side, black and ugly. "It...it's poisoned. Please...help." she said before falling into unconsciousness...
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2006 02:24
Zedna and Pherphin ran over, instantly going into rescue mode. They worked as a team, experiance showing through. Zedna tore away the clothes from the wound. As soon as she had them away, pherphin started working to extract the poisen. Once he was satisfied, He moved over for Zedna to bathe the wound with an infusion of herbs. Next, Pherphin dressed the wound. The backed up, and Zedna gave orders to her rangers. "We shall camp here tonight. She is not to be left alone. She shall sleep in my tent." She walked away and her rangers started setting up the tent.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 10:56
Nikun watched as Zee's band started putting up the tents. He scanned the horizon, looking for signs of orcs. It seemed strange that they would have withdrawn completely, especially as they must have realised how much damage they had inflicted on the rangers.
There was no sign of the orcs. He looked at the sky and saw birds flying normally. He could see a couple of coneys going about their business, apparently no more afraid than coneys always were. Everything seemed normal. The birds and animals looked unaware of any threat. He knelt down and listened to the ground. All seemed quiet. It really seemed as if the orcs had gone. The question was, how far?
He looked round the other rangers. Many were wounded. Some just had scratches. Zee and Pherphin seemed in reasonable condition but Laurithain was badly hurt. Tari appeared uninjured.
Nikun turned to his horse. Diomedes, was grazing quietly, another sign that there were no orcs in the vicinity. Nikun checked the horse; the animal was unhurt but deserved his rest and food.
He walked over to Tari and some of the other rangers. "We'll need a watch for tonight. I see no signs of the orcs but they won't have gone far. We can't move any further tonight, not whilst so many are injured. Nor would it be fair on the horses. We should eat something, then share the watch through the night. Then, well, we'll see what the morning brings. Lauri said that somebody must tell the King. In the morning, some of us must head to Minas Tirith. Perhaps the whole band should start to move in that direction. These orcs were too strong for us. I think we'll need a company of men-at-arms. Besides, there are settlements that should be warned."
Vilya_Undomiel_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 12:32
Tari climbed to a point in a tree nearby after she removed the bracelet's from Galelasa's fetlocks and cleaned them. They were now harmless except for the fact that they could still tear flesh. She watched and listened silently from the trees, everything, in her opinion, had gone wrong. Too many were injured, too many lives and horses were lost. Lauri was unconscious...the leader, her closest friend was on the brink of life and death and she could do nothing about it. It made her angry and she was not prone to anger easily. The orcs not only killed several of her favorite beasts and friends, but also wounded her pride. She would not sit still and do nothing. She hopped down from her position in time to hear Nikun speak. "We'll need a watch for tonight. I see no signs of the orcs but they won't have gone far. We can't move any further tonight, not whilst so many are injured. Nor would it be fair on the horses. We should eat something, then share the watch through the night. Then, well, we'll see what the morning brings. Lauri said that somebody must tell the King. In the morning, some of us must head to Minas Tirith. Perhaps the whole band should start to move in that direction. These orcs were too strong for us. I think we'll need a company of men-at-arms. Besides, there are settlements that should be warned." Tari watched him closely, he had the leadership qualities they all needed right then, especially her. She didn't know what possessed her to say, "I'll take the first and the last watch." but she did. She asked Nikun to step aside with her for a moment, because he looked like he was about to protest. "I can not possibly sleep this evening therefore no matter what you say I'm taking two watches." She looked at him waiting for a response.

[Edited on 9/5/2006 by Vilya_Undomiel_Greenleaf]
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 04:46
Laurithain woke from the darkness with a searing pain shooting through her side. She felt the darkness trying to return, and not able to help herself, she screamed, "Nikun! Pherphin! Somebody, help!" She grimaced, biting down hard on her tongue, too hard in fact, as she tasted blood. No one seemed to hear her. She cried out again, "Nikun! Help! Pherphin!" Her voice was going away quicker than she thought, and her next plea for help was a whisper. By that time, though, someone had thrown back the tent opening and stooped, looking in. She only saw their shadowy figure, and she cried out in fear, fearing another orc attack. She tried to push herself to move back, but the being entered the tent. She whimpered in fear, imagining an orc bending down with his sword, but as the figure knelt beside her a calm voice reassured her that it was Nikun. Another figure entered, and she heard a small band assembling outside the tent, exclaiming in worry. As more shadows showed through the tent cover, Laurithain collapsed back in relief, looking up into the worried eyes of Pherphin and Nikun.
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 02:25
Pherphin put his hand to Lauri's brow. It was very warm. He made a slight face and pressed a cool cloth to her head. "What are you dreaming?" he asked, concern showing through.

---

Zedna was tending to the wounds of her rangers. Many had harmless scratches, but there were still some that needed to stay in the infirmary they had set up. She was talking softly to many of the rangers in Sindarin, a language that many of her ranger spoke.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 10:36
Nikun smiled at Tari. He would have prefered to take the first watch himself and let the others get some rest. However, he appreciated that Tari wanted some activity.
"Very well, Tari. You take those watches but try and sleep in between. We will need you in the morning. Call if you see anything. Oh, and watch out for Cassandra. She may return."

He turned away, knowing there was little chance of the falcon returning but trying to be optimistic.

As he walked back towards the tents he heard a shout coming from Lauri. He rushed to her tent and pushed open the flap. Lauri wimpered in fear. Nikun crossed the tent and knelt beside her. "Lauri, it's all right. Don't be afraid. The orcs have gone. We're camping here for the night and we'll keep watch. In the morning we'll send to King Elessar."

He stepped aside as Pherphin rushed in. He laid a cooling cloth on Lauri's brow and calmed her.

I think she must have a fever," Nikun said quietly to Pherphin. "Do we have anything that will lower it?"

[Edited on 13/5/2006 by Hainima]
Vilya_Undomiel_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 12:26
Nikun smiled at Tari. He would have prefered to take the first watch himself and let the others get some rest. However, he appreciated that Tari wanted some activity.
"Very well, Tari. You take those watches but try and sleep in between. We will need you in the morning. Call if you see anything. Oh, and watch out for Cassandra. She may return."

She knew he was reluctant to let her have the first watch. She was about to ask him if he would share the first watch with her just so she wouldn't be alone, when Lauri started yelling for him. She rushed to the tent with him and stood behind him as he soothed her dearest friend. "I think she must have a fever," Nikun said quietly to Pherphin. "Do we have anything that will lower it?" She wished she could remember the elven spell Gandalf had taught her as a young teen. Little did anyone know, other than the fact that she spoke the language, that she was half-sindarin. She racked her brain, trying as hard as she could but she couldn't remember. She thought she saw a small shadow hovering above the tent and she went outside to investigate. She followed the shadow for a little ways before she saw it.........

(o.o.c you'll have to post back to find out what it is?)
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 04:39
Laurithain lay, sweating horribly, beads forming all ove rher forehead. She tossed her head. She realized then that she had something in her pouch. She spoke softly, barely audible. "My pouch...the outside pocket. Boil it, I'll drink it." Nikun seemed confused, but Pherphin leapt into action, grabbing the pouch and casting the leaves into the already boiling water. Lauri tried to sit up, but she heard Nikun say, "Save your strength." She nodded meekly and lay her head back on the pillow. As Pherphin came over with the hot drink, she lifted her head to take a long drink. The hot fluid burned her throat, and she stopped, allowing it to cool a moment before taking another drink. Soon, the cup was empty. She lay back for a few moments, and the herbs worked well. Within ten minutes she was sitting up. She looked at Pherphin and Nikun. She asked them to help her stand, and in their grip she was able to stand, and then leave the tent momentarily. What she saw, though, was not to anyone's liking. "NIKUN, PHERPHIN, ZEDNA, THE ORCS ARE BACK!!!" As the now doubled in size group of orcs neared, she screamed, "HEAD FOR MINAS TIRITH!" She had forgotten, though, the injury in her side, and as the wound throbbed, she doubled over in pain. The leader of the group rushed towards her, his axe held high. As he was about to let the stroke fall, though, a sword caught it in mid flight, and flung it away. Lauri turned to see who had saved her, and a strong hand reached for hers to help her stand.

(OOC: Who saved her? Was it Pherphin or Nikun? Hmmm...well, let's let the next one to post decide.)
Vilya_Undomiel_Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 08:05
Tari looked up to Cassandra swooping down. She chirped something Tari understood along the lines of, "Orcs warn others." I brought her back and gave her to Nikun who was already gathering the others. She ran into Lauri's tent and helped her dearest friend up and out to her horse Galelasa. Galelasa was beginning to act frightened knowing she didn't have the poisoned tips anymore. Tari hushed her with soothing elvish. She needed her horse at her best. With that she ran to help the others to their horses, she took one more wounded person, for Galelasa was a big horse and could carry three people without tiring for many hours. She loved the strength of Galelasa and in this state of panic, she needed that strength to carry on.
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2006 11:06
Pherphin Knocked the orc's scimitar away and fought the orcs away as he lead Lauri to her horse. He lifted her upp and got behind her. He had lost sight of his sister, but he knew she wouild be more careful this trime.

------------

Zedna sat on a horse with Blenki behind her. Blenki was one of her rangers who she was closest to. They were near the back with most of Zee's rangers, letting the others escape. It was risky, but they had done this many times. It was a technique that they were still working on perfecting.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2006 09:49
Pherphin knocked the leading orc's axe away, grabbed Laurithain and half dragged, half carried her to her horse. Nikun's sword removed the orc's head. That was probably a mistake. He barely managed to fight his way through the other orcs, desperately trying to reach Diomedes. The other rangers were struggling to their horses, or being helped by others. Some were still fighting but this was no battle, it was a rout. There was no chance that all would escape. He was fighting desperately with sword and dagger, striking at anything that came within reach. He could feel blood running from many wounds. His legs were weakening. Even if he reached Diomedes he couldn't see how he would manage to climb onto the horse and then stay on board until they were safe. He could see Diomedes straining at his tether, whinnying frantically, frightening the orcs near him. Just so long as none of them turned their blades on the horse!

Suddenly, with a rush of wings, Cassandra swooped into the fray, attacking with wings, beak and talons. That was one relief, she had returned. The orcs gave way just a little. Was it enough? Would one of the others be able to help Nikun? Could they even see him?

With a final pull Diomedes broke his tether and charged into the crowd of orcs, hooves and teeth flying. Nikun ducked to avoid both an orcish axe and a horse's hoof, caught the end of the rope and dragged himself onto the horse's back. His old riding master would have given him no points for style but then his old riding master wasn't trying to escape from orcs. With a final whinny, loud and triumphant, Diomedes burst free of the orcs and galloped away after the others with his rider frantically stowing his sword and knife whilst clinging on to the mane and the rope headcollar. Diomedes decided to follow the rest of the horses. It seemed his rider was no longer in control of the situation.

They'd lost tents, packs, food and all other equipment but at least it seemed that most of them were alive.

In a half daze, Nikun tried to look round for Lauri, Pherphin and Tari. He had no idea whether they had escaped, or even if they were alive. Looking round made him dizzy so he returned to clinging on to the galloping horse. Perhaps his old riding master had taught him a few things and his first pony had given him good balance. It was then he remembered the falcon. She was flying above them now. Nikun smiled to himself through the exhaustion. His horse had probably saved his life and his falcon had returned. He just hoped that his friends had been so lucky and that his luck would hold. Perhaps word would have reached Minas Tirith already and the king would send troops to deal with this band of orcs.
She_of_the_White_Flames
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 09:53
"Come on old girl, what is it that has you so spooked?" Liam asked in a soothing tone as he tried to mount his mare. Brassenaurian, however, would have none of it. She shied to the side and niehed anxiously. Liam pulled the reins down so that the mare's head was level with his own, "What is it?" he was getting exasperated.
From across the clearing, Calmir laughed. "Having a bit of trouble with that horse are we?" He walked over to where his son was struggleing with the mare. "Hush now Brassenaurian. I'll have no more of that!" the horse whickered in responce, she was starting to calm down, if only a bit. "There, there...Hush now..." Calmir's voice was but a whisper as the mare finnaly quieted.
"I wonder what got into her." said Liam as he mounted the now gental animal.
"I don't know. She's usually good tempered." Calmir walked back over to his stallion and finished clearing the traces of their meal away. He then mounted and walked rode over to his son. Suddenly, Diallan spooked, and so did Brassenaurian.
"Hey! What is all this? What are you doing Diallan?"
"Father, I think there's something wrong, I think they smell something." Liam said the last as he got Brass back under controll.
"You know, m'boy, I think you may be right." Calmir was still trying to calm his horse.
"I am going to have a look about. You stay here with the horses, alright father?" Liam questioned.
"Alright. I'll see if I can't get these ninnies to shush up a bit." Calmir's voice was agitated. If there was anything, It would have their heads if the horses kept up this racket!
Liam dismounted and handed the reins to this father, who was still atop Diallan. With quiet steps, he made his way to the edge of the trees. Looking out, he spotted what had scared the horses. Liam's mouth dropped open as he took in the scene that was taking place not three hundred yards away. A group of people were trying to escape a very large band of orcs. Needless to say, the orcs were winning. Liam's mind went into overdrive, How can they have gotten so close to the city? What are they doing? Who are those people they are attacking? One thing, however, was very clear to him: The king had to warned. Now, before the orcs could cause any more havoc. Liam races back to the clearing where Calmir was.
"What is it boy? What is wrong?" Calmir saw the fear in his son's eyes and knew the horses had not been over reacting. Something was very wrong.
"Orcs," Liam panted, "not far from here...They're ripping what might be a hunting party to shreads!" His voice was filled with panic. Those people needed help!
"We must warn the king. If orcs are about, Minas Tirith must know. Come, we ride!" Calmir had handed Brassenaurian's reins to her master, and Liam had mounted.
"No father," he said, "you go and warn the city. I am going to help those people." Calmir looked at Liam for a moment. He knew that the chance of his son comeing back alive was not that good. But he also knew that twenty years ago, he would have done the same thing.
"Alright." said Calmir "You go help. But be carefull. If you are too outnumbered, you get out of there. Will you promise me that?"
"Yes, father. I promise I will come back alive. And I will do my best to ensure that the orcs do not." Calmir grasped his son's shoulder for a moment, then they both rode off their seperate ways.

Liam felt Brassenaurian's powerfull muscles working beneath him as they flew towards the battle. He drew his sword and hacked off the head of one of the filthy beasts that was well apart form the others as he passed it. The orc fell with a shreik. He saw that the ones he had come to help were deperatly trying to outrun their persuers. They seemed to be a band of rangers, he thought he recognised a few. The orc numbers were much greater, but if there were less on the tails of the rangers, the rangers just might be able to escape. Liam quickly made up his mind as to what he was going to do. He put his hunting horn to his lips and gave a long blow. The sound atracted the attention of some of the orcs, and they took off after him. Liam lead them off into the woods and away from the others.

Calmir was rinding toward Minas Tirith as fast as he could. Suddenly, he felt a white hot pain in his shoulder, and them a dull pain in his back. He relised that he had been shot, and that the force of it had knocked him off of Diallan. Calmir tried to sit up, so that he could see what it was that had shot him. But he found that he could not move, at least, he could not move his legs. He did manage to get into a sitting position, and he looked around. Diallan was standing quite near to him, and the stallion was very anxious. Still, Calmir could not see anything. He closed his eyes and listened. He could just hear something moving in the bushes about thirty feet ahead of him. His eyes snapped open just in time to see a group of six orcs walk out from the cover they had taken. "Well, well, what have we got here? Looks like dinner to me, eh boys?" the lead orc laughed to his companions. That same orc then proceded to take aim at Diallan.
"No!" shouted Calmir as the orc fired. Diallan moved just in time, and the orcs shot went wide. Then, the stallion lowered his ears and reared up, bringing his hooves crashing down onto the skull of an orc. The lead orc swung at the horse with it's sword, but Calmir was too quick, and shot down the revolting creature before it had a chance to strike the animal. His bow sang as he shot down another, and Diallan trampled the remaining two. The horse then came back to his master, and whickered to him. It seemed almost like he was asking what was wrong. Calmir tried to mount, he needed to get help, but he could not. For he still coud not move his legs. His vision was beginning to go blurry, and sounds were becomeing faint. He HAD to get help soon, or else he would die.

Liam was sitting as still as he possibly could in the boughs of a tall tree. Several orcs were standing below him. He had sent Brassenaurian off by herself, she would head back for Minas Tirith he knew, and he hoped she would be fast enough without him to outrun the orcs. So now he was cornered in a tree with certain death waiting below. "Come out come out, we know you're here, human. We can smell your fear." At these words the hair on the back of Liam's neck stood on end. The fact that they could disern his feelings, just by the smell of him, was deeply disturbing. It was also scary to know that they could find him by his smell, it was just a matter of time. He simply prayed that it would be enough time. That maybe, on some slim chance, help would come before they thought to look up. Fat chance of that though. Me and my stupid ideas. 'Why don't I lead them away so that they're on MY tail. Then maybe the other people will escape from the five thousand OTHER ocrs that are still hunting them.' Oh yes, very smart. Wonderfull plan Liam. And now that you've sealed your own doom, why don't you just wallow in the knowledge that those other rangers probably were eaten already. This is SO much fun.

OOC: Hello all! :wave: You can check out the profiles of Calmir and Liam in the DB. And will someone please help them out? I've realy gotten them into a fix... :evil:
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2006 06:49
(welcome!)

Pherphin pushed Lauri's horse to go faster. He knew that if they did not outrun the orcs, Lauri was as good as dead. He caught a glimpse of the city of Minis Tirith and thanked the Valar. He wrapped an arm around Lauri and pushed Her horse to go the fastest it had ever gone.

---

Zedna and Blenki soon were surrounded by the orcs. they stood back to back, fighting back the orcs. If they had been able to look around, they would have seen many of Zee's and Lauri's rangers fall. The odds were against them, and they most surely would have died if something ha not caught the orc's attention.
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 05, 2006 12:33
OOC: Welcome.
Can we start an OOC thread to think how we're going to get out of this?

[Edited on 5/6/2006 by Hainima]
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 03:43
((that's fine, just post here if you start one telling us.))
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 08:52
OK: It's
here

[Edited on 7/6/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
Iceman331
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 05:35
OOC: Mind if I join?

Hildebrand grumbled under his breath as he sped towards the retreating rangers at the head of a small company of soldiers. He was grumbling about everything in general, but especially against the tremendous plunge in the quality of the rangers. Everything had changed for the better since Aragorn had become king except that. Faramir was an excellent ranger but since he was away in Rohan that didn't help much. He couldn't imagine how they had managed to be surprised by orcs. It was unthinkable! Neither he nor any of the others would forget that lesson for a long time. He had luckily been at some distance when they had surprised, and seeing that the lightly armed rangers would be massacred, he had hurried to Minas Tirith for help.

Hildebrand was still criticizing himself for his lack of watchfulness as the first of the retreating rangers passed him. He and his company quickly formed a shieldwall and prepared to meet the assault of the orcs. The orcs came on and flung themsleves against the wall of spears and shields, trusting to their numbers to prevail. The battered remains of the ranger companies were mostly gone by now, but the rescue force was heavily engaged. The shieldwall held the first few charges but while they were being attacked in front a party of orcs circled them and attacked from the rear. A wild melee ensued. The Gondorian soldiers fought grimly, back to back. Many orcs fell but their overwhelming numbers chipped away at the ebbing strength of Hildebrand's men.

OOC: Ok now someone come rescue me.
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 05:17
OOC: looks like you need some help.

Macar knelt in the center of their camp, he had first seen signs of battle a few leagues away several hours earlier.
"Well Hithan, It looks like they'll be needing some help."
His wolfs ears perked up at those words, it was the first time Macar had adknowledged fellow rangers in quite some time. He was known for wandering around alone, except for his wolf. They both ran off into the night in pursuit of their fellow rangers and the orcs who had attacked them.
Coming up silently in the woods they saw a group of Minas Tirithian (is that a real word?) soldiers surrounded by a hoard of orcs.
"Well, we have to do something." Said Macar as he strung his bow. Quickly he let an arrow fly into the orc hoard. Before the arrow had struck his target he had sprinted off to another vantage point where he shot again, he continued this attack for several shots before realizing that he would run out of arrows long before all the orcs were dead.
"We must find aid, if we could find the rangers I believe that there may be enough to turn the tide of this battle. Hithan, can you look for a sign of where they went?" At his command Hithan bounded away. Within a few minutes he came back, Macar sprinted after him to the trail he had scented. As Macar came up behind the rangers he yelled "We must find aid or aid them ourselves! We cannot let them die like this!"
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 04:58
Laurithain felt Pherphins arm around her as she sat atop her horse while gallopping towards Minas Tirith. His arm made her feel safe and secure atop her pureblooded stallion. She looked ahead and saw a man lying on the ground. She yelled for Pherphin to stop, and he looked at her as if she was crazy. "He needs help!" she insisted. While they stopped to help the man onto her horse, an arrow flew into the fray. It was a gondorian ranger arrow, and she was glad when it hit it's target. Another flew in and hit another orc, and by that time the wounded man was on the horse. Her group was in full retreat, and they passed a small, defending band of guards of Minas Tirith, and as she looked back, the rest of her group made it by. She was worried, though, when the orcs flung themselves at the soldiers at full force. She was nearly out of hope, but when she saw what issued from the city and at the same moment from Ithilien, her heart grew glad. Two hundred Gondorian soldiers charged from in front of the orcs, and them parted as they ran past, allowing the rangers to go through without fear. From Ithilien there issued a great host of rangers, arrows flying. Laurithain saw these things and her heart seemed to lighten. One thing she noticed, also, was a wolf running alongside a male ranger, who was charging at the front of the ranger group. She smiled to herself as Pherphin gallopped her horse through the city gates and helped her dismount. Her attention turned to the man on the horse, wounded fatally...
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: July 10, 2006 08:15
xxrivendelldaughterxx ...

I think you are mixing up some locations. North Ithilien is easily 100 miles from Minas Tirith, South Ithilien 150 miles. Are you sure you don't mean Osgiliath, the river city across the plains of Pelennor?

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2006 04:21
OOC: not to get technical with a mod or anything but, actually its more like 65 miles from Henneth Annun to Minas Tirith...not 100, but thats just me using the map in the back of rotk with the scale and using the atlas of middle earth. They're on horseback and the closest distance I could find was the ride of the rohirrim in which during a dawn to dusk ride they covered 80 miles at 6.7 mph. The battle of pelennor fields was mid march which means there's 12 hours of daylight, so tolkiens ride comes out to 11.9 which is just shy of 12 hours so it checks out. Top horses can do 100 miles in 10-12 hours. The run to minas tirith was more like 50 miles because we already headed east on our route to the shire. It still took close to 7 hours on horseback for the riders. I don't know how Laurithain saw Macar and Hithan so soon though when we had gone back to Henneth Annun with several other rangers to get horses, supplies, arrows for his bow, and a few additional rangers before chasing after them. We were still a good 6-10 miles away when we estimated they'd reached Minas Tirith.

IC: Macar smiled grimly as he heard the sounds of battle up ahead. This time he knew luck was not with the orcs as they had already started retreating back to the north. Luckily the rangers he had brought were there to destroy the fleeing ones. As Macar battled an Orc on the right side of his orc he could see out of the corner of his eye another orc smiling widely as it was about to hit him. There was no defense he could offer. Suddenly Hithan bounded past and buried the orc. Using his mighty paws Hithan tore the orc to pieces. As Hithan had attacked, Macar quickly finished the other, distracted orc. Hithan gave a quick glance up and Macar smiled and gave a nod to him. Macar thanked the gods again, and it wasn't for the first time, and wouldn't be for the last, that he had saved this wolf from starvation when its mother had died. Another ranger approached cautiously, Macar wasn't known too well to the other rangers.
"Should we return to Henneth Annun now that battle is finished?" said the ranger.
"Shortly, for now I want to check in on the other rangers, primarily Laurithain, and see that she is okay. From the blood on the ground back at the original fight, several are wounded from the looks of it, but I don't know how. We will enter the city and go to the house of healing."
Taking his own instructions, Macar rode hard into Minas Tirith, with Hithan at his side. As he entered the House of Healing he saw Laurithain, in bed but awake. She didn't look as if she would die, and Macar took heart.
"Come Hithan, we must see what we should do."
Hithan and Macar went up to Laurithain slowly.
"Laurithain?" Macar asked softly. "Laurithain what would you have us do?"

OOC: just going to put this out there, I really dislike not being able to write lines for other people, it lessens how much I can type and I may have to make another character or something, or talk to myself.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: July 11, 2006 07:22
o8strider,

I think you have missed the point of my comment. Did you read xxrivendelldaughterxx's last post? And I quote:::"..what issued from the city and at the same moment from Ithilien.." It struck me as impossible, whether the distance was 65 or 100 miles (I was using the atlas of Middle Earth, by the way). And as I've read the LOTR, The HOBBIT, Silmarillion, and have the entire HOME plus his letters and misc. books, it is unnecessary to give me a lecture on what Tolkien had to say.

Also, you're OOC comment reflects what is commonly referred to as 'Godmodding'; i.e. speaking/acting for or manipulating someone else's character (unless of course you have their express permission). The art of good RPG'ing is for the players to ask questions, speak lines, leave 'end' sentences in their posts that draw the next poster into a response of some kind, thus giving the feeling that a conversation is actually going on and moving the plotline along. If you feel like you're 'talking to yourself' then you are not interracting in a RPG manner with the other players.

BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator

Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
o8strider8o
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2006 03:35
OOC: ah, I caught my mistake, I thought she meant troops coming out of the city at the same time as a group was coming up from behind from Ithilien. And I too was using the maps. As for my OOC post, what I meant was it doesn't like...go fast enough? Like I was expecting (since this is my first RP) that people would respond more than once every other day or so. But I didn't alter her character I just asked how she could have seen us when we were coming down behind them, going against the mistake i caught earlier.
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2006 05:57
OOC:lol, sorry, I did mean osgiliath, I had accidentally been thinking of ithilien at the moment I meant to type osgiliath, I thought that was the ithilien area, so I got a little confused, lol.
by the way, Lauri was kind of pan scanning everything, lol. I think we all kind of had a "brain dead" moment there. I give permission for people to use my character to help with their "moments" in posts, like when they meet up, or when asking a question, I think it helps people think more about the plot line. Sorry for the mix up BerethEdhellen. I haven't read all the maps of ME, I've looked somewhat, but not studied. It's cool that you're such a tolkien fanatic!

xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2006 01:24
Laurithain sat up in her bed at the sound of the voice. She startled a bit to see a ranger AND a wolf by her bedside, but she calmed down. "Brave one, what do they call you?" When he answered, she nodded. "Macar. I thank you for summoning more rangers to assist in the attack. Laurithain's wounds did not hurt her now that they had been properly cared for. She sat up a little too fast, though, when she remembered the other rangers, and sank back, holding her side. "Pherphin, Nikun, Tari, are they safe? And what of the others, Zedna, and the man wounded on the horse?" Macar seemed confused. Laurithain realized that he must not know too many of the rangers from where she patrolled normally, so she explained, "They were my companions. Pherphin is the one who helped me into the city on my horse. They are not wounded, are they?" A screech was heard, the cry of a hawk or a falcon, and she knew the answer to her own question as a now familiar shadow darkened the doorway...

Moderator's note
This thread doesn't meet the criteria for being in the Totally Tolkien forum, as explained in the'One Rule' thread above and is to be moved to the TR forum

[Edited on 20/8/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Hainima
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2006 01:28
[OOC: Sorry about the long silence. Combination of computer problems and not being too sure about where this story was going. However, I guess Laurithain as been looking at the figure in the doorway for rather a long time now. Hope the rest of you still want to keep going.]
[IC]

Diomedes followed the press of horses and riders through the gate of Minas Tirith, his rider still clinging on. Hands grabbed the bridle and Nikun slithered to the ground. His left arm was throbbing and the fingers seemed to have gone numb. His legs failed him and he collapsed onto the ground.

Somebody was making a noise. This broke into Nikun's sleep. He tried shouting at the person to ask for quiet but his voice didn't seem to work. A voice said "Drink this" and something was put to his lips. He slept again. When he awoke the person making the noise had stopped shouting and started mumbling. This person seemed to have a headache. Nikun tried looking round for them but it made the headache worse and seemed to make his ears buzz. The same voice said "Drink this" and once again he slept. Much later he tried opening his eyes and looking round. The person seemed to be quiet now and his head didn't ache so much.

Nikun looked round at the room. It was a small room with a single cot bed in it. One of the healers entered. "Ah, you are awake at last. How do you feel now?" Nikun was uncertain. "I feel somewhat recovered, thank you. What became of the other patient? He seemed grevious sick. His shouts woke me several times. Did he live?" The healer seemed confused. "You were alone, my lord. There has been no other patient in this room. You cried out many times. You have lost much blood and should rest. Your arm should not be moved. It has been mended with all skill but I trust it was not your sword arm, for you may never be able to wield a sword in battle with it."

Nikun assured the healer it was not his sword arm and lay back on the bed, wondering if it was the end of his life as a ranger. Fighting orcs needed two good arms. "My horse, Diomedes, is he cared for? Is he well?" The healer replied that he knew nothing of the horse but would send a boy to enquire.

Another healer entered and stared down at Nikun. Leading the other healer from the room he murmured, "He looks like Ianon of Dol Amroth, but he's too old. Should we send for Ianon? He is in the city with the knights. Perchance this is one of his kin. I recall that Ianon had a brother but rumour was that he was dead."

They dispatched one of the errand boys to find Ianon of Dol Amroth and bring him to the Houses of Healing and to enquire for the horse, Diomedes.

Some time later one of the young knights in the service of the Prince of Dol Amroth entered the Houses of Healing, looking from room to room. He heard a falcon cry outside but had no knowledge of the bird, assuming it to be in the mews with the other birds of prey. He looked into one of the rooms and saw a female ranger lying there. She seemed to recognise him although he had never seen her before. One of the healers approached, "She was the leader of the band of rangers that escaped from the orcs. She has been asking for her companions but we know them not. Do you know Pherphin, Tari or Nikun?" Ianon blinked at the last name. "I had a brother called Nikun but he is dead. At least, I believe him to be so. I have not seen him these ten years and more. Still, I will speak with this ranger, though I hear you have one in this house whom I should also meet."

He walked into the room and stood beside Laurithain. "Greetings, lady. You seem to know me, though I confess I have not seen you before."
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 01:20
(Glad to dsee someone else is still interestede)

Pherphin sat in the Garden on one of the higher levels of Minis Tirith, breathing in the clean scent. He hated being in this city, and was looking forward for everyone else to be ready to leave. He had been in and out of the other's rooms, but they had not been awake when he was there. Nikum was especially worriying him. When they had entered the city, his only wounds were a broken ankle and a slash in the side, but they couldn't keep him from walking around. Pherphin knew it was folly to walk on the broken ankle, but the room seemed more like a prison to him. He had told noone his name, as was his coustom in large cities. Pherphin laid down in the sunshine on the grass and was soon asleep.
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 17, 2006 04:28
OOC: SQUEE!!!! My thread is back up and running! Oops, sorry for the outburst. Wow, it took a while, but now I post again!

BIC: Laurithain whispered a single word: "Nikun?" She gave a start though when the man was revealed to not be the man she had hoped for. A soft sigh escaped her lips, but not before she noted how much he resembled Nikun. "I do not know thee, lord, but please tell me your name. You greatly resemble a man from my rangers. My name is Laurithain. What is yours?"
superlegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 03, 2006 10:33
Pherphin woke up sometime later, a slight shadow on his face. He looked up to see a young girl looking at him. "Who are you?" she asked. Pherphin just shook his head and pretended he didn't understand. "Don't play games with me," the girl said. "I heard you talking to your companion when you first got here. You need to come, the girl is awake." herphin jumped up, immediatly regretting his decision to do so quickly. "Put your hand on my shoulder," The girl instructed. Pherphin did, and they made theri was slowly down to Lauri.
xxrivendelldaughterxx
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2006 04:34
Laurithain looked up as Pherphin entered the room. She smiled broadly. "Greetings, friend. It has been a while since we saw each other last, hasn't it? The healers say I can be ready for travel by tomorrow. We can finally begin our quest. I hear there are others here who want to join us. Speaking of our quest, where is Nikun? Have you seen him? I long for some news of where he is..." She hoped and prayed silently that there would be some news.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email